PDA

View Full Version : PSO2 in USA??

MAD1b
Aug 12, 2015, 07:46 AM
So... Does anybody have a real answer as to why Sega isn't releasing PSO2 in the US?

Anduril
Aug 12, 2015, 07:50 AM
At this point, the recent restructuring is most likely the reason. They no longer have the funds or resources since they are shifting focus of their international branches (such as SEGA NA) to "strengthening the Sonic brand." Before that, I imagine the relative failure of PSU and PSPo2 may have made them wary of releasing a Phantasy Star game outside of Japan.

[Ayumi]
Aug 12, 2015, 07:52 AM
At this point, the recent restructuring is most likely the reason. They no longer have the funds or resources since they are shifting focus of their international branches (such as SEGA NA) to "strengthening the Sonic brand." Before that, I imagine the relative failure of PSU and PSPo2 may have made them wary of releasing a Phantasy Star game outside of Japan.

PSP2 did bad?

Anduril
Aug 12, 2015, 07:53 AM
;3281975']PSP2 did bad?
Bad enough for them not to release PSPo2i outside of Japan.

[Ayumi]
Aug 12, 2015, 07:56 AM
Bad enough for them not to release PSPo2i outside of Japan.

Eh. I thought it wasn't released thinking no one would've wanted it due to it being on a PSP in general (still got it though, lol).

As for PSO2, I always saw it as the reason is because everyone already ran to the JPN server and majority will not be moving to the US server meaning they would just wasting/losing money for a small group that refuse to play the JPN game.

Ce'Nedra
Aug 12, 2015, 07:56 AM
PSP2 got pirated like the mad through CFW, I think that was the main reason they never released Infinity outside Japan.

[Ayumi]
Aug 12, 2015, 07:58 AM
PSP2 got pirated like the mad through CFW, I think that was the main reason they never released Infinity outside Japan.

So the licensing that came with it wasn't needed with the pirated version to play online?
I know I didn't need the license for my US copy because I already used a code on my JPN copy that seemed to work for all versions of PSP2 somehow.

Akaimizu
Aug 12, 2015, 08:01 AM
Well, nothing on PSP was selling that well, at the time. It was at the end of the lifecycle. It was a mostly abandoned platform by the time PSP2 went out, so it was bound to experience low sales.

PSU was sort of also an expected thing given it arrived to competition with a subscription model. Like all of them (who didn't provide significant enough updates with that model) it did poorly after a short time.

The problem is, like a number of Japanese companies do (without good enough ears to hear reasons from their western branches) is blame the lack of interest in the game over other more obvious external reasons for slow sales.

TaigaUC
Aug 12, 2015, 08:55 AM
If it was a matter of a previous game not selling well, they probably wouldn't have put up an EN website telling everyone PSO2 was on the way and then sitting on it for years.

Zanverse
Aug 12, 2015, 09:25 AM
Most of you guys are wrong, by the way. Just recently, there was an Anime convention in my city, and SEGA was sponsoring it. There was this guy, Yosuke Okunari, who is a SEGA Marketer, I think. He was hosting this presentation for the SEGA Hard Girls series. Anyway, my brother was there, and asked Okunari-san "When's PSO2 coming to the western areas"? Okunari-san said that he couldn't answer that.

Some girl in the crowd asked that same question, but worded differently. This time, Okunari-san's translator guy replied "I know the reason why, and it is complicated."

Later, the girl told my brother that apparently the reason for not bringing it to the western region is because of the content in the JP game. It's mostly japanese-intended content. Most of the things in PSO2, many weasterners do not know about. All the collabs, costumes, weapons, camos, etc. are all from japanese game series/animes and such.

Bringing PSO2 here would mean stripping all of that content from the game, and replacing it with western content. That's a lot of work and money for whoever PSO2 US would be under.

I truly understand why they don't want to bring PSO2 here. The differences between PSO2's atmosphere, and the standard western medieval MMMORPG atmosphere wouldn't work in my eyes, if that makes any sense.

For those that really want to play PSO2, just get the english patch...

[Ayumi]
Aug 12, 2015, 09:45 AM
Most of you guys are wrong, by the way. Just recently, there was an Anime convention in my city, and SEGA was sponsoring it. There was this guy, Yosuke Okunari, who is a SEGA Marketer, I think. He was hosting this presentation for the SEGA Hard Girls series. Anyway, my brother was there, and asked Okunari-san "When's PSO2 coming to the western areas"? Okunari-san said that he couldn't answer that.

Some girl in the crowd asked that same question, but worded differently. This time, Okunari-san's translator guy replied "I know the reason why, and it is complicated."

Later, the girl told my brother that apparently the reason for not bringing it to the western region is because of the content in the JP game. It's mostly japanese-intended content. Most of the things in PSO2, many weasterners do not know about. All the collabs, costumes, weapons, camos, etc. are all from japanese game series/animes and such.

Bringing PSO2 here would mean stripping all of that content from the game, and replacing it with western content. That's a lot of work and money for whoever PSO2 US would be under.

I truly understand why they don't want to bring PSO2 here. The differences between PSO2's atmosphere, and the standard western medieval MMMORPG atmosphere wouldn't work in my eyes, if that makes any sense.

For those that really want to play PSO2, just get the english patch...

Still sounds like my idea on it.
Those that really don't care which or what collaboration that is happening and will still get things from a collaboration they know nothing about, is already playing the game.

Those that refuse to play on the JPN server aren't going to know and probably not touch that content seeing how picky they are to play on "Non-JPN server or I'm not playing!!!"
Sega won't bother in that case and just let the foreign play on the JPN server as long as they're not being d***s

Loveless62
Aug 12, 2015, 09:57 AM
I remember when PSP2 was released that I had difficulty finding it in the stores. Apparently, Phantasy Star Portable 1 did so poorly (on top of the problems that the Sony PSP platform was having) that stores were hesitant to give PSP2 any shelf space. Given that, when I found out about PSPo2i, I was pretty certain it would have no NA release, much to my displeasure.

The amount that PSP2 was pirated probably indicates that Sega and the games stores underestimated demand for it, sadly enough.

TaigaUC
Aug 12, 2015, 10:14 AM
Pretty sure I pointed out the whole content issue a long time ago.
Seen it in other games, they end up making super boring American-ish stuff like Army/Military crap.

Renvalt
Aug 12, 2015, 10:20 AM
Seen it in other games, they end up making super boring American-ish stuff like Army/Military crap.

But see, this still pisses me off to no end.

Now I'm not sure whether to be more angry at Japan for being all silent and quiet about it, or mad at the majority of my countrymen for liking nothing but CoD/DoTA/LoL/SC/WoW/etc.

Akaimizu
Aug 12, 2015, 10:22 AM

Now I'm not sure whether to be more angry at Japan for being all silent and quiet about it, or mad at the majority of my countrymen for liking nothing but CoD/DoTA/LoL/SC/WoW/etc.

Can't be sure. There's other rather successful games (at least with a model close to PSO2) that have all kinds of similar and crazy costumes and they sell. TERA being one, for instance.

[Ayumi]
Aug 12, 2015, 10:27 AM

The majority of your countrymen. I would get mad at those.
I gave up on CoD after CoD3... which is funny as it's after CoD3 when everyone else started to like it.
DoTA, LoL, Starcrap I can't say anything about. I don't like that genre of games so I can't judge it fairly... but I wouldn't mind a collab of them as I think I've seen some costumes and items in those games from images before that I did like.

WoW I put in the same category as those that like CoD...

Can't be sure. There's other rather successful games (at least with a model close to PSO2) that have all kinds of similar and crazy costumes and they sell. TERA being one, for instance.

TERA is Sluttygirl Online. That's why.

Sizustar
Aug 12, 2015, 10:36 AM

And licensing would be a nightmare too, beside the cost to run and maintan a server.

For the collab, they'll have to get the Japanese right, VA and their studio, music, check with composer, and that's just on the Japanese side, if any of the collab are being published by another company in the US...

And most likelly Sega courted various publisher in the US to buy the right like Gamaina in Taiwan and Asiasoft in SEA region, but no one wanted it, and Sega at the time, was restructring, so they don't have the fund and manpower to publish it themself.

Ifrian-x
Aug 12, 2015, 10:44 AM
To be honest the only reason i would love a western release is that buying AC is just SO EXPENSIVE if you want to get any decent amount of it.

For the price of getting a 3 months sub and a decent amount of AC to get costumes, a few useful unlocks, a couple mags and whatnot i could buy a playstation 4

Itīs just....urgh...

[Ayumi]
Aug 12, 2015, 10:52 AM
To be honest the only reason i would love a western release is that buying AC is just SO EXPENSIVE if you want to get any decent amount of it.

For the price of getting a 3 months sub and a decent amount of AC to get costumes, a few useful unlocks, a couple mags and whatnot i could buy a playstation 4

Itīs just....urgh...

At least you would get use of it on PSO2 unlike if you got a PS4.

Akaimizu
Aug 12, 2015, 10:53 AM
;3282035']The majority of your countrymen. I would get mad at those.
I gave up on CoD after CoD3... which is funny as it's after CoD3 when everyone else started to like it.
DoTA, LoL, Starcrap I can't say anything about. I don't like that genre of games so I can't judge it fairly... but I wouldn't mind a collab of them as I think I've seen some costumes and items in those games from images before that I did like.

WoW I put in the same category as those that like CoD...

TERA is Sluttygirl Online. That's why.

Well, so much for making comparisons to PSO2's outfit choices.

landman
Aug 12, 2015, 11:12 AM
Licensed content is not core stuff... and it is not a majority of the AC stuff either, maybe the answer is they don't think they have content to attract people to spend their money (I think they don't expect even to have enough fremium players to begin with), but removing or locking content is not a problem at all. And server cost? PSO2 is running in the same machines PSOBB and PSU did...

At this point I think they either wait for a possible future PS4 port (remember, 10 years span!) since consoles are more successful in the west (fine example was PSU), or they will at most license it to someone like they did with playpark and gemania.

[Ayumi]
Aug 12, 2015, 11:29 AM
Licensed content is not core stuff... and it is not a majority of the AC stuff either, maybe the answer is they don't think they have content to attract people to spend their money (I think they don't expect even to have enough fremium players to begin with), but removing or locking content is not a problem at all. And server cost? PSO2 is running in the same machines PSOBB and PSU did...

At this point I think they either wait for a possible future PS4 port (remember, 10 years span!) since consoles are more successful in the west (fine example was PSU), or they will at most license it to someone like they did with playpark and gemania.

The majority that want to play already playing.

Very small minority refuse to play unless 100% English.

The majority already playing, the majority of those already planned to not touch the servers outside of Japan.

The majority already playing, bit by bit already got the game translated themselves.

The majority already playing, give money to the company.

The majority already playing, likes/don't care about collaboration and those that don't care already made up a lot by those that the content was made for to begin with.

In the end of the day, if I was Sega, I would do the same thing as I would see no point to release it outside of Japan.

Also, bad example to use Playpark as I rather not play a Wizard/Samurai

Kondibon
Aug 12, 2015, 11:41 AM
;3282050']The majority that want to play already playing.

Very small minority refuse to play unless 100% English.People keep saying this, but I find it really hard to believe.

Pretty much anyone I've talked to who would be interested in the game but isn't already playing didn't even know it exists.

landman
Aug 12, 2015, 11:52 AM
Only hardcore fans are playing the JP server, and... those are a minority. A game needs to attract the core player to be successful, that's the reason why most sega franchises are in limbo... because sega fans are a minority.

Rickjaemz
Aug 12, 2015, 12:28 PM
because sega fans are a minority.

I have two responses to this. With a game like Sonic Boom, what fans?

The biggest, or smallest in this case, minority would have to be Sega-NA's Advertising department.

[Ayumi]
Aug 12, 2015, 12:29 PM
People keep saying this, but I find it really hard to believe.

Pretty much anyone I've talked to who would be interested in the game but isn't already playing didn't even know it exists.

Kind of weird seeing as when PSO2 was 1st announced, everyone and their great grantmother heard about it and was interested in it without know what Phantasy Star was.
Those that wanted to play tried out the JP server and stayed (whether closed/open alpha/beta or actual release).
The others either forgot about it waiting for the non JPN copy or still waiting for a non JPN copy that they rushed to try and play the SEA version...
...only to be blocked from it.

Even funnier with the SEA version is that it was by a fluke but people noticed for the week or so that SEA had the block off that many rushed to it... just to be blocked again.
I would not have known it was unblocked for that week if it wasn't for those people.

TaigaUC
Aug 12, 2015, 12:32 PM
I dunno about being hardcore, but If I want to play a game, I will play it regardless of country.
Being able to understand JP is a plus, though.

[Ayumi]
Aug 12, 2015, 12:35 PM
I dunno about being hardcore, but If I want to play a game, I will play it regardless of country.
Being able to understand JP is a plus, though.

Yeah, me and a couple of friends rushed and got PSP2 on Dec 3rd when it 1st popped up on PSN in JPN and played it while going afk in PSU on floor 4.

Some of us didn't understand a single word, but I can safely say that everyone enjoyed it and played together on it...
...until the connection died when PSP2i came out.
Then I was the only one that got that as they were thinking it would get an English release like PSP2.

TaigaUC
Aug 12, 2015, 12:44 PM
Makes me sad that localization is still an issue with games.
Some things never change.

HeartBreak301
Aug 12, 2015, 12:55 PM

Because giving a million different yukatas and kimonos is so exciting. Honestly I'd like to see some more military outfits considering the Arks are very much a military organization. Not everyone who plays this game is a total weeb and just happily lets them spoonfeed this crap to us every other scratch. Some of us actually like the fact we're soldiers.

As for the actual topic at hand, as it was mentioned earlier they'd have to cut a lot of collab content from the game due to licensing issues and whatnot, but that's perfectly fine, I wouldn't expect to get everything. One of the other problems is that somewhere along the line SEGA decided that nobody in this country liked anything other than Sonic and just axed support for a lot of their franchises. Seriously, we've had PSO (released in five different iterations across four platforms) which only got mention in a couple magazines and game catalogs. PSOep3, which flew under the radar due to lack of advertisement, also was a major departure from PSO being a card battle game, cult following. Phantasy Star Zero, which flew under the radar due to lack of advertisement. PSU which was moderately successful but overall was too broad in it's distribution (tying the PS2 to the PC servers killed any proper updating for that server). PSPo, which flew under the radar due to lack of advertisement. PSPo2, which flew under the radar due to lack of advertisement and was pirated to shit due to it actually being a good game that there wasn't enough copies of (not to mention there was no online play restrictions for pirated copies) on a platform that sold less than well over here. PSPo2i, they just said screw it.

When I ask someone if they've heard of Phantasy Star, I'll usually get replies of them playing PSO way back in the day or playing PSU on 360 or something, but I never hear any mention of other titles. Probably because nobody outside of the fanbase knows they even exist because SEGA makes no effort to advertise them aside from a half page magazine article buried way in the back of the issue or a banner ad on some unrelated site. While we're at it we can add any other franchise they were ever known for to the list, while they're just starting to bring Vocaloid over here.

Then as for PSO2 itself, there's the issue of us already playing over there. The fanbase they already know is the only demographic they know because they refuse to reach out to try to bring more people in, and we're already playing happily (more or less) on the Japanese servers. It'd be a waste of time and money for them to pursue localization when they already have a bonus amount of players that happily pay them that they don't need to officially support in any way, shape or form. They know we're here and they haven't gotten rid of us so they're happily enjoying our patronage. Not to mention we have a volunteer team doing translation for them, free workers, free players, free money.

[Ayumi]
Aug 12, 2015, 01:07 PM
Makes me sad that localization is still an issue with games.
Some things never change.

Blame the majority interests.

Because giving a million different yukatas and kimonos is so exciting. Honestly I'd like to see some more military outfits considering the Arks are very much a military organization. Not everyone who plays this game is a total weeb and just happily lets them spoonfeed this crap to us every other scratch. Some of us actually like the fact we're soldiers.

As for the actual topic at hand, as it was mentioned earlier they'd have to cut a lot of collab content from the game due to licensing issues and whatnot, but that's perfectly fine, I wouldn't expect to get everything. One of the other problems is that somewhere along the line SEGA decided that nobody in this country liked anything other than Sonic and just axed support for a lot of their franchises. Seriously, we've had PSO (released in five different iterations across four platforms) which only got mention in a couple magazines and game catalogs. PSOep3, which flew under the radar due to lack of advertisement, also was a major departure from PSO being a card battle game, cult following. Phantasy Star Zero, which flew under the radar due to lack of advertisement. PSU which was moderately successful but overall was too broad in it's distribution (tying the PS2 to the PC servers killed any proper updating for that server). PSPo, which flew under the radar due to lack of advertisement. PSPo2, which flew under the radar due to lack of advertisement and was pirated to shit due to it actually being a good game that there wasn't enough copies of (not to mention there was no online play restrictions for pirated copies) on a platform that sold less than well over here. PSPo2i, they just said screw it.

When I ask someone if they've heard of Phantasy Star, I'll usually get replies of them playing PSO way back in the day or playing PSU on 360 or something, but I never hear any mention of other titles. Probably because nobody outside of the fanbase knows they even exist because SEGA makes no effort to advertise them aside from a half page magazine article buried way in the back of the issue or a banner ad on some unrelated site. While we're at it we can add any other franchise they were ever known for to the list, while they're just starting to bring Vocaloid over here.

Then as for PSO2 itself, there's the issue of us already playing over there. The fanbase they already know is the only demographic they know because they refuse to reach out to try to bring more people in, and we're already playing happily (more or less) on the Japanese servers. It'd be a waste of time and money for them to pursue localization when they already have a bonus amount of players that happily pay them that they don't need to officially support in any way, shape or form. They know we're here and they haven't gotten rid of us so they're happily enjoying our patronage. Not to mention we have a volunteer team doing translation for them, free workers, free players, free money.

1st paragraph is why they don't want to bother. They don't/won't cater to you.
I personally never wear Yukatas or Kimonos, but I did see a lot of outfits I do enjoy that my characters do wear.

And honestly to your 2nd paragraph... the only reason I even got into PSO was because I wanted Sonic Adventure 2. The demo/trial came with PSO and that was the only way I could have gotten it... so I bought PSO only for the demo and nothing else.
Played the demo for more than a week before I gave in and decided to give PSO a try... enjoyed it until I got online and got hooked ever since.
The other PS games, to be fair, many Sonic games never got much advertisement and usually gets pushed on other sites because people recognize Sonic so people talk about it.
I've seen one commercial for PSU on the telly... just once though. Didn't explain anything about the game either. I think the problem is that they go out of their way to advertise their stuff (yes, even Sonic) in Japan while they don't think they really need to advertise much for their games outside Japan thinking,

"Oh well, they will find out about it somehow. If they're fans, they will find out."

Which isn't the best thing to do.

As for the last paragraph (Not touching anything about Vocaloids...), that's pretty much why they won't bother.
I personally don't like a lot of the fanservice looking clothing, but I did find a good bit that I really like (chars in sig to show none in Yukata/Kimono/Panty-Central clothes), so I'm not going to fully complain.
That and I'm PRAYING for my RAmarl outfit (and hat) to come in the PSO2 anniversary items.
That's kind-of Military... and I liked the outfit.

TaigaUC
Aug 12, 2015, 01:08 PM
Yeah, but JP PSO2 also has 999999 different school uniforms.
I can't recall any American game with American school uniforms.
Or any American media with American school uniforms, even.

[Ayumi]
Aug 12, 2015, 01:10 PM
Yeah, but JP PSO2 also has 999999 different school uniforms.
I can't recall any American game with American school uniforms.

Isn't school uniforms in America only in 2 places?
Elementary School, and Private Schools?

HeartBreak301
Aug 12, 2015, 01:11 PM
It's because most of the population doesn't care for school uniforms, plus an American school uniform would probably be the same as anything you'd find in the UK or anywhere else in the world, a button-down shirt, blazer or a vest with pants/skirt. Not to mention uniforms aren't too common here. Mostly for private schools.

TaigaUC
Aug 12, 2015, 01:12 PM
That might explain it.
Anyway, there'd go most of the outfits in PSO2.

HeartBreak301
Aug 12, 2015, 01:20 PM
We still have a lot of outfits that aren't either of those, but they're pretty much shovelware and it brings in cash so they keep doing it. It'd be greatly appreciated if they'd stop shitting on Casts and Caseals and actually give me parts.

Honestly they'd probably still put out all the Japanese clothing and school uniforms since they've already made it and can re-release it easily enough. It'd just be collab stuff that'd take a hit due to licensing issues. Fate we'd probably still get due to it's popularity but other things like Yuru Yuri and all the flavor of the week anime collabs we've had up til now would probably disappear.

Kondibon
Aug 12, 2015, 01:20 PM
I don't know why people think that if they were to release PSO2 in the west that they would even attempt mass appeal. As someone who's played mabinogi, the people who play these kinds of games in the first place snort school uniforms like coke.

I'm not gonna talk on the colab stuff because I'm biased on that anyway (spoiler, I could live without all the colab outfits).

HeartBreak301
Aug 12, 2015, 01:21 PM
I don't know why people think that if they were to release PSO2 in the west that they would even attempt mass appeal. As someone who's played mabinogi, the people who play these kinds of games in the first place snort school uniforms like coke.

I'm not gonna talk on the colab stuff because I'm biased on that anyway (spoiler, I could live without all the colab outfits).

Yeah, the majority of the players would still eat that stuff up like there's no tomorrow, it'd just be nice to get a bit of variety is all I'm saying.

[Ayumi]
Aug 12, 2015, 01:23 PM
We still have a lot of outfits that aren't either of those, but they're pretty much shovelware and it brings in cash so they keep doing it. It'd be greatly appreciated if they'd stop shitting on Casts and Caseals and actually give me parts.

Honestly they'd probably still put out all the Japanese clothing and school uniforms since they've already made it and can re-release it easily enough. It'd just be collab stuff that'd take a hit due to licensing issues. Fate we'd probably still get due to it's popularity but other things like Yuru Yuri and all the flavor of the week anime collabs we've had up til now would probably disappear.

Was never a fan of Virtual-On, but I do have to say I was mad when the pink robot legs weren't... legs. I wanted them for my cast.
Sadly it was a one piece which annoyed me.

I couldn't. My current hat I think came from a collab and there's none better than it at the moment.
That and my Duman's clothes came from the recent collab with BlazBlue (don't care for Blzblue, but at least I like the outfit)

Kondibon
Aug 12, 2015, 01:24 PM
Yeah, the majority of the players would still eat that stuff up like there's no tomorrow, it'd just be nice to get a bit of variety is all I'm saying.Sorry, that wasn't directed at you. I started typing it before you posted actually. I'm just slow. :wacko:

;3282096']
I couldn't. My current hat I think came from a collab and there's none better than it at the moment.
That and my Duman's clothes came from the recent collab with BlazBlue (don't care for Blzblue, but at least I like the outfit)The colab hairstyles are in my opinion better than most of the original ones (the outfits I feel always clash with the game's aesthtic though). I still wouldn't lose my shit if the game magically got fully localized in exchange for losing them.

Buuuuut, since that would never happen either way...

neilp4453
Aug 12, 2015, 01:35 PM
People keep saying this, but I find it really hard to believe.

It probably only applies to PC gamers.

I don't think many console gamers would easily make the jump to this. If you own a PS4 or Xbone, chances are that you do not PC game.

While the work done to translate this game is great, it doesn't mean Sega shouldn't try again for a Western release.

The success of a western release on PC would be up in the air considering the game is pretty unknown to the masses. But people are willing to try these types of games on console just because there aren't many options to choose from.

This is probably one reason the 360 servers were alive for much longer. The PS2 was a dead console by then. PC wasn't giving much support in terms of fan base.

Kondibon
Aug 12, 2015, 01:36 PM
It probably only applies to PC gamers.

I don't think many console gamers would easily make the jump to this. If you own a PS4 or Xbone, chances are that you do not PC game.

While the work done to translate this game is great, it doesn't mean Sega shouldn't try again for a Western release.

The success of a western release on PC would be up in the air considering the game is pretty unknown to the masses. But people are willing to try these types of games on console just because there aren't many options to choose from.

This is probably one reason the 360 servers were alive for much longer. The PS2 was a dead console by then. PC wasn't giving much support in terms of fan base.I don't see what the PC/Console thing has to do with this considering all the people I was talking about in this case are PC gamers. >_>

Zorafim
Aug 12, 2015, 01:38 PM
Honestly, it feels like Sega just stopped trying after the dreamcast, while other games became more intense. The only game I really liked after it died was... Panzer Dragoon Orta? And even that was only a few hours long, and on the wrong system.
Though their problem was probably just advertising, as everyone keeps saying. It feels like all they need to do is say "This game is out! It was made by Sega!" and everyone would be interested. Despite the fact they haven't released any heavy hitters in about two decades, their name still carries a lot of weight.

;3282083']I've seen one commercial for PSU on the telly...

teehee

(spoiler, I could live without all the colab outfits).

But that's the only way we get any variety.

EvilMag
Aug 12, 2015, 01:43 PM
One issue PSP2 and PSZ had was coming out on the same day a AAA title came out. I do remember PSZ coming out on the same day Modern Warfare 2 came out and PSP2 coming out the same day Halo Reach did as well.

SEGA you aren't doing a good job at planning release dates...

Kondibon
Aug 12, 2015, 01:45 PM
But that's the only way we get any variety.No it's not. But like I said before. I'm biased anyway. If other people are allowed to complain about their immersion or whatever because of bikinis, I think it should be ok for me to not care for outfits that clash with the game's aesthetic (which I happen to like). 3:

EDIT: actually what does that mean?

Also, let me rephrase that. I don't hate the colab stuff for existing on a fundamental level (though I think it's gross how much sega uses PSO2 as an advertising outlet), I just wouldn't care if they were suddenly gone in exchange for a well done local release... which probably won't happen anyway.

neilp4453
Aug 12, 2015, 01:46 PM
I don't see what the PC/Console thing has to do with this considering all the people I was talking about in this case are PC gamers. >_>

Read it again, I intertwined the console injection quite nicely. :)

Basically, I expanded your thoughts to include consoles since this entire topic is generalized (PSO2 Western Release).

If you are still having problems understanding this, read it again.

As a reference,

;3282050']The majority that want to play already playing.

Very small minority refuse to play unless 100% English.

/Check

landman
Aug 12, 2015, 02:21 PM
The thing is... other than Sonic.... the current Sega America target audience in all their releases are people who would enjoy all those varieties of "yukata and school uniforms", they are releasing their third Miku game this september, they are releasing Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax this fall, and Atlus is part of Sega, they are 100% aiming to that niche audience.

And about advertisement I can't say I know the perfect formula... I dislike hearing that Activision spent 150 million in the development of Destiny, and another 150 on its advertisement, and even more reading that they recovered all those 300M in a few hours after launch. I also dislike seeing how Sega advertised Alien Isolation in a bunch of places, made events in lots of theatres, was critically acclaimed by most of the press, and then it just sold around 2M units in all 5 systems combined. In the past 2 years they have been going to a lot of anime conventions just for those Miku games and now Dengeki, but I still don't understand why, WHY? don't they do the same with franchises like Yakuza? most of the perfect audience for Yakuza series still thinks it's a Japanese GTA/Mafia game, when it's actually a game more close to a JRPG like Persona.

HeartBreak301
Aug 12, 2015, 02:48 PM
I also dislike seeing how Sega advertised Alien Isolation in a bunch of places, made events in lots of theatres, was critically acclaimed by most of the press, and then it just sold around 2M units in all 5 systems combined.

I blame the tragedy that was Aliens: Colonial Marines, it probably left a negative stigma in a lot of people who were unwilling to buy into Isolation out of fear of getting the same thing, there's still a lot of people who don't read reviews. I think at this point they just need to clean house on their marketing department. I honestly don't see any reason why PSO2 wouldn't attract an audience aside from the fact the game looks outdated graphically. It's sci-fi, which a lot of people are interested in because look at the numbers Mass Effect, Halo and Destiny brought in. It's an online action RPG with MMO elements, not a bad thing at all, a lot of people are looking for a game to invest a lot of time in. The gameplay is unique. Honestly this is what keeps me playing, I'm not going to find another game like it. I'm not sitting around minding skill cooldowns, I'm actually controlling my character in an involving way and it's incredibly satisfying.

But at this point I think anything they do is too little, too late. They had their chance and they blew it bigtime. A steam tie-in would help to get the word around since people are always jumping on free to play games on steam and could potentially bring in a lot of people, plus buying AC without webmoney or google would be nice. But consoles I think are probably out of the question, the big problem is you're going to split your playerbase in two between the XBO and PS4 and the servers would be worked on separately, plus it's hard to advertise on consoles considering how much clutter there is. The biggest problem I feel though is while you'd be drawing in new players who don't know any better, anyone already playing the game probably wouldn't switch. We've got about 3 years of content and progress over a bare-bones server. That's a really long time and a lot of stuff.

As it was mentioned earlier, despite SEGA's constant screw-ups in the eyes of the fans outside of Japan, their name still carries a lot of weight and they refuse to swing it around.

[Ayumi]
Aug 12, 2015, 02:54 PM
Sorry, that wasn't directed at you. I started typing it before you posted actually. I'm just slow. :wacko:

The colab hairstyles are in my opinion better than most of the original ones (the outfits I feel always clash with the game's aesthtic though). I still wouldn't lose my shit if the game magically got fully localized in exchange for losing them.

Buuuuut, since that would never happen either way...

I guess I'm the only one that found no hairstyles that's outside default that I like.

Honestly, it feels like Sega just stopped trying after the dreamcast, while other games became more intense. The only game I really liked after it died was... Panzer Dragoon Orta? And even that was only a few hours long, and on the wrong system.
Though their problem was probably just advertising, as everyone keeps saying. It feels like all they need to do is say "This game is out! It was made by Sega!" and everyone would be interested. Despite the fact they haven't released any heavy hitters in about two decades, their name still carries a lot of weight.

teehee

But that's the only way we get any variety.

Well it's true. I remember because it caught me off guard and was on one of the local channels. Not on cable.
Was like 15 seconds or less. IT shown bits of the intro that we saw when PSU was 1st announced and ended with I think Mirei flashing into the PSU title logo on a black screen with some bits in the bottom and then it just ended.

I was lke "so they started to advertise PSU?"
Nope. Never seen it again.

One issue PSP2 and PSZ had was coming out on the same day a AAA title came out. I do remember PSZ coming out on the same day Modern Warfare 2 came out and PSP2 coming out the same day Halo Reach did as well.

SEGA you aren't doing a good job at planning release dates...

Halo Reach sold a lot? I heard it didn't do that good.