PDA

View Full Version : JP PSO2 Question for 1337 modders.

HopelessHero
Jan 19, 2015, 02:06 AM
So after the issues over the last week or so regarding Cirnopedia going down because of the host being a butt ass, I did some thinking and realized it's kind of a pain to have to go on the internet, find the moonrunes for whatever item you want to buy from the player shops and then input it. Not TOO much of a pain, mind you, but it was just a passing thought.

So I came to the question of... What exactly would it entail to modify the game to make it possible to just use English search terms to locate items? I mean, we already have English-translated items. Is making it possible to search in English a feasible undertaking or not, and what does it entail to do so?

milranduil
Jan 19, 2015, 02:14 AM
You could just learn some katakana, not that hard.

HopelessHero
Jan 19, 2015, 02:16 AM

I'm not here to complain that it's too much work to copy moonrunes, but that's not the question I asked anyway. I'm just asking what it would take; not demanding someone make this a thing.

Though I wouldn't complain if someone did. :-P

FacelessRed
Jan 19, 2015, 02:19 AM
I'm not here to complain that it's too much work to copy moonrunes, but that's not the question I asked anyway. I'm just asking what it would take; not demanding someone make this a thing.

Though I wouldn't complain if someone did. :-P

I THINK it was meant to already be a feature utilizing the tweaker, but I've never experienced it working. Someone clarify?

Also: Did you really come to PSOW and expect someone to address your point before making a statement that makes it seem like you're some sort of inferior being? People here are weird yo.

HopelessHero
Jan 19, 2015, 02:21 AM
I THINK it was meant to already be a feature utilizing the tweaker, but I've never experienced it working. Someone clarify?

Also: Did you really come to PSOW and expect someone to address your point before making a statement that makes it seem like you're some sort of inferior being? People here are weird yo.

I appreciate the... pseudo-concern... but you don't need to tell me about the community here. I've already prepared my crying corner with tissues and stuffed animals for when one of them huwts my wittle feewings.

FacelessRed
Jan 19, 2015, 02:38 AM
Well, I hope someone can clarify. Also If my input is anything to go off of. I don't think it's specifically difficult, but the actual game itself seems to have a pretty poor search function. I.E. My Shop.

Syklo
Jan 19, 2015, 03:20 AM
If you use the tweaker's item-translation injecting patch, then it is already possible to search items with their english names....

Doesn't work with non-translated names, obviously, and you must have the item name loaded into the item cache AND translated in order to search it up in the first place (meaning once you start up the game, for that instance, you have to encounter the item you're looking for on the market elsewhere, e.g. on someone or through a prize list).

Essentially you type part of the english translated name, then use the P. Search button to search up the item you want, select it, and delete the english name that's tagged along with it, giving you the JP name.

Ability names are separate; they're part of the english patch itself.

HopelessHero
Jan 19, 2015, 06:25 AM
you have to encounter the item you're looking for on the market elsewhere, e.g. on someone or through a prize list

Well that... kind of defeats the purpose then, since seeing it in either of those places would just let me Ctrl+C the moonrunes and look it up with even less effort than it would take to type it by hand.

I... am disappoint. But thank you for the detailed answer. :D

Syklo
Jan 19, 2015, 07:00 AM
Well that... kind of defeats the purpose then, since seeing it in either of those places would just let me Ctrl+C the moonrunes and look it up with even less effort than it would take to type it by hand.

I... am disappoint. But thank you for the detailed answer. :D
It's not always possible to copy-paste an entry though....:P

And you don't have to actively look through them either; just have the game load them. It's like how your Symbol Art history tab loads will all these SAs that you haven't actually seen.

Heck, just walk by someone with the weapon you're after and you're set

Point is, it can be loaded into the cache without you realising. So just try searching for its english name via P. Search and if it isn't there, try again later

NoiseHERO
Jan 19, 2015, 07:03 AM
I appreciate the... pseudo-concern... but you don't need to tell me about the community here. I've already prepared my crying corner with tissues and stuffed animals for when one of them huwts my wittle feewings.

>calls himself sarcastic

Nah you'll fit right in here bruh

HopelessHero
Jan 19, 2015, 09:24 AM
>calls himself sarcastic

Nah you'll fit right in here bruh

*gasps*
Acceptance? Heresy!

isCasted
Jan 19, 2015, 09:52 AM
I don't see why it should be impossible to fill up item cache on fly, or just make translation files to be used by search function instead of using them only to modify cache. Item translation patch already shows that game's memory space can be accessed for writing, and external files can be used as a source of data.

There's that CO that gives like 37k EXP? Alright, what's that item's name... 水晶の欠片? Well...

Can I have a launcher that boosts Cluster Bullet damage, at least? One that's called 新光燈砲... Nope...

Yeah, learning Katakana is not a solution, some items are too heavy with kanji. Sometimes even with Katakana symbols in the name amount of kanji can scare away and give full impression of unreadable mess just by its looks (モタブの預言書, 機甲剣メックカタール).

And, yeah, avoiding stuff like that is the whole point of translations.

NoiseHERO
Jan 19, 2015, 10:05 AM
*gasps*
Acceptance? Heresy!

Yeah man, you did it!

Ordy
Jan 19, 2015, 11:59 AM
Didn't work on the item translation patch, but here is what I figured out:

Item names and descriptions are stored server side in Japanese. As we play, the client will collect the name and store them in a temporary cache, which is loaded in memory when the game starts.

The item translation patch is working with an alternative item names/descriptions table (JP_name | EN_name), the injected translation.dll is going to read the JP_name in memory and change it to the EN_name from the translation.bin. So even tho the information are server side, the translation is performed client-side on local data.

Now why can't we directly search English names item? Because the item search function is requesting information from the server-side MyShop database, using the character string in the "Item Name" field. It's going to look like this:

SELECT player_id, item_price FROM MYSHOP_TB
WHERE item_name='Sexy Bikini Wear';

The items in the server-side tables are all in Japanese, so you'll get zero result for 'Sexy Bikini Wear'

So, what we have to do, is simply translate Sexy Bikini Wear to セクシービキニウェア on the fly using the EN translation table, right? Well, for that to happen, the translation.dll would most likely have to hook the search call to send the translated name. At this point, I don't think that the item translation tool is intercepting any game calls. Not sure how GG is going to react to that kind of dll hooking |ω・`)

Of course, these are only speculations based on my C/C++ and DB expertise, iirc Raven used to work on that one so he'd have to confirm (or AIDA).

Until then, learn hiragana/katakana, takes 2 or 3 days to memorize them, then you can pick up chicks with your mad Japanese skills.

HopelessHero
Jan 19, 2015, 01:39 PM
Until then, learn hiragana/katakana, takes 2 or 3 days to memorize them, then you can pick up chicks with your mad Japanese skills.

Your skills of persuasion are quite formidable.
But little did you know, I was a master of the language all along.

照り焼きスズキホンダシビック。

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES~

Syklo
Jan 19, 2015, 05:09 PM
Your skills of persuasion are quite formidable.
But little did you know, I was a master of the language all along.

照り焼きスズキホンダシビック。

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES~
Not even a ferrari?

HopelessHero
Jan 19, 2015, 08:38 PM
Not even a ferrari?

Curses, foiled again! Nyeeeeeeh!
[strokes mustache evilly and flees to diabolical escape zeppelin]