PDA

View Full Version : What?

KiroMatic
Oct 24, 2015, 01:47 PM
I want to start out just saying that I haven't played much PSO2 so i'm pretty ignorant of a lot of the terms so forgive me.

"I play this game for fun" seems to be the craze that people feel the need to dislike and I feel like there is a big misunderstanding going on here.

I play this game for fun. I do. That's just how it is. I don't play specifically to get all the best loot or get the fastest times or to get a perfect run. It's just about enjoying the experience and recently it feels like the community has been strongly against this way of playing. In fact so strong that it's made my experience so miserable that I've completely lost the will to play since apparently there is only 1 way i'm allowed to play or else I get kicked.

One big thing that seems to be going around is that people who "play for fun" are people who "purposely make the game more difficult". This is not the case, at least for me and many others. We have no intention of "purposely" making anything more difficult it's just about having our character fight the way we want them to.
You know, like the game was designed.

I get told to "play by myself". Well I can't very well do these missions by myself and you know that. If you didn't then you wouldn't waste everybodys time making threads about how "annoyed" you are about how everyone plays "bad". Since you would just do them by yourself.

I just want to be able to play how I like while still being able to unlock the gear I desire. Why is that to much to ask? I'm honestly confused please tell me.
Why do I have to play the way YOU want. Why do I have to build MY character the same way you build YOUR character. It might as well be a single player game then.

None of my friends play Phantasy Star and nobody seems to be willing to be friends with someone who plays "for fun" since I'm apparently a plague or something.
So sick of this community.

HentaiLolicon
Oct 24, 2015, 01:57 PM
Do you realize this is a MMO? If you are going to play with others, you gotta pull your own weight. If you want to mess and play the way you want (nothing wrong if it's viable, but, crazy and sucky build is another story), just play alone or quit for other games, MMO doesn't suit you

wefwq
Oct 24, 2015, 01:58 PM
Are you those kind who always force the self-imposed "challenge" to MPA?
Like say, from stupidest thing like not using subclass because it'll make the game too easy, or using weird class combination.
If so then there's your problem.

PSO2 are more group-based game, you should not force your ideal way of playing the game to other, you can still do that by either locking your own MPA or gather other player who want to do the same.
Playing "for fun" are OK, but only if you don't hold everyone else back and make them pickup and clean all the slack you make.

I'm usually prefer slow and chill EQ run, but i still get pissed whenever there's people who prefer do stupid stuff in the name of "playing for fun" because it makes everything VERY slow.

Icis
Oct 24, 2015, 01:58 PM
I play for fun, too. But I'm on Ship 7. Is this a Ship 2 issue?

GoldenFalcon
Oct 24, 2015, 02:00 PM
If you can't beat content, how are you having fun?

KLMS1
Oct 24, 2015, 02:00 PM
What else would *anyone* play this game for if not fun? That's a thoroughly redundant statement, and more importantly holds the stigma of being the default excuse of idiots who drag down the rest of the group. Don't be one of those people; EQs only run for a set time and so do booster tickets, so nobody's going to be very fond of a dead weight.
You're free to derp around however the Hell you like on your own time, but don't expect the 11 other people in an MPA whose time you're wasting by not doing your part to look kindly on doing it in group content.

As an aside, at least in the World of Tanks community "I play for fun" was years ago extablished to be the hallmark of useless idiots who not only don't know how to play but also refuse to learn...

GHNeko
Oct 24, 2015, 02:54 PM
I want to start out just saying that I haven't played much PSO2 so i'm pretty ignorant of a lot of the terms so forgive me.

"I play this game for fun" seems to be the craze that people feel the need to dislike and I feel like there is a big misunderstanding going on here.

I play this game for fun. I do. That's just how it is. I don't play specifically to get all the best loot or get the fastest times or to get a perfect run. It's just about enjoying the experience and recently it feels like the community has been strongly against this way of playing. In fact so strong that it's made my experience so miserable that I've completely lost the will to play since apparently there is only 1 way i'm allowed to play or else I get kicked.

One big thing that seems to be going around is that people who "play for fun" are people who "purposely make the game more difficult". This is not the case, at least for me and many others. We have no intention of "purposely" making anything more difficult it's just about having our character fight the way we want them to.

I get told to "play by myself". Well I can't very well do these missions by myself and you know that. If you didn't then you wouldn't waste everybodys time making threads about how "annoyed" you are about how everyone plays "bad". Since you would just do them by yourself.

I just want to be able to play how I like while still being able to unlock the gear I desire. Why is that to much to ask? I'm honestly confused please tell me.
Why do I have to play the way YOU want. Why do I have to build MY character the same way you build YOUR character. It might as well be a single player game then.

None of my friends play Phantasy Star and nobody seems to be willing to be friends with someone who plays "for fun" since I'm apparently a plague or something.
So sick of this community.

While the tone of the posts are unnecessarily harsh, the point they're getting at is more or less something that should be taken into consideration.

No one cares how you play as long as you arent holding the MPA back by an unreasonable amount. Keyword being "unreasonable".

Skill operates on a bell curve, so there is always going to be the "most skilled" player in any given MPA, and the "least skilled" player of any given MPA. That's a fact.

And that's fine, as long as the bottom skilled player isnt a huge detriment to the whole MPA.

So while there is always going to be someone slower than the rest of the group, as long as it's not to slow then no one gives a shit what you play.

But if you're noticeably holding back an MPA, then it's a problem.

That's basically the implied message behind all the criticism and nonsense you read from PSOW posts. It's not "no fun allowed".

isCasted
Oct 24, 2015, 02:57 PM
I play for fun, but I also see my responsibility before other people. I'd simply feel like an ass if I didn't try to do my best at improving my character.

Nobody forbids you to play for fun, but in cooperative game it's important to understand that others want to have fun too.

Also, inb4lock.

Achelousaurus
Oct 24, 2015, 03:05 PM
TC that is the exactly same mentality as telling your coworkers to stop bitching about you being lazy and not doing any work. You are just there to get your paycheck and it's not like THEY are paying you.

But sadly it's a game and we can't tell the boss about your bs and have you fired :(

And tbh I don't think it's unnecessarily harsh cause he doesn't give a fuck about others.
Most people don't care about people that hang in the lobby all the time or have crappy gear unless they actually have to deal with them.
I don't care about what you or others like you do ingame as long as you stick to yourself.
but you don't.
You go into the same blocks as people trying to properly play the game and you leech off us and that's where you aren't just having fun on your own anymore but ruining our fun.

Stop ruining our fun and people won't complain.
But for that of course you have to do stop leeching and do all 12player quests in locked mpas with like minded people cause normally it's assumed (in every single online game ever) that people that play with you will properly and pull their weight or at least are stilling learning how to do that.

And as long as you don't do that you are forcing US to play YOUR way.

GHNeko
Oct 24, 2015, 03:12 PM
Nothing about OP's post implies that he doesnt give a fuck about others.

You're INFERRING that shit and it's a horrible thing to do. (Unless there is proof of him actually not giving a fuck.)

As such, yes ya'll niggas are being unnecessarily harsh. Like Megi you're calling OP's post BS. Has he done anything to you? Or do you just deem him a shitter because of the nature of his post???

Because people around here DO associate "For Fun" with poor play. So the second anyone brings up, "playing for fun"; players associate said poster with a heavily negative stereotype and this very clear tone springs up in a god damn second.

So far we have no indication of how he plays, what he plays, or anything. <_<

Ya'll niggas be ODing this shit for real.

Tunga
Oct 24, 2015, 03:34 PM
http://i.imgur.com/dv180Na.jpg

Edit: When multiple peoples "fun" clashes with each other there's bound to be problems OP.

Xaelouse
Oct 24, 2015, 03:37 PM
It's a JRPG. Playing normally, you'd want bigger numbers sooner or later. You want bigger numbers to come out fast and easy, without any hindrance to you. It doesnt have to be the biggest number possible, but big enough to put the hurt on the content you're doing. Anyone that played an RPG any time in their life should know this.
I play for fun. I make sure to have big numbers to have fun. I dont like seeing Chrome Dragon alive for years, I want him to die quick so I can be on my way. Don't you?

Punisher106
Oct 24, 2015, 03:45 PM
I play for fun, but I also see my responsibility before other people. I'd simply feel like an ass if I didn't try to do my best at improving my character.

Nobody forbids you to play for fun, but in cooperative game it's important to understand that others want to have fun too.

Also, inb4lock.

This. Fucking this.

I play for fun, too, but I make sure all my necessary things are at least +10. I don't try to hit high numbers with my weapons. I try to make the objective as easy to accomplish as I can, without facerolling so damn much. I see myself as a supporter, rather than a direct damage dealer, and with every class combo, I find a way.

isCasted
Oct 24, 2015, 03:47 PM
I'll explain why exatcly "playing right" thing is so important for this community.

The game forces you to play with random players all the time. It is especially the case for 12-man EQs. The core idea of a game (that makes it deliver fun to player) is reward for effort. In this case your effort as a mission participant does not reflect your mission reward, therefore failing is not fun.

If you can't affect situation as a mission participant, your only other option is affecting other potential mission participants through socialization! Even when people do silly stuff like Arks Quests they still enforce efficiency mindset onto each other, because it will enforce efficiency onto others and so on.

The game has clearly defined states of success and failure. Success is achieved by playing by rules. PSO2 is a cooperative RPG, therefore rules are about developing your characters and socialization skills.

-----------------------------------

Now, what is the problem? The problem is people that are all about going to extremes, AKA jerks. There are elitists, and there are also scrubs. Somewhere in the middle there are regular players - it's not black and white.

Both old and new players should be more polite and understanding - that is the clue to win the game. When that doesn't happen, you get jerks. When it does happen - you gain fun.

KLMS1
Oct 24, 2015, 03:54 PM
Nothing about OP's post implies that he doesnt give a fuck about others.

You're INFERRING that shit and it's a horrible thing to do. (Unless there is proof of him actually not giving a fuck.)
True. There's strong implication that the core of his complaint is getting crap from people in-game for his playstyle/gear/build/whatever, however. That his response to it is complaining here about such reactions and "elitist mindset", complete with the cliché of "I play for fun", rather than wondering if he's doing something wrong and if so what he should do about it, duly segues quite seamlessly into the "DGAF 'bout others" impression.

Has he done anything to you? Or do you just deem him a shitter because of the nature of his post???
See above; the wording and tone of his post readily imply he's exactly quote a shitter unquote, and more to the point prefers to put the blame on the attitude of others rather than whatever his own mistakes may be.

Because people around here DO associate "For Fun" with poor play. So the second anyone brings up, "playing for fun"; players associate said poster with a heavily negative stereotype and this very clear tone springs up in a god damn second.
Very true. Like it or not, and whether he's aware of it or not, "I play for fun" has long-established negative associations and tends to elicit knee-jerk reactions as well as immediate conclusions about anyone using the phrase.
And that's not just "people around here", as already mentioned this was the case in the WoT community already years ago; there it's usually dweebs with truly sub-par performance metrics who consistently invoked that excuse... in the context of a team-based PVP game.

I would be quite surprised if analogous phenomenoma were absent from pretty much any online multiplayer where team effort is relevant.

So far we have no indication of how he plays, what he plays, or anything. <_<
Incorrect; we have his own post from which quite a bit can already be inferred.
Lemme pick out some of the more eyebrow-raising bits:

--- I don't play specifically to get all the best loot or get the fastest times or to get a perfect run. It's just about enjoying the experience and recently it feels like the community has been strongly against this way of playing. In fact so strong that it's made my experience so miserable that I've completely lost the will to play since apparently there is only 1 way i'm allowed to play or else I get kicked.
---- We have no intention of "purposely" making anything more difficult it's just about having our character fight the way we want them to.
--- Why do I have to play the way YOU want. Why do I have to build MY character the same way you build YOUR character. It might as well be a single player game then.

I, for one, am not so generous a soul to *not* read that as "y u guys h8 me for being unrepentantly terrible in MPAs?"
But maybe years of MMO games have just left me cynical...

lunamaniac
Oct 24, 2015, 04:00 PM
We just need to be nice to one another.

I think if you know that you're using a build that's not considered very good then you should be considerate to other people you play with, for that reason.

I think it's good to understand your own limits and what your build is capable of. People party up to help one another, so it is kind to use a build you know will be suitable.

Most of the above only really applies to partying with randoms, if you're with friends you can just talk about it and come to some agreement.

I think that trying to explain in a reasonable way is something good that people on the other side can consider.

Especially for new players, they just don't know what's good and what's bad. Early experiences of being mistreated for not playing in an optimal way can lead to resentment.

Basically, just play nice everyone.

GoldenFalcon
Oct 24, 2015, 04:18 PM
You people are grouping up 2 entirely different issues under the banner of "playing for fun"

There are the people who don't learn to play the game. They simply don't use the resources available to them. I'm sure anyone would say they don't want this brand of bad player in their time-restricted parties.

Then there are the people who understand the resources available to them, but choose to do something that can be objectively called sub-optimal. If they are in this group, then they aren't choosing ignorance, and have reasons for what they're doing. Generally, these people don't cause problems or drag down the party, and I think it's unfair to treat them the same way as a person who is simply incompatible with playing a game like this.

ArcaneTechs
Oct 24, 2015, 04:26 PM
We didn't need another variation of the other thread, but i mean ya, Megidolans post got it square down

I have YET to meet anyone who can have FUN being a total badass/good (not elite or perfect, just good) at the game AT THE SAME time instead the usual "i have fun with my only shitty style that I impose on everyone"

this is like almost too much to ask, then i hear excuses about not having enough time to play etc its an MMO, you know fully well what your getting into

KLMS1
Oct 24, 2015, 04:28 PM
Then there are the people who understand the resources available to them, but choose to do something that can be objectively called sub-optimal. If they are in this group, then they aren't choosing ignorance, and have reasons for what they're doing. Generally, these people don't cause problems or drag down the party, and I think it's unfair to treat them the same way as a person who is simply incompatible with playing a game like this.

These people also know better than to bring their experimental off-the-wall shenanigans into group content in the first place, and hence draw little flak. (There is preciously little cause to think the OP is in THIS group.)

The distinction you're making is largely pointless and certainly bears little relevance to the topic.

Flaoc
Oct 24, 2015, 04:58 PM
"no fun allowed".

http://grabilla.com/05a18-c7e086e1-5d02-4536-a525-b25db46b13c8.png

:wacko:

Z-0
Oct 24, 2015, 05:02 PM
I thought everyone played PSO2 for fun.

Do people play PSO2 for other reasons?

un1t27
Oct 24, 2015, 05:04 PM

Do people play PSO2 for other reasons?

We both know that isn't true.

https://d.maxfile.ro/hrmzueljaq.gif

GHNeko
Oct 24, 2015, 05:57 PM
yo when's sayara getting to this thread?

Kondibon
Oct 24, 2015, 06:01 PM

Do people play PSO2 for other reasons?To fill the void in their empty hearts with excubes.

yoshiblue
Oct 24, 2015, 06:16 PM
yo when's sayara getting to this thread?

You will not be saved.

Sayara
Oct 24, 2015, 06:23 PM
A little while ago. I locked a thread:
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230522

That had the very simular response and path to destruction as this one. A similar fate shall follow.

"Your sins are forgiven."
Elpis§煌§