PDA

View Full Version : BBA PPoE almost working

alpha
Feb 16, 2001, 08:32 PM
Can someone help me? I got a Linksys 4 port router and Verizon ADSL. I can connect to server and select the ship i wanna join. It starts loading then it disconnected. GAME OVER. Press Start. I used that BBA download thing and set it up using the 0.0.0.0 settings, i can browse the next with the disc but PSO wont werk, anybody?

Thanks,
Alpha
L11, HUcast

Anonymous
Feb 16, 2001, 09:05 PM
I'm exactly where you are. I have a 1 port router, and SWB DSL, but I have the same problems. Are you able to connect to empty blocks? I was at least able to do this. If a solution is not found soon, I'm giving up on online play. PSO is still a fun Diablo clone without online play.

I've heard of people getting DSL to work, do their ISP's use DHCP instead of PPPoE?

alpha
Feb 17, 2001, 12:53 AM
I dunno, the router says it DCHP but the ISP uses PPoE to connect to Verizon. I dont know what the heck is going on, i just need help on how to get it werkin, i had it today i could connect to the server, select a ship then its disconnected, CAN ANYONE HELP ME, anyhow, do i need a new router? new isp? different configuration? anything, i need help!! I tried all sorts of configs and i couldnt get it to work, if some1 could icq or aim and get it working me ill give them 15000 of my 16737 meseta. Thanks

alpha
Feb 17, 2001, 12:56 AM
i think its something simple, i think im using the wrong ip and dchp server crap , how do i figure all these out? i think im just stupid. gh, friday night all gone trying to get it working. =P i need help, PLEASE ANYONE IM DESPERATE.

alpha
Feb 17, 2001, 01:27 AM
I heard of someone using client rather than DCHP with this router, how can i do this? Im kinda new to networking. Thanks

alpha
Feb 17, 2001, 01:36 AM
eh, i keep thinking of stuff, maybe someone can send me a VMU file with BBA settings, YAY, i hope it werks. If anyone reading this has the vmu file, go on your dreamcast an please EMAIL it to Me! PLEASE - [email protected], THANK YOU.

PaladinRPG
Feb 17, 2001, 09:14 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't BBA settings are stored in the DC's internal memory?

alpha
Feb 17, 2001, 01:12 PM
the modem settings are, but if u use the BBA at the end it saves it to the VMU, and i need this file, thanks

kp9
Feb 17, 2001, 03:48 PM
I have the EXACT same setup as you, BBA/VerizonDSL/Linksys router. The VMU file doesnt work. I get to the same point as you and get a lockup or a disconnect. I read a post on another forum where the guy had this setup and got some software to let his PC do NAT instead of the router. Apparently, the Linksys doesnt handle the port forwarding well enuf for PSO...im returning my BBA and using the free dialup included with my VerizonDSL account. DA%N Sega...maybe its better they're getting out of the hardware industry; we've been getting screwed since 32X! Hopefully PSO2 will be on PS2. I have confidence in Sony to do the broadband thing correctly, both in Japan AND the US

alpha
Feb 17, 2001, 04:18 PM
FREE DIAL Up? i never heard of any free dial up with my service, D-mnit i probably have had one they never chose to tell me, how do i find out?

Anonymous
Feb 17, 2001, 07:54 PM
I just spent an hour or so playing around with my linksys router settings, and the Dreampassport 3.0 settings. I tried enabling DMZ on the dreamcast's ip, but that didn't work. Also, I tried forwarding ports 9200-9400, which seem to be the ports PSO uses(at least on outgoing, I can't see my incoming log for some reason), but no help either.

I had a breakthrough though. I was in an empty lobby, and someone joined. It was the first time I have ever seen another person on PSO. I thought I had it working then, and switched blocks to test, but then I locked up. I am going to test to see if I can actually form a team, and play on empty blocks/lobbies.

Can anyone confirm if the problem is with the linksys router, DSL, ISP, BBA settings, or what? It would be nice to have a definite place to start looking for the problems?

Anonymous
Feb 17, 2001, 08:34 PM
Grr.. Just tried forming a team. As soon as someone else joined, I was kicked.

I'm sure there must be an answer to this somewhere...

alpha
Feb 18, 2001, 01:45 AM
if ya do find the answer please inform me, im tired............................................. .................................................. .....oops i almost fell asleep, yah, if anyone can help us let us know plz n thx.

Anonymous
Feb 18, 2001, 03:29 AM
God damn!! I have the same setup.. and the same problem..

I tried DHCP, tried assigning static IP from the router, tried DMZ on the DC IP addy.. and nothing works, I connect and it boots me when I try to enter a block... I waited to buy the game until I got the BBA working, and now I still cannot get it working.... this pisses me off to no end.. If you do find a solution, please post it here

Bill

Anonymous
Feb 20, 2001, 05:11 PM
BBA + PSO with PPPoE can and does work. Unfortunately it does not work well with the LinkSys routers.

For those of you without LinkSys Routers -- don't buy them. Get the NetGear RT314 -- I have it and it works fine with simple setup as a DHCP server. It has one bug, when you first try to logon it will come back with an "cannot get IP address from DHCP" error. Just lonon again and it will work the second time (every time). I think that PSO is just timing out before the Netgear has time to assign the BBA an IP.

Now, for LinkSys you can do one of two things: (1) sell your router on Ebay and just get the Netgear -- sorry but this is the only fool proof way to get your BBA to work. (2) Supposedly some people have gotten the LinkSys to work by (a) disabling the DHCP functions and assigning the BBA a static IP and changing the BBA config accordingly, (b) tinkering with the DMZ settings, and (c) disabling the firewall on the port with the BBA on it. I am not sure if these work because I have the Netgear.

Bottom line go with the Netgear -- it is faster, more solidly constructed, and has a five year warranty. The LinkSys just has issues with PSO. Check these other threads I have started.

http://boards.ign.com/message.asp?topic=2608479&page=1

Note: I origninally planned to get the LinkSys but got talked into the Netgear -- I am glad I did.

Note: Some guy named "Nerpish" over on the Daily Radar PSO boards got the LinkSys to work with PSO.

Hope this helps. If you see a Ramar named Max Skrill online help him out -- thanks.

BTW I have Eartlink ADSL with PPPoE.

Veg
Feb 20, 2001, 07:50 PM
I just bought a Netgear four-port router to replace my Linksys. PSO works fine now. The only things I set up on the router was my login info. I didn't have to fiddle with any port forwarding, DMZ, etc. I was thinking it was odd that PPPoE was the problem, I guess now I know it wasn't.

If it's in your budget, this might be the best solution to your problems.

raalishi
Feb 20, 2001, 08:10 PM
Alpha,
I beleive what you are missing on your config would be in your linksys router. Now honestly I have very little experience with that particular route, but I am going to assume two things. One the router you have uses NAT addressing (also called masqurading) and two, it can also do port forwarding.

If I am correct in these two assumptions, then I may just have the answer for you. PSO needs to have ports 41000 through 41999 available to it. If you are running a NAT box, you then need to have your NAT box (Linksys router) to automatically point all packets going into your router silently to your dreamcast.

What you will need to do is take a look at the configuration of your route and see if it has a section that deals with port forwarding (inbound NAT address is sometimes what it is called. Then in that section you will need to add the range of 40000 to 41999 to point to your dreamcast's local ip address.

As I've not yet gotten one of the broadband adapters for my dreamcast, I can't 100% say how to figure out what your dreamcast's IP address will be, but I am assuming that you enter this information into your BBA at some point.

But I did get my dreamcast to "dial" into my pc last night, and then used a nat addressing setup to bypass my normal phoneline, and use my cable modem to connect to PSO, and I had to make sure that the ports mentioned above were pointing back at my dreamcast.

A nice walkthrough for the setup I'm using is located at http://home.elp.rr.com/terlouw/

One thing that caught me off guard in this setup was the fact that you are required to have a dialup adapter in your network control panel (this was not mentioned in the walk through and had me stumped for a while)

Hopefully all my ramblings will help you out.

faceless
Feb 21, 2001, 04:25 AM
i use the netgear .. DHCP works fine for me...
i just left everything as 0.0.0.0 and it automtically does it all

Anonymous
Feb 21, 2001, 11:58 AM
Thanks Guys, Your'e all great, i work at a Babbages/Software Etc.So I'm gonna return my Linksys Today =P. I wonder If BestBuy carries netgears, anyone know? Oh well , thanks for your help. YaHoo! cant wait now, i wanna go leave school and set it up to play, =P. Cya online sometime.

alpha
L19 HuCast

PSOAmeshi
Feb 22, 2001, 10:45 AM
I have DSL service through Southwestern Bell and I was thinking about getting a BBA for my DC. I started reading this thread and got completely lost. What exactly are the Linksys and Netgear things everyone is talking about? I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but I honestly have no clue.

Anonymous
Feb 22, 2001, 10:58 AM
Routers, get a Netgear NT-314, a 4port router w/ built in switch. If you plan to get the BBA, get one of these NETGEAR (http://www.netgear.com/product_view.asp?xrp=4&yrp=12&zrp=55). Best et would be to buy one on eBay, not retail. Im waiting for mine, thats why i can post at home, only in school 4 a few days.

alpha
L19 HuCast

PSOAmeshi
Feb 23, 2001, 02:03 AM
Probably another stupid question..But when I connect with my DSL, I have to use a login program on my computer. With the router, do I just have to login on one computer and everything routed off of it would work..or what?

lyricaldanichan
Feb 23, 2001, 03:55 AM
Hello,

I actually got my pppoe dsl to work with PSO, I found a program called Comsocks which is an extremely powerful proxy server for 95/98/NT/2000/ME computers sharing a Cable or DSL Modem, or traditional dial-up account. Support for NAT gives you a transparent connection for your clients to the internet, making installation simple, too. 3.05a offers support for VPN Connections, a DHCP server, NAT, DNS service, HTTP, FTP, Telnet, RealAudio, Socks 4/5, ICQ, IRC, Dial-On Demand/Autodial, POP3 Email, Newsgroups, and Port Mapping.

You can dl the sharewhere version at:
http://winfiles.cnet.com/apps/98/servers-proxy.html

This will emulate a "router" and get you online
but you need to be familiar with DNS to get it working. Hope this helps!

Ok, I mention before that I did get the Linksys BEFSR41 Cable/DSL Router which I eventually got it to work with my ISP Mindspring/Earthlink).

With the help of my friend Zeiche, this is what got it to work (tho I still do have problems with freezes and disconnections).

1: Disabled DHCP
2: Under Forwarding added this:
Service Port Range: 5800-5800
Protocol: Both
IP: 192.168.1.2
Service Port Range: 5900-5900
IP: 192.168.1.2
Service Port Range: 80-80
IP: 192.168.1.1

With the BBP, this is the settings I added:
IP: 192.168.1.5
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
DCHP: 0.0.0.0
Primary DNS: 207.69.188.186 *
Secondary DNS: 207.69.188.185 *
(*MINDSPRING/EARTHLINK DNS ONLY)

I left everything else blank and saved it, boom I finally get on to a webpage with the browser and switch to PSO. I think somebody else mention being able to get into PSO but either having problems freezing while connecting to a ship/room/game. So I am able to play alone, but allways freeze or get booted off when either somebody joins or I join a game. Has anybody gotten past this yet? Oh yeah I found out that I had a faulty cat5 cable which is why I couldn't get online with my DSL http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_razz.gif .. hehe everybody check their cables if you are still having probs! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif

Hope that helps!

Danielle

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: lyricaldanichan on 2001-02-24 04:18 ]</font>

Troll
Feb 25, 2001, 06:43 PM
Technically, you dont need a router. If you only have one computer or 2 you want to broadband connect you put 2 network cards in your main cpu. the cablemodem line/dsl line goes in one network card and a cable goes out to a hub. (i use a netgear en104 4 port hub) It doesnt have to be in the uplink port either, port 1 is what i use. Then just have network cables going out in the other ports (in my case ports 2,3,4/uplink). Port 1 has the 2nd Network card from my cpu, port 2 has my other cpu, and port 3 has a network cable connecting to my bba in my dc. my port4/uplink is empty) It works for me using Time Warner's Road Runner Cable Modem Service. Oddly enough, this is what microsoft help files on win98se+ reccomend you do if you want to share a broadband connection. For more details, just go to start->help and search for cable modem or broadband...you'll find it eventually. Also, you need Internet connection sharing enabled. The only drawback to this method is that your main computer must be on whenever other computers/dc's use the connection. I leave my on 24-7 so it's no problem, but other people turn their computer off every night.

Troll
Feb 25, 2001, 06:49 PM
I had a NetGear RT314 and it blows! Time Warner in Michigan found a way to not allow a router to be used. LinkSys is good because you can manually enter all your info including the mac address of your cable modem. Currently I am using Microsoft Windows Whistler Beta Build 2428 and it's the best version of windows made to date. I can have all the stability of win2k/nt and compatibility of 9x/me at the same time. Some bugs need to be worked out, but it's still in beta so in 7 years when it is finally released...there will still be bugs just because it's microsoft. Anyway, i dont use a router because whistler lets me bypass it and just have 2 network cards as my previous post explains.

Mik
Feb 25, 2001, 09:32 PM
I've been running a Linksys BEFSR41 router/firewall/switch sharing @home cable access between my PC and DC. The BBA worked on my first try setting it up and has been great ever since. I had DHCP disabled anyway on the Linksys box to begin with. I also had my external ip, subnet, dns, gateway, domain and all that stuff set manually. Admittedly I don't have to deal with the annoyance of using PPPoE but the router has always worked great for me.

alpha
Feb 25, 2001, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the help, I ordered my Netgear a few days ago, so it should be here soon, as soon as i get it ill theel everyone how its lived up to be. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_razz.gif

faceless
Mar 1, 2001, 06:59 PM
On 2001-02-25 15:49, Troll wrote:
I had a NetGear RT314 and it blows! Time Warner in Michigan found a way to not allow a router to be used. LinkSys is good because you can manually enter all your info including the mac address of your cable modem.

RTFM
you can do that with the netgear too

Troll
Mar 4, 2001, 06:18 AM
Sorry, i dont know why i typed that in, what i meant to say was that linksys is better for me because my isp doesnt have any method of stopping it from working it yet. Although, using windows whistler is good because they probably dont have a way to stop it from working in an unreleased OS.

alpha
Mar 8, 2001, 11:31 AM
GAWD, i hate eBay, i ordered the netgear a day before i saw the post about the one at eOutpost, i believe it was the 21st or 22nd, i sent the money to the guy on eBay and still nothing! Just yesterday I get an email from him saying it'll finally be here on monday, i feel some negative feedback coming on. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_mad.gif

shortiboi4
Mar 16, 2001, 04:58 AM
Why can't Sega just release PSO ver 2 with unlocked Broadband Support! Then none of use would have to go through this! As you're trying to get BBA working go and sign petition!

Anonymous
Mar 19, 2001, 07:58 PM
If you live in the southern United States, I would suggest Bellsouth.net's Fast Access ADSL plan. They offer a very fast DSL connection with a backup 56k Dial Up connection for instances when the DSL server must go down. I use my backup account for PSO, just to avoid the hassle. No problems for me. Also, any other branch of Bell-Etc. such as Bell Pacific, Bell Atlantic, Bell Midwest... would probably offer the same plan. Check around with various ISPs.

alpha
Mar 19, 2001, 08:34 PM
nah, i got the netgear router and it works just fine, thanx anyway, http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif.