PDA

View Full Version : Pso2 on a MacBook air 2012

Ark01000
Apr 27, 2015, 03:38 AM
Hi I'm planning on getting a MacBook air for school and befor anyone says anything I know macs are not the best for gaming but I want something I will be able to use for university as well. I have a budget of £500 and wold prefer less but if anyone has any good laptops for gaming and school than please le me know. still will it work and on what settings. thx in advice.

landman
Apr 27, 2015, 04:07 AM
You have a low budget and you go for a mac? something seems wrong here...

wefwq
Apr 27, 2015, 04:10 AM
Get real gaymen laptop bud.
You'll completelly regret it playing PSO2 on your expensive toy.

Ark01000
Apr 27, 2015, 05:30 AM
I said I was up for suggesting but I also need it for school as I need to do a lot of editing for art and graphics. I was suggested to get a Mac by some people in my class but I do still want to play pso2.

Halikus
Apr 27, 2015, 05:38 AM
PSO2 on a mac sounds like a bad call, its not compatible with macOS at any level so you will need to emulate windows which is going to make the performance sub par at best as emulating os does slow things down, assuming it even works.

I'l be frank, £500 is not going to buy you anything in a laptop format that will play pso in anything more than lowest settings at a lowish res at rubbish framerate. You will need a half decent graphics processor to do this.

Better hope someone is selling a gaming laptop secondhand in your price range.

landman
Apr 27, 2015, 07:03 AM
Editing of image an video exist in all OS, it's not an OSx exclusivity.

Ordy
Apr 27, 2015, 07:33 AM
PSO2 on a mac sounds like a bad call, its not compatible with macOS at any level so you will need to emulate windows which is going to make the performance sub par at best as emulating os does slow things down, assuming it even works.

I'l be frank, £500 is not going to buy you anything in a laptop format that will play pso in anything more than lowest settings at a lowish res at rubbish framerate. You will need a half decent graphics processor to do this.

Better hope someone is selling a gaming laptop secondhand in your price range.

£500, that's $700 USD, I'm sure you can get a decent lenovo for $700 that will let you run PSO2 at 720p with normal settings ... but if we are talking mac, then you'd probably have to spend 300 extra bucks to get the same hardware specs lol

Selphea
Apr 27, 2015, 08:09 AM
Even for editing graphics, a Macbook Air isn't powerful enough to do it quickly, especially not with 3yo hardware. Either get a Macbook Pro or go with a Windows-based laptop.

On Amazon UK I'd probably go with either this (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-Z50-15-6-inch-Notebook-Black/dp/B00O8SDRKK/3) or this (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-Satellite-L50-B-1P0-i5-4150U-Graphics/dp/B00NNRR9XI/)

Halikus
Apr 27, 2015, 09:33 AM
In the UK you will stuggle to get an i5 with dedicated gfx on that budget. Just don't for the love of god buy anything with AMD cpu as those things are sucky unless you have their top chips. AMD HATERS UNITE!!!

That Tosh Selphia posted dont look too bad for the money despite being quite dated.

ArcaneTechs
Apr 27, 2015, 09:05 PM
I was suggested to get a Mac by some people in my class but I do still want to play pso2.
not to fan more flames to the PC vs Mac wars but uh pretty much ya, it's like all Apple products are good for.....art......but PC can do so much and better without having to become a pricey paper weight in less than a few years....or year

Superia
Apr 27, 2015, 09:16 PM
I said I was up for suggesting but I also need it for school as I need to do a lot of editing for art and graphics. I was suggested to get a Mac by some people in my class but I do still want to play pso2.

I did not read the comments so someone might have said this already, but there is no inherent advantage in using an Apple computer for artistic purposes, unless you personally find the system ergonomically or aesthetically superior. Equivalent or superior editing software is available for Windows (which extends to Linux operating systems) focused hardware. Additionally, Apple hardware (portable hardware, especially) is more expensive in general than statistically-equivalent PCs, so I am not sure why someone would have told a person on a budget that a Mac would be their best bet other than due to the common rumor that they somehow excel at art.

Magicks
Apr 27, 2015, 09:19 PM
I'm not even mad about the whole Mac vs. PC thing. If you can only afford one, and you need it for school/work/art/programmingthing, then go ahead. But please for the love of god, don't get an Air if you're going to game on it. I've tried that before when I was bored and nothing better to do at school, and not only does it not have enough power to run large games, but the laptop got extremely hot. (It's my own paranoia that since there isn't that much vent space in the Air in the first place, by having it run at high temperatures it's going to damage it's performance overtime. Of course, I haven't had that problem yet, but I don't game on it either.)

If you were to game on a Mac (or doing something super heavy like video editing or something along the lines of that), I'd suggest to at least get a Macbook Pro.

EDIT:

I did not read the comments so someone might have said this already, but there is no inherent advantage in using an Apple computer for artistic purposes, unless you personally find the system ergonomically or aesthetically superior. Equivalent or superior editing software is available for Windows (which extends to Linux operating systems) focused hardware. Additionally, Apple hardware (portable hardware, especially) is more expensive in general than statistically-equivalent PCs, so I am not sure why someone would have told a person on a budget that a Mac would be their best bet other than due to the common rumor that they somehow excel at art.

Well, as someone who owns both, it's true that I can probably find programs that are as good or superior on Windows. But I just like the iOS more for some reason when it comes to trying to be productive. If he really likes the OS, then that's most likely the deciding factor if he buys a Windows laptop or an Apple laptop.

ShinKai
Apr 27, 2015, 09:24 PM
I got a Macbook Pro for my school, but still wanted to play PSO2 as well. So, I put bootcamp on it and gave it a whirl.

PSO2 does not like Macs. I ran it with the lowest settings and it ran satisfactory at first. I had frame drops when it loaded things, but when everything was loaded, I could play. But it lagged more and more after every 6+ gig update.

A year or so ago, I'd say you might be able to manage it with a good Macbook Pro. Now with Episode III out and all, I'd say it probably can't handle it. Especially not a Macbook Air.

That Mac is now specifically for drawing purposes as it should be. Hopefully this gives a little insight.