PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here a big Cartoon fan?

Cyanide
Mar 8, 2001, 05:14 PM
Yea thats right Cartoons woo hoo. Well I mean like old cartoons like my fav Voltron and transformers. Or anime like DBZ (or Dragon Ball Z for those who wouldn't know what I'm rambling about) or outlaw star... Hehe ah I remember the good ol days with Thundercats and He-man lol http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif

MilkManX
Mar 8, 2001, 05:28 PM
Yeah!!! I love anime and cartoons! Does anyone know where I can find Phantasy Star Manga online? Thanx http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_biggrin.gif

Ukyou
Mar 8, 2001, 05:41 PM
I think there's always been a strong correlation between video game and anime fans. Wish they'd make all-anime channels where I live. Saw a bunch of info about 5(!) all-anime channels becoming available in parts of Canada soon... * Wonder if there's any way to get a satelite dish and.... =) *

Seutekh
Mar 8, 2001, 05:55 PM
Thundercats and Transformers rocked. G.I. Joe wasn't too bad.

Cowboy Bebop is the shiznit, tho.

As for you, Ukyou, The Cartoon Network has been circulating rumors for literally YEARS that it'd be starting an all anime network... Ther idea has been cancellerd several times, and although it's been brought back several times, I wouldn't hold your breath... But who knows.

Prodigy
Mar 8, 2001, 06:53 PM
Yes, anime is SO cool! I watch as many as I can (when I'm not playing games of course). I love Sailor Moon (yeah I know, you're typical girl anime), Outlaw Star, Tenchi Muyo!, and DBZ. Yep, even DBZ. Toonami Network...I appreciate their efforts to bring anime out here, but they shouldn't say things they may not be able to fulfill. *sigh* They've decided not to dub the last SM series either. Aah!

Prodigy
Mar 8, 2001, 06:54 PM
Yes, anime is SO cool! I watch as much as I can (when I'm not playing games or out with my buds of course). I love Sailor Moon (yeah I know, you're typical girl anime), Outlaw Star, Tenchi Muyo!, and DBZ. Yep, even DBZ. Toonami Network...I appreciate their efforts to bring anime out here, but they shouldn't say things they may not be able to fulfill. *sigh* They've decided not to dub the last SM series either. Aah!

Manny
Mar 8, 2001, 08:31 PM
"HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" -Lionel

i like alot of the gundam series

Samuel-Vimes
Mar 8, 2001, 08:57 PM
Japanese anime and American animation fan here. Japanese anime is very cool and so is American animation series like the Simpsons and Futurama. However, I really can?t stand dubbed Japanese anime and having my anime ?edited? (this includes cutting out scenes, ?relabeling?, etc.).

Sailor Moon. Don?t know whether I should be proud or embarrassed to say that I have every episode (5 seasons, around 200 episodes) of Sailor Moon (subbed and uncut) except for the 2nd season.

Cowboy Bebop. Damn good series even though I was disappointed by the ending.

If you like ?shoujo? anime Prodigy, I would recommend getting ?Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou/His and Her Circumstances? when it comes out this year (hopefully). And guys, don?t let the ?shoujo? label deter you as this is a very, very good and highly recommended series.

Here?s some series I also like: Card Captor Sakura, not the hack job ?CardCaptors? on the WB. ?Tenkuu no Escaflowne? is also very good. Kacho Oji/Legend of Black Heaven, awesome. Hamelyn the Violinist, don?t be fooled by the name, you just have to see it. Kimagure Orange Road. Maison Ikkoku. Taisho Shichauzo/You?re Under Arrest. Ahh! Megamisama/Oh My Goddess. Urusei Yatsura. Excel Saga, insane is the only word that can describe it. Tenshi Ni Narumon, someone supposedly picked up the title, let?s hope its Bandai or Pioneer or AnimEigo. Kidou Senkan Nadeshiko/Martian Successor Nadesico, but I didn?t like how ADV released it. The Nadesio Movie ?The Prince of Darkness?. Berserk, the blood flows like water. And I can?t wait for AnimEigo to release the original Macross Saga, uncut, and in Japanese.

I think I need to go to Anime Anonymous.

Pollo_loco
Mar 8, 2001, 10:09 PM
Cartoons? www.spacemoose.com (http://www.spacemoose.com). And I think Calvin and Hobbes should count for something.

Drake
Mar 9, 2001, 01:10 AM
KareKano is... interesting. ^^; I like it, myself - just because the characters are so engaging - but I wouldn't recommend it to everyone.

If you can stand KareKano's weirdness, try Kodomo no Omocha, too - it's slightly weirder, but much funnier.

Cardcaptor Sakura is adorable, and I love it. ("Cardcaptors," on the other hand, is the absolute *worst* dub I've ever seen. Poor Sakura... nobody can pronounce her name... --;)

Escaflowne is wonderful, despite the slightly warped drawing style. ^^; It's a classic.

Violinist of Hameln is... erm... well, the movie and the manga are *much* better than the TV episodes...

Berserk is awesome, but don't watch the last few episodes unless you can stand knee-deep blood (and I mean *literally* knee-deep oO;).

...And if anyone's curious, you can order any of the above (except CCS and Escaflowne, which you can get from a normal video store) from a fansub distribution center, like Soyokaze Fansubs (http://www.soyokazefans.com - a very reliable organization).

By the way, Vimes - is Excel Saga any good? It *looks* amazing, but... the last time I bought something just for the drawings, it was DiGi Charat, and that turned out to be... ehh... --;

Fubuki
Mar 9, 2001, 02:45 PM
Ever since someone emailed me a Thundercats slash story, I just can't bring myself to think about the show *shudder*...

I have been outta the anime loop for awhile since my last serious hardcore outting of watching anime non-stop was Orgus 2 (eek! that was along time ago)... but thanks to Lain and Cowboy Bebop and even Trigun my faith is renewed... was getting sick of seeing the naughty tentacle of the week and rehashed and repackaged Lodoss War and Ranma offerings...

pkazama
Mar 9, 2001, 03:51 PM
I like a lot of cartoons or anime. I don't watch nasty(nudey) ones. My favorite anime are Slayers, DB and DBZetc., Fushigi Yuugi, Bubblegum Crisis and Bubblegum Crash. I can't think of all the T.V. cartoons.

Samuel-Vimes
Mar 9, 2001, 04:04 PM
WARNING. LONG POST

?KareKano is... interesting. ^^; I like it, myself - just because the characters are so engaging - but I wouldn't recommend it to everyone. ?
Very true. Not everyone is going to like it, but I do find that almost everyone who has seen it, likes. Mileage will definitely vary.

?If you can stand KareKano's weirdness, try Kodomo no Omocha, too - it's slightly weirder, but much funnier.?
I actually have about 30 or so episodes. Yes it is very funny also (especially the first few episodes), but I would still prefer Kare Kano.

?Cardcaptor Sakura is adorable, and I love it. ("Cardcaptors," on the other hand, is the absolute *worst* dub I've ever seen. Poor Sakura... nobody can pronounce her name... --http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_wink.gif?
Friends don?t let friends watch dubbed anime, period. Unless of course you want to torture them a bit.

?Escaflowne is wonderful, despite the slightly warped drawing style. ^^; It's a classic.?
Have to agree there. Great storyline, but the character designs could use some work. The designs for the Escaflowne movie was much better imho.

?Violinist of Hameln is... erm... well, the movie and the manga are *much* better than the TV episodes...?
The manga and movie were much more light hearted whereas the tv series was pretty dark. The opening song ?Magical Labyrinth? by Skirt is very good and so is the ending song ?Broken Wings?.

?Berserk is awesome, but don't watch the last few episodes unless you can stand knee-deep blood (and I mean *literally* knee-deep oOhttp://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_wink.gif.?
Heh, heh. I?ve said it before and I?ll say it again - The blood flows like water.

?..And if anyone's curious, you can order any of the above (except CCS and Escaflowne, which you can get from a normal video store) from a fansub distribution center, like Soyokaze Fansubs (http://www.soyokazefans.com - a very reliable organization).?
Since I started to collect DVDs, I haven?t been able to afford fansubs mainly because I have only limited funds to buy manga, dvds, and video games. Personally, I like Sachi?s Distribution.

?By the way, Vimes - is Excel Saga any good? It *looks* amazing, but... the last time I bought something just for the drawings, it was DiGi Charat, and that turned out to be... ehh... --;?
Excel Saga. Hmm, summed up in two words. Insane and twisted, but in a good way. I had brought the tape to be shown in a anime club once as break material. We had to show the episode again as one of the main features later on. ADV (why does it have to be ADV) has bought the rights to Excel and we should see it later on this year or the next.

Also coming out is Mahou Tsukai Tai/Magic Users Club (what Media Blasters calls the English name) is coming out soon. It?s a title I would highly recommend, but is certainly not for everyone. The Big O (no, not Orgasm you sickos) is also being released this year by Bandai. If anyone of you are a big fan of Giant Robo, you might want to check it out. On a side note, if anyone has seen the Big O, is it just me or does the animation designs look very much along the lines of the Batman and Robin animation series? Imho, I think that it was done by the same studio.

Manny
Mar 9, 2001, 11:36 PM
I hate how they put animes on after they dub them so much. They took out the two wars in Escaflowne that meant alot to the story. (Probably cause that guys eyeballs go flying out of his head and all of the blood shed and killing)
They messed up Cardcaptors alot too. That guy Lee is in love with Sakura's brother's friend (yes he is gay) but you never get to see that because they took out alot of episodes and that rich girl isnt a big mouth either she is supposed to be quiet.
In DBZ they took out the blood (Piccolo's blood is the color red not purple) and i cant imagine what they do with the Buu era
Im not touching Tenchi Muyo with a ten foot pole
Sailor Moon dont watch it but I wonder how they are dubbing that whole lesbian thing (two of them are lesbians)
Sadfully only a few came out ok.

Prodigy
Mar 13, 2001, 02:22 AM
Ahh! Dubs! Why do they even exist? I'm a huge Sailor Moon fan, and to see the dub (yes, I'm so huge a fan that I'll watch the horrible dub!) and compare with the sub is terrible. As for that lesbian thing, they made them (Sailor Neptune and Uranus) cousins (?!). However, there was a scene where the two were holding hands in a way cousins should not.
See, I never knew Piccolo's blood was red. What's the difference between red and purple blood?
As for CardCaptors, I only watch a little bit of it so I can see what cute costume she'll be wearing. They look so adorable! And yes, why can't anyone say her name right? Sorry Sakura...lol.

Pollo_loco
Mar 13, 2001, 05:46 AM
You totally lost me when you started talking about Anime. Ah, but you're all so entertaining, that I'm gonna keep watching this thread and posting my thoughts. Who knows, I might see if I'll enjoy all the stuff you're talking about in the future, but current monetary constraints forbid it.

Heya, Prodigy - how's life? To answer your question... Red blood looks more like human blood - which should not be shown in a cartoon aired on American (god bless you) television because the network is most likely intending the cartoon to be viewed by young, impressionable minds. Showing blood that might be similiar to human blood, because the character is so obviously humanoid, would lead the child to beleive that it's quite alright to spill human blood. What the network wants the child to beleive is that it's not okay to make a human bleed, but totally okay to make an alien dude bleed... so, go ahead kiddies, cut up some alien dudes. Of course, this is all venture, so don't take my word for it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_razz.gif

Khaotika
Mar 16, 2001, 06:19 AM
Hey Prodigy, I'm a huge Bishojo Senshi Sailormoon fan, and I'm a guy. (stop staring!) http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_biggrin.gif Who's your favorite senshi? (Sailorpluto, Sailorsaturn, and Sailormercury for me)

I'm a huge Transformers fan. I have almost every toy. ^_^ I also love a lot of the 80's cartoons (none of the drek that passes for toons today), as well as a lot of anime.

Soyokaze, eh? Heh. Irresponsible Captain Tylor, anyone? A great series, indeed.

-Khaotika!

"Me thanks brother for making me watch it. So hilarious..."

Prodigy
Mar 19, 2001, 03:39 AM
Hi ppl! Guess what I was thinking about a while ago? Captain Planet!!! Lol you know you used to watch it. Hee hee. Earth! Wind! Fire! Water! Heart! Huh? Was that order? Lol oh well....
Hi Pollo! You following me around or something? Haha j/k. Thnx for clearing up that blood thing for me. I still don't get it: why do they dub cartoons/anime when they can just switch to a different channel and perhaps see something even worse? Geez...
Hiya Khaotika! Alrite, a guy SM fan (I'd write out the long sm name, but nah). Sailor Jupiter and Sailor Pluto are SO cool! I can't stand Sailor Chibi-Moon! Lol. Did you hear that Toonami has decided not to air the last SM series, Sailor Moon Sailor Stars? Ahh! Oh well, I'll watch the 200 eps on sub...eek! That's a lot!
Well, see you all later!

SaitoH
Mar 25, 2001, 09:43 PM
I guess owning about 700+ video tapes and Dvd's would qualify me as fan =)

Damn PSO is keeping me from watching all the new tapes/dvd's I have. I just got in devilman lady, hana yori dango, escaflowne movie and the first 5 eva dvd's. There they sit, mocking and taunting me......

"watch us" the tapes say.

Then PSO says, "I never forgive you if you leave me."

Stupid PSO, always wins (^_^)

ps. and yes, I am clinically insane (^.^)

Samuel-Vimes
Mar 26, 2001, 07:02 PM
?They messed up Cardcaptors alot too. That guy Lee is in love with Sakura's brother's friend (yes he is gay) but you never get to see that because they took out alot of episodes and that rich girl isnt a big mouth either she is supposed to be quiet.?

*Possible Spoilers*

According to some of the translations and summaries I?ve read, Lee may not be ?gay? as we would interpret it. While there is a ?attraction? bwtween him and Touya?s friend (arrgh, forgot the Japanese name). If I remember correctly, its somewhat due to the nature of their powers with Lee?s being sort of a solar/sun based one and Touya?s friend?s being a lunar/moon based one. Then again, this is based off a shoujo manga by CLAMP so I can?t be sure. Take it with a grain of salt.

Yeah, Tomoyo in the original Japanese version, has a very soft voice.

Breezblok
Apr 4, 2001, 09:46 AM
They always screw up anime dubs......I don't mind them, because they're usually hilarious. For instance, in the Japanese Version of DBZ, Goku goes to the fridge on the spaceship and gets a beer, but in the dub, he says 'What's beer doing here? I'll have a sports drink - it's refreshing, and much better for you!' Also, they always seem to just scrap all insults and turn them into 'You fool/fools!' and then randomly insert the words 'trouble', 'danger' and 'pride'. Random example:
Gohan: 'You'll get in trouble!'
Vegeta: 'You'll put us all in danger! You fool!'
Krillen: 'You're damaging my pride'
What pride? I'm out.

-BK-
Apr 5, 2001, 10:23 AM
Praise God for Cartoon Network and good anime, like Escaflowne and Vampire Hunter D.