PDA

View Full Version : Laptop shutting off during gameplay after patch

Calamity
May 27, 2015, 09:45 PM
Is it my compute or did the patch mess up ? When I start the game up the game guard thing seks me to send a report like something's wrong but the game will start up anyways . I've tested it to see if it'll shut down while im jus sitting In the lobby and it didn't shut down till I started running around again . Anyone know what to do ?

AlphaBlob
May 27, 2015, 09:48 PM
Sound like a overheating issue, what are your specs?

Calamity
May 27, 2015, 09:50 PM
Not sure it was running fine yesterday and I turn the overheat shut down to passive so it shouldn't be that

Anduril
May 27, 2015, 10:23 PM
Like suddenly shutting down, or blue screening?
If it's the the former, it might be overheating.
If the later, it could be a Gameguard related problem, so try going to Troubleshooting in the Tweaker and use Fix Gameguard Errors.

ShinKai
May 28, 2015, 10:18 AM
Maybe try investing in a nice laptop fan that keeps the bottom cool. My old Mac had a similar problem with heat. I'd think setting the overheat shutdown to passive would hurt it, rather than help in most cases. If the computer's overheating, it needs to cool off. If it doesn't, the problem will just get worse.

Hope your problem gets fixed.

reaper527
May 29, 2015, 03:04 PM
sounds heat related to me. try downloading heavyload here:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/heavyload.html

and let that run for while. see if this program reproduces your random shutdowns. (it's basically a program that stresses various components of your system). if it shuts down there, try again and put your hands near the vents in your laptop while its running (don't block them, you are just checking to see if air is coming out). it's possible you might have a dead fan somewhere in your computer.

Calamity
May 29, 2015, 04:58 PM
I'm pretty sure one of the fans is broke , what would I need to do to get that fixed cheap?

Krazeur
May 29, 2015, 05:05 PM
Most common issues for laptops shutting down like the others stated is due to over heating. Even if you have turned it to passive. Most motherboards will shut down to prevent cpu damage.
And with you believing one of the fans is faulty, that also supports the case. Depending on the make and model of the laptop and if it's within warranty; it's best to get hold of the manufacture. Or e-bay for spares if you know the serial and model numbers. Replacing most things hardware related is pretty straight forward but if you are inexperienced it's probably best left to those who know what they are doing.

For the meantime I'd suggest what ShinKai had said and invest in a cooling pad. At least this will get you some use before you finally get the fan replaced. And who knows, it may even be a cheaper option if whoever you've gone to charge for having it fixed.

ShinKai
May 29, 2015, 05:08 PM
It being a laptop, it's probably a tad difficult to open and fix yourself. Sending it to the geek squad is an option, but I have no idea how much they charge. Laptops are usually made assuming the user won't open it up and customize it.

The only thing I'd be able to recommend is to get an external laptop fan. They usually plug into one of your laptop's usb ports for power, and act as a mini table that will also cool it's under carrage.

Maybe someone else can help you if neither of those solutions are viable.

EDIT: What Krazeur said. lol

Aeris
May 30, 2015, 07:13 AM
Laptops shut down due to a overheating gpu or cpu once the temp on either hits a threshold or TJ Max to prevent damage to them, its there for a reason, only way to tell if the fan isn't running is to open up a panel that is screwed down under your laptop and turn it on and see if the fan is working properly, but i wouldn't bother opening up your laptop unless you look online for your model to see how you can open it up and knowing what you're doing, don't ever run a laptop with the internal fan(s) not working or without one, it will overheat very quickly once either the gpu or cpu gets a load putted on it resulting in shutting down again, also that fan that might me part of the heatsink does get clogged with dust like as any computer does and it needs cleaning or thermal paste drying out and that needs to be redone.

Lostbob117
May 30, 2015, 10:40 AM
Another thing you can do is make sure your power option is on "Balanced" instead of "High Performance". You can do this by going to the Power Options in the Control Panel. However, your best bet is still the cooling pad.