PDA

View Full Version : Is it too late to start?

Bolmack
Nov 11, 2015, 11:44 PM
Hello, im an old player of PSO sagas i played almost all PSOs and i did played PSO2 in the beta but had to stop bcause my bad japanese xD

Well, now i have the time to play and i want to know a couple things:

The server is good?

Is there a lot of people playing it?

I usually use RAcast, is it a viable character in this game?

What kind of character you recomend me to start in PSO2?

Thank you all i hope i can join the fun. 8-)

raialeus
Nov 12, 2015, 12:00 AM
1. Language isn't a problem at all because there's the tweaker with English translated menu

2. JP server is constantly being updated and thus better than SEA server.

3. There are still a good amount of English players on Ship 2, causing JP to mirgate

4. Race and Class are no longer bounded together in PSO2, you can be a CAST and use every class, including Force or Techer, PP replaced TP

5. Whichever character you like, the basic principles like CAST are stronger in Range shooting and Newman are stronger in Techniques still apply but it doesn't stop you from playing whichever Race.

Enjoy your stay

Bolmack
Nov 12, 2015, 12:35 AM
Damn thanks, those are really good answers.

Well right now im downloading the game, and already saw enough videos for the installation whit the english patch, i always enjoy PSO games idk why but the story is something that match my imagination.

Well now is just time to play a lot and hope i can get a couple friends to start whit.

Thanks for everything! ill be here a lot C:.

kurokyosuke
Nov 12, 2015, 12:41 AM
To slightly elaborate on what Arredoval said about class, you can change classes at the Class Counter any time you like outside of quests. You can also assign a sub-class to your character once you reach a high enough level, which will, of course, boost the abilities of your main class. If you're going to try out all the classes before you decide on your main go-to, you should hold off on raising your Mag. If you level up your Mag for RA use, but for whatever reason decide to main something like FO instead, then you're kinda screwed in that department. Though, if you're willing to dish out a little cash, you can buy additional Mags for 300 AC (300 yen; ~US$2.40) each, up to a maximum of 10 total.
Also, if you plan on buying AC, I suggest investing in getting Item Pack expansion. You can permanently increase the number of items you can carry with you from the basic 50 to 100 (and can be further increased to 150 when EP4 comes out), which is especially useful when you're running quests which will drop a shitload of rares for you to pick up.

KLMS1
Nov 12, 2015, 03:29 AM
Speaking of Mags, do read the relevant guides. That'll save you from completely screwing up the raising of the poor little thing and finding it necessary to either buy a new one or spend an inordinate amount of a particular ingame exchange currency on items to lower undesirable stats.

"Babby's Horrible First Mag" is a very common "old shame", as I can also personally attest to. >.>

SilenWhisper
Nov 12, 2015, 03:47 AM
BEFORE you create any character,you must decide what to focus upon.While you're free to do anything,character status & 1 mag will limit your efficiency.I reccomend 2 character choices.
1)Male Cast for anything non-tech related.
2)Female Newman for techs only.
Here (http://arks-layer.com/skillsim/skillcalc.php) you can check skill trees & character status.

TehCubey
Nov 12, 2015, 08:13 AM
My comments to what was said already:

1. You need to do a bit of planning in advance. The good thing is that any race can use any class, and the stat differences are minor enough that anyone can be competent at anything.

But the bad thing is that you can't easily reset your skill trees if you spend skill points badly (reset passes are distributed when skills change, but that's not always frequent), and your mag will be good for only one kind of class - s-atk, r-atk or t-atk centric. So pick which one of those you want and build the mag accordingly.

For reference's sake: You get one mag free per character, more can be bought with AC. And by "build" I mean - feed the mag with items that will give it all atk of appropriate type, and nothing else.

2. It's true that ship 2 has the largest EN speaking community. But there are non-Japanese players on other ships too, and they also tend to be healthier in terms of item prices and (IMO) general attitude of players. So it's not that you must play on ship 2. Ships 4, 7 and 10 also have a bit of EN speaking players.

Achelousaurus
Nov 12, 2015, 10:44 AM
Compared to ship, only ship 10 has a notable English community though and the rest are really small.
Even ship 10 is a lot smaller than ship 2.

Anyway, the biggest change from PSO1 to PSO2 is speed. PSO1 was slow and pondering but this is a fast paced action rpg and you should play it as such.
I failed hard at first cause I tried to play it like PSO1 but it's really different.
And ranger is even more different, the class won't be good unless you play it like a shooter with over the shoulder camera.

Also, while normal quests are for 4 players, a lot of content if for up to 12 people. Sadly this means there is a lot less communication between players and people sometimes even afk during quests.

As subclass you want Hunter for making the best use of ranger weapons.
Since you can max all classes on a single character it's best to do that and not split them among several characters so you can do a lot of different builds.

Since you can change classes so easily, you can just try out what you like and switch whenever you want. Most people play a lot of classes depending on the quest and what they feel like.

You should create your 2nd character soon, just for the all reset tree reset passes we get every time skill trees are changed.
Every character gets one even at lvl 1 if you never played it.
And if you actually want to play a 2nd character you can always delete it and make one you actually like (but 3rd and later characters are paid and remaking costs AC).

Anyway, mag feeding is super easy now. You'll want pure atk, If you play ranger first make it 200 r-atk by feeding 7*-9* r-atk weapons (blue) and reducing dex with mushroom chairs (or any other 5* room item) from the My Room shop.
All you need to do is pay attention so dex doesn't level up, in this game the lower the stat, the more easily it grows so you will need to use Mushroom Chairs roughly as every 3rd item.

For s-atk and t-atk it's the same with their respective weapons and 4* / 6* room items.

Many NPCs have client orders (cos) that give you exp or money for killing enemies, completing quests, collecting stuff, etc..

Most notably Koffie on the right side of the gate counter who gives you cos to unlock new areas and mags and your subclass and new difficulties.

For exp Hans on the left side of the gate has exp cos for killing stuff that reset every day and are really important if you want to lvl fast.

Early on it's easiest to get money with daily orders cause they are just about killing enemies, collecting stuff or completing quests with A rank or better (rank increases from doing E-trials and killing stuff but decreases if players die).
Via the Featured quest option at the quest counter or by joining existing parties directly or with the "Join as Another Party" option you can still do some quests even if you haven't unlocked them.

Faina on the left side of the quest counter gives these out.

Once you unlocked enough areas Klotho, who can be reached with the stairs next to hans, gives you Time Attack Client Orders (tacos) which are the easiest source of money and can be done weekly.
These are very complicated so you should ask for help and here (http://ohpso2.wikia.com/wiki/Time_Attacks)is a guide.
Note that you really got to tell people you're new to tacos or they get pissed when you don't carry our weight.

At the moment it's really easy to level up, you even get a 10% exp boost for every party member and some daily orders give you +3% triboost which increase meseta drops, rare drops and also exp, this daily triboost maxes at 30%.
That's 70% more exp without even doing much.
Also there are 75% exp boosters you can get on the 2nd floor of the shop area for 1 photon sphere each. And often there are exp boosts for certain or even all quests.

Ontop of that we get a lot of good stuff for logging in now, among this 15,000 exp tickets.

Once you are 5 lvls below the threshhold, Koffie will tell get a co for a new difficulty or the stupid lvl cap and it's best to do these early.
You also get notified of X NPC getting new cos when you unlock a new area or difficulty, check them out.

One more thing, at lvl 20 you can get a support partner. The main use is to send it out gathering items for the collection cos for your.
The more you send it out, the more exp it gains (there's a guide in the walkthrough section) up to giving it 10 orders at once.
This really helps with exp and money, especially for the daily collect x/99 orders.

In the shop area you also got Franka who wants you to collect enemy parts and Kressida who has some clear X quest cos which you need to beat so she gives you big exp collect y cos.

As for gear, just browse the player shop for cheap stuff with high stats, a lot of stuff that's great early on is worthless later on and really cheap in the shop.

More info, including a list of client orders and where to get them:
http://pso2.cirnopedia.info/

Vintasticvin
Nov 12, 2015, 11:55 AM
Brother Bolmack, join us, ship 2 is waiting for you also #CASTsupremacy

Bolmack
Nov 12, 2015, 12:44 PM
Damn thanks a lot of information! C: im really happy to see the comunity is big.

Right now im just having a couple troubles installing the game but i hope i can solve it soon.

Sandmind
Nov 12, 2015, 02:18 PM
Anyway, mag feeding is super easy now. You'll want pure atk, If you play ranger first make it 200 r-atk by feeding 7*-9* r-atk weapons (blue) and reducing dex with mushroom chairs (or any other 5* room item) from the My Room shop.
All you need to do is pay attention so dex doesn't level up, in this game the lower the stat, the more easily it grows so you will need to use Mushroom Chairs roughly as every 3rd item.

For s-atk and t-atk it's the same with their respective weapons and 4* / 6* room items.

Room item for lowering dex never were worth it cost wise for Tatk mag, trimate/shiftaride were barely less dex drop. And at some random time, Sega updated monomate (Satk mag) and dimate (Ratk mag) to match trimate. I found out randomly on one of my alt when I was hovering a monomate and saw an absurd potential dex drop....

KLMS1
Nov 12, 2015, 02:58 PM
The cheap but slow way to raise a Mag is indeed to give the little bugger Mates of the appropriate type to counter Dex gain and cheapass vendor weapons (when you don't have suitable loot handy obviously).

And if you now for some godforsaken reason *want* to raise Dex, nigh-universally held to be the single most useless stat in the game, PA/Tech disks are cheap...

Achelousaurus
Nov 12, 2015, 03:20 PM
Huh, ok.
Well the only real problem is s-atk cause you don't get around 3k sofas in the long run.

When feeding mates remember mates raise def so you you need to be careful and balance the def with the weapons.

Great Pan
Nov 12, 2015, 06:46 PM
Protip: Play HU. Best class EVAH!

Bolmack
Nov 12, 2015, 07:37 PM
Protip: Play HU. Best class EVAH!

Why HU? as i said i played RAcast in the last games but can you tell me why you like HU plz?

IronKrone
Nov 12, 2015, 08:00 PM
Why HU? as i said i played RAcast in the last games but can you tell me why you like HU plz?

Probably it has good defense and health, plus several skills to help you survive.

But even if you don't want to play as Hu, it can't hurt to give it a try and level it. Hu is the most common subclass and is likely to be useful if you choose to play as something else.

Well, Ra/Hu is the most common build for Ra main so you'd need to level Hu anyways if you want to go down that path.

Achelousaurus
Nov 12, 2015, 08:17 PM
As I said, most people play a lot of classes, just switch and try other stuff sometimes and the only thing you really "need" to buy with AC to play all classes is a 2nd and 3rd mag but these are truly necessary either.

Also, once you unlocked subclasses you'll always have one (and need one) and it's a good idea to keep your main and subclass at roughly the same lvl.

As mentioned, RaHu is the best for ra weapons, while RaBr uses bow for op boss killing (not that RaHu cant'd do similar, ra is already op by itself).

You get 20% of the stats from your subclass and most of the skills from your build (except the one labeled with main class only) and you can also use the photon arts of the weapons your subclass can equip, but you cannot equip the weapons themselves by default.
But there are many weapons equipable by multiple classes. For example the flower bouquet rifle and Christmas tree sword are allclass weapons.

RaHu is a very good build that allows for high damage against bosses, launcher is a great mobbing weapon and Hunter has a number of great defensive skills you will have enough points for even after maxing the damage.
Just check the newest build thread in the guides section for the specifics.

TaigaUC
Nov 12, 2015, 08:21 PM
I'm sure everyone's already answered you already, but I'll just pipe in for fun:

It's not too late to start. It's the opposite, actually.
PSO2 has added a lot more stuff and they've removed a lot of the BS. As a result, levelling is much easier and less time-consuming.
It's one of those games where the longer you wait, old stuff will become obsolete and be replaced with new stuff.
As in, if you're not going to be playing much now, you can just wait for new strong items instead of grinding for the current ones.

I think the only stuff you miss out on from not being on 24/7 would be:
- Costumes, accessories, hairstyles, etc. They get rotated on the scratch, and prices rise until they get revived in usually 6-12+ months.
- Items from certain events, or for grinding towards strong weapons. Stuff like event Bingo can reward useful items.

Answering your questions:

1. The servers lags sometimes, especially during EQs, but is usually good. It doesn't often implode like it used to.

2. When JP people are sleeping, Ship 2 tends to be mostly empty. I assume that's the same for all the other ships, too.
But PSO2 is a game you can mostly solo. Also, people will log in just for Emregency Quests.
If you want to get into a good block, you usually need to do it an hour before the Emergency Quest actually starts.

3. Races and classes are separate in this game. You can pick a race you enjoy, level all the classes and then mix/match to your preference. Just be aware that you only get one free Mag per character.
If you want to perform optimally, you should generally have a pure damage mag for each attack stat (melee, ranged, tech). This also helps you equip better weapons more quickly.
Alternatively, you can make two characters for free, with one focusing on a certain type of attack (eg. melee) and another focusing on a different type (eg. ranged). We may get a free third slot for episode 4.

4. Casts have good decent starting stats for melee/ranged attack and defense.
You can customise their body, arms and legs, but previewing mixed parts is a pain, and those parts take up a few extra bag slots.
They also can't wear some regular costumes (but they are slowly adding Cast-wearable versions).
Casts can also customize various colors that other races can't. They can also hover instead of running (if you're wearing Cast parts, not regular costumes).

Out of the other races, Humans are pretty balanced, and Dumans have the highest attack but lowest defense. Numan has highest Tech attack, but low survivability.
But these are mostly minor differences. You can counter those weaknesses by affixing stats. In general, do not waste skill/Mag points on stuff you can get via affixing.

I guess it boils down to this:
If you like elves, Numan. If you like mechs, Cast. If you want high attack for any class and you're good at dodging/guarding, Duman.
If you want to be a normal human or all-around balanced, go Human.
If you want to wear a ton of nice outfits, make a female.

For classes, you can check out my class intro guide (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3246521) that kinda explains what to expect. It's a little outdated though.
You should generally give all the classes a bit of a try or watch videos of good players using them, before you decide what you want to main.
It might also depend on what happens to drop for you, eg. you're a Fighter and you want to Knuckles, but an uber Double Saber drops.

Some classes are also indispensable as subs to boost your main. Hunter is great all around, Ranger for boosting ranged, Braver for boosting damage to weak points, etc.
So you'll want to try and level those along with your main. Or if you prefer a specific weapon, you'll need to level the class that uses that weapon.

Also, read this thread (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230380) for info on how to level quickly.

Be warned that there's a 16+? level penalty for EXP (ie. if you are 54 and the enemy is 70 you only get 66% exp, and it becomes less if you're even lower).
If you feel you're not geared well or underlevel, you're better off playing at a difficulty lower than the highest you currently have access to.
For example, if you're 54, you're better off during Very Hard EQs instead of Super Hard (even though Super Hard is available at 50). You get more EXP, too.

Here's a copy paste of character build stuff from one of my previous posts:

This is roughly what I'm currently using for all classes.
Feel free to switch out points where you're absolutely certain you won't be using them (ie. Sword Gear if you never use Sword).

That old simulator link is outdated in a few places (ie. number of points required for Braver).
Just try to max out stuff that looks like it's maxed out.

With Techer Wand Melee and Braver Katana:
http://pso2-skill.pwnedgalaxy.net/skillcalc.php?10fbxImbxImbxImbxImbxImbxImbxImbxIm0 jdOdBdoIbi2dBeK8JksXI20000006dodAI2bndAbofJkrxHoIn dnIo00000fdBboIbIdIofgOcAfqKJkdKIn00000fdoIbid2OgX qoGAJkIeInI200008dBbniN2SGA2X8cKIk00000fdBdAidrBqo esqBsNIkfGAcAIn000006dBIo4NGAdF6sNHSJkdo00000jdoIb kIHnqBfrBeFrAfaKdoIb00000f

Techer caster subclass (might be incorrect, as I haven't looked at my casters' trees in a long while) and Braver Bow:
http://pso2-skill.pwnedgalaxy.net/skillcalc.php?10fbxImbxImbxImbxImbxImbxImbxImbxIm0 jdOdBdoIbi2dBeK8JksXI20000006dodAI2bndAbofJkrxHoIn dnIo00000fdBboIbIdIofgOcAfqKJkdKIn00000fdoIbid2OgX qoGAJkIeInI200008dBbniN2SGA2X8cKIk00000ioIncKIdIod nGAqBIxIkGAcAin000006dBIo4Ni2HsrFJkIkloI200000fdoI bkIHnqBfrBeFrAfaKdoIb00000f

Achelousaurus
Nov 12, 2015, 09:09 PM
Dewman's main feature are the horns and different colored eyes actually.
Well and that dewman females are the cutest :V

And one last thing: try to login in every day, even if you exit 5 seconds later. The login rewards are really good.

Bolmack
Nov 12, 2015, 09:14 PM
More than i excpected, Thank you very much guy i already got the game fully installed and whit the english patch already made a Ranger female, cause i cant decide wich class to play i made a human to make her flexible for any choice xD.

I hope we met in the game thanks to every1.

TaigaUC
Nov 12, 2015, 09:32 PM
Oh yeah, one more thing... Duman and Cast faces are shaded differently (ie. less affected by shadows). Duman moreso.
Their skin colors are also different from Humans and Numans.
I think Numan faces are also shaded slightly differently from Human faces.
Also, Cast faces change shape slightly when wearing either costumes or parts.

I've no idea if those tiny details matter to you, but I've found that they've mattered to me.

If you want to delete your character, I think there's a 24 hour timer before actual deletion?
So if you want to experiment, you may want to make a separate account just for testing.