PDA

View Full Version : When do the gear checks start?

ecaflip
Oct 8, 2015, 09:12 AM
Hey guys, I've just started getting back into the game and I'm relatively low level. I know eventually I'll stop being able to one shot everything with lucky RNG item drops but I was hoping I could get a rough estimate as to when I'll start hitting a gear wall. I've been doing quite a bit of reading up on the crafting system, I hope I'll have enough funds to craft passable gear for myself once running with plug and play loot stops working.

Maninbluejumpsuit
Oct 8, 2015, 09:39 AM
Hard to say. The 'passable' bar is set very low relative to the amount of power players are capable of, but you already know this it seems.

I want to say... XH is where some extra strong players can make the difference in squeezing another run within the EQ timer? If you have next to nothing, you may have trouble soloing everything at SH.

Anyway, there isn't much you need to do, or get for passable gear. Get a red weapon, craft it, and 10.5k CM for 3 photon boosters, and grind it, and your next meaningful upgrade would be 13*s.

TheszNuts
Oct 8, 2015, 10:11 AM
SH is where people start gear checking.

LunaSolstice
Oct 8, 2015, 10:36 AM
Never because all a MPA cares about is if they have weak bullet or no WB lol

Except for TD because thats where Zondeel and gear matters alot more.

Poyonche
Oct 8, 2015, 11:24 AM
And for the incoming Double I guess.

But Luna is right, I only gear check during TD3 from SH to XH. Thats all, I don't know for the other players tho.

TheszNuts
Oct 8, 2015, 11:31 AM
I see people gear checking in XH Magatsu all the time.

Azure Falcon
Oct 8, 2015, 12:22 PM
General rule of thumb is that SH players are probably going to be levelling up alts or sub classes so they'll have pretty crummy gear anyway. Outside of TD3 the only thing people will care about on SH is having a decent Weak Bullet user. As for XH, probably just TD3 and Magatsu? They are the only EQs where having a couple of weak players can stop you from getting the max number of runs, 12 player MPAs melt everything else regardless and Loser just requires someone packing WB and mirage.

That said the expectations really aren't high, as long as you aren't packing leech gear like +7 Hiei units and a +5 Vraolet in XH, nobody is going to make a fuss.

Shadowth117
Oct 8, 2015, 01:43 PM
Well, its not as if lack of gear technically ever walls you from anything in this that doesn't involve communicating with other players. So there's no honest gear check ever so to speak. Around the SH level, you'll really start to run into issues with just "one-shotting" everything and by XH you should really be using decent weapons lest you be contributing nil.

The Walrus
Oct 8, 2015, 02:36 PM
immediately

if you don't have a 13* before you leave the tutorial just delete account

Totori
Oct 8, 2015, 03:44 PM
There are so many options for gear in this game, it's not really something big, besides between try hards and elitist. It's more important that you just know how to play, then worry about staying super equipped.

Droid803
Oct 8, 2015, 04:01 PM
Red weapons are pretty much the easiest way to pass gear checks.
Just unlock level 1 potential (10500 challenge miles, which is about 1 hour and 20 minutes of cmode), and extend it to level 9 (ex.13 is best but the last few levels is like 50 atk or something and gets a bit pricey) or so, slap some easy 3s soul/atk3/spi3 affix, and nobody will care.

Super cheap to grind, not too expensive to extend, super easy to acquire, and powerful enough to outperform everything short of select 12*s and 13*s. Most importantly, it gives the impression that you know what you are doing (despite being maximum poverty and not having rares).

TaigaUC
Oct 8, 2015, 04:26 PM
I guess I start checking gear at SH.
You can obtain and wear really strong stuff at SH, so there's not much excuse for people to be running around with rubbish gear at that level.
My latest 55/70 GuRa was using Ideal unit set + Gal Gryphon TMGs, with a ~130 RATK mag.
Before that, I used Zieg/Saiki and Brocker Bledd, fairly easily obtainable from Magatsu and strong enough with just +10. Or if you want, you can just extend a Fire Arms.
Sub stats are locked to main class level, so all you should need is around 55/55 to equip stuff, depending on gender/race.

JP friend was saying that good gear, etcetra are in no way necessary until SH, so that's probably why most people don't realize that they are sucking or have shit gear.
PSO2 doesn't do a good job of letting players know what they ought to be doing, or how they're lacking.
In many cases, there's no ramping up to lead players on. In fact, some cases are misleading. Stuff just changes suddenly.
Usually, people have no idea that they're doing something wrong until someone tells them, or they do extensive research.

Oh, and JP friend did say something like, the new Red weapon latent pretty much renders nearly everything other than 13 stars obsolete.

red1228
Oct 8, 2015, 05:24 PM
I personally start gear-checking at the SH level. I'm not necessarily looking for the person to have fully pimped out 10* ~ 13* gear. I don't mind people still using 9* weapons at that level, as long as its +10 & has 50% element.
If they've also got ATLEAST a 2slot +60 attack on all their stuff (or a lucky Mark Angar / Couragena on their weapons), then I feel that they know what they're doing & I won't be seeing them standing around (or worse, eating dirt on the floor).

Like Arredoval, I value effort over someone who got a lucky 13* Anga/Gal drop from being carried during Ultimate or an EQ.
Luck is not a skill, so someone bragging about all their 13* drops doesn't mean jack shit when I'm still burning three Moon Atomizers per quest on them.

Selphea
Oct 8, 2015, 06:25 PM
"Gear check" in standard MMO terminology refers to content that is designed around a certain gear level that a player may need to go out of their way to farm rather than use gear gotten simply from drops/MB. I think that's what the OP is getting at.

Technically PSO2 doesn't really have that, with a caveat: by Super Hard difficulty, things tend to murder players with ungrinded, unaffixed, no-attribute etc gear who dumped all their SPs into ATK Up instead of multiplicatives..

You can actually go all the way into Extra Hard and Ultimate Quests with simple 7★s like a Red weapon and Hiei set - provided you grind, affix, attribute grind, extend etc.

For the gear, my gearing guide (http://www.fulldive.nu/2015/08/04/pso2-gearing-guide-when-and-what-to-gear/) should cover the basics.

For the builds... try searching for a recent guide for your main class. Anything post-Sep 2014 should be fairly safe.

SlN
Oct 8, 2015, 07:16 PM
Rear nega photon bruh

Maninbluejumpsuit
Oct 8, 2015, 07:51 PM
Rear nega photon bruh

Why are you still on these forums anyway?

SlN
Oct 8, 2015, 08:10 PM
https://i.warosu.org/data/lit/img/0054/93/1411882765467.png

Vatallus
Oct 8, 2015, 08:40 PM
PSO2 doesn't have much for gear checking. I guess Magatsu is the closest things at the moment? Most missions give you plenty of time to actually kill the boss.

What I mean is.. we don't have gear/tactic checks like say FF14 does.

https://youtu.be/FDz-5BErA0I?t=7m3s

This is just one boss as an example. Short version is if you can't kill Odin before Shin Zantetsuken is cast you're going to have a party wipe and boss fail. PSO2 doesn't really do anything to this extreme and like I mentioned Magatsu is probably the biggest "gear" check boss we even have.

Droid803
Oct 8, 2015, 08:46 PM
Didn't Zigmor have something like that the day she first came out? (kill her/break her abdomen part or wipe), It didn't really take much to destroy the breakable to prevent it though, and lasted all of a single day before it got patched out, but it was there!

Vatallus
Oct 8, 2015, 08:51 PM
Didn't Zigmor have something like that the day she first came out? (kill her/break her abdomen part or wipe), It didn't really take much to destroy the breakable to prevent it though, and lasted all of a single day before it got patched out, but it was there!

Yeah, she had a move that sucked in you and if she slashed you you got cursed. You had a period of time to break a blue orb on her back (from my understanding) before she OHKOed you. I never actually got hit by it because I was playing ranged classes that day.

WEED420BLAZEIT
Oct 8, 2015, 09:11 PM
PSO2 doesn't have much for gear checking. I guess Magatsu is the closest things at the moment? Most missions give you plenty of time to actually kill the boss.

What I mean is.. we don't have gear/tactic checks like say FF14 does.

https://youtu.be/FDz-5BErA0I?t=7m3s

This is just one boss as an example. Short version is if you can't kill Odin before Shin Zantetsuken is cast you're going to have a party wipe and boss fail. PSO2 doesn't really do anything to this extreme and like I mentioned Magatsu is probably the biggest "gear" check boss we even have.

dayum that odin was like oh i'm at 1/4 hp lemme sit here and charge zantetsuken to rekt you all in one go, you guys can try to do your best to kill me, i won't do anything, just bring it.

ff14 free 2 play when?

Selphea
Oct 8, 2015, 09:17 PM
There's no hard enrage timer but many bosses have a soft enrage where they become much more aggressive at low HP after a raaaaaawwwr animation that screams "burst me!".

If you don't have enough damage the fight might end up harder than it needs to be.

Maninbluejumpsuit
Oct 8, 2015, 09:24 PM
https://i.warosu.org/data/lit/img/0054/93/1411882765467.png

Deleted one post.

Made another.

Totally edited it.

Puts message in my profile saying, I get gunslashes because of my foul mouth, then deletes it.

All within an hour because I asked you 'why are you still on these forums'.

You are obsessive. Get some help.

SlN
Oct 8, 2015, 09:28 PM
Deleted one post.

Made another.

Totally edited it.

Puts message in my profile saying, I get gunslashes because of my foul mouth, then deletes it.

All within an hour because I asked you 'why are you still on these forums'.

You are obsessive. Get some help.

Maybe because I dont want any drama?

Anyways... ON TOPIC.

Gear checks shouldnt really matter untill level 70 when you are either doing team mpas or when you start running magatsu, td3 or the upcoming td4. These EQs rely on a team effort. The same can be partially said for TACOs and XQs and AQs.

Maninbluejumpsuit
Oct 8, 2015, 09:29 PM
Hmm and you are any better?

Actually, yes.

and you're a bit slow on editing out a question you really shouldn't have asked.

Selphea
Oct 8, 2015, 09:40 PM
TD3 is an AIS proficiency check, not a gear check.

TaigaUC
Oct 8, 2015, 10:34 PM
Oh. You mean gear check as in, you won't be able to complete in time?
PSO2 doesn't have enrage timers, but there are time limits for some quests.

The gear check I referred to was in terms of not wasting other people's time.
I personally don't like to leech.

Lego
Oct 8, 2015, 10:55 PM
Dont listen to these guys, they play 15 hours a day and are tryhards. they know everything about a game, but have no life...

Rakurai
Oct 8, 2015, 10:56 PM
Wonder if Double and Profound Darkness will have any mechanics that are a DPS check.

Flaoc
Oct 8, 2015, 10:59 PM
Dont listen to these guys, they play 15 hours a day and are tryhards. they know everything about a game, but have no life...

having a life is subjective

Selphea
Oct 8, 2015, 11:02 PM

Try "work at a full time job and somehow manage to have a life AND pso2 (but trying out Skyforge atm) AND blog AND have a nice vacation in Japan a couple weeks ago AND still squeeze in time for sleep."

There just aren't enough hours in a day I tell you.

Vatallus
Oct 8, 2015, 11:49 PM
Oh. You mean gear check as in, you won't be able to complete in time?
PSO2 doesn't have enrage timers, but there are time limits for some quests.

The gear check I referred to was in terms of not wasting other people's time.
I personally don't like to leech.

Most of the time I won't even start leveling a new class unless I have a late game weapon for it already. So I'm usually doing my thing with solo AQs until SH and usually by then I can equip said weapon and not leech at SH/XH EQs. I understand what you mean about not wasting other people's time.

LunaSolstice
Oct 9, 2015, 06:12 AM

Lol the only time its even remotely worth using 15 hours in a day to play this game is for CM1 boost weeks to grind for AND max out an ideal weapon to +40 60%.

No other reason to no life the game ever lol

wefwq
Oct 9, 2015, 07:13 AM
There's no real marking and telling when you should get a good gear, but i advise you do so the time you get in SH, mid-SH to be exact since it honestly the point that i felt decent gear are pretty much required to contribute to your MPAs, and also if you picked the right stuff you can still use it on XH so it'll save you some money for later use, too.

It's just feels like that you just got told in-game for being leech and madposting at PSO-W...

Flaoc
Oct 9, 2015, 07:17 AM
It's just feels like that you just got told in-game for being leech and madposting at PSO-W...

rekt him

[SPOILER-BOX]http://mgoblog.com/sites/mgoblog.com/files/MichiganState_B630/Haha2.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

DrCatco
Oct 9, 2015, 11:28 AM
Wonder if Double and Profound Darkness will have any mechanics that are a DPS check.

I read somewhere that at least DF Double will have partial inmunity against WB. It is also expected that PD have it.

HeartBreak301
Oct 9, 2015, 01:32 PM
It'll be interesting to see. Weak bullet definitely needs to have way less impact on the game than it currently has.

TaigaUC
Oct 9, 2015, 01:53 PM
There's nothing to do in PSO2 that lasts anywhere near 15 hours, except idling.
I probably spend more time babbling over here than actually playing PSO2.

Hysteria1987
Oct 9, 2015, 09:46 PM
I've played maybe 2 hours this week, and that's more than last week, because I'm finding the game boooooring at the moment.

That said, what I'm seeing is that for most quests the standard of equipment has dropped a bit lately, as everyone's trying to level their other classes but aren't buying new mags/affixing new armours for them. Can't say I blame them personally. Stuff goes slower now but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Achelousaurus
Oct 11, 2015, 05:54 AM
TC, at the moment red weapons are really good, better than 11* and maybe even 12* in some categories.
All you gotta do is unlock potential 1 (10500 cm, doesn't take many runs or buy one at pot 1 but they tend to be needlessly expensive) and craft it to a decent level.
Lvl 13 craft is preferable but as long as you get atk like a high end 10* of its category it should be ok.
Grind risk reductions and +5%/10% boosters are also cheap and/or you get them for logging in, so that's not too hard to get either.
And with soul receptor getting decent 2-3s affixes is also easy.
For units pretty much anything is fine thanks to crafting again. Preferably a decent set like Hiei crafted with the specail recipes giving you +100hp / +10pp / + 30hp + 3pp + 4% resist all per unit (depending on s / r / t crafting).
You can get this for lvl 3, 8 and 10 with the only difference being the amount of def.
You can find crafters from the visiphone so you don#t even need to be able to craft this yourself.

TD3 is an AIS proficiency check, not a gear check.
Not really. AIS are important but the rest can't be neglceted cause you need to kill enough enemies and bosses to keep the towers safe in the mean time ontop of some crystal farming (those people can't kill as much) in order to be able to use AIS enough to finish with a decent rank. Cause at D rank you might actually get 0 rares from the crystal.
That's why I stopped doing TD3 cause atm it's incredibly hard to find a decent mpa that won't let 2 towers get destroyed by wave 4 or something.

I read somewhere that at least DF Double will have partial inmunity against WB. It is also expected that PD have it.
I hope it means we can finally have a big boss eq where a ra isn't mandatory for any reasonable time. Especially cause most people leave eqs like this anyway if there is no ra, so eve if you want to stay you are gonna end up something like 3/12 pretty quick.

There's nothing to do in PSO2 that lasts anywhere near 15 hours, except idling.
I probably spend more time babbling over here than actually playing PSO2.
That idling is just for hardcore tryhards though. I have yet to master it.