PDA

View Full Version : Graphic's settings and options

Squal_FFVIII
Feb 27, 2016, 04:57 AM
Why is this game missing basic graphic options such as vsync and a brightness/contrast slider?

This always seemed odd to me. Now I know that sega isn't known for making great pc games, but seriously? Now I know people will most likely white knight by saying that these options aren't needed which is true to an extent. However having a vsync option is always nice for benchmarking and such. I usually like having vsync to "let application decide" incase I wanna benchmark some games it just makes things easier.

The funny thing is that PSU for pc actually has these settings...lol

Another setting that's more advance but pretty much every respectable pc game has is anti aliasing. Most games that I own offer a few options rather than just one ranging from FXAA (sucks) MSAA, SMAA, and of course SSAA.

This game seems to only have native support for FXAA and a very shitty FXAA I might add. FXAA in the Tomb Raider games looks way better than on this game.

People will for sure white knight this too due to the fact that Nvidia Inspector can be used to add AA which I also use.

However I feel that for any modern PC game these 3 options should ALWAYS be there by default. We shouldn't have to use third party software to add such effects IMO.

I wonder if the new graphics update will bring these options along with the new "ENB" and textures?

Superia
Feb 27, 2016, 05:52 AM
pretty much every respectable pc game

It seems like you already know the answer to what you are asking. As for the update, the images shown from it only seem to have some AO and possible smoothing enabled. I imagine "Stage 6" is already surpassed by a number of 3rd party solutions (and definitely surpassed by that one that crashes your game).

Asuka~
Feb 27, 2016, 06:53 AM
Hmm. From what I've seen of Slider 6 so far (berry gud) - I think I'll just drop using Inspector and use ReShade instead, in April. It is working now as shown on a thread on here from like yesterday or something. Until then though, just gonna stick with that Inspector for a little while longer.

steverowland
Feb 27, 2016, 06:53 AM
Oh yeah pso2 is definitely lacking in the technology and functions of modern PC games.

Not only very low options for graphics and such which cause performance issues on lower hardware, but even key/controller bindings are weird. I mean at least you can rebind lot of them but for example the lack of rebinding the palette keys, I mean who the hell can reach to number 7 to 0 while keeping their hand on wsad... those keys would be much better on like Q, E etc.
And on controller you cant bind those at all even if you do have spare buttons for it, I have to use external tools like xpadder to quickly switch between weapons or use abilities without having to scroll through them on the hotbar.

Saffran
Feb 27, 2016, 08:09 AM
Steverowland > laptop player here, I swapped the mouse for ",.-" so either sets of numbers (for spells and weapon palette swapping) are in reach.

isCasted
Feb 27, 2016, 10:54 AM
Well, how about changing screen and texture resolution, as well as overall detail without having to restart entire game? Remember times when this was a standard for PC games?

Ordy
Feb 27, 2016, 11:54 AM
Game crashes when changing the display resolution or switching to external monitor ... I think that alone tells a lot about how the game has been optimised and tested.

Lineage 2, a 2003 old Korean MMORPG I used to play had:

- Drag to resize window
- Custom window aspect ratio
- Gamma Levels
- Texture, Motion, Model Levels
- AA level
- Different types of Shader settings
- Terrain/NPC View range
- Weather Effects

That shit was running on Unreal Engine 2 and was smooth as fuck even on a craptop. 10 years later, we have pso2 on Hedgehog Engine who doesn't even let you change some of the key features at all.

ranmas
Feb 29, 2016, 03:32 AM
Considering how old the game is, I wouldn't exactly call it a modern game. Then again when the game first was released it was already running dated tech, and they haven't really touched the engine on this game at all from release. Then again considering that the console is king and pc gaming lacks a bit in its country of origin its not that surprising.

Sadly when looking at the way pso2 was designed you can still clearly see the design choices and philosophies that were needed when developing pso for the dreamcast. Its also pretty clear that they stuck to the rigid limitations and constraints that consoles force upon a dev team and totally ignored capabilities of the pc platform for which they were developing.