PDA

View Full Version : Concerning Translation

taarna23
Nov 5, 2015, 04:21 PM
I know a lot of effort has been made to make this playable for us English speakers, and I think that's fantastic! My concern comes in to the things that are not translated, and I find myself wondering...

How similar are the JP and Singapore (SG) servers? The SG PSO2 is entirely English, at least in text. If they are at least pretty close, would it not be possible to bring over some of that translation?

taarna23
Nov 5, 2015, 04:30 PM
SEA server in a nutshell:

Is Pay to Win
Bad translation (Wizard?..... )
Crappy costumes
Less players
Outdated

Thanks, but that's rather not what I asked.

I had a friend that worked on that translation - things like Wizard are not bad, per se, it's that the area has no previous experience with Phantasy Star anything, so they wanted something people could relate to.

Z-0
Nov 5, 2015, 04:39 PM
The translation on SEA is great, well, at least until Episode 2. The terminology might be "wrong", but that's because they didn't translate it. The translations of the tool tips and story etc. are mostly on point.

Episode 1's translation quality was great though, but after that it's pretty terrible.

Rupikachu
Nov 6, 2015, 08:01 AM
The translation on SEA is great, well, at least until Episode 2.

Wizard

Also "Lord zeno and Lord Guntram" *plays imperial march cut-in*

TaigaUC
Nov 6, 2015, 08:59 AM
I know this doesn't answer your questions, but I wanted to say that I had no experience with Phantasy Star prior to PSO1 and I didn't have any problem relating to the names/terms in that.

I personally feel there's no real reason to change names or terms, except under circumstances such as being confusing, jarringly bizarre, or linked to some kind of widespread trauma.
People can and will learn new stuff.

taarna23
Nov 6, 2015, 09:35 AM
Well, guys, thanks for the entirely derailed thread. I see now that I'm in the wrong place.

Anduril
Nov 6, 2015, 09:54 AM
Well, guys, thanks for the entirely derailed thread. I see now that I'm in the wrong place.
Well that is the thing, this is the wrong place to bring this up. You probably want to go to the forum of the psumods team who actually make the English patch. You can probably get a better dialogue about this subject there.

sol_trigger
Nov 6, 2015, 10:12 AM
Wizard is utter shit trans attempt because this is PSO, not dark souls

landman
Nov 6, 2015, 11:24 AM
The game already has some things from the SEA translation... some EQ mesages were changed ("naberian forest" was not used in initial translations), the texts that pop up in message pads are the same ones than SEA as far as I've seen, and I wouldn't be surprised if there are others. Main problem is the SEA is outdated, and as it has already been said episode 2 translations are almost machine translations unlike episode 1.

Z-0
Nov 6, 2015, 03:19 PM
Wizard

Also "Lord zeno and Lord Guntram" *plays imperial march cut-in*
Like I said, terminology (and names) are silly, but that doesn't mean the SEA translation is a load of "shit". People are really quick to jump on the hate train.

Taken from a post by Agrajag, here's a snippet from 1-3:

Fourier: Do you hear that? Sounds like metal on metal.<br>Is someone fighting?
Guntram: Aww, come on. Come on! Giant piles of iron and that's as<br>tough as you are? Pathetic! You're just gonna leave me<br>bored?!
Fourier: Horrible. I can't watch any more.
Guntram: What's this? Sorry, kids, but this is my little playground.<br>Find your own spot.
Guntram: Wait a sec. Forget the whiny cast a minute. You, I've<br>seen before.
Melphon: One "<%me>," Guntram.
Guntram: Oh, yeah. The one that was with the mask. Silly me,<br>forgetting the name of my prey.
Guntram: So, you bring your masked friend with you this time?
Guntram: Or are you here to entertain me yourself?
Guntram: What do you want, cast? I got no use for you.
Fourier: Y-You're the one who's been rampaging around here.<br>Aren't you?
Guntram: Rampaging? The hell are you on about? I'm just doin' my<br>job.
Guntram: That's what we do, see? We drop down on a planet and<br>we clean up the mess there. That's all.
Fourier: That's not all! Our duties include making contact and<br>fostering communication with intelligent native species!
Guntram: Ugh, you take everything you read in a recruiting<br>pamphlet at face value?
Guntram: How's a guy supposed to make nice with the natives when<br>they could be D-arker-infected killing machines? Eh?!
Guntram: You're with me on this. Aren't you, <%me>?
(Choice)
1. Nod.
2. Shake your head.

Option 1:
Guntram: Right?! Heh, I knew you and me were the same type.<br>I can smell it on you.
Fourier: <%me> is nothing like you!
Guntram: Nothing like someone blind to the pain and suffering of<br>others!
Guntram: Hah!

Option 2:
Guntram: Aw, ain't that sweet?
Guntram: But you and I are the same. I can smell it. And you're<br>crazier than I am if you think some pretty words can<br>hide that.

Guntram: Huh? The hell is this little freak? I don't like being<br>stared at, fluff ball.
Guntram: Heh, guess the D-arkers've got to it. I bet it's just<br>itching to attack some poor, innocent ARKS op.
Guntram: Guess I got no choice but to put it out of its misery!
Fourier: No!
Guntram: Huh?
Fourier: Are you okay? Go. Hurry, you have to run.
Guntram: You're gonna take a hit for your enemy? That's so far<br>past stupid, I ain't even got the words.
Fourier: They're not the enemy! They... They saved my life. Now<br>it's my turn.
Guntram: And you? You with her, <%me>?
Guntram: Pfft, you don't get it. You just don't get it.
Guntram: Yeah, they're all cute now. Wait'll they get contaminated.
Guntram: You think they'll like going berserk? Killing their own?<br>Killing their families? Ending them now is a mercy!
Guntram: Best watch how you're lookin' at me, cast.
Guntram: Hmph. You killed my buzz. Mel, we're leaving!
Melphon: Yes, sir. Good day to you, <%me>.
Guntram: Move your ass, Mel! I ain't waiting on you!
Fourier: I'll be fine. Just some light surface damage. Heh, my<br>resilience is about the only thing I have going for me.
Fourier: And... I know. He's right. At least in part.
Fourier: Exposure to the D-arkers' influence drives organisms<br>mad. Once they lose control, there's nothing to do but<br>euthanize them. I know that.
Fourier: This whole effort to pay them back is just for my own<br>sake. To make me feel better for what I've done. What<br>I may have to do.
Fourier: It may just be delaying the inevitable, but still,<br>I want to have faith. For as long as I can.
Fourier: Thank you... Were you worried about me? That's very<br>sweet, but I'm fine. See? Fine!
Fourier: Heh heh. Still skittish, I guess. But there's enough<br>of a connection there to hope.
Fourier: I have to believe the time I have left will be enough.<br>Until then, I'm not giving up.
Good quality, perfectly understand and written in good English.

Later on though...

A.P.238/6/13/10:30
Melphon: ...This place really has<br> unusually little D-arker aura about it.
Melphon: So little that if Lord Guntram<br> were present, I bet he would<br> go mad with excitement...
Melphon: ...Hmmmm, how I miss the old days.<br>Even though It still hasn't been that long, it already feels so nostalgic.
Melphon: ...When I first met Lord Guntram, while he was given to extremes, was not so violent.
Melphon: After all, he would play with me when I was young, and I'm sure he wasn't <br>hated by the others...not even by Lord Zeno...
Melphon: But, I'm the one who ruined all that...
Melphon: ngh!?<br>Wh..Who are you?!
Melphon: Is...Is that me?!
Melphon-B: 10 years ago..<br>D-arkers attack...the Apprentice incarnate...
Melphon-B: Just after I came out...Just after <br>I was left out...To protect myself...
Melphon: ngh!<br>I don't believe it!<br>It can't be...!
Melphon-B: *pant*... *pant* ... We must...We must...push <br>forward.
wat

reaper527
Nov 9, 2015, 01:42 PM
the sea version is ages behind. the stuff that's in that game is already translated in the jp version.

beyond that, the sea version is known for being a pretty poor translation.