PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone recommend some pretty good graphic cards?

MasterGunz2345
Feb 23, 2016, 08:09 PM
Let me get this out of the way first by showing my specs:

Windows 10 Pro
Processor: AMD Athlon (tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ 2.00 GHz
Installed memory (RAM): 2.00 GB
System Type: 32 Bit Operating System, x64-based processor
Video Card: NVIDIA Geforce 9800GT

Please excuse my poor knowledge about computer specs but I read the system requirements for PSO2 and it seems for the video card part, I assume my graphic cards is a lot better than the one the game requires at least? Everything else I am not to sure about. The game runs fine but when a lot of stuff is going on in the game (such as a lot of people in the lobby or Emergency Quests with so many enemies and people) the game lags and just lags in general whenever during the teleporting sequences. Not to mention, launching the game with the SEGA logo, NVIDIA logo, etc. I tried playing with the settings in NIVIDA Control Panel, such as lowering the Quality slider to the Performance side in the Adjust Image Settings, changing the PhysX processor to my Geforce 9800GT, changing the video resolution, and no difference. I really don't want to change the quality resolution of PSO2 from High Def to Normal cause I want the game to look nice cause i'm picky with this stuff lol. So can anyone recommend me any good graphics card they use, or suggest a few ideas on how to improve the performance in PSO2?

aiMute
Feb 23, 2016, 08:25 PM
Windows 10 Pro

This is the problem, lol. Actually I'm not sure what exactly lags but in general game is quite CPU intensive and for me it uses 1.2GB of RAM so Win10, made for modern PCs and probably busy collecting your personal information, slows your game down.
Also you might try defragging your HDD (not SSD) or try to defrag pso2 only, try Defraggler for that, just make sure NOT to turn off your PC during the process.

Selphea
Feb 23, 2016, 08:34 PM
Your GPU is old but should handle PSO2 fine. In fact, it even exceeds their recommended spec. The bottleneck might be your CPU and RAM. The official recommended spec is AMD Athlon X2 5000+ or higher and 2GB of RAM for Win7. Your Athlon 3800+ falls short by about 23% and Win10 might have bumped the RAM requirements up a little.

However, upgrading the CPU will likely be a big headache, because your Athlon 3800+ is mounted on a motherboard that's about a decade old. Manufacturing of compatible CPUs has long been stopped, so even if you manage to find an upgrade, it'll likely be way overpriced and still underperform compared to today's CPUs.

On the other hand the other option is changing the motherboard to support a newer CPU, along with changing the RAM to support the new motherboard which won't be cheap either.

That said, even on a better system I also had a bit of lag until I moved the game to my SSD. It's pretty unoptimized like that.

raialeus
Feb 23, 2016, 08:42 PM
Well with Graphics setting 6 coming soon at around April, it might be a good chance to build a new computer as a whole.
After all, you can't really make a huge upgrade on GPU without also upgrading to a CPU that doesn't bottleneck it, and that also requires updating the motherboard, CPU cooler and a higher voltage power supply.
I am not an expert on specs, but if you are looking for an upgrade that would be cost effective, perhaps you should look into a build with the GTX 970.

Or alternatively, you can settle with the PS4 version and it's confirmed that you won't need PSN plus membership to play online

Tunga
Feb 23, 2016, 08:48 PM
Your entire PC needs an upgrade. Buying a new gpu will not do much if it's going to be held back by the ancient Athlon.

Edit: Maybe buy a used gt 730 or something low-end from ebay.

Naoya Kiriyama
Feb 23, 2016, 08:59 PM
Your PC feels pretty old. Even my 5 year laptop surpasses your pc in every way, and I'm kinda forcing it to play at 1 slider (it's mostly due to overheating than anything though)

But pretty much you need an upgrade, pronto. Keep in mind things like pso2 is CPU intensive, and is badly optimized.

MasterGunz2345
Feb 23, 2016, 09:05 PM
This is the problem, lol. Actually I'm not sure what exactly lags but in general game is quite CPU intensive and for me it uses 1.2GB of RAM so Win10, made for modern PCs and probably busy collecting your personal information, slows your game down.
Also you might try defragging your HDD (not SSD) or try to defrag pso2 only, try Defraggler for that, just make sure NOT to turn off your PC during the process.

I actually just did a factory reset on my PC and my dad installed Windows 10 on it when it was Windows 7 before. However, if you really wanna go back, it started off as Windows Vista so yeah the PC is very old, got it maybe when i was around 11 and now im 19 lol

MasterGunz2345
Feb 23, 2016, 09:07 PM
Well with Graphics setting 6 coming soon at around April, it might be a good chance to build a new computer as a whole.
After all, you can't really make a huge upgrade on GPU without also upgrading to a CPU that doesn't bottleneck it, and that also requires updating the motherboard, CPU cooler and a higher voltage power supply.
I am not an expert on specs, but if you are looking for an upgrade that would be cost effective, perhaps you should look into a build with the GTX 970.

Or alternatively, you can settle with the PS4 version and it's confirmed that you won't need PSN plus membership to play online

Quick question about the PS4 PSO2, its not gonna be possible to translate that stuff in English right? Regardless i bought a PS4 just for PSO2 honestly and i heard the PS4 is region free so Im gonna cop it if I get bored playing on my PC

MasterGunz2345
Feb 23, 2016, 09:10 PM
Your GPU is old but should handle PSO2 fine. In fact, it even exceeds their recommended spec. The bottleneck might be your CPU and RAM. The official recommended spec is AMD Athlon X2 5000+ or higher and 2GB of RAM for Win7. Your Athlon 3800+ falls short by about 23% and Win10 might have bumped the RAM requirements up a little.

However, upgrading the CPU will likely be a big headache, because your Athlon 3800+ is mounted on a motherboard that's about a decade old. Manufacturing of compatible CPUs has long been stopped, so even if you manage to find an upgrade, it'll likely be way overpriced and still underperform compared to today's CPUs.

On the other hand the other option is changing the motherboard to support a newer CPU, along with changing the RAM to support the new motherboard which won't be cheap either.

That said, even on a better system I also had a bit of lag until I moved the game to my SSD. It's pretty unoptimized like that.

How much would it be to change the motherboard? Ik u said it wont be cheap but what would be the estimate?

Tunga
Feb 23, 2016, 09:12 PM
Quick question about the PS4 PSO2, its not gonna be possible to translate that stuff in English right? Regardless i bought a PS4 just for PSO2 honestly and i heard the PS4 is region free so Im gonna cop it if I get bored playing on my PC

3rd party software on consoles is not allowed and will risk a ban. PS4 version will not have a community translation that's for sure.

How much would it be to change the motherboard? Ik u said it wont be cheap but what would be the estimate?

Depends on your budget and needs.

Selphea
Feb 23, 2016, 09:23 PM

I'd suggest taking a look at Reddit's PC Master Race builds: https://www.reddit.com/r/PCMasterRace/wiki/builds

"The Media Elite" is what I'd consider bare minimum for gaming today.

Korima
Feb 23, 2016, 09:30 PM
But you want to play more today games? because changing the motheboard is like buying a new PC.

I will try to add more RAM first, 2GB is too low for PSO2 today.

MasterGunz2345
Feb 23, 2016, 09:34 PM
But you want to play more today games? because changing the motheboard is like buying a new PC.

I will try to add more RAM first, 2GB is too low for PSO2 today.

As of right now i only use that Pc for PSO2. I have a laptop but ik for a fact it wont run PSO2 well at all, or even decent if it couldnt run PSOBB well

Korima
Feb 23, 2016, 09:38 PM
PSOBB runs on toasters, you need to have a laptop from 99 to not run PSOBB well.

Also I don't understand a thing, the game lags for you in the Logos Screen? what you mean?

Keilyn
Feb 23, 2016, 10:03 PM
Let me get this out of the way first by showing my specs:

Windows 10 Pro
Processor: AMD Athlon (tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ 2.00 GHz
Installed memory (RAM): 2.00 GB
System Type: 32 Bit Operating System, x64-based processor
Video Card: NVIDIA Geforce 9800GT

Please excuse my poor knowledge about computer specs but I read the system requirements for PSO2 and it seems for the video card part, I assume my graphic cards is a lot better than the one the game requires at least? Everything else I am not to sure about. The game runs fine but when a lot of stuff is going on in the game (such as a lot of people in the lobby or Emergency Quests with so many enemies and people) the game lags and just lags in general whenever during the teleporting sequences. Not to mention, launching the game with the SEGA logo, NVIDIA logo, etc. I tried playing with the settings in NIVIDA Control Panel, such as lowering the Quality slider to the Performance side in the Adjust Image Settings, changing the PhysX processor to my Geforce 9800GT, changing the video resolution, and no difference. I really don't want to change the quality resolution of PSO2 from High Def to Normal cause I want the game to look nice cause i'm picky with this stuff lol. So can anyone recommend me any good graphics card they use, or suggest a few ideas on how to improve the performance in PSO2?

I will be simple but try to explain things...

Your main bottleneck is the limit of memory you have overall. I will explain it below...:)

Your system reads as a 32-bit system and you are running Windows 10. This means the maximum amount of memory possible to be drawn by the system is 4GB. However, this is not as easy as it looks...

Its 4GB total system memory shared among all hardware, and the operating system usually saves 1GB of memory for itself to stay alive...

This means your video card, which was released in 2008 came in versions of 256MB, 512MB and 1024MB and depending on the size you have, it can hurt or help the memory you have since Video Memory is a higher priority than RAM in the way system allocates and references memory.

The system says "First dibs in the 3GB I can use come from highest priority to lowest priority" meaning your registers and video memory comes first.....followed by your RAM at the end....including your PAGING FILE...(which is a different thing altogether..)

Example: You have 3 - 4GB of System Memory, and then you buy a nice 2GB video card. Your System reserves 1GB of Memory for the operating of the OS itself. What will your memory values be?

The answer is anywhere from 64 - 256MB of memory made up of Registers and Caches on-board your motherboard. These are the fastest and are needed so the OS can traverse through the hardware by the electrical current (Called a BUS), 2048MB (Video RAM...which now leaves....less than 1GB of recognized RAM you can actually use for a game even though the system physically has 4GB of RAM....

The reason telling you this is important is because even if you were to upgrade components, you have that 4GB Limit that is quite nasty and since you have a 64-bit "capable" processor, it means you owe it to yourself to actually run a 64-bit OS...

1) You should find 64-bit drivers to every device you have in your computer...Sound Cards, Video Cards, etc.....Collect them and burn them to a CD or DVD.

2) Backup your work...

3) Install a 64-bit Operating System (You have Windows 10 set to 32 bit so far).

Installing the 64-bit Operating System will allow you to have a lot more Register Memory at double the depth. On a 32-bit OS, your processor is limited to 8+2 Registers at a depth of 32 bits. At 64 bits you can use a much greater number of registers at double the depth. In short you will have around 2 - 4x more memory space within your processor to allow smoother execution of commands and calculations by the processor you own...

However please think about your choice....Windows 10 64-bit is nice and current, but it also was made with current and higher end computing in mind as well. The expectation really was to run with a Quad Core and at least 4GB of RAM while running on a Solid State Drive (SSD)...

you might want to think of your OS. As much as I love Windows 10, I might suggest in your case that returning to Windows 7 might actually help you in system performance IF and ONLY IF you are playing PSO2. Now if that is your MAIN WORK computer, you would need something current as SECURITY FIXES are everywhere for WINDOWS 10.

Once you enter the realm of 64-bit computing you will lift your 4GB limit...

This is important because today many video cards come with 2-4GB of memory which makes running them on 32-bit OS'es and gaming virtually impossible due to the amount of memories games take as well as video memory that the same game can take...

4) Optimizations....

If you wish to optimize any network based games, try the following:

a) MS CONFIG TOOL

Start/Run/MSConfig....

Uncheck the box "Load all startup"
Go to Startup Tab
Uncheck every box there...

Hit Apply, and then Ok, then restart...

What this does is that it takes all of those programs that start up with your OS and actually turns the startup off on them. This allows you to free up as much bandwidth and memory so that when you play it is dumped into your game....it should be more stable...

If you are on Windows 10, you control Start-Up through the task manager itself under the startup tab...

b) multi-Drive setup...

Sometimes you simply do not have enough bandwidth at the local level....especially the bandwidth of AGP slots or maybe just transfer bandwidth..

If you want to give your OS better performance, put the OS alone in one HDD and put your Game in another drive...When memory needs to access the Game or OS, it will have the full bandwidth of its corresponding drive to work with instead of dividing its bandwidth between the game and the OS if both are on the same drive...

c) In-game settings:

There are many profiles with Nvidia Inspector to show killer graphics, but sometimes all you need is actually to tone down settings and work on resolution. Try to find something that gives you decent framerate while playing....

I can make this post longer and longer, but you really need to address your 32-bit OS before anything else...

In the 32-bit Era of gaming, the most popular resolutions were

1024x768 (for standard and tournament gaming)
1280x960, 1600x1200 (for HIGH END systems)

Prior to 1080P resolutions, the active resolution used for Gaming Platforms was

1280x720

Ok to the elites out there:

"yeah I know about 2048x1536, used that tons...and the SONY CRT monitor (which I still own one) that has 2560x1600 as a widescreen resolution....and all the NEC, Viewsonics and Sony monitors that shattered the world back then :)...I used them all"

d) If you use tweaker....you can disable a lot of stuff.......

Good Luck...

~Keilyn

MasterGunz2345
Feb 23, 2016, 10:37 PM
PSOBB runs on toasters, you need to have a laptop from 99 to not run PSOBB well.

Also I don't understand a thing, the game lags for you in the Logos Screen? what you mean?

Upon launching PSO2, it takes a while for the SEGA logo to pop up (not sure if this is how the game just loads in general for everyone) and when it does, it lags a little bit as if its trying to process the SEGA logo screen. I can try to provide video evidence if you still don't understand cause honestly I'm horrible at describing things lol I can provide video evidence along with other issues my PC handles with PSO2, once the servers are back up from this maintenance update or w/e lol

MasterGunz2345
Feb 23, 2016, 10:45 PM
I will be simple but try to explain things...

Your main bottleneck is the limit of memory you have overall. I will explain it below...:)

Your system reads as a 32-bit system and you are running Windows 10. This means the maximum amount of memory possible to be drawn by the system is 4GB. However, this is not as easy as it looks...

Its 4GB total system memory shared among all hardware, and the operating system usually saves 1GB of memory for itself to stay alive...

This means your video card, which was released in 2008 came in versions of 256MB, 512MB and 1024MB and depending on the size you have, it can hurt or help the memory you have since Video Memory is a higher priority than RAM in the way system allocates and references memory.

The system says "First dibs in the 3GB I can use come from highest priority to lowest priority" meaning your registers and video memory comes first.....followed by your RAM at the end....including your PAGING FILE...(which is a different thing altogether..)

Example: You have 3 - 4GB of System Memory, and then you buy a nice 2GB video card. Your System reserves 1GB of Memory for the operating of the OS itself. What will your memory values be?

The answer is anywhere from 64 - 256MB of memory made up of Registers and Caches on-board your motherboard. These are the fastest and are needed so the OS can traverse through the hardware by the electrical current (Called a BUS), 2048MB (Video RAM...which now leaves....less than 1GB of recognized RAM you can actually use for a game even though the system physically has 4GB of RAM....

The reason telling you this is important is because even if you were to upgrade components, you have that 4GB Limit that is quite nasty and since you have a 64-bit "capable" processor, it means you owe it to yourself to actually run a 64-bit OS...

1) You should find 64-bit drivers to every device you have in your computer...Sound Cards, Video Cards, etc.....Collect them and burn them to a CD or DVD.

2) Backup your work...

3) Install a 64-bit Operating System (You have Windows 10 set to 32 bit so far).

Installing the 64-bit Operating System will allow you to have a lot more Register Memory at double the depth. On a 32-bit OS, your processor is limited to 8+2 Registers at a depth of 32 bits. At 64 bits you can use a much greater number of registers at double the depth. In short you will have around 2 - 4x more memory space within your processor to allow smoother execution of commands and calculations by the processor you own...

However please think about your choice....Windows 10 64-bit is nice and current, but it also was made with current and higher end computing in mind as well. The expectation really was to run with a Quad Core and at least 4GB of RAM while running on a Solid State Drive (SSD)...

you might want to think of your OS. As much as I love Windows 10, I might suggest in your case that returning to Windows 7 might actually help you in system performance IF and ONLY IF you are playing PSO2. Now if that is your MAIN WORK computer, you would need something current as SECURITY FIXES are everywhere for WINDOWS 10.

Once you enter the realm of 64-bit computing you will lift your 4GB limit...

This is important because today many video cards come with 2-4GB of memory which makes running them on 32-bit OS'es and gaming virtually impossible due to the amount of memories games take as well as video memory that the same game can take...

4) Optimizations....

If you wish to optimize any network based games, try the following:

a) MS CONFIG TOOL

Start/Run/MSConfig....

Uncheck the box "Load all startup"
Go to Startup Tab
Uncheck every box there...

Hit Apply, and then Ok, then restart...

What this does is that it takes all of those programs that start up with your OS and actually turns the startup off on them. This allows you to free up as much bandwidth and memory so that when you play it is dumped into your game....it should be more stable...

If you are on Windows 10, you control Start-Up through the task manager itself under the startup tab...

b) multi-Drive setup...

Sometimes you simply do not have enough bandwidth at the local level....especially the bandwidth of AGP slots or maybe just transfer bandwidth..

If you want to give your OS better performance, put the OS alone in one HDD and put your Game in another drive...When memory needs to access the Game or OS, it will have the full bandwidth of its corresponding drive to work with instead of dividing its bandwidth between the game and the OS if both are on the same drive...

c) In-game settings:

There are many profiles with Nvidia Inspector to show killer graphics, but sometimes all you need is actually to tone down settings and work on resolution. Try to find something that gives you decent framerate while playing....

I can make this post longer and longer, but you really need to address your 32-bit OS before anything else...

In the 32-bit Era of gaming, the most popular resolutions were

1024x768 (for standard and tournament gaming)
1280x960, 1600x1200 (for HIGH END systems)

Prior to 1080P resolutions, the active resolution used for Gaming Platforms was

1280x720

Ok to the elites out there:

"yeah I know about 2048x1536, used that tons...and the SONY CRT monitor (which I still own one) that has 2560x1600 as a widescreen resolution....and all the NEC, Viewsonics and Sony monitors that shattered the world back then :)...I used them all"

d) If you use tweaker....you can disable a lot of stuff.......

Good Luck...

~Keilyn

woah lol seems like a lot of technical stuff that I have never tried before when it comes to messing with my PC in that way. I might have to look into this though or just invest in a new PC with a better CPU/RAM etc but I have a good feeling it aint gonna be cheap lol good thing my Dad knows this type of stuff with which PC would suit best for me (specifically PSO2)

Tunga
Feb 23, 2016, 11:09 PM
I think the info was excessive for something simple. Your hardware is just old and a 64 bit Windows install with an extra 2 GB should only be a temporary fix until you save enough money for a new computer.

ArcaneTechs
Feb 23, 2016, 11:22 PM
No one is or going to work on an Eng patch for the ps4 version, not sure why people are thinking this is gonna happen just like the vita

seilent
Feb 24, 2016, 12:45 AM
your processor is the bottleneck imo, i doubt u will ever reach 100% GPU usage with that CPU, which means your GPU can't reach the full potent.
since my A6 did the same thing to my GPU, so i had to overclock the CPU to maximize GPU usage

Flaoc
Feb 24, 2016, 12:49 AM
like the others said pretty much need a new comp with that also said while tunga may have suggested an older card i wouldnt do that instead look at getting an i5 at least with a gtx 960 which is pretty affordable for a modern graphics card and defo way more than enough to handle pso2 at max settings

Sizustar
Feb 24, 2016, 12:55 AM
So the question is, what is your budget, and we can see what can be done.

MasterGunz2345
Feb 24, 2016, 01:47 AM
So the question is, what is your budget, and we can see what can be done.

That depends honestly. From what im gathering, a lot of people here are suggesting that I should get a brand new PC since its my processor thats the bottomneck. However, if its possible to change the processor (i dont think it is though) then i can look into that as well, but like I said, I dont think its possible from what i read since eveyones suggesting to buy a brand new PC. For one thing im not paying 1000 for an Alienware or anything like that cause thats my entire savings as of right now lmao

I would suggest to recommend me to some PCs that are good enough to run PSO2 good (better than mine without any of my problems) and for a good price along with good specs but I dont think its gonna be easy to find a PC like that lmfao i only use this PC for PSOBB and PSO2 cause im not a PC gamer truthfully speaking and prefer consoles but with PSOBB and PSO2 thats an exception cause i love these games

Anduril
Feb 24, 2016, 02:13 AM
Yeah, your current processor is an AM2 socket, so it will be difficult to find a direct upgrade for it without also changing out your motherboard.
If you aren't confident in building your own rig (which in most cases would be the ideal), you can get a prefab PC [something like this from BestBuy (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-inspiron-desktop-intel-core-i5-12gb-memory-2tb-hard-drive-black/9407115.p?id=1219703856936&skuId=9407115)], then just replace the PSU if it's not at least 500w, probably install a new CPU cooler, install a GPU, and that should work fine. (The big issue is that it will come with a bunch of preloaded software, but you can get rid of most of it easily)

Nitro Vordex
Feb 24, 2016, 02:15 AM
A good price is set by you. But if we had to give you a decent rig JUST FOR PSO2, I would say you could get away with a build around the 600-700 range that would do you just fine. You 100% need a new computer at this point, as your processor is far behind current standards. Keylin's post was far too technical (I glossed over it tbh). Someone posted the GAF thread, and that's a very good start. I would recommend reading up about PC gaming in general. There's a very large library of games available to you on the platform, and you would do well to learn what you can build within a budget, and how long that rig will reasonably last you. Keep in mind, we have the tier 6 graphics coming soon, which don't look too much more intensive, but I would definitely say maybe wait until we get some good benchmarks from people around here. (Benchmarks are tests of how well your computer can handle the graphics in motion, and during combat, to boil that down.) This would give you a chance to have a bit more breathing room with your budget; who knows, maybe down the line you'll want to really get into it. ;)

MasterGunz2345
Feb 24, 2016, 02:58 AM
Yeah, your current processor is an AM2 socket, so it will be difficult to find a direct upgrade for it without also changing out your motherboard.
If you aren't confident in building your own rig (which in most cases would be the ideal), you can get a prefab PC [something like this from BestBuy (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-inspiron-desktop-intel-core-i5-12gb-memory-2tb-hard-drive-black/9407115.p?id=1219703856936&skuId=9407115)], then just replace the PSU if it's not at least 500w, probably install a new CPU cooler, install a GPU, and that should work fine. (The big issue is that it will come with a bunch of preloaded software, but you can get rid of most of it easily)

Awesome! Im gonna check it out right now, thanks man!!

MasterGunz2345
Feb 24, 2016, 02:59 AM
A good price is set by you. But if we had to give you a decent rig JUST FOR PSO2, I would say you could get away with a build around the 600-700 range that would do you just fine. You 100% need a new computer at this point, as your processor is far behind current standards. Keylin's post was far too technical (I glossed over it tbh). Someone posted the GAF thread, and that's a very good start. I would recommend reading up about PC gaming in general. There's a very large library of games available to you on the platform, and you would do well to learn what you can build within a budget, and how long that rig will reasonably last you. Keep in mind, we have the tier 6 graphics coming soon, which don't look too much more intensive, but I would definitely say maybe wait until we get some good benchmarks from people around here. (Benchmarks are tests of how well your computer can handle the graphics in motion, and during combat, to boil that down.) This would give you a chance to have a bit more breathing room with your budget; who knows, maybe down the line you'll want to really get into it. ;)

I've seen someone mention the tier 6 graphics before on this thread, but a im little confused on what that is exactly.

kurokyosuke
Feb 24, 2016, 03:01 AM
I've seen someone mention the tier 6 graphics before on this thread, but a im little confused on what that is exactly.

It's a new graphics setting that's coming with the PS4 version.

Selphea
Feb 24, 2016, 03:43 AM
A new setting that puts everything in cling wrap

[spoiler-box]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfA3MDVZX5E[/spoiler-box]

But if you want to go all the way to make PSO2 look pretty, the sky's the limit. There's Inspector/RadeonPro + SweetFX + a buncha other things you can do with a higher end system.

aiMute
Feb 24, 2016, 06:38 AM
Don't buy a prebuilt if possible. If you pick your own parts (that you chose carefully) it'll be both better AND cheaper, wont hurt to have someone who can put it all together if you're not confident.

As for what to buy - do not get new GPU if you're short on dosh, you can always grab one later and the one you have isn't that bad. Updating just CPU and/or memory wont really help and you'll be throwing away money in the long run. With CPU you usually get new motherboard too, so thus it'll be new PC. If your PSU is 500W you might wanna try to save on it and just get yourself CPU+Motherboard+RAM and use old PSU, graphic card, HDD, case.

If you want quad core, get i5 but you might want to get dual-core because those aren't bad and good ones are enough for modern games. Updating CPU will probably mean getting new CPU fan for that socket as well (if you don't get one with CPU, those might be good or very bad). You want 8GB (4+4, 2 sticks in one package) DDR3 RAM, I think it's optimal for current gaming PCs. Motherboard, get somewhat decent (not expensive, but not the cheapest) from ASUS/MSI/Gigabyte (or maybe other more or less good manufacturers) with compatible with processor socket, same memory type (ddr3) and it being more or less modern (latest chipset). If buying new PSU, go for 650W and don't save there, good ones will serve you for years, bad ones will die faster and in case of power fault might fry your motherboard and maybe something else, so don't save on those if you're buying new. btw prebuild PCs PSUs are usually shit and are "just enough" for that rig. For videocard, don't update it if you'll be playing PSO2 only, but if not get yourself current gen videocard and it'll serve you for years (till new consoles hit the market and it won't be in years).

Tunga
Feb 24, 2016, 08:23 AM
i only use this PC for PSOBB and PSO2 cause im not a PC gamer truthfully speaking and prefer consoles but with PSOBB and PSO2 thats an exception cause i love these games

Once you get a good PC you will get the urge to play more PC games.

vbetts
Feb 24, 2016, 08:31 AM
If you're going to upgrade you GPU, I would suggest maybe a 750 or so. Anything higher is going to bottleneck hard with an old AM2 CPU.

If you want a budget upgrade, I suggest going towards an APU system. The 5800k can be found for about $100 pretty cheap, and other parts for it are pretty cost effective as well.

Sizustar
Feb 24, 2016, 09:57 AM
That depends honestly. From what im gathering, a lot of people here are suggesting that I should get a brand new PC since its my processor thats the bottomneck. However, if its possible to change the processor (i dont think it is though) then i can look into that as well, but like I said, I dont think its possible from what i read since eveyones suggesting to buy a brand new PC. For one thing im not paying 1000 for an Alienware or anything like that cause thats my entire savings as of right now lmao

I would suggest to recommend me to some PCs that are good enough to run PSO2 good (better than mine without any of my problems) and for a good price along with good specs but I dont think its gonna be easy to find a PC like that lmfao i only use this PC for PSOBB and PSO2 cause im not a PC gamer truthfully speaking and prefer consoles but with PSOBB and PSO2 thats an exception cause i love these games

How comfortable are you building your own PC, if you're not comfortable, is there a mom and pop PC repair shop near where you live, that can help you build it?

You can build a pretty decent PC for about 500~700. and having a none big brand store put your part together, should only cost $50~75 more.

And what will you primarly be using it for, gaming, media watching, video editing, or ther.

So if possible, figure these ou t

1. What is your budget(A solid number would be good)
2. Is there a preference for hardware, AMD vs. Intel for CPU, GPU, AMD vs. Nvidia for GPU
3. Are you comfortable building it yourself, or can find a mom and pop to build.

Or another option is to go to a botique PC builder, Alienware is although a famous brand in it, their price to performance ratio isn't very good, there are other one, such as ibuypower, falcon northwest, etc.

For these question, you might want to ask on forum dedicated to this, such as tomshardware, overclock.net, guru3d.com, which have member dedicated to PC gaming, and can give more indepth answer and possible help you plan a build base on your location.

Ryuuguu
Feb 24, 2016, 10:09 AM
You dont need to buy a new computer. You can do a motherboard/cpu/RAM/Power supply replacement. This would cost around $200-$300.

http://www.logicalincrements.com/

Here is a tier list that can help guide you. Keep in mind that prices on PC parts can vary so sometimes it is better to get something other than the exact part on the list.

vbetts
Feb 24, 2016, 10:10 AM
I'm a mod over at Guru3d, so if you do have any questions for a PC build just let me know. :D

Just want to know too, how much of a budget do you have?

If you want to spend about $400 and do not want to build a PC, there is always the Alienware Alpha.

The Alpha retails at $399 now USD.
http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-alpha/pd?~ck=mn%E2%80%8B

Memory can be purchased cheap to upgrade it, and takes the upgrade path of lga 1150. Now you have to use low TDP CPU's if you upgrade, otherwise the cores will be throttled down to match the TDP in the bios.

I have the Alpha with an i3, 8gb of ram, and an SSD. It plays PSO2 no problem at 1080p. Possibly could do higher, but my TV only does up to 1080p. They used to come with an Xbox controller, but they no longer do. Dell has software that ships with the Alpha to map keyboard controls to a controller.

There is one listed on ebay for $399 that comes with a controller.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alienware-Alpha-ASM100-1580-Console-2-9-GHz-Intel-Core-i3-4130T-4GB-DDR3-500GBHD-/331779137318?hash=item4d3f93df26:g:E0IAAOSwa-dWqnLy

jooozek
Feb 24, 2016, 10:32 AM
i'd wait with upgrade till at least people benchmark the level 6 graphics in 1080p and what not

red1228
Feb 24, 2016, 11:16 AM
I'd honestly just build a new computer all-together...

No you don't need to blow $1000+ on a new rig to play games at acceptable framerates these days.

You could get something like this http://pcpartpicker.com/p/XVJFcf
It will cost you under $350 & you can keep your current Hard drive (just make sure to change your drivers). Since the above-listed parts are also a micro ATX board & small form GPU, you can probably keep your current case/tower too.

NightfallG
Feb 24, 2016, 01:29 PM
Your happy median budget's going to be around 700 bucks. Don't buy prebuilt, purchase parts and if you have nerd/IT friends definitely pick their brains on what would be decent. Use something like PC Part Picker because it does compatibility checks on the fly.

As far as a graphics card, I'd recommend the GTX970 series, particularly EVGA's FTW+ variant. You'll be able to ride that thing into the sunset for a few years at 1080p pretty easily.

MasterGunz2345
Feb 24, 2016, 04:37 PM
I'm a mod over at Guru3d, so if you do have any questions for a PC build just let me know. :D

If you want to spend about $400 and do not want to build a PC, there is always the Alienware Alpha.

Memory can be purchased cheap to upgrade it, and takes the upgrade path of lga 1150. Now you have to use low TDP CPU's if you upgrade, otherwise the cores will be throttled down to match the TDP in the bios.

I have the Alpha with an i3, 8gb of ram, and an SSD. It plays PSO2 no problem at 1080p. Possibly could do higher, but my TV only does up to 1080p. They used to come with an Xbox controller, but they no longer do. Dell has software that ships with the Alpha to map keyboard controls to a controller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alienware-Alpha-ASM100-1580-Console-2-9-GHz-Intel-Core-i3-4130T-4GB-DDR3-500GBHD-/331779137318?hash=item4d3f93df26:g:E0IAAOSwa-dWqnLy

Looks promising, im look into this one as well :D thanks dude!!

MasterGunz2345
Feb 24, 2016, 04:40 PM
How comfortable are you building your own PC, if you're not comfortable, is there a mom and pop PC repair shop near where you live, that can help you build it?

You can build a pretty decent PC for about 500~700. and having a none big brand store put your part together, should only cost $50~75 more.

And what will you primarly be using it for, gaming, media watching, video editing, or ther.

So if possible, figure these ou t

1. What is your budget(A solid number would be good)
2. Is there a preference for hardware, AMD vs. Intel for CPU, GPU, AMD vs. Nvidia for GPU
3. Are you comfortable building it yourself, or can find a mom and pop to build.

Or another option is to go to a botique PC builder, Alienware is although a famous brand in it, their price to performance ratio isn't very good, there are other one, such as ibuypower, falcon northwest, etc.

For these question, you might want to ask on forum dedicated to this, such as tomshardware, overclock.net, guru3d.com, which have member dedicated to PC gaming, and can give more indepth answer and possible help you plan a build base on your location.

I want to use it for gaming (only PSO2 since im not a PC gamer tbh lol) video editing and recording games like PSO2, and streaming.

I would say my budget is around 300-500

As for building a PC, nah I have never done that before in my life my dad would know how probably since he works with computers and I think he helped my brother make one

Tunga
Feb 24, 2016, 05:30 PM
For that budget and pso2 only I would just grab an AMD APU , Re-use your optical drives/HDD/peripherals and call it a day. Something like this as a example http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7PjY4D. It's still better to ask in a dedicated PC forum and get more opinions for that budget. Add the price of windows or not if you so wish.

Sizustar
Feb 24, 2016, 05:44 PM
I want to use it for gaming (only PSO2 since im not a PC gamer tbh lol) video editing and recording games like PSO2, and streaming.

I would say my budget is around 300-500

As for building a PC, nah I have never done that before in my life my dad would know how probably since he works with computers and I think he helped my brother make one

Maybe something like this?
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vjkMBm
Go with a 370 if lowering price, I guess?

MasterGunz2345
Feb 25, 2016, 07:51 PM

Hey man quick question about the Alienware Alpha. You said yours has 8gb of ram, would it be possible for me to upgrade my ram to 8GB if I bought an Alienware Alpha? Also, I'm reading that the GPU cant be upgraded

MasterGunz2345
Feb 25, 2016, 07:58 PM
I found this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Quad-Core-Gaming-Desktop-PC-Computer-4-0x4-GHz-Custom-Built-System-NEW-WIN-7/331782418715?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%2 6asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3D17789ddde5d5422eb04 d5f5cd1fe9693%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26 sd%3D182035034315

How well would that run PSO2 for the people who know a lot about computer specs?

Selphea
Feb 25, 2016, 08:14 PM
"HD ONBOARD GRAPHICS" <- No.

You can do better for that budget.

Tunga
Feb 25, 2016, 08:43 PM
The FX- series don't have an IGPU. What the hell is that junk using lol.

Selphea
Feb 25, 2016, 09:18 PM
Probably an oldschool iGPU on the mobo like this one: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A88M/specifications/

Tunga
Feb 25, 2016, 09:55 PM
Probably an oldschool iGPU on the mobo like this one: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A88M/specifications/

I know AMD has chipsets with on-board video for AM3. The funny part is knowing what is it using that's classed as "gaming".

Selphea
Feb 25, 2016, 10:09 PM
Don't you know? The sleek case and the LEDs make it run faster!

Eternal255
Feb 25, 2016, 11:18 PM
9800GT? Wow, how nostalgic.

Please upgrade your computer ahaha. Although tbh you might be better off getting a PS4 for this game since I'm assuming with something that old, you only play this game? I'm sure its well within your budget these days.

MasterGunz2345
Feb 26, 2016, 05:28 PM
9800GT? Wow, how nostalgic.

Please upgrade your computer ahaha. Although tbh you might be better off getting a PS4 for this game since I'm assuming with something that old, you only play this game? I'm sure its well within your budget these days.

The PS4 version wont be translated tho so its gonna be a pain to tell what im doing/selecting when i play so idk honestly lol the alienware alpha someone suggested is an option but i've read that the hard drive is very slow and so the Alpha UI or w/e lol

Selphea
Feb 26, 2016, 07:50 PM
Just get the parts and make it yourself, otherwise look around for a rig that has these specs for your price range:

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K
Graphics: Radeon R9 370 or Geforce GTX 950

Everything else should naturally fall in place as long as the comp has those two parts in there.