PDA

View Full Version : The Music of Phantasy Star Online 2 - Technical Information and Demonstration

PrinceBrightstar
Dec 27, 2015, 11:23 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Rw2buB0tHg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhO9krauaYE

Some of you may remember I put out something like this a while back. Rather than necro that thread I've decided to start a new one since this should be considered the complete version. For those wondering, no there is still no way to swap in new music.

wefwq
Dec 27, 2015, 11:40 AM
Damn son, all these cards on second videos.
Fast OSR Loser are the best.
I always liked when people going through all the problem to see how the game make thing works, PSO2 has indeed interesting stuff being used for it's audio system.
How composer going through all the problem to make music tracks for single boss battle are actually make me respect them more.

ZER0 DX
Dec 27, 2015, 03:10 PM
I came really close to replacing This is My Happiness during Halloween with Nostalgia in Solitude Part 2 from PSOBB, but the farthest I got was it playing in the game but overlaying it with really loud static too. Gave up after hours trying to fix it and just did a swap with other Jukebox tracks instead.

Kairi_Li
Dec 27, 2015, 03:37 PM
This is a excellent analysis of the music system in PSO2!

I am gonna share it with my PSO2 friends and video game music fans! Awesome work!

Zanverse
Dec 27, 2015, 03:44 PM
I've always been in love with PSO2's music, that's why, when new updates come out, I always look forward to the BGMs. Awesome video!

SakuRei
Dec 27, 2015, 03:51 PM
Hoh! So the beats and rhythm are separated along the vid huh... Cool. @PrinceBrightstar Can you also do with the Resonant Defense A.I.S one? I wanna to get the beat parts when you summon the A.I.S.

untrustful
Dec 27, 2015, 04:09 PM
There's totally a way to swap in music, but swapping it messes up other areas. Case in point, someone put up a file here a long time ago that had the darker nest music in floating continent, but this had the side effect of replacing forest music with dark falz elder.

PrinceBrightstar
Dec 27, 2015, 04:10 PM
Right, i'm talking about importing brand new music, not swapping files. We've known that works to some degree.

untrustful
Dec 27, 2015, 04:13 PM
Oh, well yeah. I guess people would just have to mute music ingame and use a music player.

WAIT WHAT ABOUT THE MUSIC PLAYER IN MY ROOM?

sesiom000
Dec 27, 2015, 04:34 PM
The Music of Phantasy Star Online 2 - Part 1 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Rw2buB0tHg)

The Music of Phantasy Star Online 2 - Part 2 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhO9krauaYE)

Some of you may remember I put out something like this a while back. Rather than necro that thread I've decided to start a new one since this should be considered the complete version. For those wondering, no there is still no way to swap in new music.

Great analysis man! Very informative thanks for sharing with the fans!! :-D

Agitated_AT
Dec 27, 2015, 05:23 PM
Whats a bit too bad is that you dont hear the calm music often because of the infinite respawns, in contrast to the first game where you'd have calmer moments more often, also sometimes because you'd find yourself going the wrong way and having to backtrack and such.

Ezodagrom
Dec 27, 2015, 06:45 PM
Whats a bit too bad is that you dont hear the calm music often because of the infinite respawns, in contrast to the first game where you'd have calmer moments more often, also sometimes because you'd find yourself going the wrong way and having to backtrack and such.
Well, there's advance quests I guess, those are single party quests that don't have respawning enemies, but due to how pso2 is a faster paced game than pso1, the moments of calm music are still brief.

Agitated_AT
Dec 28, 2015, 12:41 PM
Well, there's advance quests I guess, those are single party quests that don't have respawning enemies, but due to how pso2 is a faster paced game than pso1, the moments of calm music are still brief.True. Running through the big rooms and halls is much slower. Good to see you btw

PrinceBrightstar
Dec 30, 2015, 10:04 PM
Untrustful - It is possible to swap music that doesn't reside in a cpk container file. The large majority of these are tracks are music disks that can be played in the jukebox. AIDA and myself in separate efforts a couple of years back created threads to try to track down what each of these tracks were. The idea to do the swap is simply to copy the file name you want and overwrite the corresponding file. The list is a bit out of date. I'll see if I can maybe get a more recent list together but here's the threads AIDA and I put together. I do want to note that some of the technical information I talk about in my thread is in the videos above, but some of the other details are now out of date. (Particularly the file naming conventions, we no longer get details like the tempo and such.)

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214529

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214833

Like I said these are old threads so please don't go bumping them at this point.

Traumin
Jan 2, 2016, 11:59 AM
This is the coolest shit I've ever seen...And props for picking Loser's theme!

untrustful
Jan 2, 2016, 02:55 PM
Last question, is it conceivable for someone to come up with a mod that allows a player to summon the jukebox menu while out in the field?

NoobSpectre
Jan 3, 2016, 08:03 PM
hmm this reminds me of chging bgm in sdgo.

though for that case its quite simple case, you just rename your preferred bgm to those bgm and match it. (like abc.mp3 for some place, you find your own mp3 and renamed to abc.mp3 and put in that folder)

The drawback is you have to know which one is which, possibly backup a old folder of original bgms.

Angelo
Jan 4, 2016, 08:59 AM
The 'Fast' lines are straight up IDOLA - have the immortal feather.

Guess it's time to redownload PSO2...

KazukiQZ
Jan 4, 2016, 10:52 AM
^And that BGM is in the game since last year (EP2 big boss EQ, Dark Falz Loser) =w=

PrinceBrightstar
Jan 6, 2016, 11:11 PM
Last question, is it conceivable for someone to come up with a mod that allows a player to summon the jukebox menu while out in the field?

I can't say for certain if that is possible. I know someone was working on trying to build a way to swap the music with an external program but I think interest in that died off.

I don't know what goes on in the packets of the game but if doing this by calling the jukebox in any way were to send a signal that a certain track was playing in an area it shouldn't be, I'd hate to think what Sega might do.