PDA

View Full Version : JP PSO2 Tweaker trans-am raping cpu on story patch

Kamijou Touma
Nov 30, 2015, 06:07 AM
I now see 80%-100% cpu usage and trans-am being slow as hell. Whats going on? The story patch used to download smoothly with less than 20% cpu usage.

landman
Nov 30, 2015, 06:16 AM
Compared to when? to before trans-am? (= downloading 3 Gb), or compared to recent updates? I haven't noticed any isues, but I'm usually doing other things while installing the story patch.

Masu
Nov 30, 2015, 06:22 AM
Huh? Are you talking about when tweaker is applying the patch?
Since latest tweaker update I had to remove story patch so it isn't curently running for me...still with all previous version it was around 80-100% usage with a desktop core i5 (quad core).

My 2 cents:
PSO2 archive format is most probably compressed which would explain intensive usage . 7zip at ultra setting is also doing an extensive use of processor though it's muti-threaded...

Edit: The 80-100% peak is only during 1 or 2 seconds once in a while btw (every 10/15 seconds I would say). Otherwise it's going up and down from 30-70%.

Kamijou Touma
Nov 30, 2015, 08:12 AM
I had an 80%-100% peak the entire time it was downloading the patch through trans-am o.o

Cyber Meteor
Nov 30, 2015, 10:33 AM
On my end i tend to notice some slowdown on my internet when i'm getting the story patch through Tweaker, sometimes it lasts the whole download duration sometimes it disappears quickly :-? About CPU usage, i never looked into that so i don't know if i was at 80-100% like you but it's very likely since i got those slowdowns

seilent
Nov 30, 2015, 11:14 AM
trans-am is not downloading process, it's a patching process that includes unpacking and repacking the data, that's why it uses a lot CPU usage. It's normal
iirc it's implemented so people don't have to download massive size story patch, that saves user and server bandwidth ~

Variant
Nov 30, 2015, 12:59 PM
It reduces the patch size from like several gigs to like several MB (like 5 IIRC) which is all the story patch itself ends up being (instead of downloading the full archives themselves, it's just patching the text in).

So pick your poison. I prefer new method because my machine isn't a toaster.

jooozek
Nov 30, 2015, 01:30 PM
muh cpu cycles https://static-cdn.jtvnw.net/emoticons/v1/22639/1.0