PDA

View Full Version : Phantasy Star Convention Kick Starter

Enderhero
Feb 2, 2016, 11:14 PM
Check out The phantasy Star Convention Kick starter kickstarter.com/projects/1310829251/phantasy-star-con

pkemr4
Feb 2, 2016, 11:20 PM
No
5char

Selphea
Feb 2, 2016, 11:22 PM
Try getting someone well-known on board or at least tell us a bit more about your cred as an events organizer. Someone with an account barely a month old, only 8 posts and writes a one-liner to link to KS just isn't very compelling.

ArcaneTechs
Feb 2, 2016, 11:35 PM
Unless you can get Sakai and the gang to attend the con, it's a big fat no for me. (and even if you did I still wouldn't donate ほほほ!)

wefwq
Feb 2, 2016, 11:47 PM
kickstarter hahahahahaha

Enderhero
Feb 2, 2016, 11:50 PM
Most of the questions that are being asked are answered in the website and kick starter itself. I am actually a well known MMO player form the Blizzard scene and currently playing OverWatch at a professional level. As there is little to no scene for phantasy star in the recent years this is an attempt to get a feel for interest, thus it being a crowd source project, with the potential backing of gaming organizations I am affiliated with. Any more questions can be answered through the website by the rest of the team. thanks!

Flaoc
Feb 3, 2016, 12:04 AM
still loling at the idea of a kickstarter but this guy seems legit

http://wiki.teamliquid.net/overwatch/Enderhero same guy it seems (idk)

Nanaha
Feb 3, 2016, 12:06 AM
Legit and earnest, perhaps. I'm really don't think our community can bring up 10k though, even if there's other groups helping out.

*edit: Rather, I would have brought it up with the site owner and have an article posted on frontpage, or sticky made.

ArcaneTechs
Feb 3, 2016, 12:06 AM
Most of the questions that are being asked are answered in the website and kick starter itself. I am actually a well known MMO player form the Blizzard scene and currently playing OverWatch at a professional level. As there is little to no scene for phantasy star in the recent years this is an attempt to get a feel for interest, thus it being a crowd source project, with the potential backing of gaming organizations I am affiliated with. Any more questions can be answered through the website by the rest of the team. thanks!
Now had you mentioned this before (along with you know, links to history from you or something like someone provided) then we wouldn't come off this way. A background provided is always welcome via first post

wefwq
Feb 3, 2016, 12:15 AM
Is it even possible to do such thing though? won't sega send boogeyman to halt entire event because it's against their will?

ArcaneTechs
Feb 3, 2016, 12:21 AM
Is it even possible to do such thing though? won't sega send boogeyman to halt entire event because it's against their will?
Ya I mean, it's against the ToS to even play but you know, it'll be shut down pretty quick once Sega gets wind of it.

Sp-24
Feb 3, 2016, 12:22 AM
Scientific analysis of Phantasy Star
So, another rant about how soundtrack and atmosphere made PSO so popular and how the sequels failed to recapture it?

kurokyosuke
Feb 3, 2016, 12:29 AM
Wouldn't be willing to spend $100 for a ticket. Not even the biggest 3~4-day Anime conventions cost that much.
EDIT: Oh, that perk includes goods. Though I doubt you'd be able to this one to work out if you're handing out PSO2-related items, given the whole "overseas players aren't allowed to play" thing.

There are PS fan events in Japan and they don't do anything about it. Why would it be any different here?

Ya I mean, it's against the ToS to even play but you know, it'll be shut down pretty quick once Sega gets wind of it.

It's a "Phantasy Star" event, not a "Phantasy Star Online 2" event.

Tunga
Feb 3, 2016, 12:30 AM

Sega's boogeyman will hand out bans too all the baka ganjins like there's no tomorrow :wacko:

ArcaneTechs
Feb 3, 2016, 12:37 AM
Wouldn't be willing to spend $100 for a ticket. Not even the biggest 3~4-day Anime conventions cost that much.

There are PS fan events in Japan and they don't do anything about it. Why would it be any different here?

It's a "Phantasy Star" event, not a "Phantasy Star Online 2" event.
Even then you can nostalgia about it anytime on forums but you know and I know the biggest thing everyone is gonna want to know is why and when this game is ever going to hit the West. PSO2 will be basically the main talk etc I mean sure you can host local Ep1/2 splitscreen plays but I mean that can only do so much.

wefwq
Feb 3, 2016, 12:41 AM
Unless the organizer receive permit from SEGA, they still have chance to get a bottle of wine and get smashed in the head with it.
Japanese company can be very anal about their stuff, also it takes me back to the certain unofficial pokemon event or what's that, get sued.

Selphea
Feb 3, 2016, 12:42 AM
Shouldn't be a lot of trouble to poke RubyEclipse on Twitter about it and get a confirm or something.

kurokyosuke
Feb 3, 2016, 12:42 AM
Even then you can nostalgia about it anytime on forums but you know and I know the biggest thing everyone is gonna want to know is why and when this game is ever going to hit the West. PSO2 will be basically the main talk etc I mean sure you can host local Ep1/2 splitscreen plays but I mean that can only do so much.

PSO2 may be the in-thing for Japan and the PSOW community, but you have to remember that most fans of the Phantasy Star series didn't start with PSO2. Not to mention there are people who hate PSO2 and are rather adamant about the original iteration. Actual fans of the game will have more to talk about than just PSO2. That being said, it probably wouldn't last more than one event without PSO2.

wefwq
Feb 3, 2016, 12:44 AM
PSO2 may be the in-thing for Japan and the PSOW community, but you have to remember that most fans of the Phantasy Star series didn't start with PSO2. Not to mention there are people who hate PSO2 and are rather adamant about the original iteration. Actual fans of the game will have more to talk about than just PSO2. That being said, it probably wouldn't last more than one event without PSO2.
Except there's nothing new to talk about anymore?
Even the latest, PS Nova didn't make it out from Nipponland.

kurokyosuke
Feb 3, 2016, 12:45 AM
Except there's nothing new to talk about anymore?
Even the latest, PS Nova didn't make it out from Nipponland.

Hence "it probably wouldn't last more than one event".

ArcaneTechs
Feb 3, 2016, 12:57 AM
Hence "it probably wouldn't last more than one event".
Last more than one afternoon if I had to say

I don't see this happening still, last PS game's were PSP2 and Zero, theres not much to go from there aside I guess PSU memories (shudders)

Sp-24
Feb 3, 2016, 12:59 AM
Might dedicate a panel to PSO private servers if we're going for that C&D. Also that PSU server in the works.

landman
Feb 3, 2016, 05:24 AM
I'm a Phantasy Star fanboy, of all its games, and I'm not giving money to anyone to organize an event, ever.

lunamaniac
Feb 3, 2016, 05:34 AM

I think it may be drawing a line to ask for money through kickstarter for it. If Sega does notice, to them it just looks like you're asking for $10,000 in their name. If you did organize such a thing off your own bat - I think they would be fine with it. They can do nothing about it, and it's free advertising.

Also, you're using some of their official 15th anniversary artwork which could be taken to imply you're somehow involved. "Unofficial" is nowhere on the page. It should really be in the title. You do suggest that it's unofficial in other words, but I think if you want to improve your chances you should expand on your explanations and make a definitive disclaimer.

You also offer PSO2 T-shirts as part of the rewards. You haven't stated that these are official shirts you've bought yourself - which I doubt they are, but unless they use art that Sega themselves did not create then you're stealing their official artwork and selling it. Other kickstarters have been taken down for this specific reason.

For this to be as legitimate as possible, you either need Sega's permission to use and monetize their own artwork (unlikely) or use artwork created by fans. And you also need to be very explicit in being unofficial.

Putting "WE ARE IN NO WAY AFFILIATED WITH OR SUPPORTED BY SEGA" at the very top of the page right under the " Unofficial Phantasy Star Con" title and the fan created logo and artwork would make you more legitimate.

You'd also want a lot more writing. You don't say how you will spend the $10,000. You also don't say what you'd do with potential profits.

I would take down this KS, do a lot of research and use artwork that Sega don't own - and make it clear you don't intend to sell or reward t-shirts with said artwork on it.

steverowland
Feb 3, 2016, 06:46 AM
Well the Japanese anime and game parties and small conventions usually ask for money when you want to enter so this would technically be like a preorder of that and should be fine, although I don't think I've seen one that goes over like 2000yen (~$16) but then again I take this is in the US and no idea how much a rent for a venue there would go for etc so maybe the $100 for a ticket is reasonable price, it just seems too high to me. I mean you can get a ticket to blizzcon for full 2 days for 200 and its a huge event with the actual developers as well as famous musical performance (like Metallica) at the end and a tons of trinkets and loot. So 100 for just some pso meet and greet with some panels seems very steep, especially since there would be nobody official to even get some first hand info about the game development or future updates or anything.

On top of that all other things lunamaniac mentioned I would agree with too.

Zephireis
Feb 3, 2016, 06:53 AM
Oh cool, then I could jizz on all of you irl

SilkaN
Feb 3, 2016, 07:25 AM
Oh cool, then I could jizz on all of you irl

You certainly could, Zeph.

Zysets
Feb 3, 2016, 03:40 PM
It's a neat idea, like honestly I would like there to be something like this, but there's nothing to actually do. Plus the legal issues people have brought up are pretty valid.

Does anyone remember tumblr's Dashcon fiasco? I don't mean to talk down on this, but I get a similar feeling. It's something that just wouldn't work out unless PS was more active in the west, and if it had some proper backing.

Ryziou
Feb 3, 2016, 03:47 PM
Should've linked this too

http://www.pscon.org/

Agastya
Feb 3, 2016, 04:51 PM
It's a neat idea, like honestly I would like there to be something like this, but there's nothing to actually do. Plus the legal issues people have brought up are pretty valid.

Does anyone remember tumblr's Dashcon fiasco? I don't mean to talk down on this, but I get a similar feeling. It's something that just wouldn't work out unless PS was more active in the west, and if it had some proper backing.
but if you back pscon you'll get an extra hour in the red box pit

EvilMag
Feb 3, 2016, 05:03 PM

Any stones involved?

Zysets
Feb 3, 2016, 06:01 PM
It's like a real life 250% Rare Drop bonus!

Agastya
Feb 3, 2016, 07:18 PM
It's like a real life 250% Rare Drop bonus!
no its a 300% rdr because you paid for it

Zysets
Feb 3, 2016, 07:29 PM
no its a 300% rdr because you paid for it
This is going to give me pains

jooozek
Feb 3, 2016, 07:47 PM
with all the phantasy star releases in west over past few years this con is what we really need :wacko: does anyone want to buy some snake oil? :wacko:

Enderhero
Feb 3, 2016, 09:46 PM
Sorry guys that i haven't been around to answer questions. As a early feeler we reached out to the Indianapolis convention center with some of the telecommunication connections I have in Indianapolis to gauge the price. The kick starter reflects most of this and the prices of obtaining vendor licenses for the convention.Will 10,00 be raised solely by communities in forums? no, but it was done in an effort to see interest. At the end of the day this is a project that would lose money for the people putting it together, which we knew, but may still be a fun experience. Most of the team trying this out has connections in the gaming industry and ways to make this a reality if enough interest is garnered. I am by no means am the head of this organization but I am someone who is close to the team and well known in certain corners of gaming, so I thought I would try to help spread the word. Hope this helps clear anything up. you can also send questions/concerns to the team directly at the kick starter then at the website at PScon.org THANKS!^^

Sp-24
Feb 3, 2016, 11:30 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Z8DdeSU.png

Something seems off here.

lostinseganet
Feb 4, 2016, 12:54 AM
Sega shunns everyone is pso 2 that is not japan. I don't think a con should even be considered until that changes. So I would not donate or suggest someone else too. Sega needs to treat the community that is not japan better.

Zysets
Feb 4, 2016, 01:55 AM
Sega shunns everyone is pso 2 that is not japan. I don't think a con should even be considered until that changes. So I would not donate or suggest someone else too. Sega needs to treat the community that is not japan better.

I'm not to knowledgeable with the business side of things, but wouldn't the issue mostly be with Sega of America? I always assumed SoA was in charge of localizing these things in American territories (and Sega Europe for European territories). I imagine SoJ was fine with the game expanding to the west since localization was obviously happening a few years ago, but for whatever reason it stopped.

akitalevia
Feb 4, 2016, 02:04 AM
Bring some laptops and vitas while showing off that its playable by doing some EQs?

Ce'Nedra
Feb 4, 2016, 02:51 AM
Bring some laptops and vitas while showing off that its playable by doing some EQs?

Yes cause failing a TD4 is exactly what the convention needs :3

landman
Feb 4, 2016, 03:48 AM
Aww funding cancelled, I was hopping to see that 0 in the website for the whole month, I'll guess all Phantasy Star fans that heard about this also thought this was fishy in some way?

Edit: ok I'll add, bad choice of words, my true feeling was "expecting", not "hopping", I didn't expect anything, so I was expecting it to be a failure, for many reasons others have posted after this.

Keilyn
Feb 4, 2016, 03:57 AM
I find that such a convention would be insanely boring to begin with....
...I rather do more of what was practiced on PSU, which was to organize importers to appear at least a day or two and exchange cards at some location...

In fact something that would really go far if used the right way is to simply declare a block where people in this forumboard actually play together. I don't mean like the whole BLOCK 20 or BLOCK 01 of the past, but a block declared that one can simply hang out in there and simply know it is a person that is subscribed to this forum....along with a type of tag (inserted in comments...like a username or something one is known by simply to be recognized...

...its what tends to be practiced in Trigger Events too just to know who is who in a forumboard...

From what I see right now...
Reddit and PSO-W are extremely disorganized and scattered across the game with no real sense of unity or effort towards having a real online community in-game.

wefwq
Feb 4, 2016, 05:06 AM
We still play together on organized GGG trigger though :wacko:
And by declaring a block as special community block will lead into the third coming of B020 prophecy, why would you want to destroy yet another innocent block for that? EN block always goes to B001.
People don't need designated block in order to interact with each other.

Macmaxi
Feb 4, 2016, 08:17 AM
well i was told ship 2 has all the english players so i went to ship 4

Enderhero
Feb 4, 2016, 01:21 PM
Aww funding cancelled, I was hopping to see that 0 in the website for the whole month, I'll guess all Phantasy Star fans that heard about this also thought this was fishy in some way?

This is the type of respondse that caused the kickstarer to go down. Something that was done in effort to garner a real community to this game is met with disdain. Saying you hope to see a event about a game you like or at least spend your time on gets no funding is the reason sega is reluctant to release anything stateside. I think i can safely say that no one on this thread has deep ties to the gaming community or is a sponsered player because the general attitude is that you guys would only donate if the top executivea at sega were to commit. Thats insane. most of the people bash people on the team who translates this game and when a chance is given to actually do something,50 cents to show interest, its immediate said "SCAM". Ill tell you now that no one who was affliated with the PScon expected to make any money, actually we all expected to LOSE money. What wasnt known is the 10 grand was covered, the kick starter was said multiple times to be a feeler for interest. We were warned about the phantasy star community.....guess that wasnt exaggerated. I would hate to see this community in a real game

Zysets
Feb 4, 2016, 01:32 PM
I don't necessarily think this was fishy, just not something that's possible with success, it would be too small, there's not much to do, there probably wouldn't be anyone coming that's worth going for.

I would love meet ups, but I wouldn't fly all the way there from California to just play with others like that when I could just do it over the internet as I always have. There's just no reason for a con right now, It's not your fault.

If you want my input, I think fan art collabs and other things that can be done over the internet and don't cost much to put together are a great way to start and build community. Hell, maybe it'll be possible to make fanzines like many Japanese fan bases do, that would be a better starting point that could eventually lead up to the convention idea if you can somehow convince enough people to be a part of it through these smaller events.

In short, what I'm saying is that this community isn't in a position to successfully pull of any sort of full scale convention, you should start with smaller community events if you really do want to attract interest and build up to something that big.

jooozek
Feb 4, 2016, 01:38 PM
I would hate to see this community in a real game

:wacko:

EvilMag
Feb 4, 2016, 02:06 PM
This is the type of respondse that caused the kickstarer to go down. Something that was done in effort to garner a real community to this game is met with disdain. Saying you hope to see a event about a game you like or at least spend your time on gets no funding is the reason sega is reluctant to release anything stateside. I think i can safely say that no one on this thread has deep ties to the gaming community or is a sponsered player because the general attitude is that you guys would only donate if the top executivea at sega were to commit. Thats insane. most of the people bash people on the team who translates this game and when a chance is given to actually do something,50 cents to show interest, its immediate said "SCAM". Ill tell you now that no one who was affliated with the PScon expected to make any money, actually we all expected to LOSE money. What wasnt known is the 10 grand was covered, the kick starter was said multiple times to be a feeler for interest. We were warned about the phantasy star community.....guess that wasnt exaggerated. I would hate to see this community in a real game
Honestly, a big convention with lots of money involved would not work well here mostly due to how niche the Phantasy star Community is here. My only advice I could give if you wanna try to see if you gauge more interest is go to anime conventions and maybe host some Phantasy Star Panels. The PSO2 Anime could very well get more people into it. Who knows.

Don't worry about people here witch hunting it and calling it a scam. Super Smash Con had to deal with the same shit when it was first announced. then most figureheads in the smash community got involved with the con and people started changing your minds about it. It does suck that you're canning it. I'd be totally down for a PS con in all seriousness.

And yes the PSOW community is fucking awful.

Shirai
Feb 4, 2016, 02:11 PM
A convention with this community would've been amazing.

Zysets
Feb 4, 2016, 02:13 PM
Honestly, a big convention with lots of money involved would not work well here mostly due to how niche the Phantasy star Community is here. My only advice I could give if you wanna try to see if you gauge more interest is go to anime conventions and maybe host some Phantasy Star Panels.

This is exactly what I mean, you can't just jump into a con for this community when we're not exactly the most organized or large community. You have to build it up with online events, smaller meet ups, etc. to build interest and bring the community together enough for a convention to eventually be successful. I love the idea, but you can't just jump into it.

Plus no one said to get the executives or anyone that high up to approve, you can just shoot Ruby Eclipse a message or email just to say "Hey we plan on doing this thing, would you like to get involved, or at least make sure it's okay?". He is Sega's community manager, no harm done.

Raujinn
Feb 4, 2016, 02:17 PM
And yes the Phantasy Star community is fucking awful.

ftfy

Sadly its a shithole of a community with a fraction of the drama it used to have, so it's not even bad entertaining it's just mostly bad.

EvilMag
Feb 4, 2016, 02:18 PM
This is exactly what I mean, you can't just jump into a con for this community when we're not exactly the most organized or large community. You have to build it up with online events, smaller meet ups, etc. to build interest and bring the community together enough for a convention to eventually be successful. I love the idea, but you can't just jump into it.

Plus no one said to get the executives or anyone that high up to approve, you can just shoot Ruby Eclipse a message or email just to say "Hey we plan on doing this thing, would you like to get involved, or at least make sure it's okay?". He is Sega's community manager, no harm done.
Well to be fair Smash Con was able to run without Nintendo's blessing about it. I don't even think they sponsor that event.

Zysets
Feb 4, 2016, 02:19 PM
Well to be fair Smash Con was able to run without Nintendo's blessing about it. I don't even think they sponsor that event.

I'm not saying it's a requirement, but it could really help set this all up. I remember they had a Phantasy Star Zero meet up back when that came out stateside at SoA HQ, so I imagine it could only help to get some of Sega's community staff to get involved.

Raujinn
Feb 4, 2016, 02:23 PM
The OP's initial approach was clumsy as heck anyway. Even if the community were nicer I'd wager you'd get a similarly salty response if a guy comes out of basically nowhere and essentially goes "yo gimme money so we can do a thing [link]". It really isn't the best of introductions..

LegoRappy
Feb 4, 2016, 05:55 PM

Smash does have a much larger fan base tho... Its become really competitive.

The OP's initial approach was clumsy as heck anyway. Even if the community were nicer I'd wager you'd get a similarly salty response if a guy comes out of basically nowhere and essentially goes "yo gimme money so we can do a thing [link]". It really isn't the best of introductions..

Exactly 100% agree

WORST
Feb 7, 2016, 01:01 AM
Something that was done in effort to garner a real community to this game is met with disdain. Saying you hope to see a event about a game you like or at least spend your time on gets no funding is the reason sega is reluctant to release anything stateside. I think i can safely say that no one on this thread has deep ties to the gaming community or is a sponsered player because...

Pretty sure you said the main focus wasn't going to be PSO2, but now you say it was an effort towards the community of PSO2? Also, sponsored players? Ahhahaha. Sega doesn't care about us, nor does any other company for that matter. The second any PSO2 player gets any type of sponsorship is the day that it gets localized and shipped to the West.

lunamaniac
Feb 7, 2016, 06:06 AM

I think it's unfair to judge the whole English speaking community based on a selection of responses from this forum.

I'm not doubting your intentions either, but for how much money you were asking for you gave very little in the way of detailed specifics.

Some people responded bluntly, possibly unreasonably, but I think you can learn from this too without being bitter. I'm sure you could answer most of the important questions people were asking.

Not sure if you'll ever come back to read this, but maybe next time you could try getting to know the community a bit first and testing the waters by asking for people's opinions rather than dangling an admittedly uninformative and rushed kickstarter in front of them that they'd never heard of before.

Being proactive is good though. PSO actually needs more fans like you who would like to get up and do something - and I'm sure in the right scenario plenty of people from this forum might be prepared to help in organizing something like this in the future. You could have had someone with professional experience write the kickstarter and go over specifics with you and whoever else you're working with.

Regardless, should you ever read this - thank you. Even though I think it was rushed, I respect your attempt to get up and do something for a series you clearly care about.

Zorak000
Feb 7, 2016, 09:01 AM

Yeah, then turning around and talking trash at the end is really unprofessional, to say the least. I feel sorry for the blizzard community for having to deal with the likes of this on a regular basis

wefwq
Feb 7, 2016, 11:05 AM
wow that's very professional of you :-?