PDA

View Full Version : PSO2 File Extracting? Is it possible?

redBadger
Jan 18, 2015, 07:58 PM
Hey

I was looking to view models and sounds in PSO2 but I can't seem to figure out how to actually extract the files. I've gotten everything else set, however I can't find the program to extract the files.

Any help is appreciated!

Sizustar
Jan 18, 2015, 09:47 PM
It's currently possible to extract texture and model file, and repack texture file.

And a search on the forum and google..
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193469

redBadger
Jan 18, 2015, 10:40 PM
The program is extremely outdated. It crashes on most files And that link isnt even for the program it's for a plug in so you can view the files.

Sizustar
Jan 18, 2015, 10:45 PM
The program is extremely outdated. It crashes on most files And that link isnt even for the program it's for a plug in so you can view the files.

It has a link that can extract icev4 file that PSO2 Japan use, there is no way to extract PSO2sea file, as they use Icev5

redBadger
Jan 18, 2015, 11:21 PM
If I read correctly isn't IceV4 outdated when pso2 went public?

redBadger
Jan 18, 2015, 11:30 PM
May I ask why there is no better tool though?

redBadger
Jan 18, 2015, 11:44 PM
Can I ask why? Will it ever become available to the public?

Doesn't seem very fair in my opinion for us modders.

At the very least can't you post some of the more popular extracted model files and textures for people to convert and use?

redBadger
Jan 18, 2015, 11:53 PM
I appreciate the honest answers. It's just frustrating when people don't allow modding tools to the public. Seems quite selfish.

Well thanks for the help though, I'm sure Agrajag has his reasons. I've had so many problems getting the deicer program to work. Oh well, maybe another day.

Maronji
Jan 19, 2015, 12:01 AM
I appreciate the honest answers. It's just frustrating when people don't allow modding tools to the public. Seems quite selfish.
I want to say it's less about being selfish and more about not wanting people to do nefarious things with the tools.

But I've been wrong before.

redBadger
Jan 19, 2015, 12:08 AM
I want to say it's less about being selfish and more about not wanting people to do nefarious things with the tools.

But I've been wrong before.

I mean if its a simple extractor/converter, there can be no harm done to the game itself. Don't even provide a repacker

Sizustar
Jan 19, 2015, 12:48 AM
I mean if its a simple extractor/converter, there can be no harm done to the game itself. Don't even provide a repacker

Then use the public released De-Icer.

And another possible reason to not public release the De-Icer and Repacker.
No one that I know of can unpack Icev5<So that killed our plan to try and have the back binder and Sailor uniform from PSOSea>, as PSO2 Japan still Icev4<Can be unpacked and repacked>, Aida's team can do the Translation, and the other team can still do the texture mods,

Atmius
Jan 19, 2015, 02:45 AM
The only thing I'd have interest in a repacker for would be dicking around with costumes really.

Sizustar
Jan 19, 2015, 03:19 AM
The only thing I'd have interest in a repacker for would be dicking around with costumes really.

Then what you can do is to extract the texture file DDS, edit them, and send them to Aida and see if they'll repack it with their repacker.

But you should know that Texture file isn't exactly clear on what is what either.
For example, the Yamato spacesuit texture are like this.

[SPOILER-BOX]
http://i.imgur.com/jSwPyv9.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/uAVIrcz.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/2Lr5Yv5.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/e2cZPnb.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

Shadowth117
Jan 19, 2015, 12:20 PM
Then what you can do is to extract the texture file DDS, edit them, and send them to Aida and see if they'll repack it with their repacker.

I would like to just say outright that while its easy enough to do that sort of thing, getting anything back is another story. Rip my lightning tech mod's textures, forever in Aida's inbox... and here now: https://www.dropbox.com/s/r59bobs5bsdtc1o/_39784a34f3942432ae72364a23f0e40f.rar?dl=0

I'm just saying. I understand being busy and all, but its a little insulting to not even get a "no, I can't do that because x" after months. I mean people are entitled to do whatever I suppose, but its never hit off well with me to see myself being outright ignored when invited to talk to someone.

Ordy
Jan 19, 2015, 12:24 PM
Not answering to someone is insulting? ... ok, I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

These guys don't owe anything, makes me mad when I read things like "WTF this isn't translated yet?!" or "gibe repacker selfish bitch"

Shadowth117
Jan 19, 2015, 12:47 PM
Not answering to someone is insulting? ... ok, I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

These guys don't owe anything, makes me mad when I read things like "WTF this isn't translated yet?!" or "gibe repacker selfish bitch"

To clarify, we did not have the ability to repack textures when I said so a month ago. Since then, we took a look at the nude mod and how stuff worked, and now have that ability :-)

I had this written on my profile comments so you tell me. Never got any response to my PMs or response to them there. I got that comment after a thread had a discussion about it and you can click my name and go look if you want.

I appreciate the English patch and tweaker since it allows many of my friends to play and I'll never dispute that. But that's irrelevant here.

Chrysheight
Jan 19, 2015, 01:38 PM
Not really a shitty answer. It's just people expect way too much. If I had the ability to help, I would be more than glad to. I know you know that, Aida.

The thing is, and not trying to be mean guys (Not directing this at anyone but at this thread as a whole), instead of complaining that people aren't doing your work for you, step up, try to learn how things work, and make your own. That's obviously what Agrajag and Arks-Layer did, among other communities. Hell, I'd love to help make a PSO2HD Texture mod. I have tons of textures sitting on my pc. But I'm not asking nor do I want the tools someone else has made.

(Though, that's only for personal reasons. Have you tried using someone's tool that they made to suit them? It's terrible. Things are set up for their workflow, which can be vastly different from yours. You spend more time fighting with the tool than working.)

So yeah. Just if you want to help, try to do the work for yourself. No one will or even has to give you anything. If not, just blow it off and move on.

Shadowth117
Jan 19, 2015, 01:49 PM
http://aida.moe/puush/M60z.png

And I purged it about a month ago.

I most likely read it, meant to respond, then got sidetracked. Sorry.

Between my full time job, tweaker, various moderator duties on various sites, my team, webmoney business and other obligations, my time is extremely limited. However, I try to answer all messages/inquiries, but it's just not possible to hit 100% of the time.

That being said, I typically don't "lend out" use of the repacker and related tools. In this case, it's not using Agrajag's tools, but a tool we developed ourselves for other purposes. I did indeed get it to work with the nude patch, and understand the basic concept of how it's done, but doing it ourselves is another story. It'd require a lot of programming, and last time I tried it, it was really glitchy and required editing the model files as well. (Which I have no information on)

Plus, (and it really shouldn't be this way, but it is) once I let one person do it, then everyone will start doing it, and I'll never get anything done anymore. The only exception would be if someone wanted to do a PSO2HD Texture pack.

I know this is a shitty answer and I wish I could help you more. Sorry.

I figured that was possible, but it did honestly seem more than a bit odd at the time. More than satisfactory for an answer by the way for the record.

But yeah, probably from a lack of info, I assumed based on what others had said on the situation that it was more or less working and doable without trouble. I had no idea that changing the textures had much relation to the models themselves, but given their relation in some games I've messed with in the past I could understand that completely.

If I may suggest something though, is it possible that you might pass out what you have for that program project to other interested people you trust to manage and were to perhaps have an email or something on your site that people could send to? I would volunteer to work with it, but I see why that may not be desirable. I just feel like it could be an interesting community thing if it was somewhat doable.

Regardless, I very much appreciate hearing directly back from you though I wish it could have been under better circumstances.

TaigaUC
Jan 19, 2015, 07:36 PM
I wanted to say a few things, but it looks like AIDA has already explained enough.
I've been modding games for decades and I don't have any feelings of "it's not fair to modders".
"Fairness" is completely irrelevant.

I know most people find this difficult to believe, but random hobbyists do not have an underlying responsibility to release all of their work to everyone else.
I've had all sorts of threats thrown at me in an attempt to force me to release everything publically, or obey random modding demands.
Also had plenty of people around the world profit from selling my free mods. Where's the "fairness" in that?

People don't seem to be able to understand that if certain people didn't exist or weren't kind enough to share anything, we wouldn't have the things we do.
The least we can do is respect their wishes. They have their reasons. They don't owe anyone anything.

In regards to replying... I generally try to get back to people immediately so that they don't feel they're being ignored.
But I understand that some people get bombarded with mails, or have circumstances such as being too busy, not being able to read/type fast, etc.
Does it upset me? Somewhat, but if they don't reply even after a long period and a polite poke or two, I just make a note of it and avoid them until they do.

Sacrificial
Jan 19, 2015, 08:20 PM
I know most people find this difficult to believe, but random hobbyists do not have an underlying responsibility to release all of their work to everyone else.
I've had all sorts of threats thrown at me in an attempt to force me to release everything publically, or obey random modding demands.
Also had plenty of people around the world profit from selling my free mods. Where's the "fairness" in that?

This reminds me of Steam workshop and it makes me cry every time is see it in comments.

Personally I would love to have the Cast part models so I could make some skins (offline) that is not limited to four colours. And be able to see the results. Sadly I have no knowledge how to even start with that and trying to imitate/redraw the models in programs I have, only goes so far.

Chik'Tikka
Jan 20, 2015, 12:42 AM

The only exception would be if someone wanted to do a PSO2HD Texture pack......

OOOOOOoooOOooOOOOOoooooOOOOoOOoOOOooOOOooOoOOOOOOo OOOOoOOooooOoo

*nearly faints from hopes of a PSO2 textured for 2012 instead of 2006*

I mentioned this a few times over the years to various people and friends, you really should try to gather some artists and people good with texture mods over the next year and see what you can do+^_^+ There's so much wrong with PSO2's Textures... Particularly for the environments and some of the special weps. I wouldn't bother touching outfits or hair/accessories not used by the core NPCs as SEGAC adds like 20 more of each every month+^_^+

And, like you said, you can unpack more then textures... some of those meshes are... so 2006...

Stealthcmc1974
Jan 20, 2015, 12:48 AM
OOOOOOoooOOooOOOOOoooooOOOOoOOoOOOooOOOooOoOOOOOOo OOOOoOOooooOoo

*nearly faints from hopes of a PSO2 textured for 2012 instead of 2006*

I mentioned this a few times over the years to various people and friends, you really should try to gather some artists and people good with texture mods over the next year and see what you can do+^_^+ There's so much wrong with PSO2's Textures... Particularly for the environments and some of the special weps. I wouldn't bother touching outfits or hair/accessories not used by the core NPCs as SEGAC adds like 20 more of each every month+^_^+

And, like you said, you can unpack more then textures... some of those meshes are... so 2006...

Not that I wouldn't welcome this, but that's an awful lot of textures at this point, even not factoring in the metric ton of scratch content.

Sizustar
Jan 20, 2015, 12:57 AM
This reminds me of Steam workshop and it makes me cry every time is see it in comments.

Personally I would love to have the Cast part models so I could make some skins (offline) that is not limited to four colours. And be able to see the results. Sadly I have no knowledge how to even start with that and trying to imitate/redraw the models in programs I have, only goes so far.

Cast texture is a mess, even bigger then some of the outfits.

Sacrificial
Jan 20, 2015, 09:08 AM
Cast texture is a mess, even bigger then some of the outfits.

I was afraid for that, but I kinda expected it seeing how derpy it already is with only 4 colours in game.

Chimeria
Jan 20, 2015, 09:34 AM
Don't mean to hi-jack the thread but since we're on the topic of file extraction is there anyway to extract the music files to edit the BGM music like we could do in PSO?

Chrysheight
Jan 20, 2015, 10:13 AM
It has already been done, at least the extracting. Pso2 uses adaptive sound processing though. So it changes up what part it plays depending on if you are in combat, slow moving, etc.

Speaking of. I am interested in doing area texture work. Start off slow with forest. Meshes are not something I wish to mess with though.

redBadger
Jan 20, 2015, 10:17 AM
Typically, I'd agree with you - However, you would be absolutely disgusted to see some of the things SEGA includes in the client-side files, and many of them could be used to easily cheat the game, with no method of detection/stopping. That's the main reason (I'd imagine) he hasn't released it to the public.

Another reason is control - If he released that tool, people would start releasing "alternative" patches with "alternative" spellings - Loser -> Luther, for example. Then you would require them to update the patches, people would be confused on which one to install (BELIEVE ME, PEOPLE CANNOT READ), and various other issues that would just cause headaches for everyone.

What I don't understand though is what is the harm of releasing only an extractor and not a repacker? You can't do anything with modified files until you repack them.

Chrysheight
Jan 20, 2015, 10:19 AM
Simple. Because it's not your call. You want one, make it yourself. Otherwise, get over it. That has been explained many times.

Atmius
Jan 20, 2015, 10:37 AM
An extractor has been released already though.

Shadowth117
Jan 20, 2015, 10:50 AM
An extractor has been released already though.

With more recent files, its had issues getting them. Otherwise, yeah I get what you're saying.

Edit: Not to imply that its owed to anyone mind you.

Chimeria
Jan 20, 2015, 11:51 AM
It has already been done, at least the extracting. Pso2 uses adaptive sound processing though. So it changes up what part it plays depending on if you are in combat, slow moving, etc.

Speaking of. I am interested in doing area texture work. Start off slow with forest. Meshes are not something I wish to mess with though.
Hmm...I see. One more question. If I do happen to extract and repack and an update happens will I have to edit everything again?

Chrysheight
Jan 20, 2015, 11:58 AM
I'd say it depends on if they change how things are processed. If not, no. If so, then yes. But I've not delved into the files. You'd have to wait for Aida, Agrajag, or someone who does know to say.

Sizustar
Jan 20, 2015, 12:09 PM
Hmm...I see. One more question. If I do happen to extract and repack and an update happens will I have to edit everything again?

Depends on which update it is.
For the R18 mod, the "big" file need to be "fixed" every major scratch update, because each update adds new stuff into it.
But for most outfit scratch, it should be in it's own file, unless Sega does something to it, there shouldn't be a need to change it.

Chrysheight
Jan 20, 2015, 12:33 PM
I think Chimeria was asking for audio files. Since that was the original thing they brought up.

Maronji
Jan 20, 2015, 06:55 PM
What I don't understand though is what is the harm of releasing only an extractor and not a repacker?
Have a box with a block-'o'-text inside.
[SPOILER-BOX]A) Because one already exists, even if it's not perfect.

B) This is pure speculation, but if I had to guess, the toolkit Agrajag made/uses has all of the functions bundled together (because, you know, convenience), and it would take work to split off the extraction function into a separate program. In which case, you know, why bother? What could possibly be accomplished by releasing a separate extractor anyway?

Even if one were released, what in the world would you possibly do with it that isn't already possible or being done by someone else? You said something about wanting to look at the models and/or the sound/music, but you don't even necessarily need the extractor to get at the area BGMs (maybe not even the jukebox/other music). If you wanted to look at the models, you could just ask how to do it and which files to extract from with the public Deicer.[/SPOILER-BOX]
But anyway, tl;dr, what it all comes down to is:

Simple. Because it's not your call. You want one, make it yourself. Otherwise, get over it. That has been explained many times.

Mattykins
Jan 20, 2015, 08:34 PM
I wish there was like an HD texture mod or something :V I dunno how Sega gets off using console-quality textures in a game like this.

Also, higher-poly models so I can actually wank to my loli's feet or something.