PDA

View Full Version : CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED error (Win10)

Duskrai
Aug 13, 2015, 10:26 PM
So I'm not sure if its windows 10 related or what, but it's odd I was on today i messed around on pso2 Today and now when i go to launch the game it straight up crashes my whole computer. I've tried troubleshooting A few things got rid of the patches, Reinstalled gameguard, all the same. Idk what else I can really try, Looking for some help here.

Edit: Heres the Fix for anyone with this issue.

Avast antivirus recently had a program update that 100% doesn't like PSO2. This has happened before I believe but not to this extent. After hours of trial and error, I've ended up uninstalling Avast [after turning off -almost- everything I possibly could on it (shields, self defense module, etc.)]. After a cold boot, PSO2 launches without error. I hope this helps some of you out at least!

the_importer_
Aug 13, 2015, 11:05 PM
Same here. I just restored an image I made on the 31th of July when I installed and it persisted, but then again, it automatically downloads and installs updates with Windows 10. I'll try putting back Windows 7 to see if I don't have hardware issues.

Duskrai
Aug 13, 2015, 11:55 PM
oki doke

Zorua
Aug 14, 2015, 01:01 AM
I was having the problem on windows 8, friend suggested getting windows 10, still having the problem

Aeris
Aug 14, 2015, 03:10 AM
"CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED occurs when a process needed for the operating to run properly, well, dies. Processes are like programs, but multiple processes can be used by a single program- and processes directly interact with your processor, hence their name. The bad thing about this error is that it could be just about anything critical to the operation of your computer: namely, your hard drive, your memory, or, if you’re especially unfortunate, your processor."

It can be hardware related or OS related.

Dai-RPG
Aug 14, 2015, 03:17 AM
"CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED occurs when a process needed for the operating to run properly, well, dies. Processes are like programs, but multiple processes can be used by a single program- and processes directly interact with your processor, hence their name. The bad thing about this error is that it could be just about anything critical to the operation of your computer: namely, your hard drive, your memory, or, if you’re especially unfortunate, your processor."

It can be hardware related or OS related.

Yeah that... which is a scary scary thing to go through since it's about the operation of the hardware. I haven't run into this problem yet, but I would be terribly disappointed if this happened anytime soon. This happened to a couple of people I've known before and it's painful to watch.

the_importer_
Aug 14, 2015, 10:07 AM
oki doke

Reverted back to Windows 7, works like a charm. Guess I'll stick to it until they get the glitches out of this new OS. I can tolerate some minor issues, but crashing the entire computer and preventing me from playing my games because you force fed me driver updates, fuck that.

jooozek
Aug 14, 2015, 10:16 AM
gameguard being garbage is not really surprising, sega giving compatibility seal of approval isn't either :yes:
https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/comments/3fbe90/gameguard_and_w10_critical_process_died/

cisen01
Aug 14, 2015, 11:48 AM
Same problem here on 8.1 (:3)rz after a gameguard update .. GG wp

The Walrus
Aug 14, 2015, 11:58 AM
Win 7 here, getting bsods when launching.

10/10 gameguard

DrCatco
Aug 14, 2015, 12:57 PM
Like the OP, I was messing around with PSO2 settings, I was bsod'ed. My situation is a little bit different: when I try to start the game after I erased the Gameguard folder, it just logs out my account; if I try to launch the game without erasing the GG folder, then the bsod happens.

So yeah, GameGuard issues.

Win10 Pro

Sonaos
Aug 14, 2015, 12:59 PM
I too have this issue, but only since the latest Windows 10 update. The error happened only yesterday after I installed an update, but before that, and I played PSO2 for an hour before I updated. It was fine.

I THINK this is what shut it down for me, but I don't remember what updates I downloaded exactly.

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool for Windows 8, 8.1, 10 and Windows Server 2012, 2012 R2 x64 Edition - August 2015 (KB890830)

Shinamori
Aug 14, 2015, 01:03 PM
Haven't had any issues thus far.

CaptainGordon
Aug 14, 2015, 01:20 PM
Avast antivirus recently had a program update that 100% doesn't like PSO2. This has happened before I believe but not to this extent. After hours of trial and error, I've ended up uninstalling Avast [after turning off -almost- everything I possibly could on it (shields, self defense module, etc.)]. After a cold boot, PSO2 launches without error. I hope this helps some of you out at least!

Sonaos
Aug 14, 2015, 01:35 PM

THANK YOU! This worked!

Zorua
Aug 14, 2015, 01:58 PM

Just uninstalled Avast, game's running fine now. Thanks for the help!

the_importer_
Aug 14, 2015, 05:12 PM
Avast indeed and here's why guys: http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/08/14/us-kaspersky-rivals-idUSKCN0QJ1CR20150814

DrCatco
Aug 14, 2015, 05:43 PM

It worked. Huh.

It's weird, because I never had problems with Avast + Gameguard :-?

Oh well, I'll wait and see how this whole situation develops.

Touka
Aug 14, 2015, 07:31 PM
Never had a bsod with Avast till now,I uninstalled it and installed Avira instead.

Aeris
Aug 14, 2015, 09:18 PM
Removed it as well, now to find another antivirus or get the one Touka mentioned.

Zalgadas
Aug 14, 2015, 11:23 PM
Got hit with this earlier myself. Tried so many different things to see if I could bypass it, and then discovered that uninstalling avast worked. In other news, while doing a CMOS reset to see if that worked, I decided to take my computer completely apart, dust and clean it, and then did a much better job of cable management as I put everything back together.

jooozek
Aug 15, 2015, 12:30 AM
Avast indeed and here's why guys: http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/08/14/us-kaspersky-rivals-idUSKCN0QJ1CR20150814

and yet uninstalling which doesn't restore quarantined files somehow solves people's problems here :clown: it's obvious that it's just gameguard being a piece of shit, nothing else

Cr-0-Ny
Aug 17, 2015, 02:49 PM
Does anyone know if the issue is fixed yet? i'm scared to try and see if it works now, since last time the crash occured at a really bad time on my computer and i had to reinstall my video card drivers and stuff...

Rain Walker
Aug 17, 2015, 08:35 PM
Does anyone know if the issue is fixed yet? i'm scared to try and see if it works now, since last time the crash occured at a really bad time on my computer and i had to reinstall my video card drivers and stuff...

I'm running PSO2 with latest avast internet security and windows 10 LTSB. No crash. Not sure about the others.

ArcaneTechs
Aug 18, 2015, 06:34 PM
So I'm running into this stupid issue now as well, I BSoD once I start up PSO2 after updating Avast. Uninstalling AV plays the game perfectly normal.

http://www.oldapps.com/avast_antivirus.php

This site has a version thats about 5months old, should be good enough so ignore my 2013 version I said, about to install this. If you plan to use an old version make sure your DC'd from the internet entirely (as in, you downloaded the setup, unplug/DC from the internet, begin installation) until everything is installed and you can set your settings to have auto updates off as well or it will go straight to downloading the newest version causing more of a run around than you need. MAKE SURE your downloading the versions that are at least 150Mb's big and not the dinky 5Mb's that will auto install the newest version because thats just how they have it now a days.

If this helps well feel free to post here again and let us know, I'll let you guys know once I get everything going, just time consuming

Also I'm Win8 and not 10 since well the all clear isn't said by Sega just yet

I would use Avira but I hear it's gotten kinda worse over time (the ol has more holes than swiss cheese joke) so I'm not going to use that either

Update1: the above link for the older version of AV works so if you still want to play without having to switch AV's (at least until they get their stuff sorted out), this should be a fine bandage since it's not too outdated (having a hard time finding one thats at least 1-2months old but this works). I however haven't updated the Virus Definitions yet so whether that will force me to BSoD again is something I'll find out later (which I'll update this post again). So this is for those having this issue with Win8 and possibly 10 (cant vouch for 10) as a temporary fix to avoid switching to another AV or having nothing at all.

Update2: Updating the Virus Definitions ONLY doesn't give me the BSoD, so avoiding the actual program update should be fine. After I update my virus definitions on AV, the game loaded and I could login in just perfectly fine

Touka
Aug 18, 2015, 06:59 PM
Pretty sure gameguard kills Avira's avcenter.exe so i'll probably be switching to something else.

ArcaneTechs
Aug 18, 2015, 07:08 PM
Pretty sure gameguard kills Avira's avcenter.exe so i'll probably be switching to something else.
I've never tried Avira with PSO2 so I can't say since I switched back to Avast before PSO2 was out at the time. I updated my post as well if your having issues too

Cr-0-Ny
Aug 22, 2015, 03:11 PM
As of right now, this issue is still going on. I really hope either Sega or Avast fixes this fast. I'll follow Kril's advice if it still doesn't work next Tuesday.

ChaosMAJORA
Aug 23, 2015, 03:00 PM
Hey all, just got PSO2 again on my new Win 10 machine and have the same issue. Tried every fix suggested to me - Tweaker's 'Fix Gameguard Issues', deleting the GameGuard folder and reinstalling it (through Tweaker once, and through JP Client second), "shutting down all my antivirus/firewall defenses and praying at it" - and still no results.

Yes, I have Avast, and yes, I feel stupid having paid for software I'm required to, what, uninstall to run PSO2? Seems to be the consensus, though correct me if I'm wrong.

What I thought was interesting is that when I run the PSO2 Tweaker's 'Troubleshooting - Analyse Install for Issues' it flags GameGuard EVERY time. Even after running the 'Fix GameGuard Issues' tool:

(Note: Bold is where this issue appears. You'll see that in Italics I've run the GameGuard fix, but it keeps churning out the same error message)

Program started...
Loading sidebar page...
Program opened successfully! Version 3.0.5.4 [OK!]
Checking for updates, please wait a moment...
You have the latest version of the program: 3.0.5.4
Checking for PSO2 Updates... Done!
Checking for updates to patches...
Current EN Patch version is: patch_2015_08_05_TWEAKER
Current Large Files version is: 7/8/2015
Current Story Patch version is: 7/1/2015
Downloading latest item patch files... Done!
All done - System ready!
Checking for necessary files... Done!
Checking for folders...
Missing Gameguard folder! Please run Troubleshooting -> Fix Gameguard issues! [WARNING!] Done!
Done testing! If you got any errors here, please carry out the recommended steps.
Removing Gameguard File... Done!
Downloading Latest Gameguard file...
Downloading Latest Gameguard config... Done!
No registry keys to delete. This is OK, they should be created the next time Gameguard launches.
GameGuard reset to defaults! Now try running Phantasy Star Online 2 - It should update Gameguard when the PSO2 logo comes up. [OK!]
Checking for folders...
Missing Gameguard folder! Please run Troubleshooting -> Fix Gameguard issues! [WARNING!] Done!
Done testing! If you got any errors here, please carry out the recommended steps.
Removing Gameguard File... Done!
Downloading Latest Gameguard file...
Downloading Latest Gameguard config... Done!
No registry keys to delete. This is OK, they should be created the next time Gameguard launches.
GameGuard reset to defaults! Now try running Phantasy Star Online 2 - It should update Gameguard when the PSO2 logo comes up. [OK!]
Checking for folders...

All text copied to clipboard.

I don't suppose anyone has any suggestions? This is kind of depressing the hell out of me; it really shouldn't be this difficult, I just don't get it...

Zorua
Aug 29, 2015, 03:38 AM
Any news on if Avast is safe now?

ArcaneTechs
Aug 29, 2015, 02:39 PM
Any news on if Avast is safe now?
If you read my post you can still have Avast on your PC, however I don't know if updating the AV to it's latest Program version will still BSoD or crash your PC, I've been only updating the Virus Definitions so far which everything works fine with just that. Your more than welcome to test it, it's just a little time consuming

ChaosMAJORA
Sep 5, 2015, 11:27 AM
My last post was using the then-latest Avast update, and (as you can clearly see) I was still getting BSoD'd.

final_attack
Sep 7, 2015, 06:03 AM
Update : I've tried contacting Avast regarding this CriticalProcessDied, since it happened to me too ..... the beta program (https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=175753.0) included on one of the replies worked for me so far ^^

This is the current version of Avast I'm using (Win10 Pro for OS)
http://puu.sh/k2Uxx/e510d02cb3.png

They said the regular update will soon follow for regular ones ..... but for now, it's ok for me when using this version of Avast while playing PSO2 :)

I'll try updating the program if it's available soon too.

But at least the program isn't out-dated :D