PDA

View Full Version : Gamepad or Keyboard+Mouse?

ChaosAngel92
Jul 16, 2015, 05:56 PM
Almost by accident, I've started using my Xbox 360 controller instead of the Kyboard+Mouse combination. Some time ago I used to think using any kind of external controller on this game was a bit rubbish, since soon or later you return to the keyboard in order to chat (plus, you have all the num key shortcuts). But then, I was kinda forced to use it...and oh my god, I have never felt so alive! It is amazing how much more satisfying is the beat system when you press a button rather than the clicking on the mouse. Now that I think about ti, it makes much more sense using a Gamepad rather than a Keyboard, since all the PS series have always been designed to be console friendly (except PSO2).

So, what do you preffer? What kind of controller makes you feel the game in its full glory?

If you haven't tried using a gamepad on PSO2 and you have a spare controller you may want to try it.

ShinMegamiSensei
Jul 16, 2015, 06:05 PM
Free direction of movement, easy lock on, I think it's great for anything other than the "Z" viewing mode. I just reach over to the mouse for that.

Easier to pick up items and move at the same time, just so much things feel more fluid with controller.

RibbonSoft
Jul 16, 2015, 06:06 PM
Interesting. I play with a controller but not because it flows better. I don't believe you can walk with a keyboard set up and I like to watch my character swing her hips with that bubble butt (not fat ass, there's a difference) of hers, lol. Where's dat ass slider SEGA!???

The game does run surprising well with a controller. However, I don't have enough buttons on mine to put all of the functions I want on it, hence a keyboard is superior in that regards. For example, switching palettes is a pain on a controller, but simple on a keyboard.

Oh, by the way, my controller is an ancient Logitech one modelled on a Dual Shock 2 I believe.

ShinMegamiSensei
Jul 16, 2015, 06:08 PM
Oh right, theres that. I reach over to the numpad a lot even while using controller to switch weapons and change subpallete.

Dephinix
Jul 16, 2015, 06:12 PM
Walking, all you have on controller over keyboard is walking. Walk all you want in the lobby, you casuals!

No, but seriously, KB+M>Gamepad. Picking up items hard? It's just three keys, or make a macro and now it's 2, at most.

BIG OLAF
Jul 16, 2015, 06:22 PM
Controller for me. I only like KB&M for top-down dungeon crawlers like Diablo and Torchlight, or sim/management games like Banished or whatever. Can't stand it for anything else.

I know people say you can aim better with KB&M, but not when you have shaky hands and nervous fidgets like I do.

the_importer_
Jul 16, 2015, 06:35 PM
Dual gamepads for me. Using a Dual PS2 to USB converter, I use controller 1 for my character's movement and using Xpadder, I've mapped shortcuts on the 2nd controller to switch between 6 pallet and weapons as well as 4 other buttons for sub-pallet action 7~0 (2 tree skill activation, PB and Moons).

final_attack
Jul 16, 2015, 08:00 PM
Keypad + Mouse for me :o

Though my keypad doesn't have enough buttons for use (if I played as Fo, just need 2 more >-< ) ...... Well, main reasons would be .... because I'm using Z-Mode most of the time (changed to auto-lock when targeting Vibras's head core using WB, that's it).

My brain refuse to function well in auto-lock so ...... :wacko:

used to use Keyboard + Mouse + Joystick ....... though the joystick usually for turbo function only (Panel spammer or picking up items), pressed using toes :o

Anduril
Jul 16, 2015, 09:02 PM
When I'm playing at my desk (vs my bed, where it is just controller), lately I've been doing a mouse and one-handed controller combo since I've primarily been playing my Bow Ranger in TPS mode; I have a mouse with forward and back buttons that I've mapped jump and shift to, and on the controller I have step/dodge on the left trigger with subpallete confirm on the left bumper. Movement feels really nice like that since I can move more freely with a control stick than with WASD on my rather small keyboard, and I get higher precision with the mouse over the second control stick. It can be a bit uncomfortable holding just half the controller, but it works for me.

wefwq
Jul 16, 2015, 11:54 PM
I found playing this game using gamepad pretty uncomfortable, maybe due to the keymapping and camera rotate speed, or maybe it's just because i'm already used to use KB+M layout after playing this game for over 3 years...

Still using my XB360 gamepad if i want to play on my couch or on my bed though.

saraishadow
Jul 17, 2015, 12:07 AM
Controller If I'm doing something easy
KB + M: For more serious shit.

red1228
Jul 17, 2015, 12:57 AM
Controller user here.
Sony DualShock 3 with SCP drivers. Was using Xbox 360 controllers, but I've somehow pinched the cords (despite having careful cable management) on two of them already & didn't wanna drop another $25.

I play mostly melee oriented classes (although I have ranged alts), so the [valid as it may be] argument of M+K's better Z targeting doesn't really apply to me. I DO get into some trouble when theres a crapload of targets & the game decides I need to lock onto Ragne's rear legs (despite being in front of her face), but that's just Sega's fucktarded camera control coding. I lived with it in PSU & PSportable/portable2, I can live tolerate it here.

Years of fast item cycling in Monster Hunter leave me with no trouble of using the D-pad to use my palates, so the argument of them being easier to access on Keyboard is also moot to me.

Honestly, if the PSO2 supported in-game voice chat & Sega actually bothered to fix their 15-year old Lock On mechanics (No Sega/c, I do NOT need to lock onto the target fifty feet behind the boss... I want to lock onto the weakspot RIGHT IN-FUCKING-FRONT OF ME), I wouldn't even touch the keyboard.

wefwq
Jul 17, 2015, 02:16 AM
Honestly, if the PSO2 supported in-game voice chat
They can't even keep the server stability at peak time, just glad they didn't have this or the server will explode everytime there's boosted broadcast EQ.

Dammy
Jul 17, 2015, 04:37 AM
depending on class i guess
like gamepad for melee and kb+mouse for fo and ra

Kondibon
Jul 17, 2015, 04:58 AM
I use a gamepad with Joy to Key. I pretty much only use the keyboard for when I need to type something.

ChaosAngel92
Jul 17, 2015, 12:16 PM
Honestly, if the PSO2 supported in-game voice chat & Sega actually bothered to fix their 15-year old Lock On mechanics (No Sega/c, I do NOT need to lock onto the target fifty feet behind the boss... I want to lock onto the weakspot RIGHT IN-FUCKING-FRONT OF ME), I wouldn't even touch the keyboard.

This comment is pure gold.

Sora3100
Jul 17, 2015, 02:52 PM
whenever I try using controller, I feel so gimped, using the subpalette is a pain, you can't dodge fast at all, no auto-run, etc