PDA

View Full Version : About skill updates

Achelousaurus
Apr 23, 2015, 04:10 AM
Some real nice changes like sword boost, supposedly making it easier to get Snatch JA on braver (haven't checked ingame but the skill simulator is still the same), etc.

I just thought that while we like this and swallow this, this is most likely just a ploy.

Cause if you can make stuff in a certain way, good enough for people to like but some details here and there are annoying, people will swallow it and play.
Next all you gotta do is fix some of the details and suddenly it looks like a bigass update and everything got improved people are hyped and play a lot even though there was never a reason not to do things this way in the first place.

Reminds me of a dailywtf I read about a programmer that would have a loop for each screen refresh to add an artificial delay.
Whenever management complained he would drop a 0 and everything was faster and it seemed like magic.
But it was only ever artificial BS that had no actual purpose.

Not saying Sega doesn't make real mistakes and really fixes them, even because of player input.
But considering all the BS we already got I'm pretty sure part of the updates are just a hoax.

yuln
Apr 23, 2015, 05:48 AM
Can't complain since receiving two free skilltree-passes is always a good thing in my opinion!

TehCubey
Apr 23, 2015, 06:03 AM
Don't forget your tinfoil hat.

TaigaUC
Apr 23, 2015, 06:07 AM
I'm sure some things are a ploy in terms of dripfeeding content (eg. bad outfit colors).
But going by SEGA's track record with deleting HDDs and stuff, I doubt their fixing badly implemented gameplay mechanics is a ploy to impress us.
If they suck too much, nobody will be around to be impressed by any improvement.
So they can't just keep being rubbish and impressing people with minor fixes. There's a line somewhere.

Everyone's impression of SEGA is that they aren't thinking far ahead with PSO2.
It feels very much like "let's just throw stuff in as we go".
I'm sure they have some vague ideas like, "let's throw in Pioneer II at some point".

A lot of stuff should have been in there to begin with, yes, but I think they really are that lacking in foresight.
However, to be honest, I really expected them to hold back the multiple affixes search feature for Episode 4.
They better have something amazing up their sleeve for Episode 4.
It better be more than just Pioneer II.

Achelousaurus
Apr 23, 2015, 06:17 AM
They deleted their HDDs?
Wow. More incompetent than I ever thought.

But yeah costumes are the prime example. We get more or less the same color variety for almost all outfits.
No reason whatsoever to not include all colors from the start or GV versions of Cast parts other than dripfeed.

Sega read up very thoroughly on Morpg Making 101 and dripfeeding content is an extremely easy way of keeping people playing and paying. It isn't just new content dripfeed like the trickle of XH we are still getting but balance dripfeed as well (partially at least).

Ezodagrom
Apr 23, 2015, 06:22 AM
They deleted their HDDs?
Wow. More incompetent than I ever thought.
They tried to make it so the pre-downloader (for pre-patches) in PSO2 deleted the precede folder after copying the files from that folder to the game's folder, they screwed up the implementation and it just started deleting random files in the players PCs (in some cases, deleting files of final fantasy 14 for some reason)....

Achelousaurus
Apr 23, 2015, 10:48 AM
o.O
5ch

wefwq
Apr 23, 2015, 11:09 AM
/*patiently waiting for it's okay when sega does it comment*/

Kondibon
Apr 23, 2015, 01:15 PM
Generally when designing content for games that change over time it's best to implement things slightly underpowered or difficult to get then make it better or easier after getting feedback than the other way around. Nothing is going to be balanced perfectly, and if sega is guilty of anything it's simply not keeping track of all the multipliers available to things when attempting to buff stuff (lolvolgraptorbanisharrowcombos).

The hunter changes mainly stem from hunter's gameplay being relatively dated. Sword worked better when bosses were slow and people weren't always killing every enemy in the room instantly. As we got closer to SH though, they started to fall behind. Personally I think, outside of Fury stance, Hu has been the BEST handled for balance changes. Making huge changes to something when balancing is an easy way to tip in the other direction. People react better to things getting buffed than getting nerfed. I think they know that, but they drop the ball so much that the places they get it right don't matter, and they tend to be really slow with those kinds of changes anyway.

This is why WB is in such a bad position.