PDA

View Full Version : Steam Controller and PSO2

landman
Nov 11, 2015, 04:41 AM
Steam hardware is finally released, I got my controller around a month ago and no lies, most people was disappointed with the the first impression, the thing is new, and strange, and some games worked worse than using an xbox pad. But a few firmware updates later and after a bunch of hours using it I can say the trackpad gives far better results than an analogue stick even in games that only work with a controller.

Gameguard also got updated around a week and half ago, not sure if coincidence (Steam Beta client updated almost every day, so not sure which one got the thing done, a lot of Steam games use Gameguard and it wouldn't surprise me if Valve asked them to allow the controller), but after that day, I can finally bind both mouse and keyboard to my Steam controller!

That opens the door not only to precise aim, but also to a lot of binds.

http://i.imgur.com/Z1i4kkx.jpg

That's my general layout, not definitive and still not used to everything. It's mostly a pad layout, placed X on the left Grip button (dodge in my case), and the Y button on double tab on the right trackpad (lock-on on/off), and switched the real Y with tabulator. I'm still not liking it, emulating the mouse means I can't switch targets the same way as if using the right stick, I'm considering switching the trackpad from mouse to stick with mouse like emulation, it's not as precise, but it's still better aiming than a normal stick.

I left the Right Grip button for switching between functions, and this allows for extra bindings:

The left trackpad works as the d-pad, but I made it to work just by touching it, no click needed, so click is actually a 5ft button:

http://i.imgur.com/BHhl55B.jpg

And when I hold Right Grip it shifts to this:

http://i.imgur.com/QfXCP5b.jpg

You can configure shifted functions on both trackpads (10 total binds), on the analogue stick (not using it), and on the face buttons (ABXY, 8 total binds).

My current shift layout for my right thumb is 1-9 from the numpad for weapon and palette switch, that was basically the only thing I used my keyboard for in combat :razz:

timesyndicate
Nov 12, 2015, 04:43 AM
I also just got Steam controller, I want to play PSO2 with Steam controller but in my case not working, I don't know how or why it not work, maybe the PSo2 isn't recognize the Steam controller as controller or I might doing something wrong in set up.

How do you make it work with PSo2 can you break down step by step, I got into big picture mode to config controller like normal, I thought it should work on PSo2 after I configure big picture mode.

landman
Nov 12, 2015, 05:20 AM
You MUST launch the game through Steam, and Big Picture is mandatory in order to configure the controller, once you are ok with all the parameters, you can launch without Big Picture and Steam will load it.

Outside of Steam the pad only works as a mouse and only for navigating windows.

Gama
Nov 12, 2015, 05:55 PM
k i know what i'm giving myself this xmas.

timesyndicate
Nov 12, 2015, 08:54 PM
You MUST launch the game through Steam, and Big Picture is mandatory in order to configure the controller, once you are ok with all the parameters, you can launch without Big Picture and Steam will load it.

Outside of Steam the pad only works as a mouse and only for navigating windows.

Can you help me, I'm current using PSO2 tweaker so which file should I choose to launch without using PSO2 tweaker.

landman
Nov 12, 2015, 09:16 PM
OMFG in the most recent update they added something I actually asked them by mail! I'll guess I was not the only one asking this: an on screen keyboard that pops up and you can customize, they made it up to 16 buttons, configurable on size, opacity, position or even icons and colours (buggy right now), suddenly my controller got so many spare buttons lol

http://i.imgur.com/vk6st2l.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/PvA3py7.jpg

Can you help me, I'm current using PSO2 tweaker so which file should I choose to launch without using PSO2 tweaker.
Add the tweaker to Steam:

1. Open Steam
2. top menus - Games - Add a non steam game to my library
3. Select Tweaker
4. Launch Tweaker from your library

If the steam layout pops up when you launch the game and after gameguard then it's working, if it doesn't check some tweaker options, they may fix it.

timesyndicate
Nov 13, 2015, 03:37 AM
ok I kind giving up on the setting, it's confusing me, I add tweaker into library and launch the game, but the steam layout didn't pop up. My set up is normal game pad not the high precision game pad, it should be work because normal game pad should work like 360 of Xbox one controller.

landman
Nov 13, 2015, 05:32 AM
If the overlay doesn't work, the controller will not work, solve that problem first, go into tweaker options, and check every option, I think to remember there is something related to the steam overlay there.

Or make a search, google shows a lot of discussions regarding this:

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221820

timesyndicate
Nov 14, 2015, 04:51 AM
Well I ran issue with controller even I get Tweaker into overlay, it seem word can't describe how about video to show you my problem. Control layout Game-pad style, border less.

youtube.com/watch?v=eV043g7katg

timesyndicate
Nov 14, 2015, 05:11 AM
And one more, this is a non steam launch, direct launch from twitch still having issue

.youtube.com/watch?v=6WV8UHmjtI4

unknownex
Nov 14, 2015, 12:37 PM
Well I ran issue with controller even I get Tweaker into overlay, it seem word can't describe how about video to show you my problem. Control layout Game-pad style, border less.

youtube.com/watch?v=eV043g7katg

Hi, im getting same problem, i solve it.

you MUST launch steam client [Run this program as an Administrator](right click menu). and run Tweaker on steam

PSO2 need administrator permission, must run steam and steam controller on administrator

have a nice arks life!
(sry for my not good english, im japanese)

landman
Nov 14, 2015, 12:57 PM
Try launching the game in big picture, then configure the controller there. I usually play in big picture so I can adjust everything while playing.

timesyndicate
Nov 14, 2015, 01:00 PM
Hi, im getting same problem, i solve it.

you MUST launch steam client [Run this program as an Administrator](right click menu). and run Tweaker on steam

PSO2 need administrator permission, must run steam and steam controller on administrator

have a nice arks life!
(sry for my not good english, im japanese)

I already launch using Administrator, the controller keep act like mouse in game. What do you mean put controller on administrator mode, only allow Steam run as administrator doesn't mean it already allow Steam controller run as Admin ?

timesyndicate
Nov 14, 2015, 01:05 PM
Try launching the game in big picture, then configure the controller there. I usually play in big picture so I can adjust everything while playing.

Nope the controller still useless, it keep acting PSO2 game as mouse not actual game pad, when I launch tweaker from steam the controller response like game pad, moving right pad on controller the mouse not moving, when the PSO2 launch the controller return to like mouse setting not game pad.

timesyndicate
Nov 14, 2015, 01:14 PM

Nope the controller still useless, it keep acting PSO2 game as mouse not actual game pad, when I launch tweaker from steam the controller response like game pad, moving right pad on controller the mouse not moving, when the PSO2 launch the controller return to like mouse setting not game pad.

landman
Nov 14, 2015, 01:49 PM
Just to be sure, are you using Steam Beta client? go to settings and select the option to use beta updates, I don't really know how much updated is the public client. This will also update the controller firmware to the latest (plug it with the usb cable).

For me it works like this:

I launch the tweaker from my steam short-cut. The controls here are the same as the default desktop control, just like a mouse.

Once the game launches the control is then the one I have configured, if you select the default gamepad layout it should work as one, then you can change each part as you like.

timesyndicate
Nov 14, 2015, 03:19 PM
Just to be sure, are you using Steam Beta client? go to settings and select the option to use beta updates, I don't really know how much updated is the public client. This will also update the controller firmware to the latest (plug it with the usb cable).

For me it works like this:

I launch the tweaker from my steam short-cut. The controls here are the same as the default desktop control, just like a mouse.

Once the game launches the control is then the one I have configured, if you select the default gamepad layout it should work as one, then you can change each part as you like.

I did like you say, set steam to update beta still nothing, either I launch from steam or big picture mode still the same. Open tweaker using steam it act like game pad, when PSO2 finally run it acting like a mouse on the controller, I had to hit something outside like press window logo for start display the controller going back into game pad, when I click back the game the controller start acting mouse again. This is confusing hell out of me, my Xbox one wireless adapter not working well with the game because it keep bind LT to RT and now steam controller not recognize PSo2 as a game but a mouse.

Charmeleon
Nov 14, 2015, 03:37 PM
Do you have any other gamepads connected? I don't think PSO2 will accept input from more than one x-input device at once, so you'll have to disconnect all of them but the Steam Controller.

timesyndicate
Nov 14, 2015, 03:49 PM
No I don't have any other gamepad connect, I have xbox one with wireless adapter past week try to make PSo2 work but it useless so I use Steam controller, but the game keep recognize as a mouse input when everytime PSO2 launch and the odd thing that the game pad work in tweaker but not the actual game.

landman
Nov 14, 2015, 04:37 PM
I have really no idea what the problem may be, I use windows 7, my Steam is NOT running as administrator (but it's installed outside of any windows folder, as always), the same applies to pso2 and the tweaker, and I have an extra x360 controller plugged that works perfectly fine as a second controller in local multi-player games, in the Tweaker options I have "Steam mode" enabled, but I think I actually didn't need that the first time I tried to launch the game on Steam.

It may actually be a current bug, I think I've heard similar problems on the Steam forums, with games using a launcher that don't work properly after the launcher closes and the game start, but I didn't have any problem with the same mentioned game. Or others I've tried.

If I were you, I'd try to solve my XBO controller problems first (I'm sure there is a thread around the forum), and wait for future updates on the Steam Controller, it's not a secret Gaven doesn't like w10, so they will go faster fixing things to other OS.

timesyndicate
Nov 14, 2015, 05:22 PM
I got my Xbox one controller work with wire, then I bought wireless adapter and the controller keep binding LT to RT button, no matter how I try to config the controller the device manager doesn't gave me any option to change driver adapter, so I look for steam, Win 10 suppose to work well, steam controller recognize as gamepad mode then PSO2 launch it recognize as mouse input mode, I don't know what the heck causing this problem you mention steam mode in PSO tweaker and I just enable but it still useless, I do quick search and other said that Steam mode suppose to keep tweaker on while PSO2 on, in my case I didn't see tweaker on when PSO2 launch.

Could you like do a short video tour all of your setting and do screenshot?

landman
Nov 14, 2015, 06:31 PM
For me, the moment the game launches, the controller stops working as desktop mode and starts working with my configuration. I don't think I have any special configuration I haven't said already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_qNeiUZtQU

timesyndicate
Nov 14, 2015, 08:14 PM
OH MY F**KING DAMIT, GOD DAMN I ALL OF THIS TIME I THOUGHT THE CONTROLLER NOT WORK, or the software issue of any other advance troubleshoot BUT I JUST FOUND OUT WHEN I SAW YOUR VIDEO, When the game launch PSO2 I saw pop up steam controller then I Hold Steam logo on the Steam controller pop up set up menu, I check the controller lay out IT F**KING PRE-SET High Percision mouse setting for FPS Game, NO WONDER HOW MANY TIME I TRY IT WOULDN'T"T work as GAMEPAD, Infact STEAM Controller think this game is FPS and the Controller preset FPS layout button. GOD I"M SO HAPPY NOW THE PROBLEM IS FIX!!!!!!!!!! ARGHHH 3 days spending Finding solution try many possibility, messing around Device manager and change hard ware and software, and yet just 1 simple solution hold steam logo on the controller to change game pad set up, for the moment I also though it maybe window 10 cause the issue but no.

HIT0SHI
Nov 15, 2015, 04:07 AM
Good to know you found a fix. (^:

timesyndicate
Nov 15, 2015, 09:57 PM
@landman what is the setting of your right pad speed, even I set everything high I feel still slow than my xbox one right joystick and sometime I move and stop sudden the camera make like another extra rotation, do you have that issue?

belmonkey
Nov 16, 2015, 01:22 AM
I've been having a bit of trouble getting used to the Steam controller for fast-paced shooters, but I'm starting to like it more for slower-paced games like PSO2 that don't need as much precision. I've also settled for a setup similar to the 360 pad, although I use the left bumper as a modifier to turn XYBA into numpad 1,2,3, and 4 respectively, and left trackpad left, up, right, and down clicks into numpad 5, 6, 7, and 8 respectively. It uses joystick movement, and low sensitivity with a bit of mouse acceleration and trackball. I only play Force though, so I don't know how well it works with other classes, but I did my own gameplay with it and, despite still learning to get used to it, I don't think my performance was too much different than with the 360 pad that I'm used to, and I had access to a lot more hotkeys at once compared to the 360 pad. I'd post the Youtube video (same username), but my post count is too low >_<

It's nice that it also doesn't seem terribly difficult to share controller bindings in non-Steam games like this. If you have the text for the VDF file of a controller config, I think you only have to paste that into a notepad file and save the file with a ".vdf" at the end, then put that file into the basic Steam controller templates folder so that it can pop up in any game under the templates tab.

landman
Nov 16, 2015, 05:07 AM
@landman what is the setting of your right pad speed, even I set everything high I feel still slow than my xbox one right joystick and sometime I move and stop sudden the camera make like another extra rotation, do you have that issue?

On advanced options, you can make the outer ring to move at high speed, and I usually increase the area of that outer ring (reduce the radius) and the movement goes to top speed, the centre of the trackpad is still working as a trackball while the limits are similar to a stick. I also have the trackball friction set to low so fast swipes have enough inertia to turn very fast. I currently changed back to mouse-like joystick instead of mouse and I'm trying to use the mouse aim with the gyroscope, but I've not spent much time in pso2 lately so I don't really have a definitive opinion on this configuration.

It's nice that it also doesn't seem terribly difficult to share controller bindings in non-Steam games like this. If you have the text for the VDF file of a controller config, I think you only have to paste that into a notepad file and save the file with a ".vdf" at the end, then put that file into the basic Steam controller templates folder so that it can pop up in any game under the templates tab.
Yeah, I actually modified the PSO2 config file with icons and colours that only appear in some games (supposedly they fixed it but still looks buggy in some games) only by editing the text file, copying it from another game.

After the addition of touch menus that allow you many more bindings I changed ABXY buttons shift function to the same with turbo, just to press switches lol