PDA

View Full Version : PSO2 Fan release version?

ArcaneTechs
Jan 16, 2015, 11:13 PM
Go wild:

http://tay.kotaku.com/fans-plan-to-release-phantasy-star-online-2-so-sega-doe-1677001975

yes its Shitaku

BIG OLAF
Jan 16, 2015, 11:14 PM
I think it's gross that AIDA and whoever else were mentioned on Kotaku. I'd be very disgusted if I were them.

Noc Codez
Jan 16, 2015, 11:16 PM
Why is it gross Olaf ?

Noblewine
Jan 16, 2015, 11:16 PM
Why is it gross Olaf ?

Kotaku is a lousy new-site that lies basically to click bait for money.

Edson Drake
Jan 16, 2015, 11:19 PM
I think it's gross that AIDA and whoever else were mentioned on Kotaku. I'd be very disgusted if I were them.

Yup. Kotaku is disgusting.

I read it anyway and it's awesome news though.

"Sega executives: Shut it down shut it down shut it down" comment was funny, but actually something that may happen unfortunately.

Let's hope not.

Nitro Vordex
Jan 16, 2015, 11:25 PM
UPDATE: Sega sent the following statement in reply to this story:
We don't have a comment on PSO2 in general beyond what we've already said before - that the game is delayed and that we'll update the public when we have any news.
[spoiler-box]http://i4.minus.com/ielIwVJAoQD0z.jpg[/spoiler-box]

EvilMag
Jan 16, 2015, 11:25 PM
Also Kotaku usually gets their information wrong. ESPECIALLY with PSO2 shit.

ShinMaruku
Jan 16, 2015, 11:30 PM
Kotaku is decent folks now. They got rid of the shit lord who is now at polygon. They get pso2 wrong because sega is shite. :E

pkemr4
Jan 16, 2015, 11:30 PM
copy paste it here. i aint clicking that shit nigga.

Noblewine
Jan 16, 2015, 11:43 PM
copy paste it here. i aint clicking that shit nigga.

^ What he/she said.

Cyron Tanryoku
Jan 16, 2015, 11:56 PM
personally i think making a server is more disgusting
anyone too lazy to just join already available servers doesn't deserve pampering lmao

RX-93
Jan 17, 2015, 12:07 AM
Well. This can only turn ugly real fast.

Cyron Tanryoku
Jan 17, 2015, 12:08 AM
oh yeah that too
shits probably gonna get a cease and desist really quick because such a project can take away potential money from SEGA

Noblewine
Jan 17, 2015, 12:19 AM
People are who are fans of their mmos can run a game better than SEGA.

The Walrus
Jan 17, 2015, 12:40 AM
Kinda hard to make honey out of shit though

wefwq
Jan 17, 2015, 01:21 AM
>Kotaku
Gross.

There's no way SEGA let those people do these thing to their main IP, i wont be surprised to see the next article being those people being hurled down to the court.

Z-0
Jan 17, 2015, 02:05 AM
If you really don't like certain sites and don't want to give them views, use http://archive.today and look at the page through that.

Xaeris
Jan 17, 2015, 02:08 AM
stevebowling.kinja.com

Because friends don't let friends give kotaku ad money.

untrustful
Jan 17, 2015, 02:09 AM
What do you do when you're a flagging game company that has managed to create a successful sequel to a beloved MMO? You release it in as many markets as possible. Unless, of course, you're Sega—then you just announce it and go silent for two years. A group of fans are looking to change that by building their own server and releasing PSO2 to the fans Sega has ignored.
Sega's Long Silence On Missing Game Disrespects Their Biggest Fans

In July of 2012, Sega announced plans to bring the popular multiplayer RPG Phantasy Star Online 2… Read more kotaku.​com

UPDATE: Sega sent the following statement in reply to this story:

We don't have a comment on PSO2 in general beyond what we've already said before - that the game is delayed and that we'll update the public when we have any news.

If you follow the PSO2 scene, you've probably heard of Cyberkitsune and AIDA. Together, the pair are responsible for keeping US players in the game. Following a crippling DDOS attack last June that resulted in Sega closing the game off from foreign players, they set up a now widely-used proxy that enables players to connect without need of a VPN. Now, however, it seems the pair have their sights set on a larger goal.

While the PSO2 Tweaker can get players in, "... client English patches can only go so far." Cyberkitsune told me during a Skype conversation a few weeks ago. Talks of modding the game, and even introducing English customer support—something foreign players can't enjoy right now, as the act of playing the game itself is now against the TOS—are going around. The only way to do this, however, is to build it yourself. Enter Polaris, the private PSO2 server project.

Fans Plan to Release Phantasy Star Online 2 So Sega Doesn't Have To [UPDATED]

It's ambitious, but already shows promise. The team, a group of about five fans, has reverse engineered enough of the game to have their private server up and running behind closed doors. I was told anyone with a good amount technical knowhow could download and set up the server and get it running right now.
[spoiler-box]
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--U1_FQdvP--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/rt8fsafzfcoth4m6847g.jpg
[/spoiler-box]
Though it runs, Polaris is in a very early stage. Players can create a character, run around and chat, but that's about it. The screenshot you see above is about the extent of what can be done with the project right now, but the team says they know what to do, it's just a matter of finding the time to do it.

As for concerns regarding how Sega might respond to this (I attempted to contact Sega for a response regarding this article, but did not hear back) Cyberkitsune hopes the company would allow the project to continue, or at minimum for it to force Sega's hand into releasing the game stateside. Both he and AIDA mentioned to me they would be happy to work with Sega on getting an official release put together, though neither group has reached out to the other.

Ideally, this project wouldn't have to exist. Sega has to be aware that there's a loyal fan base for the PSO series. If anything, Sega should step up to the plate and at least break their years-long silence regarding the status of the game. Let the community know where they stand. It's the least they can do for their most loyal fans.
For more information on the Polaris Project or the PSO2 Proxy, go to Cyberkitsune's page. Also check out AIDA's guide to starting a Japanese PSO2 account on Arks Layer. If you'd like to donate to their cause, you can do so on either of the pages linked above.

Ryo
Jan 17, 2015, 02:41 AM
Can't you guys be a little nicer? I'm the one that wrote that article for them.

Edson Drake
Jan 17, 2015, 02:46 AM
The article isn't bad, we just hate Kotaku because they're pure Venom(toward males).

Ryo
Jan 17, 2015, 02:53 AM
Well, thanks for reading it! I'd encourage people to read it. I'm not a Kotaku staffer though, their views don't reflect my own, and vice versa. They just happen to publish some of the stuff I write that they like.

If you really don't wanna give Kotaku the click, but would still like to read it, just go to stevebowling.kinja.com. You can see all my stuff there, including the stuff Kotaku publishes completely ad-free.

Xaeris
Jan 17, 2015, 02:55 AM
No, no. No need to make this about gender. kotaku peddles a flavor of shit that boys and girls of all ages can find repulsive under the purview of their wholesaler, Gawker.

Z-0
Jan 17, 2015, 02:55 AM
The article isn't bad, we just hate Kotaku because they're pure Venom(toward males).
Don't worry, it is justifiable as there is no such thing as reverse sexism! DISMANTLE THE PATRIARCHY!

Not sure why you're hating though, are you a misogynist?!!/1?////

edit: gawker lol

Ryo
Jan 17, 2015, 03:03 AM
Don't worry, it is justifiable as there is no such thing as reverse sexism! DISMANTLE THE PATRIARCHY!

Not sure why you're hating though, are you a misogynist?!!/1?////

edit: gawker lol

I thought we were friends, Zyn ;_;

Z-0
Jan 17, 2015, 03:11 AM
Let's just say I have a very strong opposition to what passes as social justice these days, especially certain ideological movements such as feminism.

It's honestly a disgrace to the human race how people buy into this stuff and think it's okay.

Ryo
Jan 17, 2015, 03:20 AM
Well, fortunately for both of us that's not what I write about :P

I need to add you on my new account, by the way.

Noblewine
Jan 17, 2015, 03:20 AM
I'm not reading anything they put on the internet. They need to take their dirty laundry elsewhere....

P.S. Get thunderfoot unbanned from Twitter.

What Edson said.

landman
Jan 17, 2015, 04:00 AM
personally i think making a server is more disgusting
anyone too lazy to just join already available servers doesn't deserve pampering lmao
I'm in favour of the idea of being able to play pso2 after sega has shut down their own servers, if only PSU had the same luck...

Cyber Meteor
Jan 17, 2015, 07:55 AM
Do we really have to worry about it? I mean, are they doing this without any concern about what could happen for foreign players currently on JP servers? Are they really sure SEGA won't do the C&D? SEGA responded to this saying they have nothing more to say than what has already been said about NA/EU release (delayed), and they use account bans as a "solution for everything". So i'm wondering if there is something to worry about.

Stealthcmc1974
Jan 17, 2015, 09:13 AM
^

I agree. Its also for these reason that I'm not too concerned about the PSO remaster project, even though that deals with some different legal stuff. In any event, SEGA should have said something by now. Their fault for flipping the bird to the West.

The Walrus
Jan 17, 2015, 09:15 AM
If sega really wants to they probably could find some way to shut it down. Never doubt a corporations ability to throw money at things until they're "right".

NoiseHERO
Jan 17, 2015, 09:19 AM
GL

5char

Stealthcmc1974
Jan 17, 2015, 09:20 AM
True, but I don't know if I would pursue that route if I were them, considering how poor they are doing financially. They should worry about improving themselves before worrying about what fans are doing in markets they have excluded.

landman
Jan 17, 2015, 09:29 AM
Third, I don't think SEGA even has enough US/EU employees left to send a C&D :| Did they ever hire people back after those layoffs?

I hope you don't seriously believe that, specially with the Alien Colonial Marines court stuff still fresh.

Another thing is if they just watch on it for the moment, they are not going to give any new answer specially not a PR.

ArataWata
Jan 17, 2015, 10:22 AM
Third, I don't think SEGA even has enough US/EU employees left to send a C&D :| Did they ever hire people back after those layoffs?

Sega was hit by layoffs?

When did this happen?

Ordy
Jan 17, 2015, 11:06 AM
If you follow the PSO2 scene, you've probably heard of Cyberkitsune and AIDA. Together, the pair are responsible for keeping US players in the game.

You make it sound like only US players are playing on the Japanese servers. And I can't agree when you say that AIDA and Cyberkitsune are "responsible" for keep us in the game. Lots of non-Japanese don't even use the tweaker, pso2proxy or a VPN at all.

They deserve the credit for making the game more EN-friendly, but don't forget that more than two people are responsible for keeping outsiders on PSO2jp.

Manta Oyamada
Jan 17, 2015, 11:46 AM
I agree with you Ordy.

Shinamori
Jan 17, 2015, 12:37 PM
I only use tweaker to update the. Also, yeah, I agree too. Hell, for ahwile people thouhgt tweaker was some sort of key logger. So, there wasnt that many people using tweaker.

Cyron Tanryoku
Jan 17, 2015, 01:46 PM
this game doesn't even exist outside Japan, and we're not supposed to be playing on their server according to THEIR Terms of Service, so they really have no grounds to stand on about us "taking money".
SEGA is blatantly aware that many english players are on their servers despite the ToS. Like, they don't need any grounds to C/D, it's their game lol.

All I'm saying is, if you were to pull this up while the game is active, no matter in how many years, you're at much higher risk of getting a C/D

BIG OLAF
Jan 17, 2015, 02:27 PM
True, but I don't know if I would pursue that route if I were them, considering how poor they are doing financially. They should worry about improving themselves before worrying about what fans are doing in markets they have excluded.

You don't know much about big ol' corporations, do ya?

The amount of time and money one of them would spend (and have spent) just to show "the little guy" that they make the rules would blow your mind.

Not that they'd all do that, but a heavy majority of them would at least try a 'cease and desist' order/lawsuit, I'd wager.

EDIT: As far as Kotaku goes being a 'social justice mole' site and all that, that's not even the main reason I hate them. I hated them long before they were outed in that whole debacle, but that stuff gave me a reason to despise them with a fiery passion, along with Polygon and all the others. But, beyond that, they're just a terrible publication company. Anyone remember how they always used to post major game spoilers in article titles? Yeah.

Stealthcmc1974
Jan 17, 2015, 02:39 PM
They probably will make a C/D, I'm just from the viewpoint that they should fix their own shit first. SEGA was never bright though.

I guess if you want to summarize my opinion, its would be basically:

- SEGA probably won't agree with this in the slightest, despite the fact the West is not a market they shipped the game to. They will send a C/D even though they never accounted for the West to play this game in the first place. They will spend exorbitant amounts of money in legal proceedings to get this stop when they already hurting financially and have refused to make one of their few sources of profit available in more markets.

SEGA will be SEGA

untrustful
Jan 17, 2015, 02:45 PM
Guys

It's not a big deal.

Guys.

Stealthcmc1974
Jan 17, 2015, 02:49 PM
Perhaps not, but I still enjoy talking about stuff like this. IDC one way or the other about what happens.

landman
Jan 17, 2015, 04:20 PM
They probably will make a C/D, I'm just from the viewpoint that they should fix their own shit first. SEGA was never bright though.

I guess if you want to summarize my opinion, its would be basically:

- SEGA probably won't agree with this in the slightest, despite the fact the West is not a market they shipped the game to. They will send a C/D even though they never accounted for the West to play this game in the first place. They will spend exorbitant amounts of money in legal proceedings to get this stop when they already hurting financially and have refused to make one of their few sources of profit available in more markets.

SEGA will be SEGA

They are not taking risks, not "hurting financially", they still release plenty of arcade games and are succesful with them, in Japan, they release some console big productions, in Japan, they are the top 3 Japanese producer in mobile games, in Japan, they release plenty of successful strategy PC games, in the west, and Sonic Boom is selling toys like crazy. Not to mention they have been buying other companies like Atlus and Relic Entertaiment. That's not something a "hurting financially" company usually does.

Stealthcmc1974
Jan 17, 2015, 04:30 PM
They are not taking risks, not "hurting financially", they still release plenty of arcade games and are succesful with them, in Japan, they release some console big productions, in Japan, they are the top 3 Japanese producer in mobile games, in Japan, they release plenty of successful strategy PC games, in the west, and Sonic Boom is selling toys like crazy. Not to mention they have been buying other companies like Atlus and Relic Entertaiment. That's not something a "hurting financially" company usually does.

Okay well, I never said risks. And fine, in Japan they are doing okay. But they still could be doing better. I had in mind more of a global market than anything.

As far as Sonic Boom, people, stop buying those toys! We don't want them to continue with that monstrosity!

Also never heard of Relic Entertainment, but did hear about them buying Atlus.

But yeah, I don't really give two shits about them being fine in Japan. How the hell is that good for me as a consumer in the West?

landman
Jan 17, 2015, 04:59 PM
Their top selling games worldwide are actually western games: Football Manager and Total War. + Alien, and Sonic in the last place.

Sizustar
Jan 17, 2015, 05:01 PM
Okay well, I never said risks. And fine, in Japan they are doing okay. But they still could be doing better. I had in mind more of a global market than anything.

As far as Sonic Boom, people, stop buying those toys! We don't want them to continue with that monstrosity!

Also never heard of Relic Entertainment, but did hear about them buying Atlus.

But yeah, I don't really give two shits about them being fine in Japan. How the hell is that good for me as a consumer in the West?

They are a Japanese company, why should they care about the Western market?

Stealthcmc1974
Jan 17, 2015, 05:26 PM

They are not strictly a Japanese company, and they have SoA and SoE for a reason. If they have divisions specifically for the western market, it doesn't make sense to not care about it. But I digress.

Noblewine
Jan 17, 2015, 06:19 PM
I think were giving Otaku attention and that's what they want atm. Just ignore it.
Also I believe what Aida and Cyber are doing is for a good cause and its hurting no one.

/end thread.

NoiseHERO
Jan 17, 2015, 06:22 PM
o_o kotaku is pretty pathetic but what's with the strong emotion-

nvm

Noblewine
Jan 17, 2015, 06:25 PM
o_o kotaku is pretty pathetic but what's with the strong emotion-

nvm

That simple. They wrote a ton of stupid click bait articles claiming "Gamers are dead" and so did their affiliates after they were exposed for colluding with one another and indie-game developers.

Hysteria1987
Jan 17, 2015, 06:48 PM
I do think this is at a bit of a risk of a C/D but I would like it to to succeed. What I've heard is planned at the moment-

* Things are free! I'd love to be able to screw around with my hair colour whenever I wanted.
* Some measures may be implemented to not ruin the market re. AC scratch content- last time I was in a convo where this was talked about nothing had been decided.
* The server will be kept up to date with JP.
* They'll be able to 'read' your characters on the JP server and transfer a copy of them directly over to Polaris, so you aren't starting at square one.

Of course I'm not related to the project in any way, this is just from conversations I was in a while back.

Macman
Jan 18, 2015, 01:10 AM
$$$$$££££££¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥

I mean it works for Nintendo...

Nitro Vordex
Jan 18, 2015, 02:13 AM
They are not strictly a Japanese company, and they have SoA and SoE for a reason. If they have divisions specifically for the western market, it doesn't make sense to not care about it. But I digress.
SoJ and SoA are pretty much different companies, at this point. Not to mention SoJ just kinda shits all over SoA, and SoA only wants to make Sonic games, sports games and movie tie-ins, because that's what sells. Which brings me to-

$$$$$££££££¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥

I mean it works for Nintendo...
Nintendo can make basically any Mario, Zelda, whatever game and everyone will eat that shit up. Granted, Nintendo actually makes decent (at worst!) games. Sega's track record...not so much. Phantasy Star, as a series, wasn't exactly a money maker, in the U.S., anyway. Plus it's been so long they're probably thinking it's just not worth bringing the game here. They've been at it for 2 (3?) years in Japan, and they announced an NA version and just died. No one who was even remotely interested even cares now, and those that do are a very small minority that would not turn profits. Sega is also terrible at advertising, and even if they did, guess what! That costs money!

tl;dr sega needs more bikinis and pachinko machines in Japan more than they need anything of actual value in the rest of the world

Xaelouse
Jan 18, 2015, 03:03 AM
If Americans got the game as it is now, it'll get shit on or left dead for WoW/FFXIV pretty quickly.
Modern Japan have bad taste when it comes to anything but porn games, so it's fine there since Sega can fly with a lot of stuff easily and get away with it.

Nitro Vordex
Jan 18, 2015, 03:06 AM
If Americans got the game as it is now, it'll get shit on or left dead for WoW/FFXIV pretty quickly.
I'd say it'd fill a hole that Vindictus left pretty darn well. It's not easily compared to WoW/FFXIV due to real time combat, even if it does have similar points. (Simply put, PSO2 leans towards an action RPG, while the other two are full MMO, and mostly MMO with Action RPG elements, respectfully.) The issue is how far behind it would be, and how mostly sure we are it would be run into the ground.

Modern Japan have bad taste when it comes to anything but porn games, so it's fine there since Sega can fly with a lot of stuff easily and get away with it.
I'm sorry, what?

Z-0
Jan 18, 2015, 05:36 AM
* They'll be able to 'read' your characters on the JP server and transfer a copy of them directly over to Polaris, so you aren't starting at square one.
I highly doubt that one -- they'll probably just ask for information, but I could be wrong obviously. That being said, character transfers are a thing:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PSO2/comments/2mpj9j/if_the_western_release_were_to_arrive_soon_would/cm6jifu?context=3

FacelessRed
Jan 18, 2015, 05:56 AM
SEGA takes legal issues very seriously. If this does get the go-ahead I would advise the people responsible to have their legal team ready, as PSO is one of SEGA Japans biggest Intellectual properties. They can also hold the fact you have taken or need donations to run such services against you.

Quite frankly after a recent conversation with parties involved, I could care less if they got legally destroyed, but for the greater good of the PSO community, I'd advise against releasing any further information publicly and perhaps brush up on a few legal loop-holes that may see you at least don't get sued into another dimension.

Vatallus
Jan 18, 2015, 07:30 AM
In short the DMCA says private servers are illegal unless you have consent from the actual game owners. There are probably loopholes but the only loophole I use to know is now illegal in the DMCA's eyes also.

Look at it this way. If Sega actively wants to hunt down the server owners of the private server if it ever gets launched... then they will. It is pretty hard for a private company to just come looking into your private property but with enough money and lawyers they can. You'll have a fun time of constantly changing server host trying to evade Sega until they either get enough info to sue your host or figure out where you actually are. (Assuming you aren't being your own host.)

No I don't have previous expertise in hosting private servers. I just use to play one that was actively being hunted by the actual game owners for a few years before they finally got enough info to bring the private server owner to court.

Don't get me wrong. I love the work these people put into Tweaker, PSOProxy, etc so that english players can play this great game... but just figured I'd let you have a heads up in what you will be facing if you ever launch it and Sega wants you gone.

the_importer_
Jan 18, 2015, 09:42 AM
Let's face it, eve if there was a private server tomorrow, I don't think many of us would move there anymore than we would move to an official US server. We've invested too much time (and money for some) in PSO2 JPN to move now.

BIG OLAF
Jan 18, 2015, 10:17 AM
I'm sorry, what?

I think(?) what he meant was that, since things like softcore porn are available on public access TV over there, along with a myriad of other cultural practices that Western people would be nothing short of appealed at, SEGA couldn't really transfer a lot of the outfits from the Japanese PSO2 over to the Western one without shrill outcries of "MISOGYNY!!" by the droves of lunatics.

the_importer_
Jan 18, 2015, 11:32 AM
I think(?) what he meant was that, since things like softcore porn are available on public access TV over there, along with a myriad of other cultural practices that Western people would be nothing short of appealed at, SEGA couldn't really transfer a lot of the outfits from the Japanese PSO2 over to the Western one without shrill outcries of "MISOGYNY!!" by the droves of lunatics.

Misogyny? What ever do you mean good sir?

[spoiler-box]http://i61.tinypic.com/2ujh3xw.jpg[/spoiler-box]

Ya I know, Japan, fanservice, etc.. Still, bikini's are one thing, but these outfits, it's like they're not even trying anymore.

landman
Jan 18, 2015, 12:44 PM
It would be an excuse to release new clothes, both the skimpy and the "normal" version (and pleeeease I want female options with trousers!)

Tenlade
Jan 18, 2015, 01:12 PM
Hey guys - Just some clarification:

First of all, we're not doing anything illegal. We're not modifying the client, and the server is 100% homegrown code. We're also not making any profit from the server. Plus, this game doesn't even exist outside Japan, and we're not supposed to be playing on their server according to THEIR Terms of Service, so they really have no grounds to stand on about us "taking money".

Second of all, this server won't be complete for a LONG time. So there's nothing SEGA really needs to worry about now, it was more of a "Hey SEGA, maybe if you stopped rebooting franchises that didn't need it and worried about your US PS fanbase, you could make some money." than a "Bwhahahahaa SEGA! I'm free to conquer the non-JP fanbase and make all the money you could have!".

reverse engineering servers is often a EULA violation, not that i can read it in this case or it even matters since just us playing the game is a violation itself.

Of course, they didnt care about that *pso server who's name is apparently filtered here*, essen's psu server attempt, the english patches, or the proxies, so I highly doubt they'll be rushing to strike down this.

The Walrus
Jan 18, 2015, 01:19 PM
Weren't PSO and PSU already shutdown before those servers really started though?

Shinamori
Jan 18, 2015, 01:21 PM
SEGA takes legal issues very seriously. If this does get the go-ahead I would advise the people responsible to have their legal team ready, as PSO is one of SEGA Japans biggest Intellectual properties. They can also hold the fact you have taken or need donations to run such services against you.

Quite frankly after a recent conversation with parties involved, I could care less if they got legally destroyed, but for the greater good of the PSO community, I'd advise against releasing any further information publicly and perhaps brush up on a few legal loop-holes that may see you at least don't get sued into another dimension.

Sega's actually kind of lack when it comes to several IPs, like Sonic. There's tones of (mostly bad) Sonic fan-games. Some have existed for years. Hell, there's even Sonic rom hacks that Sega knows about and has worked with the very place in which most of them a posted. Sega of Japan may run differently though, so who knows.

Cyron Tanryoku
Jan 18, 2015, 01:40 PM
Weren't PSO and PSU already shutdown before those servers really started though?
I think so

With PSO and PSU, SEGA already stopped supporting them so if people wanted to make their own servers they wouldn't give a damn

But PSO2 is currently active and such a private server can possibly take away from them, like I said before.

pso2love
Jan 18, 2015, 02:17 PM
I think so

With PSO and PSU, SEGA already stopped supporting them so if people wanted to make their own servers they wouldn't give a damn

But PSO2 is currently active and such a private server can possibly take away from them, like I said before.

So, what IF SEGA actually went through with the C&D.... and says/does nothing new (besides the same copy paste answer we've been getting for 2 years)?

Xaelouse
Jan 18, 2015, 02:43 PM
I'm sorry, what?

You're crazy if you haven't noticed how much lower Japan's standards of quality have been for the past 10 or so years.
It's why more successful JP game companies have been catering to the West than their actual country. The weaker companies decide to keep their games JP-only because they know only their countrymen would eat that shit up and like it.
Mobage is probably the worst thing to happen over there. New Secret of Mana? Too bad, mobile. New Breath of Fire? Too bad, mobile.

Triple_S
Jan 18, 2015, 03:05 PM

It might get shit on for having skimpy outfits, but it offers unique and fun gameplay. It's something very different from WoW and FFXIV, the former being a game that should have died ages ago tbh; IMO it has shit gameplay compared to Guild Wars, FFXIV, and damn near every online PS game. I didn't even like it when it came out!

Sayara
Jan 18, 2015, 03:06 PM
So, what IF SEGA actually went through with the C&D.... and says/does nothing new (besides the same copy paste answer we've been getting for 2 years)?

Then you would have to deal with it. I guess?

FacelessRed
Jan 18, 2015, 04:27 PM
Sega's actually kind of lack when it comes to several IPs, like Sonic. There's tones of (mostly bad) Sonic fan-games. Some have existed for years. Hell, there's even Sonic rom hacks that Sega knows about and has worked with the very place in which most of them a posted. Sega of Japan may run differently though, so who knows.

SEGA in regards to Sonic and bad IP sharing is this:

They get A LOT of money for being allowed to use Sonic in a game. And with the fans more or less butting heads about what makes a good sonic game 24/7 he's become a bit of an IP-Whore.

Small rom hacks etc is not going to garner a lot of money or care from SEGA. Reverse engineering their System for a game to make a fully running server however is a huge Red flag that will make them flip the hell out. You effectively establish the ability to own and distribute THEIR GAME without their consent, in full.

Macman
Jan 18, 2015, 07:49 PM
I highly doubt that one -- they'll probably just ask for information, but I could be wrong obviously. That being said, character transfers are a thing:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PSO2/comments/2mpj9j/if_the_western_release_were_to_arrive_soon_would/cm6jifu?context=3
"Uh yeah. I had 27 Ares weapons and 731 grind full protects. Oh and every title including rappy slot jackpot"

Ghalion
Jan 18, 2015, 10:02 PM
I remember Aida mentioning this in another thread several months ago, then deleted the post because it was apparently disallowed from posting on these forums or something. Did that change? Not trying to get anyone in trouble or anything, just curious because I may wanna yack about it myself at some point.

Fusionxglave
Jan 18, 2015, 11:59 PM
wow seriously because that would be great

NoiseHERO
Jan 19, 2015, 01:06 AM
I'd rather have an offline mod tho. with all the dress up stuff for 1 meseta

FacelessRed
Jan 19, 2015, 02:22 AM
I'd rather have an offline mod tho. with all the dress up stuff for 1 meseta

Honestly, I think that would be a far better idea. A char sim that can use your character data to edit your char how you see fit. Costumes, accessories, character features. Then save it out and upload/import to the main game.

(that way you can edit your characters features extensively without being in game to do it. Things like accessories, costumes etc that are not owned do not transfer over of course)

landman
Jan 19, 2015, 04:28 AM
A "local server" works as an "offline mod", that's how I play PSOBB unless I want to play with friends.

Totori
Jan 19, 2015, 04:49 AM
Just keep most of the progress on the down low, if the peeps behind this actually finish without having SEGA intervene.

Edson Drake
Jan 19, 2015, 07:55 AM
You can do this with Polaris.

OMG *schoolgirl giggles*

Just keep most of the progress on the down low, if the peeps behind this actually finish without having SEGA intervene.

This is impossible, all it would take is a single person to send a link with the project to Sega and it'd be gone, if they'd try to take legal action that is.

Seems AIDA and Cyberkitsune are very confident on this, so they have nothing but my utmost respect and support!