PDA

View Full Version : Freezing and lagging badly

desarix
Jul 26, 2015, 04:30 PM
I managed to get into the Japanese servers and created a character on ship 2. I understand that this server has a lot more English speaking players. Oh BTW how do you find a block. I don't understand the meaning of joining a block on the server for English chat.

Anyway the first mission after I created my character went well with no lag or freezing. When I tried to log back in later last night, once I exited the ship after the first quest I would constantly freeze when I moved and then it would recover a few seconds later and this persisted even when I went inside to do another mission. It was quite difficult to play like this. It was the same today too very bad and even when I was fighting I would stop in mid air and stay like that for a few seconds.

I am not using a proxy and am playing from Italy.

Is there anything that might help me reduce this problem? I have a Windows 8.1 and my computer is i7 3.70 Ghz, 16 gb RAM with a Ge Force 770 GTX and I run it at 1920x1080 resolution.

Would changing the server help since I am only 3 quests in I can delete and recreate on another server.

Thanks for any help you might extend.

desarix
Jul 27, 2015, 05:08 AM
Please move this thread to the tech support. I am sorry I made a mistake and posted it here.

isCasted
Jul 27, 2015, 07:14 AM
This game suffers from poor coding, so there's such thing as "selective client". No matter how good your PC is, you will lag at random times, and amount of lag is determined mostly at application start and at login (however, lag can randomly kick in in lobbies too. It's really random).

Try looking at freeze time when you are selecting ship and after typing a password. If you get zero freeze time at those (you can get a bit of freeze at ship select, and then none at password), you most likely got a good client. If it froze for a few seconds - restart application, try closing other programs etc. If it froze for a little while - load into lobby and look at freezing there. In empty lobbies you might get little frame drops at the start, but then bo problem. It's normal for game to stutter when there's like 100 characters around you, but stutter in empty blocks is a bad sign.

Another thing that adds lag in lobby is when game tries to download videos for lobby monitors. You can disable their playback in launcher/Tweaker, but they still will be downloaded, so it's sorta pointless in this case. Note that this only affects lobby lag and has (close to) zero impact on field gameplay.

So, yeah... SEGA likes us to suffer.

Sizustar
Jul 27, 2015, 07:26 AM
What's your internet connection?

Squal_FFVIII
Jul 27, 2015, 07:27 AM
Yup that sounds like the "bad client" problem.

I don't think there's such a thing as running the game perfectly "smooth". I always found it funny how Skyrim (another poorly coded game) manages to run way better with tons of mods to look 100 time better than pso2 but yet still runs way better lol.

My guess is that american "bad coding" is no where near as bad as Japanese bad coding or is it just a SEGA problem? =P

desarix
Jul 27, 2015, 07:48 AM
Thanks for the replies. So nice of you all.

I have ADSL and its about average 3mbps. Anyway I will try as you all suggested and restart until it gets less stuttered.

Bellion
Jul 27, 2015, 07:57 AM
I suggest you restart your computer, login once and then logout. Log back in again and play. You will experience less frame issues this way.

landman
Jul 27, 2015, 08:14 AM
I don't think the "bad client" goes from "great" to "unplayable". Maybe it's the lobby videos charging? I remember at some point those could give those symptoms, I don't know if it was fixed or not, I also moved from dsl to cable around the time. Other things to do, lower people you load on lobby, and lower shadow quality.

xBM
Jul 28, 2015, 05:13 AM
I also get freezing problems (usually only happens if I played the game for hours) and lag.

But I've played this game for quite a time now that I don't even think about it anymore.

As others have suggested, you should try re-opening the game and try to get the "good client"

The game stutters for a little bit on the opening movie when I start PSO2, and I would get horrendous lag (both latency and fps lag) that it's just so annoying to play the game. This is the "bad client"

Sometimes though, I would get the fabled "good client" and the indication if I have it is when the opening movie doesn't stutter at all. The game plays really smooth and I would get no lag at all. If I log out though, it would be back to the "bad client" again and I have to re-open the game for more than 30 minutes just to get the "good client" back.

This game is just poorly coded and optimized.

Nyansan
Jul 28, 2015, 05:39 AM
I've had same problem as OP before, but after fresh reinstall of windows, an upgrade from HDD to SSD, as well as various tweaks to remove extra processes running in concurrent with PSO2, I've found out that the freezing and overall bad lag that made MPAs practically unplayable was caused by a bad routing issue by my ISP.

I'd suggest that if you have these issues despite a decent rig, perform a tracert then call your ISP company.

Squal_FFVIII
Jul 28, 2015, 07:57 AM
I'm surprised SEGA still hasn't fixed this bullshit. Even JP players complain about the "good" and "bad" "client" problems. But my guess is that it's probably too difficult for sega to fix.

My guess is that even with a Titan X the "bad client" will bring it to it's knees.

The pc joke about "but can it run crysis doe?" should turn into "but can it run pso2 doe?" since pso2 it's downright the worse coded game i've played in recent times.

wefwq
Jul 28, 2015, 08:22 AM
I'm surprised SEGA still hasn't fixed this bullshit. Even JP players complain about the "good" and "bad" "client" problems. But my guess is that it's probably too difficult for sega to fix.

My guess is that even with a Titan X the "bad client" will bring it to it's knees.

The pc joke about "but can it run crysis doe?" should turn into "but can it run pso2 doe?" since pso2 it's downright the worse coded game i've played in recent times.
Man, i do really hope that they fix this bullshit, my toaster can run more demanding game on stable fps, but PSO2 has lots of stuttering even if i turned off almost all the graphical effects it just feels like the game are just fucking around, so far i never felt that i get the rumored legendary "good client", fuck...

But too bad, instead of trying to look and fixing the source of the mess, they just think about cutting down graphical effect more and think it'll magically fix the problem. just like when they removing chair and hope it'll reduce the server load...

desarix
Jul 28, 2015, 04:55 PM
Been trying to play again and again and tried what you guys have suggested but may be you're right it is my IP provider Fastweb. Here in Italy just be grateful things work lol better not go rock the boat and ask them to fix something they might break it completely.