PDA

View Full Version : Free2Play model

twinspectre
Feb 23, 2016, 10:42 AM
as the title say, I want to know how the Free2Play model works in PSO 2.
are we forced to buy stuff with real money? or can I get thing by putting a lot of time and effort I can get things for free?

p.s Sorry for my bad bad English

AlphaBlob
Feb 23, 2016, 10:45 AM
You can buy almost everything in the player shop with meseta.

Zorafim
Feb 23, 2016, 10:49 AM
It doesn't provide much of an edge gameplay wise. Mostly, it gives you something to sell in-game for currency. Which, you can use to buy other items people have sold, or just keep it for yourself.
You can buy all these things by farming the currency yourself.

There are a few gameplay tweaks that you'll have to buy. Your MAG provides stat boosts, and you'll have to buy one for every stat you want (your strength mag won't help your magic classes much). Or you can use it to buy new skill trees, if there's a different form of your class you want to try (ice magic instead of fire is a good example).

twinspectre
You can buy almost everything in the player shop with meseta.

sorry, but I play on PS4 and the game starts the 25th Feb.

Do you mean ONLY with real money?

Qualia
You need premium to get 10/11/12* weapon passes and 10/11* unit passes so if anything, this game's really just pay for convenience.

Sizustar
Feb 23, 2016, 11:00 AM
sorry, but I play on PS4 and the game starts the 25th Feb.

Do you mean ONLY with real money?

Meseta is the ingame currency.

Ziel
Feb 23, 2016, 11:12 AM
Any extra Mags/Support partners (mags ok, but who buys extra partners anyway?) and Skill trees are cash only skill resets too unless you wait for sega to give skill tree resets, which happens only after they tweak any class.

"Premium" is a pay for features thing which lasts months (stackable) its features are:
-Lets you fit in the extra space in blocks (the second bar of how many people is in a block the "premium space") is only accesible if you rent premium.

-Comes with an extra storage (you can rent more with money, yes "rent" they´re timeli
mited, your stuff doesnt dissapear tho, just the ability to deposit there, you can still take stuff out).

-Allows access to "premium drinks" which aside of stat boosting could also give rare drop boosts (unknown % tho)

-The ability to trade in 10/11/12🌟 Weapons and 10/11🌟 units (armors) for passes which allow you to buy the same rarity stuff from a player shop (else you cant buy anything above 9🌟 which means you gotta farm your stuff).

-Double your list of acceptable client orders.

And of course anything and everything cosmetic (except some FUN Scratch accesories but lets face it the lineup its getting more and more scarce).

So money just cuts your farm, saves you time, lets you in blocks when peasants crowd it and makes you look cool, just like real life huh?

TehCubey
Feb 23, 2016, 11:57 AM
The F2P model works really well for the game actually. The only things that really matter and you can't get as a non-paying player are extra mags (you still get 1 for each of your characters for free) and extra skill trees/skill tree resets.

So you need to be careful with your mag point allocation and SP allocation. But other than that, I've spent years playing this game almost for free (bought a mag that I barely even use, and a few other convenience items that stopped being relevant a long time ago), I never felt inconvenienced because of it.

sesiom000
Feb 23, 2016, 12:09 PM
I play this game since ep1 got 2 characters and have everything i want including 13* weapons,cosmetic items,costumes,room items,emotes,appearance change coupons,skill reset passes etc for free never wasted 1 dollar on this game and you can also get 12* weapon passes from the ingame and its fairly easy to get a 13*weapon if you just participate on lvl80 Emergency Quests (Events).
Its the best free to play game out there and you got tons of inventory space and box space so you dont have to upgrade using real money like other games and you also get 1 appearance change coupon each month with the stamp system.
Only thing you need to be careful is basically the skill tree and specially the mag since they never give you another one but the rest you can get everything free as long as you have meseta.

jooozek
Feb 23, 2016, 12:23 PM
if you want to play a force you will be gimped like hell if you don't buy additional skill trees

Korima
Feb 23, 2016, 12:26 PM
I guess the budget for this game is so low because premium it isn't popular, the only thing that maybe I want from Premium is the premium space to join blocks because it is horrible when you arrive a minute later when a EQ is on but aside of that, I can't find a reason to buy things with real money.

In fact I will prefer this game to be "Pay Once" if that means more gameplay content.

ArcaneTechs
Feb 23, 2016, 12:33 PM
Premium not popular haha sure if your poor(or rather spend money elsewhere), outside AC scratches ppl still buy this. You hear its not popular from Block 01 or somethin?

Sp-24
Feb 23, 2016, 12:34 PM
As has already been mentioned, you will be very limited in your options of what to play as without buying additional MAGs and skill trees. 200 stat points that your MAG gives are very important, so won't be very effective playing as classes that don't benefit from different attack types. You will also have to decide which of your classes will be your main and your sub before spending any points. In case with Force and Techer, this also means choosing one of the elements each for the gigantic modifiers their elemental skills provide (more important than ever now that advanced techniques have been added). For Braver and Bouncer, you must choose between two of their very different weapons that 99.5% of their trees provide main class skills for.

Korima
Feb 23, 2016, 12:37 PM
Well I don't mean it isn't popular exactly, I mean it doesn't give enough money to Sega to make more things.

Or maybe Sega spend that money elsewhere.

sesiom000
Feb 23, 2016, 12:37 PM
I guess the budget for this game is so low because premium it isn't popular.

Yea thats why it wouldn't work on the West but in Japan they pay for everything including scratch and they even buy the deluxe editions that come out every here and have the game already.

Well I don't mean it isn't popular exactly, I mean it doesn't give enough money to Sega to make more things.

More things?
This game has gameplay content every 2 weeks and also scratch content and many times collaboration with popular franchises LOL.

ArcaneTechs
Feb 23, 2016, 12:40 PM

Sega has the money to create more content, its what theyre doing thats stretching out the games lifespan at a very drip feed pace. If you played past games or other mmo's in general you know whatdrip feed content is by now. The games budget isnt low either for what they can do

Next time dont make it sound like ppl dont buy prem because unpopular

Korima
Feb 23, 2016, 12:43 PM
Yea thats why it wouldn't work on the West but in Japan they pay for everything including scratch and they even buy the deluxe editions that come out every here and have the game already.

More things?
This game has gameplay content every 2 weeks and also scratch content and many times collaboration with popular franchises LOL.

More Weapons every two weeks?
More PA every two weeks?
More Maps Every two weeks?
More enemies Every two weeks?
More Emergency Quests every two weeks?

Is that so, maybe I'm playing other game.

Anduril
Feb 23, 2016, 12:49 PM
For Braver and Bouncer, you must choose between two of their very different weapons that 99.5% of their trees provide main class skills for.
Bouncer Main (specing for 13* weapons, so you save points from not needing the Stance Critical skills, Critical Field, and Craft Mastery) can easily do both JBs and DBs since it has access to Switch Strike [Jet Boots Strike], which allows JBs to use S-ATK; at that point Techs are only used to switch element on the JBs.

Sizustar
Feb 23, 2016, 12:58 PM

Erm, PSO2 is one of Sega's current most popular(Wins gaming award in Japan) and profitable, the other being phone mobage, so your fact is...based on...not reality?

sesiom000
Feb 23, 2016, 12:58 PM
More Weapons every two weeks?
More PA every two weeks?
More Maps Every two weeks?
More enemies Every two weeks?
More Emergency Quests every two weeks?

Is that so, maybe I'm playing other game.

More Weapons every two weeks? Yes.
More PA every two weeks? No but no game in the world has new skills every 2 weeks.
More Maps Every two weeks? Yes.
More enemies Every two weeks? Depends if more enemies you mean new ones.
More Emergency Quests every two weeks? Yes.

So yea you're probably playing another game mate.

Yden
Feb 23, 2016, 01:15 PM
Truthfully I find the best thing to spend money on for a character you plan on keeping is the inventory upgrade passes. Going from 50>100 slots is a huge life changer.

Korima
Feb 23, 2016, 01:22 PM
More Weapons every two weeks? Yes.
More PA every two weeks? No but no game in the world has new skills every 2 weeks.
More Maps Every two weeks? Yes.
More enemies Every two weeks? Depends if more enemies you mean new ones.
More Emergency Quests every two weeks? Yes.

So yea you're probably playing another game mate.

Huh? Where are the new weapons of two weeks ago?

That's right no game in the world has new skills every 2 weeks but what about 6 months?
New Maps? Where is the new Map? Latest Map was Tokyo
Yes I mean new enemies.
New EQ weeks? Where? Using a an old map with old enemies isn't a new EQ, I will accept a thing like if they they reused a tower defense map, they put snow on it and this time you have to destroy the towers but no a old cave map running in circles.

Okay and for the other thing.

Premium is popular, Okay.
Premium and the game gives money to Sega

Then where is the content? or most importantly, What Sega is doing with the money? Because they aren't working on Shenmue III.

Sizustar
Feb 23, 2016, 01:35 PM

That's right no game in the world has new skills every 2 weeks but what about 6 months?
New Maps? Where is the new Map? Latest Map was Tokyo
Yes I mean new enemies.
New EQ weeks? Where? Using a an old map with old enemies isn't a new EQ, I will accept a thing like if they they reused a tower defense map, they put snow on it and this time you have to destroy the towers but no a old cave map running in circles.

Okay and for the other thing.

Premium is popular, Okay.
Premium and the game gives money to Sega

Then where is the content? or most importantly, What Sega is doing with the money? Because they aren't working on Shenmue III.

02/27 update

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVk2K8gO2JY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVk2K8gO2JY

03/09 update

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g28G9qfeUs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g28G9qfeUs

03/23 update

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsM1bxDukEw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsM1bxDukEw

Unknown, possible 4/20 with PS4 release

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMG5XnR0M28"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMG5XnR0M28

And here's the wiki, which has people listing what was added, etc in each update/episode
http://pso2wiki.net/%E6%AD%A3%E5%BC%8F%E3%82%B5%E3%83%BC%E3%83%93%E3%8 2%B9%E3%82%B9%E3%82%BF%E3%83%BC%E3%83%88%E8%A8%98% E5%BF%B5%E3%82%A2%E3%83%83%E3%83%97%E3%83%87%E3%83 %BC%E3%83%88

Zeroem
Feb 23, 2016, 01:41 PM
As some people already said above, the game can be played in a 100% free2play way (a.k.a. spend zero real money). What paying real money do is.....to put it simply, give you conveniences. Which are optional.

There are a few exceptions on this case, such as specialized mags and skil trees for those who raised all of their classes and worked hard to build all the classes on par with the current meta for said classes. But again, if your character only raise 2 class to 75 (usually Bra/Hu), those exceptions are nullified......in a sense.

I guess the only thing boggles my mind during my 2 year stay at PSO2 regarding their pay model is why trade locked behind premium. But it's almost too late to bring this matter out at this point; and unless I was staying in JP one day, SEGA would give zero fuck on my opinion regarding trade function.

Sizustar
Feb 23, 2016, 01:46 PM
As some people already said above, the game can be played in a 100% free2play way (a.k.a. spend zero real money). What paying real money do is.....to put it simply, give you conveniences. Which are optional.

There are a few exceptions on this case, such as specialized mags and skil trees for those who raised all of their classes and worked hard to build all the classes on par with the current meta for said classes. But again, if your character only raise 2 class to 75 (usually Bra/Hu), those exceptions are nullified......in a sense.

I guess the only thing boggles my mind during my 2 year stay at PSO2 regarding their pay model is why trade locked behind premium. But it's almost too late to bring this matter out at this point; and unless I was staying in JP one day, SEGA would give zero fuck on my opinion regarding trade function.

They are worried ab out RMT, which is why it's locked behind premium.

Korima
Feb 23, 2016, 01:52 PM
02/27 update
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVk2K8gO2JY

03/09 update
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g28G9qfeUs

03/23 update
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsM1bxDukEw

Unknown, possible 4/20 with PS4 release
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMG5XnR0M28

I saw the videos and

First video, First Half of it is Story videos and casual clothes.
Nex Half is the same Limited Quest we have now only in the Forest.

Second video is Fishing and Mining and Franka's Cafe and that are good additions IF we have more things to do.
Other thing is Defeat the old Quartz Dragon to get a new Bow, again New weapon but I said "New WeaponS"
The Bomb-Up Cleafairy is ugly as hell but it is a personal taste.
And of course more story videos and more casual clothes.

Unless the designer of the clothes gets a lot of money (and I mean the designer not the worker that makes the 3D items) making these content is cheap as hell.

Zeroem
Feb 23, 2016, 01:55 PM

- Love Sincere
-*Angely Heart
- *Thrust Heavy Heart
- Not to add the return of items dropped from Love Rappy

That surely are more than 2 weapons returning. Well, we can argue that weapon camo is not a new weapon, but I personally see that weapon camos are new weapons in spirit. You are free to disagree with me on this matter though, since the notion that weapon camo isn't a new weapon aren't completely wrong, either.

They are worried about RMT, which is why it's locked behind premium.

I did understand that (2 years is still a long time, after all). Still baffled my mind why a basic function of an online game get locked behind cash items, in a sense. And honestly? I'd suspect that captca is actually the thing that made RMT-site owner are reluctant to create botting IDs in JP

Sizustar
Feb 23, 2016, 02:03 PM
I did understand that (2 years is still a long time, after all). Still baffled my mind why a basic function of an online game get locked behind cash items, in a sense.

And honestly? I'd suspect that captca is actually the thing that made RMT-site owner are reluctant to create botting IDs in JP

No, it was the IP-ban of China that stopped most of the RMTer, if you compare the number of banned account to before and after

TehCubey
Feb 23, 2016, 02:06 PM
About force skill trees: Are extra trees really necessary? This used to be a popular opinion but that was a long time ago, before the trees got simplified, Element Conversation was introduced, and compound techs were a thing.

From my somewhat casual force alt playing, it feels like you can definitely play in the game and not feel like you're lagging behind others with just a generalist tree, or focusing on the most common elements: fire, light for techer, etc. You won't be top tier, but you won't suck either.

Also of note is that we get 3 character slots each, so you can easily have one character for each type of mag - satk, ratk, tatk.

Sizustar
Feb 23, 2016, 02:19 PM
I saw the videos and

Second video is Fishing and Mining and Franka's Cafe and that are good additions IF we have more things to do.
Other thing is Defeat the old Quartz Dragon to get a new Bow, again New weapon but I said "New WeaponS"

Unless the designer of the clothes gets a lot of money (and I mean the designer not the worker that makes the 3D items) making these content is cheap as hell.

You're ignoring the ring system in the 03/09 update
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CbqP7NTUkAAZW3H.jpg

And that we only just got episode 4(1/27), which introduced a new story, which they are going to focus on, and a new summoner class.

If you look at the 11/25/2015~1/13/2015 episode 煌めき舞う絶対防衛戦

11/25
1 new weapon+13 camo

12/9
7 new weapon+8 camo

12/22
10 new weapon+4 new defense gear+1 camo

12/23
2 new weapon

1/1
1 new weapon

1/13
2 new weapon+5 new weapon

Or if you go to the 10/14/2015~11/11/2015 未来への軌跡 

10/14
20 weapon+2 defense+2 camo

10/28
35 new weapon+3 defense+2 camo

11/11
1 new defense

You can also visit this topic, where someone posted the new icon from the game
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231910

About force skill trees: Are extra trees really necessary? This used to be a popular opinion but that was a long time ago, before the trees got simplified, Element Conversation was introduced, and compound techs were a thing.

From my somewhat casual force alt playing, it feels like you can definitely play in the game and not feel like you're lagging behind others with just a generalist tree, or focusing on the most common elements: fire, light for techer, etc. You won't be top tier, but you won't suck either.

Also of note is that we get 3 character slots each, so you can easily have one character for each type of mag - satk, ratk, tatk.

Yes, specializing in element is still necessary for force, since maxing a element

sesiom000
Feb 23, 2016, 02:34 PM

Then where is the content? or most importantly, What Sega is doing with the money? Because they aren't working on Shenmue III.[

Story is content, Clothes is content,Fishing and Mining is content, Franka Cafe is content, crafting rings and cooking is content.
Bow and other weapons you dont mention are content, 2 new pets are content, and those more story videos and clothes are content.

So its just a matter of "personal taste" if your willing to stop being stubborn and accept that you are wrong.

Korima
Feb 23, 2016, 09:25 PM

And that we only just got episode 4(1/27), which introduced a new story, which they are going to focus on, and a new summoner class.

If you look at the 11/25/2015~1/13/2015 episode 煌めき舞う絶対防衛戦

11/25
1 new weapon+13 camo

12/9
7 new weapon+8 camo

12/22
10 new weapon+4 new defense gear+1 camo

12/23
2 new weapon

1/1
1 new weapon

1/13
2 new weapon+5 new weapon

Or if you go to the 10/14/2015~11/11/2015 未来への軌跡 

10/14
20 weapon+2 defense+2 camo

10/28
35 new weapon+3 defense+2 camo

11/11
1 new defense

You can also visit this topic, where someone posted the new icon from the game
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231910

Yes, specializing in element is still necessary for force, since maxing a element

Hold a second, I believe you that all these weapons were released and it seems they aren't camos, but all these weapons are 13 stars?

Keilyn
Feb 23, 2016, 10:35 PM
are we forced to buy stuff with real money? or can I get thing by putting a lot of time and effort I can get things for free?

You aren't forced into paying your real money, instead you pay your time which you can never get back hoping RNG favors you multiple times to get that drop you are looking for. Then spending more time grinding and affixing gear pieces...

Trust me...
Between all the fashion, weapons, units.......and all the money-sinks...
Its either you run multiple characters and really know how to hunt for the stuff that sells, as well as run meseta missions for 40 - 60 hours a week....

or

Work a real professional job... You know, the real ones that pay around $25 - $200 an hour, and then dump $45 into AC Scratch and with luck walk away with 25 - 75 million...

Of course...
....To each their own. :)

........How do you think this game is even kept afloat to begin with? ^_^

Sizustar
Feb 24, 2016, 12:55 AM
Hold a second, I believe you that all these weapons were released and it seems they aren't camos, but all these weapons are 13 stars?

No, not all of them are 13 star

Mio
Feb 24, 2016, 01:02 AM
You aren't forced into paying your real money, instead you pay your time which you can never get back hoping RNG favors you multiple times to get that drop you are looking for. Then spending more time grinding and affixing gear pieces...

Trust me...
Between all the fashion, weapons, units.......and all the money-sinks...
Its either you run multiple characters and really know how to hunt for the stuff that sells, as well as run meseta missions for 40 - 60 hours a week....

or

Work a real professional job... You know, the real ones that pay around $25 - $200 an hour, and then dump $45 into AC Scratch and with luck walk away with 25 - 75 million...

Of course...
....To each their own. :)

........How do you think this game is even kept afloat to begin with? ^_^

Agree 100%

wefwq
Feb 24, 2016, 01:04 AM
Hot damn, those +20 rings!

steverowland
Feb 24, 2016, 01:09 AM
or
Work a real professional job... You know, the real ones that pay around $25 - $200

that sounds more like an unreal job to me as in my country people are happy for $4 an hour and that's not even that bad compared to other parts of the world xD
Ofc for Japanese it can work with their economy and perhaps even Americans, but as you can notice the OP is not native English and most likely not Japanese and outside of those countries (and maybe very few other ones) getting that kind of money is pretty unrealistic...

So if OP had that kind of money he wouldn't need to ask the question.

Also... I play games so I don't have to work because I hate actual working! Yet I enjoy grinding and stuff in games. And when its fun to play the game, I would rather invest 100 hours playing a fun game to get some nice costume or drop or something, than to work for an hour and just buy it... there is no fun in that. (and well if i don't like playing the game, i go play a different one (^o^) )

anyways...

While I have invested money into the game at the launch in 2012, most of the things are on my first character that I no longer play (bag space, extra mags, skill trees etc and also got bunch of scratches), these are now things that lost their value and are irrelevant.

Ever sicne then with my second character (which I had to pay for back then, now you actually get 3 for free) I have been pure free to play and it is entirely possible to play like that and get tens of millions pretty easily to afford all the costumes and hairstyles you can ever dream of.

And these days its even easier than before as once you get to max level, you can now get shop tickets with the hundreds of excubes you get from just doing emergency quests (convert to FUN currency and then scratch shop ticket).
Shop allows you to earn lots of money if you just resell things or figure out what to buy, what to do with it to make its value increase and when to sell it back.

As for weapons and gear, you used to need premium for a while but they were actually really generous now and give you free 12* weapon passes for juts doing some quests on lvl 70, which will allows you to equip more than enough to prepare for the 13* farm - and that farm is unchanging and no amount of $$$ will help you skip it. 13* weapons cannot be traded so you just need slowly collect all the stones (materials) to get them (or get lucky with direct drop), all boosters for drop are easily affordable by free to play players (again for example the best rare drop booster you cannot buy with $, you just need to spend untradable cubes that you get plenty of from high level quests).

So yeah, as a free to play you can get shop, full room (I have like 2 years of room, you get it very easily), you can even remake your character every 30 days for free (such as bodyparts, face etc), access to all quests, missions and content as everyone else.

So I would definitely advise to start as free and maybe after few hundred hours if you ever have some spare money to invest, you will have a pretty good idea what is good investing into, but there isn't that many things really.

blkbox11
Feb 24, 2016, 03:10 AM
that sounds more like an unreal job to me as in my country people are happy for $4 an hour and that's not even that bad compared to other parts of the world xD
Ofc for Japanese it can work with their economy and perhaps even Americans, but as you can notice the OP is not native English and most likely not Japanese and outside of those countries (and maybe very few other ones) getting that kind of money is pretty unrealistic...

So if OP had that kind of money he wouldn't need to ask the question.

Definitely agree with this. It's super difficult to earn anywhere close to 10 dollars an hour where I live. Only executives and higher ranking corporate members get that much. Let's not even talk about 200 dollars an hour.

As for the OP's question: I also agree with starting off as free and spending hours in the game first. If you like it, spend some money for premium or an extra mag. Once is plenty already.

EDIT: Making money in game without spending real life money is also much easier and less time consuming than Keilyn has stated. I certainly don't need to spend so much time as to justify spending my real income every so often if I just want to earn meseta.

landman
Feb 24, 2016, 03:35 AM
The most important advantage for me is getting 10-12* weapon exchange tikets and 10-11* unit ones, and you only need to be premium once, stock on those tikets, and then buy in player shops whatever you want in the coming months.

Extra mags can be solved by leveling different characters, currently 3 free slots.

Extra skill trees, some classes don't really require it, and I'm sure there is an optimal "1 single build" for every class (in Force I'm thinking in Fire Force/Fighter). I actually find it annoying to change skill trees between quests, and most of the time I just use my "all around okeyish" build.

Extra storage (permanent character inventory up to 150 and personal inventory expansion up to 1000) is a nice luxury, but you can live without it.

All AC stuff (cosmetic) can be bought from other players with in game currency.

NightfallG
Feb 24, 2016, 06:14 PM

Let's be real; most careers that pay like that require dedication that means excluding timesinks like MMOs from your life.

I'm willing to bet that out of the whale minority, only 5 to 10 percent of them are high-paid. The rest are NEETs/slightly-above-minwage otaku.

Now, as to how I feel about PSO2's F2P model? It's nice. You can get practically everything from AC Scratch (excluding the new "scratch X times to acquire" items) on the player shop, and most of the function based pay items are cheap enough that it doesn't really matter.