PDA

View Full Version : Does the story from PSO2 relate to anything from PSO?

djknitex
Mar 16, 2016, 02:02 PM
I been googling trying to find out but I can't really find anything.

Is PSO2 more relate able to PSU than PSO1?

Zorua
Mar 16, 2016, 02:03 PM
Nope, it's in a different universe.

pkemr4
Mar 16, 2016, 02:04 PM
its just a game bro!

djknitex
Mar 16, 2016, 02:07 PM
Haha that's what I thought... Thanks guys!

PrinceBrightstar
Mar 16, 2016, 02:20 PM
I think the word "universe" is relative when it comes to PS at this point given all the subspace stuff that's happening now. You've got characters from Ragol and Gurhal running around with the Arks. Not to mention the whole Earth thing opens the can of worms for Algol if certain events take place there.

untrustful
Mar 16, 2016, 03:28 PM
Well vopar is apparantly in the past because of the limited quest we played where rico and flowen were fighting and the music plays so the vr people in episode 2 of pso1 are actually in the future, and the sequel is the prequel because of the photons.

djknitex
Mar 16, 2016, 03:30 PM
Well vopar is apparantly in the past because of the limited quest we played where rico and flowen were fighting and the music plays so the vr people in episode 2 of pso1 are actually in the future, and the sequel is the prequel because of the photons.

So PSO2 is before PSO1?

Kondibon
Mar 16, 2016, 03:31 PM
I think the word "universe" is relative when it comes to PS at this point given all the subspace stuff that's happening now. You've got characters from Ragol and Gurhal running around with the Arks. Not to mention the whole Earth thing opens the can of worms for Algol if certain events take place there.

Why does anyone thing any of this is canon?

Shadowth117
Mar 16, 2016, 03:55 PM

I'm pretty sure they said it was some type of dimensional mishmash that caused what was going on there. From the very beginning, it was intended to be non canon...

landman
Mar 16, 2016, 04:03 PM
So PSO2 is before PSO1?

No, Sega does not care about working on a related timeline for the series, they prefer to make their own thing on each game so they don't have to deal with contradictions that would eventually be found by the fans that care.

PSU was only related to PSO in some kind of wibbly wobbly subspace travel, and the effects of that quest actually changed the events in Ragol = Falz was defeated before it actually killed Rico and infected Flowen, and some way, in some unrelated to the story of PSO2 events, characters from PSU (PSP2i) appear in the ARKS ships and Emergency Quests, but there's also people from 7-11, there are Vocaloids, or even real singers like Takenobu Mitsuyoshi. All of this, of course, completely outside of Story events.

Anduril
Mar 16, 2016, 04:17 PM
Multiverse (or [though not exactly] Alternate Timelines). Similar, yet distinct universes connected through common themes and ideas (Photons, Dark Falz, etc.), while under normal conditions having no direct connection to each other; there can be some overlap due to some other force (in the case of Phantasy Star, subspace travel seems to fill that purpose) that is available to allow for some wiggle room to play with (thus allowing things like having a universe almost indistinguishable from PSO's where Emilia and Co. save Rico and Flowen while still maintaining the existence of PSO's story in another universe; think Future-Trunks from DBZ).

djknitex
Mar 16, 2016, 04:31 PM
So confusing... Is there a website or something that would explain to me the PSO timeline/storyline.. haha

Anduril
Mar 16, 2016, 04:44 PM
So confusing... Is there a website or something that would explain to me the PSO timeline/storyline.. haha
Here's the way I see it:
Universe 1*) Phantasy Star, PSII, PSIII, PSIV
Universe 2*) PSO EP.I&II (BlueBurst), PSO EP.III, PSZero
Universe 3) PSU, PSP, PSP2, PSP2i (which connects to an alternate timeline of Universe 2 through the use of Subspace).
Universe 4) PSO2, PS Nova, PSO2es
And within each of these Universes are a myriad of alternate timelines.

*There is a good possibility that Uni1 and 2 are the same since the Ruins could possibly be one of the World Ships that escaped the destruction of Palma, but I tend to consider them separate, mostly for thematic reasons. Which reminds me that I'm still sour about PSP2 ruining the possible connection between the PSU universe and the Classic universe since the webcomic that served as a bridge between PSU and PSU:AotI said that Humanity came from outside the Gurhal system, thus allowing the possibility that they too were from one of the escaped World Ships.

djknitex
Mar 16, 2016, 04:53 PM
Here's the way I see it:
Universe 1*) Phantasy Star, PSII, PSIII, PSIV
Universe 2*) PSO EP.I&II (BlueBurst), PSO EP.III, PSZero
Universe 3) PSU, PSP, PSP2, PSP2i (which connects to an alternate timeline of Universe 2 through the use of Subspace).
And within each of these Universes are a myriad of alternate timelines.

*There is a good possibility that Uni1 and 2 are the same since the Ruins could possibly be one of the World Ships that escaped the destruction of Palma, but I tend to consider them separate, mostly for thematic reasons.

Whoa, how is PSZ relate to PSO? I always thought PSZ was more towards PSU/P

Anduril
Mar 16, 2016, 04:57 PM
The planet you are on in PSZ is Coral in the far future, Coral being the planet that the Pioneer ships from PSO departed from.

djknitex
Mar 16, 2016, 05:05 PM
The planet you are on in PSZ is Coral in the far future, Coral being the planet that the Pioneer ships from PSO departed from.

Whoaaaaaaaaaaaaa lol very interesting....

Thanks!

landman
Mar 16, 2016, 05:13 PM
So far the only confirmed "different universe" we have from the games is PSO2 Episode 4/anime's Earth. PSU had "confined space" (some kind of pocket dimension, similar to Dark Falz Double's belly) and "sub-space travel", they never actually confirm that's any kind of travel to a different universe, they could be wormholes as far as we know, and nothing stops PSU being a sequel / prequel to any other game of the series, you just have to go back to the Ancients more than 20k Gurhalian years back, whatever amount of time those are.

Mizel
Mar 16, 2016, 05:40 PM

I'd kill for a PSNova sequel, but since we never even got a collab, i doubt it could happen.

Chris_Chocobo
Mar 16, 2016, 10:25 PM
I hope we can gent Rico and Flowen as a partners like Nagisa did :)

Sp-24
Mar 16, 2016, 10:46 PM
You find "Coral" written on an old relic in one of the story quests in PSZ. It is never elaborated upon after that, or even brought up at all.

PSU was only related to PSO in some kind of wibbly wobbly subspace travel, and the effects of that quest actually changed the events in Ragol = Falz was defeated before it actually killed Rico and infected Flowen, and some way, in some unrelated to the story of PSO2 events, characters from PSU (PSP2i) appear in the ARKS ships and Emergency Quests, but there's also people from 7-11, there are Vocaloids, or even real singers like Takenobu Mitsuyoshi. All of this, of course, completely outside of Story events.
Wasn't Flowen infected long before the events of PSO took place?

Z-0
Mar 16, 2016, 10:55 PM
Wasn't Flowen infected long before the events of PSO took place?
Right as PSO started, actually. The explosion that shook the planet was his doing (unsealed Falz) and that's when he became infected and was shipped off to Gal Da Val.

Of course, PSO Episode 2 is quite a bit after that.

EDIT: Might be wrong actually, but I don't think it's *that* long before _(:3」∠)_ However in PSP2I you actually manage to free Flowen or something instead of him being damaged beyond repair (as in PSO E2)

landman
Mar 17, 2016, 05:00 AM
My bad... they actually fight Olga Flow... in Ruins. Yep, no seabed/Olga involved in the transformation, it's just Falz-Flowen but it's exactly like Olga Flow's fight. And of course Flowen pops up alive after the fight.

TaigaUC
Mar 17, 2016, 08:30 AM
I wanted to talk about this somewhere, but didn't want to make a new thread.
I'm just going to write about it here since it's somewhat relevant:

A few days ago, there were a few images uploaded to MMOLoda regarding tweets made by the scenario writer of PSO2.
The scenario writer seemed to be responding to people complaining about PSO2's scenario sucking.
Note that I don't know exactly what he was responding to, because it wasn't included in the images.

Assuming I understood the tweets correctly (I mostly skimmed over, intending to pore over it later), he essentially said:
- if you don't like the scenario, don't read it, nobody's forcing you
- that the people complaining must have some form or combination of mental illness
- that he doesn't have time to waste on such people

An image on MMOLoda responded to the tweets by saying, "if you don't have time to waste, write a decent scenario instead of posting rubbish on Twitter".
The images were deleted soon after. No idea if the tweets are still up (too lazy to search).

Just going by his tweets, the PSO2 scenario writer sounds pretty up himself.
That is, assuming he actually tweeted those things.
As far as I'm concerned, it still doesn't change the fact that the scenario writing isn't great.

Sp-24
Mar 17, 2016, 08:45 AM
I saw a 2ch thread unhappy about Episode 4 story, but I've never opened it. Weird that someone would get so defensive about what seems like a carefully calculated attempt at pandering to a wider audience.

wefwq
Mar 17, 2016, 08:56 AM
SEGA should just hire Kubo to make PSO2 great again

http://puu.sh/nJNqG.jpg

Sp-24
Mar 17, 2016, 09:01 AM
Found the latest thread on PSO2 scenario writer. It's the 118th thread on the subject, while there's been a total of 62 story threads (since episode 1, I assume).

LINK (http://yomogi.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/ogame3/1456760105/)

EDIT: I also found it funny how that thread was right next to a thread titled "Suganuma is not bad". Also, there is a ton of bomberman threads because of a bomb threat by some guy (ship 1 player).

All Techers are required to wear a miniskirt #9
Stamina recovering for an hour is a scam, hope the bald one apologizes
My fart is too stinky [All rights reserved]

Damn, why did I stop coming to that place?

landman
Mar 17, 2016, 10:10 AM
Assuming I understood the tweets correctly (I mostly skimmed over, intending to pore over it later), he essentially said:
- if you don't like the scenario, don't read it, nobody's forcing you
- that the people complaining must have some form or combination of mental illness
- that he doesn't have time to waste on such people

Unbelievable, if fans complain it's because they care about the lore of the series, how can someone responsible answer like this? I really really hope this goes to worse, and they finally decide the best solution: we are still frozen in that capsule, and dreaming!

AutumnChronicle
Mar 17, 2016, 10:39 AM
SEGA should just hire Kubo to make PSO2 great again

http://puu.sh/nJNqG.jpg

I know you're joking but no matter how much you may hate the story now, it's still way WAY better than Bleach. At least neither the game nor the anime has been dumbed down into an endless and extremely predictable cycle of good guys and bad guys taking turns to show off "cool" power-ups while the other party gives a shocked expression. :P

wefwq
Mar 17, 2016, 10:56 AM
Unbelievable, if fans complain it's because they care about the lore of the series, how can someone responsible answer like this? I really really hope this goes to worse, and they finally decide the best solution: we are still frozen in that capsule, and dreaming!
The tomatoes and soybeans are all real though.

Choppenstantz
Mar 17, 2016, 11:39 PM
My older brother was a big fan of the older games, and we both played PSO on the gamecube back when I as in highschool, so a lot of this is kinda disappointing.

It felt sorta weird when my buddies were playing PSU and I was like "wait, those are just slightly renamed versions of the old planets" and they legitimately had no idea what I meant, I mean Motavia/Moatoob? The hardest one is Neudaiz/Dezolis, and even that is the opposite of what I'd call a stretch. Algol and Gural are basically the same two syllables but reversed!

I'd rather have someone pop up and scrub the inconsistency clean then just offer some blandy "well it's not the same universe" crud. I don't mind seeing Earth in PSO2, but I also want to see Ragol and Dezolis as planets you can get to. What we got right now is honestly sort of a shame =/

yoshiblue
Mar 17, 2016, 11:54 PM
Who knows. Maybe PSO2 will end with us being the ones who sealed a Falz on Ragol in the first place?

NephyrisX
Mar 17, 2016, 11:58 PM
At the moment, my main gripe with EP4 is the lack of player involvement. I expect that to change as things escalate.

chaoko99
Mar 28, 2016, 01:59 PM
All I know is that PSI-IV, PSZ and PSO are in the same universe. Not at all sure about PSU and how it all fits in there.

Dark Emerald EXE
Mar 28, 2016, 02:05 PM
If IIRC PSU was part of it's own universe (not intentional) and is not related to anything PSO related other than simply game title :P

chaoko99
Mar 28, 2016, 02:10 PM
If IIRC PSU was part of it's own universe (not intentional) and is not related to anything PSO related other than simply game title :P
Well, Rykros sorta shows up one day. I'm not sure on the context, I just cannot play that game in 30fps.

Z-0
Mar 28, 2016, 02:13 PM
Doubt it's anything to do with the original Rykros, as the System and Planet names themselves are based off the Algol System (Gurhal being Algol backwards, Palma > Parum, Motavia > Moatoob, Dezolis > Neudaiz), but are definitely not the same.

Dark Emerald EXE
Mar 28, 2016, 03:10 PM
That and it could be something that the two universes share but aren't exactly the same....

Just like there is a Dark Falz in PSO, PSU and PSO2 but each one isn't the same being nor related other than name sake.

chaoko99
Mar 31, 2016, 03:42 PM
Who knows. Maybe PSO2 will end with us being the ones who sealed a Falz on Ragol in the first place?

That was the ending of PSIII, the Parumans crashed on Ragol (or something), stranding it there.

This also explains Rag Rappies.

Omega-z
Mar 31, 2016, 04:55 PM
^ That's a fan Theory that doesn't hold up well, since the capsules are the only link that can even link Alisa III to Ragol. But there are many more reasons for a different event other then PSIII that happened in Angol for a connection to Ragol. Also Alisa III is known for all of it's end location's for all 4 parallel paradox's in the same timeline.

Also PSU is Pre-Angol and PSO is connected to PSO2 thru Zero so far.

landman
Mar 31, 2016, 05:59 PM
Another fan theory, based on the artbook and on the PSO ending images, is that the Alisa III/another world ship ended in Coral (one of the endings, and they follow the algolian calendar, and Searren being in the artbook sketches), and the Ragol Ruins are from Algol, sealed by a Rutsu/Lutz (seen in the image of the ending in pso ver2).

Officially, PS classics and any other game in the series are unrelated.

Omega-z
Mar 31, 2016, 07:15 PM
^Yes, Landman that is one of the 4 actually ending's to PSIII is where Alisa III makes it to Capto there actual destination (it's the single planet one with the moon/ or Crys ending ) and starts a disagreement with people already there and other world ship over land...etc (starts the great war). in which at the end of the war the people make a new government and re-name the planet under the new United order Coral and Arca (if you count the moon ), Which Searren(JP)/Wren(NA) helped with the Pioneer Project before the Great Blank, PSZ and so on to PSO2*.

And yes again on the Ragol Ruin's, which is from PSII with Rutsu/Lutz later being on Ragol.

*Note: since the beginning of Ep.4 for PSO2 this puts Aron's ending of PSIII right before Arks showing up and makes sense that the tech the Earthling/Earthmen got from Alisa III ("how" don't know yet; maybe crashed or shot down who knows) would be used to make the ESC-A and learn what Ether/A-Photons are.

Anduril
Mar 31, 2016, 07:41 PM
^Yes, Landman that is one of the 4 actually ending's to PSIII is where Alisa III makes it to Capto there actual destination (it's the single planet one with the moon/ or Crys ending ) and starts a disagreement with people already there and other world ship over land...etc (starts the great war). in which at the end of the war the people make a new government and re-name the planet under the new United order Coral and Arca (if you count the moon ), Which Searren(JP)/Wren(JP) helped with the Pioneer Project before the Great Blank, PSZ and so on to PSO2.

And yes again on the Ragol Ruin's, which is from PSII with Rutsu/Lutz later on Ragol.
I don't see what the connection between PSZ and PSO2 is. Elaborate, please?

Omega-z
Mar 31, 2016, 07:49 PM
^ Oh, in PSZ Coral and Arca got renamed the Earth and the Moon by those people. So if history continues then the name should've stayed.

chaoko99
Mar 31, 2016, 08:59 PM
I was under the impression that Zero was before PSO?

yoshiblue
Mar 31, 2016, 09:04 PM
Nah, PSZ is after PSO. After the destruction and decay that Pioneer I & II were trying to escape from had finally happened and starts to clear up into surface-able living conditions.

landman
Mar 31, 2016, 11:49 PM
And this is NOT speculation, is the one thing in these posts that's actually fact and revealed by the game: Coral and Arca were renamed Earth and Moon. Same Earth and Moon from the Sol system (invaders of Algol between PSI and PSII?)? provably not... but who knows.

Anduril
Apr 1, 2016, 02:31 AM
Yeah, I assumed that it was a translation convention, ie. they are named "earth" (as in dirt) and "moon" in the native language and we just see it as English. Since they are at a pre-spacefaring level of tech, there is no reason they should need unique names for either. (A good example of what I mean comes up in the anime Asobi ni iku Yo! (yes, it's an ecchi comedy, but it still makes a good point); an alien comes to Earth and at one point mentions that her race used to call (in their native language) their own planet Earth and its people Humans, but once they became space faring, they found that other planets did the same for themselves, so they started using a different name for their own planet and people for the sake of easy identification)

MinscTFA
Apr 16, 2016, 07:10 PM
Fun stuff.

I'm going to take the easy road and say most of the games have similarities in themes but not always connected together. For example, Wind Waker uses OoT as a base for lore but the two games are not directly related.

Zorak000
Apr 17, 2016, 02:10 PM
well, the name of the game that hitsugi, itsugi, and friends are playing is called "Phantasy Star Online 2", so they might just turn that into a plot point eventually :v