PDA

View Full Version : I get the day off...

MidCap
Oct 6, 2015, 02:35 PM
...and Sega decides they need 15 hours for maintenance.

Are there any other MMOs that have such long maintenance periods? I understand that the average maintenance period is only 6 hours, but even that seems way longer than most games.

What the hell is so complex about this game that requires so much maintenance? Are they just lazy and incompetent?

Poyonche
Oct 6, 2015, 02:37 PM
Unplugging and plugging back a cable is harder than you think.

Maenara
Oct 6, 2015, 02:39 PM
...and Sega decides they need 15 hours for maintenance.

Are there any other MMOs that have such long maintenance periods? I understand that the average maintenance period is only 6 hours, but even that seems way longer than most games.

What the hell is so complex about this game that requires so much maintenance? Are they just lazy and incompetent?

Plenty of MMOs have maintenance periods that long. This maintenance is for hardware. Trust me, you would end up way more pissed if it didn't happen.

NoiseHERO
Oct 6, 2015, 03:03 PM
Take up sculpting.

Maninbluejumpsuit
Oct 6, 2015, 03:18 PM
Are they just lazy and incompetent?

Though this may be true of SEGA, there are legit reasons for downtime like this.

Vatallus
Oct 6, 2015, 03:18 PM
Because this is a real maintenance and not any of that silly hotfix on games that never shut down until their server explodes. :D

Mattykins
Oct 6, 2015, 03:31 PM
I'd be happier if the servers actually acted like they had maintenance after these. Or, you know, throw out the laggy machines and upgrade >:T

ArcaneTechs
Oct 6, 2015, 04:46 PM
i had a hunch someone would make a "I had the day off today" thread today.

These maintenance times don't happen often anyways and they're all focused and based on finishing on time when people are heading home from work/school/etc so really, we can't complain about it, its not a time catered for us.

Plus its good to get away from the game once and awhile even though theres really nothing to do in the game right now anyways

TaigaUC
Oct 6, 2015, 06:23 PM
I thought the grind/affix boosts would last until maintenance, like they usually do.
Didn't notice they cut 'em off at midnight, and ended up wasting a ton of meseta grinding a 12 star that failed constantly.

Annoying. Hopefully I'll be able to get rid of it for a good price.

TehCubey
Oct 6, 2015, 07:31 PM
I have yet to encounter a MMO worth its salt with as much downtime as PSO2. But even more important are the hours of the downtime.

WoW has a weekly maintenance too, but it's run in the night when nobody's around anyway. Sega on the other hand is lazy and does its maintenance during the work day - 10 AM to 5 PM Japanese time. Do they really think everyone is in work/school during these hours? You'd expect the NEETs at least to rebel against this kind of treatment. And what about people who work non-standard hours?

Just another absurdity of Japanese society, as seen through the lens of a free to play MMO.

EDIT: By the way, I am not complaining personally, because I live in a European time zone so downtime is always at night for me - very convenient. But it makes you think, what kind of responsible company does maintenance during time that is good only for people OUTSIDE its target country?

saraishadow
Oct 6, 2015, 07:39 PM
Umm, normal people are at work or in school from 10am to 5pm, so it does make sense. They scheduled it around normal people, not the no-lifers. Also the game is based in Japan, I highly doubt they would take foreign time zones into account.

Rupikachu
Oct 6, 2015, 07:49 PM
So basically this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pShcH_pGVWc

Vatallus
Oct 6, 2015, 08:02 PM
Most games I've played have their maintenance during school/work times from their respective country. WoW can't really be compared because they are trying for a wider audience than just their respective country locations, and even if they do it at night it is still down for some part of the world that wants to play during that time.

But na, these treads are pretty common and someone is always complaining. Common as in it happens at every single game. Warframe maintenance times are usually during the working hours of their time zone unless the server explodes... which is actually rather often after patches. Another game I played for a bit call Trove did their maintenance from 7am to around noon related to their timezone... so as you can expect the forums and steam forums were full of complaints from people in Europe and the other side of the world. Spiral Knights when I use to play that had 5 minute reboots every morning at 5am and once a week 1-2 hour maintenance during noon if I recall? Ace Online... 1 hour a week during noon... (senseless typing at this point)

Yeah idk. From my experiences most of them do their stuff during their working hours and not special overnight stays just to please one group of players.

TehCubey
Oct 6, 2015, 08:05 PM
They scheduled it around normal people, not the no-lifers.

That's a bad business decision on Sega's part because the no lifers tend to be the biggest spenders. Also what of Vita players who bring their portable console to play during offtime, or those who finish work/school earlier?

This is all just remnants of traditionalist thinking - work time is for work, school time is for classes/club activities, no breaks, no fun allowed. And if your personal daily scedule conflicts with the social average, then deal with it.

Also the game is based in Japan, I highly doubt they would take foreign time zones into account.

Well yes. As my previous post said, the maintenance times are actually good for me, but bad for Japanese people.

Maenara
Oct 6, 2015, 08:10 PM
That's a bad business decision on Sega's part because the no lifers tend to be the biggest spenders. Also what of Vita players who bring their portable console to play during offtime, or those who finish work/school earlier?

This is all just remnants of traditionalist thinking - work time is for work, school time is for classes/club activities, no breaks, no fun allowed. And if your personal daily scedule conflicts with the social average, then deal with it.

Well yes. As my previous post said, the maintenance times are actually good for me, but bad for Japanese people.

Maybe they want the maintenance times to be those that people are actually working so that they don't have to pay people to work on maintenance past midnight just to keep the vocal complainers at bay.

KLMS1
Oct 6, 2015, 08:23 PM
What company in its right mind would regularly oblige itself to pay its tech guys overtime wages "just because"? Makes sense to do the maint during regular work hours.

Also vaguely suspecting the people who wouldn't be playing during those hours anyway because work and such are the ones more likely to have surplus disposable income...

Maninbluejumpsuit
Oct 6, 2015, 08:44 PM

It's the lesser of two evils.

Downtime HAS to happen. They chose to do it when most normal people in japan are busy with work or school. Our convenience to us in the states is not a factor.

Stop arguing this. Stop grasping at straws. It's making you look silly as if you can't go without PSO2 for a day.

It was 2 AM to 5 PM JST. Most normal people are sleeping, then waking up, then going to school/work, then get home, then maybe have to wait an hour or two at most for PSO2 to be available. At this moment it's minutes to 11 AM in japan; people are at work/school. You're on the internet, and im sure you consult bumped; you have no reason to not know what time it is in japan, and less reason to think it's bad for japanese players.

infiniteeverlasting
Oct 6, 2015, 09:13 PM
sure feels good to have 1 hour of off time a week :D.

WEED420BLAZEIT
Oct 6, 2015, 09:43 PM
That's a bad business decision on Sega's part because the no lifers tend to be the biggest spenders.

those guys can afford AC? pretty sure most of them are freemium

wefwq
Oct 6, 2015, 09:43 PM
Removing dust from server equipment ain't easy matter, also those coffee cup don't drink themself.

TaigaUC
Oct 7, 2015, 01:11 AM
I personally don't think PSO2's downtime is that bad. Half a day in the middle of the week.
Pretty sure most online games are about the same.
I expect that one of the things they do during maintenance is backup the server data. Dunno how long that actually takes.

Occasionally, they announce extended maintenance.
They used to often extend the maintenance without warning, but they haven't screwed up like that for a long while.
Took them about... two years? to get the hang of that.
Shame. I could use some compensation triboosts now.

Maenara
Oct 7, 2015, 01:13 AM
I've actually been maintaining a pretty healthy supply of Triboost 100s, lately. Easier acquisition, combined with better discretion on when I should be using them has led me to keeping a constant supply of at least ten on my person for around a month now.

TaigaUC
Oct 7, 2015, 04:07 AM
I've been using them to try and speed up leveling, because I hate it.