PDA

View Full Version : Specifically, how do Newmans and Deuman's genetically differ from each other?

illegaleagle90
Mar 18, 2015, 07:07 PM
I'm curious, actually.

Is there an in-lore explanation given to what they are generally capable of versus their human counterparts and how deumans and newmans differ from each other as well aside from obvious physiological traits?

I'd love to know, if there are any lore-hounds out there who have info, that would be amazing to know.

Scale of Judgment
Mar 18, 2015, 07:11 PM
Newmans have been genetically engineered to be more technic users among other races. Though you can also allude to the original storyline of the tetralogy where a cat from the first installment was repeatedly replaced by a human with ears and uses claws for the durations of the series.
A cat is fine too...

Dewman is human mixing with dragons.

CocoCrispy
Mar 18, 2015, 07:14 PM
Newmans are (or were) artificially created humans. They were made specifically to have the enhanced ability to manipulate photons which made them great casters. Nei was the first newman made with biomonster dna. Although it's not canon, the developers put some artwork of Chaz and Rika having a possible child which shows that they could theoretically reproduce with people decently.

By PSO, newmans were still test tube babies but they had a crazy unstable lifespan. One random npc newman even went so far to say that they didn't even know how long they would be able to live.

Dunno much about PSO2's lore, but I'm assuming by now that they're probably reproducing outside of labs by now.

Dewmans are infected humans with d-cells in their system. If they don't turn into dark falz spawn, they become this instead. I haven't played enough of the portable games to know much beyond that though... but I know that they have some crazy power in one of their eyes.

Stealthcmc1974
Mar 18, 2015, 07:15 PM
I'll start with PSU/Phantasy Star Portable since that's when Deumans came into the picture.

Essentially, Newmans were designed to be a mentally superior version of Humans that eventually became its own self-sufficient species. So they were artificially created life forms. Deumans were Humans that were infected with the SEED virus but survived. The virus altered parts of their genetic code, giving them higher photon sensitivity, a photon sensitive eye that was a different color, and pale skin (although you could still design Deumans with Fair complexions in the game).

As far as PSO2 goes, its largely the same lore for Newmans but as far as Deumans go, they came about from Dragonkin/Human experiments ARKS was performing. They retained the pale skin, different eye, and photon sensitivity, but also had horns. They also don't have to cover their photon sensitive eye normally like Phantasy Star Portable Infinity 2 Deumans had to.

EDIT: I'll add in that the guy above me is right about Newmans in PSO, I just didn't feel like adding that part since Deumans weren't around in PSO (meaning PSO's D-Cells have nothing to do with making a Deuman). However, given how popular the species is, I wouldn't be surprised if SEGA ever retcons PSO in a remake and puts in Deumans as mutated humans thanks to D-Cell infection. Sadly, that is not the case.

CocoCrispy
Mar 18, 2015, 07:22 PM
EDIT: I'll add in that the guy above me is right about Newmans in PSO, I just didn't feel like adding that part since Deumans weren't around in PSO (meaning PSO's D-Cells have nothing to do with making a Deuman). However, given how popular the species is, I wouldn't be surprised if SEGA ever retcons PSO in a remake and puts in Deumans as mutated humans thanks to D-Cell infection. Sadly, that is not the case.

I kinda figured that's how Hyuga become a dewman tho unless I'm mistaken. He got infected when he was captured and placed in those pods in the HIVE.

Kondibon
Mar 18, 2015, 07:50 PM
Dewman is human mixing with dragons.

as far as Deumans go, they came about from Dragonkin/Human experiments ARKS was performing.
And Darkers. That was one of the most important parts. x:

landman
Mar 18, 2015, 08:02 PM
Every ARKS comes from an engineered race in oracle, even Humans, the Photoners lost their Photon affinity after fighting the Profound Darkness so they had to engineer the new population to continue fighting darkers, that's why ARKS can't get infected by the darkers. Dewman are just some splicing with darkers Luther did by changing history, Xion says so in the very first scene in Episode 2, Luther is researcher of time travel so he did a lot of experiments through time, in Vopal and in Oracle, and that's why Dewman appeared out of nowhere in Episode 2.

oratank
Mar 18, 2015, 08:30 PM
Every ARKS comes from an engineered race in oracle,

just only the very first generation the later generation have Normal birth like us

illegaleagle90
Mar 18, 2015, 09:38 PM
Every ARKS comes from an engineered race in oracle, even Humans, the Photoners lost their Photon affinity after fighting the Profound Darkness so they had to engineer the new population to continue fighting darkers, that's why ARKS can't get infected by the darkers. Dewman are just some splicing with darkers Luther did by changing history, Xion says so in the very first scene in Episode 2, Luther is researcher of time travel so he did a lot of experiments through time, in Vopal and in Oracle, and that's why Dewman appeared out of nowhere in Episode 2.

Hmmm ok thats an interesting explaination.

I know there isn't much from PSU that has to do with PSO2's current newmans deumans.

At any rate, I'll need to playthrough more of the story for more details

Stealthcmc1974
Mar 18, 2015, 10:10 PM
I kinda figured that's how Hyuga become a dewman tho unless I'm mistaken. He got infected when he was captured and placed in those pods in the HIVE.

That's SEED Virus infection, not D-Cells. D-Cells are a PSO thing.

CocoCrispy
Mar 19, 2015, 12:00 AM
That was a great post above. Very in depth! Some things tho.

In classic PS, their original purpose was to enhance the gene pool, so they were always meant to go forth and breed, specifically with humans, who had trouble surviving the harsh environment of Motabia. As far as I know, the compendium itself was never counted as non-canon-- but Fal/Rika having a child with Rudy/Chaz was counted as "just doodles" despite having a full paragraph of backstory. Anyway. They were made using biomonster DNA (so they're technically part animal as well), but I don't think it was mentioned exactly what they were supposed to be better at than the other races, since again, they were just supposed to be better.
I don't remember what their stats reflected, sadly. Their lifespan isn't mentioned, but the ones we see aren't even 10 years old and already seem to have matured bodies-- though they still act like young children.
Only four are documented to have been created: Nei First, Nei Second, NM-2011, and Fal (Rika in the localization). All female.

The developers even said that Rika and Chaz wasn't canon, so it's quite obviously not supposed to be taken as canon. Despite that, the fact that they even discussed the possibility probably means that if they did hook up a human/newman child would be possible.

My original post was worded awkwardly. First sentence I wanted to state a general fact of PSO's conception of newmans. Original, classic newmans were created for the sole purpose of science. Technically Nei and Neifirst were the same person. Their personalities just split apart and grew their own bodies. Of course it's weird though, because if you are able to beat Neifirst with Nei in the original, Nei will die anyway since she can't live without her sister. Neifirst on the other hand obviously can for some reason.

Newmans from the classic series grow quickly because of their animal dna. In the text adventures, I believe Nei was said to be around a year or 2 old when Rolf found and protected her. By that time she was already practically a fully grown woman.

They're able to breed with humans, as shown with Matha Grave's child, Viviana Graves. Matha was a human, and while her husband was never shown or spoken about in detail, Viviana shows prominently newman traits.

Except in the game it was never said that Matha gave birth the traditional way, nor does it provide a name for the father. By Episode 3, they were still test tube babies born into a harsh society. My own personal headcanon wants to believe that Vivianna was adopted. I believe the next quote is relevant.

All that said, I really hate unmarked assumptions. If it wasn't stated plainly as fact in any official material, please don't claim it as end-all fact.

Shots fired!

That's SEED Virus infection, not D-Cells. D-Cells are a PSO thing.

Ooo yeah, you're right. My bad! Still though, the Dark Falz spawn are able to mutate humans by infecting them with prolonged exposure. I have to say, I'm a bit surprised to hear about the humanXdragon thing for deumans though. That's definitely a thing.

Anduril
Mar 19, 2015, 12:32 AM
In PSO2.... I vaguely recall someone mentioning deumans coming into existence because of one of the player's actions during episode 1 to explain their sudden existence in episode 2, but I can't really wrap my head around that, nor can I find any such dialogue in the event chronicle, so I'd say to disregard it unless someone else can verify it.

On a non-Duman character, Luther's first appearance has the following line of dialogue when he is talking about pinpointing Xion's activity: "It seems there is a lot of movement. I didn't expect the appearance of a new type, the Dumans though." Given the context, and the fact that the line doesn't appear when playing a Duman character, my interpretation is that this implies that your actions with the Matterboards have caused the paradoxical existence of Dumans.
[spoiler-box]http://i.imgur.com/zfOkDtU.png[/spoiler-box]

CocoCrispy
Mar 19, 2015, 12:46 AM
Yeah I feel that they want to develop a lore, but it doesn't help that they just retcon it the very next moment that they establish something interesting. Maybe a distant ship from the Alisa 3's fleet found Ragol? Nope. Phantasy Star Zero happened. Among other things. It's utterly frustrating.

Let's not even get started with differences between English and Japanese classic Phantasy Star titles. They have different dialogue and names altogether! May as well write each region off as its own canon.

landman
Mar 19, 2015, 03:58 AM
In PSU newman, beasts and CASTs are human engineered, but at the same time humans were created 20k years before by the ancients. Dumans are just cured SEED infected survivors.

In PSZ, a sequel to PSO, in Coral, CASTs are reactivated (they were all disabled by the Photon Eraser, some kind of EMP ray that was shoot from orbit by Mother Trinity to save the planet, by destroying civilization), but newman are re-enginereed by Mother Trinity a few centuries later, in the Moon. So CASTs are the same as PSO and Newmans are provably upgraded versions (no random death provably)

And d-cell, SEED, dark wave, darker infection, whatever... are all the same.