PDA

View Full Version : Ignition Perry

Squal_FFVIII
Aug 27, 2015, 01:38 PM
Now this PA has been out for a while but I still don't know what it's uses are.

What is this PA good for and more importantly how does one use it properly?

I remember I tried it when it first came out and it just seemed like a lackluster PA to me. Has no super armor (gets interrupted when hit) the damage is meh, leaves you open for hits etc etc.

I heard that to get the most out of it you have to just guard first or something like that.

Can someone be kind enough to explain how to use it?

Sora3100
Aug 27, 2015, 01:51 PM
You press shift just before an enemy attacks you while doing the PA, you can't do this with the final two hits though.

Squal_FFVIII
Aug 27, 2015, 02:09 PM
Ahh ok that makes more sense. I thought I had to "just guard" first then do the PA. This sounds like a very situational PA.

Poyonche
Aug 27, 2015, 02:37 PM
Ignition Perry ?

http://img10.deviantart.net/1941/i/2011/261/b/9/daily_perry_19_by_fairytalesdream-d4a7wre.png

Raujinn
Aug 27, 2015, 03:11 PM
The timing on the parry is unforgiving when comparing to Just-Guard or many other protection skills the game offers. Not helped is that it doesn't give you super armor, so if you mess up you will be sent flying and it is dependent on your knowledge of the enemy and what mood their AI happens to be in at the time. It's also front-only, which makes some attacks irritating to parry as they can look like they're in front of you but as far as the game is concerned they're not. That said, landing it grants invuln for the remaining duration of the attack which is a massive payoff in its own right before the increased damage.

It's very good for bosses that aren't that mobile but do aggressively melee you or at least attack you in some form while being close to you. It lets you DPS them more consistently as you're not having to choose between dodging/guarding or attacking as you're effectively doing both. It's terrible against long range enemies or any enemy that likes to move around a lot.

It might not work for you, but what worked for me to practice the parry timing was to just hit up Ult Naberius by myself and just try to parry enemies. They're aggressive enough so you should get lots of opportunities to do so, just eat up the inevitable deaths and just keep at it til you get more confident with the timing. Like I say though, this worked for me but it might not for everyone.

Squal_FFVIII
Aug 27, 2015, 06:51 PM
The timing on the parry is unforgiving when comparing to Just-Guard or many other protection skills the game offers. Not helped is that it doesn't give you super armor, so if you mess up you will be sent flying and it is dependent on your knowledge of the enemy and what mood their AI happens to be in at the time. It's also front-only, which makes some attacks irritating to parry as they can look like they're in front of you but as far as the game is concerned they're not. That said, landing it grants invuln for the remaining duration of the attack which is a massive payoff in its own right before the increased damage.

It's very good for bosses that aren't that mobile but do aggressively melee you or at least attack you in some form while being close to you. It lets you DPS them more consistently as you're not having to choose between dodging/guarding or attacking as you're effectively doing both. It's terrible against long range enemies or any enemy that likes to move around a lot.

It might not work for you, but what worked for me to practice the parry timing was to just hit up Ult Naberius by myself and just try to parry enemies. They're aggressive enough so you should get lots of opportunities to do so, just eat up the inevitable deaths and just keep at it til you get more confident with the timing. Like I say though, this worked for me but it might not for everyone.

For all of SH super armor OE's are way better it seems.

My Hu/Fi is pure hp and s-atk so she has 1800HP in SH she can braindead pretty much every boss with a couple of super armor OE's.

I can also braindead the new Kuron area at XH.

Of course when I say "braindead" I mean it in a lose way meaning not fully braindead of course. You will be more optimal when you exploit the bosses weak spots etc etc. But you get the point ^^

This PA alone seems to only be good in the actual Ultimate Quest's cuz even with high hp the bosses still hit fairly hard. So I can see this PA working well there :D

Kokurokoki
Aug 27, 2015, 07:20 PM
Stumbled upon this by accident myself... well I guess that answers my question as to why they call it the Ignition Parry.

FacelessRed
Aug 27, 2015, 07:46 PM
I main Hu/Fi

It's unfortunately mostly useless. Takes long to do, not enough damage, and you can end up just cancelling the part of the PA that actually does damage trying to parry.

WEED420BLAZEIT
Aug 27, 2015, 08:11 PM
ignition parry in a nutshell

http://i.imgur.com/TjZMqoQ.jpg

TaigaUC
Aug 27, 2015, 10:10 PM
It kinda builds the gear bar quickly, so it's sorta useful for that if you're Fi/Hu.

Squal_FFVIII
Aug 28, 2015, 02:10 AM
Well seems like the PA overall "sucks" still even when you get the full effect.

I wish this PA was more of a "normal" PA than a gimicky PA.

It looks really cool and its the only sword pa that looks like a combo.

It kinda reminds me of Claude's "Mirror Slice" special art from Star Ocean 2. Kudo's to anyone who played this game back in the 90's for PSX. I still have mine in mint condition <3

LonelyGaruga
Aug 28, 2015, 03:02 AM
Ignite Parrying's damage is doubled when you get a successful JG. Couple that with an increase in speed (by half a second, normal execution is 190f, with JG is 160f, about 15% increase) and the lowered PP cost by Just Guard PP Gain and it's actually a very rewarding PA when used, with fantastic DPS and damage/PP ratio.

Some examples (http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm26882439) of it being (http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm26288402) used well (http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm26981773).

Squal_FFVIII
Aug 28, 2015, 10:01 AM
With that 15 fps and terrible low quality video it was very hard to see anything. But thanks anyways.

To be fair the site did warn me about being in "free mode" and that the quality would suffer for it lol.

Sayara
Aug 28, 2015, 10:59 AM
Those are so amazing and inspirational

I wish i just didnt suck at Guarding enemies :x

Xaelouse
Aug 28, 2015, 12:38 PM
It's kinda silly they intentionally go to 1 HP in all those videos. Guess it's to spike the "wow" factor.

LonelyGaruga
Aug 28, 2015, 01:08 PM
It guarantees no damage taken during super armor/from non-flinching attacks/from mistimed blocks. Might also have maxed Halfline/Deadline Slayer, but maybe not.

sol_trigger
Aug 30, 2015, 09:22 PM
Ignition Perry ?

http://img10.deviantart.net/1941/i/2011/261/b/9/daily_perry_19_by_fairytalesdream-d4a7wre.png

QFT .