PDA

View Full Version : Datamined content: The Profound Darkness [Story Spoilers]

Maenara
Apr 23, 2015, 10:31 PM
I'm going to start off this thread saying that it does not have a lot of substance. I figured this warranted its own thread since it's a rather major potential development.

The text file mentioned a Matoi enemy ("Black-clothed Matoi", but it was marked as a temporary name).

It's not immediately obvious, you need to have done Matter Board 17 to understand. In it, [Persona] attempts to make Matoi the host of the Profound Darkness, and he failed because Matoi used Clarissa to 'erase' herself. However, in the brief time she was becoming the host, her clothes became Dark Falz-styled.

[Persona] themselves harks from an alternate timeline which was destroyed by the Profound Darkness, so it's a distinct possibility this 'black-clothed Matoi' is the Profound Darkness from that timeline.

Discuss.

BIG OLAF
Apr 23, 2015, 11:03 PM
I wish the PSO2 story was good.

Maenara
Apr 23, 2015, 11:10 PM
Why are you always the first one to post on these threads?

ArcaneTechs
Apr 23, 2015, 11:12 PM
I wish the PSO2 story was good.
i spit my dam soda all over my keyboard reading this, everytime Olaf, everytime

BIG OLAF
Apr 23, 2015, 11:17 PM
Every time? Dude, stop ruining your keyboards. Gonna get like ants in 'em and shit.

LonelyGaruga
Apr 23, 2015, 11:25 PM
I spilled some soda on a laptop keyboard once. It killed the laptop.

Don't drink and type.

Anyway, something more on topic? Already talked to Mae about this so I don't have anything to really add. Matoi had a blatantly RRR inspired outfit so it's kind of a given...yeah.

ArcaneTechs
Apr 24, 2015, 12:02 AM
Every time? Dude, stop ruining your keyboards. Gonna get like ants in 'em and shit.
I've done it a few times reading your posts, I had to let the keyboard air dry for a few hours haha

Topic though, I havent played through the storyline translated yet but everytime i do read the spoilers, it sounds like its getting better and better. I'm curious about the Matoi thing though, makes me wonder if she would be the next DF fight or something

Meteor Weapon
Apr 24, 2015, 01:59 AM
I'm going to start off this thread saying that it does not have a lot of substance. I figured this warranted its own thread since it's a rather major potential development.

It's not immediately obvious, you need to have done Matter Board 17 to understand. In it, [Persona] attempts to make Matoi the host of the Profound Darkness, and he failed because Matoi used Clarissa to 'erase' herself. However, in the brief time she was becoming the host, her clothes became Dark Falz-styled.

[Persona] themselves harks from an alternate timeline which was destroyed by the Profound Darkness, so it's a distinct possibility this 'black-clothed Matoi' is the Profound Darkness from that timeline.

Discuss.

I thought Persona wanted to kill Matoi to stop her from becoming the Profound Darkness. Recall that Persona attempted to attack Matoi again when she was transforming only to be fended off by our MC.

TaigaUC
Apr 24, 2015, 02:17 AM
If I recall correctly, only the player (which theoretically includes Persona) can time travel/cross dimensions, otherwise everyone would be doing it.
So, if there is a Profound Darkness from another dimension, I doubt they would be able to cross into ours.

Maenara
Apr 24, 2015, 02:19 AM
In that case, that would mean some pretty bad things are going to happen to our Matoi.

Rain Walker
Apr 24, 2015, 02:49 AM
Black Matoi? That's racist doe.

Maenara
Apr 24, 2015, 03:01 AM

Black-clothed.

Poyonche
Apr 24, 2015, 03:10 AM

For the first time she will use a launcher : Illegal Negro.

Renvalt
Apr 24, 2015, 03:59 AM
In that case, that would mean some pretty bad things are going to happen to our Matoi.

There was already a small accident going on in 3-3 when Apprentice (not Yucreta, Oldprentice) showed up and acted like she knew Matoi. It pulled at something inside her.

My guess is that the reason we weren't treated to a re-awakening of the PD inside her when [Persona] showed up in 3-1 because she wasn't around. I'd imagine [Persona] seeing her again is what'd trigger it (so far, she hasn't had a face to face encounter with the Doppelganger, so she's been safe this entire time).

The possibility of Matoi turning evil has been a thing since the beginning of the game (when she was in danger of being discovered), us rescuing her helped prevent [Persona] from finding her, since it figured that Clarissa and Matoi wouldn't be far apart (I dunno why he thought Clarissa would be intact after that though).

TaigaUC
Apr 24, 2015, 06:20 AM
Sega likes to cheaply tug at our heartstrings, so I'm expecting Matoi to eventually suffer a terrible fate.

NoiseHERO
Apr 24, 2015, 06:26 AM
She's tiny woman/girl and it's japan so bad writing so prolly tentacle gang rap-

oratank
Apr 24, 2015, 06:35 AM
She's tiny woman/girl and it's japan so bad writing so prolly tentacle gang rap-

i call this a good writing

Poyonche
Apr 24, 2015, 07:02 AM
And by "normal" we mean a Japanese standard which means soft-spoken and super girly with no ambition or personality other than "I'm a girl and I have boobs."

New signature, thanks.

LonelyGaruga
Apr 24, 2015, 12:06 PM
There was already a small accident going on in 3-3 when Apprentice (not Yucreta, Oldprentice) showed up and acted like she knew Matoi. It pulled at something inside her.

Doesn't mean Oldprentice actually did know anything about her.

Anyway, I thought the whole issue with Matoi being abandoned in Naberius was that she would die if left unattended. Matoi was made by Xion so she's important.

Also, I didn't really play PSIV, but from what I understood about the Profound Darkness while reading about the plot, it was a collective identity, not a single entity. With the Great Light working on similar principles. Description I read of it was closer to being akin to an army of spiritual entities that collectively embody the Profound Darkness as a whole, with the Profound Darkness fought at the end of the game being a physical manifestation of the whole that it has to take because it was imprisoned. And this stuff got muddled in the translation process.

TheszNuts
Apr 24, 2015, 12:17 PM
You're all ignoring the fact that SEGA has had no problem killing off characters in the previous online titles, so don't get too attached.

BIG OLAF
Apr 24, 2015, 03:46 PM
If disregarding the original lore is "better and better", I guess, sure.

You can't become an entity that already exists. It's not "THE" Profound Darkness if you can BECOME IT while it ALREADY EXISTS. It's "A" Profound Darkness, then. Which kind of shits all over Profound Darkness being THE thing behind all the Falzes. It just makes Profound Darkness into another layer of Falz. It's not special. It's just one of multiple.

Thank you. The Profound Darkness is supposed to be a primordial malicious essence that's existed since the dawn of Creation - the embodiment of Evil itself. There is one, and only one. It keeps coming back, and can only be defeated by being resealed, as Evil cannot die.

So, yeah, making it a 'multiple' thing, let alone a 'multiple' thing that fancies possessing ugly semi-loli girls is a disgrace to the franchise.

Maninbluejumpsuit
Apr 24, 2015, 03:58 PM
now she can be a "normal" girl and by "normal" we mean a Japanese standard which means soft-spoken and super girly with no ambition or personality other than "I'm a girl and I have boobs."

I've not enjoyed this story from chapter 1 and here I am 3 episodes later hating it more and more. Only stuff I've ever enjoyed is scenes with Aki or Chroto :T

Sorry for that rant. If you can enjoy the story or the characters, that's good for you. I just personally don't.

I still don't get people that enjoy Matoi, unless this old soft-spoken-baby-bird-imprinted character trope is all those people want.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, especially when the the 'it's not like I'm learning techs to protect you or anything' line came up.

Azanami, and Katori have more potential than Matoi since they actually have personality + unique character flaws that seem to play on each other. I'm sure there's more.

EspeonageTieler
Apr 24, 2015, 04:05 PM
If disregarding the original lore is "better and better", I guess, sure.

You can't become an entity that already exists. It's not "THE" Profound Darkness if you can BECOME IT while it ALREADY EXISTS. It's "A" Profound Darkness, then. Which kind of shits all over Profound Darkness being THE thing behind all the Falzes. It just makes Profound Darkness into another layer of Falz. It's not special. It's just one of multiple.

The moment she got stabbity'd, I wanted the option to murder her. They keep acting like I don't want to kill her. I don't like her. I don't have a shred of empathy for her. She's a hazard. All of ARKS are more important than just her, and she might wipe all of them out. Kill her. "But what if there's another way?!" Is it worth the risk of everyone in the fleet and probably every planet we've ever come into contact with? No. No it isn't. It is fiction, so we can say "But we're gonna save EVERYONE!" and we really will, but I don't like that. I was hoping for something a tad more realistic, which means not everything is going to turn out okay just because I hope it will. Matoi would not not destroy everything just because the power of love and underboob. I'm tired of nobody ever really dying. I think Haddred is the only one who's STAYED DEAD and even then, his clone brothers are all over the place!

Let's face it, she's not going to die. They'll give us a "choice" when it looks like we have to kill her. It'll say, "You have to kill her!" and then ONE choice will be given, and it'll say "No." And then she won't kill everyone because we're just such a wonderful person who filled her heart with love and now she can be a "normal" girl and by "normal" we mean a Japanese standard which means soft-spoken and super girly with no ambition or personality other than "I'm a girl and I have boobs."

I've not enjoyed this story from chapter 1 and here I am 3 episodes later hating it more and more. Only stuff I've ever enjoyed is scenes with Aki or Chroto :T

Sorry for that rant. If you can enjoy the story or the characters, that's good for you. I just personally don't.

i swore an oath to protect matoi with my life id rather lay down the entire universe than see her die #fightmeh

Maninbluejumpsuit
Apr 24, 2015, 04:10 PM
i swore an oath to protect matoi with my life id rather lay down the entire universe than see her die #fightmeh

She's not human, though.

I don't mean story-wise. I mean she really lacks any quirks that would make her seem more... real, or at least different.

EspeonageTieler
Apr 24, 2015, 04:14 PM
She's not human, though.

I don't mean story-wise. I mean she really lacks any quirks that would make her seem more... real.

well on a more serious note i actully do really like her as a character and she seems "real" to me

Maninbluejumpsuit
Apr 24, 2015, 04:15 PM
well on a more serious note i actully do really like her as a character and she seems "real" to me

How so?

EspeonageTieler
Apr 24, 2015, 04:18 PM
How so?

i dont really know how to explain it tbh she just reminds me of a friend i guess shes kind of shy but has potential to be really strong/smart

Renvalt
Apr 24, 2015, 04:18 PM
Doesn't mean Oldprentice actually did know anything about her.

Anyway, I thought the whole issue with Matoi being abandoned in Naberius was that she would die if left unattended. Matoi was made by Xion so she's important.

Also, I didn't really play PSIV, but from what I understood about the Profound Darkness while reading about the plot, it was a collective identity, not a single entity. With the Great Light working on similar principles. Description I read of it was closer to being akin to an army of spiritual entities that collectively embody the Profound Darkness as a whole, with the Profound Darkness fought at the end of the game being a physical manifestation of the whole that it has to take because it was imprisoned. And this stuff got muddled in the translation process.

Spoilers regarding MB17 incoming:
[SPOILER-BOX]Oldprentice is the form of Apprentice that Matoi fought 10 years ago, when she was still the 2nd Claris Claes. The big attack on the Arks Fleet at the time was somewhat of a coordinated effort between Loser and Oldprentice (the former simply because Matoi's the only member of the Heroes he couldn't control, and the latter because she wanted revenge for when she ripped off her makeup and made her ugly).

Matoi won that fight by the skin of her teeth (because she was fighting other ARKS that were being used as living walls by Oldprentice), and would've lost had it not been for [Persona] showing up (as us, conveniently). 'Course, we still show up and deal with the Faker anyways.

Basically, Matoi is like the fusion of Celica A. Mercury and Noel Vermillion from BlazBlue, while we're pretty much Ragna the Bloodedge (seriously, the time travel stunt they pulled REEKS of BlazBlue bullshit).

The white-skinned Apprentice that we've been seeing since EP1 is actually Afin's sister Yucreta, who happens to be the "thing" that Afin's been searching for, the reason he joined ARKS. The reason she can't find her own body is two-fold: Yucreta is terrible at finding shit (she was basically Dom over Afin because he was better at this than she was), and she only possesses one part of Apprentice's power (what Oldprentice didn't lose when Matoi stuffed the other segment of her power into Lilipa's soil). The third part needed to restore Apprentice to her former glory just so happens to be the very thing that Double ate 10 years ago, as she was trying to worm her way out of getting punished by Double (who seems to have the most authority amongst the Falzes - in a sense they're like a Prince and Princess of Darkness, so to speak).

Naturally, this failed and now Oldprentice is stuck being Double's bitch for however long they feel like playing with her.

The reason why Apprentice-Yucreta is attacking the Mining Bases happens to do with the fact that the power Matoi sealed away was sealed in the crust of Lilipa itself, kinda like planting seeds in a massive field. The power eventually seeps into the crust of Lilipa, enriching the already high mineral content of the planet. It's also why attacking the Mining Bases is actually somewhat of a viable idea for Apprentice - she's attempting to stop the ARKS from purifying "her" power in a way that she can no longer use it (Liliparium is basically minerals that would've otherwise contained fragments of her power).[/SPOILER-BOX]

Most of this is actual story fact, but some of these things are in actuality mere theory and speculative bullshit - due to how much of EP3 ISN'T translated (and I can't read Japanese, let alone Kanji).

Tenlade
Apr 24, 2015, 06:02 PM
You're all ignoring the fact that SEGA has had no problem killing off characters in the previous online titles, so don't get too attached.

this game copies so much from the original pso that it's been obvious from the start she's gonna share Rico's fate. Final bosses demand virgin sacrifice.

Renvalt
Apr 24, 2015, 06:11 PM
this game copies so much from the original pso that it's been obvious from the start she's gonna share Rico's fate. Final bosses demand virgin sacrifice.

Technically speaking, didn't Xion go that route? Matoi seems too much like PSPo2's Emilia to me - and I recall she died and got her behind saved by what amounts to a golden star goddess from a kingdom of golden star gods and goddesses (not sure how the story plays out tbh, maybe one of these days I'll play it myself).

I mean, right now Suganuma-shifu is in charge, I imagine the dude regards his work on PSPo2 as his magnum opus. Wouldn't surprise me if he's taking huge chunks of stuff from there to use in PSO2.

TheszNuts
Apr 24, 2015, 06:23 PM
In PSP2 the player died and the possessed Emilia brought you back to life.

Maenara
Apr 24, 2015, 06:26 PM
Spoilers regarding MB17 incoming:
[SPOILER-BOX]Oldprentice is the form of Apprentice that Matoi fought 10 years ago, when she was still the 2nd Claris Claes. The big attack on the Arks Fleet at the time was somewhat of a coordinated effort between Loser and Oldprentice (the former simply because Matoi's the only member of the Heroes he couldn't control, and the latter because she wanted revenge for when she ripped off her makeup and made her ugly).

Matoi won that fight by the skin of her teeth (because she was fighting other ARKS that were being used as living walls by Oldprentice), and would've lost had it not been for [Persona] showing up (as us, conveniently). 'Course, we still show up and deal with the Faker anyways.

Basically, Matoi is like the fusion of Celica A. Mercury and Noel Vermillion from BlazBlue, while we're pretty much Ragna the Bloodedge (seriously, the time travel stunt they pulled REEKS of BlazBlue bullshit).

The white-skinned Apprentice that we've been seeing since EP1 is actually Afin's sister Yucreta, who happens to be the "thing" that Afin's been searching for, the reason he joined ARKS. The reason she can't find her own body is two-fold: Yucreta is terrible at finding shit (she was basically Dom over Afin because he was better at this than she was), and she only possesses one part of Apprentice's power (what Oldprentice didn't lose when Matoi stuffed the other segment of her power into Lilipa's soil). The third part needed to restore Apprentice to her former glory just so happens to be the very thing that Double ate 10 years ago, as she was trying to worm her way out of getting punished by Double (who seems to have the most authority amongst the Falzes - in a sense they're like a Prince and Princess of Darkness, so to speak).

Naturally, this failed and now Oldprentice is stuck being Double's bitch for however long they feel like playing with her.

The reason why Apprentice-Yucreta is attacking the Mining Bases happens to do with the fact that the power Matoi sealed away was sealed in the crust of Lilipa itself, kinda like planting seeds in a massive field. The power eventually seeps into the crust of Lilipa, enriching the already high mineral content of the planet. It's also why attacking the Mining Bases is actually somewhat of a viable idea for Apprentice - she's attempting to stop the ARKS from purifying "her" power in a way that she can no longer use it (Liliparium is basically minerals that would've otherwise contained fragments of her power).[/SPOILER-BOX]

Most of this is actual story fact, but some of these things are in actuality mere theory and speculative bullshit - due to how much of EP3 ISN'T translated (and I can't read Japanese, let alone Kanji).

You don't really need to spoiler your spoilers, this thread has been aptly titled for its spoilers.

LonelyGaruga
Apr 24, 2015, 09:10 PM
*snip*

1) I already knew all of that.
2) None of that was relevant to what I said.

Since you probably aren't aware, Oldprentice didn't actually do anything in EP3-3 besides cuss Matoi out.

Renvalt
Apr 24, 2015, 09:15 PM
1) I already knew all of that.
2) None of that was relevant to what I said.

Since you probably aren't aware, Oldprentice didn't actually do anything in EP3-3 besides cuss Matoi out.

And yet that apparently made Matoi flip the fuck out, if the scene I saw was any indicator.

Seriously, if Matoi's gonna go cray cray just from a Falz cussing her out, I think she's got more problems than just the PD crisis to worry about...

LonelyGaruga
Apr 24, 2015, 10:05 PM
Matoi going "cray cray" (ugh, such a stupid phrase) has nothing to do with anything Oldprentice actually said. It has to do with her being an amnesiac. You know, one of the very first things we learn about her as a character? Seriously, run the dialogue through Google Translate or something if you want to understand the story so much. Really hate it when people speculate on the craziest of things just because they can't even read the script.

Actually, what do you even think Oldprentice could possibly say that could make Matoi flip out by virtue of the meaning behind the words? Oldprentice is just a psycho bitch that really really doesn't like Matoi because she made her look old. Oh yeah, and almost killed her and took away a great deal of her power. But making her old was definitely the worst part.

Kondibon
Apr 24, 2015, 10:24 PM
Technically speaking, didn't Xion go that route? I don't remember anything implying Xion was a potential host for falz, only that luther wanted to use her to attain omniscience.

EspeonageTieler
Apr 25, 2015, 01:18 AM
wait when did matoi flip out i just remember her holding her head or something