PDA

View Full Version : The extinction of the male characters...

Chimeria
Feb 23, 2015, 08:25 AM
I've been on a somewhat long break from playing PSO2. Between the constant connection problem, some "issues" with other players and just being somewhat bored with the game I just decided to leave for a while to explore some other gaming options. I still miss this game sometimes though...But there's still something that irks me to no end about PSO2.

And that is the fact that it's so freakin' focused on female characters. Seriously though, it seems like 95% of the games characters (not players) are female.

"But wait Chimeria. The joy of playing an online game is choosing to play as whatever you want to play as!"

And that's entirely true...But it seems like Sega makes waaaay more stuff for the female characters than the guys. Seriously, we get no love. Even the latest player created costumes are only for the women. There are about 111 different hairstyles for guys while women have a whopping 228. There's more accessories aimed towards them, their emotes are usually way more detailed and dynamic. (And less goofy looking) More costumes are usually released for them it seems as well...Guys do like having the options for more outfits and looking cool while kicking ass.

"Well, If I'm going to play a game for hours, I'd rather look at a woman's ass all day then a guy's..."

I love women just as much as the next guy but Sega clearly doesn't care (as much) about the males here. I honestly think they're going to phase out the guys...Hell, I think there will even come a point where they'll create a new race consisting only of females that you can only play as if you pay premium for it.
LOL.

Sorry if this was coming off as a rant (which is sort of is...) but I just pointing out a few things I've noticed during my time away from the game.

kuromechan
Feb 23, 2015, 08:36 AM
cause female costumes are more fabulous than male's (only a few male costumes are an exception)

Stealthcmc1974
Feb 23, 2015, 08:39 AM
Well, majority of the player base chose female characters AT THE START of the game, so SEGA noticed and made more stuff for females. This in turn enticed more people who joined later to make female characters and well, you see where this is going. If you want to be upset with anyone, you could try the initial player base but that's not gonna get you very far.

Also one of the outfits for this scratch is for a dude, it was the black sleeveless thing with the large cape-like bottom to it. And there's more male stuff for the second half of the player designed scratch.

wefwq
Feb 23, 2015, 08:49 AM
Because waifufag.

SEGA are also kinda on fault since they're keep feeding and pander these people to no end to generate more profit, and since it's a success they keep doing it.

Chimeria
Feb 23, 2015, 08:50 AM
cause female costumes are more fabulous than male's (only a few male costumes are an exception)
Well yeah because Sega puts more effort into them...

Well, majority of the player base chose female characters AT THE START of the game, so SEGA noticed and made more stuff for females. This in turn enticed more people who joined later to make female characters and well, you see where this is going. If you want to be upset with anyone, you could try the initial player base but that's not gonna get you very far.

Also one of the outfits for this scratch is for a dude, it was the black sleeveless thing with the large cape-like bottom to it. And there's more male stuff for the second half of the player designed scratch.
I'll even go back to before the game was released...I wish I could find that video with the devs being SUPER hyped over the "advanced boob slider." They knew what they were doing before-hand man. I guess they don't called PSO2 a waifu simulator for nothing.

I can't seem to find the costume you speak of though Stealth. Hopefully, there are some cool things planed for the guys though in the second half. I am still looking forward to the Shizuru outfit but even that frustrates me because it's a recycled outfit from the past games. lol

Because waifufag.

SEGA are also kinda on fault since they're keep feeding and pander these people to no end to generate more profit, and since it's a success they keep doing it.
I was thinking PSO2 would become scarlet blade where all the characters are female but PSO2 is actually fun...

Stealthcmc1974
Feb 23, 2015, 08:58 AM
I can't seem to find the costume you speak of though Stealth. Hopefully, there are some cool things planed for the guys though in the second half. I am still looking forward to the Shizuru outfit but even that frustrates me because it's a recycled outfit from the past games. lol

It was this one but upon further inspection I see it has heels, so scratch what I said. The Unisex one comes out in the second half.
[SPOILER-BOX]http://www.bumped.org/psublog/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/hanayui-ougi.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

On that note, this one totally should have been Unisex.
[SPOILER-BOX]http://www.bumped.org/psublog/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Lean-Pitchner.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

Also:

I wish I could find that video with the devs being SUPER hyped over the "advanced boob slider." They knew what they were doing before-hand man.

I honestly don't know of many games with a boob slider like PSO2's so yeah. But they still fail, because no butt slider. But I guarantee that even without the super boob slider, we'd still have plenty of female characters running around.

NoiseHERO
Feb 23, 2015, 09:00 AM
"Well, If I'm going to play a game for hours, I'd rather look at a woman's ass all day then a guy's..."

I love women just as much as the next guy but Sega clearly doesn't care (as much) about the males here. I honestly think they're going to phase out the guys...Hell,

Man I've always thought that line was stupid, I always look at the back of my characters heads lol. (Even when playing as a girl. ) basically either "I'm uncomfortable with my sexuality" "I only play girls for perverted lonely man reasons" or a dumb excuse period.

Nevermind the secretly wanting to be a woman, or being a gay guy in disguise (It's 2015 no one cares anymore) or "I just like the way people treat me when they think I'm a girl because of some insecure reason scenarios. THOUGH it is funny you don't hear said excuse anymore now that being gay/trans is finally mainstream accepted.

End of the day, fuck what other people think. But yeah.

I think there will even come a point where they'll create a new race consisting only of females that you can only play as if you pay premium for it.

I dunno about the premium part... but I wouldn't put a "female-only" race past them at this point, yeah.

Stealthcmc1974
Feb 23, 2015, 09:07 AM
"I just like the way people treat me when they think I'm a girl..."

Back when I played Metal Gear Online, I fucked with people and made them think I was a girl for shits and giggles. Haven't done that as much in PSO2 sadly.

On the note of an all-female race, I'd be upset and okay with it simultaneously. I'd be upset because it would be a "Fuck you" to the guys who want the beasts in PSO2, and I'm okay with it because Mass Effect did it with the Asari, and those guys (or girls, they only have the one gender) are awesome.

oratank
Feb 23, 2015, 09:12 AM
cast better than male that's why

Chimeria
Feb 23, 2015, 09:16 AM
On that note, this one totally should have been Unisex.
[SPOILER-BOX]http://www.bumped.org/psublog/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Lean-Pitchner.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

I could sort of see that. I hope the unisex ones do actually look unisex and not just women's outfits that guys can wear. The one you were talking about still wouldn't look good on guys even without the heels. And that huge ribbon on the back...

But they still fail, because no butt slider.

Totally freaking agree about the butt slider. Who knows, maybe they'll add one in eventually. *shrug*

Man I've always thought that line was stupid, I always look at the back of my characters heads lol. (Even when playing as a girl. ) basically either "I'm uncomfortable with my sexuality" "I only play girls for perverted lonely man reasons" or a dumb excuse period.

Nevermind the secretly wanting to be a woman, or being a gay guy in disguise (It's 2015 no one cares anymore) or "I just like the way people treat me when they think I'm a girl because of some insecure reason scenarios. THOUGH it is funny you don't hear said excuse anymore now that being gay/trans is finally mainstream accepted.

End of the day, fuck what other people think. But yeah.

I dunno about the premium part... but I wouldn't put a "female-only" race past them at this point, yeah.

I have a trans cousin so those kind of things don't really bother me. She's freakin' gorgeous too. (as weird as it feels to say that. lol) But I totally understand, I've seen how people treat female characters. And I know some girls who personally hate it because they just want to be seen as a player and not treated any different based on their gender. But yeah the excuses are pretty dumb too...Half the time, I'm not even looking at my character because I'm watching the enemies and trying to dodge/block attacks. But I guess it applies more for when standing around B-11 and doing various dances...

As for the gender-locked races, I've never been too keen on them. I feel like it takes away from the freedom to be whatever you want in a game. And I was just being overly drastic with that comment but with the way Sega is going, I wouldn't be surprised if something like that happened in PSO2.

Selphea
Feb 23, 2015, 10:31 AM
What about the ones wearing Rappy suits? I mean, we're getting a Robo-Rappy suit! That's totally speciesist! They're spending too much dev time on weirdos who think they're birds!

Cerebral Assassin
Feb 23, 2015, 10:40 AM
What about the ones wearing Rappy suits? I mean, we're getting a Robo-Rappy suit! That's totally speciesist! They're spending too much dev time on weirdos who think they're birds!

Sounds like you're saying its a Poultry solution to a big problem.

emeraude
Feb 23, 2015, 10:57 AM

But what if I'm actually a bird :(

[spoiler-box]http://i.imgur.com/zmkznsm.jpg[/spoiler-box]

Searaphim
Feb 23, 2015, 11:16 AM
My first character was a male but I'm one who's looking for style or fanciness no matter the gender so after a while I just had to make a new female character since the dudes really lacked material to make them awesome.

SilenWhisper
Feb 23, 2015, 11:33 AM
I made 2 female characters throughout the game because:
*Newman females have more T-atk than males.
*Dewman females are better balanced over males,even if it is for a little.
*I am NOT interested in striking arsenal aside the hybrid ones(GunSlash,Wand,Jet Boots).Why almost EVERYONE picks a female & still goes full melee is something I still cannot understand.

In other news,I made a male Cast today.Say "NO!" to male extinction.

Chimeria
Feb 23, 2015, 11:43 AM
I made 2 female characters throughout the game because:
*Newman females have more T-atk than males.
*Dewman females are better balanced over males,even if it is for a little.
*I am NOT interested in striking arsenal aside the hybrid ones(GunSlash,Wand,Jet Boots).Why almost EVERYONE picks a female & still goes full melee is something I still cannot understand.

In other news,I made a male Cast today.Say "NO!" to male extinction.
I think Casts get it just as bad. We rarely see any new cast parts it seems. There are alot of cast parts that look like human clothing.

On the bright side, the male Cast parts are fairly cheap compared to the female stuff.

Skize
Feb 23, 2015, 11:45 AM
I have both a female and a male character. I find myself playing my waifu simulator more due to two reasons:

1) RA/BR is just so much fun and challenging compared to me FO/TE. Spam Namegid/IlMegid all day to win kukukuku

2) I come back after not having played since the DDOS, and almost all of the male costumes suck! Like what the heck Sega? The only ones even worth getting are some of the military uniforms and that one other outfit. Other than that, they look wacky as heck. The look I had before the DDOS is still the best look I can think of for my male character... Honestly, it's kind of disappointing.

SakoHaruo
Feb 23, 2015, 11:51 AM
It was this one but upon further inspection I see it has heels, so scratch what I said. The Unisex one comes out in the second half.
[SPOILER-BOX]http://www.bumped.org/psublog/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/hanayui-ougi.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

Only a few more days until Davin. :-P

Edson Drake
Feb 23, 2015, 12:35 PM
1) RA/BR is just so much fun and challenging compared to me FO/TE. Spam Namegid/IlMegid all day to win kukukuku

Ehh, Ilmegid?

Zorua
Feb 23, 2015, 12:41 PM

Dark force is dead, yo. We fire force now.

landman
Feb 23, 2015, 12:56 PM
My female newman has changed clothes like 3 times in two years, basically because she is not the typical kawaii/loli/waifu and I try her to be more serious. I guess I have the same problem as males since 90% of what is released are skimpy designs. Oh and yeah, went female for the T-atk, not that stats are that important in this game.

Magicks
Feb 23, 2015, 12:58 PM

Well, as far as I'm concerned, the meta now is Fire FO/TEs. Although I'm seeing more variety now with some Ice FO/TE or FO/FI. I even see some that are Wind FO/TE. (I, myself run pure Light or Dark FO/TE depending on the mood.) Some may not be as fast to clear as Fire FOs, but they're still okay.

As for me... Well, I made two females as well. One is my primary spellcaster, while the other character is a Ranger main class. (Although I just end up playing with my Force character because it's a hassle to redo everyone.) If I had a third slot, I'd probably make a male character. Although he wouldn't be "omfg, super buff handsome" but more of thin and uh... Flamboyant?

Gardios
Feb 23, 2015, 01:06 PM

No, you were right. That one... actually is... for guys. SideB has these for guys:

[SPOILER-BOX]http://i.imgur.com/dpH0bAR.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ik9vAoZ.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

The last one wasn't even designed for guys in the first place.

I still can't believe that's what the guys will get, considering all the other male design entries. At least Fenrir Coat looks good on young guys...

Finn Reid
Feb 23, 2015, 01:07 PM
I have only one character I actually play, that being male, and I get put in so many MPAs with nothing but females that it's just weird. 9/10 I'm taller than everyone else too. Not to mention I hardly care about the very minor race bonuses.

In the end it's definitely Sega's fault, look at how many hairstyles for females there are compared to males and how many accessories fit with females but would look odd on a male.

Chimeria
Feb 23, 2015, 01:10 PM
No, you were right. That one... actually is... for guys. SideB has these for guys:

[SPOILER-BOX]http://i.imgur.com/dpH0bAR.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ik9vAoZ.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

The second one wasn't even designed for guys in the first place.

I still can't believe that's what the guys will get. At least Fenrir Coat looks good on young guys...

What the hell? :disapprove:
*sigh* So now we're cross dressing? That's really disappointing...And I was liking the Fenris until I saw those goofy boots. It's times like this I miss the mix and matching of PSU.

I'm like...legit saddened by these clothing choices.

I have only one character I actually play, that being male, and I get put in so many MPAs with nothing but females that it's just weird. 9/10 I'm taller than everyone else too. Not to mention I hardly care about the very minor race bonuses.

In the end it's definitely Sega's fault, look at how many hairstyles for females there are compared to males and how many accessories fit with females but would look odd on a male.
I'll be honest, I've never cared too much about the race bonuses either in this game. PSO had better racial stats and abilities that made somewhat of a difference (Like CAST immunity to poison and HP regen) and that doesn't really exist here.

LonelyGaruga
Feb 23, 2015, 01:18 PM
Japanese media generally favors girls unless it's a shounen series or otherwise directed toward young males, so it's to be expected that something like PSO2 favors girls.

Personally speaking, I pick gender based on three things.

1) If gender affects how characters treat the player, I pick male
2) If gender affects statistical gameplay, I pick whatever I deem most useful
3) If gender has no effect on anything, I pick female

PSO2 falls under 2), so I have a male Dewman for S-ATK and a female Newman for T-ATK, and if I want to play an R-ATK class I'll make a female Cast for that. Currently at a 1:1 ratio with a possibility to go to 1:2.

Player population surveys, as I recall, showed that the male:female ratio was something like 1:3 or 1:4. EP2's (http://pso2.jp/players/event/2nd_anniversary/report/player/) indicates 31.9% of characters are male, and 68.1% are female, which is just slightly less than 1:2. Don't think the survey for EP3 has hit yet. If it hasn't, then it's a wait-and-see to find out how the ratio is doing now.

There's something about this "reasoning" that I would like to die. The idea that, during normal gameplay, a person would be staring at a female character's hindquarters long enough to enjoy it (and not just taking quick, meaningless glances), uninterrupted by actually playing the game (which is a higher priority task that requires more attention and brainpower than simply staring at said female character's posterior), when one could simply take a short break to take care of that business. It's simply nonsensical to pick a girl for this reason. Not to say that picking characters based on orientation or aesthetic is wrong, but specifically the part about staring at the character's ass during gameplay. Anyone that actually does that should be focusing on actually playing the game so that they don't faceplant (though they probably don't mind that if they're wearing a skirt).

Stealthcmc1974
Feb 23, 2015, 01:20 PM
Only a few more days until Davin. :-P

Davin's got his outfit all lined up, but no one will get to see it until I start Episode 2 of the Let's Play. This scratch will be all about Niare lol.

No, you were right. That one... actually is... for guys.

http://www.mememaker.net/static/images/memes/2035483.jpg

If Polaris gets finalized and everything, I'd wish we'd be able to submit our own ideas for outfits to get it in the Polaris server. That way, we have decent Male outfits for a change. But I don't think we'll be able to make our own outfits will we?

MadDemon64
Feb 23, 2015, 01:36 PM
I blame the fact that male CASTs look like scaled down mechs and female CASTs actually look like androids.

LordKaiser
Feb 23, 2015, 02:16 PM
Well:

1- Male Newman is useless unless you want to focus on melee Te or something like that. The female has more T-Attack as a base.

2- Female Dewman has more base dex so you can go with a full S-MAG without being worried about equipment.

So stats being different on genders have something to do with it.

Perfect Chaos
Feb 23, 2015, 02:48 PM
EP2's (http://pso2.jp/players/event/2nd_anniversary/report/player/) indicates 31.9% of characters are male, and 68.1% are female, which is just slightly less than 1:3.Those percentages are much closer to a 1:2 ratio than a 1:3 ratio. Being ~1:2 is actually better than I would have thought in terms of how close to balanced the gender numbers are.

LonelyGaruga
Feb 23, 2015, 03:00 PM
Well:

1- Male Newman is useless unless you want to focus on melee Te or something like that. The female has more T-Attack as a base.

2- Female Dewman has more base dex so you can go with a full S-MAG without being worried about equipment.

So stats being different on genders have something to do with it.

Male Newman are statistically useless, period.

HP: 95%
S-ATK: 100%
R-ATK: 99%
T-ATK: 108%
DEX: 100%
S-DEF: 100%
R-DEF: 105%
T-DEF: 100%

1% more HP and 5% more R-DEF compared to female Newman, vs 2% more T-ATK and 5% more T-DEF. Tied for second lowest HP, tied for worst S-ATK, R-ATK, and DEX, and only has R-DEF as the best stat, whereas other races strike a good balance or are the best at what they do. Female Casts for example have the second best HP, the best R-ATK, the best DEX,and the best R-DEF. While their S-ATK is fourth best, it's still above average, leaving the worst T-ATK and T-DEF (tied with male Casts) as their only poor stats. They do everything male Newmans do, better, except for T-ATK, and female Newmans do everything male Newmans do, better, except for the 1% HP (and if HP was important then you could go female Human for 9% more HP at the cost of 4% T-ATK).

Between the stats, being male, and the goofy racial quirk of having modifiable ears, male Newman are pretty much doomed to be the least popular race. About 1:30 characters are male Newman, the gender ratio is 1:5 male:female, and about 1:10 of all male characters are Newman.

Humans, on the other hand, are almost four times as common, have a gender ratio of almost 1:1, and make up about half the male population, despite being statistically inferior to male Casts and both Dewman races. Particularly male Casts, they have better stats in everything male Humans excel in. HP, S-ATK, S-DEF, superior in the former two and tied for the last. The only stats male Casts lose out on are T-ATK and T-DEF, but male Humans are terrible at that too (average T-ATK is 103%, male Humans have 100%). It's pretty safe to say that most people that pick male Human don't do so for the stats, but 14.6% (1 out of every 7) characters are male Human.

All this really does is show that stats are probably the least important reason people pick their race, and that there are probably a lot of roleplayers that pick Human just because it's the most appropriate race for that stuff.

Those percentages are much closer to a 1:2 ratio than a 1:3 ratio. Being ~1:2 is actually better than I would have thought in terms of how close to balanced the gender numbers are.

Oh, I messed up on the ratio stuff, you're right. I'l have to correct that and the ones I just made.

Actually I think the ones I just made are right...that one was a bit of a blunder though. Thanks for pointing it out.

Stealthcmc1974
Feb 23, 2015, 03:09 PM
This one actually WAS meant to be unisex. The submitted artwork for it specifically noted that.

What?! Damn you SEGA! Damn you to hell! ;_;

SHiFT-Di3S3L
Feb 23, 2015, 03:21 PM
Yeah, picked my race/gender due to stat research when I decided to reroll my ship 2 character. First time I did it, I just wanted to look like a Gundam, then lost interest after realizing it took a lot of time before I could make myself look that good. I also prefer playing with ranged weapons. The only time I would even consider a melee play style would be if the role had fast attack speed, nice melee range, and a wide aoe cone up front. Jet blade bouncers aren't bad, but I didn't want to go melee this time, and decided to dedicate r-atk, and build up other roles[except force] later if I wanted.

Hence, F-cast RA.

Gardios
Feb 23, 2015, 03:22 PM
This one actually WAS meant to be unisex. The submitted artwork for it specifically noted that. I'm still waiting for a male preview for it.

Don't wait, it's not coming. It's been confirmed female-only.

Kelwine
Feb 23, 2015, 03:28 PM
There are a surprising amount of people that actually seem to care about the racial stats here, goodness.

I figured everyone just sort of ignored them because they're small and pretty inconsequential.

Personally, I just play what looks nice and I feel like playing.

Macman
Feb 23, 2015, 03:29 PM

I hate that this retarded argument still permeates through games to this day. Everyone knows by now that if you're too busy oggling your character, you aren't paying attention to the 3 Grandiigas spinning your way.

...Oh wait now I understand how some people can be so bad at the game. Fuck.

SHiFT-Di3S3L
Feb 23, 2015, 03:32 PM
I hate that this retarded argument still permeates through games to this day. Everyone knows by now that if you're too busy oggling your character, you aren't paying attention to the 3 Grandiigas spinning your way.

...Oh wait now I understand how some people can be so bad at the game. Fuck.

we busy starin at dat ass bruh!:D

Akaimizu
Feb 23, 2015, 03:37 PM
This looks just like the topic that was in the Rants forum. I do understand that in one way, it does aid the mythos of Phantasy Star. The history of initial heroic deeds by a female often makes society push more females into the roles of hunters or guardians.

But alas, the bias is so incredibly skewed that it definitely depromotes playing males as the only interesting visual options seem to be female-only. To a degree, this isn't the first game in the series to do that, so the setup has been going for a while now.

Still, if only Sega saw it like Square-Enix saw it. Like in FF14, how giving more varied options for males (looks ranging between burly or lithe) it gives males plenty of options with the females and thus the population ends up being way more balanced. To me, it seems that those who think it's all the player's choice fault and the company just follows suit, forgets that you have dozens of examples where the company provides the variety and thus the population goes where the variety is. Whether it is FF14, Tera, Guild Wars, etc.

I still think it's cool to see it kind of female balanced, due to the whole society of Alis thing; but it is kind of amazing the clothing balance there is. It reminds me of Target or Walmart. You want men's clothes? It's those few pair of things in that little corner over there. What? Not your size? Guess you guys gotta go naked!

The plus is, that playing a male main, in this game, I have had absolutely no incentive to buy anything. So there's really nothing tempting me.

Kiyumi
Feb 23, 2015, 04:08 PM
Oh look its this thread again. So many people full of hate for other people's decisions that do not affect them.

Its called economics. Did you pay attention in school? Something called supply and demand. Little Caesar's stacks a lot more pepperoni pizzas ready than veggie pizzas. Why? Because a lot more people buy it. It has nothing to do with "waifufags" or "pandering" or whatever other buzzwords you want to use, its basic common sense.

There are about 111 different hairstyles for guys while women have a whopping 228. Oh boohoo. 111 hairstyles not enough! I bet youre one of those people who has satellite tv (several hundred channels) and complains there's "nothing to watch".

[Edit] Talking about stat differences? For the most part, the differences are minimal so unless youre a min-maxer or an elitist it doesnt really matter. (or if you dont care about appearance) Sure there is some minor effect, but its so small that appearance preference takes priority.

Skize
Feb 23, 2015, 04:22 PM
Well, as far as I'm concerned, the meta now is Fire FO/TEs. Although I'm seeing more variety now with some Ice FO/TE or FO/FI. I even see some that are Wind FO/TE. (I, myself run pure Light or Dark FO/TE depending on the mood.) Some may not be as fast to clear as Fire FOs, but they're still okay.

As for me... Well, I made two females as well. One is my primary spellcaster, while the other character is a Ranger main class. (Although I just end up playing with my Force character because it's a hassle to redo everyone.) If I had a third slot, I'd probably make a male character. Although he wouldn't be "omfg, super buff handsome" but more of thin and uh... Flamboyant?

This isn't League of Legends. Meta doesn't really matter here... Yeah, I came back to find that Dark was nerfed, but it's still able to get the job done. That's all matters. Besides, I made an FO/TE only cause people wouldn't Zondeel during TDs. And they still don't LOL!

Macmaxi
Feb 23, 2015, 04:24 PM
I have one male cast and one female human. i enjoy customizing for both. I get basically almost everything (except for male non-cast costumes).

I'm a person who usually just plays one character, but i really don't feel unfairly treated just because male characters don't get the same treatment. In a sense, don't girls usually have more clothing than guys anyways? When did you suddendly care, last time i looked into my closet i only had 3 T-Shirts to choose from and that's enough for me.

I'm not being entirely serious here, but it's how i feel about this thing.

Selphea
Feb 23, 2015, 04:29 PM
Should be noted too that a lot of those 228 hairstyles are copy-paste with twintails or ponytails added on.

But what if I'm actually a bird :(

[spoiler-box]http://i.imgur.com/zmkznsm.jpg[/spoiler-box]

Go back to your stream!

[spoiler-box]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qdeW0fYiH0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qdeW0fYiH0[/spoiler-box]

Kilich
Feb 23, 2015, 04:54 PM
Personall, I think it fits well with the setting, if you take it per race.

Humans are about 50/50, close to that with casts and dewmen. Newmen on the other hand are nearly extinct with their 3% to 20%, I think, of newearls.

Genetic engineering, from the dawn of the newmen race, that ensured that more useful, in combat, newearls are more common, or newmen being space hipsters?

Macman
Feb 23, 2015, 05:30 PM
Yeah, I came back to find that Dark was nerfed, but it's still able to get the job done.
Ilmegid was nerfed, everything else seems to be more than usable still. Hell you can shred things up fast if you're able to get a solid Gimegid off.

Terrence
Feb 23, 2015, 05:48 PM
And that is the fact that it's so freakin' focused on female characters. Seriously though, it seems like 95% of the games characters (not players) are female.
Hey, what did you expect ? :-? This doesn't surprise me since most JP (and US) players are male perverts who love playing as naked sluts with big boobs while giving a reach around (which does not mean all people playing as female characters are lechers, do not misunderstand me). Devs only give us what we ask for. We cannot blame them for that even though I'm the first one to be dissappointed in this. << PENIS RULE >>

milranduil
Feb 23, 2015, 05:51 PM
This isn't League of Legends. Meta doesn't really matter here... Yeah, I came back to find that Dark was nerfed, but it's still able to get the job done. That's all matters. Besides, I made an FO/TE only cause people wouldn't Zondeel during TDs. And they still don't LOL!

[spoiler-box]
http://www.gifbin.com/bin/092009/1253886001_office-no.gif
[/spoiler-box]

infiniteeverlasting
Feb 23, 2015, 05:53 PM
It's an anime styled game, so they know that their player base lives in their mom's basement, girlfriendless. |:D

LonelyGaruga
Feb 23, 2015, 05:55 PM
Sure there is some minor effect, but its so small that appearance preference takes priority.

If you have a preference.

I don't think you understand. Fire is more effective. That's the point.

Hey, what did you expect ? :-? This doesn't surprise me since most JP (and US) players are male perverts who love playing as naked sluts with big boobs while giving a reach around (which does not mean all people playing as female characters are lechers, do not misunderstand me). Devs only give us what we ask for. We cannot blame them for that even though I'm the first one to be dissappointed in this. << PENIS RULE >>

Do you have to word your posts in the most offensive way possible? I swear, every single post you make is raging about sluts and how awful people are. It's pathetic. And you're the first one disappointed? What? Like hell. You're constantly defending Sega's design decisions and snapping at people that criticize them. Don't pretend you're sensible. You're no morally superior than most here, if anything less so. Honestly, you should seriously stop posting if you're just going to continue behaving in such an immature fashion.

infiniteeverlasting
Feb 23, 2015, 05:59 PM
Do you have to word your posts in the most offensive way possible? I swear, every single post you make is raging about sluts and how awful people are. It's pathetic. And you're the first one disappointed? What? Like hell. You're constantly defending Sega's design decisions and snapping at people that criticize them. Don't pretend you're sensible. You're no morally superior than most here, if anything less so. Honestly, you should seriously stop posting if you're just going to continue behaving in such an immature fashion.

God, do you have to italicize your words every few seconds? You're trying so hard you're going to break the bbcode on this site.

Just leave him alone, he has his own opinions, and he already said he didn't mean to be offensive to anyone. So calm down.

GoldenFalcon
Feb 23, 2015, 06:33 PM
I generally only play male characters, and the quote below details why I don't have an issue with it

Everyone knows by now that if you're too busy oggling your character, you aren't paying attention to the 3 Grandiigas spinning your way.

I buy fashion but I never end up focusing on it during combat. I'm practically incapable.

mctastee
Feb 23, 2015, 06:35 PM
Who wouldn't wanna role an anime Sean Connery?

LonelyGaruga
Feb 23, 2015, 06:37 PM
God, do you have to italicize your words every few seconds? You're trying so hard you're going to break the bbcode on this site.

Just leave him alone, he has his own opinions, and he already said he didn't mean to be offensive to anyone. So calm down.

Er, no, he didn't say anything like that. He just said not all people playing female characters are perverts. That isn't close to saying he didn't mean to be offensive, he clearly did. He said most, but not all, people playing female characters are perverts that obsess over large chests and unclothed females. Which is a completely offensive thing to say. That is an unapologetically offensive thing to say, and if you pay attention to his posts you'll notice he's always deliberately offensive. In the last like five posts he's made he's usually slut-shaming people for various imagined offenses. Criticize Sega? Slut! Stack ATK? You're a useless slutty bitch who's gonna die every couple minutes in an UQ!

I'm not even mad, I'm pointing out that he makes an idiot of himself doing this and no one will take him seriously if he insists on this childishly forced effort, so he might as well stop posting. This isn't about expression of opinions, this is about blatantly and childishly being as offensive as possible. If this were something that occasionally happened, I wouldn't say anything, but this describes 70-80% of the posts made. There really is no excuse for that kind of behavior, and I don't see why you're defending it.

The_Brimada
Feb 23, 2015, 06:47 PM
I'd play my male character more if they actually made outfits I liked for him.

infiniteeverlasting
Feb 23, 2015, 07:04 PM
I'm not even mad
No one's going to believe that after all you just raged about on this guy.

No need to type an essay to explain.

We'll just leave it at that. :-?

It's the internet, being offensive is part of being on the internet. Just don't be easily offended.

And why get all offended? It's not like that post is aimed towards you?

or is it.

AzureBlaze
Feb 23, 2015, 07:06 PM
I agree with lots of stuff here.
Both main chars are male Cast/Duman , bought a 3rd slot to bring back an old PSO char FOnewearl. (I didn't care stats/just want old char back) Sure duman clips like crazy thru most of his stuff, it's probably the nature of 'scalable outfits' that they won't scale to 100% of everybody. With graphics the way they are, its pick 1 or the other: fits great OR is scaleable.

Whoever mentioned "The Cycle of Failure" is right
Make only tacky goofy few male stuff = no one picks male = no one wants male = therefor we'll only make tacky goofy or few male stuff = no one will pick male = repeat forever

If you were just rolling in and assessing WHO had the most cool options, it's the ladies, for the aforementioned reasons. Cast even (male/female) has it rough if you don't like their specific design style, which as someone mentioned tends toward PRICKLY DOO DADS galore without sleek items such as PSO's HUcast or HUcaseal. They were ninjas/smoother looking people. I'm not bashing others' choices of characters, I'm commenting the stuff *I* can pick because I want to choose a male character and am dissatisfied with many of its options.

Solution:
KEEP ON bringing back stuff from PSO1 (heck those 9 outfits would be fantastic here) PSU, PSP etc, including the cast caseal parts & loads of heads. I was here (at psow) during those times too, and I didn't see nearly the level of "guys & cast are neglect!" postings about those games after pso1. (PSO1 you had no options but color you couldn't really complain much) The stuff's already designed! People liked it! Just jam it in -- it can only make more money.

Zany hair example:
I'm no fashion magnet either, and if I can name this many missing male styles (not that these are "well loved"...but they're out there but not in this game...and if you say 'well liked only don't be tacky!' remember they bothered to put in bald head with 1 curl, tomato hair and head goes inside the orange rind..........those are by no means cool or "ultra desirable")

A real buzz cut
A Guile Style Flat Top
PSO1 RAmar's Flat Top
"The Skrillex"
Shave undercut flopover emo top / long /med
*Akira hair is a flat top but it's subdued & also.......his specific hair

Both
Real dreads
Cornrow variety
Cornrow side/long top
Cloth head thing that's not the pirate bandanna

Copy paste ponytails isn't the right way to go either, branching out could be. There's just so much cool stuff out there and ALL of it is a way for them to make money.

Can you imagine if they catered guys better and raked in even more?
Put some thought into it, or bring back PSU PSP stuff make the audience say "well I want to buy/make/whatever a male character or a cast/caseal because this new gear is just that cool"

kuromechan
Feb 23, 2015, 07:12 PM
No one's going to believe that after all you just raged about on this guy.

No need to type an essay to explain.

We'll just leave it at that. :-?

It's the internet, being offensive is part of being on the internet. Just don't be easily offended.

or is it.

it's really easy don't respond to his post if you don't like it. he wants attention

The_Brimada
Feb 23, 2015, 07:22 PM
I agree with lots of stuff here.
Both main chars are male Cast/Duman , bought a 3rd slot to bring back an old PSO char FOnewearl. (I didn't care stats/just want old char back) Sure duman clips like crazy thru most of his stuff, it's probably the nature of 'scalable outfits' that they won't scale to 100% of everybody. With graphics the way they are, its pick 1 or the other: fits great OR is scaleable.

Make only tacky goofy few male stuff = no one picks male = no one wants male = therefor we'll only make tacky goofy or few male stuff = no one will pick male = repeat forever

If you were just rolling in and assessing WHO had the most cool options, it's the ladies, for the aforementioned reasons. Cast even (male/female) has it rough if you don't like their specific design style, which as someone mentioned tends toward PRICKLY DOO DADS galore without sleek items such as PSO's HUcast or HUcaseal. They were ninjas/smoother looking people. I'm not bashing others' choices of characters, I'm commenting the stuff *I* can pick because I want to choose a male character and am dissatisfied with many of its options.

Solution:
KEEP ON bringing back stuff from PSO1 (heck those 9 outfits would be fantastic here) PSU, PSP etc, including the cast caseal parts & loads of heads. I was here (at psow) during those times too, and I didn't see nearly the level of "guys & cast are neglect!" postings about those games after pso1. (PSO1 you had no options but color you couldn't really complain much) The stuff's already designed! People liked it! Just jam it in -- it can only make more money.

Zany hair example:
I'm no fashion magnet either, and if I can name this many missing male styles (not that these are "well loved"...but they're out there but not in this game...and if you say 'well liked only don't be tacky!' remember they bothered to put in bald head with 1 curl, tomato hair and head goes inside the orange rind..........those are by no means cool or "ultra desirable")

A real buzz cut
A Guile Style Flat Top
PSO1 RAmar's Flat Top
"The Skrillex"
Shave undercut flopover emo top / long /med
*Akira hair is a flat top but it's subdued & also.......his specific hair

Both
Real dreads
Cornrow variety
Cornrow side/long top
Cloth head thing that's not the pirate bandanna

Copy paste ponytails isn't the right way to go either, branching out could be. There's just so much cool stuff out there and ALL of it is a way for them to make money.

Can you imagine if they catered guys better and raked in even more?
Put some thought into it, or bring back PSU PSP stuff make the audience say "well I want to buy/make/whatever a male character or a cast/caseal because this new gear is just that cool"

Lol If I could have dreads on my male char I would play him more even if the costumes are still lacking.

LonelyGaruga
Feb 23, 2015, 07:26 PM

or is it.

It's not about being offended or not, it's about whether he wants to be perceived as an idiot or not. People are sometimes offensive on the internet, but it's usually unintentional. This, however, is intentionally being offensive, and constantly at that. If it's unintentional, then he's an idiot for being literally unable to word things politely. If it's intentional, then he's an idiot for wanting to be offensive all the time. I've known people that deliberately do that, but are actually pretty funny doing so. That's fine, if annoying at times. But that isn't the case here.

My point is, how a person talks and acts affects how other people perceive that person. If you act like a raging idiot, people will see you as a raging idiot and respond accordingly. Usually by ignoring that person or making fun of them. It's impossible to accomplish anything of value that way. Forums are for sharing information, among other things. Being ignored or perceived as a moron is extremely counterproductive to this goal, to say the least, which is why I'm commenting on it.

If the person is an attention whore or otherwise getting exactly what they want across by acting in this fashion, then there's really nothing that can be done but ignore it. Can't help people that won't help themselves.

infiniteeverlasting
Feb 23, 2015, 07:34 PM
It's not about being offended or not, it's about whether he wants to be perceived as an idiot or not.

LOL why should you care?

Ah man I just don't get it, if you're offended then just admit it. Because I've never seen someone so concerned over some stranger's public image.

Ifrian-x
Feb 23, 2015, 07:38 PM
To be honest this has been happening in every single ( or almost ) asian MMO and itīs anoying.
I used to play Tera and all the stuff was for the loli girl race, incluidng an exclusive class.

It sucks because i love the style, costumes and art of asian MMOs but since i like to play as a male to identify myself with the character, i always end up paying the same to get 20% of the content.

Selphea
Feb 23, 2015, 07:39 PM
LOL why should you care?

Ah man I just don't get it, if you're offended then just admit it. Because I've never seen someone so concerned over some stranger's public image.

It's actually quite important because it reflects on PSOW's image as a whole. In other parts of the internet, PSOW is seen as a bunch of raging no-lifers. That's hardly the way to attract new players or make a convincing case that this game deserves to come to the West.

infiniteeverlasting
Feb 23, 2015, 07:40 PM
To be honest this has been happening in every single ( or almost ) asian MMO and itīs anoying.
I used to play Tera and all the stuff was for the loli girl race, incluidng an exclusive class.

It sucks because i love the style, costumes and art of asian MMOs but since i like to play as a male to identify myself with the character, i always end up paying the same to get 20% of the content.

LOL FUNNY THING IS I STOPPED PLAYING PSO2 FOR A WHILE TO HOP ON TERA

And yea, Tera's male costume situation is probably way worse than pso2's,
It's like a 20:1 female to male ratio of costume/accessory releases. Quite Depressing, which is why I'm coming back :/

Stealthcmc1974
Feb 23, 2015, 07:40 PM
It's actually quite important because it reflects on PSOW's image as a whole. In other parts of the internet, PSOW is seen as a bunch of raging no-lifers. That's hardly the way to attract new players or make a convincing case that this game deserves to come to the West.

This.

infiniteeverlasting
Feb 23, 2015, 07:41 PM

I don't think anyone cares about what happens on these forums.

Just being honest here.

Chimeria
Feb 23, 2015, 07:48 PM
Oh look its this thread again. So many people full of hate for other people's decisions that do not affect them.

Oh boohoo. 111 hairstyles not enough! I bet youre one of those people who has satellite tv (several hundred channels) and complains there's "nothing to watch".

[Edit] Talking about stat differences? For the most part, the differences are minimal so unless youre a min-maxer or an elitist it doesnt really matter. (or if you dont care about appearance) Sure there is some minor effect, but its so small that appearance preference takes priority.

But see it does affect me...The quote above basically explains how I feel about the situation at hand. Lack of people playing males (like what's going on now) means lackluster or lack of new items for male characters. I'm not a dress-up kind of guy. I've been wearing the same outfit for months but after playing the game so much and getting kind of bored with it, you look for ways to make the game new for you. Switching accessories or costumes is a good way to do that for some people. Say you finally got that outfit and weapon you wanted, grinded it/extended it and basically did everything you wanted to do, afterwards you really don't have much need for meseta because you have nothing to spend it on. That's why this issue of imbalance in items and options between the genders irks me.

Even looking at the CAST selection is infuriating too because they've been pretty much abandoned as far as new parts go. And with what is available, there isn't much variety. I didn't know about the percentages though. Hopefully it eventually balances out so we can get some more designs for male outfits. I also didn't know that alot of people play for the stats. I didn't think they made much of a difference...

And sorry if this is a thread that's been done before. I'm not here in the forums all day so I'm not aware which ones have already been posted.

And yes, I do complain that there's nothing to watch so I don't much tv. lol. Why so snarky with your response?

Ifrian-x
Feb 23, 2015, 07:52 PM
The only thing i LOVE of the shortage of male characters is that i can buy almost all the costumes i like for my male character for the price a single Female decent costume costs.

Likewise, i can sell the Female costumes for a much bigger profit.

Noblewine
Feb 23, 2015, 07:53 PM
Sex sells that's how game design works. *Shrugs*

The same thing happened in PSU so your surprised why? Sorry to be a jerk; to be honest when I was playing PSU online I only wore three male outfits: Braves Jacket, Miyabi-kata (Male ver) and the HUmar Outfit often after Max Attack G.

Chimeria
Feb 23, 2015, 07:58 PM
The only thing i LOVE of the shortage of male characters is that i can buy almost all the costumes i like for my male character for the price a single Female decent costume costs.

Likewise, i can sell the Female costumes for a much bigger profit.
This is true. The few outfits that I do have were dirt cheap when I got them. Some of the less popular female ones are pretty cheap too. It's the dances and emotes that you get the most from. They love those emotes...

Sex sells that's how game design works. *Shrugs*

The same thing happened in PSU so your surprised why?
I didn't play PSU (online) much so I wouldn't know that...hence why I am surprised.

Xaeris
Feb 23, 2015, 08:00 PM
I don't think there's anything wrong with their release schedule on cast parts. This latest scratch had cast parts (shitty cast parts, but it's the effort that counts), and the scratch before the last also had cast parts. There are considerably fewer parts released compared to clothes, but that only makes sense since parts are only usable by one of the game's four races.

Gardios
Feb 23, 2015, 08:06 PM

It's like a 20:1 female to male ratio of costume/accessory releases. Quite Depressing, which is why I'm coming back :/

It's not that bad at all, what are you talking about? Male:Female costume release ratio is around 1:2 if you ignore the recolours, 1:3 if you compare the male releases with Elin. It's pretty much the same as PSO2.

infiniteeverlasting
Feb 23, 2015, 08:13 PM
It's not that bad at all, what are you talking about? Male:Female costume release ratio is around 1:2 if you ignore the recolours, 1:3 if you compare the male releases with Elin. It's pretty much the same as PSO2.

uhhh...
no, go look at eme's cash shop and look at the number of female costumes to male costumes right now.

It's such a problem that half the threads on the tera NA forums is about "So when are males going to get their next costume?"

Gardios
Feb 23, 2015, 08:16 PM
The last time I counted all available cash shop costumes in the game the result was ~20 male costumes and ~31 for female, ignoring recolours which widens the gap a bit.

So no, it's not as bad. As I said, the actual problem is how infrequently stuff is released, which makes it feel like a much bigger problem.

Noblewine
Feb 23, 2015, 08:17 PM
I didn't play PSU (online) much so I wouldn't know that...hence why I am surprised.

Best advice is to play whatever class/gender you want. Each class has it advantages. Plus I forgot to add the gender based weapons. Sadly, sex sells and that's why you see more outfits for females and less for males. I played as my own gender on PSU but I made a few female in PSP2. I was attempting to 100% the weapon catalog. =/
You should play PSO2 however and enjoy it for the content.

I keep hearing that people are getting bored due to logging in to do missions to just make money. I don't know the exact details since I am not playing PSO2.
But sega will probably find a way to add replay value to their own game. They usually do.

Ifrian-x
Feb 23, 2015, 08:17 PM
The problem is also that the male costumes tend to suck a lot and not even it all the races, which makes 20 be a much smaller number than it look like on paper.

That, and the infrequency of the releases that you mentioned.

Zorua
Feb 23, 2015, 08:20 PM

You came back for more dress up? I took a break to play TERA and came back because the combat was boring.

infiniteeverlasting
Feb 23, 2015, 08:23 PM
You came back for more dress up? I took a break to play TERA and came back because the combat was boring.

well combat too.

But i kinda feel like pso2 combat feels a bit repetitive and 1 dimensional with it's left and right clicking after I got a taste of Dragon Nest competitive PVP, SA breaks air juggles etc.

Zorua
Feb 23, 2015, 08:27 PM
well combat too.

But i kinda feel like pso2 combat feels a bit repetitive and 1 dimensional with it's left and right clicking after I got a taste of Dragon Nest competitive PVP, SA breaks air juggles etc.

I guess that is pretty true. I don't really mind it though, since I play 3 characters and usually end up having to solo.

infiniteeverlasting
Feb 23, 2015, 08:33 PM
I guess that is pretty true. I don't really mind it though, since I play 3 characters and usually end up having to solo.

because I'm on ship 7, I've soloed through the whole game without a cent spent :-?

But it still feels a bit 1 dimensional despite playing ever class up to level 60 to 75 with the exception of FO/te

When you first play a few classes it's really fun and addicting, but once you got teh order down, an dyou know the boss patterns... it's just... yea.

I don't even feel like leveling some of my classes past level 60 anymore because it feels like a huge chore at this point :/

Walkure
Feb 23, 2015, 08:33 PM

Likewise, i can sell the Female costumes for a much bigger profit.I deleted my male cast when I just perpetually wasn't happy with his looks/coloration, and sold the parts for like 15-20m on like 2-3 sets. That was actually significantly more than my newearl costums added up somehow, and I'm pretty sure it still is.

I have no clue how that even worked out.

It's actually quite important because it reflects on PSOW's image as a whole. In other parts of the internet, PSOW is seen as a bunch of raging no-lifers. That's hardly the way to attract new players or make a convincing case that this game deserves to come to the West.In my experience, it's actually very common that in gaming communities, that the regular message board (vBulletin or otherwise) tends to be less friendly. It probably comes down to a lot of little reasons, but more active/thriving communities tend to use other platforms as well for friendly and easy-to-join communities.

Noblewine
Feb 23, 2015, 08:34 PM
I like tera online for the combat and glyphs which makes the game fun or interesting in some ways. My only complaint with Tera is the community sucks and the GM's ignore a lot of issues involving end-game content that related to PVP (Player vs Player).

Kiyumi
Feb 23, 2015, 08:35 PM
well combat too.

I would still be playing Tera now if my computer's graphics card didnt crash :(

Only playing this because its not so graphics intensive. Tera has freaking amazing environments and landscapes and playing it on low settings (after playing on max before) is so depressing.

(also I had reached endgame and endgame consists of spamming daily dungeons)

And again Im off topic.

And a "moron" for good measure. Make your own judgements - and that goes to the person making the posts too about whether this is how they want to be seen:

[spoiler-box]http://i.imgur.com/isvtWtn.jpg[/spoiler-box]

What is Opera

BIG OLAF
Feb 23, 2015, 08:37 PM
I honestly think they're going to phase out the guys.

TELL YA WHAT NERD

Beat Cherise and Nassandra in arm-wrestling and they'll release all the puny men from the dungeon they're presently being hidden in.

...well, except the Newman men. See, they're no longer with us. A few managed to dodge the genocide, however. They're currently at-large.

infiniteeverlasting
Feb 23, 2015, 08:39 PM
I would still be playing Tera now if my computer's graphics card didnt crash :(

Only playing this because its not so graphics intensive. Tera has freaking amazing environments and landscapes and playing it on low settings (after playing on max before) is so depressing.

(also I had reached endgame and endgame consists of spamming daily dungeons)

And again Im off topic.

What is Opera

other than it's environment
Tera feels like a glorified grindfest. :/
It feels like a chore, esepcially with the lack of any cutscenes whatsoever.

I just reached level 58 in the game And I have no idea what the story is trully about right now.

Noblewine
Feb 23, 2015, 08:41 PM
other than it's environment
Tera feels like a glorified grindfest. :/
It feels like a chore, esepcially with the lack of any cutscenes whatsoever.

I just reached level 58 in the game And I have no idea what the story is trully about right now.

I think I read on the Tera forums that they abandoned the story after you've attainted max level or close to it. The story is about two sleeping gods that created the world your in and your fighting their nightmares. It feels similar to Links Awakening in a way. The game is a grindfest and I'm sad that the BAM's start to look alike after you reach a certain level. I actually liked the concept of fighting bosses in an overworld. The spider BAM in that one area is really cool and challenging.

infiniteeverlasting
Feb 23, 2015, 08:46 PM
I think I read on the Tera forums that they abandoned the story after you've attainted max level or close to it. The story is about two sleeping gods that created the world your in and your fighting their nightmares. It feels similar to Links Awakening in a way.

Sounds like Dragon nest/Xenoblade Chronicles/every single MMORPG too lazy to make an original story XXD

Gardios
Feb 23, 2015, 08:47 PM
The story is complete, although there is a loose end still.

Read the quest texts, guys. :(

kuromechan
Feb 23, 2015, 08:48 PM
wow this went off track real quick after one guy...

Noblewine
Feb 23, 2015, 08:51 PM
Sounds like Dragon nest/Xenoblade Chronicles/every single MMORPG too lazy to make an original story XXD

I'm sad to hear that. =/

infiniteeverlasting
Feb 23, 2015, 09:00 PM
The story is complete, although there is a loose end still.

Read the quest texts, guys. :(

story complete?

goddamn, then it's not even worth playing anymore =.="

Terrence
Feb 23, 2015, 09:03 PM
He already said he didn't mean to be offensive to anyone. So calm down.

Er, no, he didn't say anything like that. He just said not all people playing female characters are perverts.
Which only implies MANY BUT NOT ALL of them are. Do you feel concerned ?......... 8-)
We all know many players take better care of their slutty appearance than their equipment.
Be sure it saddens me like it saddens you. But if you're not blind/gone, you know it's true.

yoshiblue
Feb 23, 2015, 09:06 PM
I deleted my male cast when I just perpetually wasn't happy with his looks/coloration, and sold the parts for like 15-20m on like 2-3 sets. That was actually significantly more than my newearl costums added up somehow, and I'm pretty sure it still is.

Its the Gundam/Zoids/Macross/Insert robo anime here love.

Gardios
Feb 23, 2015, 09:07 PM
story complete?

goddamn, then it's not even worth playing anymore =.="

The original story arc as well as the Argon arc. The Arch Deva story was expanded upon recently and is not going to end anytime soon. We should probably stop talking about TERA though... :wacko:

Oh wait no, one thing I did enjoy from TERA, despite character creationg overall being more limited: BEARDS. We're only getting facial hair as part of collabs...

BIG OLAF
Feb 23, 2015, 09:14 PM
We all know many players take better care of their slutty appearance than their equipment.

Uh.

Fuckin'-A right.

Hysteria1987
Feb 23, 2015, 09:20 PM
Best advice is to play whatever class/gender you want. Each class has it advantages. Plus I forgot to add the gender based weapons. Sadly, sex sells and that's why you see more outfits for females and less for males. I played as my own gender on PSU but I made a few female in PSP2. I was attempting to 100% the weapon catalog. =/
You should play PSO2 however and enjoy it for the content.

I keep hearing that people are getting bored due to logging in to do missions to just make money. I don't know the exact details since I am not playing PSO2.
But sega will probably find a way to add replay value to their own game. They usually do.

I hope you're right :p that's pretty much why I'm bored with it at the moment, nothing really seems that interesting when you're not after money at the moment. So I started using my lower levelled characters, and I'm quite enjoying the difference in playability.

Speaking of male characters, though, they always stand out in a crowd to me, basically just because they're male. The demographics are funny, too- I find most male characters I run into belong to Western gamers, and to newer players.

I can't make heads or tails of what most characters look like in an MPA, and to be honest I don't like much of the outfits, which come off as impractical, over-cluttered or just plain silly... But I still think everyone should get themselves a giant RAcast :p

Selphea
Feb 23, 2015, 09:46 PM
In my experience, it's actually very common that in gaming communities, that the regular message board (vBulletin or otherwise) tends to be less friendly. It probably comes down to a lot of little reasons, but more active/thriving communities tend to use other platforms as well for friendly and easy-to-join communities.

PSOW is more like a TamrielFoundry than an ElderScrollsOnline.com and the former was a lot less toxic from what I remember - people actually shared useful information instead of complaining! Granted, complaints on the official forum were somewhat justifiable due to the terrible state of game at launch, but still.

Secret World is a niche game, slow official forums but a lot less rage too.

What is Opera

A browser. (http://www.opera.com)

Noblewine
Feb 23, 2015, 09:52 PM
I hope you're right :p that's pretty much why I'm bored with it at the moment, nothing really seems that interesting when you're not after money at the moment. So I started using my lower levelled characters, and I'm quite enjoying the difference in playability.

Speaking of male characters, though, they always stand out in a crowd to me, basically just because they're male. The demographics are funny, too- I find most male characters I run into belong to Western gamers, and to newer players.

I can't make heads or tails of what most characters look like in an MPA, and to be honest I don't like much of the outfits, which come off as impractical, over-cluttered or just plain silly... But I still think everyone should get themselves a giant RAcast :p

Sega usually does some neat things and the collaborating with some companies that own anime have added some things. PSO2 is basically like other installment in the Phantasy Star games where everything is available but locked within the games data. The stuff that's unlocked or eventually will be available will help but I'm afraid restricting people to ships upon registration and after making a character is a dumb decision causing limitation of finding/making friends.
Scrub question: what MPA. That's the TACO missions I see often on here.
I understand the problem with the outfits and wish SEGA would repeat what they did when designing the outfits in PSO/PSZ.

LonelyGaruga
Feb 23, 2015, 10:43 PM
Which only implies MANY BUT NOT ALL of them are. Do you feel concerned ?......... 8-)
Be sure it saddens me like it saddens you. But if you're not blind/gone, you know it's true.

If you bothered reading the thread you'd know exactly where I stand on this, but I guess playing for stats and playing for sex appeal aren't mutually exclusive. My female is dressed in Cathedral Cross. Complete with the hairstyle. Face and hands are the only body parts exposed. Scandalous, I know.

And no, I can't really say that, because most people I know and have met pay more attention to either being fashionable, their gear, or both. Not being as stripperific as possible. Gotta question what kind of people you're playing with to get an impression otherwise. Looking good is not synonymous with looking like a prostitute. Hell, the best players I know can afford both excellent equipment (certainly well beyond whatever you're using) and still manage to be fashionistas with plenty of meseta to spare. Talking hundreds of millions. Because they're good, they can make more of a profit, and because they make more of a profit, they can afford more stuff, including aesthetics.

Angelo
Feb 23, 2015, 10:45 PM
I always feel so out of place at the Black Nyack table. It's kind of funny though.

Plus it's also funny because it makes it look like in the far future life will return to some polygamous society like the days of Noah or some shit.

...maybe that's why we're called 'Ark's.

Walkure
Feb 23, 2015, 11:00 PM
PSOW is more like a TamrielFoundry than an ElderScrollsOnline.com and the former was a lot less toxic from what I remember - people actually shared useful information instead of complaining! Granted, complaints on the official forum were somewhat justifiable due to the terrible state of game at launch, but still.

Secret World is a niche game, slow official forums but a lot less rage too.I was actually basing the observation on third party message boards that had some popularity. Official forums are standard message boards, I'll admit, but they are usually host to TONS of complaints/criticism than useful information.

My comparison would roughly be between TamrielFoundry and other discussions on social media (like FB groups, subreddits like /r/ElderScrollsOnline, imageboards, ingame groups, etc). People in those groups generally tend to appreciate the informative threads, but not the community or general discussion sections. Regular message boards tend to have much richer information, but give a much colder reception to newer players, especially outside of a Q&A or newbie thread. This is a common trend on several different communities, which is why it's kind of interesting.

I see a similar dynamic on:
SmashBoards compared to /r/SmashBros
BlueGartr and either /r/FFXIV or /r/FFXI, depending on which MMO you talk about
DFOSource/Nexus isn't well-liked at all by those outside the subcommunity (though it's not/wasn't as informative as either of the two I listed above).
Monster Hunter doesn't really have that much of a third-party independent message board (I guess there's GFAQs?), but there are several helpful smaller communities.

Also, Opera has the best new tab page, and outside of a few minor quips (HTML5 sites not quite working on mobile, HTTP Switchboard being awkward compared to Noscript) I'd use it instead.

Shinamori
Feb 24, 2015, 04:44 AM
I have a male character. I pretty much stopped playing with him. To the point that I'm considering deleting him. =E

Z-0
Feb 24, 2015, 04:51 AM
Don't do that, keep him around for more skill tree reset passes (+tacos/xqco/dailies/extra ship char/bingos/whatever). No point deleting, at any rate.

yoshiblue
Feb 24, 2015, 06:02 AM
The original story arc as well as the Argon arc. The Arch Deva story was expanded upon recently and is not going to end anytime soon. We should probably stop talking about TERA though... :wacko:

Oh wait no, one thing I did enjoy from TERA, despite character creationg overall being more limited: BEARDS. We're only getting facial hair as part of collabs...

Save the Barakas. Show your Amani love.

Kiyumi
Feb 24, 2015, 06:08 AM
Save the Barakas. Show your Amani love.

Nobody likes those.

It was something like
50% lolis
20% Castanics
10% Humans
10% Elfs
8% Teemos (a little animal character in LoL everyone hates, I dont even remember the name of the animal race (Popos?) cuz I called them Teemos)
1% Barakas
1% Amans

Demon-
Feb 24, 2015, 07:10 AM
Few things to consider here:

This is a Japanese server with Japanese players (They love to play their waifu simulators and thats the crowd this game panders to.)
More female characters means more female related AC content (because lets face it, it would be stupid if they didnt. They are here to make money.)
Believe me if this was a US/EU/internationalwhatever server there would be dude bros everywhere.

I actually kinda like it this way because it makes my main character that more unique.

NoiseHERO
Feb 24, 2015, 07:44 AM
How do ya'll always pull it off <_>

RadiantLegend
Feb 24, 2015, 05:25 PM
I deleted my male cast when I just perpetually wasn't happy with his looks/coloration, and sold the parts for like 15-20m on like 2-3 sets. That was actually significantly more than my newearl costums added up somehow, and I'm pretty sure it still is.

The older the cast parts the more expensive they are. Magius arms, everything melder, everything angriff and some others are nonexistent or very few left in shops.

I wish I bought a ton back in the day.

Endler
Feb 24, 2015, 08:21 PM
I enjoy being able to buy new outfits the day they come out for 300-500k while the female equivalent sells for 10m+.

Male CAST heads are a little expensive, but they are consumable items and probably more rare than other AC items, so I don't mind picking one up every now and again.

I almost feel sorry for the real girls who play who have to pay absurd amounts of money just because all the perverts want to play dress up with their waifus. Almost. But I am a CAST and we care little for the plight of fleshbags. CAST SUPREMACY!

Gama
Feb 24, 2015, 08:31 PM
The male population is smaller, yes, but why is that?

Some people want to stare at the female body while they play, thats fine.

Other people prefer having a female character because they have more style options, thats fine.

Other people prefer "being" an online girl, thats fine.

Other people just want a waifu, thats fine too.

personally my characters need to reflect me as a person in some way, so i usually have male characters, i have a female ranger, but i never play as her.

i love tomb raider games tho. but in a online game i need to be a male, feels weird being a female.

also males are fewer in numbers. but we dam fine.

https://scontent-mad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10993948_10203008256562131_2455844543306242251_n.j pg?oh=91f1233f5804424f4549d18c815f8fe0&oe=5548EE39

Terrence
Feb 24, 2015, 08:34 PM
I almost feel sorry for the real girls who play who have to pay absurd amounts of money just because all the perverts want to play dress up with their waifus.
(°□°) How dare you saying such a bad word ??? Politeness Police will grab you and you'll be horribly mutilated !!! (That being said, I totally agree with you...)

milranduil
Feb 24, 2015, 08:38 PM
Other people prefer having a female character because they have more style options, thats fine.

Female style options >>>>>>>>>>>> male style options (not that I spend much on accessories, cuz I'm a p00r scrub :()

yoshiblue
Feb 24, 2015, 08:49 PM
Nobody likes those.

I know. I've been in the wars. I was there.

Noblewine
Feb 24, 2015, 08:54 PM
Calling people perverts sounds more like a compliment. Honestly, who cares what gender you pick, why should it matter. The only time I can recall someone being a guy that was playing a female was a bad thing is when they use their gender just to leech off of people.

Kazzi
Feb 24, 2015, 08:57 PM
Excuse me while I put on my sunglasses for being a female playing a male newman of all things. j/k j/k there's tons of fujoshi who do the same thing. Besides I like having a harem around me at the black nyack table!

My friends list is 60/40 female/male. I think only 2 of them are male playing male, the rest are female playing male (since I first met them outside of PSO2). I think most of them play males because everything is cheaper to buy in terms of costumes which means more money for gear. Female characters tend to be better for min-maxing the stats which is why half the guys I know play female instead, or well they say that but I know they secretly want waifus because I've known them for years.

Keilyn
Feb 24, 2015, 09:34 PM
Majority of the playerbase in online games is MALE.

A lot of males play as females (hence the term Wife Simulator), and PSO-2 is no exception. All the people in my friendlist, I can count on my left-hand fingers the amount of people who are female in real life.

However, its not that SEGA is abandoning males. They aren't thinking about "Gender" as much as they are thinking about milking the public for what its worth..

Here is how it works:

1) Make Free Players Jealous by offering things in scratch they cant get...
2) Make Premium Players Scratch since we know they have money to pay for stuff.
3) Hype everything up and run it all on a two-week schedule to match typical payroll on bimonthly jobs for the Japanese Salary Man.
4) Continue to attack foreigners and remind them that they aren't Japanese and they will never be Japanese, while Foreigners suck it up and give them more money for being the victim of racism, discrimination, and derogatory stuff.
5) Tell your population that they will get everything by promising to make all future products with PC Money on Android and Vita in Japan Space to ensure as many Japanese get it while as few foreigners will get it.
6) Profit.....

Jump 5 - 10 years later....

7) Hype the public about a new phantasy star game
8) Have all the stuff reach Kotaku, PSO-W and other sites that love to continuously provide communities for games not in western release schedules.
9) Do one final scratch bidding everyone farewell..
10) Release your new game by closing down all servers...All your spent money is gone as well as characters all down the drain....but it was the journey that counted. :)

11) Look at yourself 5 - 10 years older, not made anything of yourself, lacking degrees or advancement or even development in your personal life...and be happy as you are ready to do it all over again.

12) Repeat to once again find Anti Foreigner Problems and Save Guards......will be no trouble for the small translation group who will breach the Japanese Safeguards proving that Japanese could not hack their way out of a paper bag if they tried.

13) Enter the new game for the Non-Japanese Speaker and repeat from Step 1 :)

Bellion
Feb 24, 2015, 09:36 PM
Why are females slightly more powerful than males in terms of ranged stats?????
Male are stronger with physical weaponry, sure.
Females are better with their mental techs, sure.
I demand equality for like, shooting with my guns, man wtf

milranduil
Feb 24, 2015, 09:42 PM

Female dewman supremacy, get with the times o3o

Maninbluejumpsuit
Feb 24, 2015, 09:43 PM

Pretty sure it's because of that archaic standard that ideally, women should be protected from the frontlines has influenced their stat distribution ideas to favor anything that doesn't involve toe to toe fighting, as well as the usual differences in physical ability we all have seen a million times.

-A newearl katana braver

Xaeris
Feb 24, 2015, 09:56 PM
Hey, Sega's making progress with the times. At least the stat differences are largely negligible this time around. Not like PSU when playing newman melee was some kind of bad joke...or playing fleshie anything-not-a-techer, really. Let's never do SUVs again, kthx.

GoldenFalcon
Feb 24, 2015, 10:01 PM
Let's never do SUVs again, kthx.

I disagree.

Force and Techer got a super attack. I think Ranger/Gunner and Hunter/Fighter deserve one too.

Maninbluejumpsuit
Feb 24, 2015, 10:05 PM
I disagree.

Force and Techer got a super attack. I think Ranger

Not as long as they have WB :/

GoldenFalcon
Feb 24, 2015, 10:06 PM
Not as long as they have WB :/

You must really hate WB and Chain

Noblewine
Feb 24, 2015, 10:07 PM
Stats really not important to me. You have MAG's in PSO2. That should be enough. =/
Mags are reliable unlike PM's (partner machines). <.<

Nitro Vordex
Feb 24, 2015, 11:09 PM
I made a bet to myself at the end of the first page that the last page was still going to be bickering about stats/skills.

Damn I'm good.

Xaeris
Feb 24, 2015, 11:12 PM
Please, this is psow. That's like throwing a dart at a globe and betting you'll hit a body of water.

otakun
Feb 24, 2015, 11:14 PM
Well, I guess I hang around every male avatar on the server since half my friend list are male characters. The only reason I main a female is just I happened to prefer the class I picked for it over my male alt. I'm in the minority of preferring the male costume WAY over the female choices and most of my female choices in clothes are ones similar to male ones.

This isn't something only related to PSO2, a lot of MMOs have people who prefer to play as females. I have a male friend who will only play females and up till my main on PSO2 I have never high leveled a female character in an MMO. Donno why people have an issue with it but I know for fact that there are still male characters around and plenty enough to take up half my friends list.

LonelyGaruga
Feb 24, 2015, 11:28 PM
Pretty sure it's because of that archaic standard that ideally, women should be protected from the frontlines has influenced their stat distribution ideas to favor anything that doesn't involve toe to toe fighting, as well as the usual differences in physical ability we all have seen a million times.

-A newearl katana braver

Yeah but like, seriously, how do women have a genetic disposition to be better at using guns than men? Specifically, female casts vs male casts and female dewmans vs male dewmans (the other races don't have differences in R-ATK between genders). These are races that are statistically inclined toward melee combat (highest S-ATK scores, highest HP for casts), so the stereotypes aren't in play here.

I disagree.

Force and Techer got a super attack. I think Ranger/Gunner and Hunter/Fighter deserve one too.

That was about racial differences. Zandeon is an entirely different topic.

Xaeris
Feb 24, 2015, 11:40 PM
Personally, I've always imagined the stats in PSO represent, at least in part, a person's ability to manipulate photons rather than raw physical capability for that stat. So in the case of S-Atk, that doesn't represent just physical strength, but the ability to wield whatever kind of photon gimmicks are involved in performing melee combat, which are categorically different from the photon gimmicks involved in performing ranged or teching combat. So thinking of it like that, I don't have a problem with one race or gender having greater aptitude towards using guns.

Mind you, this is my personal framework with little established game information backing it up, but it's either this, or believing that the 4'10 dewman loli can beat a 6'2 newman meat monster in an arm wrestle.

Maninbluejumpsuit
Feb 24, 2015, 11:54 PM
You must really hate WB and Chain

Just WB. Its power is without compare. Games would have to be built around the existence of a single element that strong, or seriously nerf it.

yoshiblue
Feb 24, 2015, 11:58 PM
When a Ranger can live life without being bashed for not having WB, then everything might be a little better. Just the teeny bit.

Maninbluejumpsuit
Feb 25, 2015, 12:47 AM
Yeah but like, seriously, how do women have a genetic disposition to be better at using guns than men? Specifically, female casts vs male casts and female dewmans vs male dewmans (the other races don't have differences in R-ATK between genders). These are races that are statistically inclined toward melee combat (highest S-ATK scores, highest HP for casts), so the stereotypes aren't in play here.

I didn't really mean to involve genetic dispositions with the first statements. I meant it more of a second potential influence as to why the designers opted to make stats like that.

Not so much as to why women are better with guns specifically. Like I said before, they probably just threw the idea out there like... 'women shouldn't be fighting in heavy armor and weapons in melee. Let's make their stats favor everything that doesn't involve that'.

oratank
Feb 25, 2015, 01:39 AM
maybe you like s-atk base on muscle slidebar in character create

Maninbluejumpsuit
Feb 25, 2015, 02:10 AM
maybe you like s-atk base on muscle slidebar in character create
[SPOILER-BOX]
http://static.zerochan.net/Oogami.Sakura.full.1521061.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]
We'd have alot of beefy lolis

kuromechan
Feb 25, 2015, 02:35 AM
[SPOILER-BOX]
http://static.zerochan.net/Oogami.Sakura.full.1521061.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]
We'd have alot of beefy lolis

>.>
I'd skip every eq if I ever saw that

Skyly HUmar
Feb 25, 2015, 03:03 AM
This has been the norm for a while. Sega started catering towards female characters shortly after open beta ended. There is one good thing that came out of it for the dudes though; Men's clothing usually costs 1/100-1/1,000th of what female outfits cost in player shops (at least that's how it was at the time when I quit).

mctastee
Feb 25, 2015, 03:11 AM
This has been the norm for a while. Sega started catering towards female characters shortly after open beta ended. There is one good thing that came out of it for the dudes though; Men's clothing usually costs 1/100-1/1,000th of what female outfits cost in player shops (at least that's how it was at the time when I quit).

It's still like that, except for the actual good outfits males have.

Skyly HUmar
Feb 25, 2015, 03:14 AM
It's still like that, except for the actual good outfits males have.

there are actual good male outfits now? lol which?

Dammy
Feb 25, 2015, 04:35 AM
i had few female characters back in the beta, but now i play only males
its not easy to make a male look like a man and not like a pussy tho

oratank
Feb 25, 2015, 04:37 AM
that's why we have cast in option

Hrith
Feb 25, 2015, 05:33 AM
Games would have to be built around the existence of a single element that strong, or seriously nerf it.PSO2 already is, in a way. If you play Mining Base Defence: Despair, Paragon of Deceit or Descent of the Destroyer without a ranger, the difference is immense.

Anyway, my male dewman makes up for the lack of manliness on PSO2:
[SPOILER-BOX]http://i.imgur.com/IEql5yl.png[/SPOILER-BOX]

milranduil
Feb 25, 2015, 06:19 AM
PSO2 already is, in a way. If you play Mining Base Defence: Despair, Paragon of Deceit or Descent of the Destroyer without a ranger, the difference is immense.

Anyway, my male dewman makes up for the lack of manliness on PSO2:
[SPOILER-BOX]http://i.imgur.com/IEql5yl.png[/SPOILER-BOX]

You wish you were fabulous enough...

http://www.mmcafe.com/nico.html#http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm25628067 (can't embed nico . -.)

Maninbluejumpsuit
Feb 25, 2015, 10:56 AM
PSO2 already is, in a way. If you play Mining Base Defence: Despair, Paragon of Deceit or Descent of the Destroyer without a ranger, the difference is immense.

My point exactly. I was hoping they'd overhaul WB and enemy HP so a single RA doesn't have the power to influence MPA kill speed by making things drop up to 2.5 times as fast before they scaled more enemies like they did SH loser, but that ship has sailed, and I'm not surprised in the least.

TaigaUC
Feb 25, 2015, 11:23 AM
Females get more fashion options in real life as well. It's not just PSO2.

I've been pretty pleased with the Cast imitation outfits for guys. Coupled with the recent Cast-ish accessories.
But there are still very simple outfits I'd like for both male and female that PSO2 simply does not have.
Or there are similar versions of what I want... but not quite the same. Or have absolutely terrible colors that we cannot change.
Everyone I've talked to agrees that PSO2 has a habit of ruining everything in some way.

PSO2 would be so much better if they separated costume parts. Combination variety would be amazing.
There'd be less female outfits in total because many existing costumes share the same parts.
But then people wouldn't have to keep wasting real money on hideous new preset colors. SEGA doesn't want that to happen.

Accessory system is pretty awesome, though.
Just wish we could scale, mirror and rotate as well.
Would be nice to be able to scale and mirror hair, too.
Costumes shouldn't include stuff that falls under the "body paint/underwear" category, either.
And we ought to be able to combine at least 2 types of body paint (ie. socks+gloves).

Akaimizu
Feb 25, 2015, 01:11 PM
Females get more fashion options in real life as well. It's not just PSO2.

PSO2 would be so much better if they separated costume parts. Combination variety would be amazing.

And that's actually a solution which would instantly help Males get more variety in their clothing choice. Just like in RL. Sure males are more limited in RL, but the ability to combine different tops/bottoms and clothing-layering is the RL solution. Would work just as much, in the game.

Even Disney's Magical World 3DS, easily trumps the PSO2 male selection in variety and cool factor. (Feels odd that it's true enough that I can actually say that.)

Vatallus
Feb 25, 2015, 01:16 PM
What, but if we had more male characters than the males wouldn't have so many harlems!

Wait what