PDA

View Full Version : This song available yet?

Cortte
Apr 17, 2016, 07:27 PM
The one from the update video with the Battle Ship. It sounds awesome and I need it in my life. I'm wondering if anyone knows if there's a version of it out there yet without the backround noise from the updates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuSbUI7yw9o

Shadowth117
Apr 17, 2016, 08:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKXR-gO3vU8

This has the entirety of it's theme.

黒雪Yacchi
Apr 17, 2016, 08:54 PM
Such negativity in the youtube comments, only thing Episode 4 is a failure to thus far is the English community and I'm sure we only make up a fraction of the games total player base

Skornedemon
Apr 17, 2016, 09:11 PM
I actually quite dislike episode 4, and I almost played pso2 daily before it.

Really too much of a tone shift. Also "please love our anime" reminders EVERYWHERE.

Zanverse
Apr 17, 2016, 09:59 PM
Such negativity in the youtube comments, only thing Episode 4 is a failure to thus far is the English community and I'm sure we only make up a fraction of the games total player base

This. Episode isn't the best, and certainty isn't near great, but the reason why I'm able to not constantly be negative is because I've learned to deal with it. I'm an english player playing a very majority-japanese game. I can't really complain and throw a fit because this content isn't even for me in the first place. I'll eat SEGA's food, even if I don't like the taste of one or two things on my plate. I'll push it aside, or learn to like it.

EDIT: And I've been pretty much addicted to this game thanks to how freakin' fun the combat system (and character customization) is. I haven't ever gotten the same vibe from other games aside from PSO2...

the_importer_
Apr 17, 2016, 10:13 PM
This. Episode isn't the best, and certainty isn't near great, but the reason why I'm able to not constantly be negative is because I've learned to deal with it. I'm an english player playing a very majority-japanese game. I can't really complain and throw a fit because this content isn't even for me in the first place. I'll eat SEGA's food, even if I don't like the taste of one or two things on my plate. I'll push it aside, or learn to like it.

EDIT: And I've been pretty much addicted to this game thanks to how freakin' fun the combat system (and character customization) is. I haven't ever gotten the same vibe from other games aside from PSO2...

Question remains, what do Japanese players love about EPIV? The fact that it takes place in Tokyo? If that's the main reason, then SEGA should just make a dating sim that takes place in Japan and save themselves weekly maintenance.

No but seriously, what's to like? Playing a main Free Field without the guaranty of a boss? Loosing matterboards and being spooned fed the story instead? The 4th wall breaking story? The new micro-transaction based systems (gathering, Pets)?

NephyrisX
Apr 17, 2016, 10:24 PM
Video's comment section still remains cancerous as ever.

NephyrisX
Apr 17, 2016, 10:28 PM
Question remains, what do Japanese players love about EPIV? The fact that it takes place in Tokyo? If that's the main reason, then SEGA should just make a dating sim that takes place in Japan and save themselves weekly maintenance.

No but seriously, what's to like? Playing a main Free Field without the guaranty of a boss? Loosing matterboards and being spooned fed the story instead? The 4th wall breaking story? The new micro-transaction based systems (gathering, Pets)?

Did you even play anything from EP4? The Free Field doesn't need to have a guaranteed boss when it already has Train Ghidoran Suppression ARKS quest to do that.

Matter boards is basically Story Board except I have to waste time and find a specific mob and kill it. While I don't mind it since there are guaranteed mobs in some quests, admit it, it's really nothing more than busy work to pad the story out.

4th wall breaking story? Did you miss the memo where both Earth and ARKS universes are real? It's not 4th wall breaking when the ARKS aren't directly interacting with us players.

Also, that dating sim comparison is just delicious hyperbole.

It's one thing when people dislike EP4. It's another when someone blatantly lies about it.

Sirius-91
Apr 17, 2016, 10:35 PM

It's a common enough TV trope that it's instantly loved. The weird moments that happen with some bosses and enemies you fight capture Japanese interests. It's why TV shows such as Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Ultraman, GARO and other action shows do really well in Japan, whereas here it's not so much.

Ever watched a japanese game show/variety hour show?

The other things mentioned such as the new micro-transaction systems are stuff added by SEGA. Many JP complain about that, but Japanese companies are stubborn and will refuse to fix things until it really starts to negatively impact their sales.

The key thing to remember when figuring out the appeal in japanese games is not to look at it with our western views and look at how it appeals to the Japanese audience.

Mattykins
Apr 17, 2016, 10:59 PM
It's not even that I don't like silly Japanese anime stuff; I just don't want it like this in my Phantasy Star. Like, how to explain it... I like ice cream, and I like pizza, but I wouldn't put a scoop of ice cream on a pizza, because that's gross.

Also, do JPs really like this, or are these just assumptions?

Sirius-91
Apr 17, 2016, 11:02 PM
It's not even that I don't like silly Japanese anime stuff; I just don't want it like this in my Phantasy Star. Like, how to explain it... I like ice cream, and I like pizza, but I wouldn't put a scoop of ice cream on a pizza, because that's gross.

Also, do JPs really like this, or are these just assumptions?

The response to EP4 is surprisingly positive.

Mattykins
Apr 17, 2016, 11:06 PM
Huh. I mean, it's not even the content itself that bothers me. Like, even if I liked silly anime stuff as much as Japan does, it just feels like a sellout, forgoing the setting completely to do what's apparently popular.

And then there's the more substantial issues, but meh.

Keilyn
Apr 17, 2016, 11:10 PM
I don't like Episode IV.

It has been so far one of the worse stories I've dealt with and I actually hated the anime itself. Too character-driven when it should have been plot-driven. They spent too much time onion-peeling characters. Episode Iv is just too generic for me and the only good thing there is that hydra-train monster or whatever...

silo1991
Apr 17, 2016, 11:23 PM
I don't like Episode IV.

It has been so far one of the worse stories I've dealt with and I actually hated the anime itself. Too character-driven when it should have been plot-driven. They spent too much time onion-peeling characters. Episode Iv is just too generic for me and the only good thing there is that hydra-train monster or whatever...

i agree that hydra is the only thing i liked along with the gathering system and franka cafe

im just hoping the ep4 is actually a sacrifice for something bigger in future episodes/years

NephyrisX
Apr 17, 2016, 11:31 PM
EP4 is clearly the EP1 of the first trilogy; it's main purpose is to set everything up before things escalate.

loafhero
Apr 17, 2016, 11:58 PM
EP4 is clearly the EP1 of the first trilogy; it's main purpose is to set everything up before things escalate.

Except that the plot is completely driven by not us, the PC, but by Hitsugi and Aru.

Zeroem
Apr 18, 2016, 12:06 AM
I guess talking about EP4 is the new saltmine on PSO2, along with SEA version, eh?

.......I would just say to play it, and try to not judge things on face-value and with negative mindset already formed in mind. While I agree that the current directors did some bad decisions (stamina in gathering, star gems, ticket-based layerwear), it's still the first roadmap. Many things could happened along the way. And not like all things brought to table in EP4 are bad.

I'm not saying to blindly accept EP4, but just adopt 'wait and see'. Let them do their own stuff and let us observe what these directors' vision about EP4. And if JP players like it, what we; 'illegal immigrant ARKS' could say?

Except that the plot is completely driven by not us, the PC, but by Hitsugi and Aru.

To be fair, PSU also employ the same methods of storytelling. PSU is Ethan and Laia's story; PSPo is about Vivienne; PSPo2 is about Emilia, and Infinity is about Nagisa.

Sirius-91
Apr 18, 2016, 03:44 AM
I guess talking about EP4 is the new saltmine on PSO2, along with SEA version, eh?

.......I would just say to play it, and try to not judge things on face-value and with negative mindset already formed in mind. While I agree that the current directors did some bad decisions (stamina in gathering, star gems, ticket-based layerwear), it's still the first roadmap. Many things could happened along the way. And not like all things brought to table in EP4 are bad.

I'm not saying to blindly accept EP4, but just adopt 'wait and see'. Let them do their own stuff and let us observe what these directors' vision about EP4. And if JP players like it, what we; 'illegal immigrant ARKS' could say?

To be fair, PSU also employ the same methods of storytelling. PSU is Ethan and Laia's story; PSPo is about Vivienne; PSPo2 is about Emilia, and Infinity is about Nagisa.

Well, the anime took some time before its plot remotely became interesting. Not to mention that if you watched the anime, the story becomes less "4th wall breaking" and instead becomes "dafuq is happening?".

Ep3 was just like that too until its grand fantastic finale. I'd agree on giving it time. It's trying to setup a story, while we're expecting some michael bay shit instantly after EP3 finale.

loafhero
Apr 18, 2016, 06:14 AM
Well, the anime took some time before its plot remotely became interesting. Not to mention that if you watched the anime, the story becomes less "4th wall breaking" and instead becomes "dafuq is happening?".

Ep3 was just like that too until its grand fantastic finale. I'd agree on giving it time. It's trying to setup a story, while we're expecting some michael bay shit instantly after EP3 finale.

But did it really have to start with generic highschool stuff? At least EP3's beginning had more interesting things despite its slow pacing i.e. Matoi becoming an ARKS and your in-story partner, and learning about the new alien planet of Harukotan. Not to mention that at least in EP3, the PC is directly more involved with the NPCs while EP4 casts the PC aside as a mostly passive character while Hitsugi takes the spotlight.

the_importer_
Apr 18, 2016, 06:21 AM
It's a common enough TV trope that it's instantly loved. The weird moments that happen with some bosses and enemies you fight capture Japanese interests. It's why TV shows such as Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Ultraman, GARO and other action shows do really well in Japan, whereas here it's not so much.

Ever watched a japanese game show/variety hour show?

The other things mentioned such as the new micro-transaction systems are stuff added by SEGA. Many JP complain about that, but Japanese companies are stubborn and will refuse to fix things until it really starts to negatively impact their sales.

The key thing to remember when figuring out the appeal in japanese games is not to look at it with our western views and look at how it appeals to the Japanese audience.

So you're saying that the ONLY thing they like about EPIV is that it takes place in Japan, regardless if the story is good or not?

Zeroem
Apr 18, 2016, 06:22 AM
.......Ep3 was just like that too until its grand fantastic finale. I'd agree on giving it time. It's trying to setup a story, while we're expecting some Michael bay shit instantly after EP3 finale.

The first part of the line is true (another thing we should thank Suganuma to. Bringing back Profound Darkness), but I also found the highlighted part interesting.....and funny, in a hindsight.
....So I guess, deep down, we're secretly being a tsun toward Michael Bay.

But did it really have to start with generic highschool stuff? At least EP3's beginning had more interesting things despite its slow pacing i.e. Matoi becoming an ARKS and your in-story partner, and learning about the new alien planet of Harukotan. Not to mention that at least in EP3, the PC is directly more involved with the NPCs while EP4 casts the PC aside as a mostly passive character while Hitsugi takes the spotlight.

FYI, Harukotan planet has similar tones to feudal Japan (and subtle callbacks to Neudaiz). Taking the story location from 'imaginary, feudal Japan' to 'imaginary, present Japan' is not really a surprising jump, if you ask me.

Shirou66
Apr 18, 2016, 06:39 AM

Well, if they are trying to talk about another version of xion, then they have to start it from scratch, think of EP4 as a whole new EP1 , and I believe that Satoshi Sakai himself actually says that at first people might not get whats going on, but it will slowly reveal later on in one of the live stream. So... we just have to wait.

Shadowth117
Apr 18, 2016, 06:45 AM
Well, if they are trying to talk about another version of xion, then they have to start it from scratch, think of EP4 as a whole new EP1 , and I believe that Satoshi Sakai himself actually says that at first people might not get whats going on, but it will slowly reveal later on in one of the live stream. So... we just have to wait.

Regardless of that, I think this could have been paced a wee bit better. But It's not anywhere near early EP1 bad. It's just slow, really.

Sirius-91
Apr 18, 2016, 06:53 AM
So you're saying that the ONLY thing they like about EPIV is that it takes place in Japan, regardless if the story is good or not?

I never said that, it's a mixture of things that you wouldn't understand due to cultural differences (and didn't understand from the examples I gave out).

FANSean
Apr 18, 2016, 09:08 AM

It's probably better that Hitsugi gets to take the spotlight because after three episodes of the player fighting a gradually strengthening threat, we need someone new who can keep the scale of power from growing out of control. Realistically, right now, nothing about the Phantoms or YMT is remotely on the scale as us having defeated the Profound Darkness.

I'm pretty cool with us essentially becoming an inspiration/mentor-figure for Hitsugi to develop from rather than this turn into the PHANTOM PROFOUNDER DARKNESS 2.0's BIG BROTHER'S UNCLE'S COUSIN'S HUSBAND so we don't have to strain our suspension of disbelief so hard.

NephyrisX
Apr 18, 2016, 10:26 AM
It's probably better that Hitsugi gets to take the spotlight because after three episodes of the player fighting a gradually strengthening threat, we need someone new who can keep the scale of power from growing out of control. Realistically, right now, nothing about the Phantoms or YMT is remotely on the scale as us having defeated the Profound Darkness.

I'm pretty cool with us essentially becoming an inspiration/mentor-figure for Hitsugi to develop from rather than this turn into the PHANTOM PROFOUNDER DARKNESS 2.0's BIG BROTHER'S UNCLE'S COUSIN'S HUSBAND so we don't have to strain our suspension of disbelief so hard.
If fact, we literally beat down Hagito so hard he ran off crying. It's pretty awesome watching our veteran PC casually wrecked an enemy force to show how powerful he/she has become.

the_importer_
Apr 18, 2016, 10:57 AM
I never said that, it's a mixture of things that you wouldn't understand due to cultural differences (and didn't understand from the examples I gave out).

The tropes you listed are for TV shows, you don't talk about what makes it appealing for Japanese audience gameplay wise.

NephyrisX
Apr 18, 2016, 11:42 AM
The tropes you listed are for TV shows, you don't talk about what makes it appealing for Japanese audience gameplay wise.

So tropes in Japanese TV shows don't apply to Japaneses games, even though TV tropes can easily translate into games?

the_importer_
Apr 18, 2016, 02:20 PM
So tropes in Japanese TV shows don't apply to Japaneses games, even though TV tropes can easily translate into games?

If I asked you "what do you like about this song?" and you reply "the pretty girls dancing in the video", you would failed at the question because I didn't ask you "what you do you like about the music video".

I love typical Japanese plots in my video games, hence why I rarely play Western games. That being said, I expect to have decent gameplay in them. With PSO2 EPIV, I'm getting less gameplay, less things to do and more cinematic.