PDA

View Full Version : Phantasy Star Online 2 Mirror Master :)

diamondx
Jan 13, 2015, 12:48 PM
i love pso2 to death, but i was wondering are there any game that are similair to pso2, like deep charactor createation mode and lots of magic and lots of little bit of everything. And it plays for the pc. can yall give some examples please, thanks a million in a half,

diamondx12

Vintasticvin
Jan 13, 2015, 12:57 PM
Honestly its hard to find a game like Pso2 deep customization nothing comes to mind but when it comes to mindless killing and looting I'd say Torchlight and Diablo.

Shinamori
Jan 13, 2015, 12:58 PM
Black Desert is the closest to PSO2 character customization, but it's Korea only right now.

Vintasticvin
Jan 13, 2015, 01:13 PM
Didn't stop us from pso2 jp.. Just Saiyan.

Walkure
Jan 13, 2015, 01:19 PM
Korean regulations on gaming are a lot more strict; it's really a whole different ball game. Registering for accounts involves giving an authentic SSN for identification.

Chimeria
Jan 13, 2015, 01:22 PM
The only games I can think of are Onigiri, Vindictus and Blade and Soul.

Onigiri (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAvdkOHfxFk) plays like a poor man's PSO2 with instanced dungeons, fast gameplay and anime-like grpahics. But keep in mind, it's nowhere near as fun and the character creation is VERY lacking.

Vindictus (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX3RYqFufUQ) also sort of plays like PSO2 and character creation tool is...ok...The issue with that game is that the classes are freakin' gender-locked.

And Blade and Soul (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFt2qF_As8I) isn't out in the US yet but I hear that it's already english patched. The gameplay in that game is also very fast-paced. It takes place in some sort of pseudo-Asian like setting. Some people can't get into it because it's overly-sexualized style but the game looks pretty fun. Most people here play female characters anyway...so if that's something that doesn't bother you, then go for it.

Maninbluejumpsuit
Jan 13, 2015, 01:26 PM
Korean regulations on gaming are a lot more strict; it's really a whole different ball game. Registering for accounts involves giving an authentic SSN for identification.

I can vouch for this. Getting into Ktera is a much larger pain in the ass than PSO2. CN blade and soul was also annoying as hell.

And Blade and Soul (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFt2qF_As8I) isn't out in the US yet but I hear that it's already english patched. The gameplay in that game is also very fast-paced. It takes place in some sort of pseudo-Asian like setting. Some people can't get into it because it's overly-sexualized style but the game looks pretty fun. Most people here play female characters anyway...so if that's something that doesn't bother you, then go for it.

What's not to like?

Chimeria
Jan 13, 2015, 01:37 PM
Some people I know just can't get into Hyung-Tae Kim's art style. I personally love it because I love the way he draws his women. But I have seen some people saying that it's just too sexy for them.

I understand to be honest....Some people don't want a hot piece of ass for their character. Everything from the way your character walks to the outfits are really sexy. Not as bad as Tera or Scarlet Blade though. Maybe they feel like it takes away from the game itself when you're concentrating on incredibly hot your character is. *shrug* I dunno.

strikerhunter
Jan 13, 2015, 01:39 PM
Black Desert is the closest to PSO2 character customization, but it's Korea only right now.

Agreed, seems like the closest to PSO2.

Vindictus (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX3RYqFufUQ) also sort of plays like PSO2 and character creation tool is...ok...The issue with that game is that the classes are freakin' gender-locked.

IMO nope. If it's close to anything that be Monster Hunter. It's character creation is the typical changing body portions, hair, color that most RPGs use.

Chimeria
Jan 13, 2015, 01:44 PM
IMO nope. If it's close to anything that be Monster Hunter. It's character creation is the typical changing body portions, hair, color that most RPGs use.
My sis says some boss fights in PSO2 remind her or MH so I guess it's subjective. I was just throwing some ideas out there. Basically anything that isn't a tab-based, point and click MMORPG.

Digital Pain
Jan 13, 2015, 01:45 PM
Like Chimeria suggested try out Blade and Soul! it has a great combat system for an MMO and decent customisation.

The Korean version is difficult to register for so go with the CN version, or if your ping is terrible to China which it most likely is then try out the Russian Private server. While the private server is outdated there's still enough for you to play/get used to the game mechanics etc.

Eternal255
Jan 13, 2015, 01:48 PM
I hear monster hunter is similar to pso playstyle tho its probably more like pso than pso2. and its also a 3ds game. never played it myself but interested in the new one coming out in march.

strikerhunter
Jan 13, 2015, 01:57 PM
I hear monster hunter is similar to pso playstyle tho its probably more like pso than pso2. and its also a 3ds game. never played it myself but interested in the new one coming out in march.

March? Before the thread is possibly derailed by MH talk, I'll just say that March is just a placeholder and not a confirmed date.

My sis says some boss fights in PSO2 remind her or MH so I guess it's subjective. I was just throwing some ideas out there. Basically anything that isn't a tab-based, point and click MMORPG.
In terms of designs, maybe but fights? that's a lol nope.

Syklo
Jan 13, 2015, 07:49 PM
I tried Blade and Soul and honestly, I've never quit a game so quickly.

Combat *looks* nice, but it's actually target/psuedo tab-clicker targeting combat. Meaning that melee just damages the closest enemy (not like pso2 with actual collision detection and what not).
Since it's also much more server based, lag = no movement at all, + grabbing attacks miss frequently with bad latency.
Also it's very, very repetitive, but I suppose that won't be much of an issue for you, initially.

Personally I'd argue that vindictus is better. Although it's kind of lackluster at the beginning.

On that note, there's also Dragon Nest and C9, but character customisation isn't as in-depth. I think c9's combat is better than B&S's, plus it's more client-sided as lag won't freeze you.

saraishadow
Jan 13, 2015, 07:59 PM
Two words

Champions Online

Enough said, too bad PWE ruined it :<

Chimeria
Jan 13, 2015, 08:25 PM
Two words

Champions Online

Enough said, too bad PWE ruined it :<
I freakin' love Champions Online and played it for years. The game is definitely fun and the character creator is ridiculously in-depth. You can literally create anyone you want to be with their own set of powers and backstory. It's nothing like PSO though...at all. lol. It's a superhero themed game with tab-targeting game-play. The combat is pretty fast paced though.

In it's current state, I wouldn't recommend it. They just had somewhat of an update some months ago, but besides that new content is scarce. The last BIG update they had was back in late 2011 I want to say...I'm surprised the game is still going to be honest with you. If you like superheroes, give it a try.

LonelyGaruga
Jan 13, 2015, 08:37 PM

There are lots of MH games for other systems. PS2, PSP, one for the Wii, even a couple online games. 3DS ones are just the newest.

I agree though, it's more similar to PSO than PSO2. Going from MH to PSO2, I felt some similarity at first, but the similarities are mainly superficial. MH is bosses all the time, with mobs being nuisances designed to get in your way. PSO2 is mobs all the time, with bosses being slight speed bumps. EQ bosses being the only exception. MH has many safeguards to prevent players from cheesing bosses (but some bosses get cheesed anyway), PSO2 deliberately encourages doing huge damage and cheesing bosses. MH restricts player skills to keep gameplay controlled and easier to balance, PSO2's skill design makes it nearly impossible to balance gameplay for all possibilities. They're pretty much the opposite in practice. Even their advertising campaigns are the opposite. MH emphasizes the bosses, players actually fight competently, and when they get hit they were in a bad spot or trying to avoid the attack. PSO2 emphasizes more player oriented stuff, players play incredibly poorly, and pretty much let themselves get hit.

Pretty much, MH is catering more toward gameplay, and PSO2 is catering more toward social stuff. So MH has a reason to be more difficult than the typical game (even if it's pretty easy when you're good at it, like everything is), and PSO2 has a reason to be a casual game. They're both action RPGs, but past that, the goals and gameplay styles heavily diverge so that there isn't anything in common that isn't true of dozens of other action RPGs.

Rien
Jan 13, 2015, 10:24 PM
The only games I can think of are Onigiri, Vindictus and Blade and Soul.

Onigiri (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAvdkOHfxFk) plays like a poor man's PSO2 with instanced dungeons, fast gameplay and anime-like grpahics. But keep in mind, it's nowhere near as fun and the character creation is VERY lacking.

1) Never trust Cyber$tep
2) English Nexons are shit
3) Even the males in B&S are sexualized, but some of the outfits are just copypasted onto everyone so don't be surprised when a big burly man runs past you in a tutu.