PDA

View Full Version : Theory: We've already seen the new planet for Episode 4

Maenara
Oct 11, 2015, 11:37 PM
--- At the beginning of Episode 3.

http://i.imgur.com/1DSl7np.png[/spoiler-box]

This is a planet that Xiao shows us being obliterated by [Double]. A closer look:

[spoiler-box]http://i.imgur.com/zpxSuFX.png[/spoiler-box]

A few things to note, right off the bat:

-This isn't some random-ass ass-planet. This planet has a very intricate design and is clearly not something designed to be thrown away after a single cutscene,
-The planet appears to be extremely technologically advanced.
-Sega felt the need to put resources into animating the destruction of this planet that they didn't even name.

Xiao's words on the matter:
[spoiler-box]http://i.imgur.com/I3hZ28e.png[/spoiler-box]

[s]From this, we can gather that, A) Xiao absorbed the planet once for some reason, and B) Even so, he felt it was necessary to create a COPY of it in order to preserve it, which strengthens the case that it's not just some throwaway planet.

A new enemy race has been datamined for a few months now. Internally, they are named 'phantom'. They are a mix of what appears to be humanoid enemies and mechanical enemies, some of which appear to be vehicles. This makes it sound as if the enemy race is a sentient race, with high technological capabilities. This perfectly fits the planet's design. In addition, the name 'Phantom' can be made to fit a planet where nothing is the real deal, where the entire planet is a copy.

If Xiao felt the world was worth saving once, he will probably feel that it is worth saving twice. Now that the threat of the Profound Darkness to the ARKS is eliminated, lower-priority tasks like that are perfectly acceptable. There are two ways we could be saving the planet. Either Xiao creates another copy, or we are sent back in time to save the planet from Double, which sets us up for more battles against toy Darkers and even Double.

---

The planet design makes me think that its areas will consist of Total Recall (http://www.filmofilia.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Total-Recall_1.jpg)-style futuristic cityscapes, which sets it apart from Shiriona's feudal-style and Urban's surprisingly (relatively) modern-styled cityscape.

tl;dr: Episode 4: Total Recall.

Edit: Translation error. Double absorbed the planet and created a copy just so they could destroy it. In this context, we would be sent into Double's Inner Universe in order to rescue the planet.

LonelyGaruga
Oct 11, 2015, 11:40 PM
Uh, that was a translation error. Double absorbed the planet and made a copy of it, which they then destroyed for giggles.

Maenara
Oct 11, 2015, 11:43 PM
Uh, that was a translation error. Double absorbed the planet and made a copy of it, which they then destroyed for giggles.

Ah, makes more sense that way. Edited main post, but most points still stand.

LonelyGaruga
Oct 11, 2015, 11:52 PM
Right. Like how we have no idea whether they're actual phantoms or not. Or whether phantom in this context is the same as what summons are frequently referred to as. Or whether the planet is what's phantom-like, like how Harkotan enemies are referred to with Mono (as in monochrome), and in what way it's phantom-like, if it is.

There's simply not anywhere near enough evidence to make educated guesses here. It's not even really a theory so much as wild speculation, there's too little backing it.

yoshiblue
Oct 12, 2015, 12:00 AM
If that's the case, may explain the pet ai that was found. May be the reason for a potential new class.

Selphea
Oct 12, 2015, 12:02 AM
Inb4 that was actually Parum copypasta'd from PSU assets and recolored.

Maenara
Oct 12, 2015, 12:02 AM
Right. Like how we have no idea whether they're actual phantoms or not. Or whether phantom in this context is the same as what summons are frequently referred to as.

There's simply not anywhere near enough evidence to make educated guesses here. It's not even really a theory so much as wild speculation, there's too little backing it.

I forgot that there's a precedent for summoning helicopters, men, and dinosaur mechs which totally undermines the idea that they're actually helicopters, men, and dinosaur mechs.

I only made one sentence trying to explain the meaning of the word phantom, and then multiple trying to explain the actual TYPES of enemies that have been found. Out of everything in my post, that's what you chose to attack? Yeah, that particular connection is a loose one at best, it doesn't invalidate the rest.

LonelyGaruga
Oct 12, 2015, 12:05 AM
You mean exactly what you just did? Oh, sorry, not exactly. Two sentences. I guess that makes it OK then.

Maenara
Oct 12, 2015, 12:09 AM
You mean exactly what you just did? Oh, sorry, not exactly. Two sentences. I guess that makes it OK then.

Yeah. Post length is the only measure of validity now.

You act like this would be the first time that Sega has hinted at something long before they implemented it. Persona was hinted at being the player for years before it was actually shown to be true, and there was way less evidence for that than there is for this.

Freshellent
Oct 12, 2015, 12:13 AM
Inb4 that was actually Parum copypasta'd from PSU assets and recolored.

In some ways, I'd like to see the actual city parts populated or whatever but in most other ways... I mean we already have tunnels.

I would like a Train Rescue type map, I miss that.

LonelyGaruga
Oct 12, 2015, 12:22 AM
You act like this would be the first time that Sega has hinted at something long before they implemented it.

Yes, showing skepticism about a planet that is permanently destroyed bar time travel shenanigans that would go back who knows how far back being the next new planet to explore is completely the same as acting like Sega has never hinted at something before it was done. Please mind your words before saying something so stupid.

Everything you said hinges on Xiao thinking the planet is worth time travel to save. Nowhere does he ever give this impression.

yoshiblue
Oct 12, 2015, 12:58 AM
Eventually™

Shear
Oct 12, 2015, 01:34 AM
Actually there is another possibility, Double makes another Copy.
He crushed the last one for shit and Giggles but in the next Chapter there might be things happening to prevent that for now.

It certainly would explain the Phantom Enemy Type.

Maenara
Oct 12, 2015, 01:39 AM
Tangential wall of text for LonelyGaruga.
[spoiler-box]
Please mind your words before saying something so stupid.

I love how you think being a skeptic puts you on such intellectually higher ground than me. It's cute and it's the mindset of a 16 year old, which, last I checked, you actually were 16 years old. So excuse me if I have a hard time taking sentences like this seriously. I, too, was 16 once. I thought I was so clever, that, hell, I could completely fix the entire mess that is US politics if I had total power for just one day. And I know you're going to want to whine about this paragraph in particular and ignore everything else I said in an appeal to spite, but please don't even bother posting, if that's your game.

You chose the one sentence of the entire evidence portion of my post that used definitively uncertain language to the effect of "It could mean this!" and you literally 'refuted' it by saying "Well, it could also NOT mean that, therefore invalid". Guess what? That's completely fallacious.

I willingly changed my post to fix a legitimate error that you pointed out. And now I get this argument from you, because I said that it doesn't invalidate the rest of my post:

Everything you said hinges on Xiao thinking the planet is worth time travel to save.

Arguing otherwise assumes that Xiao is perfectly A-OK with Dark Falz Double literally murdering an entire planet with a race of beings sentient enough to build a giant space ring around their planet. Xion definitely would not be okay with this. Xiao probably wouldn't be either.

And also? No, it doesn't. Congratulations on ignoring the first half of the evidence portion of my post. Do you have any concept of how much work goes into designing, rendering, and animating things of that quality? There is a reason that the cinematic cutscenes in PSO2 look so good. There is a reason why every cutscene isn't as beautiful as the cinematic cutscenes. There's a reason why, over 3 years into the game's lifespan, it only has a handful of them. And the only time they have -ever- shown irrelevant details is during the opening cinematics which are made precisely to show off.
Campship traveling cutscenes show us what something looks like from space.
Falz transformation cutscenes show us how each Falz ascends.
Magatsu's initial cutscene shows us how he appears, and that there are more than one of him.
Dark Falz Elder's defeat cutscene shows us that he does not die even when we defeat him.
The opening cutscene on character creation serves as a basic introduction into the world of PSO2, giving everyone basic information on the lore.

Honestly, it's like you take it as a personal affront to yourself when someone doesn't agree with you. It's really sad that I have to type posts this long, because if I don't refute your arguments from ten angles all at once, my entire post is going to be invalid. One day you need to just sit back, relax, and admit to yourself that being smugly skeptical isn't the only thing an argument needs to be won.

You want something to be skeptical about? Be skeptical about Summoner. There is literally no data that conclusively eliminates the the possibility that we're just getting pets instead of an entire class focused on summoning them. Be skeptical about anything else until you can actually bring up a point that isn't 'Might not so probably not' at its core. Until you do, until you can, I'm not going to bother responding to your posts. Because it's not an argument. It's just pure skepticism. And it doesn't contribute at all to the topic at hand.

(And no, before you post something to the effect of "Well if you won't refute my arguments, that must mean you can't.", I'm refusing to continue responding because from this point on, your posts are going to contain different words, but probably all say the exact same thing. Prove me wrong.)[/spoiler-box]

Back on topic: The planet looks really interesting. I feel like there are a lot of neat things they could do with a hyper-futuristic cityscape.

Kondibon
Oct 12, 2015, 01:42 AM
Yes, showing skepticism about a planet that is permanently destroyed bar time travel shenanigansBut it's already been established that Double could clone the whole planet. It's also been established that double can make multiple clones of the same thing, so it's not like it could only do it once.

While I agree, speculating about WHY we go there is a bit of a stretch, the "phantom" connection would actually make a lot of sense if the entire planet is cloned. You already brought up the "Mono" thing yourself.

I would mention the conservation of detail thing, but Maenera already did.

LonelyGaruga
Oct 12, 2015, 03:55 AM
Arguing otherwise assumes that Xiao is perfectly A-OK with Dark Falz Double literally murdering an entire planet with a race of beings sentient enough to build a giant space ring around their planet. Xion definitely would not be okay with this. Xiao probably wouldn't be either.

We don't know that there was anything alive on that planet (darkers have a tendency to wipe out life on planets, species could have gone extinct, could be robots, etc).
We don't know that Xion or especially Xiao have the ability to fix it.
We don't know that they would interfere.

Neither Xion nor Xiao have ever demonstrated themselves as being the type of character to revise every significant loss of life caused by darkers. When the player time travels in 2-6, it's with the intent to witness the events that happened. When the player time travels to save Zeno and Ulc, that's all they accomplish. They don't prevent Elder from leaping off of Naberius, and they don't save any of the other casualties caused by the darker attack. And the sole reason Zeno and Ulc are saved is to have a significant impact on the present.

If anything, it would be a massive derailment of their characterization to have them railroad the player into fixing every little bad thing that was caused by darkers. The Kuronians suffered genocide, but not one character seems to want this fixed. Certainly not Xiao. It is not his imperative to fix everything in the universe. And really, how would the player even save the planet? So far all events have either happened simultaneously or had a cause and effect result in the future. If the planet was saved, then Double could not copy it, and then they wouldn't be able to produce a copy to destroy it when the cutscene plays. This isn't like Zeno or Ulc's deaths, which aren't witnessed (thus the player is able to alter them), this is something Xiao and the player both witness. At the very least, the game is consistent with how time travel works. This would not be consistent.

And the only time they have -ever- shown irrelevant details is during the opening cinematics which are made precisely to show off.

And the point of that cinematic was to demonstrate Double's destructiveness. In order to show Double blowing up a planet, a planet is necessary. Why that planet is so unusually designed is a good question. It could be a scrapped design. It could be a formerly inhabited planet that is no longer useful. It could be the former planet of the photoners, or one they once inhabited. It could just be designed so unusually because rule of cool.

Whatever the case, there is no logical reason to believe it's actually going to show up again. There's no reason for Xiao to suddenly decide "hey let's go save this planet you've never heard of even though we could be saving ARKS members or the Kuronians!". In all likelihood, were the Profound Darkness to be defeated, Xiao would give the player a break so that they can enjoy their life. Not continue to request that they risk their life for a shot at preventing various catastrophes that happened. That's just...no. That's incredibly selfish. Xiao is a nice guy and is considerate to the player's feelings. He wouldn't ask that of them.

Shinamori
Oct 12, 2015, 04:18 AM
Elder would have been destroyed in 2-6 if it wasn't for Persona jumping in at the last second.

landman
Oct 12, 2015, 06:25 AM
If that scene has been mistranslated by that many months... why hasn't anyone reported it in the Story patch thread???? I'm sure Aida would have corrected it... at that time. This completely changes the meaning of that scene, making you believe Xiao is building a planet/mothership to simply seeing Double toying with a (provably) human/arks planet.

Rakurai
Oct 12, 2015, 07:41 AM
Elder would have been destroyed in 2-6 if it wasn't for Persona jumping in at the last second.

I'm kind of curious as to why he even did that in the first place now that it's known that he's out to destroy the Profound Darkness.

Selphea
Oct 12, 2015, 07:43 AM
I'm kind of curious as to why he even did that in the first place now that it's known that he's out to destroy the Profound Darkness.

Maybe he figured Double would nom on his dead body.

Zanverse
Oct 12, 2015, 08:07 AM
That planet pretty much shows up in the background of Double's Inner Universe, which was a cool little touch. Whether or not the planet will reappear, based on the design of the planet, it's always possible that it MIGHT be of importance. I mean, no other planet in the game appears as technologically advanced as this one, which is kind of sketchy if you ask me. There was a reason why Double would just randomly specifically target said planet. If it was just to show their strength, then why haven't they gobbled up more planets??

On a side note, if it does come around, I'm already picture a VR Spaceship-looking area.

landman
Oct 12, 2015, 08:20 AM
It's possible they stopped using photons in some planets to avoid being detected by the darkers. One team room is in a city planet after all.

Zanverse
Oct 12, 2015, 08:30 AM
It's possible they stopped using photons in some planets to avoid being detected by the darkers. One team room is in a city planet after all.

Eh, can't really just assume based off of a Team Room. :wacko:

landman
Oct 12, 2015, 09:08 AM
Yeah, the team room is not proof enough this is actually a planet, but after you first find Matoi, Philia confirms there are other planets where she could have come from, outside of the Arks database.

Lyrise
Oct 12, 2015, 09:24 AM
Maybe he figured Double would nom on his dead body.

More precisely, *you* would have absorbed Elder completely with your powers (you took some of it already). That would have accelerated the PD situation which Persona was clearly not ready for.

TaigaUC
Oct 12, 2015, 11:30 AM
Whatever it is, I hope it's that dinosaur thing I joked about a while back.

LonelyGaruga
Oct 12, 2015, 11:56 AM
Yeah, the team room is not proof enough this is actually a planet, but after you first find Matoi, Philia confirms there are other planets where she could have come from, outside of the Arks database.

Matoi was created by Xion and was an ARKS member. All of her records were wiped out, so Philia wouldn't know anything about her.

Poyonche
Oct 12, 2015, 12:41 PM
Whatever it is, I hope it's that dinosaur thing I joked about a while back.

Were you the one talking about Blastoise Dinosaur ?

isCasted
Oct 12, 2015, 12:43 PM
Matoi was created by Xion and was an ARKS member. All of her records were wiped out, so Philia wouldn't know anything about her.

What you said has nothing to do with what landman said. He was talking about entirely different thing.

The fact that Phillia didn't find any information about Matoi in ARKS database doesn't make her entire wording a worthless babble. Possibility of existance of other planets has nothing to do with Matoi.

LonelyGaruga
Oct 12, 2015, 12:50 PM
Oh.

Well in that case, Wopal and Harkotan are both planets that ARKS didn't initially know about, so that's a pretty clear case of confirmation. Every new planet ever is going to be a planet that ARKS didn't know about before.

landman
Oct 12, 2015, 12:56 PM
But why would Philia think a human comes from an unknown planet? the most obvious reason is that there are colonised human worlds, but their population is not registered in the ARKS archives (at least the ones Philia has access too), the reason, maybe, to protect them from darker attacks.

LonelyGaruga
Oct 12, 2015, 02:29 PM
Did some looking around and found that Alys is from a planet undiscovered by ARKS, but dunno whether to count her or not since she's not designed by the main team, she has no role in the story, and her whole existence is pretty cameo-worthy. She also says that she expects ARKS to be unable to find the planet for at least several centuries and that ARKS is traveling in the opposite direction, so...eh. No leads there.

PS Nova also gives confirmation that there are ARKS fleets that set out for the express purpose of colonizing other planets, but that doesn't work out very well. Presumably Philia was referring to something like this.

Or the ARKS logo on Matoi's clothes could have prompted this as idle speculation.

On an unrelated note, did find some information that could result in the planet destroyed by Double returning. Ultimate areas aren't simply twisted, corrupted variations of the area, but time-displaced versions by the Profound Darkness' influence (since Anga Fundarge is an extension of it heralding its resurrection). Doesn't seem too unlikely that the planet as it appeared in another timeline could return. Probably the best shot for it, and it doesn't involve Xiao undergoing character assassination. I don't think the phantoms will be robots (we already have mechs for that), but cyborgs seem like a good shot.

Still think it's more likely for the phantom enemies to be using the word in the same way that PBs use it, though, ergo phantasmal, ephemeral entities. Which would tie in with Summoner's implementation pretty well. Braver was introduced with Wopal (Azanami wears a pirate outfit, all the pirate weapons are Braver equippable), Bouncer was introduced with Harkotan (don't need to explain that one), so Summoner would logically have a thematic tie to the new planet as well.

TaigaUC
Oct 12, 2015, 02:54 PM
First screenshot of the phantom showing off the new Summoner class with pet dog.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlIM1a6_ABCkC8srvTAq-dQ_3t8d2oi3nraEKOeUzErsgwUpKi

Were you the one talking about Blastoise Dinosaur ?

No, I joked about episode 4's Matterboards involving time travel to the Jurassic period, where we'd fight Darker Dinos or something.
Later on, there was an enemy named something Rex in the data.

KLMS1
Oct 12, 2015, 03:02 PM
First screenshot of the phantom showing off the new Summoner class with pet dog.

Also sneak peek of incoming new race inspired by gorillas.

TaigaUC
Oct 12, 2015, 03:12 PM
Also sneak peek of incoming new race inspired by gorillas.

Exclusive leaked concept art and in-game screenshots:

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRqAijrzaB3RAQYMKW0DsRgVXcazn2HB KxvQYlDv3wMOW1q1tVYhttps://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4SGsqB43QeqttZOBhHXZghmNeezHOG _N2ca4M0cMqH4P8zl_-

Now watch Kotaku or Polygon pick this story up. I can imagine the headline now: "Patriarchal Japan regresses Humanity with offensive Monkey race in Online Waifu Simulator for Lolicon Otakus"

Poyonche
Oct 12, 2015, 03:35 PM
Still think it's more likely for the phantom enemies to be using the word in the same way that PBs use it, though, ergo phantasmal, ephemeral entities. Which would tie in with Summoner's implementation pretty well. Braver was introduced with Wopal (Azanami wears a pirate outfit, all the pirate weapons are Braver equippable), Bouncer was introduced with Harkotan (don't need to explain that one), so Summoner would logically have a thematic tie to the new planet as well.

Dude i would be so fkin happy to be able to summon a Helix dog whenever I want. And i'm not joking.

yoshiblue
Oct 12, 2015, 03:47 PM
Nothing more social than showing how my dino is better than your dino, and then host a Dog Show to prove it.

TaigaUC
Oct 12, 2015, 05:49 PM
I sure hope pets are summonable in lobbies.
Pet lobby actions would be nice, too.

Renvalt
Oct 12, 2015, 09:15 PM
I sure hope pets are summonable in lobbies.
Pet lobby actions would be nice, too.

That would actually increase the load in the lobbies, further making lower spec'd peeps crash/have FPS lag. I mean, not everyone that plays PSO2 has a high end gaming rig.

On an unrelated note, did find some information that could result in the planet destroyed by Double returning. Ultimate areas aren't simply twisted, corrupted variations of the area, but time-displaced versions by the Profound Darkness' influence (since Anga Fundarge is an extension of it heralding its resurrection). Doesn't seem too unlikely that the planet as it appeared in another timeline could return. Probably the best shot for it, and it doesn't involve Xiao undergoing character assassination. I don't think the phantoms will be robots (we already have mechs for that), but cyborgs seem like a good shot.

Interesting. Are you implying that Ultimate Areas are simply current zones in the destroyed timeline?

I mean, that opens up the possibility of traveling to other timelines to use the knowledge of what happened in those timelines to maybe fix something in ours. We can't "save" that timeline, per se, but we might have an opportunity to learn something.

.... Or I'm totally off and there's more to this than what I've seen. Given that Garuga can probably read a lot more of the untranslated bits than I can, I'm going to go with what they're saying.

Mattykins
Oct 12, 2015, 09:20 PM
That would actually increase the load in the lobbies, further making lower spec'd peeps crash/have FPS lag. I mean, not everyone that plays PSO2 has a high end gaming rig.

Then play on a lower graphics level...?

Renvalt
Oct 12, 2015, 09:21 PM
Then play on a lower graphics level...?

I wasn't referring to me. Also, would the pets affect the server load in any way? Or maybe that's something that gets upgraded as well come EP4?

LonelyGaruga
Oct 12, 2015, 09:37 PM
Interesting. Are you implying that Ultimate Areas are simply current zones in the destroyed timeline?

Probably not. Ultimate Lilipa is how Tunnels appeared when it was newly completed for sure. Ultimate Naberius does look distorted, but it could have some sort of tie to the Profound Darkness, given that the climatic battle is taking place near it, as opposed to any other planet or even just in the depths of space. There's a number of possibilities that could lead it to being past or future versions of the Forest area. It's really a toss up there. The upcoming story quest may have more information on the nature of Ultimate Naberius (and Ultimate in general).

And I haven't found anything regarding Ultimate, Anga Fundarge, or anything else really besides the fact that they're time-displaced. Anga Fundarge itself is from a different time period (timeline wasn't quite the right word for it, the literal translation is time axis, whatever that means in common English terminology), while the areas themselves could be warped to fit Anga Fundarge's time period or could just be displaced in general. It's hard to say right now because there's so little about it.

Zorak000
Oct 12, 2015, 10:29 PM
Calling it: Ep4 will just be a giant Final Fantasy The Spirits Within collab

Kondibon
Oct 12, 2015, 11:23 PM
Also, would the pets affect the server load in any way?More entities would always affect the server load. I dunno how noticeable it would be though.

Meteor Weapon
Oct 13, 2015, 12:11 AM
Like how chairs effect server loads right?

TaigaUC
Oct 13, 2015, 12:25 AM
The server would have to tell clients what the pets are, and what they're wearing/doing.
If the pets just follow people around automatically, then that could be done clientside.

Like how chairs affect server loads right?

Hah.

I know, but they can always add an option to simply turn pets off, or limit their numbers.
Like the option to default-ize the appearance of characters visible in the lobby.

Maenara
Oct 13, 2015, 02:36 AM
The server would have to tell clients what the pets are, and what they're wearing/doing.
If the pets just follow people around automatically, then that could be done clientside.

It could be that the summon itself is Summoner's weapon, as in, it is literally the item that you 'equip', just like any partizan or katana. Each summon 'weapon' would cause the summon to have a different appearance, though it would have the same bone structure. Sega's shown that they're -really- fond of Fangulf reskins, so it can't be that huge of a stretch.

Renvalt
Oct 13, 2015, 07:34 AM
It could be that the summon itself is Summoner's weapon, as in, it is literally the item that you 'equip', just like any partizan or katana. Each summon 'weapon' would cause the summon to have a different appearance, though it would have the same bone structure. Sega's shown that they're -really- fond of Fangulf reskins, so it can't be that huge of a stretch.

Fangulfs. Fangulfs EVERYWHERE.

Chimeria
Oct 13, 2015, 08:03 AM
Here's to hoping that Rebirth borrows some things from the original PSO and actually gives your character the lead as the main character and drops him/her on this un-named planet to investigate it...

I'd be down to ditch the typical "run of the mill" anime story that Episodes 1-3 had for a more melancholy tone like the first PSO had. The feeling of doom and uncertainty the first game had was so cool to me. Get rid of the annoying matterboards and cutscenes and replace them with the sidequest style missions from the first game that flesh out the story until you finally get to the bottom of things.

I liked that formula and was kind of bummed they changed things in PSU and PSO2. If anything I'm really hoping that Rebirth takes note of FFXIV: ARR and just redoes ALOT of things. (It's practically a different game now) But hey this is Sega so I won't get my hopes up. ^^;

Renvalt
Oct 13, 2015, 08:21 AM
Here's to hoping that Rebirth borrows some things from the original PSO and actually gives your character the lead as the main character and drops him/her on this un-named planet to investigate it...

I'd be down to ditch the typical "run of the mill" anime story that Episodes 1-3 had for a more melancholy tone like the first PSO had. The feeling of doom and uncertainty the first game had was so cool to me. Get rid of the annoying matterboards and cutscenes and replace them with the sidequest style missions from the first game that flesh out the story until you finally get to the bottom of things.

I liked that formula and was kind of bummed they changed things in PSU and PSO2. If anything I'm really hoping that Rebirth takes note of FFXIV: ARR and just redoes ALOT of things. (It's practically a different game now) But hey this is Sega so I won't get my hopes up. ^^;

It won't. You'd have to can everything they've done 'til now. Why would they bother making all of the content they have, only to throw it away when the next episode comes?

If anything, I'd say rework the Matter Boards entirely. Some are too long for the time we're in now (hello MB1-11 and MB1-8 in particular), and a good number of them have the craziest of nonsensical rewards for where they're placed.

I liked how short and to the point EP3's boards were. I actually am all caught up and set for 3-7's arrival on Wednesday because of that. If they shorten EP1 and 2, it could help people do the story properly and make it so they wouldn't NEED to skip EP1&2 to do 3 so they can get to 4.

I mean, most people don't generally do the early ones anyways (only 3-1 for a basic Hiei set, and then that's pretty much it).

Of course, I know what your sentence is really asking for - after all, your words are drenched with nostalgia. If you're willing to trade a lack of popularity (and summarily the game's funding) for what you desire, then I'm certain SEGA would all but appease you.

landman
Oct 13, 2015, 08:32 AM
I don't dislike the PSU formula, and the PSO2 way gives more importance to extra NPC chats, having each conversation a cutscene, you could miss some info in PSU if you didn't chat with all map characters between quests, and those extra chats were lost in online mode. I never felt as the main character in PSO, I was just one of many hunters trying to solve the mystery, I was part of an expedition, part of a party of 4, of many expeditions that succeeded or failed. PSU and PSO2 makes you the main cog for the story to run and succeed, of course asking a japanese developer to give your character actual protagonism like in western RPGs I think it's asking too much.

TaigaUC
Oct 13, 2015, 02:25 PM

When I was reading your post, an image appeared in my mind of an Arks holding a taxidermized dog by the tail and swinging it.

That would be the worst pet class ever.

Maenara
Oct 13, 2015, 03:31 PM
When I was reading your post, an image appeared in my mind of an Arks holding a taxidermized dog by the tail and swinging it.

That would be the worst pet class ever.

I think you mean the best.

Spiral
Oct 13, 2015, 09:05 PM
Regarding original topic, agree with other posters and feel is too speculative.
But do want a high sci-fi new area. Complete with glowy panels, lightly colored glass everywhere, machines using luminous vespene green gas, tron lines, unnecessary hexagons and other hyper-future type goodies. Could have space-port tunnels/VR spaceship stage on that ring around the planet too! -loves this stuff-

On more recent topic, would also imagine pets would be equipped akin to weapons due to fitting the game system. Assuming pet class really is coming out in the future.
Kind of imagined it with "pet" just being exactly to character's side or floating over ala that bow that is a little orb with cute dragon around it when sheathed. Pet would advance and do attacks small distance away when attacking, so slightly ranged.

Also imagine character would stand completely still with hands in pockets and stare down the enemy while pet does attack animations, for style points. Thinking of miniature version of machine-gun punch/claw that dex photon blast does. Hohoho.

Then again, no idea what has been dug up on the class. Also would be quite a ways away in the future anyway. Still fun to talk/guess about though!