PDA

View Full Version : Native PS4 Controller Support! + Calibration Guide

kurokyosuke
Feb 1, 2016, 03:01 PM
With the release of Episode 4 and the coming PS4 release, Sega has enabled native Dualshock 4 support in PSO2 on PC, meaning you no longer have to use InputMapper/DS4Tool/etc. in order to play! However, those who have already attempted to use the controller without these drivers may have noticed that there's something quite wrong with controller calibration. Whenever you attempt to calibrate the analog sticks in-game, you'll notice that the calibration dot is already at the top without even touching anything.

The reason for this is because of the way that the computer reads the analog for the L2 and R2 triggers:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/93278919/analog.png

See 'X Rotation' and 'Y Rotation' here? Those are for L2 and R2, respectively (they're also Buttons 7 and 8, for some reason). Since those bars aren't centered like 'Z Axis' and 'Z Rotation', PSO2 is reading them as if the analog is being pushed in that direction, when that's just their default position.

Before calibrating, skip through the in-game calibration wizard until you get to the button assignment page, and make sure all of the buttons are mapped properly (they should be different from the XB360 controller setup that InputMapper gives). If you manage to calibrate it properly, you don't want to hit the wrong button by accident and cancel instead of save, after all.

During calibration, hold down both L2 and R2 just halfway so that the dot stays in the center. Pushing it too hard or not hard enough will move the dot away from the center, which will screw with calibration. You can start calibrating the analog sticks once you're sure the dot is in the center and steady. When you get to the actual trigger section, keep holding down the triggers halfway, and just hit Circle to skip calibration for triggers. As I mentioned earlier, L2 and R2 are assigned as both buttons and analog triggers, so you can just assign L2 and R2 as buttons, then you're set! Since there seems to be no real reason for L2 and R2 to be analog, there's no reason to go through the trouble. Due to the nature of this calibration, half of the trigger wouldn't register as a button press anyway.

If anyone knows any workarounds to make this work unnecessary, please feel free to share.

kurokyosuke
Feb 1, 2016, 03:56 PM
Are you wired, or using Bluetooth?
I'm using my DS4 via Bluetooth dongle and it works just fine by itself.

kurokyosuke
Feb 1, 2016, 04:29 PM
I assume you already attempted connecting via Bluetooth, then leaving it plugged in afterwards? I actually only occasionally unplug my DS4, now that I think about it. I don't even know exactly how much battery life mine has, but I know it's at least 4 hours. I should run a test at some point.