PDA

View Full Version : PSO2 on PS4

Lumpen Thingy
Aug 16, 2015, 03:41 AM
What are your thoughts on peasants being able to play it?

ArcaneTechs
Aug 16, 2015, 03:43 AM
All the Xbox1 fanboys tears flowing everywhere, your hope for a West release just got crushed some more. At best you would need to buy a PS4 if SoA even decides to pick this up still (if you dont already have a ps4)

lemonlight16
Aug 16, 2015, 03:45 AM
If they make it easy for PS4 players to sign up and join, then I think it's a very good business decision for them since they get more potential customers.

Only problem is, they'll have to play the game in Japanese.

Dai-RPG
Aug 16, 2015, 03:47 AM
Why am I crying? What happened to me in the last few seconds?? ;_;

But really though, this is beautiful but at the same time they probably won't release it to the west. Apparently Sega thinks the west only like Sonic and that's it. Also, another problem would be that there is a lot of japanese content in the game so apparently the owners think that we wouldn't understand references and such. But HONESTLY the world is becoming more and more globalized each day so, their excuse on that is slowly drying.

Renderless
Aug 16, 2015, 03:49 AM
Expecting more people to ask, "Is there an English patch for the PS4 version?" Like they do with the Vita version.

ArcaneTechs
Aug 16, 2015, 03:49 AM
Why am I crying? What happened to me in the last few seconds?? ;_;

But really though, this is beautiful but at the same time they probably won't release it to the west. Apparently Sega thinks the west only like Sonic and that's it. Also, another problem would be that there is a lot of japanese content in the game so apparently the owners think that we wouldn't understand references and such. But HONESTLY the world is becoming more and more globalized each day so, their excuse on that is slowly drying.
my post was directed for those hoping and clinging to a West release to be on a console like the Xbox1 since PSU lasted a pretty long time on 360. Now that it's confirmed PS4, Xbox1 version won't happen (and dont give me that it can still happen, theres a reason why the Xbox1 sold poorly there, for those who want to argue against this fact)

If they make it easy for PS4 players to sign up and join, then I think it's a very good business decision for them since they get more potential customers.

Only problem is, they'll have to play the game in Japanese.
Should be about as easy to sign up as the Vita version but ya of course it will all be in Japanese, unless Sega decides to leave the English client in which is doubtful

lemonlight16
Aug 16, 2015, 03:55 AM
R.I.P all SEA players who wish to play this on PS4 or Vita but can't because Sega still hasn't removed the stupid IP block.

final_attack
Aug 16, 2015, 03:56 AM
R.I.P all SEA players who wish to play this on PS4 or Vita but can't because Sega still hasn't removed the stupid IP block.

Gonna blame Asias**t for that :D
hahahahahahahahahaha

Utterly Vile
Aug 16, 2015, 03:58 AM
I really don't see what "SEGAC's" problem concerning the EU/US release. It's the outworld RPG style diversity of the game that draws me ,and many others to the game. Porting it over to the PS4 shouldn't be an issue when you can already download PSP2i & PSVita content to your PS3 & PS4.:sleepy:

Kondibon
Aug 16, 2015, 03:59 AM
I really don't see what "SEGAC's" problem concerning the EU/US release.
Localizing is hard/expensive.

Meteor Weapon
Aug 16, 2015, 04:11 AM
Segac shouldn't have agreed giving Asiashit the game. Wonder whats going on on SEA side of PSO2 atm

Totori
Aug 16, 2015, 04:13 AM
Might be the thing to draw more interest to it. For the Western version rather.

Sizustar
Aug 16, 2015, 04:28 AM
I really don't see what "SEGAC's" problem concerning the EU/US release. It's the outworld RPG style diversity of the game that draws me ,and many others to the game. Porting it over to the PS4 shouldn't be an issue when you can already download PSP2i & PSVita content to your PS3 & PS4.:sleepy:

It cost time and money that they don't have?
It's easier and cheaper for them to let another person publish it in that region, like they did with Asiasoft in SEA region and Gamania in Taiwan region.

landman
Aug 16, 2015, 05:13 AM
If Sega does not localize/publish this in the west then there is no more hope for a western release, but I actually think this rises the previously slim chances, PSU was far more successful on the 360 than PC last gen, and the PS4 is by far more successful in the West than Japan. And consoles are not saturated with MMOs after all (although PS4 has DCUO)

ArcaneTechs
Aug 16, 2015, 05:20 AM
If Sega does not localize/publish this in the west then there is no more hope for a western release
There never has been any since they continuously "delayed" it.

and the PS4 is by far more successful in the West than Japan.
Wat

landman
Aug 16, 2015, 05:49 AM
They have not cancelled it. And the PS4 has sold like crap so far in Japan, while doubling sales of the competitors in the west.

strikerhunter
Aug 16, 2015, 06:27 AM
What are your thoughts on peasants being able to play it?

Unless graphics have a major overhaul and more stable servers, I would tell them save yourself a lot of cash and just get the PC version which already supports xbox and dualshock controller. That is unless you have the intention of buying other PS4 exclusive games then I say that's cheese on a sandwich for you.

The Walrus
Aug 16, 2015, 06:28 AM
Oh good, more excuses for Sega to slack off on content cause it has to be ported to PS4 now :/

landman
Aug 16, 2015, 07:05 AM
I'm sure it's easier to port to PS4 than Vita.

The Walrus
Aug 16, 2015, 07:14 AM
Oh most definitely. Wouldn't be surprised if they don't need the entire port team to handle new content after main port is done.

Shinamori
Aug 16, 2015, 07:16 AM
Inb4 SoA releases the PS4 version.

The Walrus
Aug 16, 2015, 07:27 AM
Only the PS4 version?

Hitoshura
Aug 16, 2015, 07:51 AM
I just hope they discontinue the Vita version now, so we can maybe have moving fingers, or at least the ability to ball our hands into fists.

the_importer_
Aug 16, 2015, 08:03 AM
I'm not too worried about PS4 newcomers since they'll mainly be Japanese players, what I'm worried about is the lag and how full those blocks will become. It's hard enough to get into a good PC-exclusive block as it is for important EQs, imagine if these are now mixed with PS4 players :(

I just hope they discontinue the Vita version now, so we can maybe have moving fingers, or at least the ability to ball our hands into fists.

You'd kidding I hope.

landman
Aug 16, 2015, 08:26 AM
What makes you think PS4 players wont have their exclusive blocks like Vita players do?

Utterly Vile
Aug 16, 2015, 09:11 AM
I'm not too worried about PS4 newcomers since they'll mainly be Japanese players, what I'm worried about is the lag and how full those blocks will become. It's hard enough to get into a good PC-exclusive block as it is for important EQs, imagine if these are now mixed with PS4 players :(

You'd kidding I hope.

This is a possibility. It's hard enough to get into certain PSVita blocks as it is during Jp prime time. And I could see it on the PS4 long before the X1.
For those who are PS fanboys would prefer it anyway.:grin:

the_importer_
Aug 16, 2015, 09:32 AM
What makes you think PS4 players wont have their exclusive blocks like Vita players do?

Cause the reason why those blocks exists was because of the Vita limitations. PS4 might be weaker than a good gaming PC, but PSO2 is not a heavy game to run at max settings.

shagia
Aug 16, 2015, 09:40 AM
RIP to all of my Xbox One friends

landman
Aug 16, 2015, 09:52 AM
Cause the reason why those blocks exists was because of the Vita limitations. PS4 might be weaker than a good gaming PC, but PS4 is not a heavy game to run at max settings.
Nothing stops them having their own exclusive blocks to, for example, voice chat with all players.

Squal_FFVIII
Aug 16, 2015, 10:47 AM
Funny how all the sony dick riders are saying "rip xbox players".

You guys do know that those xbox players don't give a damn about pso2 right?

Hell one of the reasons why this game doesn't get released here in the states is because it's only for a niche market. The only people who play pso2 are either A, old school dreamcast pso fans (like myself) or b. weaboos who love anime and Japan video games.

Nothing wrong with that, but i'm just keeping "real".

Call Of Duty/Gaylo/Gears Of War/etc etc fans don't care about this anime game.

TheAstarion
Aug 16, 2015, 11:06 AM
Consolidating all pre-episode 4 coding to PS4-level might be good for PC users too. The PS4 isn't an amazing machine by any stretch, but better than the average laptop or years old desktop which is what the average Japanese consumer will have.

This is not Unreal Engine 4 persistent world demon's souls in space. By the time this update rolls out it'll be a 4 year old game and that's a good time for some more profound overhauls than lobby lighting, jump pads, one new face type and one face type that looks like a teapot with eyes.

shagia
Aug 16, 2015, 11:50 AM

i own an xbox one, lol

Hell one of the reasons why this game doesn't get released here in the states is because it's only for a niche market. The only people who play pso2 are either A, old school dreamcast pso fans (like myself) or b. weaboos who love anime and Japan video games.

this post is bad

[SPOILER-BOX]and im gonna explain why

The amount of independent content and the recent Square Enix additions to the Xbox One really speaks otherwise, it's not 2007 anymore, man. Although it's been overall obvious that the typical three shooters would be on top, there was always a market for other games on the platform, especially JRPGs, I can name multiple JRPGs that were well received on the Xbox 360. The playerbase is no longer dependent on whatever 'dudebro' content Activision and MS can poop out, and it really never was in the first place. Sure, they were the most received games on the console, but other genres have always existed on the console. CoD on Playstation also applies.

Phantasy Star Universe on the Xbox 360 in North America and Europe lasted 2 years longer than PS2/PC in North America and Europe. PS2/PC had lower levels of usage.

Hell one of the reasons why this game doesn't get released here in the states is because it's only for a niche market.

Except we don't really know this. Well, I'm not really aware of any established reason for it's lack of North American release outside of "we're delaying it again". Localization for sure takes a while, but with PSU and PSO's performance in the west (besides PSU on Xbox being stuck in 2006), I'm rather doubtful of that being a reason.

At best, I'd assume an Xbox One version isn't happening because the Xbox One is just not profitable in Japan, which is what they're aiming for with the PS4 release. I mean, there's no NA or Europe release, which only leaves SEA and JP. God knows what SEA is doing, but when it only comes down to JP, why would they release on a console that has incredibly poor market support?

As much as I love the Xbox brand, it just doesn't exist in Japan, or isn't existing to a point where investors would find this marketable.

The only people who play pso2 are either A, old school dreamcast pso fans (like myself) or b. weaboos who love anime and Japan video games.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46627773/HILARIOUS%21%21%21/tumblr_mjzph0mTph1ryurmdo1_500.jpg

must i really explain

like i know im not every person but im neither of what you just listed hahaha

[/SPOILER-BOX]

TheAstarion
Aug 16, 2015, 12:15 PM
Slight addendum: Servers would likely be shared with PC since the PS4 is likely going to be powerful enough to stand toe to toe with most PC users' experience.

And as for Xbone... The Parity policy means that they can't, as it's already available on Vita. To release a game on Xbone you have to either be exclusive or release on the same day as other platforms, and the Vita version predates the existence of the Xbone itself. PC-only releases are meant to be exempt but this is a cross-platform game already.

landman
Aug 16, 2015, 12:52 PM

What about the fact that half PS4 owners in the west owned an xbox360 last gen, and the fact that Activision has changed their month exclusivity from XboxO to PS4 starting this year? Activision does not make deals like these, Activision just goes where they have more sales, and last Call of Duty had more sales on PS4.

What I mean is... don't generalize. And consoles suck, leave that fanboy sheet somewhere else :wacko:

Meta77
Aug 16, 2015, 01:48 PM
So could this mean a american release down the road. I could understand the pc issue but being on ps4 seems a no brainer to bring it over now.

Zyrusticae
Aug 16, 2015, 02:04 PM
I wish this meant they could finally drop PSVita support and let us MOVE OUR FUCKING HANDS.

But no, never happening. Oh, well, whatever. At least there's an actual console option now for those who care about that sort of thing. I guess. Not really relevant to my interests, tho.

Shinamori
Aug 16, 2015, 02:15 PM
Only the PS4 version?

Knowing Sega, probably.

Dai-RPG
Aug 16, 2015, 02:17 PM
Knowing Sega, probably.

Didn't they release Sonic 2006 on Xbox360 though? I don't think it would be an impossibility for them to release the game on the Xbox One.

Zyrusticae
Aug 16, 2015, 02:19 PM
The fact that the 360 version of PSU was segregated to its own server should tell you all you need to know.

It's not happening. Unless Microsoft suddenly changes policy and allows cross-platform play with both Playstation and PC, it's not ever happening. It's the exact same reason FFXIV never got a 360 or One release.

Shinamori
Aug 16, 2015, 02:21 PM
Probably wanna go back to page 2, but I'm basically inplying that SoA will only release the PS4 version and not the PC version.

landman
Aug 16, 2015, 02:33 PM
Well... what killed the PC/PS2 PSU population in the first month in the western servers were hacks, hacks that didn't happen in the 360 version and many people moved. Not even in the grinder duping catastrophe that changed drastically the economy the population seemed to resent, there was always a universe full, and 3,4 on events for at least the first three years (yeah, ridiculous compared to the Japanese server).

[Ayumi]
Aug 16, 2015, 02:41 PM
I have one question. Can a US PS4 play it though?

Before you ask, I only have one PSN account and it's Japanese so if it goes up in the PSN Store I would easily get it as I never saw a point for a non JPN account.

My question is would it download and play on it? I don't know if it's region locked or not.

EvilMag
Aug 16, 2015, 02:42 PM
Well Vita version works with US PSN account. That is if you had the physical copy.

Meta77
Aug 16, 2015, 02:53 PM
Didn't they release Sonic 2006 on Xbox360 though? I don't think it would be an impossibility for them to release the game on the Xbox One.

Have you seen the sales of the xbox one in japan. Its so horrible that i can not even joke about it without feeling bad for MS.

[Ayumi]
Aug 16, 2015, 03:00 PM
Well Vita version works with US PSN account. That is if you had the physical copy.

Digital PSO2 on Vita doesn't work on a US Vita?
I own no Vita as the only games I would play on it is PSO2 and PS Nova.

EvilMag
Aug 16, 2015, 03:03 PM
;3283624']Digital PSO2 on Vita doesn't work on a US Vita?

Digital doesn't work because it requires a JP PSN account to access the JP PSN store to download it. accounts are tied to the memory card I believe.

iirc there was an exploit to download PSO2 on the memory card without needing a JP PSN account to access the store and using a US account did work I think. Sony has long since patched it out though

landman
Aug 16, 2015, 03:17 PM
For the digital download you provably need a Japanese account, but since PS4 can have multiple accounts (I hope, PS3 can, Vita can't) I will guess your download will be playable from your usual account as long as the Japanese account is still in the system.

Squal_FFVIII
Aug 16, 2015, 03:17 PM
What about the fact that half PS4 owners in the west owned an xbox360 last gen, and the fact that Activision has changed their month exclusivity from XboxO to PS4 starting this year? Activision does not make deals like these, Activision just goes where they have more sales, and last Call of Duty had more sales on PS4.

What I mean is... don't generalize. And consoles suck, leave that fanboy sheet somewhere else :wacko:

If i'm not mistaken the xboxone still has a ton of cod players on their console. But you went ahead and picked one game only.

It's no lie that the xbox fan base cares more about western games than Japanese games. If you know anything gaming related then I shouldn't even have to explain this.

Xbox fans don't buy xboxes thinking to themselves "oh hell yeah i'ma get an xbox so I can buy all these weaboo games on it!"

They get it for their "american" style games. Again common sense by now.

Also, I agree. I don't really care about consoles myself, since i'm a PC gamer. However just because i'm not a console guy doesn't mean I can't correct some of the sony dick riding here.

Infact the only people who care about this game are the same like 200 Americans that already play on the JP version.

Saying that xbox fans are missing out on pso2 is down right retarded because they don't even know what pso2 is....lol

[Ayumi]
Aug 16, 2015, 04:30 PM
For the digital download you provably need a Japanese account, but since PS4 can have multiple accounts (I hope, PS3 can, Vita can't) I will guess your download will be playable from your usual account as long as the Japanese account is still in the system.

Yeah, as I said earlier, I only have a Japanese account and nothing else.
I hope it works like how PSP I could've bought/download PSP2 PSP2i from the PSStore.

Just wondering as I don't own a Vita.

ArcaneTechs
Aug 16, 2015, 05:39 PM

Get mad, because they do since PSU lasted the longest time there, that was their main hope of it happening in the West. Now that the final nail is in the coffin, PS4 is the only way it's gonna happen if it hits the West now. Xbone Tears be flowin

Using weeaboo in the wrong way just like everyone else "play a Japanese made game? you must be a weeaboo". You don't even know thats the prime reason why Sega hasn't brought the game to the West either (niche market), your under the assumption and main idea agreement that thats the reason why. None of us work within the company so none of us know the real reason.

Not every Japanese game is "an anime game" just because it's made by JP developers either. People did want this on the Xbox1, now theres no chance of that happening. Let your inner Twitch Cancer calm down a bit (or cancer in general) because it flows through your veins like Mountain Dew

fyi too, i own both systems, so come at me if you wanna go down the console war route since PC is clearly better

;3283613']I have one question. Can a US PS4 play it though?
Before you ask, I only have one PSN account and it's Japanese so if it goes up in the PSN Store I would easily get it as I never saw a point for a non JPN account.
My question is would it download and play on it? I don't know if it's region locked or not.
Since PS4 is region lock free, it will work, if anything it shouldn't be as difficult to link your accounts together. But again, your asking a question (why ppl do this idk) a little too soon before it's even out anywhere. My thing is, it's a region lock free system, why wouldn't it work? Since Vita players can play it just fine Hard/Soft copies of the game

;3283624']Digital PSO2 on Vita doesn't work on a US Vita?
It works fine as a digital download just make sure you have a massive memory card to back it up

Strumner
Aug 16, 2015, 06:06 PM
Best part is, I'm sure you can still use crossplay so you can play PS4 PSO2 on your Vita.
[master race intensifies]

LunaSolstice
Aug 16, 2015, 06:34 PM
I just hope the PS4 blocks aren't shoved with Vita ones because the Vita blocks get full enough as is lol

pkemr4
Aug 16, 2015, 06:38 PM
will we get improved graphics and better AA?

Lumpen Thingy
Aug 16, 2015, 06:58 PM
will we get improved graphics and better AA?

Well since the PS4 is a mid ranged PC don't expect that on the PS4 version.

Anduril
Aug 16, 2015, 07:54 PM
Well since the PS4 is a mid ranged PC don't expect that on the PS4 version.
Mid-ranged now, but relative to a machine circa 2011-2012 (which PSO2 was designed for, if not older), it is on the slightly higher, non-overclocked end (the GPU is comparable to the Radeon HD 7870 released March 2012, so not top of the line at the time, but more powerful than average), so I imagine that they "could" use this "Rebirth" with Episode 4 and the PS4 release to do some tweaks to at least bring the graphics up a couple of years. They could, but now it's a matter of if they would.

Squal_FFVIII
Aug 16, 2015, 08:12 PM
Get mad, because they do since PSU lasted the longest time there, that was their main hope of it happening in the West. Now that the final nail is in the coffin, PS4 is the only way it's gonna happen if it hits the West now. Xbone Tears be flowin

Using weeaboo in the wrong way just like everyone else "play a Japanese made game? you must be a weeaboo". You don't even know thats the prime reason why Sega hasn't brought the game to the West either (niche market), your under the assumption and main idea agreement that thats the reason why. None of us work within the company so none of us know the real reason.

Not every Japanese game is "an anime game" just because it's made by JP developers either. People did want this on the Xbox1, now theres no chance of that happening. Let your inner Twitch Cancer calm down a bit (or cancer in general) because it flows through your veins like Mountain Dew

fyi too, i own both systems, so come at me if you wanna go down the console war route since PC is clearly better

Since PS4 is region lock free, it will work, if anything it shouldn't be as difficult to link your accounts together. But again, your asking a question (why ppl do this idk) a little too soon before it's even out anywhere. My thing is, it's a region lock free system, why wouldn't it work? Since Vita players can play it just fine Hard/Soft copies of the game

It works fine as a digital download just make sure you have a massive memory card to back it up

It's funny when you say "people do want this on xbox1" oh you mean those 50 people that were still playing the 360 version of psu?

Sure none of us work for SEGA so we don't know the true reasons for pso2 not having a western release that said, it being a niche market may have something to do with it. Why go through all the trouble of localizing it when only 200-300 (i'm being generous with those numbers too) players will play it?

Sure you can try to argue the point of advertisement, but judging by the way SEGA advertised PSU. It's not going to happen.

Lastly why would my "tears be flowing" when I don't care about xbone in the first place? I was simply stating a simple fact that the majority of xbone users don't care or even know pso2 exist. You're acting like the 12Million plus xbone owners are crying for pso2 when infact not even 1% of it's users want it or like I said know of it. That's not so hard to understand now is it? Now i'm sure even an idiot like you can comprehend that :)

If you want to have a serious discussion i'm all up for it, but don't come at me like a clown with shitty one liners just to look "kwell" on a pso forum.

shagia
Aug 16, 2015, 08:43 PM
It's not happening. Unless Microsoft suddenly changes policy and allows cross-platform play with both Playstation and PC, it's not ever happening. It's the exact same reason FFXIV never got a 360 or One release.

Oh christ almighty, I forgot about that. Yeah, Outside of their own OS, cross-platform play seems to be the bane of microsoft and has been forever, and it's kinda sad seeing that. They've been stepping up in Cross-platform play between PC and Xbox One for certain things related to their development (Fable Legends, IDARB, Project Spark), but in general, they know what many people have been asking for, and that's an actual cross-platform game between PC, PS, and Xbox, and I don't think we'll be seeing that.

If i'm not mistaken the xboxone still has a ton of cod players on their console. But you went ahead and picked one game only. It's no lie that the xbox fan base cares more about western games than Japanese games. If you know anything gaming related then I shouldn't even have to explain this.
PS4 also has a bunch of CoD players, his point is that using CoD as a reason to completely ignore an entire playerbase because they "only play American eccentric games" is rather a very poor business model, which is why you haven't seen Square Enix do it with a number of games they've announced. In this case, why would Activision move deals for CoD to the PS4? Because if Xbox was so dedicated towards western aimed content, it wouldn't of been a good idea in general. Bungie's Destiny is also included. Both consoles have it's American audience that might only be interested in American eccentric games, only Sony has a history of supporting internationally developed content.

Xbox fans don't buy xboxes thinking to themselves "oh hell yeah i'ma get an xbox so I can buy all these weaboo games on it!"

They get it for their "american" style games. Again common sense by now.
but this isn't true, haha

You can literally say the same entire thing about the PS4, dude. It's the same "most popular" shit on the PS4. Are you stuck on the Halo 3 release, or something?

Infact the only people who care about this game are the same like 200 Americans that already play on the JP version.

u serious right now man cmon

go to ship two tell me thats only 200 americans, don't exaggerate lmfao

Saying that xbox fans are missing out on pso2 is down right retarded because they don't even know what pso2 is....lol

Are you saying a bunch of Xbox users are only going to play the game series they know of? Are you saying there are no people who play things that aren't CoD and other American games on Xbox? I can assure you majority of Xbox fans didn't know what Warframe was (free to play canadian developed third person shooter), and it's currently still one of the top free games on the Xbox market. I see what you're pointing at, but that's just not how most people work. They don't look at a game and think "oh, I don't know what that is, I'm gonna ignore it even if I've heard great things about it."

red1228
Aug 16, 2015, 08:46 PM
Have you seen the sales of the xbox one in japan. Its so horrible that i can not even joke about it without feeling bad for MS.

Not that I'm against the game getting more players, but: Have you seen the sales of ANY of the Xbox consoles in Japan?

the_importer_
Aug 16, 2015, 08:59 PM
Oh Christ, why do we need to see fucking console wars on this forum? PS4 and XB1 are both under-powered PCs. MS dropped the ball with their original always online plans, SONY picked the ball and ran with it by releasing a console that didn't do this and was $100 cheaper. The idiot who ran the XBOX department left, someone brighter took his place and is cleaning up the shit.

All of this doesn't matter for PSO2, it's a Japanese game by a Japanese company in a country where the XBOX One is practically none-existent.

Kokurokoki
Aug 16, 2015, 09:07 PM

LIke said before, localizing a game is extremely money-consuming. And if they want to add in the option for western players to listen to the japanese audio it gets even more expensive because of licensing issues.

:(

Kokurokoki
Aug 16, 2015, 09:08 PM
Not that I'm against the game getting more players, but: Have you seen the sales of ANY of the Xbox consoles in Japan?

Japan not interested in inferior gaijin consoles.

After all the 360 wasn't folded over 1000 times like the PS4 was and made with glorious nippon steel plastic. :-P

LonelyGaruga
Aug 16, 2015, 09:17 PM
Japan actually has lots of steel because they buy it. That's why there are so many Japanese car companies, they use the steel to make things to profit from.

/randomtrivia

landman
Aug 16, 2015, 11:58 PM
It's funny when you say "people do want this on xbox1" oh you mean those 50 people that were still playing the 360 version of psu?
50? registered unique ID's surpassed the 100k mark in the PSU360 servers, provably more, that's just a round number I remember. I logged in first day of euro release and I was around the 22k ID mark. PSO Dreamcast had 30k users worldwide at peak hours, provably more, I do remember euro players were like 4k, NA around 10k and Japan about 15k (numbers provably changed at different hours).

The PSU server eventually closed, but it was one of the last ones to be closed, around the same time the japanese PSU server did, and according to Rubby it was still getting new players in 2011. (https://youtu.be/BATo38UoTg4)

ArcaneTechs
Aug 17, 2015, 12:23 AM

Sure none of us work for SEGA so we don't know the true reasons for pso2 not having a western release that said, it being a niche market may have something to do with it. Why go through all the trouble of localizing it when only 200-300 (i'm being generous with those numbers too) players will play it?

Sure you can try to argue the point of advertisement, but judging by the way SEGA advertised PSU. It's not going to happen.

Lastly why would my "tears be flowing" when I don't care about xbone in the first place? I was simply stating a simple fact that the majority of xbone users don't care or even know pso2 exist. You're acting like the 12Million plus xbone owners are crying for pso2 when infact not even 1% of it's users want it or like I said know of it. That's not so hard to understand now is it? Now i'm sure even an idiot like you can comprehend that :)

If you want to have a serious discussion i'm all up for it, but don't come at me like a clown with shitty one liners just to look "kwell" on a pso forum.
it's okay to go full retard sometimes but your pretty assblasted making yourself look stupid right now. People would want and play PSO2 if it went to the Xbox1 but ya, full retard

PS4 also has a bunch of CoD players, his point is that using CoD as a reason to completely ignore an entire playerbase because they "only play American eccentric games" is rather a very poor business model, which is why you haven't seen Square Enix do it with a number of games they've announced. In this case, why would Activision move deals for CoD to the PS4? Because if Xbox was so dedicated towards western aimed content, it wouldn't of been a good idea in general. Bungie's Destiny is also included. Both consoles have it's American audience that might only be interested in American eccentric games, only Sony has a history of supporting internationally developed content.

Pretty much one of my points, you can no longer say Xbox is for shooters and PS is for JP games anymore, its shifted the other way around where the PS4 is now home to shooters AND JP games meanwhile Xbox1 is still trying to get MMO's on their console in the f2p department

akitalevia
Aug 17, 2015, 01:07 AM
I want a PS4 now. I have a Vita playing on the PC is a pain (not because of the Tweaker, but the slow Gameguard and starting up process along with the annoying BlueStacks > OTP)

Squal_FFVIII
Aug 17, 2015, 06:33 AM
50? registered unique ID's surpassed the 100k mark in the PSU360 servers, provably more, that's just a round number I remember. I logged in first day of euro release and I was around the 22k ID mark. PSO Dreamcast had 30k users worldwide at peak hours, provably more, I do remember euro players were like 4k, NA around 10k and Japan about 15k (numbers provably changed at different hours).

The PSU server eventually closed, but it was one of the last ones to be closed, around the same time the japanese PSU server did, and according to Rubby it was still getting new players in 2011. (https://youtu.be/BATo38UoTg4)

You do realize that those numbers are pretty pathetic right? When compared to other games. Even for Japanese made games. Times have changed we aren't in the Dreamcast era anymore. Games need to sale in order for companies to stay afloat.

If a huge game company pours a ton of money on a project and it only sells 100K copies that's one hell of a flop. Again I don't think I need to tell you that.

Bragging about getting 100K subs is just...LOL. Keep in mind that we are talking about a country where other games sale MILLIONS. COD, GTA, Halo, Gears, Skyrim etc etc and just to humor you here are some Japanese made games that also sell a ton here Resident Evil (hell even the shitty RE6 sold over 5 million copies), Dark Souls, MGS, SF4, Hell even DOA sells pretty well here.

Now what about online games? Well there's that one game that has millions of subs what is it called? Oh right LoL.

You coming into this argument with "uhh..well dude..PSU made 100K subs in all of it's life time..." just shows just how trully niche the pso/psu market is in the US. The sad thing is that those 100K subs aren't from USA only they also include EU which just makes the whole picture look worse.

Damn...and I thought the FGC was a niche market. The more you know.

Also, to the guy who has been responding to me with the small ass text, just to let you know I have been ignoring all of your replies. So you're just wasting your time with that text style.

Frog
Aug 17, 2015, 10:27 AM
I read about this today and am extremely excited. PS4 is region free, so I hope to hell that you can play the Japanese disc version.

It also gives slight hope to it coming to the west. I don't think SEGA will do it, but the guys at Sony US seem to really listen to feedback to get stuff like this in the US. So maybe, just maybe they will partner with someone or maybe Atlus could do it. It would be better if Sony got involved though because of the servers, but I do believe there is hope for the PS4 version in the west.

Besides, SEGA never officially canned the US PC version. I don't believe it will ever come, but a US/EU PS4 version is a possibility now I think.

Looking forward to Tokyo Game Show now!

[Ayumi]
Aug 17, 2015, 10:37 AM
I read about this today and am extremely excited. PS4 is region free, so I hope to hell that you can play the Japanese disc version.

It also gives slight hope to it coming to the west. I don't think SEGA will do it, but the guys at Sony US seem to really listen to feedback to get stuff like this in the US. So maybe, just maybe they will partner with someone or maybe Atlus could do it. It would be better if Sony got involved though because of the servers, but I do believe there is hope for the PS4 version in the west.

Besides, SEGA never officially canned the US PC version. I don't believe it will ever come, but a US/EU PS4 version is a possibility now I think.

Looking forward to Tokyo Game Show now!

Even if it came out in the US for the PS4, I highly doubt it would be on the same servers as JPN.

Frog
Aug 17, 2015, 10:48 AM
I know I should give up on this, in fact I did last year when it never showed at TGS. But damn, with this new annoucement PSO2 for PS4 it just seems possible that it will hit the US.

I want to believe sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo bad!!!

lol

Squal_FFVIII
Aug 17, 2015, 11:10 AM
I know I should give up on this, in fact I did last year when it never showed at TGS. But damn, with this new annoucement PSO2 for PS4 it just seems possible that it will hit the US.

I want to believe sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo bad!!!

lol

Why do you want a US release so bad? I can't believe people still want this.

The game is over 3 years old. That means that it will be 3 years behind. It will also lack a lot of the JP content. In short why do you want a highly watered down version of the JP version?

If you played PSU on the US servers then you know exactly what I mean.

When I moved to the JP PSU servers it was like a whole new game. They had WAY more content than the US version.

[Ayumi]
Aug 17, 2015, 11:42 AM

The game is over 3 years old. That means that it will be 3 years behind. It will also lack a lot of the JP content. In short why do you want a highly watered down version of the JP version?

If you played PSU on the US servers then you know exactly what I mean.

When I moved to the JP PSU servers it was like a whole new game. They had WAY more content than the US version.

Because they know 0 japanese and want to hear Faina say the same line 50 million times in a language they know.
That's the only reason I can think of.

Eternal255
Aug 17, 2015, 11:54 AM
I'm really hoping for a pso2 themed ps4. In which case I will wait on buying ps4/persona 5 until then.

;3283913']Because they know 0 japanese and want to hear Faina say the same line 50 million times in a language they know.
That's the only reason I can think of.

rofl right? It still baffles me that people feel the english patches aren't enough to play the game.

Chunky McMunky
Aug 17, 2015, 12:34 PM
hopefully they release pso2 in the west on pc and ps4 at the same time, so we could get cross platform play. Ps4 seems to be the best platform for cross play these days considering ffxiv and now rocket league.

Meta77
Aug 17, 2015, 12:46 PM
I also hope sega uses this as that "we want to regain our fans trust by gaining their trust back and releasing more games even those that are typically imported" stop being pc elitist all the time.

Frog
Aug 17, 2015, 01:37 PM
You can't believe that us old-schoolers...people playing Phantasy Star since the sega Master System want this game in the US on console?

I've been a fan for nearly 30 years. I am not the only person who wants this.

This game could do great, if it properly translated and marketed. Diablo proves this, Destiny proves this, games like Path of Exile will likely jump to console as well based on its develeper comments.

For Sony, this could be their Monster Hunter killer since Monster Hunter went soley Nintendo. They even recently unveiled a single-player monsterhunterish game called Horizon. Microsoft unveiled a Monsterhunterish game called Scalebound.

Destiny/Diablo players would love this.

Personally, I still like PSO better than Monster Hunter and Diablo. I like Destiny nearly as much as PSO.

Borderlands shows that console players can eat this type of gameplay up.

There is absolutely nothing stupid about wanting this game to survive and stop being niche when it was a VERY poplular RPG series in the US all the way to Genesis era. It was still quite popular on Dreamcaste, Gamecube, and Xbox1.

There are tons of pso/monster hunter clones...many getting translated and brought west. They all suck compared to PSO though. (God Eater etc.)

Sci Fi rpgs are more popular than ever with Mass Effect etc. This game has a way better chance now than it did even 5 years ago. The Playstation is starting to have MMOs and Free MMOs as well.

Warframe players would dig this.

It's not as dumb as you lucky enough to play the Japanese version make it out to be. There are tons of folks like me, who have been fans of this series since the beginning who do not want to mess with translations and ip blocking etc. You seem to think this thing was always niche and that is definitely not the case. I love Diablo. I worship Diablo, but I know that in the long run...PSO always had more legs for me...even 100% offline. It has a rhytm a feel that none of these others can compare to.

Graphics being outdated does not matter to a PSO fan. The artstyle, gameplay, and music carry it far beyond the latest tech ever could!

Frog
Aug 17, 2015, 01:42 PM
hopefully they release pso2 in the west on pc and ps4 at the same time, so we could get cross platform play. Ps4 seems to be the best platform for cross play these days considering ffxiv and now rocket league.
And yes, I would expect if they did it PC/PS4 crossplay. Sony is big on this with PS4. It's why I hope Sony gets involved. They are also big on crossbuy. You buy the vita version you get the PS4 version etc.

I would totally play it on PC if it ever came west. But now that I am hearing PS4, that would be by far my platform choice.

I was going to use your fan translations a few years ago but when I started looking into it Sega started the IP blocking of us folks and it just adds another layer of frustation from trying to play. I don't want to even mess with it now even if there is a workaround.

strikerhunter
Aug 17, 2015, 01:56 PM
I'm going to be a bit off topic here

For Sony, this could be their Monster Hunter killer since Monster Hunter went soley Nintendo.
No, just no. With MH dominating in its genre, it would be a long shot to call it the MH killer rather than a competitor. PSO2 on the PS4 or western (if it ever happens) have other competitors to deal with on the same console rather than with MH (solely on Nintendo handhelds).

They even recently unveiled a single-player monsterhunterish game called Horizon.
Hunt-ish if you ask me because there's nothing monsterhunterish besides the obvious hunt target and gathering.

Why do you want a US release so bad? I can't believe people still want this..
There's nothing wrong with people waiting for a US release, even if it's a watered down version of the JP version and/or has less content. Just because you don't want it doesn't mean not everyone does.

Frog
Aug 17, 2015, 02:02 PM
Hunt-ish if you ask me because there's nothing monsterhunterish besides the obvious hunt target and gathering.
You hunt stuff. You gather resources. You make better weapons and armor from said resources. That is pretty Monsterhunterish if you ask me. Except that it has no multiplayer.

Yes Monster Hunter dominates, and it is really good. But I still prefer the more rpg grindyness of PSO. But yes, competitor is a good term. But I definitely feel PSO is better than games like God Eater, and all those portable hunterish instanced games.

strikerhunter
Aug 17, 2015, 02:06 PM
You hunt stuff. You gather resources. You make better weapons and armor from said resources. That is pretty Monsterhunterish if you ask me. Except that it has no multiplayer.

This is why I said hunt-ish because it's a basic formula a lot of games use, specially when it comes to the grind.

RibbonSoft
Aug 17, 2015, 02:13 PM
rofl right? It still baffles me that people feel the english patches aren't enough to play the game.

Unfortunately, the English patches are NOT enough to play the game. Only about 25% of the game is translated. Hmmm, lets see...

Tutorials translated: nope (I understand, it's images, but still, people can't understand the tutorials and you elitists on this forum wonder why foreigners are so bad at this game)

Client Orders translated: Very small number of them, it would be nice to know what the hell they are saying.

NPC Dialogue: Nope (it would be nice to see what NPCs have to say about current events like what I hear they do talk about in Episode 3, not for sure in Episode 1 or 2)

Story: Only Episode One and Two (one cut scene isn't translated, chat bubbles in story quests untranslated, etc.), very tiny amount for Episode Three (the main reason I won't play episode three yet because I can't understand what the hell is going on, so I just read forums of other people talking about it; and almost no matterboard translations)

ARKS Road: Nope (Much better tutorial or guide for progressing through the game but it's also not translated)

Items: 90% (the only really thorough translation are the item names, not the descriptors, giving some people confusion on item functions)

Techniques and PAs:90% (same issue as items)

There are others, but the point is people want to understand the content now, not later. In addition, most people won't even bother to go to a forum to understand what is going on or attempt to go through hoops just to install the Japanese version (it is a pain in the ass, especially once you reach the captcha, people don't want to deal with that). Oh, and some people like to follow the rules as well since technically only people in Japan are only allowed to play the game per the EULA, thus a lot of people don't like the idea of having the Sword of Damocles hanging over their every action while playing just because they don't live in Japan. So for some people, yes, it is better for them to wait for an actual official Western release.

I'm one of the small majority where I don't really give a shit about a Western release at this point (as long as they don't ban foreign accounts just because a western release is suddenly announced, but more likely may happen), but I do understand that a lot of people do care and I understand their reasons why. Unlike the elitists here, I do try to practice something called EMPATHY. Maybe you guys could learn about it one day. Then again, more likely not.

The Walrus
Aug 17, 2015, 02:46 PM
For Sony, this could be their Monster Hunter killer since Monster Hunter went soley Nintendo.

This is genuinely insulting to MonHun for a number of reasons.

The biggest being that PSO2 is not up to snuff.

[Ayumi]
Aug 17, 2015, 04:35 PM
You can't believe that us old-schoolers...people playing Phantasy Star since the sega Master System want this game in the US on console?

I've been a fan for nearly 30 years. I am not the only person who wants this.

This game could do great, if it properly translated and marketed. Diablo proves this, Destiny proves this, games like Path of Exile will likely jump to console as well based on its develeper comments.

For Sony, this could be their Monster Hunter killer since Monster Hunter went soley Nintendo. They even recently unveiled a single-player monsterhunterish game called Horizon. Microsoft unveiled a Monsterhunterish game called Scalebound.

Destiny/Diablo players would love this.

Personally, I still like PSO better than Monster Hunter and Diablo. I like Destiny nearly as much as PSO.

Borderlands shows that console players can eat this type of gameplay up.

There is absolutely nothing stupid about wanting this game to survive and stop being niche when it was a VERY poplular RPG series in the US all the way to Genesis era. It was still quite popular on Dreamcaste, Gamecube, and Xbox1.

There are tons of pso/monster hunter clones...many getting translated and brought west. They all suck compared to PSO though. (God Eater etc.)

Sci Fi rpgs are more popular than ever with Mass Effect etc. This game has a way better chance now than it did even 5 years ago. The Playstation is starting to have MMOs and Free MMOs as well.

Warframe players would dig this.

It's not as dumb as you lucky enough to play the Japanese version make it out to be. There are tons of folks like me, who have been fans of this series since the beginning who do not want to mess with translations and ip blocking etc. You seem to think this thing was always niche and that is definitely not the case. I love Diablo. I worship Diablo, but I know that in the long run...PSO always had more legs for me...even 100% offline. It has a rhytm a feel that none of these others can compare to.

Graphics being outdated does not matter to a PSO fan. The artstyle, gameplay, and music carry it far beyond the latest tech ever could!

- I've been a fan for almost as long. It's partially why when PSU came out and I still only had Dialup for the 1st month PSU was out (yes... I was still on Dialup) meaning the PS2 version would not have worked for me... I got it for bot hthe PC and PS2 the same day... but I had no problem playing it on PC until I could on PS2...
then realized it was better on the PC due to some problems the PS2 version had...
Then of course then moving to the 360 one later on as the PC one was near dead as it is.

- Diablo and Destiny aren't Japanese games so that doesn't work here.
Diablo fans also might like it, yeah. I'm not sure on the Destiny fans as most of them that I know like it because of Bungie/Halo/FPS/etc. Nothing PS ever has been.

- Can't say for myself on PSO to Diablo or Destiny as I do like PSO still (play it every so often still on PC offline), but I don't like Diablo or Destiny at all.

- Borderlands is once again an FPS/RPG.

- Nothing stupid in wanting a release of an English version, but showing the past history of how they treat the games outside of Japan, most just knew what would happen IF it was released outside of Japan and pretty much jumped to the JPN game before even thinking if the English game would be delayed or canned or not.

- You didn't like God Eater? I thought it was kind of decent.

- Can't say on the Sci-Fi RPG part as honestly... the only reason I was addicted and liked Mass Effect.... was it reminded me so much of PSO in it's atmosphere and feeling to me. So I guess I'm a weird case.
ME music helped there too.

- Last part you said... I would really take a PSOffline2 for the English release if they made it.
Before anyone look at me weird, I think it would be kind of awesome minus being able to play with people.
At least I know when PSO2 dies in Japan or wherever... I can still get to play PSO2... and it being offline mean people might be able to modify it to add al of the online features into it. I don't know. Just daydreaming here.

Unfortunately, the English patches are NOT enough to play the game. Only about 25% of the game is translated. Hmmm, lets see...

Tutorials translated: nope (I understand, it's images, but still, people can't understand the tutorials and you elitists on this forum wonder why foreigners are so bad at this game)

Client Orders translated: Very small number of them, it would be nice to know what the hell they are saying.

NPC Dialogue: Nope (it would be nice to see what NPCs have to say about current events like what I hear they do talk about in Episode 3, not for sure in Episode 1 or 2)

Story: Only Episode One and Two (one cut scene isn't translated, chat bubbles in story quests untranslated, etc.), very tiny amount for Episode Three (the main reason I won't play episode three yet because I can't understand what the hell is going on, so I just read forums of other people talking about it; and almost no matterboard translations)

ARKS Road: Nope (Much better tutorial or guide for progressing through the game but it's also not translated)

Items: 90% (the only really thorough translation are the item names, not the descriptors, giving some people confusion on item functions)

Techniques and PAs:90% (same issue as items)

There are others, but the point is people want to understand the content now, not later. In addition, most people won't even bother to go to a forum to understand what is going on or attempt to go through hoops just to install the Japanese version (it is a pain in the ass, especially once you reach the captcha, people don't want to deal with that). Oh, and some people like to follow the rules as well since technically only people in Japan are only allowed to play the game per the EULA, thus a lot of people don't like the idea of having the Sword of Damocles hanging over their every action while playing just because they don't live in Japan. So for some people, yes, it is better for them to wait for an actual official Western release.

I'm one of the small majority where I don't really give a shit about a Western release at this point (as long as they don't ban foreign accounts just because a western release is suddenly announced, but more likely may happen), but I do understand that a lot of people do care and I understand their reasons why. Unlike the elitists here, I do try to practice something called EMPATHY. Maybe you guys could learn about it one day. Then again, more likely not.

- Tutorials are translated. The image part isn't, but the npcs explain the same thing that's in the tutorials. That and as you said it has images. So getting it from the NPC and then through images I say is good.
But yet again I'm a weird case. I'm horrible learning through text. I need images/video to learn quicker and more efficient.

- All the Client Orders are translated unless you mean the 3 sentences they say when you accept it. Or the other 3 sentences they say when you turn them in.
Those, if you don't know Japanese, you can easily get someone to tell you what it say as I don't care what anyone say... after the 1st and maybe 2nd time... you will not read that stuff ever again. You will cancel through it faster than Sonic's movement.

- Which NPC dialogue? You mean in mission? I've seen then being translated before. Only time I see it being untranslated is I think when some files get changed or updated killing the patch or whichever.

- I can't say for the story as I'm still on Episode 1. I wouldn't know and I'm not touching Episode 3 until I'm done with 1 and 2.

- Also can't say on ARKS Road as that was added by the time I was like 60 or something.

- As for items and PAs, I say it's more like 95% are translated. The only ones I don't think translated yet are those from updates within the last month or so.

- I don't think you know what Elitist mean.

shagia
Aug 17, 2015, 04:51 PM
Bragging about getting 100K subs is just...LOL. Keep in mind that we are talking about a country where other games sale MILLIONS. COD, GTA, Halo, Gears, Skyrim etc etc and just to humor you here are some Japanese made games that also sell a ton here Resident Evil (hell even the shitty RE6 sold over 5 million copies), Dark Souls, MGS, SF4, Hell even DOA sells pretty well here.

there's a reason why some publishers and investors spend so much on marketing (http://www.gamespot.com/articles/gta-publisher-game-development-getting-more-expens/1100-6425318/) (and even more than development) for their possibly shitty 'AAA' game and I'm willing to argue that this mentality that once you release in America, you're suddenly held up to Rockstar Games / Take Two expectations, your IP is suddenly as valuable as Call of Duty, is the reason why

to the guy who has been responding to me with the small ass text, just to let you know I have been ignoring all of your replies.
thanx for acknowledging my posts :wacko::wacko:

ArcaneTechs
Aug 17, 2015, 05:07 PM
You do realize that those numbers are pretty pathetic right? When compared to other games. Even for Japanese made games. Times have changed we aren't in the Dreamcast era anymore. Games need to sale in order for companies to stay afloat.

If a huge game company pours a ton of money on a project and it only sells 100K copies that's one hell of a flop. Again I don't think I need to tell you that.

We're talking about a game that had little to no marketing/advertising at all versus other companies who are bigger and spend millions of millions on marketing/advertising. If this game even had 100k subs that should somewhat good for a game that again had little to no advertising on it. AND REMEMBER, this was a time before f2p became more prevalent, subs were basically on most MMO's back then but now that f2p is well very popular and very well adopted by MMO Dev's then it's no wonder they're doing better than ever these days.

Now what about online games? Well there's that one game that has millions of subs what is it called? Oh right LoL.
League of Casuals has a monthly sub? Far as I know and heard, you only pay for the Legends (or hero's or w/e the hell they're called) and the game is free to download and playable for as much as you want. You can buy the characters with in-game currency as well.

Yet again another shitty example to use

You coming into this argument with "uhh..well dude..PSU made 100K subs in all of it's life time..." just shows just how trully niche the pso/psu market is in the US. The sad thing is that those 100K subs aren't from USA only they also include EU which just makes the whole picture look worse.
Again, poor marketing/advertising for PSU, the only way this game was getting people was pretty much word of mouth and not only that some people weren't fond of the monthly sub either so that was another deal breaker.

Damn...and I thought the FGC was a niche market. The more you know. .
Fighting Game Community? Not like fighting games aren't picking up or anything, not like it's becoming more and more popular everyday. (unless your not talking about FGC then idk) Otherwise you still have no idea what you're talking about

landman
Aug 17, 2015, 11:07 PM
;3284005']
- Last part you said... I would really take a PSOffline2 for the English release if they made it.
Before anyone look at me weird, I think it would be kind of awesome minus being able to play with people.
At least I know when PSO2 dies in Japan or wherever... I can still get to play PSO2... and it being offline mean people might be able to modify it to add al of the online features into it. I don't know. Just daydreaming here.

Agree 100%, I would take a permanent offline version even with no AC stuff at all over nothing, which is what we will have once the servers shut down. I hate not being able to play PSU Episode 3 for that exact same reason. Add split screen to that offline mode and boy, you have an excuse to charge a price for the retail release or a paid download.

[Ayumi]
Aug 18, 2015, 02:58 AM
Agree 100%, I would take a permanent offline version even with no AC stuff at all over nothing, which is what we will have once the servers shut down. I hate not being able to play PSU Episode 3 for that exact same reason. Add split screen to that offline mode and boy, you have an excuse to charge a price for the retail release or a paid download.

Yeah, it's partially why I'm keeping tabs on the Clementine server.
While I did beat EP3 all the way through, I know I didn't 100%++ the story as I didn't get all the side stories I'm sure.

And yeah I say if they were to fo a PSOffline2, make PC like system linking for multiplayer offline and of course for PS4 make the ability to play with 4 people offline just like how PSO used to be.
Once again, daydreaming.

HandOfThornz
Aug 18, 2015, 02:27 PM
If this is true, great news for those who wants to play PSO2 on console!

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/08/16/phantasy-star-online-2-headed-to-playstation-4-in-2016/

Also article here (basically same as above)
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/08/17/phantasy-star-online-2-announced-for-ps4-in-japan

:)

lemonlight16
Aug 18, 2015, 02:41 PM
There's already a thread for that

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230020

Zanverse
Aug 18, 2015, 02:48 PM
The comments on the IGN page gives me all kinds of brain diseases from reading them. People believe that SEGA isn't releasing this for Westerners because they think SEGA is "racist"? That could be it.

Or maybe they won't release it here because there is so much fucking japanese content that they'd have to rip out from the game itself to fit the western market. I mean, the typical Western MMO player would look at PSO2 and call it weaboo trash, and that's a fucking fact. To add onto that, SEGA of America, or whatever company that WOULD take up PSO2 US, would have to pay big bucks to keep some of the collab items in the game. And there's a LOT of collab items, ranging from weapon camos, costumes, MAGs, etc. If a damn SEGA representative like Yosuke Okunari (who was just ain my city for a SEGA presentation at an anime convention) confirmed this, than that's what it fucking is.

But hey I mean if people wanna assume that SEGA's being racist, that's fine too. Should I also mention the fact that 97% of western gamers these days tend to play a game for like, maximum 2 months before they throw it away and look for a new one? I doubt that I'm wrong on that. :wacko:

Noblewine
Aug 18, 2015, 06:59 PM
I heard about this but don't care.

Flaoc
Aug 18, 2015, 07:24 PM
I heard about this but don't care.

go back to spamming get hype and pestering new people for cards somewhere else

Zorak000
Aug 19, 2015, 08:38 AM
I like how they haven't had a blurb about this on the front page here

Admins/mods/whomever alseep at the wheel like always :v

Utterly Vile
Aug 19, 2015, 07:41 PM
Well I'm all for it. It brings back memories of my PSU days. But I will NOT undergo the lack of content, and disregard SEGAC had for the US/EU game.

Mr-Phelps
Aug 25, 2015, 11:17 AM
What does this mean for the US? I know the PS4 is region free. Would it be better just to import the game if there's an English version?

TaigaUC
Aug 25, 2015, 12:00 PM
I heard today that the Super Best Friends? podcast said SEGA officially announced they have absolutely no plans to bring PSO2 to North America.

However, they didn't seem to cite any sources, and I haven't seen anyone talk about it anywhere.
So, take that as you will.

Edit: Did a quick search and found various articles echoing that the PS4 version will not be released outside of Japan.
Seeing as how that was 3 days ago, I guess everybody already knows that by now.

Kondibon
Aug 25, 2015, 12:07 PM
I heard today that the Super Best Friends? podcast mentioned that SEGA officially announced that they have absolutely no plans to bring PSO2 to North America.That sounds like something they would joke about considering the lack of a western release has been a running gag for them since the game came out in japan.

Edit: Did a quick search and found various articles echoing that the PS4 version will not be released outside of Japan.
Seeing as how that was 3 days ago, I guess everybody already knows that by now.Hah, nevermind then.

SilverFoxR
Aug 25, 2015, 12:25 PM
So, let's recap, shall we?

-PSO2 originally set to launch for PC and Playstation Vita (cross play capable) for both Japan and North American audiences.
-PSO2 PC launches for Japan
-2-3 years of it being "pushed back", Sega officials pull a Valve and say "PSO2 for NA will be ready when it's ready", pretty much putting it into devellopment hell
-Sega JP tries to IP ban non-Japanese players from playing PSO2 JP, despite not having a NA version available.
-Sega gets a new CEO and, as a way to bring Sega fans back, allows NA players to play the "SEA" version of PSO2.
-Sega announces PSO2 JP gets a PS4 port, decides to leave the starved PSO2 NA fans out of the loop again.

To sum it up - F*** you, North America. Wanna play PSO2? Better come to Japan!

Or, to sum it up more simply - F*** you, Sega.

FantasyHeaven
Aug 25, 2015, 12:48 PM
-Sega JP tries to IP ban non-Japanese players from playing PSO2 JP, despite not having a NA version available.
-Sega gets a new CEO and, as a way to bring Sega fans back, allows NA players to play the "SEA" version of PSO2..
things that never happened

Zyrusticae
Aug 25, 2015, 12:48 PM
This never happened.

It was a side-effect of the countermeasures they enacted to prevent the DDOS attacks from putting the servers down. The lack of access to the site was down to the ISPs being slow to respond. At least on my end, I've never had trouble getting access to the game servers, only the official site.

-Sega gets a new CEO and, as a way to bring Sega fans back, allows NA players to play the "SEA" version of PSO2.
Wait, what? Is this some kind of revisionist history?

They never allowed NA players to play the SEA version. The IP block has always been there and has always been intended to be there. You can take this as tacit acceptance that the NA/EU players will continue to swarm the JP servers (ship 2 specifically) as they have been and they'd probably rather have that than the alternative of us being on the SEA servers.

Why? Don't ask me. That's on the SEA branch.

femme fatale
Aug 25, 2015, 12:58 PM
ah yes, the classic NA PSO2 pso-world posts

Anduril
Aug 25, 2015, 01:13 PM
Well, it is to be expected; often, when a person's desired outcome has not occurred, they attempt to create justifications as to why. On the one hand, you have those who demonize the entity that is supposed to give them what they want (ie. the "Fuck you, SEGA" people) in some hopes that this visceral reaction will cause change. On the other hand are those people who hold out hope and try to create scenarios where their desired outcome will still come about using any scrap of information as "proof" whilst ignoring counter-evidence (ie. people who took SEGA-Sammy saying that they are restructuring to be primarily digital distribution while ignoring the statement that their overseas market will be focused on strengthening the Sonic brand). Overall, people tend to forget that SEGA-Sammy is a company, they aren't saints or demons, and their primary concern is their profit margin, so if something is not perceived as profitable due to various reasons (possible low sales, rampant pirating of software, etc.), they won't bother.

Mr-Phelps
Aug 25, 2015, 01:14 PM
But what does this mean if you want to import it? Can they they still block your IP? Will it be playable offline? I guess I'll have to wait.

the_importer_
Aug 25, 2015, 01:17 PM
...Overall, people tend to forget that SEGA-Sammy is a company, they aren't saints or demons, and their primary concern is their profit margin, so if something is not perceived as profitable due to various reasons (possible low sales, rampant pirating of software, etc.), they won't bother.

And yet:

http://i59.tinypic.com/vniipj.png

Anduril
Aug 25, 2015, 01:18 PM
But what does this mean if you want to import it? Can they they still block your IP? Will it be playable offline? I guess I'll have to wait.
If you can't connect via the PC version, there is a chance that you won't be able to on the PS4 version; and again, they aren't actively blocking IPs except from SEA, but that is due to their deal with AsiaSoft. Also, PSO2 is strictly online only.

And yet:

http://i59.tinypic.com/vniipj.png
Doesn't require server infrastructure and staff to maintain it. Labor and employment costs are part of that whole "profit margin" thing. The reason that the SEA version on PSO2 exists is because AsiaSoft is the one who took over that part.

Zyrusticae
Aug 25, 2015, 01:22 PM
Doesn't require server infrastructure and staff to maintain it. Labor and employment costs are part of that whole "profit margin" thing. The reason that the SEA version on PSO2 exists is because AsiaSoft is the one who took over that part.
Not to mention the localization effort would likely be more involved than the SEA version, especially with regards to events, collaboration costumes, and the like. Stuff ain't cheap.

the_importer_
Aug 25, 2015, 01:25 PM
If you can't connect via the PC version, there is a chance that you won't be able to on the PS4 version; and again, they aren't actively blocking IPs except from SEA, but that is due to their deal with AsiaSoft. Also, PSO2 is strictly online only.

Doesn't require server infrastructure and staff to maintain it. Labor and employment costs are part of that whole "profit margin" thing.

Still required a translation team and paying for all of these songs to be included for sales outside of Japan. For a game that probably won't sale that much, that's probably not a great investment. I'm not complaining since I was unable to import this due to Nintendo's retarded region locking, but still, Miku's fanbase is not that high outside of Japan (use to have a peak a few years back, but that hype is done).

BTW, I posted this because you talked about low sales, PSO2 is free, so you opened up the door for all SEGA commercial games.

Anduril
Aug 25, 2015, 01:31 PM
Still required a translation team and paying for all of these songs to be included for sales outside of Japan. For a game that probably won't sale that much, that's probably not a great investment. I'm not complaining since I was unable to import this due to Nintendo's retarded region locking, but still, Miku's fanbase is not that high outside of Japan (use to have a peak a few years back, but that hype is done).

BTW, I posted this because you talked about low sales, PSO2 is free, so you opened up the door for all SEGA commercial games.
Yeah, but my point is that those are one-time costs versus the constant costs of maintaining an MMO and needing to make new licensing deals for every collaboration. If sales are low, they probably just won't bother releasing another Vocaloid game. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if they passed the localization to a small game studio who did it for relatively cheap for the sake of establishing a business relationship.

In terms of low sales regarding a f2p, we're talking about real money transactions. There's no way to know if the game will pick up "whales" who will spend enough on AC to create a profit after taking into account costs.

Overall, it is just a game of numbers. SEGA-Sammy's analysts have more information than we do as to the rational behind why they greenlight certain things versus others, and as the consumer we are merely at their mercy.

Frog
Aug 25, 2015, 01:43 PM
ah yes, the classic NA PSO2 pso-world posts

And here we have the classic newb telling the rest of us how it is. Really learned a lot in the last month of being a member here right?

Got ourselves a real Phantasy Star expert here!

the_importer_
Aug 25, 2015, 01:43 PM
Yeah, but my point is that those are one-time costs versus the constant costs of maintaining an MMO and needing to make new licensing deals for every collaboration. If sales are low, they probably just won't bother releasing another Vocaloid game. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if they passed the localization to a small game studio who did it for relatively cheap for the sake of establishing a business relationship.

In terms of low sales regarding a f2p, we're talking about real money transactions. There's no way to know if the game will pick up "whales" who will spend enough on AC to create a profit after taking into account costs.

Overall, it is just a game of numbers. SEGA-Sammy's analysts have more information than we do as to their rational as to why they greenlight certain things versus other, and as the consumer we are merely at their mercy.

I'm well aware that PSO2 would never be profitable for a North American audience. The lack for micro transactions that gives you any advantage and the lack of showing off your skills in a PVP is everything that the average westerner would runaway from.

That being said, you said "possible low sales, rampant pirating of software", so I was referring to commercial games.

And here we have the classic newb telling the rest of us how it is. Really learned a lot in the last month of being a member here right?

Said the guy with 151 posts :p

Mr-Phelps
Aug 25, 2015, 01:46 PM

Haven't tried the PC version was too busy waiting for the US release... we know how that went.^^; Just hoping things will be different when the PS4 version hits, even if I have to import it.

Frog
Aug 25, 2015, 01:48 PM
1 Kotaku article is not enough to crush my hopes.

It's now time to hit up Adam Boyes from Sony about this! It NEEDS to happen!

:D

Anduril
Aug 25, 2015, 01:49 PM
I'm well aware that PSO2 would never be profitable for a North American audience. The lack for micro transactions that gives you any advantage and the lack of showing off your skills in a PVP is everything that the average westerner would runaway from.

That being said, you said "possible low sales, rampant pirating of software", so I was referring to commercial games.

Said the guy with 151 posts :p

I just realized that I forgot to explain what I was specifically referring to. derp. That was referencing why they may also be hesitant to release another Phantasy Star game outside of Japan; rampant piracy and low sales (http://www.siliconera.com/2010/06/13/psp-and-ds-piracy-explained-in-pictures/)effected Phantasy Star Portable 2, being one of the possible reasons that PSPo2i was not released outside of Japan, and by extension a red flag for releasing PSO2.

Frog
Aug 25, 2015, 01:56 PM
Haven't tried the PC version was too busy waiting for the US release... we know how that went.^^; Just hoping things will be different when the PS4 version hits, even if I have to import it.
Yea, I'd like to believe that I could import it and play it. Since you can on most PS4 games since the system is region free. But in this case, Sega might IP block us.

the_importer_
Aug 25, 2015, 01:58 PM
I just realized that I forgot to explain what I was specifically referring to. derp. That was referencing why they may also be hesitant to release another Phantasy Star game outside of Japan; rampant piracy and low sales effected Phantasy Star Portable 2, being one of the possible reasons that PSPo2i was not released outside of Japan.

Oh I see. True for piracy since it's easy as shit to crack a PSP, but for sales, to be fair, PSP's major problem was the NDS and it's crushing jaws. The NDS system sold almost twice as many units worldwide, with a 2/3 ratio for the NDS in North America.

Frog
Aug 25, 2015, 01:58 PM
Was there an offline mode in the Vita version?

Anduril
Aug 25, 2015, 01:59 PM
Was there an offline mode in the Vita version?
Nope.

femme fatale
Aug 25, 2015, 02:25 PM

been lurking the forum for about a year and half now, always the same fools raging for NA release, these people need to stfu and play on the JP server already

[Ayumi]
Aug 25, 2015, 02:36 PM
been lurking the forum for about a year and half now, always the same fools raging for NA release, these people need to stfu and play on the JP server already

People have the right to rage/complain/whine/macarena if they want.
Doesn't change whether they'll get it or not, of course, but they can do it.

I used to always wait for the English releases as well until I saw what happened with PSU.

TaigaUC
Aug 25, 2015, 03:15 PM
I grew up not getting local releases of games I wanted.
When they did get localized, they were often butchered, censored, or had awful localization.
So, when I can, I just go for the original JP version.
It felt easier for me to learn the language than to put up with localization bullshit.

And yeah, Kotaku tends to cite blogs like Sankaku Complex as reputable sources, so they aren't exactly accurate.
But it's true that localizing and maintaining PSO2 would be a huge pain to deal with compared to something like Project Diva.
I would expect SEGA to have no plans to bring PS4 PSO2 to NA, especially when they couldn't be bothered porting the PC version.

SilkaN
Aug 25, 2015, 03:32 PM
And yeah, Kotaku tends to cite blogs like Sankaku Complex as reputable sources

Sankaku Complex

reputable sources

I lol'd

the_importer_
Aug 25, 2015, 03:36 PM
I lol'd

No kidding, I hope Hulk Hogan manages to sue Gawker out of existance along with it's spawned children like Kotaku.

Etherwolf
Aug 25, 2015, 04:29 PM
.......Did people really expect this to release western before the PC version?

Anduril
Aug 25, 2015, 04:57 PM
.......Did people really expect this to release western before the PC version?
I'm sure the mentality was "With a PS4 release, maybe Sony will take over the publishing for a Western release and make it an exclusive."

[Ayumi]
Aug 25, 2015, 05:24 PM
I'm sure the mentality was "With a PS4 release, maybe Sony will take over the publishing for a Western release and make it an exclusive."

"Exclusive" sounds like "Makes it isolated to only a US PS4 server on a small island by themselves."

Which doesn't sound pleasant.

Anduril
Aug 25, 2015, 06:23 PM
;3286120']"Exclusive" sounds like "Makes it isolated to only a US PS4 server on a small island by themselves."

Aye, but it has precedence with how they handled PSU on the XBOX360, so I imagine that thought could still seem hopeful for some people. But alternatively (assuming this scenario were to take place, which I highly doubt), if it were to do well enough as a PS4 exclusive, they could then finance and publish the PC version and allow cross-platform play (which Sony has done with various games in the past, like FFXI and FFXIV, the cross-platform part, I mean). It's not gonna happen, but it could be a plausible scenario.

the_importer_
Aug 25, 2015, 06:30 PM
;3286120']"Exclusive" sounds like "Makes it isolated to only a US PS4 server on a small island by themselves."

But a Japanese-only Online XBOX One game? Think about it, there won't be enough player fill fill an EQ party, let alone a full ship :p

Etherwolf
Aug 25, 2015, 06:41 PM
But a Japanese-only Online XBOX One game? Think about it, there won't be enough player fill fill an EQ party, let alone a full ship :p

I'm still not surprised about XBOX not doing well in Japan lol

[Ayumi]
Aug 25, 2015, 07:01 PM

Xbox 3 is horrible though.

Zyrusticae
Aug 25, 2015, 07:05 PM
;3286077']People have the right to rage/complain/whine/macarena if they want.
Doesn't change whether they'll get it or not, of course, but they can do it.

I used to always wait for the English releases as well until I saw what happened with PSU.
Of course.

It is also within our right to mock people for voicing that complaint. I can respect their right to say it while not respecting the actual sentiment within.

TaigaUC
Aug 25, 2015, 11:39 PM
Even if they set a precedent with XBOX, some things have changed since then.
I forget the reason, but SEGA has said they wouldn't bothered localizing games anymore (eg. Yakuza).
Although, they ended up giving in anyway.

wefwq
Aug 26, 2015, 01:00 AM
Even if they set a precedent with XBOX, some things have changed since then.
I forget the reason, but SEGA has said they wouldn't bothered localizing games anymore (eg. Yakuza).
Although, they ended up giving in anyway.
They are too scared to put false hope towards it's fans so they either keep silent or deny it even in the end they end up doing it anyway.

TaigaUC
Aug 26, 2015, 01:05 AM
Maybe they're waiting until they fix PSO2's outdated graphics?
Because by the time they release it in NA (if they ever do) it's going to look ultra outdated.

landman
Aug 26, 2015, 01:53 AM
Basically in 2013 fiscal year report the results were so bad that they decided to take a minimal risk and focus on what sells for each region separately, and for the west that was: Sonic, Total War, Football Manager and Alien. Then they bought Relic and Company of Heroes was added to that list.

Basically Binary Domain flopped, a game made with the western market in mind, and Yakuza Dead Souls also sold like crap (because it's crap). PSO2 was announced just a few months before those changes in Sega.

The first Miku game was some kind of "testing the waters", and it did good enough, it had minimal localization (only in-game titles /achievements I think, all lyrics were in romaji). Yakuza 5 is brought by Sony basically because yakuza fans spammed the "building the list" (the same as shenmue fans) but still they are doing a digital only release to minimalize risks.

Sony taking care of a game series like Yakuza makes sense, it's a quality exclusive for their system, but PSO2? This year Sony got rid of the SOE division (DCUO, Everquest), I don't think they are interested in that.

So, let's recap, shall we?

-PSO2 originally set to launch for PC and Playstation Vita (cross play capable) for both Japan and North American audiences.
-PSO2 PC launches for Japan
-2-3 years of it being "pushed back", Sega officials pull a Valve and say "PSO2 for NA will be ready when it's ready", pretty much putting it into devellopment hell
-Sega announces PSO2 JP gets a PS4 port, decides to leave the starved PSO2 NA fans out of the loop again.

To sum it up - F*** you, North America. Wanna play PSO2? Better come to Japan!

Or, to sum it up more simply - F*** you, Sega.
- Vita version was never announced for the west.
- Japan never IP banned connections, only chinese ones because of gold farmers and SEA ones because Asiasoft want's that ban.
- The SEA ipblock lift was never an invitation, it was an error. Stupid western sites making a big deal of it is a different thing.