PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia drivers 352.86 may cause PSO2 black screen on startup (and possibly more)

TaigaUC
May 20, 2015, 11:21 PM
I installed the new Nvidia video card drivers yesterday.
Rebooted today (or more accurately, Bluestacks + PSO2 locked the PC again despite registry tweak).
Suddenly found that PSO2 startup stops at a black screen with the cursor frozen.
I could still hear the menu sounds, but nothing visible onscreen.

Tried deleting Gameguard, user.pso2, did a file check, etc. Nothing.
Rolled back video card drivers, and it immediately worked.

So, I thought I should warn people, in case they run into the same problem.

Edit: final_attack says this problem can occur when updating Nvidia drivers, and that reinstalling them should fix it.
Edit2: Reinstalling didn't work for me, same problem.

For people who have already updated to 352.86 and want to play the game, you can roll-back your video driver.

Go to Start > Control Panel > Device Manager.
Double-click Display Adapters > Your NVIDIA Graphics Card.
Go to the Driver tab > Roll-Back Driver > Click Confirm.
Start PSO2.

Your game should be running just like it used to before the latest driver update afterwards. Hope that helps~ ^^

emeraude
May 20, 2015, 11:23 PM
And I was about to update my drivers. Lol thanks

final_attack
May 20, 2015, 11:23 PM
Oh btw, tried re-installing driver? :o

I got this kind of problem before (not latest driver atm), and it happen just by opening PSO2, not with other programs .... fresh install drivers and it start working again :o

TaigaUC
May 20, 2015, 11:35 PM
No, but thanks for the suggestion. Will update the main post with that.
I'll probably just wait for the next drivers because I'm lazy to test.

final_attack
May 20, 2015, 11:38 PM
Well, I'll try installing it now then :D

Thanks for the info ^^ Haven't checked drivers for some time ^^;

Note : I'll report back later. Took quite some time just to download drivers for me ^^;

Nyansan
May 20, 2015, 11:43 PM
Strange, 352.86 is working fine for me. Although I installed drivers coming off from a fresh install of Windows. Well, you could always hit "rollback driver" on your card at device manager.

Sizustar
May 20, 2015, 11:45 PM
Well, generally, if you update driver, it's better to do a clean install, aka. Turn off any overclock, uninstall all driver and related stuff on the previous driver, then install

Or use DDU to uninstall previous driver, then reinstall the current driver.
http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

But this driver seems really buggy, even going by Nvidia's forum
But that's been the case with the 350 serie driver, its been causing alot of problem.
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/832749/geforce-drivers/official-nvidia-352-86-whql-game-ready-display-driver-feedback-thread-released-5-18-15-/

But for me personally, the 352.86 was buggy, causeing desktop reboot, even after a clean install, and lower FPS then before, and my OC not working under it.

Stickboy
May 20, 2015, 11:56 PM
i thought it was just me. the fps lag is being super annoying

does anyone has any result after doing fresh reinstall?

TaigaUC
May 20, 2015, 11:56 PM
Thanks for more info. Seems there's legitimate reason for various concerns with the new drivers.

I tried reinstalling and had the same issue. Too lazy to do a clean install though.

Sizustar
May 21, 2015, 12:16 AM
i thought it was just me. the fps lag is being super annoying

does anyone has any result after doing fresh reinstall?

Everyone might have different result, so if you don't see any improvemnt with this one, go back to an earlier driver that has no problem for you.

Use DDU that I linked in the previous post to uninstall all trace of the current driver.

Touka
May 21, 2015, 01:34 AM
Clean installed it,no real problems atm.Fps are fine on my geforce gtx 770.

Korazenn
May 21, 2015, 02:01 AM
For people who have already updated to 352.86 and want to play the game, you can roll-back your video driver.

Go to Start > Control Panel > Device Manager.
Double-click Display Adapters > Your NVIDIA Graphics Card.
Go to the Driver tab > Roll-Back Driver > Click Confirm.
Start PSO2.

Your game should be running just like it used to before the latest driver update afterwards. Hope that helps~ ^^

TaigaUC
May 21, 2015, 04:23 AM
Forgot to add those instructions. Thanks.

final_attack
May 21, 2015, 06:33 AM
Doesn't feel to have any defect after installing latest driver here (tried PSO2 and 1 other online game) o-o

Both with Bluestacks on the background o-o

Edit : I tick'ed(?) Perform Clean Install when installing via GeForce Experience o-o

Chou-Chou
May 21, 2015, 11:30 AM
I had a black screen but that was only because I forgot to have the Tweaker tool check for updates before playing it (you would think it should do this on it's own) and after all updates where done I was able to play fine without a black screen.

So no the newest Nvidia drivers aren't the cause of the black screen it's got to be something else on the OPs end.

wefwq
May 23, 2015, 02:23 PM
I installed the latest version of NVIDIA driver today (352.86), and there's no problem on my end.
Actually, i felt PSO2 run much smoother and more stable than before, less stuttering and slightly more stable performance on my toaster.

TaigaUC
May 23, 2015, 10:46 PM
I had a black screen but that was only because I forgot to have the Tweaker tool check for updates before playing it (you would think it should do this on it's own) and after all updates where done I was able to play fine without a black screen.

So no the newest Nvidia drivers aren't the cause of the black screen it's got to be something else on the OPs end.

Except that, as I said:
1. I've scanned the files and there's no problem.
2. The same files copied over to other PCs work fine (without driver update).
3. When I install the drivers (with/without reboot), I get black screen.
4. When I roll back the drivers (with/without reboot) it instantly works again.

The only thing that changes in the above situation is the drivers.
So, it's related to the drivers in some way.

There's a reason the thread title says "may cause" instead of "causes".
Computer problems are complex because everyone's setup is different.
Instead of dismissing the issue as absolutely being something on my end, it would be better to accept the possibility that other people may run into the same issue.

Just because it runs fine for you doesn't guarantee that it'll run fine for everyone else, and vice versa.
This thread exists to warn people in case they run into the same issue and can't figure out what it is, because quite frankly, it could be anything.
I'm trying to help people by saving them the time of isolating the cause themselves.

Sizustar
May 31, 2015, 11:24 PM
Nvidia has a new driver out
http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/85823/en-us

But it still doesn't seem to fix the Hw accelsartion issue that people have.

TaigaUC
Jun 1, 2015, 12:15 AM
About the previous drivers, I did a clean/fresh install and it seems to have fixed the issue from before.
It wasn't my profiles because I imported the old profiles and no problem.

Haven't tried the newest ones yet.

Sizustar
Jun 1, 2015, 12:31 AM
About the previous drivers, I did a clean/fresh install and it seems to have fixed the issue from before.
It wasn't my profiles because I imported the old profiles and no problem.

Haven't tried the newest ones yet.

Try it with a clean install.

The problem seems to be Nvidia did something new for HW accleration in preparation for Window 10
But that's causing problem with Mozilla Firefox and Google chrome, when the browser, and other program try to use HW acclerationi to help itself.

Also, this update is supposed to be the Kepler optomization.
So if you're running a GTX 9XX serie, you shouldn't see much change, but if you're using the GTX 7XX serie, you should.

TaigaUC
Jun 1, 2015, 01:52 AM
Hmm, okay. Thanks.
I recently got a 970, so Maxwell.

Sizustar
Jun 1, 2015, 02:10 AM
Hmm, okay. Thanks.
I recently got a 970, so Maxwell.

Then, this quick fix shouldn't give major change for maxwell, but supposedly it adds more option for monitor that support Gsync.

But the reason for htis release, was the fiasco of Kepler and Witcher 3.

Witcher 3 is a AAA title, that Nvidia ahd a hand in, giving them support through Nvidia technology.

But after release, when various tech site started benchmarking it, they discovered that the Kepler is actually losing to GPU that are even weaker then it, even last generation AMD GPU, and that Nvidia have not optomized the new technology for Kepler, which was what this is supposed to do.

TaigaUC
Jun 1, 2015, 10:38 AM
Yeah, I heard about that. There's that stuff about Gameworks messing with ATI too.