PDA

View Full Version : Ranged/Tech Hybrid Idea

Cortte
Apr 18, 2015, 09:55 PM
We've already got Braver, and Bouncer. So it stands to reason we should be due in for a ranged and tech hybrid class soon. I have an idea in mind called Phomancer.

I got this idea from thinking about the 10* Aura piece Nega Photon. If they can harness the photon to make an armour, why not use it to power a class? Imagine your main hand weapon being a pistol of some kind. Like a light handed revolver, to a powerful magnum. This class, when killing enemies would absorb their negative photons, and store it all into the weapons gear. This gear, for the gun would come with 12 levels. Think of it as one level for each bullet. Basically giving you a full clip of negative photon bullets to charge. This would make the pistol shoot with the intensity of a mini cannon, and can be fired semi rapidly, as all handguns can be.

I am imagining that if someone wanted to be on the tech side of the tree, they could some how use this photon to power up their spells by a certain amount, and I mean all spells. not just one variety like we are used to seeing. Maybe the boost to these would be smaller as spells are typically more powerful, and powering them all up by say 40% would be a bit over kill.

On the other hand I think it would be cool if someone who chose to go full ranged had an option for a little bit of self buffing. So they could have a skill that instead of having them use the photon like shots, they absorb it into their bodies for a brief window of defence boost, and healing. I think this would add a whole bunch of depth to the class as it would make you have to decide when you want to attack or support yourself.

And of course PAs would be effected by this photon too, but would probably take more than one level to use with a PA. Say 3 levels of charge instead of just one.

My friend ran by me the idea of absorbing photon with damage, because if it was based on kills then it would pose an issue for bosses, and I agree it's a great idea.

So what do you think guys? Cool or no? Personally I'd love the hell out of it.

LonelyGaruga
Apr 18, 2015, 11:01 PM
So what do you think guys? Cool or no?

No.

Braver are samurai.
Bouncer are ninja.

Stands to reason the R/T class is going to follow that pattern. Your idea comes off as a typical uncreative attempt at making an edgy special snowflake class that flies in the face of the setting's premise and programming precedents anyway. Gear that isn't three stocks? The ability to modify PAs and techs of other classes to have effects that they otherwise would never have (this is unprecedented and particularly egregious as something a class should never do)? Yuck.

These threads never seem to have plausible ideas, don't see why each one always tries to make the class as special and unique as possible.

Sizustar
Apr 18, 2015, 11:11 PM
Sega don't visit this forum, so any idea would be better off sent to Sega's opinion form, or wait for the next survey
https://ssl.pso2.jp/players/support/inquiry/?mode=opinion

hoangsea
Apr 18, 2015, 11:31 PM
i'm sure that range/tech class will be next
because br = strike/range, bo = strke/tech
so it's just logical :-?

it's nice if they made an dual pistol will magic bullet class, it ll be awesome

Scale of Judgment
Apr 18, 2015, 11:59 PM
Obviously the next class to come is the SOLDIER class gunslash. ability to imbue technics to PA for a dual attack based upon gunslash gauge. The switching weapons action now is a dodge as well.
can use obstacles, mobs, other players to enhance mobility like running up walls or using them as stepping stones.
Can buff saner that increases movement speed, casting, attack speeds...Also can debuff rimpa that puts enemies to sleep
sleep status immobilizes mob and leave them unable to act. Take 200% damage.
Damage will awaken target.

XbikXBd
Apr 19, 2015, 01:03 AM
GunTecher like in PSU gib me dem crossbows.

yoshiblue
Apr 19, 2015, 02:02 AM
These threads never seem to have plausible ideas, don't see why each one always tries to make the class as special and unique as possible.

Because its a forum and that's a part of what forums are for, regardless of how good or bad a thread is.

I can imagine a T/R class being some kind of monk either reusing talis or borrowing the multi tag throwing shindigs. Would be great if it was a mounted class though. Mounted rifle men, with yari! Just because.

A hopeful dream because it sounds like too much work. The idea would be that the horse and the gun would be one set. You equip a gun, you get a matching horse or whatever creature it gives you. On the field, the horse attacks would be on your LMB and your rifle on the RMB. The horse would be pumping out all your magic damage and would work like bouncer's PAs and the rifle your ranged damage, where you would hold shift like normal. I'd imagine you'ed lose the option to dodge so i'd figure armor upgrades like a combined flash/tech guard would be available. Along with speed and trample damage.

Korazenn
Apr 19, 2015, 02:34 AM
Why are people so quick to turn down Ranger/Force hybrid? It is obvious it could be the next choice with the next Episode as Braver and Bouncer are both hybrid classes as well, and it would be the final hybrid class among them.

For now, it's best to leave the naming of the class to SEGA. Bouncer and Braver are both named after a special type of skill the classes have (Jet Boots Double Jump and Brave Stance respectively). Makes no sense trying to guess the name of a class. But we can still hope by making educated guesses as to what it may entail. For simplicity, I'm going to refer to the RA/FO class as "Drover" (which is a synonym for "Cowboy"). That's just so you know what I'm talking about when I say it.

Edit: To be honest, though, OP...I stopped reading after "Phomancer"...ugh, that name. lol

-----

As for what weapons they would use, they could do the following:

R-ATK/T-ATK (New All Class Weapon like the Gunslash)
- Slicers: Mid-to-close range. It would have both PAs and the ability to have Technics on its weapon palette as well. It can only use Technics on the Subpalette if you are Force/Techer/Bouncer/Drover. It can hit up to 3 enemies at once for full damage, but after that, the 4th and 5th enemies hit (max of 5) would both have less damage dealt to them by a considerable amount (4th) and large amount (5th). Damage technically depreciates with each enemy hit, but it is not as noticeable until later levels. PAs would be limited as the weapon can use all techs (however the techs are limited to the 3-4 possible areas you can place them on the Weapon Palette if you're not a Tech-specialization class as aforementioned).

S-ATK/R-ATK (All Class)
- Gunslashes: Duh. Already implemented.

R-ATK (Drover Only)
- Shotguns (or Shots): The same functionality it served in PSO1. Can hit up to five enemies at once in a spray of bullets and can only use PAs on its weapon palette. Far different from the Launcher because the Launcher is not mid-to-close range like the Shot would be, unless we're talking about a few of the Launcher's PAs, of course (like Cluster Bullet).

R-ATK (Drover Only) <- This is if they don't ever implement Shotguns.
- Dual Handguns (or Dual Pistols): Mid-to-close range weapons that are like pistols. The main drawback to them is that they lack the range of Assault Rifles and damage of Launchers, but the good part about them is that they are faster than Launchers and deal more knockback than Assault Rifles do. They are very great to combo with, and it is best to use with a Ranger as your main/sub class to get the most out of them because of Weak Bullet. Can use Technics with them to imbue the bullets of the gun within that particular offensive technic's element for a limited time and get up-close and personal to finish the job with its Photon Arts as well. The drawback to the close-range PAs that are more powerful is that they knock you back a bit and leave you open to enemy attacks for a brief period (not face-planted into the ground, obviously).

T-ATK (Drover Only)
- Sabers: Sounds weird, let me explain: Sabers were always single-target weapons but they were not much different than Canes in Phantasy Star Online. Since we already have Canes, which are essentially the Wands in this game, it makes sense for Sabers to return in some form. In the classic games prior to PSO1, the Saber was a weapon used mostly by characters in your party that also could use Technics (like Alis Landale from Phantasy Star I). You may ask: "well, how does that fit in with the Drover?" The fact of the matter is that you can't just expect the class to only be at a range all the time, and it still needs a weapon for Techniques as well. The Saber would be a perfect fit for it, and it would still make sense T-ATK-wise. While it would be faster than a Wand, it would have less T-ATK, thus balancing it out. It would also have no PAs like all other pure T-ATK weapons.

-----

So, there you have my two cents. Three new weapons, two for Drover-only, and one new all-class weapon is my bet for what it is to come in Episode 4.

landman
Apr 19, 2015, 04:33 AM
Isn't Buster a ranged and tech hybrid already? They already have the weapons and the class... why expect they'll do anything new?

Renvalt
Apr 19, 2015, 05:03 AM
Because the class seems to have been built with PS-Nova's Gigantes MonHan cheapness in mind.

Right now, they're too busy making TRUE raid levels of existing areas that are just reskins/remodels of existing enemy skeletons, too busy making pretty costumes since Sakai STILL doesn't know what he wants his waifu to wear before he bones her in what he presumes will be the most "epic" hentai scene evar desu. Too busy with his Shingeki boss to realize that Harukotan STILL doesn't have its second area, and Episode 3 has only had 2 TRUE new areas since its release.

In all seriousness, though, I have no idea why. Perhaps maybe the class is just using a glorified launcher? Haven't seen what the halos are capable of though, but I'm pretty sure that all they do is make pretty platforms so you can fight a bigass mecha dino that really belongs alongside the crap that is Laoshan and his endless dragon hordes.

Chdata
Apr 19, 2015, 05:28 AM
Make frisbees/throwing discs that are r-atk with a t-atk explosion that can be bound to a particular tech to determine its effects.

Achelousaurus
Apr 19, 2015, 06:26 AM
No.

Braver are samurai.
Bouncer are ninja.

Stands to reason the R/T class is going to follow that pattern. Your idea comes off as a typical uncreative attempt at making an edgy special snowflake class that flies in the face of the setting's premise and programming precedents anyway. Gear that isn't three stocks? The ability to modify PAs and techs of other classes to have effects that they otherwise would never have (this is unprecedented and particularly egregious as something a class should never do)? Yuck.

Ninja?
Using boots as weapons?
Besides there is a double ninjato weapon and it's a dagger.

Either way, I just want my frigging slicers.

LonelyGaruga
Apr 19, 2015, 12:10 PM
Why are people so quick to turn down Ranger/Force hybrid? It is obvious it could be the next choice with the next Episode as Braver and Bouncer are both hybrid classes as well, and it would be the final hybrid class among them.

I don't think anyone's shooting that idea down because it's blatantly clear R/T is next, anyone can see that. Ideas get shot down for being bad attempts at an R/T hybrid.

Isn't Buster a ranged and tech hybrid already? They already have the weapons and the class... why expect they'll do anything new?

Buster can equip every weapon inherently. That's why.

Ninja?
Using boots as weapons?
Besides there is a double ninjato weapon and it's a dagger.

Please be more open-minded about what ninja are like. They aren't all like Naruto's setting. Ninjas historically had a tremendous variety of implements for murder. A weapon about mobility for stealthy assassins makes perfect sense. Also, DBs share a lot of models with TDs, including the ones you mention, so that doesn't work.

Anyway, it's not even my personal observation, it was something swiki noticed. Don't really need to look further than EP3's opening to see where the connection was made. It's not as obvious as with Braver, but the only thing Braver has in common with a samurai is the weapons it has available. Compromises are made to fit the setting and gameplay better.

Gryffin
Apr 19, 2015, 01:31 PM
Boomer.

Comes with Slicer and Shotgun, and capability to increase crit damage/chance.

I've been ranting about how golden such a class would be for ages now, and still so so hopeful about it.

Maninbluejumpsuit
Apr 19, 2015, 01:31 PM
Sega don't visit this forum, so any idea would be better off sent to Sega's opinion form, or wait for the next survey
https://ssl.pso2.jp/players/support/inquiry/?mode=opinion

Where can I find the translated dropdown menu?

GoldenFalcon
Apr 19, 2015, 03:23 PM
My idea for Blaster (the obvious real name for the class) is using a medium to heavy ranged weapon which transforms between R-atk and T-atk, and its PA's do different things based on the transformation. Then, slicers would be a pure technic weapon, shift used for palette swap. Ranged weapon would fill gear slowly with everything it does, and have 2 different activate skills depending on if you want to use the gauge on a high-defense stationary effect, or a jetpack with free movement while attacking. Slicer would fill gear slowly with normal attacks, more fill when it bounces, and have 2 activate skills to do either a very powerful Slicer attack, or a very powerful technic, based on which element you charge up next (does not work with Namegid)

Gun would vary between maser, giant crossbow, coil gun, etc. and transform by like folding down the atypical gun barrel. Slicers would generally be larger than a gunslash, have long handles, and avoid generic sword shapes.

Only idea I have for stances right now is like Penetrate to do non-reduced damage to armored parts (would stack very well with Break Stance, Weak Bullet), and Overcharge to do extra damage but double PP costs. Would each last 30 seconds, 60 second cooldown, and activate instantly, but if both become active at the same time, would make both have a longer cooldown (instead of switching back and forth)

Yeah.

TheAstarion
Apr 19, 2015, 07:11 PM
Thinking about BR & BO, their stances are all things that already exist on other classes, or were at least planned to exist. Break Stance is an evolution of Break Mastery that was datamined from Fighter tree after all.

So... Zero Stance and Standing Stance? Boosts to damage at short range, or while not moving? Standing Stance (Earth Stance maybe?) would be while not moving, which could give something along the lines of a defensive bonus and flinch protection while still in addition to damage boosts. Or no damage boost at all but PP surge.

Slicer (T-atk based like PSZero) and Needle (best compromise between PSO Shot, PSU Shotgun, Spread Needle and PSU Crossbow) would suit an explorer-type character.

Also as the only hybrid with both styles being intrinsically ranged... zero ranged stance is clearly what Sega would do with the class.

Next are the third wave of base classes, just in time for Beast race!

Gryffin
Apr 19, 2015, 09:50 PM
My idea for Blaster (the obvious real name for the class) is using a medium to heavy ranged weapon which transforms between R-atk and T-atk, and its PA's do different things based on the transformation. Then, slicers would be a pure technic weapon, shift used for palette swap. Ranged weapon would fill gear slowly with everything it does, and have 2 different activate skills depending on if you want to use the gauge on a high-defense stationary effect, or a jetpack with free movement while attacking. Slicer would fill gear slowly with normal attacks, more fill when it bounces, and have 2 activate skills to do either a very powerful Slicer attack, or a very powerful technic, based on which element you charge up next (does not work with Namegid)

Gun would vary between maser, giant crossbow, coil gun, etc. and transform by like folding down the atypical gun barrel. Slicers would generally be larger than a gunslash, have long handles, and avoid generic sword shapes.

Only idea I have for stances right now is like Penetrate to do non-reduced damage to armored parts (would stack very well with Break Stance, Weak Bullet), and Overcharge to do extra damage but double PP costs. Would each last 30 seconds, 60 second cooldown, and activate instantly, but if both become active at the same time, would make both have a longer cooldown (instead of switching back and forth)

Yeah.

Oooh, Blaster, I like that. Add Slicers (as a weapon for all T-atk classes as a trade-off for gunslashes) Blaster can get Shotguns and Laser Cannons, with trees revolving on pierce perks or multihit/spread perks.

Plz

Dycize
Apr 19, 2015, 09:56 PM
We could also repurpose PSNova's Halos into Slicers.
Halos are basically t-atk slicers (complete with their own PAs(well GAs because PSN but you get the idea)) with a platform gimmick that -could- be ported to PSO2 and still be useful (no giant platforms with insta teleport button, but I'm sure people can find many uses for aerial platforms).

For the heck of it I'd like to see bits/funnels as a weapon type for a ranged and tech-y feel but I have no idea what mechanic it would have.

reaper527
Apr 19, 2015, 10:51 PM
Too busy with his Shingeki boss to realize that Harukotan STILL doesn't have its second area, and Episode 3 has only had 2 TRUE new areas since its release.

you realize that episode 2 consisted of 3 areas (coast, quarry, seabed), right? why are you so surprised that ep3 only has 2 areas at this point?

Sparzyle
Apr 20, 2015, 12:03 AM
Thinking about BR & BO, their stances are all things that already exist on other classes, or were at least planned to exist. Break Stance is an evolution of Break Mastery that was datamined from Fighter tree after all.

So... Zero Stance and Standing Stance? Boosts to damage at short range, or while not moving? Standing Stance (Earth Stance maybe?) would be while not moving, which could give something along the lines of a defensive bonus and flinch protection while still in addition to damage boosts. Or no damage boost at all but PP surge.

Slicer (T-atk based like PSZero) and Needle (best compromise between PSO Shot, PSU Shotgun, Spread Needle and PSU Crossbow) would suit an explorer-type character.

Also as the only hybrid with both styles being intrinsically ranged... zero ranged stance is clearly what Sega would do with the class.

Next are the third wave of base classes, just in time for Beast race!
I was thinking on something like this, getting Slicers and Needle-shotguns are the only missing weapons, also I love those Stances ideas

Close Stance would be the Slicer Stance (as how Katana+Average, DualBlade+Break, JetBoots+Elemental...etc) since in PSO most of the times mobs would surround you and you could attack a bunch of them with one slice and that weapon should be the Technique+PA hybrid that was somewhat expected with Jet Boots (they're already putting another Fusion Technique so that wouldn't be too strange to do).

On the hand of Needleshots either Close or Standing Stance could work good and it could have a Gear that infuses with Elemental Blast damage as how the Jet Boots does but it would have it's pure Ranged PAs like every other Ranged weapon.

But I don't want beasts ;w; ...maybe some sort of Android/Beast race?

Zorua
Apr 20, 2015, 12:23 AM
But I don't want beasts ;w; ...maybe some sort of Android/Beast race?

Dragonkin or Lilipan people

Korazenn
Apr 20, 2015, 01:10 AM

I would totally vouche for a Dragonkin race of people.

Sparzyle
Apr 20, 2015, 01:37 AM
In the early days of PSO2 I thought they would make the Dragonkin race playable since they're already had classes (Sil Dinian/HU, Sol Dinian/RA, Dinian/FO) but then they released the dewmans which has horns and blue-ish/red-ish skin like some of the dragons, so I'm thinking maybe next race would be some race with hairy features like Lilipans/Motavians/Early primitive Newmans.

But android/beast could be cool to see and fit the Class concept of Ranged(Cast)/Newman Beast(Technique) imo :-?

LonelyGaruga
Apr 20, 2015, 02:13 AM
Just food for thought since nobody seems to notice.

Hunter, Fighter, Braver, and Bouncer are the classes with stances.
Ranger, Gunner, Force, and Techer are the classes without stances.

The classes with stances are all striking classes. Why would a R/T hybrid necessarily have stances? Not saying it won't, but it's funny how virtually every class idea has stances when only half of the ones actually in the game do.

Also? Braver and Bouncer's weapons have shared dodges. That's the case for every class' main weapons, for that matter. The R/T hybrid would follow this rule.

Lastly, I'd like to bring up PS Nova. But not for Buster. PS Nova combines many class roles into the four classes it has, and as a result, a lot of classes have skills from related classes. Buster in particular gets a lot of odds and ends, like T-DEF Up, GP Up, Average Stance, and Chase Advance. But they also have some unique ones that aren't from PSO2. For examples!

-Ranger has two skills affecting PP regen. One disables natural PP regen but increases PP gained from normals, and the other is vice versa.
-Ranger has a skill that reduces hate.

-Force has skills that apply elemental weaknesses.
-Force has skills that forcibly change a weapon's element and gives a damage bonus.

-Buster has a skill that increase PP costs and increase damage, and a skill that does the opposite.
-Buster has a skill that increases charge times and increases damage, and a skill that does the opposite.

Remember that the class' role comes first. The very first thing to think about when designing a class is what it does. Not what kind of weapons it uses, but how it, when compared to other classes, performs a role in a party. An R/T hybrid would be a good candidate for debilitating a target and adjusting its tactics based on situations, which is precisely why I handpicked those skills from Nova. These are good candidates to show up on the tree.

-An R/T hybrid has a good chance of focusing on adding weaknesses to a target. Most likely elemental weaknesses only.
-An R/T hybrid has a good chance of having abilities to strengthen itself by rewarding players for taking advantages of certain gameplay mechanics, such as weak points and elemental weaknesses. The above, plus the ability to change a weapon's element, would be a good candidate for this.
-An R/T hybrid has a good chance of focusing more on offensive tech usage, since both Techer and Bouncer are advertised as support roles primarily. A variety of damage bonuses will probably be present on the tree, along with unique ways to utilize techs, such as altering costs and charge times. Gear mechanics are possible, but not necessary or even necessarily probable, as R and T classes have the most weapons lacking Gears.

I'd advise looking at what Sega does and observing how they program the game when trying to come up with class ideas, as being consistent within the setting is the number one most important thing for a plausible, good idea. Not following this is effectively comparable to bad fanfiction writing. Observe the setting, draw conclusions about it, then expand upon it.