PDA

View Full Version : [PSA] for those seeking my Follow

Palle
Feb 27, 2015, 03:50 AM
It seems that, to an increasing extent, there is confusion and misinformation being spread amidst the streaming community about my follows and how they came to be granted. Indeed, I have been approached a great many times by people from all walks of life about whom I chose to follow and why.

"M'lord, prithee tell me... how can I stream to better gain your blessing?"

Disagreement within the various schools of speculation regarding the means to gain my follows has led to an increasing number of public displays of acrimony between both viewers and streamers alike, such that I feel it is in the best interest of the streaming community to establish an open and definitive set of guidelines: the calculus by which my follows are determined.

It is my hope that this communication will help to dispel the dread of ignorance and foster a new atmosphere of harmony among all participants in the public exchange of live gameplay video.

First, and easiest, among these points is to simply refrain from streaming MOBAs and FPSs, ever. It is well-documented that these are the pinnacle of abusive and indecent gaming communities, and these types of games are an automatic disqualifier from receiving a follow from me.

Next, do not waste or pollute precious on-screen real estate with extraneous and confusing graphical information. The stream title appears on the stream webpage, and should also be included in the info panels: it does not need to block the game. The stream chat should not block the game, because the chat is already right next to the game. Your most recent subscribers and donations are your business and not those of the viewers who have connected to your channel to view a game stream.

The above is excepted to those playing 4:3 retro titles such as speed runs, as there is less of a premium on space and the information provided is actually useful content. Yes! I do follow speed runners on occasion!

Related to the second point is the unnecessary inclusion of a video feed depicting the broadcaster. Not only does this attempt to shift interest from the game being streamed to the person playing it, but it obscures the action on screen and is distracting. A classy and tasteful streamer keeps the focus on the play.

Finally, a key part of the gaming experience are soundtracks and voiceovers, and they are critical to the feeling of immersion that captivates a viewer. Loud, grating, and extraneous music piped in over the game is a surefire way to kill my interest in anything going on in the channel, since I connected to experience gameplay.

So there you have it, a brief and preliminary overview of some of the easiest hurdles to clear in your quest to gain my Follow. Simply adhere to these straightforward guidelines and you are well on your way to achieving an exclusive marque of distinction!