PDA

View Full Version : PSO2 has gone too far off the rails.

MidCap
Feb 23, 2016, 03:06 PM
I can't take the game seriously anymore.

11 months without a new Ultimate area?

An Episode that takes place on actual Earth that acknowledges the PSO universe is a video game and invalidates the entire PS Storyline back to PS1? Just to make a few bucks off of high school girls who like to play dress-up?

No level cap increase for a year and a half?

The only way to progress your gear is to collect hundreds and thousands of stones that are absurd in variety.

What the actual fuck?

Imagine this game two years ago and imagine it now. It has NOT gotten better.

It really pisses me off that a bunch of non-gamers who want to spend money on aesthetic, "phone app" quality BS are ruining my experience. The almighty dollar / yen ruins another good franchise.

There's no way it can come back from this. They have to continue increasing the level of absurdity to keep the money coming in.

I returned to PSO1 on a private server two months ago, and it's the most fun I've had since PSO2 first released.

*sigh

In with the crusaders who defend the game to the end. Let the slaughter begin...

Maybe at least one other person feels the way I do =/

Every game is doomed by the wallets of non-gamers causing devs to make decisions that push seasoned gamers to the fringe. This is going to happen with everything. Nothing can stop it. Idiots always ruin everything good and pure -_-;

lunamaniac
Feb 23, 2016, 03:15 PM
A new ultimate area would be nice along with more new challenging content.

I don't think the new episode invalidates anything though, PSO2 was a game on Earth but we know that both Earth and the PSO2 universe are real.

I actually like that there hasn't been an increase in max level, that means I can enjoy the game and not have to grind all my classes constantly to keep up with the latest level. I enjoy being able to actually play the classes I enjoy.

The stones offer an alternative to impossible odds random chance, and it's not bad.

A lot of the new content itself is fun, I particularly enjoy the Train Ghidoran boss.

But it's all just personal opinion. I'm sorry you're not enjoying the new stuff.

JCry
Feb 23, 2016, 03:19 PM
If you quit I'll happily take your tradable stuff.

sesiom000
Feb 23, 2016, 03:27 PM
Maybe its not the game for you.

On my personal opinion i think that being able to get 13* Without paying dollars is a really good move by SEGA and its the total opposite of the give me money mentality.

That and they give the players tons of free AC stuff including Este passes, Grind sucess,skill resets etc.

In terms of Ultimate i think that Ultimate was not a good mode because they were extremely tiresome with the mobs being extremely resistant and the loot being horrendous including stones dropped there and souls.

The story i dont want to speak for now because its too early and we still dont know the villain of this EP4 and dont forget the matterboard took some time too actually get to dark falz elder.

New tokyo map is one of the best maps on PSO2 the sprint mechanic is a welcome addition that makes the game more dynamic, unfortunately SEGA release the limited maps on old EP1-3 maps and Tokyo map was not played that much.

Overall i think the game was improved from a "i cant get nothing" too a "i can get if i play" mentality.

untrustful
Feb 23, 2016, 03:28 PM
Would you have preferred pso2 when it was in it's infant state pre alpha?

Btw, anyone got that footage? I can't find it. It's super early footage when kartagots looked different.

Xaelouse
Feb 23, 2016, 03:33 PM
I expect a new ult pretty soon, like around the summer. Right now they're trying to get the story up and running and have a mid-way climax with Yamato raid.

untrustful
Feb 23, 2016, 03:34 PM
Midway? The story just started!

Skornedemon
Feb 23, 2016, 03:41 PM
I haven't touched PSO2 since running through the new tokyo fields one single time.

I seriously don't like the direction it went in, it isn't phantasy star anymore.

I was reserving my judgement until i tried it out, hoping that the new director wouldn't go full dumb. Now it has officially become a basic b**ch anime videogame to the point of addressing the next 'story' will have a **bath** scene.

It's just glaringly bad, going from profound darkness and demise, then such a HUGE shift in tone, vibe, and style.The ONLY thing I give EP4 credit for thus far is the Phantom enemy type, they ARE creative, and it IS a fresh take, but it could of been done in a different way or in a different location.

The level cap has been set for far too long, the content is waaay to easy nowadays, there's no longer challenge or incentive to play except if you really like a specific costume or LA coming in the next scratch.

Mah PSOs :(

elryan
Feb 23, 2016, 03:41 PM
Ultimate is overrated.

You're not really reading the story aren't you?

You got 4 SP extra already. Why do you even need that extra 5 SP?

You're misunderstanding those stones. Those stones are "consolation prizes" for the real thing not dropping, NOT the thing to aim for. (e.g. Instead of aiming for the stones to drop, you need to aim for the actual weapon to drop)

Have fun playing PSO1. Don't let the doors hit you on the way out.

TehCubey
Feb 23, 2016, 03:44 PM
Oh, it's this thread again. But this time with a "I am the last true player, everyone who disagrees is a non-gamer casual scrub" attitude. By all means, highlander harder. There can be only one!

Where's the popcorn?

An Episode that takes place on actual Earth that acknowledges the PSO universe is a video game and invalidates the entire PS Storyline back to PS1? Just to make a few bucks off of high school girls who like to play dress-up?

Try to understand what's happening in the storyline before you complain about it. There's even a thread dedicated to it.

Maybe at least one other person feels the way I do =/

Someone did (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diRsUQC6ENE). Feel free to follow their example.

Sp-24
Feb 23, 2016, 03:51 PM
11 months without a new Ultimate area?

There have been two Extra Hard areas since then. The game has been getting slower and slower with updates, but how is that one specific type of quest so important? Because the word also appeared in PSO?

Phantasy Star, PSO, PSU and PSO2 all take place in completely different continuities only loosely connected by a non-canon sidequest in PSP2i and by equally non-canon cameo appearances of old characters during seasonal events in PSO2. Not only that, PSO2's Earth is in a yet another dimension itself, and the plots of both the game and the anime go from subtly hinting that PSO2 isn't just a game to outright denying it.

No level cap increase for a year and a half?

Mostly done to prevent the power creep, I assume. Remember how increasing the level cap meant 5 meaningless levels, a bunch of throwaway skills along with a single good one for a class that was deemed to need a buff, disproportionately stronger enemies and a whole new tier of endgame gear that obsoleted your old one?

The only way to progress your gear is to collect hundreds and thousands of stones that are absurd in variety.

The alternative always was and still is to cross your fingers and hope that it drops.

MidCap
Feb 23, 2016, 05:38 PM
This thread is NOT a rant. It's legitimate discussion about content.

The mods always label anything that isn't 100% positive about PSO as a rant.

Here's to censorship! Nobody is going to read it down here, which is what they want.

ArcaneTechs
Feb 23, 2016, 05:52 PM
Plenty of people have bitched and whined about the same thing as you, just because its your thread doesnt make any different from everyone else who has a problem with fhe game.

Im honestly fed up with ppl whining about the game, go move/visit Japan and show up at the Q&A's and voice your opinion to them in person if you want aomething done instead of complaining on a forum that thry dont bother coming to

Also mods here dont censor voices (from what ive seen) but they dont want to deal with a special snowflake whos thread will end up in flames like many others

Sp-24
Feb 23, 2016, 05:56 PM
Technically this does fall under censorship, since removing content deemed unsuitable is pretty much the word's definition.

It is a rant, though, so I don't know why he is so unhappy. He sure as fuck isn't discussing anything, which violates the original board's topicality.

KazeSenoue
Feb 23, 2016, 05:58 PM
Ah, good old elitism.

ArcaneTechs
Feb 23, 2016, 06:23 PM
Ah, good old elitism.
I wish people would use that word correctly instead of being told your way isnt the best way therefore elitist, i dont agree with you "elitism", someone did the math right for stats "elitist", people want efficient run to get more rares "elitism" etc cancer you be, block 01 you stay

Powder Keg
Feb 23, 2016, 07:26 PM
As good as the first PSO was (still is fun, actually) Sega hasn't learned how to replicate it because they're stuck on no endgame/drip feed content. Seriously, people love a primitive game that is 15 years old more. But the truth is, it really is better, including PSU, which had the potential but was trashed due to poor service.

Had the game(s) been complete, there wouldn't be much of a need for service. They're shooting themselves in the foot and will never learn their lesson until the company has a complete overhaul.

Zeroem
Feb 23, 2016, 08:30 PM
To be fair, with the current state of PSO2 (Phantasy Stone Online 2) I won't be thrilled when Ultimate Amduskia is out (since it would almost probably add more stone to the already big-list of stones). You've even said it yourself regarding the stones.

As of story, well Earth already exist even in the older PS titles (PS0, PS2). Not really a surprise if Earth's gonna pop out at some point tbh. And unless you didn't touch the new story mode and watching the anime at the same time, it's easy to reach the same conclusion as yours. People who do are slowly getting clues that SEGA did not pull a Star Ocean 3 on its playerbase.

As for the phone app, well it provide an easy way to obtain AC, so eh. And the app is useful to some extend.

There's no denying that SEGA kinda failed in bringing the old charm. But, there's no denying that current PSO2 is working perfectly for SEGA, financial-wise. Not to add they could made foreign people go out of their way to play this game :v
And, is 'bringing back the old charm' the sole reason SEGA created PSO2?

wefwq
Feb 23, 2016, 08:58 PM
Is this another ragequit thread or what? is there going to be a final explosion giveaway?

Why would you want new UQ when everyone will only play it for like 2 week and leaving anyway.
There's just already too much *13, the only appeal of UQ now are the frequency of anga spawn, well this alone won't hold that much though.

I kinda agree with level cap being stuck, it's been awhile but i think it's more that they want to hold it so newcomers from PS4 and anime able to catch up to relevant contents, maybe it's about time.

*insert mandatory "You play PSO2 for it's plot? lol"*

The stone trading system are, eh.
It give everyone a chance to not being complete shitter, i think it's good.
Maybe you just pissed off by the number of stones required? If so, would you imagine the number of EQs you need to run if there's no stone trading system? It'll be same shit, and there's still no guarantee about you getting what you want.
Stone collecting make your progress more tangible, though the amount of work required are sort of stupid for certain weapons, it's free to play game after all where they expect you to spend your time in this game.
Well, at least there'll be no "there's no *13 wielder in this MPA? im leaving k thx".

sesiom000
Feb 23, 2016, 09:17 PM
This thread is NOT a rant. It's legitimate discussion about content.

The mods always label anything that isn't 100% positive about PSO as a rant.

Here's to censorship! Nobody is going to read it down here, which is what they want.

Why do you guys before leaving the game have to always leave a flaming letter about PSO2?

Is your life so worthless you have to have your voice heard on the internet so you can think your making a difference???

Just leave the game if you dont like it and go play Black Desert or FF14 or Blade and Soul there tons of games out there but dont come to the forum unless you point out valid arguments for a discussion thats not just the usual pso1 is better than pso2 bullcrap.

sai_kanzen
Feb 24, 2016, 12:37 AM
It's a game anyone outside Japan is not supposed to be playing anyway. One less gaijin to take into account is a load off the servers.

Besides, what other reason would SEGA have to keep this game running if not for money? They are a game company after all.

isCasted
Feb 24, 2016, 03:11 AM
What baffles me the most is really 2 things: you have to run in MPAs to get any decent gear, and you can't find MPAs for anything that you might want unless it was just released. PSO2 has multitude of problems (excessive focus on MPAs, EQs, block system etc), which really boil down to same conclusion: there's 30 GB of content, yet there's nearly nothing to do.

I used to think that content release cycle is too slow, but now I'd rather prefer old content to become more accessible. Also, I find balance changes more interesting than new areas or quest types. That way (frequently changing between classes too) I still have some fun doing even mundane stuff like dailies or XQ.

Also, PSO1? Never got into it. Heck, it literally doesn't evolve, which was the primary point of your rant. I'll give it props for being best of a kind back when it was popular, but it didn't age well at all. If you like feeling of nostalgia, props to you, but your entitlement shows off too much.

RageousGray
Mar 29, 2016, 04:05 AM
see ya and have fun in the wilderness

Nilkemios
May 12, 2016, 04:08 AM
Sega went off the rails long ago.

CocoCrispy
May 12, 2016, 04:55 AM

This point right here. I feel like spewing some words.

Taken at face value it may seem like pso2 has been turned into a plaything for earthlings, but I like to think of earth and oracle being 2 separate dimensions. And they kind of are.

Earth channels the power of ether (earth photons) in order to be able to make contact with Oracle. I haven't played the story enough to know for sure, but I feel like they might treat it like a game because they don't understand it. If you think about it, by being able to channel an avatar across dimensions and do crazy things without the consequences of actually dying for reals, who wouldn't treat that like a game? In a way, it kind of makes me think of PSO2 as Ender's Game.

We saw glimpses of this in the animu, which spoilers, Casra reveals to Itsuki that they are not actually NPCs. They are living, breathing people just like earthlings. To the people of Oracle, the battle against darkers isn't a game, but a war for their lives. The people of earth don't understand that, and since they can't die there (unless they're godmode like Itsuki and somehow boop their physical bodies through the ether), they don't fear darkers.

This reminds me of Aron's ending in Phantasy Star 3, which had a similarish dilemma. Alisa III got transported across time and space when the ship went headfirst into a black hole. When they popped out, what did they see? Earth. They were even contacted by the London communication center. Of course, by this point, Algo already dealt with earthlings, with their building Mother Brain for no reason besides wanting to destroy lives, but still.

And yes. PSO2 is space barbies. And we all look fabulous.

tl;dr Earth in PSO2 doesn't mean PSO2 is a game. It just means 2 dimensions have come in contact with each other.

steeltamashii
May 15, 2016, 12:50 AM
Oooo... the nostalgia is strong with this one. Every game has its pros and its cons, even the holy grail PSO1. I remember very clearly playing PSO on Dreamcast back in the early '00s. Rampant cheaters, losing all your meseta and your weapon when you died in battle (and then people you thought were on your side proceed to steal it), slow dial-up connection, etc etc etc... Don't get me wrong, I treasure the times I spent playing that game back then, but to say that since PSO2 has flaws, PSO1 is exempt from its own shortcomings isn't sensible.

Enjoy replaying PSO, hope the Caves don't put you to sleep.

And yes. PSO2 is space barbies. And we all look fabulous.

Couldn't have said it better myself. PSO2's character creation is superb, even if you have to shell out a couple extra bucks for some stuff.

Caetho
May 15, 2016, 05:44 AM
How can we go off-track with a boss like Train Ghidoran? His final attack can't derail, he is a train that spawns tracks after all, there's no way that they derail that easily amirite?

Kill me