PDA

View Full Version : PSO2TGS 2015 Trailer PS4 Version

Manta Oyamada
Sep 15, 2015, 03:08 AM
http://i.minus.com/ieYlCpav2JZok.jpg

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FLSeqOoMJY

Maenara
Sep 15, 2015, 03:11 AM
Looks like they just tossed some better shaders in without updating textures.

EvilMag
Sep 15, 2015, 03:13 AM
soooo they're basically pulling what nintendo did with wind waker hd?

Maenara
soooo they're basically pulling what nintendo did with wind waker hd?

Wind Waker at least used cel shading, which has very scalable graphics.

final_attack
Much glow ..... doesn't remember VitaSword, Mizer and BurnDraal emits that much glow o-o

textures seems to be more detailed? The wall's rocks ..... doesn't seems to have that much details atm o-o

Grasses on Naberius seems to be better too o-o Hmm ... more detail, maybe? :o

I wonder if PC version will get the same update at the same time as PS4 one.

Nyansan
Sep 15, 2015, 03:17 AM
I do hope you can disable some of the extra bloom, coz playing with that much glow is gonna give me a headache =.=;

Although, it looks like they've improved lighting to a degree as well by adding specular maps to many of the game assets.

Shadowth117
Sep 15, 2015, 03:28 AM
They added at least normal maps to the the scenery. Too bad it looks like Halo 2 resolution.

I'll give them that the bloom and such are neat, if a little overbearing in places. Reminds me somewhat of Nova.

TaigaUC
Sep 15, 2015, 03:47 AM
So it's basically ENBseries. Because it totally looks like it.

More saturation is good, but I'm not liking the way they did it.
Some places are ridiculously bright to the point that I can't really see.
Well, some of the map design doesn't allow for good lighting.

Rupikachu
Sep 15, 2015, 03:58 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CJtXXJCVEAAo-rI.jpg:large

Just replace keyboard and mouse for ps4 controller

TaigaUC
Sep 15, 2015, 04:01 AM
Haha ha ha ahaaaaa

I can't believe I didn't think of that :(

Well, now PSO2 can be ridiculously bright in the comfort of your living room, even when there's nothing going on in-game.

landman
Sep 15, 2015, 04:07 AM
Rocks and walls look like varnished, but the definition of the video is not too clear, and I didn't see it better on the streaming.

Maenara
Sep 15, 2015, 04:12 AM
Vol Dragon seems to have the same lowres textures in the trailer.

TaigaUC
Sep 15, 2015, 04:18 AM
Just making sure, is this absolute confirmed real footage, or just someone messing around with PC visual enhancement mods?

Maenara
Sep 15, 2015, 04:22 AM
Specular maps aren't simple mods, requiring actual texture work.

Why Sega wouldn't update textures if they're going through the work of making specular maps, I haven't the slightest clue.

Totori
Sep 15, 2015, 04:24 AM
That bloom, hopefully it won't be too killer... Still excited~

TaigaUC
Sep 15, 2015, 04:26 AM

Why Sega wouldn't update textures if they're going through the work of making specular maps, I haven't the slightest clue.

I know that, but I recall tweaking an ENB? once and there was an option for enabling specular despite the lack of maps. This was a long time ago.
It's possible to make shit spec maps by taking the existing texture and desaturating/changing the contrast, so I thought it was automatically generating them that way.
Or using the diffuse as information for pseudo spec maps.

Kinaya
Sep 15, 2015, 04:27 AM
Who needs a ps4 version when you have the superior pc version ^-^

Rupikachu
Sep 15, 2015, 04:28 AM

I'm pretty sure they had specular maps already in game data

Maenara
Who needs a ps4 version when you have the superior pc version ^-^

Sega is gonna give PS4 superior graphics and then not let PC have it.

AzureAsh
I'm excited to be able to play PSO2 on my couch without having to hook up my PC.

but oh lord the bloom is intense.

TaigaUC
Sep 15, 2015, 04:30 AM
I wonder if the devs were just porting PSO2 to PS4 casually, and then they saw "oh look, built in ENB-style visual enhancement options! Let's fiddle with those!"
Because they couldn't be bothered making it themselves for their own engine on PC.

Well, I wouldn't know anything about porting to PS4.

Kinaya
Sep 15, 2015, 04:31 AM
Sega is gonna give PS4 superior graphics and then not let PC have it.

You can tweak the graphics on PC with tools like the nvidia stuff or other things, so yeah PC still shits on PS4 that won't change

Maenara
Sep 15, 2015, 04:32 AM
I remember modding Fallout New Vegas to support ENB. It can look pretty nice, configured correctly.

You can tweak the graphics on PC with tools like the nvidia stuff or other things, so yeah PC still shits on PS4 that won't change

I was being facetious.

TaigaUC
Sep 15, 2015, 04:33 AM
Simply making surfaces shinier isn't enough to fix the environments, anyway.
That might even make the low poly geometry stand out even more.

Maenara
Sep 15, 2015, 04:33 AM
I would really love to get on board with a modder who has the skills to update textures and models.

TaigaUC
Sep 15, 2015, 04:35 AM
For Fallout New Vegas?

If I had the tools, I could update textures and models, but I don't think I could be bothered doing the entire game.
If I had the time and motivation to redo the entire game, I should just make my own game in Unreal Engine 4.

I would just fix the stuff that bugs me. Like that huge indentation on the legs of the Airy Dress.
Or the pregnant bellies on outfits like Rin's Absolute Layer.
Or the messed up anatomy like the lack of toes on a ton of the outfits.

Maenara
Sep 15, 2015, 04:36 AM
For Fallout New Vegas?

If I had the tools, I could update textures and models, but I don't think I could be bothered doing the entire game.
I would just fix the stuff that bugs me. Like that huge indentation on the legs of the Airy Dress.
Or the pregnant bellies on outfits like Rin's Absolute Layer.

No, for PSO2. Hahaha.

And yeah, absolute layer has that massive gravidness going on.

TaigaUC
Sep 15, 2015, 04:38 AM
"Check out PSO2 for PS4! Makes me wanna update Fallout New Vegas!"

Speaking of which, Fallout 4 is out soon.
I'll probably be looking into modding for that.

Maenara
Sep 15, 2015, 04:48 AM
So excited for Fallout 4. Looks fucking amazing.

TaigaUC
Sep 15, 2015, 05:08 AM
PSO2, PS4. Some environment stuff kinda does look like it has higher res.
Note that the video says "this is a work in progress", so maybe it will look better later.
[spoiler-box]http://i61.tinypic.com/2h2f33c.jpg
http://i58.tinypic.com/t6p3c8.jpg
http://i60.tinypic.com/2pp0b9z.jpg
http://i60.tinypic.com/333fjly.jpg[/spoiler-box]

For fun, Fallout 4 shots.
[spoiler-box]https://nextgenerationgamerdotcom.files.wordpress.com/2015/06/screenshot-235.png
http://assets1.ignimgs.com/2015/06/05/fallout4kjpg-64b4f3.jpg
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/491/17891038783_46ef96a1c6_o.png
http://i.imgur.com/5YtZi77.jpg[/spoiler-box]

Bonus:
[spoiler-box]http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/425943914929376827/409D66AAD66E7CC9C0F24BF74D5215A3ECA255F8/[/spoiler-box]

Kiboune
Sep 15, 2015, 05:23 AM
Ugh,all this bloom and shiny textures burns my eyes.
But everything else looks cool.Especially water

Kondibon
Sep 15, 2015, 05:26 AM
I'm just going to hope it looks like that because of the way they had the brightness and saturation set up on the screen.

EDIT: hell that's even assuming we GET the graphic updates on the PC version.

Shadowth117
Sep 15, 2015, 06:09 AM
I'm just going to hope it looks like that because of the way they had the brightness and saturation set up on the screen.

EDIT: hell that's even assuming we GET the graphic updates on the PC version.

inb4 they ninja nerf the graphics in the PC version to emphasize the PS4 more.

TaigaUC
Sep 15, 2015, 06:29 AM
Ninja nerfing the PC graphics is way too much work for SEGA.

Kondibon
Sep 15, 2015, 06:31 AM
Joking aside, I will be REALLY surprised if there aren't weird graphical problems if and when this hits the PC verions.

TaigaUC
Sep 15, 2015, 06:31 AM
It'll be funnier if they reveal that the PS4 version only runs at 30fps or something.

Kondibon
Sep 15, 2015, 06:33 AM
It'll be funnier if they reveal that the PS4 version only runs at 30fps or something.Plot twist, in order to use the new graphic options in the PC you need to throttle the frame rate to 30 fps. :wacko:

Husq
Sep 15, 2015, 07:08 AM
But FFXIV ps4 version is getting Playsation.VR support! So PSO2 will be 480p@120hz as well!

Ezodagrom
Sep 15, 2015, 07:15 AM
Same trailer uploaded by a different user, seems a little bit less shiny:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zDWopB80pg

TaigaUC
Sep 15, 2015, 07:29 AM
Just looks like what happens when you keep reuploading (reencoding) the video over and over.
Doesn't really change what I first saw, I think.

Well, again, there's a notice in the video saying it's still WIP.
So, whatever they have on the 17th might be different.

Ezodagrom
Sep 15, 2015, 07:34 AM
Screenshot posted on twitter:

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/CO7s9khUsAESpkx.jpg:large

isCasted
Sep 15, 2015, 07:38 AM
Coloring of new Naberius textures doesn't feel bright enough. All those leaves also feel excessive now.

Stage layouts themselves are just as low-poly as before (it might be WIP, but I can't be sure that SEGA is aware of the problem).

Grass, water and Vopar stuff look great, though.

Meteor Weapon
Sep 15, 2015, 07:45 AM
Their showcase is around the corner though.

TaigaUC
Sep 15, 2015, 07:57 AM
That looks a lot better, except for the fact that RockBear blends in way too much and I can barely make him out.
Also, the grassy rock wall stuff looks absolutely horrible, I don't think I've ever seen anything like that in reality.

In general, I think more colors would have been nice, for contrast.
For example, of the rocks were gray or something, instead of being green like everything else.
Gray, with visible moss patches.

Edit: What I described is how Forest 1 looks like right now, it seems.
I'm looking at the Forest 2 textures now, and the original textures look better.
So, it seems they redid some of the textures, and somehow made them look worse.

Sega should hire some proper environmental artists.

Edit2: I took a shot for comparison.

http://i59.tinypic.com/30j2mtk.jpg
http://pbs.twimg.com/media/CO7s9khUsAESpkx.jpg:large

Now look what happens if I do a simple Photoshop on my screenshot.
All I did was add a layer of bloom, upped saturation in general, saturation of green shadows and blue highlights, and adjusted levels to darken the image.
I also resized it to 720p, which tends to eliminate jaggy uglybits and make things look nice and smooth.

http://i62.tinypic.com/35i5fmg.jpg

landman
Sep 15, 2015, 08:24 AM
It's not strange for a rainforest to have rocks and mud green, but it's still ugly as hell, they really look like they don't belong there, I feel some vines would help hide the plain design, but that would not work on Lilipa and the chunks of stone randomly dropped here and there have the same problem.

Kondibon
Sep 15, 2015, 08:29 AM
I'm more worried about that saturation and contrast. I never expected any big changes to the scenery anyway.

At least the bloom isn't as bad as in nova.

TaigaUC
Sep 15, 2015, 08:43 AM
Yeah, if you look at the shot I took, the current game has moss and vines on the rocks.
But the new one just has weird cracks or something? And the new vines on the other rocks look worse.

SolRiver
Sep 15, 2015, 08:55 AM
I will wait for my judgement until I get to play it.

I am looking forward to seabed's visual improvement the most... maybe kuron too.

TaigaUC
Sep 15, 2015, 08:56 AM
I wouldn't mind if Seabed stayed looking pretty much the way it does now, I guess.

Qualia
Sep 15, 2015, 08:57 AM
Those shadows though <3
Also I hope they make reflections actually look like they're reflecting things.

TaigaUC
Sep 15, 2015, 09:22 AM
I doubt it, realtime reflections are expensive to render.
If anything, maybe they'll make the reflection maps look better.

Zyrusticae
Sep 15, 2015, 09:30 AM
Screen-space local reflections are cheap as hell, though. Even the PS4, with its laptop-tier hardware, can handle that much.

TaigaUC
Sep 15, 2015, 09:39 AM
Oh? I'm really behind then.

Zorak000
Sep 15, 2015, 10:03 AM
I mean, I knew they would have to only mess with shaders, lighting, and reflections; if they redid textures and models, either it's be too much work to redo every enemy and outfit and everything, or they leave something out of the redux and it looks jarring and out of place.

Would I have liked to see better models and textures? Sure! But I knew they didn't have it in them to do that.

TaigaUC
Sep 15, 2015, 10:06 AM
Well, like I said, it looks like they did redo the textures. For the environments, anyway.
Not sure about characters yet.

Shirai
Sep 15, 2015, 10:13 AM
kinda expected more of a graphics upgrade, not sure why.
it's SEGGGAAAAA afterall shouldn't have expected much.

Wonder if they did any changes to the character models though, doubt it

Zyrusticae
Sep 15, 2015, 10:24 AM
It's too bad the PS4 can't handle tessellation.

That would have been a godsend for the character models.

Arkanoid
Sep 15, 2015, 10:54 AM
Oh no, did they just "improve" the graphics by making things shiny? This is like Sonic Adventure DX. Are these "improvements" coming to the superior platform as well?

Mysterious-G
Sep 15, 2015, 11:00 AM
Oh no, did they just "improve" the graphics by making things shiny? This is like Sonic Adventure DX. Are these "improvements" coming to the superior platform as well?

No such announcement has been made regarding the Vita version of Phantasy Star Online 2 at this point

[Ayumi]
Sep 15, 2015, 11:13 AM
As I said on youtube...
"Why does the walls look like old soggy wet meatballs and puss that was coloured?
No thank you."

At least on PC that horrible non sense can be turned off.

kazuuya
Sep 15, 2015, 11:43 AM
Umm this literally looks to me as if they just added a hellton of normal maps (the Nab walls), ambient occlusion maps and added some bling blinb bloom everywhere. But I'll wait for Segas official presentation before I pass my judgement.

Zyrusticae
Sep 15, 2015, 01:51 PM
I have to admit, I REALLY like the new weapon glow. That's how I feel it always should have looked.

The game in general looks a bit closer to the CG intros now, but still, the quality overall has not improved much. Especially with how excessive some of the normal mapping is (what is with those forest walls?). I'll accept it, however. More shininess is better than nothing.

Maninbluejumpsuit
Sep 15, 2015, 02:52 PM
I have to admit, I REALLY like the new weapon glow. That's how I feel it always should have looked.

That could be the same models as always, but bloom creating the illusion. Even with 720p, I doubt a good bit of what I see in that video...

Maenara
Sep 15, 2015, 03:27 PM

The game in general looks a bit closer to the CG intros now, but still, the quality overall has not improved much. Especially with how excessive some of the normal mapping is (what is with those forest walls?). I'll accept it, however. More shininess is better than nothing.

Man, I would kill to have the game look straight-up like the CG trailers.

TaigaUC
Sep 15, 2015, 03:52 PM
Was talking about PSO1 weapons vs PSO2 with knowledgeable JP friend.
I'd forgotten what the PSO1 weapons looked like. They're so much better.
Take Stag Cutlery for example.
In the original game, the handle is small and dark silver/black. The photon blades are long, with fiery white cores. Makes them look very intense. The design is generally very similar to Star Wars.
http://sky.ap.teacup.com/falcon_album/timg/middle_1200386660.jpg

In PSO2, the handle is ridiculously long, and colored light grey/purple. The blades are tiny, and a generic near-flat red. Looks terrible in general. The intricate detail on the handle is even absent.
http://cdn32.atwikiimg.com/pso2_filament/?plugin=ref&serial=357

It'd be nice if PSO2's photon blades looked more like 1.

ieptav
Sep 15, 2015, 05:22 PM
The weapon glow is definitely an improvement, can't say the same about the walls though.

NoiseHERO
Sep 15, 2015, 06:02 PM
No shame in using a theme from PSO1 huh. just tryna snatch up those straggling PSO fans who didn't wanna get PC or vita version I guess.

Squal_FFVIII
Sep 15, 2015, 06:41 PM
Now the real question is...

Will the ps2 version also suffer from the dreaded "weapon switch lag/bad client" problem? :O

Or will it run at a buttery smooth 60fps with no stutter or slowdowns? :O

On a side note, you guys remember how bad the xbox 360 version of psu ran? XD fps drops were brutal on that version specially with certain techs too.

doomdragon83
Sep 15, 2015, 07:22 PM
On a side note, you guys remember how bad the xbox 360 version of psu ran? XD fps drops were brutal on that version specially with certain techs too.
I remember needing to aim the camera down in quests like Egg Thieves to reduce the slowness.

WEED420BLAZEIT
Sep 15, 2015, 07:58 PM
oh man....i can see some scenarios happening in the future as result of this graphical differences between PC and PS4

assuming PC doesn't get graphical update:

PS4 player:"hey, man nice to meet you, let's party up to kill some vol dragon"
PC Player: "oh you're PS4 guy? are you a PS4 guy? lol no i got better things to do, you can party up with your graphics, later"

speculations indeed, but i can see it happening

Utterly Vile
Sep 15, 2015, 08:06 PM
Now the real question is...

Will the ps2 version also suffer from the dreaded "weapon switch lag/bad client" problem? :O

Or will it run at a buttery smooth 60fps with no stutter or slowdowns? :O

OMG, the drops were absolutely HIDEOUS!!!... Not to mention the "rare" distribution system....*Sigh I still miss it..Lol good times.:D

Lumpen Thingy
Sep 15, 2015, 08:22 PM
OMG, the drops were absolutely HIDEOUS!!!... Not to mention the "rare" distribution system....*Sigh I still miss it..Lol good times.:D

Really? I thought it was fucking cancer.

LunaSolstice
Sep 15, 2015, 09:26 PM
Tranmizer looked nice with the gloss but phase 3 Vol Dragon on the other hand looked too bright lol

Lumpen Thingy
Sep 15, 2015, 11:48 PM
No such announcement has been made regarding the Vita version of Phantasy Star Online 2 at this point

hope that's a joke

Utterly Vile
Sep 16, 2015, 01:29 AM
Really? I thought it was fucking cancer.

Ummm.... that would be an understatement actually. But I did enjoy myself at times. I did a 5 year tour of it (stupid, stupid, stupid).... But I labored to the very end until I went JP side, and never returned.:-?

wefwq
Sep 16, 2015, 02:04 AM
I would rather have them to fix the PC game performance first...

Kondibon
Sep 16, 2015, 02:31 AM
I would rather have them to fix the PC game performance first...I don't have that many games under my belt, but I've never had any problems with PSO2's performance. Is it actually a common thing?

Flaoc
Sep 16, 2015, 02:38 AM
I don't have that many games under my belt, but I've never had any problems with PSO2's performance. Is it actually a common thing?

considering the game performance is random everytime you start it up (the good and bad client situation) id say yes this would be a very welcome fix

Kondibon
Sep 16, 2015, 02:48 AM
considering the game performance is random everytime you start it up (the good and bad client situation) id say yes this would be a very welcome fixI've still never noticed this. Or at least it never seemed random. I know the game will run slower indefinately if my computer is already doing a lot when I start it up, but if my computer isn't already using too many resources it runs fine even if I start a bunch of stuff in the background after it's started.

Or maybe my computer is just so old that I can't ever get the "good" performance anyway.
http://i.imgur.com/NSMQzYg.gif

Ezodagrom
Sep 16, 2015, 02:50 AM
considering the game performance is random everytime you start it up (the good and bad client situation) id say yes this would be a very welcome fix
The only times I have framerate drops are in populated lobbies or because I'm forcing 4xSGSSAA, I've seen people mention that good/bad client stuff, but I've never noticed such a thing.

Flaoc
Sep 16, 2015, 02:57 AM
it is most noticeable when people are swapping weapons often

Kondibon
Sep 16, 2015, 03:05 AM
it is most noticeable when people are swapping weapons oftenDoesn't that ALWAYS happen with certain weapons? Either way, I don't think it's random. I agree that I hope they do something about it eventually. Maybe they should find a way to cache the equipped weapons of everyone in the MPA. That might make weapon swapping in general more usable.

EDIT: actually wasn't there some research done on it, do you have a link to that or something?

Ezodagrom
Sep 16, 2015, 03:19 AM
Never had any problems with switching weapons either.

Kondibon
Sep 16, 2015, 03:28 AM
Never had any problems with switching weapons either.
I dunno what the either is for. I have the problem all the time. . _.
It's honestly only a problem if you swap weapons a lot and use a lot of weapons that have extra animations and whatnot, but... I swap weapons a lot and use a lot of weapons that have extra animations and whatnot so...

Ezodagrom
Sep 16, 2015, 03:46 AM
I dunno what the either is for. I have the problem all the time. . _.
It's honestly only a problem if you swap weapons a lot and use a lot of weapons that have extra animations and whatnot, but... I swap weapons a lot and use a lot of weapons that have extra animations and whatnot so...
The "either" was meant as a continuation to my post in the previous page.
> I haven't had any abnormal framerate problems.
> I haven't had problems with swapping weapons either.

wefwq
Sep 16, 2015, 04:29 AM
I don't have that many games under my belt, but I've never had any problems with PSO2's performance. Is it actually a common thing?
PSO2 are the one of those games that are not well optimized, in fact -- the optimization are pretty shit.
If SEGA are actually trying to work fixing it, we're probably can see some graphical effect upgrade in the future instead of having them disabling some effects (permanently, mind you) just to make the game slightly runs better or sometimes not any better.

Yes, this.
It's kind of "annoying" when you're playing on MPA EQ and some people decide to swapping weapon a lot, game framerate will dip in every second they swap a weapon, but sometimes it don't.
Also usage of macro will yield the same result, but worse.

Kondibon
Sep 16, 2015, 06:40 AM
The "either" was meant as a continuation to my post in the previous page.
> I haven't had any abnormal framerate problems.
> I haven't had problems with swapping weapons either.My bad.

PSO2 are the one of those games that are not well optimized, in fact -- the optimization are pretty shit.
If SEGA are actually trying to work fixing it, we're probably can see some graphical effect upgrade in the future instead of having them disabling some effects (permanently, mind you) just to make the game slightly runs better or sometimes not any better.
Like I said, I probably just notice because my computer is like 10 years old.

landman
Sep 16, 2015, 06:48 AM
I had that problem once long ago. I got a better GPU and problem solved.

Zyrusticae
Sep 16, 2015, 09:46 AM
Yeeeaaaah, not sure what you folks are on about...

Though I have the game installed on a SSD and run with two GTX 970s, so I would be really angry if I had any such performance issues.

Qualia
Sep 16, 2015, 10:13 AM
I only have an R7 260x, and still don't notice any performance issues.

Lumpen Thingy
Sep 16, 2015, 03:27 PM
I have one 770 and this weapon swapping issue just disappeared for me

Shady3011
Sep 16, 2015, 03:32 PM
Pretty sure it's a CPU issue and not a GPU one. I'd honestly be surprised if things like that are actually offloaded onto the GPU.

BlankM
Sep 16, 2015, 04:42 PM
I have an i5-4690k with PSO2 running on an SSD with a gtx 970 and I still experience random weapon switch lag pretty often. Even playing on lowest settings only seems to slightly minimize it. I'm not sure if PSO2 doesn't allocate enough memory or what but it does seem incredibly random.

That feel when you gotta RNG just to play an RNG game without lag.

Qualia
Sep 16, 2015, 05:28 PM
I'm on an AMD FX-8350, and still have no issues.

Shadowth117
Sep 16, 2015, 06:33 PM
I'm on an AMD FX-8350, and still have no issues.

You likely don't even know what you're looking for. Essentially, the game halts for a tiny moment when weapons switch with some being much worse than others. On a i7 5820k, I've seen the issue countless times. Its most noticeable in parties with weapon switch dashing or in large mpa's where people are messing with things constantly. Just fyi, this stuff happens even on the Vita version so its literally a flaw with Sega's engine itself no matter how you want to spin it.

You can make it almost imperceptible by getting a "good client" but this is easiest when you have as little running on your computer as possible which is clearly obnoxious. Even with 16GB of RAM, you won't consistently get whatever causes a "good client" and so its a very annoying issue to deal with if you're specifically looking to avoid it.

Maenara
Sep 16, 2015, 06:48 PM
I've seen people talking about 'good clients', which I presume are times you boot up the game and it has relatively less overall lag the entire time you have it up... how do you tell if you have a 'good client'?

Shadowth117
Sep 16, 2015, 07:03 PM
I've seen people talking about 'good clients', which I presume are times you boot up the game and it has relatively less overall lag the entire time you have it up... how do you tell if you have a 'good client'?

The best way I've found is to log in and get to the character select menu. There are ways you can see sooner that aren't as easy to measure, but essentially you highlight a character so the model loads. Then you highlight another character. You can continue to highlight characters so they load to test it as much as you want, but what you're looking for is a noticeable skip in the spinning disks in the background. If you notice a clear blip of any kind, than you'll see comparable blips ingame whenever characters or weapons load.

I can probably make a video showcasing it.

Ezodagrom
Sep 16, 2015, 07:24 PM
Another screenshot of Phantasy Shine Online 2.

http://www.bumped.org/psublog/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/PSO2-PS4.png

Shadowth117
Sep 16, 2015, 07:44 PM
Another screenshot of Phantasy Shine Online 2.

http://www.bumped.org/psublog/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/PSO2-PS4.png

You know, if they're going to make a big scene of how great their game looks, you'd think they'd give hd screenshots....

Manta Oyamada
Sep 16, 2015, 08:35 PM
New Trailer PS4 Version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyKFnrKGslk

Maenara
Sep 16, 2015, 08:37 PM
You know, if they're going to make a big scene of how great their game looks, you'd think they'd give hd screenshots....

Since it's PS4, you have to choose two of the following: HD, good looking visuals, and 60 FPS.

Shadowth117
Sep 16, 2015, 08:59 PM
Since it's PS4, you have to choose two of the following: HD, good looking visuals, and 60 FPS.

Okay, but there's a difference between 640x360 and the resolution that the game will actually run at. If it was like the screenshot I quoted, it'd be lower resolution than the Vita version. I don't honestly believe even SEGA would try and get away with that.

And for anyone interested in the client BS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaNsKvaODlI

Ignore the derpy purple char, but basically what you're looking for is the abrupt halt in the game while the characters are loading. Notice how in the second clip its visually nonexistent (I eyed it, but I'm fairly sure its not dropping many frames if any in that one). If you go ingame with characters loading like in the first clip, you'll notice everything that loads will cause that blip to varying degrees.

The best way to get a good client imo is to free up your memory by closing big programs like web browsers, particularly if you're running off 8gb or less, run the game off a relatively fast hdd (it doesn't need to be an SSD, but I've heard it can be slightly easier off one), and to test it in the character select screen like I showed. This way, you're not loading into the game every time to test weapon swaps.

Also of note is that if the title screen loads up noticeably more slowly after skipping videos that that is often a sign of a bad client itself although reading it purely off that doesn't offer a great way of judging one way or the other.

Edit: You may want to use Youtube itself for my video so you can see it in 60 FPS rather than 30.

Zyrusticae
Sep 16, 2015, 09:28 PM
New Trailer PS4 Version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyKFnrKGslk
FTFY. Gotta remove the 's' in 'https' for the inline media player to work.

And man, they have got to reduce the depth on those forest wall textures. That just looks tasteless...

Edit: Okay, the motion blur seems to have been improved considerably. Looks pretty Dark Souls-ish now. Also really like the color grading, and the volcanic caves have improved tremendously. The other areas don't seem to benefit nearly as much, however. The tundra and desert in particular still look like complete arse - they just won't look any good without a complete asset overhaul.

Either way, it is an upgrade, and I would be very happy to see all of this on my PC.

The Walrus
Sep 16, 2015, 09:45 PM
sure is a lot of bloom

Taurus83
Sep 16, 2015, 09:54 PM
does the trees branch and leaf still flat?

Shadowth117
Sep 16, 2015, 09:56 PM
And man, they have got to reduce the depth on those forest wall textures. That just looks tasteless...

Sega is still living in '05 there.

[spoiler-box]http://i.imgur.com/cNx6fut.jpg[/spoiler-box]

Qualia
Sep 16, 2015, 09:56 PM
the real question is does the draw distance still suck tho

Shadowth117
Sep 16, 2015, 09:57 PM
the real question is does the draw distance still suck tho

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230144

Screw draw distance limits.

Qualia
Sep 16, 2015, 09:58 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230144

Screw draw distance limits.

Aware of this. Still bannable, though.

Maenara
Sep 16, 2015, 10:08 PM
Aware of this. Still bannable, though.

It's not bannable because it doesn't allow any behavior that can be detected server-side.

Qualia
Sep 16, 2015, 10:36 PM
It's not bannable because it doesn't allow any behavior that can be detected server-side.

Just because it can't be detected doesn't mean it's not a bannable offense.

Maenara
Sep 16, 2015, 10:44 PM
Using the English patch is a bannable offense and so is playing the game from overseas.

Qualia
Sep 16, 2015, 10:46 PM
Absolutely aware of this as well. My point still stands, though.

Squal_FFVIII
Sep 16, 2015, 10:46 PM
Okay, but there's a difference between 640x360 and the resolution that the game will actually run at. If it was like the screenshot I quoted, it'd be lower resolution than the Vita version. I don't honestly believe even SEGA would try and get away with that.

PSO2 Bad Client vs Good Client - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaNsKvaODlI)

Ignore the derpy purple char, but basically what you're looking for is the abrupt halt in the game while the characters are loading. Notice how in the second clip its visually nonexistent (I eyed it, but I'm fairly sure its not dropping many frames if any in that one). If you go ingame with characters loading like in the first clip, you'll notice everything that loads will cause that blip to varying degrees.

The best way to get a good client imo is to free up your memory by closing big programs like web browsers, particularly if you're running off 8gb or less, run the game off a relatively fast hdd (it doesn't need to be an SSD, but I've heard it can be slightly easier off one), and to test it in the character select screen like I showed. This way, you're not loading into the game every time to test weapon swaps.

Also of note is that if the title screen loads up noticeably more slowly after skipping videos that that is often a sign of a bad client itself although reading it purely off that doesn't offer a great way of judging one way or the other.

Edit: You may want to use Youtube itself for my video so you can see it in 60 FPS rather than 30.

Good stuff I see exactly what you mean now. It's very noticeable if you aren't blind.

The first part looks like it chokes a bit but the second part looks very smooth. You can see it on the background spinning thingies.

I play on a pretty nice PC. Corei7 4790K oced 4.6ghz/16 gigs of HyperX savage ram clocked at 2400mhz/two crucial mx200 SSD's with a WD Black 1tb HDD this is all connected to a Asus Maximus VII motherboard.

The weakest part of my PC is the GTX 670 that I do my gaming on.

With this setup my game always stutters when people switch weapons, and the lobby is always very stuttery. Everytime characters load my game stutters.

For example, when i'm in a MPA and someone comes in to the actual MPA I get a stutter. They can be across the map (not even close to my character) and my fps will drop causing my game to stutter. It's so fucking annoying I swear.

Out of EVERY game that I own from my personal collection and my actual digital steam games, PSO2 is the only one that runs like shit. Everything else from old games like RTCW (return to castle wolfenstein yup =p) all the way to newer games like Tomb Raider and a heavily modded skyrim (over 110 mods mostly graphical enhancements) run perfectly smooth! It's crazy how my heavily modded skyrim (a game known to be badly optimized too lol) runs way better than pso2 and looks like 1000 times better than it. Gotta love those 2K texture mods and 3rd mesh mods! <3

So I always ask myself, if I can run all these other games that look WAY BETTER than pso2, why does pso2 run so bad?

It's just a lil anime game with shit textures, low polygon characters, shitty shadows, doesn't even have a booty slider! (haha xD) shitty motion blur the list goes on.

So to end this I ask, why the crappy performance sega? :(

Nitro Vordex
Sep 16, 2015, 10:55 PM
Because SEGA, that's why.

Taurus83
Sep 16, 2015, 11:57 PM
Good stuff I see exactly what you mean now. It's very noticeable if you aren't blind.

The first part looks like it chokes a bit but the second part looks very smooth. You can see it on the background spinning thingies.

I play on a pretty nice PC. Corei7 4790K oced 4.6ghz/16 gigs of HyperX savage ram clocked at 2400mhz/two crucial mx200 SSD's with a WD Black 1tb HDD this is all connected to a Asus Maximus VII motherboard.

The weakest part of my PC is the GTX 670 that I do my gaming on.

With this setup my game always stutters when people switch weapons, and the lobby is always very stuttery. Everytime characters load my game stutters.

For example, when i'm in a MPA and someone comes in to the actual MPA I get a stutter. They can be across the map (not even close to my character) and my fps will drop causing my game to stutter. It's so fucking annoying I swear.

Out of EVERY game that I own from my personal collection and my actual digital steam games, PSO2 is the only one that runs like shit. Everything else from old games like RTCW (return to castle wolfenstein yup =p) all the way to newer games like Tomb Raider and a heavily modded skyrim (over 110 mods mostly graphical enhancements) run perfectly smooth! It's crazy how my heavily modded skyrim (a game known to be badly optimized too lol) runs way better than pso2 and looks like 1000 times better than it. Gotta love those 2K texture mods and 3rd mesh mods! <3

So I always ask myself, if I can run all these other games that look WAY BETTER than pso2, why does pso2 run so bad?

It's just a lil anime game with shit textures, low polygon characters, shitty shadows, doesn't even have a booty slider! (haha xD) shitty motion blur the list goes on.

So to end this I ask, why the crappy performance sega? :(

how come I using GTX460 max setting doesn't have your problem?

Squal_FFVIII
Sep 17, 2015, 12:03 AM
how come I using GTX460 max setting doesn't have your problem?

Because everyone's setup is completely different.

I love how some people feel that if they don't have problems then everyone else who does is a filthy liar.

I see this a lot in this forum. "Oh well, it doesn't happen to me so you must be LYING!" The funny thing is that Shadowth, just posted a perfect example of it.

TaigaUC
Sep 17, 2015, 12:28 AM
I love how some people feel that if they don't have problems then everyone else who does is a filthy liar.

I find that nearly all regular people are like this everywhere.
Humans tend to assume that their experience is the only one, and they can't imagine otherwise.

Some of them even get upset at people who can understand things that are different from themselves, and start accusing them of lying, etc.
For example, if I explain that certain people behave badly and why, some people will say, "how can you know that without also being a bad person! You must be just as bad as them!"

Anyway, this is off-topic.

Kinaya
Sep 17, 2015, 01:57 AM
Yay more glowing stuff, exactly what I always wanted...not, can you guys imagine what a 12 man FO X Burst looks like with that glowing? It burns ur eyes out yo

Shadowth117
Sep 17, 2015, 02:05 AM
Yay more glowing stuff, exactly what I always wanted...not, can you guys imagine what a 12 man FO X Burst looks like with that glowing? It burns ur eyes out yo

It'll look exactly like this:
[spoiler-box]https://i.gyazo.com/fa00ac76996b0bf88963c0bf95b1710e.jpg[/spoiler-box]

On a more related note, its good to know that these settings should be available in the PC version as well. It was also apparently said that the effects shown aren't entirely final yet either. I heard it was at something like 80% atm and that they were working on brightness in some areas etc. Esthe shaders are also supposed to be applied to characters outside of the Esthe with these changes which is cool.

...game still seems like it should have released with those graphics. Its actually a little laughable to me that they show this alongside something like Yakuza and praise its graphics that way.

Also, Sega needs to learn how to Youtube stream. They did a pretty abysmal job of that.

Kinaya
Sep 17, 2015, 02:22 AM
On a more related note, its good to know that these settings should be available in the PC version as well.

Oh? I thought its a "new engine" so we get stuck with the old stuff

Ezodagrom
Sep 17, 2015, 11:25 AM

PSO2 Bad Client vs Good Client - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaNsKvaODlI)

I logged in with each of my chars (6 chars) to get DCOs, I completely exited the game each time to check if it would happen to me, I didn't have that issue in the video anytime I logged in.
I guess that issue doesn't happen to everyone?