PDA

View Full Version : JP PSO2 Copying Patch Files to new HDD (SSD)

milranduil
Feb 28, 2015, 05:25 PM
I'm about to install PSO2 on a new SSD since my current HDD is 8 years and about to start smoking :wacko: I was curious if people know whether or not using something like this (http://www.maximumpc.com/how_clone_hard_drive_or_ssd_2014) would be able to easily move the patch folders from the old to the new drive (HDD is still working, but is starting to intermittently make the dreaded "clicking" noise). I'd prefer to not re-download 24.5GB of patch files if possible!

disclaimer: I know this thread probably doesn't belong here. Rather get a few replies before it gets moved where no one will ever respond.

Misaki Ki
Feb 28, 2015, 05:37 PM
If you don't need to mirror the entire HDD, you can just copy and paste the entire PSO2 folder into the SSD.

milranduil
Feb 28, 2015, 09:38 PM
Turns out I'm patching much faster than I thought I would (helps that my ISP isn't blocked atm, so don't need to use AWS for this).

schnee4
Feb 28, 2015, 10:29 PM
PSO2 SSD fact
[x] faster patch
[ ] faster game
[x] faster lobby load
[ ] faster stage load
[ ] faster TA

wwww, maybe asked other ppl before buy :)
can just copy PSO2 folder hdd > sdd (common sense :-?)

toomanynumber Lv 75/75/75/75/75/75/75/75/75/75/75 GU/HU/GU/HU/GU/HU FBeast

milranduil
Feb 28, 2015, 10:41 PM
Oh so I should keep running PSO2 on my 8 year old HDD that is crapping out? Thanks I'll keep that in mind :wacko:

NexusAZ
Feb 28, 2015, 10:43 PM
PSO2 SSD fact
[x] faster patch
[ ] faster game
[x] faster lobby load
[ ] faster stage load
[ ] faster TA

wwww, maybe asked other ppl before buy :)
can just copy PSO2 folder hdd > sdd (common sense :-?)

toomanynumber Lv 75/75/75/75/75/75/75/75/75/75/75 GU/HU/GU/HU/GU/HU FBeast

At what point was it said it was only for PSO2? Besides, if it improves what it can, I dont see the issue with getting it. Man, at least people like Sonata and HnS are kind of entertaining... I just feel disappointed reading your post...

NexusAZ
Feb 28, 2015, 11:01 PM
schnee4=HnS

I dunno. Many of their post that I've read go above and beyond HnS-stupid... or maybe this is their account for those kind of post. I don't know if I want to acknowledge that they're HnS because HnS is my waifu and I don't want my waifu to be THAT stupid.

TaigaUC
Feb 28, 2015, 11:30 PM
I sometimes use TeraCopy for copying/moving lots of files.

TaigaUC
Mar 1, 2015, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by Chdata View Post
I am currently 3 years old and I want to become a walrus. On December 14th, I’m moving to the Arctic; home of the greatest walruses. I’ve already cut off my arms, and now slide on my stomach everywhere I go as training.

I remember that. That was great.

Squal_FFVIII
Mar 3, 2015, 04:33 AM
You can just copy them over. PSO2 will make all the necessary stuff when it launches.

A SDD will improve patching time, load time, and all around performance because the game constantly reads from the hard drive.

If you're using the Tweaker, you've never needed a proxy for it.

SSD doesn't improve PSO2's in game performance. Meaning your load times while in game (for example in TA runs) wont improve much at all. I have a samsung 840 250gig evo and 2 crucial MX200's a 250gig and a 500gig (for steam games) i've tested pso2 load time performance (in game not patching or anything outside the game itself) and there's like maybe? 1 second faster of load times compared to my WD Black caviar 1TB HDD?

You know what improves load times? High FPS a good cpu and gpu =P

milranduil
Mar 3, 2015, 04:41 AM
You can just copy them over. PSO2 will make all the necessary stuff when it launches.

A SDD will improve patching time, load time, and all around performance because the game constantly reads from the hard drive.

If you're using the Tweaker, you've never needed a proxy for it.
I don't use Tweaker. I ended up just copying over the /data folder and saved myself 3 hrs of patching shortly after my second post.

Technically you just contradicted yourself. Saying it doesn't improve performance, then mentioning a slightly faster load time... I'm aware other things impact the rest of the game's performance more, but that isn't really an affordable option for me at the moment. Didn't have much choice but to buy a new hard drive considering my last one was definitely doneso.

Squal_FFVIII
Mar 3, 2015, 04:51 AM
My comment wasn't made to discourage you from getting an SSD (putting pso2 on the ssd). As a matter of fact GET AN SSD! and yes you are 100% correct that I contradicted myself. I was simply giving the benefit of the doubt to the ssd since ssd's by default beat hdd's by a lot.

Since I didn't use any real software to "trully" benchmark the ssd's vs hdd in pso2 load times that's why I given it the benefit of the doubt. But honestly from what my own two eyes saw there's really no "true" gain from moving pso2 on a ssd that a normal user will notice.