PDA

View Full Version : character build, PLEASE help

KiroMatic
Oct 25, 2015, 03:03 AM
So I apparently have to make another thread since mods found it necessary to lock the thread before I could get back from work and respond. Not angry or anything just making sure everyone knows.

I made the "What?" thread and I got some eye opening responses as well as some good laughs off of some not so nice fellows.

Firstly I want to say that it wasn't my intention to say "I want to be able to drag down EQs while playing my shitty build". Although I could understand where you thought I was saying that. All I meant was that people will mostly kick me or give me a huge hassle about not being up to their level but yet won't help me achieve what they desire.

Someone commented about not excepting criticism but to be honest I've never seen a PSO player EVER try to give legit criticism it's always just "Build like this" "pull your own weight". I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT THAT MEANS. I don't understand this games mechanics fully so I don't understand what I have to do to pull my weight. How can I pull my weight with my character?
You are clearly telling me that my character isn't good enough but then refuse to tell me what I need to do to improve.

I don't play MMOs like at all. Phantasy Star is pretty much the only one I've gotten into and it just feels awful to feel so disliked in the community. "like a plague" to quote my older post.

I don't understand your terms, I don't understand proper ways to build characters, PLEASE help.
But no. It's always just "git gud". I've searched these forums for help. I've googled for help. But I can't find the exact piece of info I'm looking for to have this make sense in my head. I've always been someone who had a weird way of learning. Like how most build puzzles starting from border and working towards the center I've always found puzzles easier starting from the center. Weirdly enough.

Anyways at this point I've lost all lot of hope of enjoying this game. Playing alone is so boring and I can't join others since I just get shit on followed immediately by getting kicked.

I'm honestly probably a lost cause. Maybe MMOs just aren't my thing. I can grasp JRPGs just fine. I can understand the deep gameplay mechanics of the Tales Series (for example) without a problem but PSO2 is just getting away from me. :-?

Shadowth117
Oct 25, 2015, 03:13 AM
So I apparently have to make another thread since mods found it necessary to lock the thread before I could get back from work and respond. Not angry or anything just making sure everyone knows.

I made the "What?" thread and I got some eye opening responses as well as some good laughs off of some not so nice fellows.

Firstly I want to say that it wasn't my intention to say "I want to be able to drag down EQs while playing my shitty build". Although I could understand where you thought I was saying that. All I meant was that people will mostly kick me or give me a huge hassle about not being up to their level but yet won't help me achieve what they desire.

Someone commented about not excepting criticism but to be honest I've never seen a PSO player EVER try to give legit criticism it's always just "Build like this" "pull your own weight". I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT THAT MEANS. I don't understand this games mechanics fully so I don't understand what I have to do to pull my weight. How can I pull my weight with my character?
You are clearly telling me that my character isn't good enough but then refuse to tell me what I need to do to improve.

I don't play MMOs like at all. Phantasy Star is pretty much the only one I've gotten into and it just feels awful to feel so disliked in the community. "like a plague" to quote my older post.

I don't understand your terms, I don't understand proper ways to build characters, PLEASE help.
But no. It's always just "git gud". I've searched these forums for help. I've googled for help. But I can't find the exact piece of info I'm looking for to have this make sense in my head. I've always been someone who had a weird way of learning. Like how most build puzzles starting from border and working towards the center I've always found puzzles easier starting from the center. Weirdly enough.

Anyways at this point I've lost all lot of hope of enjoying this game. Playing alone is so boring and I can't join others since I just get shit on followed immediately by getting kicked.

I'm honestly probably a lost cause. Maybe MMOs just aren't my thing. I can grasp JRPGs just fine. I can understand the deep gameplay mechanics of the Tales Series (for example) without a problem but PSO2 is just getting away from me. :-?

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45

There is literally an entire forum section devoted to helping you understand this crap. If you don't understand, than I frankly don't believe you've even tried to look.

Play what you want within reason. There's a good number of class setups that are viable for decent play so its not as if you don't have choices. But there are some setups that are abysmal at actually doing anything helpful for the mpa from lack of damage output and I would avoid these.

.Jack
Oct 25, 2015, 03:24 AM
^ use that section as shadow mentioned.

When it comes to play style as "fun" w/e it is you enjoy playing there's always those that will oppose mostly efficiency > fun so it's better to stick to asking in the quick questions thread rather than making a thread posted in the wrong section.

Hysteria1987
Oct 25, 2015, 03:36 AM
You are clearly telling me that my character isn't good enough but then refuse to tell me what I need to do to improve. This is PSOW in a nutshell :D

There was one good point brought up in the last thread - a good deal of the 'play for fun' vs 'everyone must be 1337' debate does come from game design issues. But then, the game was designed to be casual, so that's probably why it is the way it is. I'd love more 4p stuff, and more synergy between classes within games, but here we are.

It is a bit annoying in some senses- I mean, my main two characters are well-geared and powerful, but the way some of these public MPAs go out of the way to play is not how I want to play. Take the Halloween quest- I just want to run some laps. Eeeeveryone else seems keen on keeping to their top corner to spawn as many Gryphons as they can. To me, that's boring and pointless.

The solution is to make a bunch of friends and set up your own MPA. Unfortunately as we all know by now, that's much easier said than done, but that's the situation sadly enough. If you're not in a team already, it might be worth having a scout around to see if you can find one who plays the same sort of way you do.

wefwq
Oct 25, 2015, 03:43 AM
wow these thread again, keep up the good work OP.
http://puu.sh/kWNqb.jpg

emeraude
Oct 25, 2015, 03:43 AM
Did I miss something, or OP has already...asked for help here previously and got shot down? I'm not seeing anything specific other than 'well I apparently suck pls halp'.

Flaoc
Oct 25, 2015, 04:05 AM
@hysteria (too lazy to quote the specific spot)
well tbh run in circle quests are doomed to be boring from the start just due to the fact its a run in the circle so really in a quest that is run in a circle the only incentive really is to just farm for rares (ultimate included)

Maninbluejumpsuit
Oct 25, 2015, 04:45 AM

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230573

Currently at the top of that forum section.

Look a little harder in that section and you'll find class guides.

If that's still not enough, make a thread, and ask how to improve on your chosen way to play.

We're a salty bunch because there's guides, and threads devoted to answering people, and helping them, but people don't use them (this triggers me so hard when it comes to the amount of english players that fking suck at TD3, and magatsu)/get defensive when called out on their ignorance when we're more than willing to force feed people the information.

KiroMatic
Oct 25, 2015, 06:07 AM
I understand that these threads exist but like when i read them I just get that feeling of like..."there has to be something I'm missing" and I think I get this feeling because everyone makes it sound like there is such a huge skill gap between players that I feel like there is NO POSSIBLE WAY that this is all there is to it. It couldn't possibly be that simple.

KLMS1
Oct 25, 2015, 06:17 AM
I don't really see how that's relevant. Get your basics straight and the rest is mainly a question of paying attention and learning from experience.

Because if people are kicking you after pretty much taking one look at you like you say, your fundamentals must be in pretty lousy shape indeed. Are you trying to do Mining Bases with like, idk, Bo/Ra with ungrinded random 4* gear or smth?

GHNeko
Oct 25, 2015, 06:33 AM
I understand that these threads exist but like when i read them I just get that feeling of like..."there has to be something I'm missing" and I think I get this feeling because everyone makes it sound like there is such a huge skill gap between players that I feel like there is NO POSSIBLE WAY that this is all there is to it. It couldn't possibly be that simple.

If you want, I can take some time to sit down with you and explain the basics of high level play. That should help you wrap your head around the other forum.

From that point onward, you should go about learning stuff on your own.

Because really,at the most basic level, knowing how to play the numbers game is the biggest aspect of fundementals imo. That and not dying.

landman
Oct 25, 2015, 06:39 AM
If I had so little time I can't check skills descriptions and build guides but I'd still like to enjoy the game I'd just play normal difficulty and just see stuff, then quit (or wait for new content). If you reach Super Hard and Extra Hard you, at the least, need to understand how building a character works.

Then of course the game makes it easier and easier to level up, and It's not strange to see inexperienced players in SH.

isCasted
Oct 25, 2015, 07:15 AM

Well, if you read everything carefully and think it's simple, then it is simple. But I don't think any human being can sit through 400 pages of uncategorized opinions dating from 2013, a lot of which can be simply outdated.

There's plenty of people who maintain their guides, though. For example, we can't thank TaigaUC (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/search.php?searchid=2872808) enough for all the stuff. There're also guides on Reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/PSO2/), for example this beginner guide (https://drifterserce.wordpress.com/beginners-compendium/).

If you are trying to clarify something, or have questions about something that's not covered there, you should ask people. If you get "git gud" as an answer, you asked wrong people. Yes, that shit happens on this forum too, but there usually should be someone who will stand with you.

For much more advanced stuff, if you *really* want to git gud, there are videos YouTube and NicoNico. There are hundreds of videos showcasing uses of various class combos, skills and weapons in TAs and bosses. But that's only when you want to turn lv80 stuff into meat within seconds all by yourself.

light_song39
Oct 25, 2015, 07:57 AM
How can I pull my weight with my character?

As long as you have these, no one will be kicking you anytime soon:

Weapon/s fully grinded +10, 50/60 Element, damage potential unlocked 3 times
Units +10
Affixes min +60 attack per weapon/unit
Pure mag
Viable class combination
Correctly built skill tree
Actual skill in playing chosen class
Dressing your waifu to be the most phashionable

All of these you can learn through research, or by asking specific questions.

Best of luck and hope you learn to have fun while still learning about the game. ^^

Sayara
Oct 25, 2015, 08:08 AM
Hello, it was me who locked the thread. Apologies. Apologies.
Unfortunately threads as that tend to explode with the salty splatoons who like to tell others to get good.

And to be fair to you and others who wanna get it, but are lost in the depth of words.
Most of the guides are very overwhelming to look at. I think the TEcher guide got updated to be a front page "heres whats up" type of thing, but nobody wants to just play techer right? Gotta be a FI, or a HU etc.. I dont know if others do the same, id have to check. I will also consider floaty sticky the main "guides" people have made see about getting that stickied here and in guides for convenience.

Again, i did not mean any type of malice to close the thread, just cleanin.
issagoodjobmate.

sol_trigger
Oct 25, 2015, 08:11 AM
sasuga gaijin durama

ark0
Oct 25, 2015, 08:20 AM
Not everybody who plays this game is a bragard and scolder.

It really helps you out as player to do research into the dynamics of the game.

Check out pso2.cirnopedia.info
Check out sites.google.com/site/pso2db/home

light_song39
Oct 25, 2015, 08:22 AM
sasuga gaijin durama
I thought I read sausage drama

I will also consider floaty sticky the main "guides" people have made see about getting that stickied here and in guides for convenience.

Only the Techer thread seems to be updated? Ranger and Gunner threads have guides on their front page. Nothing on the front page of Braver, Bouncer, Force, Fighter. There's also no Hunter thread even though a Gunslash thread exists.

Sayara
Oct 25, 2015, 08:38 AM
Yeah i've noticed that. Looking through the guides and what not. I updated the guide page in any case: http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2775212#post2775212 hopefully I collected the right information, if not someone can drill some more info at me.

To people who common in those guides if there is a guide hidden among the posts please help me locate them so i can edit front posts to be similar to the others.
also make a HU guide :wacko:

PrinceBrightstar
Oct 25, 2015, 09:25 AM
I really hope when episode 4 starts Rebirth actually lives up to its name and allows players to rebirth their characters so this whole stigma goes away. It'll no longer be about having the max gear but rather how high you have leveled and how many times you've rebirthed. (Level 200 would be nice to help this as well.) Sure you might have players that change gear sets to a new maxed set every 10 levels but you couldn't ask something like this from a new player leveling the first time.

Not that I'm against improving your character but I think this whole thing has proven that not everyone is a gamer that understands all of the mechanics of the game. Let's be honest it's a ton for a new gamer to learn (and this isn't even a true MMO to begin with) when they might think they're getting along ok without realizing what they're doing. If anything this is where the game has really failed it's players. It teaches you about grinding but it really doesn't explain why you should keep doing it after 1 grind or why you should add abilities when some can't even be transferred and things like that. There are no in game tools to really help you with the end game. I didn't dabble in adding abilities for a long time and even today I don't do very often because I look for weapons that have mark attributes which inherently give those kind of boosts to begin with and you can't change the stats on them anyway outside of grinding because you'd lose the mark boost

To address those that constantly request this level from others, I have two things I want to say.

1. Try to not just come straight out and say "your build sucks" or things like that. That is toxic and does nothing to help the situation. Now in the case where a person refuses and says they don't want to improve, just drop it. No one is requiring you to stay in that group. And they're going to improve regardless in the end. Drops will give them what they need outside of grinding. Just flat out saying something like that makes you seem like a toxic player and having it wind up on a public forum like this gives non-players the impression that our community is as toxic as LoL when it comes to accepting new players, and we need as many as we can get given the difficulty in even getting the game started and passing the captcha boss at sign up.

2. When next week's bosses release do you think you're going to understand everything there is to know about them? No, you should expect to go down hard many times until you learn the mechanics as is standard in any game. I got a kick out of how many times Magatsu got failed because it reached the last gate and nobody realized (at first until it could be facerolled) that paying attention to the Etrials was important when it first released and I hope the same thing happens with these bosses. Sure things might go back to normal after a week or two but once they're on farm of course there don't expect everyone to just magically get the drops they need to get those 13* weapons. RNG will always hold things back in that respect. (I realize that contradicts my first point but that's RNG in a nutshell.)

KLMS1
Oct 25, 2015, 09:31 AM
I really hope when episode 4 starts Rebirth actually lives up to its name and allows players to rebirth their characters

what.

Fuck no.

isCasted
Oct 25, 2015, 10:23 AM
Heh, that reminded me of old times when I though that doubling effect from elemental masteries would encourage Forces to go for dual specs.

NightfallG
Oct 25, 2015, 10:27 AM
what.

Fuck no.

doubling this.

Anyone who likes 'rebirth' doesn't know what a fucking chore official Ragnarok Online was.

The only acceptable "rebirth" for PSO2 is just like what original PSO had; higher and higher level caps.

HentaiLolicon
Oct 25, 2015, 10:29 AM
dat 99mil exp to rebirth in Ragnarok 1 at x1/x1/x1 (sry, off topic)

Shadowstarkirby
Oct 25, 2015, 10:31 AM
OP, there's plenty of class guides and people that here are willing to help you build yourself to be effective. Heck, there's people on Reddit that will help too. I skimmed through your your posts and it doesn't even look like you asked a question here about help building your character so much as once. You have to take initiative and ask what you want to build and what you want to use. Sure, the class guides are messy, I myself thought the same thing at first, but someone suggested then, "Hey, maybe ask a question or make a thread instead?" And I did, and I can safely say I'm not playing like shit, have never had profanities thrown at me before for the way I've played, nor for the gear I used. I don't get kicked because I host my own parties and handpick LFP randoms in the lobby that look like obviously know what they're doing (extended weapon, RE-affixed (STOP USING LUXE UNITS), 10530'd or anyone close to what I'm looking for, I don't discriminate against class combinations unless they're the obviously stupid ones where in that case, I don't party with them).

Frankly, if you're getting kicked as much as you want us to believe, then there's definitely an issue with either how your playing or how you've built yourself, because gearing yourself like above is as easy and standard as can be. Maybe you have your skill points in the wrong places, like you're playing with Guard Stance or having HP Up 1 maxed or something and you're lacking damage. GHNeko is a helpful innovationist willing to help you out personally, so take up his offer. We're not being "elitist" for the sake of being elitist, if you can even call it that. We're so self loathing and appear to be a ball of hate because time and time again people make the same awful mistakes during the EQs that give a lot of rewards and the people who know what they're doing have to continually be lumped with them, attempting to salvage the run shouting out what to do, and repeatedly get ignored. My TD3 runs, scheduled and unscheduled, has been exactly like this for the past 2 days. That doesn't sound fun, does it?

I chewed you out in the first post you made in the tryhard thread because you came off as someone who doesn't give a shit about what they do and would happily drag down MPAs for their sake of their personal "fun" agenda. So, I apologize about that, but please understand that people will get furious if you don't even try to better yourself. Again, a lot of us are happy to help. Just ask.

light_song39
Oct 25, 2015, 10:35 AM
helpful innovator

NightfallG
Oct 25, 2015, 10:37 AM
By the way OP the reason people are getting salty with you is because your definition of 'fun' can wind up wasting 11 other people's time and precious boosters. This is a team-based game, it's not all about you.

Shadowstarkirby
Oct 25, 2015, 10:47 AM
helpful innovator

Please, don't be a grammar nazi. It's clear what I meant.

light_song39
Oct 25, 2015, 11:10 AM
Please, don't be a grammar nazi. It's clear what I meant.

Yeah, sorry about that.

Kondibon
Oct 25, 2015, 11:14 AM
doubling this.

Anyone who likes 'rebirth' doesn't know what a fucking chore official Ragnarok Online was.

The only acceptable "rebirth" for PSO2 is just like what original PSO had; higher and higher level caps.I've seen rebirth systems done fine before... in games meant for it from the start, like Mabinogi. I can't think of how a rebirth system could work well in PSO2.

jooozek
Oct 25, 2015, 12:08 PM
rebirthing can go eat a bag of dicks :wacko: levelling causes gag reflexes for me :wacko:

Gaylar
Oct 25, 2015, 12:36 PM
doubling this.

The only acceptable "rebirth" for PSO2 is just like what original PSO had; higher and higher level caps.

Gonna add to this and say-

The rebirth system in Lunia back when it was still around was exactly what killed the game and made it complete and utter shit to play.

The amount of power creep that got introduced when it came about was unreal, and the game went from a challenging beat-em-up arcade with great pvp to a pay-to-win piece of Korean bullshit.

Rebirthing really doesn't need to exist in PSO2. Could you imagine having to level all of your classes a 2nd, or even 3rd time just to be viable in Super Extra Hard? On multiple characters?

NightfallG
Oct 25, 2015, 12:45 PM
To be fair, outside of rare examples like RO and Mabinogi I've only ever seen rebirth systems used as a copout for actual content. This isn't me forgiving RO by the way, fuck 1x/1x/1x forever.

lunamaniac
Oct 25, 2015, 12:48 PM
I stopped playing Mabinogi because the rebirth system made the game a literally endless grind in which new players could never catch up with or play on equal footing with older ones.

Tunga
Oct 25, 2015, 12:53 PM
also make a HU guide :wacko:
Well that's easy just spam over end until you win :lol:
jk

Kondibon
Oct 25, 2015, 12:56 PM
I stopped playing Mabinogi because the rebirth system made the game a literally endless grind in which new players could never catch up with or play on equal footing with older ones.I don't disagree. I just think it did what it set out to do and worked with the other mechanics of the game. Which is why I don't think a rebirth system could work in PSO2. There's too much tied to your level and not anything that could be gained from going back to level one again. Infact it highlights a lot of the problems mabi had too. Like the fact that it was pretty much impossible to balance a game around everyone being able to do everything.

So yeah, I guess Mabi is a bad example too. I just liked not having a harsh levling curve and the curve being more for individual skills, which also doesn't apply to PSO2.

TaigaUC
Oct 25, 2015, 03:49 PM
Yeah, mods keep locking stuff before I can give reasonable replies that would really help inform people.

What I wanted to say is, I know a bunch of Japanese people who play PSO2 for various reasons. I guess you can call them "casual gamers".
They know they aren't good at action games, and don't have great gear. Or that their connection lags.
So, they just avoid doing group stuff that might hinder other people.
They mostly play at lower difficulties, or alone, until they feel they're ready enough to significantly contribute.

I've noticed that this kind of mentality is much less prevalent in the West.
In the West, people tend to believe they're special, that they're the best already, and that there is no room for them to improve.
Those people are often completely averse to any kind of criticism, often reacting with denial and anger.
Western people also seem to be much less resourceful, and often won't look things up on their own. Many don't seem to know how.

Alternatively, there are people who just want to do whatever they want, and expect everyone else to adapt.
For example, I see some EN players saying Japanese should speak English on the Japanese servers, to cater to EN players.
You agree upon how ridiculously selfish and ignorant that is, right?
I've even seen EN people behave extremely rudely whilst arguing that they "live in a free country" and that "it's a free world".

If you're seeing people react negatively to you, it's because of the huge number of assholes acting like I described above.

As far as I'm concerned, "when in Rome, do as the Romans do".
I mostly play solo, and when I play in groups I like to be a big contributor. I don't like to pull people down.
I get frustrated at people playing badly, but in actuality I don't know if it's because they're doing it intentionally or not.
Unless, of course, they just stand there doing nothing the entire time, every time I see them.

Anyway, fun is subjective. Everyone has different ideas of what's "fun".
At the same time, it's important to realize that group-based games carry some level of responsibility in terms of effective contribution.
That's called "etiquette", isn't it? And it's pretty common everywhere, not just in games.

In terms of game design, PSO2 - like many games - intentionally scales the difficulty, whilst adding new gear. These work as incentives for people to keep playing.
Note that PSO2 is far more reasonable than most other online games, in that you can still solo much of the content. Others have pay walls or force you to group.
If you want to enjoy the more difficult content, the two options you have are to either group with others (whilst preferably pulilng your weight), or gear yourself up for solo.

Poyonche
Oct 25, 2015, 04:15 PM
That's called "etiquette", isn't it? And it's pretty common everywhere, not just in games.

In french language the "étiquette" is the annoying thing in the shirts you just bought that always sting ur skin. :wacko:

TaigaUC
Oct 25, 2015, 04:22 PM
Oh? That's interesting.

Gamemako
Oct 25, 2015, 05:05 PM
What I wanted to say is, I know a bunch of Japanese people who play PSO2 for various reasons. I guess you can call them "casual gamers".
They know they aren't good at action games, and don't have great gear. Or that their connection lags.
So, they just avoid doing group stuff that might hinder other people.
They mostly play at lower difficulties, or alone, until they feel they're ready enough to significantly contribute.

I've noticed that this kind of mentality is much less prevalent in the West.

This attitude is not so prevalent on Ship 10, which is mostly Japanese players. My last Luther run on SH involved reviving a dozen people, doing all the buffs and Zanverse, using immunity and breaking 2 timestop swords myself to save most of the team (one guy died anyway), and generally being the only person knowing what the hell to even do-- on the fourth difficulty level.

Alternatively, there are people who just want to do whatever they want, and expect everyone else to adapt.
For example, I see some EN players saying Japanese should speak English on the Japanese servers, to cater to EN players.
You agree upon how ridiculously selfish and ignorant that is, right?

This attitude pops up everywhere in my experience. Depending on where your game servers are located, it may be Americans, Brazilians, or Taiwanese all forming their little cabals on one server or other.

gamesbloke
Oct 25, 2015, 05:09 PM
OP: Add me on PSO2: gamesbloke - We'll work it out, quest etc... Incidentally I am Ship 02.

Play a bit, ask your questions in the Quick Questions thread, then play a bit more. Making mistakes in PSO2 is still fun. Don't read 'THE BEST BUILDS' type threads because it will wreck your fun.

Percentage-wise you'll get shot down in flames approximately 35/40% in questions thread, lol. A shoot down is defined as a link to Cirnopedia or 'play the game' response. And Google is an acquaintance not a friend.

First 8/10 hours of your PSO2 experience will be flapping around, soloing and clumsily stumbling into orders and quests. It's a wall of content. Soloing will ground you and allow you to work out your journey.

I am super lucky because I found some cool dudes who are pro or near-pro but decent to chat with and above all, forgiving which is important when your finding your journey.

OP: Add me and we shall see if your experience improves.

TaigaUC
Oct 25, 2015, 06:04 PM
Builds are kinda annoying in PSO2 because you have to use real money or wait for reset passes to mess around with them.

This attitude is not so prevalent on Ship 10, which is mostly Japanese players. My last Luther run on SH involved reviving a dozen people, doing all the buffs and Zanverse, using immunity and breaking 2 timestop swords myself to save most of the team (one guy died anyway), and generally being the only person knowing what the hell to even do-- on the fourth difficulty level.

This attitude pops up everywhere in my experience. Depending on where your game servers are located, it may be Americans, Brazilians, or Taiwanese all forming their little cabals on one server or other.

Yeah. I mean, there are still asshole rude Japanese players. They just generally seem more worldly/considerate than people elsewhere.
Humans are still humans.

I'm also speaking from past experience in hanging out with EN communities on JP games and having to explain to so many people why it's better to not be loud and rude.
I remember when Brazilians and Thailanders invaded and destroyed various online games I used to play, sometimes getting us all IP banned.

milranduil
Oct 25, 2015, 07:02 PM

the attitude of a player that plays BoBr and expects anyone to believe they're carrying an mpa with it? :wacko:

Alisha
Oct 25, 2015, 07:18 PM
I've seen rebirth systems done fine before... in games meant for it from the start, like Mabinogi. I can't think of how a rebirth system could work well in PSO2.

phantasy star portable 2 infinity had a rebirth system and it was fine. the problem is the leveling experience in this game is terrible. infinity had magashi plan quest that gave like 300% exp so leveling was too bad. pso 2 is basically just afk until a decent EQ comes. at this point just bring on psu 2.

TaigaUC
Oct 25, 2015, 07:18 PM
Well, to be fair, MPAs can be such a mess that it's honestly difficult to tell if I'm actually contributing significantly or not.

The two things I've noticed clearly making a difference are Weak Bullet and Chain Trigger.
If I get off a ton of huge Chain Finishes, Magatsu dies super fast. Faces break super fast.
When I first organized Magatsu runs, I made the mistake of assigning a Chain Trigger user to WB main.
I felt that cost us a lot of DPS, so since then I try to keep as many people freely doing Chains as possible.
I also try to group them with the main WBer so they can help ensure Chain Finish does maximum damage.

Anyway, that's going off-topic.

ArcaneTechs
Oct 25, 2015, 10:11 PM
I'm still waiting for people to edit the class guides so on the first page all the info is UP TO DATE so that people dont have to dig through pages of info about their class (unless this has changed) so their post in their thread ends up becoming "is so&so okay with so&so?" "is okay to do this with this?" or something.

Just general ease, rather not dig through pages for certain things but on the other hand, I read JP comments more than anything else for info but would help the others out more

TaigaUC
Oct 25, 2015, 11:57 PM
Character builds:
This is roughly what I'm currently using for all classes.
Feel free to switch out points where you're absolutely certain you won't be using them (ie. Sword Gear if you never use Sword).

Note that the simulator is outdated in a few places (ie. number of points required for Braver).
Just try to max out stuff that looks like it's maxed out.

With Techer Wand Melee and Braver Katana:
http://pso2-skill.pwnedgalaxy.net/skillcalc.php?10fbxImbxImbxImbxImbxImbxImbxImbxIm0 jdOdBdoIbi2dBeK8JksXI20000006dodAI2bndAbofJkrxHoIn dnIo00000fdBboIbIdIofgOcAfqKJkdKIn00000fdoIbid2OgX qoGAJkIeInI200008dBbniN2SGA2X8cKIk00000fdBdAidrBqo esqBsNIkfGAcAIn000006dBIo4NGAdF6sNHSJkdo00000jdoIb kIHnqBfrBeFrAfaKdoIb00000f

Techer caster subclass (might be incorrect, as I haven't looked at my casters' trees in a long while) and Braver Bow:
http://pso2-skill.pwnedgalaxy.net/skillcalc.php?10fbxImbxImbxImbxImbxImbxImbxImbxIm0 jdOdBdoIbi2dBeK8JksXI20000006dodAI2bndAbofJkrxHoIn dnIo00000fdBboIbIdIofgOcAfqKJkdKIn00000fdoIbid2OgX qoGAJkIeInI200008dBbniN2SGA2X8cKIk00000ioIncKIdIod nGAqBIxIkGAcAin000006dBIo4Ni2HsrFJkIkloI200000fdoI bkIHnqBfrBeFrAfaKdoIb00000f

If you want to use other Tech elements, just move the points to another element. Bam, done.

Gamemako
Oct 26, 2015, 12:21 PM
Yeah. I mean, there are still asshole rude Japanese players. They just generally seem more worldly/considerate than people elsewhere.
Humans are still humans.

I can't understand them anyway. I'm just comparing apparent attitudes toward preparedness among people who don't feel the need to shape up to impress their hosts. There may be more cultural tendencies toward inclusiveness, but I believe those are mostly reflected in game design rather than player behavior. No matter their origin, most people don't join with intent to ruin the game for everyone else, and trolls are not exclusive to any culture.

I'm also speaking from past experience in hanging out with EN communities on JP games and having to explain to so many people why it's better to not be loud and rude.
I remember when Brazilians and Thailanders invaded and destroyed various online games I used to play, sometimes getting us all IP banned.

I just haven't found a difference between nationalities, though I admittedly have not seen JP communities in games outside their region. I've seen bellyaching within German-speaking communities about German players acting the same way.

Brazilians have a terrible rep in English-speaking communities about being lazy and not knowing what they're doing -- even if most of them are pretty good guys doing their best to succeed. In ArcheAge, the endgame guild vs. guild was all about capturing castles. When the Brazilians moved into the Salphira server, the (mostly) Brazilian alliance captured 4/4 castles and held them for months. The first castle to fall was the one castle formerly of the BR alliance which was held by a non-Brazilian guild. One of the guilds had a rule forbidding the use of Portugese in global chat, kicking players who disobeyed. Yet, that did nothing to change attitudes toward BRs. They're still lazy oi br huehue to the English-speaking community.

Note that the simulator is outdated in a few places (ie. number of points required for Braver).
Just try to max out stuff that looks like it's maxed out.

Your URL is outdated.

http://arks-layer.com/skillsim/

(It's still missing the Oct 14th changes, though.)

kurokyosuke
Oct 26, 2015, 05:06 PM
Brazilians have a terrible rep in English-speaking communities about being lazy and not knowing what they're doing

I'm pretty sure the BR stereotype is that they only play free online games they can get into easily and cheat as much as they can for their own benefit/entertainment. Your example doesn't exactly help against that stereotype.

Gamemako
Oct 26, 2015, 05:37 PM
I'm pretty sure the BR stereotype is...

In that sense, it's pretty much anything as long as it serves to denigrate an outgroup. Having few of them speak feeds outgroup homogeneity and makes them all lazy, stupid, cheating, abusive huehues; having many of them speak makes them disrespectful huehues. The reason that sort of stereotype is so hard to break is that the issue arises from the standard human biases and not any sort of assailable logic.

//EDIT: That might have come off a bit more accusatory than intended. What I'm trying to say is that it's a matter of emotional responses particularly as they relate to group dynamics, and the ideas are necessarily nebulous as a result.

//EDIT 2: It's also getting fairly tangential at this point to the main thread, which is about choosing skill builds and not just player attitudes toward one another. MMO players generally are really lazy with their thinking, so if you're not playing cookie-cutter builds with easily-recognizable items, they don't want to use any mental assets (whether they have those assets to spare or not) to consider the nonstandard equipment. They just assume it's the worst thing ever and will cause the entire group to instantly implode. If you want to make life easy for yourself, just play cookie-cutter to get the busybodies off your case.

TaigaUC
Oct 26, 2015, 06:52 PM
snip

One of the things I noticed with JP (and Korean?) online games is they tend to slack on security.
Although whether that's because they can easily catch offenders (via ID/SSN or whatever) or because people there tend to behave better is probably debatable.
International games would require international law enforcement, which I don't think anybody really cares about doing.

Thanks for the heads up about the outdated link.

milranduil
Oct 26, 2015, 08:57 PM
In that sense, it's pretty much anything as long as it serves to denigrate an outgroup. Having few of them speak feeds outgroup homogeneity and makes them all lazy, stupid, cheating, abusive huehues; having many of them speak makes them disrespectful huehues. The reason that sort of stereotype is so hard to break is that the issue arises from the standard human biases and not any sort of assailable logic.

//EDIT: That might have come off a bit more accusatory than intended. What I'm trying to say is that it's a matter of emotional responses particularly as they relate to group dynamics, and the ideas are necessarily nebulous as a result.

//EDIT 2: It's also getting fairly tangential at this point to the main thread, which is about choosing skill builds and not just player attitudes toward one another. MMO players generally are really lazy with their thinking, so if you're not playing cookie-cutter builds with easily-recognizable items, they don't want to use any mental assets (whether they have those assets to spare or not) to consider the nonstandard equipment. They just assume it's the worst thing ever and will cause the entire group to instantly implode. If you want to make life easy for yourself, just play cookie-cutter to get the busybodies off your case.

is this why you don't like TeBr? too complicated for you? :D