PDA

View Full Version : PSO2 SEGA reveals company downsizing and relocation

AIDA
Jan 30, 2015, 08:20 AM
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/01/30/sega-reveals-company-downsizing-and-relocation

In a company downsizing, SEGA of America (SoA) plans to relocate from its San Francisco base to Southern California.

SoA president and COO John Cheng explains the move as “crucial” to keep SEGA moving forward throughout North America, and will allow the company to continue offering content across gaming, TV and merchandising.

Relocation packages are on offer for a number of employees considering the move. That said, the amount of positions will be reduced as the company aims to “streamline operations.” SoA doesn’t know how many employees will be affected by the move, but the final amount will be released come early summer.

In Japan, around 300 SEGA employees are being offered voluntary retirement as part of the company’s restructuring effort.

Following the restructuring, SEGA’s new plan will see the company focus on digital and PC.

Voluntary retirement will be solicited in the aforementioned businesses to be withdrawn or consolidated and downsized,” reads the press release, “while at the same time personnel will be repositioned in Digital Games and growth areas of Group mainly as development personnel, in order to establish a structure which can constantly generate profits. The purpose of these measures is to improve the business efficiency of the Group.”

According to SEGA’s projected results for the year ending March, 2015, the company still expects to turn a profit, albeit a much smaller profit compared to the same time last year.

And the ship sinks further into the ocean...

MadDemon64
Jan 30, 2015, 09:40 AM
And they have yet to realize they could probalby recoup their loses if they just released PSO2.

Heck they probably could have avoided this had they just released it as promised when they promised.

Xaeris
Jan 30, 2015, 09:50 AM
Once upon a time, you could go toe to toe with Nintendo, and now look at you, Sega. It hurts too much to watch.

Squall179
Jan 30, 2015, 10:04 AM
Once upon a time, you could go toe to toe with Nintendo, and now look at you, Sega. It hurts too much to watch.

Agreed....

This is painful right here. It feels like taking care of an ailing family member who you know will NEVER get any better, and is getting worse every day, and I know that feeling all too well already, this is just... reminding me of what I deal with day in and day out already....god...

Noblewine
Jan 30, 2015, 10:07 AM
Welp this is a bad sign.... :/

Sizustar
Jan 30, 2015, 10:14 AM
And they have yet to realize they could probalby recoup their loses if they just released PSO2.

Heck they probably could have avoided this had they just released it as promised when they promised.

Not really, SOA already seems low on money, it's not very likely that they could hire the staff and machine requried to run PSO2 on a international scale, most likely, they are looking for a distributer, like what happened with the SEA and Taiwan version.

Terrence
Jan 30, 2015, 10:36 AM
Another useless/sensationalist topic, the best part being the pathetic answers. If releasing Pso2 outside of JP Regions was the solution to SEGA's issues, they wouldn't have waited for the pso-world.com moron's approval to do it.
Releasing Pso2 here would cost a lot and many of us, playing on JP Servers, would NEVER start/pay again (which is understandable) for an outdated and worse version. The profitable players ALREADY are ingame... On JP Servers.
In any case, this is just another pitiful attempt to say "SEGA's crap now" once more. Are we on a Pso2 Forum dedicated to help people or on a site wanting to crucify a company which make a great game we're playing everyday ?

SilenWhisper
Jan 30, 2015, 11:08 AM
I know that unless PSO2's releashed west side,what happens to SoA's none of our concern.

Getintothegame
Jan 30, 2015, 11:08 AM
I'd say this is a huge step toward PSO2 being released in the Americas. If they're forgoing console releases for the most part, or entirely, and focus on PC and digital gaming, it sounds like they may finally see the need to release PSO2.

wefwq
Jan 30, 2015, 12:13 PM
focus on digital and PC

Yes!We indeed need more PC games, even it's a console game ports as long it's nicely ported.

Alukard
Jan 30, 2015, 12:36 PM
Sega should just go down and sell their first party IP's already.

Selphea
Jan 30, 2015, 12:48 PM
Japan as a whole seems to have lost its way after the consoles and portables at the turn of the millennium gave way to the Androids and Steams of today. It's not just Sega that's bleeding, even Sony and Nintendo are too.

IMO Digital and PC are the right direction to take, so this had to be done. PSO2 shouldn't be affected since it's on the good side of the balance sheet.

Also, good move getting out of San Fran. I'd imagine rentals would be insane (http://techcrunch.com/2014/04/14/sf-housing/).

And PSO2 on Steam would be very nice.

MadDemon64
Jan 30, 2015, 12:59 PM
Not really, SOA already seems low on money, it's not very likely that they could hire the staff and machine requried to run PSO2 on a international scale, most likely, they are looking for a distributer, like what happened with the SEA and Taiwan version.

And they have quite a selection, though personally my money is on either Trion or PWE.

landman
Jan 30, 2015, 01:02 PM
Today's report does not only mention SOA downsizing (which was already announced more than half a year ago), the Japan offices are also asking people to voluntarily retire (they want to reduce about 120 people, I doubt SOA is formed by a third of that amount), and arcade productions are being reduced as well (bye bye Virtua Fighter 6?)

http://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/

On the bright side of those doomsday news, Dengeky Bunko Fighting Climax will be released west... hooraaay?...

Akaimizu
Jan 30, 2015, 01:12 PM
I was actually surprised they still had enough employees in SOA to actually downsize. I thought they had like 1-5 left before this one.

Gardios
Jan 30, 2015, 01:30 PM
And they have quite a selection, though personally my money is on either Trion or PWE.

I'm sure SEGA could make enough money just by offering alpha access for 150 bucks. :wacko:

untrustful
Jan 30, 2015, 02:13 PM
The sega of today isn't the same as the sega of yesteryears. This was bound to happen.

http://i.imgur.com/iX8a62v.jpg

HIT0SHI
Jan 30, 2015, 04:10 PM
focus on digital and PC

Yes!We indeed need more PC games, even it's a console game ports as long it's nicely ported.

*crosses fingers for VANQUISH PC port*

I already embraced the digital versions of games. I would love to see ports for PC.

Dark Emerald EXE
Jan 30, 2015, 04:22 PM
My chilldhood!!!!!! (I had nintendo too but had genesis 1st)

Chimeria
Jan 30, 2015, 05:05 PM

I think they're smart for not doing an NA release. PSO2 is a game built off nostalgia that doesn't really have the same impact as it's predecessor. And with it being F2P with a cash shop, gatcha items and a lack of inovative updates...It probably wouldn't last long. Plus I can already hear a lot of people complaining about it not really being F2P because you sort of need premium to get the full effect of the game.

Plus, even though the US player-base isn't that big, most of us who wanted to play it have already made a home in the JP version due to AIDA and her team. And it's very accessible. Sega may be dumb when it comes to certain things but I'm sure they know that a translation exists and many of us are using it. And with the company in the position that it's in, why hire a translation team, voice actors, etc. when half of it's already been done for free?

In my opinion, Sega would stay afloat if they pumped out good Sonic titles the way Nintendo does Mario games. You all realize that there has NEVER been a terrible Mario game? Even Mario and Sonic Olympics or whatever it was called got passable scores...And "Mario is Missing" doesn't count. We don't speak of that game.
Seriously though, Sonic Boom probably was the iceburg to Sega's Titanic. I don't know what the problem is but Sega just can't seem to get the blue blur right.

Cyron Tanryoku
Jan 30, 2015, 05:45 PM
thanks sonic boom

starwind75043
Jan 30, 2015, 06:21 PM
But didnt Asiasoft Pso2 just cut down its number of blocks on its ships? You don't really hear how well the other expansions are doing also.

I honestly think we would see a English login in page on the Japan site and a English language selection in game before you see a English version ever launched.

LonelyGaruga
Jan 30, 2015, 06:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3IyEl7ekko

In any case, this is just another pitiful attempt to say "SEGA's crap now" once more. Are we on a Pso2 Forum dedicated to help people or on a site wanting to crucify a company which make a great game we're playing everyday ?

You do comprehend that if Sega falls under, so does PSO2, right? The point isn't that Sega's a bad company. The point is that Sega is steadily diminishing and might go bankrupt and that would be bad for its consumers. Duh. Too concentrated on badmouthing people to think your posts through?

Noblewine
Jan 30, 2015, 08:14 PM
Actually their were some bad Mario games like "Mario is Missing" or a few other educational games with Mario name on it.

HIT0SHI
Jan 30, 2015, 08:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lupMvw9tnZE

^ Very informative video about the whole fiasco.

Sacrificial
Jan 30, 2015, 08:21 PM
offered voluntary retirement

Is it wrong if I read this as:
[SPOILER-BOX]http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/55030469.jpghttp://www.quickmeme.com/img/58/584bf751f0d50591988794ad3006889d97f484137830bb6dd9 343cf1aeb4bbcd.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

LonelyGaruga
Jan 30, 2015, 08:26 PM
Actually their were some bad Mario games like "Mario is Missing" or a few other educational games with Mario name on it.

Mario is Missing and Hotel Mario weren't made by Nintendo. Chances are good any educational ones have the same problem. So these don't qualify. I heard they weren't that bad either.

There's been like three times as many Mario games as there have been Sonic games anyway, so for Mario games to be consistently higher quality than Sonic games just furthers the point. Mario has no equivalent to Sonic 06 or Sonic Boom either.

Noblewine
Jan 30, 2015, 08:28 PM
Mario is Missing and Hotel Mario weren't made by Nintendo. Chances are good any educational ones have the same problem. So these don't qualify.

There's been like three times as many Mario games as there have been Sonic games anyway, so for Mario games to be consistently higher quality than Sonic games just furthers the point. Mario has no equivalent to Sonic 06 or Sonic Boom either.

Yeah I know that.... but I said "Bad" Mario games existed. It counts regardless of who made them. lol
Also didn't the failure of those games lead to the playstation 1?

Anduril
Jan 30, 2015, 08:28 PM
But those were the case of third party licensing (much like the Zelda CD-i games); Nintendo themselves seem to washed their hands of them as well. Interestingly, SEGA developed the Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games series and were the publishers outside of Japan.

EDIT: This is what happens when you take 10 minutes to research: you miss tons of posts.

Selphea
Jan 30, 2015, 08:34 PM
^ Very informative video about the whole fiasco.

Is there a transcript or summary for that? 30mins is a bit much.

Noblewine
Jan 30, 2015, 08:35 PM
But those were the case of third party licensing (much like the Zelda CD-i games); Nintendo themselves seem to washed their hands of them as well. Interestingly, SEGA developed the Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games series and were the publishers outside of Japan.

EDIT: This is what happens when you take 10 minutes to research: you miss tons of posts.

Ok I'll be fair after what I said earlier since the company that made those games had some experience making video games just like the people who made those Bible games during the NES/SNES (also a bible game exist on the Gameboy too).

Vatallus
Jan 30, 2015, 08:42 PM
Sega is hurting.
Nintendo is hurting.
Capcom is hurting.

What have we learned today? Nothing can last forever, because eventually someone gets into a job position they shouldn't be in and screws it all up.

Or to be more technical:

People change - Their interest change - Milking the same icons over and over is bound to lead to failure because you run out of creativity and start making clones - Making games for single consoles is asking for trouble

I could keep going but /shrug - High up businessmen tend to listen to no one in this day and age.

Noblewine
Jan 30, 2015, 08:54 PM
Sega is hurting.
Nintendo is hurting.
Capcom is hurting.

What have we learned today? Nothing can last forever, because eventually someone gets into a job position they shouldn't be in and screws it all up.

Or to be more technical:

People change - Their interest change - Milking the same icons over and over is bound to lead to failure because you run out of creativity and start making clones - Making games for single consoles is asking for trouble

I could keep going but /shrug - High up businessmen tend to listen to no one in this day and age.

^ Agreed. I couldn't have said it any better. Gotta love how taking shortcuts like reusing old ideas/concepts while introducing a few/more new ones intermesh and the reason why games are too "casual friendly."

Lemme gimme you an example why I am avoiding the newer Mario games...Collecting eight red coin(s) is an old gimmick and I'm tired of seeing it return just to have no purpose but "just" to be there. Collect the eight red coins and get--A Power-up! Yay! Give yourself a pat on the back. It had a reason in Mario 64 and Yoshi island and I'm sad to see it return and have no purpose.
I liked this gimmick during Yoshi Island and Mario 64 as well as Super Mario Sunshine but to see it return again in later Mario titles shows they are taking shortcuts. This is the reason why I avoided the gba remakes of Mario 1 and 3. Sadly I played Mario 2 Advance and hated it so much I put a hammer to it and threw the circuit board in the trash. Those games were nothing but desperate cash-grabs. Plus the E-reader card scanner made Mario 3 Advance too easy. Though it did have a neat feature of playing games similar to Mr Game and Watch.

I forgot to add the environmental message in Super Mario Sunshine didn't bother me too much. I actually liked that game even though some levels were designed oddly and required you to figure out where to go like that World with the hotel.

Chimeria
Jan 30, 2015, 08:56 PM
Sega is hurting.
Nintendo is hurting.
Capcom is hurting.

Out of the three you named, I think Nintendo is doing the best though. They're still ruling the handheld game and although they're quite behind in the home console market, they've been delivering some A+ titles for the WiiU from what I hear. As long as Shigeru and co. don't lose direction and keep cranking out those 1st party games, they'll be fine...

Crapcom on the other hand is a different story...I don't know who's bright idea it was to piss off the creator of the Megaman franchise or release half assed fighting games, charge for DLC then release an ultimate version of the game months later but they seriously need to get their lives together.

Square Enix is another one. How the mighty have fallen...

Edson Drake
Jan 30, 2015, 09:26 PM
A bunch of the passionate ol' guys left those companies long time ago.

Square lost Sakaguchi(who would ever thought?) and their main composer Uematsu, which many people consider(myself included) as Square's spirit and soul.

Something similar happened to Sega, Capcom, Konami and many others.

Massaki
Jan 30, 2015, 09:42 PM
Square Enix is another one. How the mighty have fallen...

I beg to differ. Square's been out of the red for a while now. It's not like they don't try, unlike others.

Chimeria
Jan 30, 2015, 09:56 PM
I beg to differ. Square's been out of the red for a while now. It's not like they don't try, unlike others.
Maybe I'm just stuck in the "golden age" of Squaresoft when they actually did put out great games. I can think of numerous IPs that have been abandoned by SE in place of multiple Final Fantasy games, spin-offs and remakes. I understand that there are some people that do like the new stuff but compared to what they used to shell out, it's no where near as good in my opinion.

What seems to be keeping them out of the red is FFXIV and FFXI (which is still going strong I hear) But as someone stated before, it's because of the "ol' guys" leaving and being replaced with new people that are somewhat out of touch with the fans. I didn't like FFXIV much but it did seem like there was some effort in it. And that's my issue with SE, there is no passion in the game anymore. Everything is a cash-grab...Look at "All the Bravest." Or having the ending to FFXIII-2 be sold in a DLC.

But maybe that's just the direction games are going in nowadays.

Cyron Tanryoku
Jan 30, 2015, 10:13 PM
THANKS SONIC BOOM

Sizustar
Jan 30, 2015, 10:20 PM
But didnt Asiasoft Pso2 just cut down its number of blocks on its ships? You don't really hear how well the other expansions are doing also.

I honestly think we would see a English login in page on the Japan site and a English language selection in game before you see a English version ever launched.

That's Asiasoft's problem, not Sega, Sega only provide the game file and get paid for that, any other cost and profit is on Asiasoft.
Same with Gamania in Taiwan, those are all profit to Sega.

PSO2 is Sega of Japan's one of it's most popular and money making IP, and on Mobage, it's Chain Chronicle.

Gardios
Jan 30, 2015, 10:29 PM
A bunch of the passionate ol' guys left those companies long time ago.

Square lost Sakaguchi(who would ever thought?) and their main composer Uematsu, which many people consider(myself included) as Square's spirit and soul.

Something similar happened to Sega, Capcom, Konami and many others.

At least those guys left on their own. In Konami's case, they disbanded their RPG team and then went "oops, I guess we kind of needed them."

I still can't believe that actually happened.

Stealthcmc1974
Jan 30, 2015, 10:31 PM
At least those guys left on their own. In Konami's case, they disbanded their RPG team and then went "oops, I guess we kind of needed them."

I still can't believe that actually happened.

As long as Kojima Productions is okay in Konami, I could care less about the rest lol.

HIT0SHI
Jan 31, 2015, 12:09 AM
Is there a transcript or summary for that? 30mins is a bit much.

Source was in the description of the video. ;-)

http://www.tssznews.com/

[SPOILER-BOX]
1.) SEGA To Focus On PC & Mobile Gaming (http://www.tssznews.com/2015/01/30/sega-to-focus-on-pc-mobile-gaming/)

2.) Former SEGA of America Employees Voice Mistreatment, Greed, Racism (http://www.tssznews.com/2015/01/30/former-sega-of-america-employees-voice-mistreatment-greed-racism/)

3.) SEGA of America Move First Time In Nearly 20 Years (http://www.tssznews.com/2015/01/30/sega-of-america-move-first-time-in-nearly-20-years/)

[/SPOILER-BOX]

Ghalion
Jan 31, 2015, 12:45 AM
Frankly I think this CAN mean a lot, it doesn't necessarily mean anything.
Personally, I feel that bigger is NOT necessarily better when it comes to game development teams. It's partially why I think some of the best indie titles out there have 1 man crews.

That said it's very possible that this is too little too late, or indeed a sign of something worse, or anything... You just can't tell based on this information alone. I'm not anticipating the worst, but I basically had no hope left at all to begin with...So...uhh..maybe something good will come of it, it's possible...but I'm not holding my breath for sure.

Demon-
Jan 31, 2015, 12:59 AM
Really no surprise here. Actually the surprise is that they had enough employees to fire in the first place.

Sega of America is still run by greedy people who care nothing for innovation or quality only deadlines and money. Sega of Japan will do nothing as always. As if they could any be help in the first place.

Once a household name and now the laugh of the industry. Oh how the mighty have fallen. This is only the beginning of the end for this company.

blace
Jan 31, 2015, 01:15 AM
I cannot say I'm surprised in the slightest, although I am wary of how they're able to downsize any further especially since the previous downsize several years ago.

Would certainly explain why their community managers all up and disappear aside from being used in the position of being a PR rep.

AlphaBlob
Jan 31, 2015, 06:34 AM
After the horrible mess that was Sonic Boom, it's no surprise.

Utterly Vile
Jan 31, 2015, 09:24 AM
As long as Kojima Productions is okay in Konami, I could care less about the rest lol.

Agreed!!...

the_importer_
Jan 31, 2015, 12:27 PM

Yup, I'm looking at my SMS, Genesis Trio, White Saturn and Dreamcast right now :(

Noblewine
Jan 31, 2015, 02:13 PM
I read the article and already knew about the racism. It affected both PSO/PSU back then and sad to see its still happening. :/

Finn Reid
Jan 31, 2015, 02:36 PM
It's safe to say we'll be on JP PSO2 for quite some time. The only thing that would make me change is if an english version happens to come out on PS4 on the PSN marketplace like how Vita is and has cross-play with both PC and Vita since they want to focus on digital. It's a stretch but I can dream.

Xaelouse
Jan 31, 2015, 02:37 PM

Go fuck yourself

schnee4
Jan 31, 2015, 03:44 PM
ladies and gentleman
ANNOUNCE PHANTASY STAR 2 AMERICA
2 years of later...
XH english player still +4 grind gear, subclass level 22

landman
Jan 31, 2015, 04:11 PM
From what I'm reading on twitter, Clumsyochid / Julian aka our very first PSO game-master and community manager will be leaving his job in the next couple of months. Most public faces seem to be leaving Sega too. Seems like the new location in southern cali will be made mostly of new staff...

Noblewine
Jan 31, 2015, 06:47 PM
From what I'm reading on twitter, Clumsyochid / Julian aka our very first PSO game-master and community manager will be leaving his job in the next couple of months. Most public faces seem to be leaving Sega too. Seems like the new location in southern cali will be made mostly of new staff...

That sucks.... Who will be the next casualty? =/
This wouldn't be happening if sega didn't treat their employee like crap.

Stealthcmc1974
Feb 1, 2015, 08:30 AM
Go fuck yourself

I'm afraid I can't. Human bodies aren't built that way my friend. Unless you are a world class scientist who's found a way to mutate the human genome to make a body capable of this function, or you are able to create a perfect clone of an individual with no genetic diseases or other such impediments, I'm afraid I'll never be able to comply with your request. I'm deeply sorry about that. Perhaps you can make a new wish and set out to accomplish it. Best of luck to you friend.

Edson Drake
Feb 1, 2015, 09:51 AM
I'm afraid I can't. Human bodies aren't built that way my friend. Unless you are a world class scientist who's found a way to mutate the human genome to make a body capable of this function, or you are able to create a perfect clone of an individual with no genetic diseases or other such impediments, I'm afraid I'll never be able to comply with your request. I'm deeply sorry about that. Perhaps you can make a new wish and set out to accomplish it. Best of luck to you friend.

I can't speak for him, but Konami isn't only about MGS, to me it's about Castlevania, Gradius(and Parodius), TMNT, Contra and personally, MGS series isn't even Kojima's best work, that'd be Snatcher and Policenauts, as much as I enjoy MGS as any other guy, it's how I feel about Konami and why it's sad to see that these days, Konami=Kojima/MGS.

MadDemon64
Feb 1, 2015, 09:54 AM
I can't speak for him, but Konami isn't only about MGS, to me it's about Castlevania, Gradius(and Parodius), TMNT, Contra and personally, MGS series isn't even Kojima's best work, that'd be Snatcher and Policenauts, as much as I enjoy MGS as any other guy, it's how I feel about Konami and why it's sad to see that these days, Konami=Kojima/MGS.

MGS is not his best work?

It's one of my favorite stealth games, blowing Assassin's Creed 2 (the one I find to be the best in the series because I haven't played Black Flag yet) out of the water. Heck even Dishonored doesn't match up.

Stealthcmc1974
Feb 1, 2015, 09:55 AM

I realize that, so I understand his position and his response. I didn't care much about what Konami had other than MGS and Snatcher (not a fan of Castlevania and I haven't touched Contra or Policenauts). To each their own, its an opinion.

I simply did not tolerate the way he responded, so I responded in kind.

MadDemon64
Feb 1, 2015, 10:17 AM

I'm half expecting them to make a post giving us the lowdown on what was taking PSO2 so long.

I'm honestly kinda hoping that they actually spent the time doing stuff like creating new videos for the screens in the lobby they use to advertise other SEGA games and upcoming patches.

Edson Drake
Feb 1, 2015, 10:18 AM
MGS is not his best work?

It's one of my favorite stealth games, blowing Assassin's Creed 2 (the one I find to be the best in the series because I haven't played Black Flag yet) out of the water. Heck even Dishonored doesn't match up.

Not to me, that's why I said "personally" and there's many people that enjoy Policenauts/Snatcher that either hate or just don't care about MGS at all. There is some MGS hate around going on, because Kojima simply abandoned his Snatcher/Policenauts ideas in favour of a MGS after another.

Still I think it's better than Assassin's Creed as well and I'm not familiar with the other one.

I simply did not tolerate the way he responded, so I responded in kind.

I'm aware. I guess it's was a crude way to display an opinion similar to mine, which may explain why it wasn't moderated.

(and yeah, I'll stop being off-topic now gomen~ne)

Macman
Feb 1, 2015, 04:20 PM
Lol Sonic Boom killed Sega harder than Sonic '06 and the Sega Saturn combined.

I thought the incompetence bar couldn't be raised any higher. Good on ya, fellas.

landman
Feb 1, 2015, 05:02 PM
The downsizing of Sega America was announced almost a year ago, Sonic Boom has nothing to do with it. Sega Europe was downsized two years ago, and they have been releasing games as usual under all their development studios (Hardlight, Creative Assembly and Sports Interactive).

Along with the relocation, Sega Sammy has announced the reinforcement of the Sonic franchise, so don't worry, you will see Sonic not only in the ongoing cartoon and the upcoming Columbia Pictures movie, you will see him everywhere, games included.

Don't forget Sega Sammy is currently building a billionaire resort casino and they recently bought Atlus and Relic, Sega is far from dead, but if you like console games... don't expect much outside Sonic.

Noblewine
Feb 1, 2015, 05:25 PM
You forgot the Yugioh card game is also owned by Konami. Plus I love contra. :/
Season 1 of yugioh is my fave. Btw is downsize their staff really going to change anything if pso2 is released in the US?

Is IGN a reliable source for news about gaming?

HandOfThornz
Feb 1, 2015, 08:14 PM
. Btw is downsize their staff really going to change anything if pso2 is released in the US?

Probably!?

With the old SEGA 4 pillars for the western market strategy now dropped and focused on digital, PC and mobile being SEGA west strategy, i guess there is more of a chance PSO2 is now on the way.

Vampy
Feb 1, 2015, 08:28 PM
Sega is hurting.
Nintendo is hurting.
Capcom is hurting.

Or to be more technical:

Oh the three nintendo is doing far better than capcom and sega look at the 3DS tell me that isn't a success. Nintendo just needs to stop being stubborn with how they handle advertising and online overall. They still make money off their IPs sure not as much as in past generations but still they have some of the strongest IPs, and have not done anything to alienate the fans of those IPs they just failed to market the wii u competently enough to truly make money of it.

landman
Feb 1, 2015, 08:35 PM
With the old SEGA 4 pillars for the western market strategy now dropped and focused on digital, PC and mobile being SEGA west strategy, i guess there is more of a chance PSO2 is now on the way.

Sorry but the four pillars are intact: Total War, Football Manager and Sonic, I don't know about Alien, who knows if they are working on more Alien games or if they will pas on the license, but you can ad now Company of Heroes by Relic. Oh, and forgot Creative Assembly new team is working on a Total Warhammer, and I'd expect Relic to be working on a Warhammer 40k tittle too.

Meta77
Feb 1, 2015, 09:02 PM
sonic 06 did not hurt sega. if i recall didnt it hit 360s greatest hits rank? Regardless i enjoyed the game back when it came out. Sonic boom was crap compared to it. pso is no better now. I really enjoyed it starting out but now it feels all its meant to be is a dress up sim. I miss the thrill of early days. I really would love to see a "next gen" pso game. with graphics above ff14. but knowing sega that is asking for to much.

Jungo Torii
Feb 1, 2015, 09:08 PM

Nah, pretty sure the writing was already on the wall for a long time.

Bad releases, bad business decisions, and certain companies screwing the hell out of them.

All those things tend not to make profitably self-sufficient companies.

Edson Drake
Feb 1, 2015, 09:23 PM
Oh the three nintendo is doing far better than capcom and sega look at the 3DS tell me that isn't a success. Nintendo just needs to stop being stubborn with how they handle advertising and online overall. They still make money off their IPs sure not as much as in past generations but still they have some of the strongest IPs, and have not done anything to alienate the fans of those IPs they just failed to market the wii u competently enough to truly make money of it.

While the 3DS was a success. The Wii U wasn't, outdated hardware compared to the PS3 and 360, can't really compete now with current gen, lack of games and originality overall. In fact Nintendo already announced a new console, that's how bad it was for the Wii U. I don't think they're bad financially, just not really as good as they were before.

sonic 06 did not hurt sega. if i recall didnt it hit 360s greatest hits rank? Regardless i enjoyed the game back when it came out. Sonic boom was crap compared to it. pso is no better now. I really enjoyed it starting out but now it feels all its meant to be is a dress up sim. I miss the thrill of early days. I really would love to see a "next gen" pso game. with graphics above ff14. but knowing sega that is asking for to much.

It's not a matter that Sega can't afford better graphics. The Japanese way demands simplicity and inclusion, just look at Nintendo. It's the way to have decent enough graphics and reaching a huge demographic.

Sega could've just used Unreal Engine 3 or Cry Engine(both cost pickles) if they really wanted high end graphics in PSO2, but then that would mean bumping up the system requirements to play, leaving out people with old hardware/no gfx card, a big no-no to the online gaming market.

You forgot the Yugioh card game is also owned by Konami. Plus I love contra. :/
Season 1 of yugioh is my fave. Btw is downsize their staff really going to change anything if pso2 is released in the US?

Is IGN a reliable source for news about gaming?

Yeah Yugioh is one of my favs too, huge franchise almost on par with MTG in terms of business model. Sold a few cards back then myself, one could actually live by selling them. Not sure how they are faring these days with the franchise though.

Nitro Vordex
Feb 1, 2015, 09:40 PM
This. My sadness is extreme. *longing eyes at Sega Genesis he got in 94*

I'd say this is a huge step toward PSO2 being released in the Americas. If they're forgoing console releases for the most part, or entirely, and focus on PC and digital gaming, it sounds like they may finally see the need to release PSO2.

*crosses fingers for VANQUISH PC port*

I already embraced the digital versions of games. I would love to show see ports for PC.
I'd cross my dick so hard for a Vanquish PC port.

Imagine PSO2 just gets rereleased as a Sonic MMO. Sonic Xenoverse. :wacko:

Usually, a game going greatest hits just has to do with number of units moved.

Totori
Feb 2, 2015, 02:13 AM
Someone needs to show them the light, it's not too hard to see they have a decent way of actually making a profit.

landman
Feb 2, 2015, 04:20 AM
While the 3DS was a success. The Wii U wasn't, outdated hardware compared to the PS3 and 360, can't really compete now with current gen, lack of games and originality overall. In fact Nintendo already announced a new console, that's how bad it was for the Wii U. I don't think they're bad financially, just not really as good as they were before.

WiiU is selling worse than the Wii but that is a given, the Wii was the miracle both Sony and Microsoft hurried to copy in order to get a piece of the new demographics it reached. But, do you know the WiiU and the XboxOne have sold almost the same units? and compare the WiiU catalogue with both PS4 and XboxOne, at least Nintendo has published enough games to make the purchase worth. And if we are talking about outdated hardware, I would include both PS4 and XboxOne, the so called "next gen" still hurting to deliver 1080p and 60fps, and so far their catalogue has been composed of past gen relaunched games at the resolution the PC versions delivered 5 years ago.

AzurEnd
Feb 2, 2015, 04:42 AM
Problem with the Wii U was that NintenDOH thought it was a great idea to release a console LONG before any of its major titles would even be released, pretty much relying on 3rd party developers jumping over from the PS4 and XboxOne.

As for the Wii U having outdated hardware... it really does have outdated hardware... Whats more surprising is the type of content they have been able to push out on it using that hardware just shows you how well they are able to optimize it. I mean the thing only has 1.24GHz Tri-core, 2GB of memory and a 550MHz GPU

landman
Feb 2, 2015, 05:17 AM
Problem of the WiiU is the name, I still have to tell some friends my age it is not an accessory for the Wii but a new console. Guess what will happen with the "New Nintendo 3DS"?...

And since the Gamecube days third party developers were afraid of releasing games on Nintendo platforms because their performance was FAR from first party titles, that's why Nintendo let those months for third party publishers, but alas, the console underperformed, because Nintendo fans really only care about Nintendo games, so they didn't buy the console, and specially not the games (Mass Effect, Ninja Gaiden, Assassins Creed, Call of Duty, etc).

HandOfThornz
Feb 2, 2015, 08:28 AM
Sorry but the four pillars are intact: Total War, Football Manager and Sonic, I don't know about Alien, who knows if they are working on more Alien games or if they will pas on the license, but you can ad now Company of Heroes by Relic. Oh, and forgot Creative Assembly new team is working on a Total Warhammer, and I'd expect Relic to be working on a Warhammer 40k tittle too.

The four pillars are there, yes, however they are now not stated as the main IPs to be focused in the west.
Stating Digital, PC, Mobile hopefully gives SOA a bit of room to bring in other jp titles, like we have been seeing towards the end of 2014.
I see this as a positive for PSO2, i'm not saying its 100% coming but certainly better odds than the old strategy of the 4 main pillars for the west as a focus. ;)

landman
Feb 2, 2015, 09:12 AM
The problem is the day they announced their focus in the "4 pillars", they also announced a focus on digital. And PSO2 has always been digital. I see no changes in the matter...

Searaphim
Feb 2, 2015, 09:18 AM
I've heard stories about SEGA working on hardware to possibly release a console when the time is right but I guess they completely gave up on that for now.

landman
Feb 2, 2015, 10:37 AM
They completely gave up on that in 2001, and this has never changed lol

Railkune
Feb 2, 2015, 12:28 PM

I thought the incompetence bar couldn't be raised any higher. Good on ya, fellas.

Pretty much this.

MadDemon64
Feb 2, 2015, 01:02 PM

Well, Sonic Boom isn't really much of a Sega game. It was not made by Sonic Team, so even though it was published by Sega, it wasn't made by Sega.

Think of Sonic Boom as the Wand of Gamelon/Faces of Evil of the series.

LonelyGaruga
Feb 2, 2015, 01:08 PM
That's right. Think people are overlooking that it's not even Japanese developed. Sonic Boom is an NA made game.

Which is just hilarious with how incompetent it is. Sonic Chronicles at least had a lot of promise, being made by Bioware (which was cut short by being forced to release early), but Sonic Boom is legitimately just a bad game.

Akaimizu
Feb 2, 2015, 01:50 PM
Sonic Boom was a rushed game, but bad because of the rushing. An example (but not the prime example) of the "a rushed game is forever bad" quote. Not sure what idea they had to make a Sonic game (even if they called it a spin-off) a licensed game. I don't trust them or their dev scheduling to create a great Sonic game to meet a Licensed TV show or movie date. Most of those fail to be that good (whether it is Sonic or not), even if they get those initial sales.

It had parts that were nice, but not enough of them and some glaring bugs in part that were way easy to catch. A sure sign of the difference between bad by concept, bad by execution, and bad by rushing out the door before it was ready. It was SEGA's timely version of an AC Unity release. Just not quite as embarrasing-looking as Ubisoft's game on release.

landman
Feb 2, 2015, 02:53 PM
The WiiU sold poorly and so, Mario&Sonic and Sonic Lost World underperformed, but they still needed a third exclusive Sonic game for Nintendo since that was the deal: cheapest solution was outsourcing it. Sonic has had its image stained for a long time, I don't think Boom was any kind of finishing blow, on the contrary, once they release another "Generations" or similar quality Sonic title all old and new fans will be playing it and hopping the best for the next one.

Cyclon
Feb 2, 2015, 03:07 PM
The WiiU sold poorly and so, Mario&Sonic and Sonic Lost World underperformed, but they still needed a third exclusive Sonic game for Nintendo since that was the deal: cheapest solution was outsourcing it.That sounds a bit simplistic, and they used this "cheap solution" as advertisement for a new cartoon show, as well as let it be the yearly Sonic game, giving it quite a lot of spotlight willingly.

Triple_S
Feb 2, 2015, 03:09 PM
Problem of the WiiU is the name, I still have to tell some friends my age it is not an accessory for the Wii but a new console. Guess what will happen with the "New Nintendo 3DS"?..

Pretty much this. There's more to it (poor launch title selection, high price tag when you consider it was released during the recession, ineffective advertisement), but it's certainly one of the bigger reasons the casual audience didn't get it.

landman
Feb 2, 2015, 05:10 PM
That sounds a bit simplistic, and they used this "cheap solution" as advertisement for a new cartoon show, as well as let it be the yearly Sonic game, giving it quite a lot of spotlight willingly.
On the contrary, the cartoon is the advertisement for the Sonic franchise. Do you think the demographics that will be introduced to the franchise thanks to the cartoons actually care if the games has its flaws? they are the needed new blood Sonic needs to survive. We oldschoolers are a minority when it comes to sales.

Kamijou Touma
Feb 2, 2015, 05:14 PM
we get it sega has gone down the shitter but seriously making them feel worse isnt going to help
pso2 is a great game
imo they should just hire aida to finish the localization

i mean come on aida has done a shit load of work and so have other people

sega should just let aida finish and upgrade their servers with a bit more power

after all they would lose less money by doing that instead of paying a shitty company like asiasoft(asiashit)

and the profit they would get would be awsome

hell localization by pso2's number one english community would be the greatest thing they could ever do

why pay a company to make an older version of your game just for localization when you can just pay the guys who are and have already been localizing the game since it became popular and is the reason why the game is so popular to the english community

LonelyGaruga
Feb 2, 2015, 05:26 PM
That sounds a bit simplistic, and they used this "cheap solution" as advertisement for a new cartoon show

On the contrary, the cartoon is the advertisement for the Sonic franchise.

Neither the cartoon nor the games are advertisements for each other. The games are terrible quality but don't advertise the cartoon at all. Has nothing to do with it save character designs being shared. The cartoon, from what I hear, is the best thing the Sonic Boom sub-franchise has to offer, but doesn't actually advertise the games at all. The new designs, personalities, and character interactions have nothing to do with the games and makes it clear that they are something entirely different. The cartoon cannot be called an advertisement for anything because it is clearly its own thing within the Sonic franchise. Keep in mind that Sonic has had several cartoons in the past, most of them being made in America (Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Underground, the comic adaptations...). Sonic Boom is just another one of those cartoons. It's certainly one way to introduce a person to the games, but so would commercials or making new games. It's clearly intended to be profitable on its own, so it isn't an advertisement.

landman
Feb 2, 2015, 05:30 PM
I said "Sonic franchise", not Sonic games or Sonic Boom games, if the character (Sonic) gets new adepts then they have succeeded in advertising it though the new cartoon, the same way other cartoons did the same to different generations of kids.

Sizustar
Feb 2, 2015, 05:49 PM
we get it sega has gone down the shitter but seriously making them feel worse isnt going to help
pso2 is a great game
imo they should just hire aida to finish the localization

i mean come on aida has done a shit load of work and so have other people

sega should just let aida finish and upgrade their servers with a bit more power

after all they would lose less money by doing that instead of paying a shitty company like asiasoft(asiashit)

and the profit they would get would be awsome

hell localization by pso2's number one english community would be the greatest thing they could ever do

why pay a company to make an older version of your game just for localization when you can just pay the guys who are and have already been localizing the game since it became popular and is the reason why the game is so popular to the english community

What server?
They don't have a server for the US, and if it's US, it'll mean International version.
Which I truly doubt that SOA have the funding, manpower or experience to run.
Which is why most likely, SOA and Sega itself has only been selling the right to it to international<Asiasoft, Gamania> large online game company in their own country.

Cyclon
Feb 2, 2015, 06:16 PM
Neither the cartoon nor the games are advertisements for each other. The games are terrible quality but don't advertise the cartoon at all. Has nothing to do with it save character designs being shared. The cartoon, from what I hear, is the best thing the Sonic Boom sub-franchise has to offer, but doesn't actually advertise the games at all. The new designs, personalities, and character interactions have nothing to do with the games and makes it clear that they are something entirely different. The cartoon cannot be called an advertisement for anything because it is clearly its own thing within the Sonic franchise. Keep in mind that Sonic has had several cartoons in the past, most of them being made in America (Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Underground, the comic adaptations...). Sonic Boom is just another one of those cartoons. It's certainly one way to introduce a person to the games, but so would commercials or making new games. It's clearly intended to be profitable on its own, so it isn't an advertisement.The game indeed has very little to do with the cartoon. Eggman does have the robot controlling thingie he got at the end of the game in the cartoon, and uses it pretty actively, and Tails has the plane, but that's all that comes to mind.
The thing is, are we seriously talking about a cartoon and a game that share the same title, star the same exact characters with the same pretty specific redesigns, generally have the same visual identity, and debuted/were released at roughly the same time... and claiming they weren't meant to affect one another at all?

On the contrary, the cartoon is the advertisement for the Sonic franchise. Do you think the demographics that will be introduced to the franchise thanks to the cartoons actually care if the games has its flaws? they are the needed new blood Sonic needs to survive. We oldschoolers are a minority when it comes to sales. That's one of most obvious objective of a Sonic cartoon, yes. But they had no reason to have it sport the Boom redesigns, or the townspeople from the game, or Sticks, etc, if they wanted to advertise the franchise, which never had all of these.

Noblewine
Feb 2, 2015, 06:25 PM
Here's hoping sonic doesn't end up like Megaman. =/

landman
Feb 2, 2015, 07:03 PM

For those who don't care to read:

http://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/

In addition, the Sonic and merchandising businesses will be reinforced to establish a structure which can generate stable profits.

Anduril
Feb 2, 2015, 07:11 PM
c. Enhancing efficiency in overseas businesses
Local organizations managing packaged game software in Western markets will be streamlined. In the U.S., Sega of America, Inc. based in San Francisco will be relocated to Southern California by this summer and its existing office in San Francisco will be closed thereafter, which results in reducing fixed expenses, mainly in corporate functions. In addition, the Sonic and merchandising businesses will be reinforced to establish a structure which can generate stable profits.
So it looks like in international markets, they will be focusing on enhancing the Sonic brand to generate more, consistent money; I take that to mean more ventures like the Sonic Boom cartoon, and hopefully those Sonic head ice-cream bars with the gumball eyes.

landman
Feb 2, 2015, 07:13 PM
Don't forget Columbia Pictures will take him to Hollywood!

Noblewine
Feb 2, 2015, 07:18 PM
I didn't see any news... just downloadable files.

So Sonic is going down the same route Megaman did?

Anduril
Feb 2, 2015, 07:21 PM
I didn't see any news... just downloadable files.

So Sonic is going down the same route Megaman did?
The links are .pdfs that have the corporate documentation. My above quote is from Sega-Sammy's Notice of Implementation of Structure Reform in SEGA Corporation (http://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/pdf/release/20150130_segareform_e_final.pdf) and is the only part that seems to apply specifically to SEGA's Western assets; the rest is related to general restructuring of SEGA as a whole.

Noblewine
Feb 2, 2015, 07:25 PM
The links are .pdfs that have the corporate documentation. My above quote is from Sega-Sammy's Notice of Implementation of Structure Reform in SEGA Corporation (http://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/pdf/release/20150130_segareform_e_final.pdf) and is the only part that seems to apply to SEGA's Western assets; the rest is related to general restructuring of SEGA as a whole.

I see. Thanks.

Triple_S
Feb 2, 2015, 08:09 PM
hopefully those Sonic head ice-cream bars with the gumball eyes.

Oh man, I remember those things. That and the Megaman one.

Give me a Tails one and I'll literally explode with fanboyish joy be happier than you can imagine.

LonelyGaruga
Feb 2, 2015, 11:06 PM
I said "Sonic franchise", not Sonic games or Sonic Boom games, if the character (Sonic) gets new adepts then they have succeeded in advertising it though the new cartoon, the same way other cartoons did the same to different generations of kids.

I don't understand how that makes it an advertisement and not an expansion of the franchise.

The game indeed has very little to do with the cartoon. Eggman does have the robot controlling thingie he got at the end of the game in the cartoon, and uses it pretty actively, and Tails has the plane, but that's all that comes to mind.
The thing is, are we seriously talking about a cartoon and a game that share the same title, star the same exact characters with the same pretty specific redesigns, generally have the same visual identity, and debuted/were released at roughly the same time... and claiming they weren't meant to affect one another at all?

Hasn't Tails always had a plane? Since like, Sonic Adventure? Not counting StH2's since allegedly it's owned by Sonic (I don't think Sonic actually flies it or any plane outside of Sonic Advance's ending, and even then I don't think he flew it unless you were playing as Tails).

They're within the same sub-franchise and were initially intended to be within the same continuity, so I wouldn't say that, but I would say that neither of them are advertising the existence of the other. Not saying anything more than that either, they're just expansions of the Sonic franchise.

So it looks like in international markets, they will be focusing on enhancing the Sonic brand to generate more, consistent money; I take that to mean more ventures like the Sonic Boom cartoon, and hopefully those Sonic head ice-cream bars with the gumball eyes.

That's what it sounds like to me too. Toys, food, cartoons, profitable expansions. Not advertisements. Advertisements are like commercials, billboards, cardboard cutouts, getting a moron to dress in a mascot outfit, stuff like that. Things you can't possibly directly make a profit off of, but creates greater awareness of the franchise anyway.

TaigaUC
Feb 3, 2015, 02:36 AM

They've all been long dead to me.

Cyclon
Feb 3, 2015, 04:08 AM
Hasn't Tails always had a plane? Since like, Sonic Adventure? Not counting StH2's since allegedly it's owned by Sonic (I don't think Sonic actually flies it or any plane outside of Sonic Advance's ending, and even then I don't think he flew it unless you were playing as Tails).Well, that's true. I mentioned it because it's specifically the plane you have to get in the game, which is pretty different from the Tornado and Tornado II.

They're within the same sub-franchise and were initially intended to be within the same continuity, so I wouldn't say that, but I would say that neither of them are advertising the existence of the other. Not saying anything more than that either, they're just expansions of the Sonic franchise.It really boils down to your definition of advertising. It's true that they don't actively promote each other at any point, to my knowledge anyway. But I still think they clearly are mutually building up public awareness of their counterpart, and I especially don't believe that wasn't what Sega was aiming for with this project.

Noblewine
Feb 3, 2015, 07:05 PM
They've all been long dead to me.

Sad to say it but the comic is the only thing I'm reading now instead of playing the games.
The megaman comic isn't bad either. =/

Walkure
Feb 3, 2015, 07:55 PM
I'd take a new Castlevania game over several new Sonic/Megaman games. Hell, even if it was God-of-Warvania rather than Metroidvania or a classic Castlevania.

Maninbluejumpsuit
Feb 3, 2015, 10:16 PM
Hell, even if it was God-of-Warvania rather than Metroidvania or a classic Castlevania.

I know beggars can't be choosers, but please no. A castlevania like lament of innocence with an expansive castle full of secrets, and stuff to backtrack for like symphony of the night would be fine.

I didn't like the on-rail-experience, and I especially didn't like the repatitive shadow of the colossus boss fights from lords of shadow. Though the second one is a step up, it just felt like another devil may cry to me.

Triple_S
Feb 4, 2015, 12:08 AM
Huh, another person who liked Lament of Innocence (or even knows it exists).

I need to go back and play it again, it was pretty nice.

thehondachef
Feb 4, 2015, 01:07 AM
I liked Curse of Darkness, even though its level design wasn't the best example of the series.

I seriously hope this Sega downsizing thing somehow results in PSO2 NA being released, though.

Anduril
Feb 4, 2015, 01:30 AM
I liked Curse of Darkness, even though its level design wasn't the best example of the series.

I seriously hope this Sega downsizing thing somehow results in PSO2 NA being released, though.
That's the thing, based on Sega-Sammy's statements, it seems that all focus of SoA will be on strengthening the Sonic brand. Unless they do what they did with Taiwan and SEA and give PSO2 over to another company to distribute and manage, this may be another nail in PSO2's Western release's coffin.

thehondachef
Feb 4, 2015, 02:28 AM
Gah, I missed the second page of the thread.

In that case, we pin our hopes on AIDA et al at Arks Layer.

shutupandtakemymoney.png

Skyly HUmar
Feb 4, 2015, 04:25 PM
Sega should just go down and sell their first party IP's already.

This is actually what I have been wanting for a loooong long time. I hope it's namco that gets them.

That's the thing, based on Sega-Sammy's statements, it seems that all focus of SoA will be on strengthening the Sonic brand. Unless they do what they did with Taiwan and SEA and give PSO2 over to another company to distribute and manage, this may be another nail in PSO2's Western release's coffin.

It's not like all of the signs weren't there from the start, but yeah, just another reason why it wont be coming to the west.

Noblewine
Feb 4, 2015, 05:56 PM

I highly doubt it will though I like to see it come out.

I heard Capcom did the same thing and is no longer having problems but I feel sorry for the employees who were unfairly laidoff.

Walkure
Feb 4, 2015, 06:24 PM
I know beggars can't be choosers, but please no. A castlevania like lament of innocence with an expansive castle full of secrets, and stuff to backtrack for like symphony of the night would be fine.

I didn't like the on-rail-experience, and I especially didn't like the repatitive shadow of the colossus boss fights from lords of shadow. Though the second one is a step up, it just felt like another devil may cry to me.I don't think anyone who plays the series prefers them, but I'd still take one. They're kind of a modern take on pre-SotN games, which is alright.

HandOfThornz
Feb 5, 2015, 08:30 AM

I don't see how so many of you see this as possibly another nail in PSO2 coffin.

PC, Digital and mobile is SEGA's new main focus instead of focusing on Just 4 main games in the west.
Digital will be downloadable titles (i would assume)

PSO2 is PC, PSO2 Vita is downloadable (and packaged), PSOes is mobile.
Its all there! \o/
Server wise, there is no point setting a server up in a city/building when its going to be moved a few hundred miles a few months later.

I still hold hope for a PSO2 west server this year, but that's me. ;)

Anyway the sad news of more people who work hard have lost they're jobs. I hope they get back up on they're feet soon.

Anduril
Feb 5, 2015, 09:17 AM
I don't see how so many of you see this as possibly another nail in PSO2 coffin.

PC, Digital and mobile is SEGA's new main focus instead of focusing on Just 4 main games in the west.
Digital will be downloadable titles (i would assume)

PSO2 is PC, PSO2 Vita is downloadable (and packaged), PSOes is mobile.
Its all there! \o/
Server wise, there is no point setting a server up in a city/building when its going to be moved a few hundred miles a few months later.

I still hold hope for a PSO2 west server this year, but that's me. ;)

Anyway the sad news of more people who work hard have lost they're jobs. I hope they get back up on they're feet soon.

"c. Enhancing efficiency in overseas businesses
Local organizations managing packaged game software in Western markets will be streamlined. In the U.S., Sega of America, Inc. based in San Francisco will be relocated to Southern California by this summer and its existing office in San Francisco will be closed thereafter, which results in reducing fixed expenses, mainly in corporate functions. In addition, the Sonic and merchandising businesses will be reinforced to establish a structure which can generate stable profits."
emphasis mine
(source) (http://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/pdf/release/20150130_segareform_e_final.pdf)

This particular statement is what makes me believe that SEGA will be almost exclusively focusing on strengthening the Sonic brand in its Western market. The focus on digital seems to be something that will be done by SoJ, while the already diminished capacity of SoA will be focused almost solely on marketing and merchandising. Again, that's the way I see it.

landman
Feb 5, 2015, 09:52 AM
SoA is just an office, the servers could be in many other places, Sega owns a few studios they could run the server, most obvious choices being Relic (Vancouver) and Three Rings (San Francisco, creators of Spiral Knights, another f2p MMO still running).

Anduril
Feb 5, 2015, 09:55 AM
SoA is just an office, the servers could be in many other places, Sega owns a few studios they could run the server, most obvious choices being Relic (Vancouver) and Three Rings (San Francisco, creators of Spiral Knights, another f2p MMO still running).
Aye, and that's my point. A Western PSO2 managed and distributed by SEGA is something that seems unlikely at this point thanks to the new direction Sega-Sammy is taking with their Western market. It could see the light of day if they hand it off to another company, just like with the SEA and Taiwan versions.