PDA

View Full Version : What's the most challenging thing you can come up with using only existing mechanics?

Maenara
May 24, 2015, 12:31 AM
Like the title says, what's the most challenging content you can come up with, without resorting to inventing new mechanics? Also, comment on other people's ideas, explaining how you might tackle their challenge. Keep your challenges at a reasonable level too! No one would enjoy a literally impossible trial!

Examples:
-----
Extreme quest stage:
-Stage size: Medium
-Electric field trial
-Enemies: Diabo Igrythis + Vomos Brodothys + Folginis x32
-Order: Without taking damage: Defeat 25 enemies from behind within 100 seconds!
-----
Boss fight:
-4 players
-Versus: Magatsu Sai w/ no AIS or jump boost. Add several jump pads to Magatsu Sai arena for feasibility.
-----
Etcetera!

EvilMag
May 24, 2015, 12:56 AM
Tower Defense with nothing but Ultimate Malmoths.

Kondibon
May 24, 2015, 01:06 AM
If it doesn't have to be completable... TD. 13 towers. All towers have <1000 hp. Fail if one tower is destroyed. Nothing but hundreds of predicadas.

yoshiblue
May 24, 2015, 01:09 AM
C-Mode:

100x the Amduscia TA platforming over fields of lava and pitfalls that spawn monsters/bosses.

EvilMag
May 24, 2015, 01:10 AM
If it doesn't have to be completable... TD. 13 towers. All towers have <1000 hp. Fail if one tower is destroyed. Nothing but hundreds of predicadas.

Last year I suggested a 2000% Drop boost for TD1 or 2...but you have to deal with 2000% HP and Atk boost on every single wave. This idea popped up in my mind after that Falz we had where we had to 20x as many arms.

Maenara
May 24, 2015, 01:13 AM

How far apart are these towers? If they're pretty far apart...plsno

Maenara
May 24, 2015, 05:18 AM
Extreme quest stage:
-Stage size: Small
-Enemies: Haze Draal* + Chrome Dragon* + Luda Sorceror x8
-Order: Break 22 Luda Sorceror parts within 35 seconds!
*Both dragons spawn with one part missing so they both immediately spawn more darkers.

Natsu Nem
May 24, 2015, 06:30 AM
-Prefixed infected Anga Fundarge x3
-Dark Falz Luther x1
-12 players
-All players have heal dampening
-Very high strike, ranged, and tech resistance for Angas in addition to their weapon resist mechanic
-Baize poison rain
-No moons allowed
-Defeat all enemies

Saffran
May 24, 2015, 06:37 AM
Simply the Amduscia TA mission, but you fail it if you killed a dragonkin. And lava actually kills you on touch, like it always should have.
Or the Lillipa TA, but you have to press all the switches to enclose back all the flammable fuel so that none of the barrels explodes.

kgrc199913
May 24, 2015, 06:41 AM
TD with Dark Falz and Luther ?

Selphea
May 24, 2015, 06:43 AM
TD: Harukotan Edition with Magatsus using their grope attack and face bombs on towers... and you have to kill them while Magatsu Sai is in the center doing its spinning red blades attack.

Poyonche
May 24, 2015, 07:02 AM
What about :

Emergency contact to all ARKS members.
We have confirmed a massive darker presence around the primary mining base of Lillipa (1 big tower).
Based on those readings, it looks like [Elder], [Loser], [Double] and [Apprentice] have appeared and are attacking the base. It is a despairing situation as the tower is in a pityful state (you spawn the base is almost done for). However, you should not give up, use the newly developped 1* weapons and repel the Dark Falzes and their respective darkers (aquatics, birds, toys (though there are only 3 of them) and insects)!

Success : Complete the 15 waves
Failure : The base is destroyed

When you enter the quest : You go down to level 1 as a "Challenger". You have Break Stance, Wise Stance, Guard Stance, Freeze and Poison Ignition and Mirage Shot.

wahahaha
May 24, 2015, 07:17 AM
No iron will
FI/HU only
Knuckles only VS Anga & DF's

Destinación Final.

monkeyscythe
May 24, 2015, 11:51 AM
A jump puzzle

cheapgunner
May 24, 2015, 12:48 PM
Loser's Boss Room.

4 Ultimate Del Malmoths
Continuous Poison Floor
Enemy HP and Atk Up: 40%

No Units + a 5 Minute Time Limit. Gogogogo!

Maenara
May 24, 2015, 01:37 PM
Keep your challenges at a reasonable level too! No one would enjoy a literally impossible trial!

So we're just ignoring this now?

yoshiblue
May 24, 2015, 01:39 PM
Seeing as how tiny cube platforming in Gary's Mod was a thing, I see no issue with my suggestion.

Maenara
May 24, 2015, 01:47 PM
Seeing as how tiny cube platforming in Gary's Mod was a thing, I see no issue with my suggestion.

It wasn't yours I was taking issue with.

TheszNuts
May 24, 2015, 01:51 PM
Since we seen what its like fighting clones, how about a mode where friendly fire is enabled?

Poyonche
May 24, 2015, 03:20 PM
Okay so take mine but remove the challenger thing and reduce waves number. So it would be :

Emergency contact to all ARKS members.
We have confirmed a massive darker presence around the primary mining base of Lillipa (1 big tower).
Based on those readings, it looks like [Elder], [Loser], [Double] and [Apprentice] have appeared and are attacking the base. It is a despairing situation as the tower is in a pityful state (you spawn the base is almost done for). However, you should not give up, use the newly developped 1* weapons and repel the Dark Falzes and their respective darkers (aquatics, birds, toys (though there are only 3 of them) and insects)!

Success : Complete the 10 waves
Failure : The base is destroyed

The Dark Falzes would appear under their "Hunar" form.

Maenara
May 24, 2015, 03:30 PM
Since we seen what its like fighting clones, how about a mode where friendly fire is enabled?

I had an idea where we would have a base defense where clones of the entire MPA spawn as a boss for some waves ... but instead of going after the towers, the clones would run to infected defense sockets, summoning a new boss if they succeed: Corrupt A.I.S.. This is inventing a new mechanic though, so it doesn't really fit in with this topic.

Noblewine
May 24, 2015, 10:31 PM
Missions like GAM from PSU. Level restriction/job class restrictions/equipment restrictions.

brandoncyz
May 24, 2015, 11:29 PM
emergency code: disaster, defeat 5 agna fangres and an falz elder , and be able to avoid 25 gel wulfs
. kill within 12minutes.

make it EVERYTHING >:O

PrinceBrightstar
May 24, 2015, 11:34 PM
Bullet Hell style shooter using AIS, 1 hit kills you.

Korazenn
May 25, 2015, 12:34 AM
Dark Falz Luther on Extra Hard solo. Yes, it is possible. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo-U4na-DLs)

I'd like to be able to manage to solo any type of Emergency and Ultimate Quest on any difficulty one day, and I'm also interested in the entire leaderboard system that PSO2 has as well for Interrupt Rankings, TAs, and CQs. It's amazing seeing the results of people who can manage to complete Challenge Quest in low-man runs (4p and below) as well as any of the types of quests above during solo play on XH as well. I really can't wait to see the day that a 4p party gets a perfect clear in CQ! ^^

Anyways, back to Dark Falz Luther. Unlike the rest of the bosses in the game, I feel he is one of the few that lives up to the charm that the original Phantasy Star Online had which makes fighting him so much fun. I plan to do low-man runs first before delving fully into solo runs on him, but I'll surely be practicing on lower difficulties before even thinking about soloing him on Extra Hard.

As for the challenge itself, I'd say using any class combo that doesn't have Gunner in it on Dark Falz Luther would be another way to build up the intensity on solo play for XH.

Shinmarizu
May 25, 2015, 11:18 AM
Hm...

TD Gauntlet. Play each TD in succession, followed by a "TD4". Mobs are at Lv 80, and have NO innate weaknesses. Mobs immune to Ultimate Buster.

All waves in all TDs should have more variations with respect to the mobs that spawn. Learn to adapt. Patterns make things too easy.

Point requirements for support functions (heals, barriers, AIS) are dramatically increased; must employ teamwork for both defense and crystal collecting.

Must clear the first mission before engaging the next one. If your MPA fails, the quest ends and cannot be retaken. Point counter resets for each mission. No access to shop or item storage during the entire quest.

Possible edit to TD3: only 2 AIS available, instead of 3. Include Yuga Darkers.

TD4 consists of:
Large square map, ONE tower. All Darkers proceed to go nuts.
At most, 3 AIS, 3 heals and 3 barriers per person. Naturally, this will require resource management. Same conditions as above.
***If your MPA lost any towers in the preceding TDs, these resources are reduced accordingly.***

Introduce Darker-clones of your MPA (fully capable, same gear, same skills) with access to Corrupted AIS.
12 Waves, which include multiple Darker Bosses, including Hunar, Engel, etc. Last wave should be a clusterfuck.

No wave rewards; no crystal drops until the end of TD4. Need to stick with the entire thing to get your drops.

Oh, and one last thing: no compromises to difficulty. Only available on XH. No excuses, no nerfs, no whining. Need to be good as individuals and as a group.

Good luck.

kgrc199913
May 25, 2015, 11:53 AM
i think challenge is something we can do, just take more time, skill, not something impossible to do :c

Poyonche
May 25, 2015, 11:59 AM
Don't wanted to quote the whole thing lel

Please Sega, add this for TD4.

I would add TD4 constantly under "Extreme Danger" status. TD3 "Extreme Danger" from 2nd Ragne spawn ( Wave 5) to Final Wave.

Z-0
May 25, 2015, 12:01 PM
Clear Challenge Mode 2P. _(:3」Why make up something new when you could do something challenging right now?

Chdata
May 25, 2015, 02:33 PM
TD with fists and no armor

did i win

Poyonche
May 25, 2015, 03:19 PM
TD with fists and no armor

did i win

Mmh maybe, it would take 12 players for a Goldradha lel

Superia
May 25, 2015, 03:46 PM
Clear Challenge Mode 2P. _(:3」Why make up something new when you could do something challenging right now?

"Challenge Mode" is more like "time consuming mode" unless you are soloing/playing with a small number of players, in which case it is better described as "extremely time consuming mode except with RNG". If it were like speedrunning some other game where the challenge is the innate difficulty of playing it, maybe I could consider CM to deserve that name.

As for why people would imagine something new rather than play the game as it is, I presume that it is due to some group of people finding that entertaining for whatever reason(s).

Maenara
May 25, 2015, 04:35 PM
Hm...

TD Gauntlet. Play each TD in succession, followed by a "TD4". Mobs are at Lv 80, and have NO innate weaknesses. Mobs immune to Ultimate Buster.

All waves in all TDs should have more variations with respect to the mobs that spawn. Learn to adapt. Patterns make things too easy.

Point requirements for support functions (heals, barriers, AIS) are dramatically increased; must employ teamwork for both defense and crystal collecting.

Must clear the first mission before engaging the next one. If your MPA fails, the quest ends and cannot be retaken. Point counter resets for each mission. No access to shop or item storage during the entire quest.

Possible edit to TD3: only 2 AIS available, instead of 3. Include Yuga Darkers.

TD4 consists of:
Large square map, ONE tower. All Darkers proceed to go nuts.
At most, 3 AIS, 3 heals and 3 barriers per person. Naturally, this will require resource management. Same conditions as above.
***If your MPA lost any towers in the preceding TDs, these resources are reduced accordingly.***

Introduce Darker-clones of your MPA (fully capable, same gear, same skills) with access to Corrupted AIS.
12 Waves, which include multiple Darker Bosses, including Hunar, Engel, etc. Last wave should be a clusterfuck.

No wave rewards; no crystal drops until the end of TD4. Need to stick with the entire thing to get your drops.

Oh, and one last thing: no compromises to difficulty. Only available on XH. No excuses, no nerfs, no whining. Need to be good as individuals and as a group.

Good luck.

Please Sega, add this for TD4.

I would add TD4 constantly under "Extreme Danger" status. TD3 "Extreme Danger" from 2nd Ragne spawn ( Wave 5) to Final Wave.

Kind of off-topic, but a fourth Base Defense quest is actually already in the works, it was recently datamined, and has 8 waves and AIS.

Poyonche
May 25, 2015, 04:43 PM
Moreover, the EQ notification is something like "going from Invasion to Intrusion or Invasion to Despair". Don't know what it is supposed to mean though. But that is off-topic.