PDA

View Full Version : Xbox One Chatpad will be Windows 10 compatible

landman
Aug 4, 2015, 02:11 PM
Rejoice gamepad users, a new option opens for us, this fall the chatpad for Xbox One controllers will be launched, and unlike the 360 one, this will be compatible with Windows 10.

https://twitter.com/Xbox/status/628573595799678976

http://oi58.tinypic.com/jg432f.jpg

I already got my Steam Controller pre-ordered, but this is actually tempting me...

Achelousaurus
Aug 4, 2015, 03:09 PM
X-Bone?
Is PSO2 gonna get released on new gen consoles?

Asuka~
Aug 4, 2015, 03:15 PM
I might get my hands on that...

Dark Emerald EXE
Aug 4, 2015, 03:26 PM
Will 360 wireless reciever still be compatible for controller? If so ta
Hats a big middle finger lol

the_importer_
Aug 4, 2015, 03:53 PM
X-Bone?

Xbox One controllers are PC compatible, just like the 360 controllers.

Rayden
Aug 4, 2015, 04:39 PM
...What's the point of it? I don't understand. How is this better than a keyboard?

landman
Aug 4, 2015, 04:42 PM
Because it is attached to the gamepad, and so you don't need to use the keyboard for short-cuts :wacko:

Flaoc
Aug 4, 2015, 05:40 PM
ehh dualshock 4 master race sticking with actual keyboard (for certain things i need it for still).. xbone controller is also inferior to the xbox 360 controller in feel

The Walrus
Aug 4, 2015, 06:16 PM
I'd rather just use an actual keyboard

Anduril
Aug 4, 2015, 06:55 PM
If I already owned an XBox One controller, this would be something nice to get. Being able to have full access to my subpalette when I'm playing on my bed instead of having to scroll through it with the D-pad would be nice. If only the XBox 360 one worked on PC.

wefwq
Aug 4, 2015, 07:04 PM
http://puu.sh/jpDvl.jpg

woa woa, stay back and make way for the old, true king.

Qualia
Aug 4, 2015, 07:08 PM
xbone controller is also inferior to the xbox 360 controller in feel

blasphemy

ArcaneTechs
Aug 4, 2015, 09:01 PM
X-Bone?
Coming to N3DS this Winter

the_importer_
Aug 4, 2015, 09:10 PM
...What's the point of it? I don't understand. How is this better than a keyboard?

I play on in my living room on my Media PC, not having my bluetooth keyboard on my couch when I play this game would be nice, if I could stand this controller that is.

I remember that thing. I felt that the Wii U pad was too bulky to be a controller, imagine that thing in my hands 0_o

Skyly
Aug 4, 2015, 09:43 PM
If this will be compatible with PSO2, I might consider playing with a controller.

Tenlade
Aug 5, 2015, 12:30 AM

I wonder if there are any controller adaptors that would let you use that as an actual pc keyboard.

landman
Aug 5, 2015, 01:13 AM
Huh... I actually have a Chinese Cube to WiiU adapter (for Smash) that happens to be compatible with PC... I should try it but I kind of doubt it lol

Achelousaurus
Aug 5, 2015, 06:43 AM
Hmm.
Then I seriously don't get this topic.

While it's inconvenient to have to switch between gamepad and keyboard, using a huge gamepad that is also a keyboard is far worse.
You'll have to lay down the gamepad to type. And if it's just for extra buttons, there are plenty gamepads that have a ton of them.

landman
Aug 5, 2015, 07:24 AM
I don't want it to chat, I don't chat while fighting, I need shortcuts while fighting, I don't mind using a normal keyboard to leisurely chat, aaaand in any case... you use your thumbs to chat with this.

Azure Falcon
Aug 5, 2015, 10:09 AM
Hopefully someone will find a way to get the drivers working on Windows 7, I'd been looking into ways to get the 360 chatpad working for shortcuts recently but it'd require a number of rather hacky methods that aren't worth the effort. Just having access to quick weapon switching on a controller would be a godsend.

SHiFT-Di3S3L
Aug 5, 2015, 12:57 PM
If it'll work on Win7, that would be a nice addition to my setup. If not, well I still have a wireless keyboard, NBD.

Anduril
Aug 5, 2015, 06:29 PM
Gonna piggyback on this since it is relevant. With this chatpad coming out and my current XBox360 controller issues (I have two wired ones, one is no longer working due to a problem with the connection between the cable and the controller, and the other is just really old and has the creeping thumbstick issue as well as reduced response from the buttons), would it be worth my money to invest in an XBox One controller? To those of you who have used one, how is it versus a wired 360 controller in terms of comfort and size?

Qualia
Aug 5, 2015, 06:37 PM
Gonna piggyback on this since it is relevant. With this chatpad coming out and my current XBox360 controller issues (I have two wired ones, one is no longer working due to a problem with the connection between the cable and the controller, and the other is just really old and has the creeping thumbstick issue as well as reduced response from the buttons), would it be worth my money to invest in an XBox One controller? To those of you who have used one, how is it versus a wired 360 controller in terms of comfort and size?

Honestly, it's my favorite controller. It feels perfect! The only thing that threw my off at first was how the triggers were shaped, but you'll get used to them. Best thing is, you won't worry about cable issues ruining your controller, since you can use any micro usb/phone charging cable.

NexusAZ
Aug 6, 2015, 06:14 AM
Honestly, it's my favorite controller. It feels perfect! The only thing that threw my off at first was how the triggers were shaped, but you'll get used to them. Best thing is, you won't worry about cable issues ruining your controller, since you can use any micro usb/phone charging cable.

It was the Left and Right buttons for me. They take just a LITTLE more force, which really threw me off since I've been using a 360 controller more or less daily since the launch of the console. Outside of that, no complaints. D-pad is much better as well.

SHiFT-Di3S3L
Aug 6, 2015, 07:36 AM

if you're used to the 360 controller, then you might find the XB1 controller a bit small over long periods of play. You're going to have to take momentary breaks or your hand will cramp. My controller is a little over sensitive with the d-pad, so selecting options might be an annoyance, but it's countered by the fact that I'm relaxed on my bed while playing for long hours. It will exhibit some wear, specially if you're used to pressing the L3 stick to sprint in shooters[COD Ghosts, Destiny], it'll usually make indentations around the thumbstick hole, and the stick deadzone will also widen over time giving you the creep problem. But if you're willing to overlook the problem, it's not bad.

Anduril
Aug 21, 2015, 05:01 PM
Just wanted to bring this back up for a bit of a follow up to my previous question. I ended up getting the XBox One controller, but since I don't think I'm going to be updating my current desktop to Windows 10 any time soon, and thus won't be able to use the official chatpad, I decided to look around, and found one of these for cheap:
[spoiler-box]http://i.imgur.com/DNA1A6Il.jpg[/spoiler-box]
It's basically just a 2.4GHz wireless keyboard that gets its power directly via the connection on the bottom of the XBox One controller. It adds very little weight to the controller (mostly because it is made of relatively cheap plastic, but as long as it stays on the controller, that shouldn't matter much; plus, I got it nice and stuck in there with the controller cover), and the receiver it comes with is recognized as a proper input device in Windows 7. I've been using it the past couple of days in PSO2, and it works perfect for quick access to the sub-palette, given Direct Chat is disabled. It does add a bit of bulk considering I only use the first row of buttons, but I don't find it cumbersome; then again, I'm able to comfortably use one of the old XBox Duke controllers, so it might not be a solid solution for everybody.

Rayden
Aug 21, 2015, 07:33 PM
would it be worth my money to invest in an XBox One controller? To those of you who have used one, how is it versus a wired 360 controller in terms of comfort and size?

It seems pretty terrible to me. In fact it's unusable with how bad it is. Unlike pretty much every other controller in existence (including the Xbox 360 controller), the shoulder buttons on the Xbox One controller are hinged. What this means is that you can't press them from the inner edge or the middle, and can only really press them from the outer edge. It makes it incredibly awkward and difficult and uncomfortable to use. :(

Anduril
Aug 21, 2015, 08:50 PM
It seems pretty terrible to me. In fact it's unusable with how bad it is. Unlike pretty much every other controller in existence (including the Xbox 360 controller), the shoulder buttons on the Xbox One controller are hinged. What this means is that you can't press them from the inner edge or the middle, and can only really press them from the outer edge. It makes it incredibly awkward and difficult and uncomfortable to use. :(
I did end getting the newer model that touts improved shoulder buttons; I just tried pressing them from every possible position, and they are responding perfectly with the same "clickyness" across the entire shoulder button, even right on the hinge.

Rayden
Aug 22, 2015, 02:38 AM
Really? I would be interested in getting it if that's the case. But how can it press in the same way even on the hinge itself?

Qualia
Aug 22, 2015, 02:58 AM
Lmao did you just call a controller that you've never even tried unusable?

Rayden
Aug 22, 2015, 05:03 AM
Lmao did you just call a controller that you've never even tried unusable?
...No. I've tried the original Xbox One controller model, which is unusable for me for the reasons I described earlier. Anduril mentioned a newer improved model which I was asking about.

Totori
Aug 22, 2015, 05:07 AM
Yeah, I dunno if model's changed, but Xbox One controllers bumper buttons aren't a problem, you can really just hit them anywhere and it responds.

Anduril
Aug 22, 2015, 11:01 AM
Really? I would be interested in getting it if that's the case. But how can it press in the same way even on the hinge itself?
I'm sure you can find their design notes somewhere; it is specifically the new model that also has a 3.5mm headphone jack that they released a couple of months ago.

Here's a video of the clicky-ness; forgive the poor quality:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7SBCMls5rs

Rayden
Aug 23, 2015, 01:46 AM
Thanks for taking the time to record a video of it. I appreciate that. That looks like a huge improvement over the original model!