PDA

View Full Version : mouse/keyboard or gamepad?

jayssle26
Feb 14, 2015, 08:57 PM
I was just wondering, and realized that this game could control pretty well with an xbox controller. It definitely would be less confusing to play (because I think the default keyboard control setting for this gameis a bit counter-intuitive...), But with a controller, you do lose the innate advantage of high turning speed and accuracy you would have with the mouse, and you lose all them extra keys that the keyboard provides. But does that really matter for a game like this? When attacks auto-lock on targets and there really isn't that many key imputs like a typical MMO?

What do you guys think? How many of you use a gamepad? Is it generally better or more comfortable to play this game with a game controller?

wefwq
Feb 14, 2015, 09:02 PM
Lots of times i tried being into a gamepad for this game, but i just can't.
End up being complete helpless and useless while using gamepad and can't move as fast as while i'm using KB/M.
But maybe it's just me because i'm already used with KB/M for this game.

Bellion
Feb 14, 2015, 09:12 PM
Just don't play Force or Ranger if all you do is lock on. Some techs are infinite range that make use of manual aim, some techs make use of grazing and not making it hit the ground/objects, some launcher PAs make great use of manual aim.
If you want to access subpalettes on a pad, then you're going to have to use a program to map crap.

final_attack
Feb 14, 2015, 09:15 PM
I did try using Gamepad too .... but just using it for "turbo" function / button mash (right-click mash and panel mash), pressed using my toes, while general moving and action using Keyboard+Mouse.

Well, main reason would be ..... I'm using TPS mode 99% of the time, even as melee. TPS mode with gamepad is just ...... ^^; the other 1%, just for locking on Vibras's red core when applying CT. But, due to ..... my scumbag brain. I can't really move and thinking right when using auto-lock mode. When using auto-lock to apply CT on Vibras, I just stand (taking every attacks it throw at me when it did attack), turning camera around, and left-click if I see red core targeted, can't evade / move around ._.

It got it's own difficulty for me for some PA though (Shunka (not that I set them .... it's when I tried Shunka the first time they added it), newest Knuckle PA, or any PA that dash around), since I usually just went through the mob ._. It seems you need to aim the cross-hair a little bit to the right of target to make it hit. And it seems to be much easier to use Knuckle PA and Guilty Break rather than Shunka on manual aim ._.

Natsu Nem
Feb 14, 2015, 09:29 PM
I'm primarily M/KB for other games but I play PSO2 on gamepad since it feels more comfortable to me during gameplay.

Doing anything palette related on gamepad is pretty annoying since you have to scroll through them. I hold my gamepad over my keyboard and tap my pinkies on keyboard to switch weapons/access subpalettes. Alternatively, you can use a third-party macro.

Perfect Chaos
Feb 14, 2015, 09:39 PM
I have an MMO gaming mouse (Logitech G700s) and gaming keyboard (Logitech G19s), so there's really no point in using a gamepad, as I can do everything on the M+KB better. I have a friend that uses a gamepad, and it seems like he runs into a lot of limitations quite often.

Triple_S
Feb 14, 2015, 11:52 PM
Mouse and Keyboard is better, especially for non-melee classes. That being said, melee classes do feel better to play IMO with a gamepad... not sure why.

the_importer_
Feb 15, 2015, 01:22 AM
Rangers and Gunners work best with mouse and keyboard, but as for the rest of the classes, gamepad. Considering it's a sequel to a game that was on a game console and also considering the fact that it's a 3rd person action game with a jumping mechanic, I say stick with a 360 gamepad.

hoangsea
Feb 15, 2015, 01:37 AM
keyboard and mouse is much easier to handle this game

this is another reason why ppl in vita block doing stuffs not good as the PC block

Padoca85
Feb 15, 2015, 01:45 AM
I use the gamepad with the keyboard next to me to do chating and palete

Im looking to ger a wired x360 controller so i can use my chatpad with the pc driver made for it.

red1228
Feb 15, 2015, 02:36 AM
GamePad here.

I make no delusion that it's "better". I am just very old-fashioned from home consoles. I never really got into PC gaming until around 2010.

I do have a semi-gaming Mouse (Drakonia Sharkoon) & Keyboard (AULA), but if a game has the option to use controller: I bust out the old 360 controller.

xxmadplayerxx
Feb 15, 2015, 02:54 AM
Keyboard and mouse for life, i tried gamepad a few times but i just couldn't get the feel of it, but i think there is another way to control this game using a mod with The Oculus Rift?

ikon
Feb 15, 2015, 02:59 AM
i like my 360 controller for my fi/hu but it def feels like controller has serious issues with certain other classes. especially when it comes to switching between weps/subpalletes

Lumpen Thingy
Feb 15, 2015, 06:22 AM
I find the game to be better with a controller and before people say I use a controller for every dam game I have a k70 and a naga razor mouse that I love for almost EVERY other game besides pso2 and emulated games.

Digital Pain
Feb 15, 2015, 07:16 AM
Former game pad user here! game pad is great for this game however as others have said it's limited when compared to Mouse+KB, no fast palette switching (without macro programs) and TPS mode is awkward to use.

I bought a gaming Keyboard and Mouse back in 2013 for this game and after getting used to it I feel a lot more efficient than I ever did with gamepad.

Jim
Feb 15, 2015, 08:57 AM
Im looking to ger a wired x360 controller so i can use my chatpad with the pc driver made for it.

Does the chatpad work with wireless controllers as well? If so, I usually recommend that people avoid using wired Xbox controllers on PC. In my experience, they've stopped working faster then their wireless counterparts, usually due to a short where the wire connects to the controller. I'm a big fan of the wireless 360 controller kit for PC.

It comes with a wireless USB transmitter, and a normal wireless controller (no different from the one that comes with the 360 itself). The USB transmitter is fantastically designed. It's just a little box with a sync button, and it can handle up to 4 wireless controllers in just one USB port! Though, if you have USB ports to spare, you can combine wireless and wired controllers. Player order is determined the same way as on 360. This makes it really easy for your friends to bring their controllers over for playing emulators and such.

I've never heard of the USB transmitter wearing out. So, if your controller stops working, you can replace it with any 360 controller; wired, wireless, whatever.

Padoca85
Feb 15, 2015, 10:11 AM
Does the chatpad work with wireless controllers as well? If so, I usually recommend that people avoid using wired Xbox controllers on PC. In my experience, they've stopped working faster then their wireless counterparts, usually due to a short where the wire connects to the controller. I'm a big fan of the wireless 360 controller kit for PC.

It comes with a wireless USB transmitter, and a normal wireless controller (no different from the one that comes with the 360 itself). The USB transmitter is fantastically designed. It's just a little box with a sync button, and it can handle up to 4 wireless controllers in just one USB port! Though, if you have USB ports to spare, you can combine wireless and wired controllers. Player order is determined the same way as on 360. This makes it really easy for your friends to bring their controllers over for playing emulators and such.

I've never heard of the USB transmitter wearing out. So, if your controller stops working, you can replace it with any 360 controller; wired, wireless, whatever.

Nope, unfortunaly the driver only works with the wired controller.

I've been using a wireless one as well, so I need to get a wired one to be able to use my chatpad.

the_importer_
Feb 15, 2015, 11:27 AM

You're lucky, here's a guy who paid $10 for a used chatpad to try the driver that came out for the wireless 360 controller. After an hour of fiddling with this crap, I managed to make it work.... in Windows, it replicates the keyboard and mouse, but it doesn't work in PSO2.

FireswordRus
Feb 15, 2015, 12:25 PM
i am use Raze Orbweaver and Razer Naga.

oratank
Feb 15, 2015, 01:06 PM
have game pad got quick palette swap command like in psu?

Lumpen Thingy
Feb 15, 2015, 02:24 PM
have game pad got quick palette swap command like in psu?

Yes the game menu wise is like PSO and PSU.

Skyly HUmar
Feb 15, 2015, 11:57 PM
When I used to play I preferred a gamepad. I forgot exactly how I did it, but you can change the button layout to attack with your triggers and shoulder buttons while in manual aiming mode and still keep the normal layout when not in manual mode. If you do that, you shouldn't have a problem playing non-melee classes on a gamepad if that is a more comfortable controller for you.

schnee4
Feb 16, 2015, 01:56 AM
hehehe maybe big american prefer controller. similar to hamburger also minor hand movement

landman
Feb 16, 2015, 04:59 AM
I use mostly Gamepad + Keyboard for shortcuts and weapon change, but eventually I also use Gamepad + Mouse just to aim some techs or the Rodos harpoon, but aiming with the gamepad is usually fine (my attack buttons are RB RT/R1 R2 both in normal camera and TPS). Moving the character with the KB I can't, all other actions are in too different places, specially dodge.

Squall179
Feb 16, 2015, 08:25 AM
hehehe maybe big american prefer controller. similar to hamburger also minor hand movement

Then explain why PSO and PSU used the same device and did as well as they did in japan.

Seriously though....

Anyway, moving on.

Personally, I use this.

http://www.play-asia.com/cyber-troopers-virtual-on-twin-stick-ex-paOS-13-49-en-70-5ps3.html

I USED a Sega Saturn twinstick but my roomie finally ended up breaking it in a fit of drunken stupid rage.

Gama
Feb 16, 2015, 01:45 PM
gamepad, allot more confortable and with the f310 i can pretty much macro anything.

SHiFT-Di3S3L
Feb 17, 2015, 02:08 AM
Use an XB1 controller, because I play PSO2 on my TV.

ikon
Feb 17, 2015, 04:20 AM
Use an XB1 controller, because I play PSO2 on my TV.

how do you like the xbox1 controller? better quality than the 360? did it come with a micro usb cord?

starwhisper
Feb 17, 2015, 04:27 AM
Former game pad user here! game pad is great for this game however as others have said it's limited when compared to Mouse+KB, no fast palette switching (without macro programs) and TPS mode is awkward to use.

Best advice on this topic, the majority are just "X is better" based on what they play :-P .

I know that some features that makes gamepad usable are just a burden for KB+M use: weapon palette limited numbers, only 1 subpalette at any time, being forced to have 2 sets of keybinds for TPS/FPS and the console-like interface. But weapon switching is so important in this game it kills any gamepad usage.
- Dual blade bouncers for example have to switch a lot because of element stance (or you can play dispersion shrike spam in break stance but you will be subpar).
- Rangers have to switch between rifle and launcer very often and in the middle of the fight (or you can be that ranger who never uses WB because of switching and aiming).
- There was a talk a about gunners : I played Gu for a long time and I feel like its important to be able to switch the weapon palette while comboing or flying of you will have to edit your weapon palette with every boss that spawns (or you can just spam elder rebellion from range)
- KB+M looks better even for forces because the subpalette, while being small, allows the use of more techniques than the 3 slots tied to the weapons. This way you can have, for example, your normal attack spells tied to your weapon and buffs, heal, cc or megiverse and co all available at any time.

The game developpers have put much effort into making the game and the interface playable with a gamepad, but the best is to have a mouse with side buttons where you can keybind numpad 1 to 9. Just don't come here to defend the gamepad if you dont talk about joy2Key or something similar: you need to play the game some more before advising.

Gardios
Feb 17, 2015, 04:58 AM
Weapon swapping isn't a big deal with pad tbh.

starwhisper
Feb 17, 2015, 05:09 AM
I brought 3 arguments proving it is and added an argument about subpalette. "tbh" proves nothing.

landman
Feb 17, 2015, 06:41 AM
Using the KB short-cuts wile playing with the gamepad is perfectly doable, even playing on a TV, I will provably not use attacks from the subpalete with the KB, I usually only use zondeel or zandion and I use the gamepad for them, but every other suport/situational tech or skill it's not a big deal to move your hand to the KB and press the key. I guess people with tons of fire techs on the subpalete can only do it right with KB + Mouse, I prefer to switch to a different weapon for different attack techs.

Z-0
Feb 17, 2015, 06:47 AM
Weapon-switching by scrolling through the palette is horrible when you need to switch weapons quickly for whatever reason (either for cancelling, switching palette for different attacks, etc). Subpalette thing is an obvious one. Using lots of techs from weapons that aren't rod, talis or wand is painful if you have to use lots of different ones in a short time frame.

Mouse and Keyboard is much better for this game if both are vanilla, but optimally I think this game works best with gaming mice / keyboards or a pad setup to include a lot of buttons through toggles and what not. (I actually play with a foot pedal, as well). Whatever you choose at that point is up to preference, I play with a controller.

red1228
Feb 17, 2015, 07:06 AM
Weapon swapping isn't a big deal with pad tbh.

I brought 3 arguments proving it is and added an argument about subpalette. "tbh" proves nothing.

Moving your thumb up & down 1-2 inches from its resting position on a controller, is not a big deal.
Less effective than a Mouse's scroll wheel? Yes.
Earth-shattering-dramatic event? No.

You can throw around all the facts about Keyboard+Mouse gaming you want. It does not change the comfort some players have with controllers.

I've never seen a reason for having five attack spells on a subpalate. Three on each Force weapon is more than enough. If you need more, just press up or down on the D-pad (which is no farther a distance from your thumb, than the 1-0 keys above your fingers are, on a Keyboard) to switch weapons. Works just fine for my Mage.

But if cramming as much shit as possible onto a single subpalate works for someone, then go ahead. How one player controls movement & combat (that works for them) doesn't mean everyone has to play that way, especially if it doesn't "feel right" to them.

Let people play/control how they want, because none of this really matters. We're all heading towards the same end-goal of showing off stupid rares & buying silly accessories for our imaginative waifu's to dance in the lobby for six hours until Magatsu, Tower Defense or whatever EQ show up.

Searaphim
Feb 17, 2015, 07:15 AM
I really enjoy mouse and keyboard and also have a razer mouse with buttons on which you can set up key bindings and macros. Very Useful.

AlVaRo0515
Feb 17, 2015, 10:37 AM
how do you like the xbox1 controller? better quality than the 360? did it come with a micro usb cord?

tbh its a huge improvement from the xbox 360 controller. only thing that's annoying is that I cant use the xbox one mic on the pc, but its no big deal since I have a gaming headset for the PC/XB1 (Astro a40). I have the controller completely mapped out for dashing/ wep switch cancelling (D-Pad down for npad6/back button for wep swap/dpad up for LA/LA command), it is a very responsive controller and the triggers are awesome since it requires almost zero effort to press after stepping for long periods. for using the palette, I use the numbers on top of my KB, and the numpad for weapon switching. if you prefer to play pad, I would recommend the xbox one controller.

the only problem I presonally have with using pad is TPS'ing, since I tend to mess up due to my thumbs locking lol. when it comes to that, I just use the mouse for that.

EDIT: to answer your question, no, it does not come with a micro usb cable, you will have to buy that seperately. (GG Microsoft)

jooozek
Feb 17, 2015, 02:44 PM
back when i started i swore by keyboard and mouse, tried a gamepad one year later and never went back
true story

starwhisper
Feb 18, 2015, 05:34 AM
Moving your thumb up & down 1-2 inches from its resting position on a controller, is not a big deal.

Which tumb are you talking about, the left one? Then you cannot run and weapon switch at the same time. Considering the strange 3-steps speed of our characters, it means you will fall behind every time you need to change your weapons.
If you are talking about the right one then its worst: it is totally impractical because the right stick is on the way, and to validate your weapon switch you need to press A which happens to be very far away from the left cross. This is the longest weapon switch ever.

SHiFT-Di3S3L
Feb 18, 2015, 06:18 AM

It came with a lengthy, decent quality cable. It feels smaller than the 360. The bumpers feel awkward, and is hard to hold onto over long periods of time. I just deal with it, it's ok.

Squal_FFVIII
Feb 18, 2015, 06:28 AM
I used to play with a 360 controller. I tried the KB and Mouse but they feel terrible for this type of game. Seeing as I always played pso games on consoles this should come as no surprise.

I have a decent gaming KB and mouse too. Corsair KB40 raptor and a corsair M45 gaming mouse.

However I now use a xbone controller because the 360 wired ones used to die really quickly. Mostly the cable would die from being "bent" to much.

So far i'm loving my xbone controller. At first the bumpers left weird as hell but once you get used to them (took me a couple of days) they feel so much better than the 360 ones.

Also the quality of the controller feels much better and just has a much nicer look and feel to it. The Dpad is also a HUGE improvement over the 360 ones but that should go without saying =P

Flaoc
Feb 18, 2015, 06:38 AM
well like people have said in here, you will need a program like xpadder to make things easier on you.

currently have this setup in pso2 so i can swap weapons easily as controller. i use dualshock 4 not xbox and i hit the dpad buttons with my index finger so i can move and swap no problem.

[SPOILER-BOX]
http://grabilla.com/05212-bd7e9a94-cea5-4a87-8173-f7a1098ae4d7.png[/SPOILER-BOX]

even in pso1 i had to use a program just to make things easier

[SPOILER-BOX]
http://grabilla.com/05212-4ffc88a2-cc95-4263-96ef-5204e64cdafc.png[/SPOILER-BOX]

the only real issue i can see if you have a decent program setup is tps aiming and my solution for that is to make sure the tps sensitivity is low like 25-30 (its purely preference though) though u will still not be as accurate as a mouse but it should help a bit.

edit: my controls are also completely adjusted as i have dodging, shift, pa's, and normal attacks on my R1 R2 L1 L2 that one is for not having to claw just to have to move the camera while attacking also sometimes i still use my index to hit the face buttons but not terribly often.

Sideswipe
Feb 18, 2015, 06:44 AM
I think it depends on class.

I use Keyboard for Ranged, Gamepad for melee.

I find it a lot easier to go 3rd Person Shooter with Keyb+Mouse, which i don't do at all, nor lock-on on melee.

In the end, it's up to how YOU feel more confortable playing.

SHiFT-Di3S3L
Feb 18, 2015, 08:11 PM
It also depends on the person, just play how you like.

Gryffin
Feb 18, 2015, 08:16 PM
I use a Gamepad (PS3 controller) because I used to play while I ran on my treadmill, now that I'm programmed to my (somewhat unorthodox) controls, I loathe to play any other way.

I've not had any limitations from using a Gamepad, minus the quick social responses Keyboard controls allow, and I only used the PSO2 options mapping system, with out any additional silliness.