PDA

View Full Version : PC FPS issues

xBM
Jun 14, 2015, 10:27 PM
Hello everyone,

I just downloaded PSO2 today and got everything working properly on my new computer (just reinstalled OS)
I've played this game around March last year but my old computer had a disk crash so I had to buy new one that's better than the old one.
Everything goes quite smooth on the old computer (shaders off, everything on low settings) FPS is also smooth but only hiccups when there's a huge EQ going on.

On this new computer, it seems like I lag quite a lot (fps) even though it's supposed to be a more powerful computer than the old one. Every setting is set to low, shaders are off, but I seem to be getting this frame skip lag or something. It's a really weird lag. I don't know if it's because of the lobby graphic update or something, but everytime I walk, I would have a stutter for a few seconds, mostly when there is a lot of people. The model loading for NPC's seems to be affecting my fps too.

Here is my new computer specs:

Product Number: HP 15-r110dx
GPU: Intel HD 4400 Integrated Graphics
CPU: Intel Core i5-4210U Dual Core
RAM: 6GB

And here is my old computer specs:

GPU: Radeon HD 6620G Integrated Graphics
CPU: AMD A8-3500M Quad Core
RAM: 4GB

I really have no idea why I'm getting this FPS lag, I could run Warframe at medium settings with around 40-55 FPS without any stutter, every other games also doesn't stutter as bad as PSO2.
I would be really glad if someone could help me know why I'm getting this weird lag/stutter issues.

PS. Can't post the link of the video because I just recently made this account, but if you want to see what I'm talking about, here is the URL: /watch?v=UtX1vHqLRTo

wefwq
Jun 14, 2015, 11:14 PM
The game are horribly optimized, i run it on ASUS K46CB and had a lot of lag during EQ or being in populated lobby all the time, too.
I can run few modern games on medium to high settings with almost no problem, it's just PSO2 has a really bad stuttering issue for some reason.

From what i seen on the video, uh it's kinda feels normal at least for me since i have to deal with that shit all the time.
The game will lose frame when it's loading texture (NPC, weapon, other stuff), however you can slightly reduce the lag by disabling windows visual effects, or try to defrag your drive.
I run it with shaders turned ON, but for some reason the lag will stay intact when i using simple shaders, it'll still lag when the game try to load stuff, my guess is try to get a better HDD to remedy the problem.

And in the old, dark days im used to run this on ASUS A43E IntelHD3000.
My other suggestion is try to keep your toaster around 80C, the game will starting to dip when your toaster hits 88C.

xBM
Jun 14, 2015, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the reply,

I could also run the game with shaders and I get a decent fps with everyone spamming photon blasts or photon arts (the stutter issues are still there though.) Also, I tried doing the defrag and it helped a little on starting up the game right after the defrag is finished. Now it's back to the normal stutter issues after opening and closing the client a few times. And my temps are actually just fine when I run PSO2 actually, it only goes up to around 63-70°C.

Also, I always thought this game is really optimized for some reason. Probably because of the futuristic feel of the game.

Btw, the game was run on windowed mode with shaders off on the video. I really could feel the stutter and it's preventing me enjoying this awesome game...

Stickboy
Jun 14, 2015, 11:56 PM
ppl swapping weapons can lag you, so yeah

xBM
Jun 15, 2015, 12:16 AM
No, I'm certain that's not the case. This stutter happens on lobby or on quests. It even happens when I am with bots. So the weapon swap lag is not the problem (I never experienced this weapon switch lag too ever)

wefwq
Jun 15, 2015, 05:01 AM
Despite wide graphic options that can be toggled on and off, the game itself are far from optimized.
You can just test, play the other game that look more beautiful and can still run better than PSO2.
Despite using CUDA runtime, the game does not takes the full advantage off it (NVIDYA GPU), and the way the game handle memory usage and allocation are just horrible, the worst part is that they expect the game live for a decade.

Also, some tip: the game will run with less lag on fullscreen (even more smooth if you can force vsync somehow) BUT expect random crash here and there, since both game executable and gameguard will cockblock you from having fun.

xBM
Jun 15, 2015, 09:51 PM
I tried running PSO2 with the highest graphics settings available and surprisingly, it's still playable (I don't know how it will handle EQs or multi-party quests though.) The stutter was still there. I also tried lowering the resolution as low as possible with max settings (800x600 resolution) and it increased my FPS even more, but the stutter issue is still there.

Looks like I just need an even more powerful graphics card for this game. I'll just try to get used to this stutter eventually.

wefwq
Jun 15, 2015, 10:02 PM
Looks like I just need an even more powerful graphics card for this game. I'll just try to get used to this stutter eventually.
The exact same thought i had back then but it's still bugging me from time to time since those stutter will mess with JA window and dodge timing, it also mess with weapon switching.