PDA

View Full Version : So, fellow PC gamepad users, where did you put the new pallet button?

the_importer_
Apr 20, 2016, 10:59 AM
Although it was wishful thinking that SEGA would allow the action (pickup, press) button to be shared with the new pallet action button (à la PS1, PS0), they went the lazy way and forced us to dedicate a new button for it if we wish to use this new configuration.

So, on a standard diamond button layout gamepad:

North button (Triangle on Playstation, Y on XBOX), usually the PA/Tech attack button
West button (Square on Playstation, X on XBOX), usually the regular attack button
East button (O on Playstation, B on XBOX), usually the action or evade button
South button (X on Playstation, A on XBOX), usually the jump button

Which button did you sacrifice for the new pallet action button? Or did you use another button, specify if so.

Me, I tried using a free trigger button, but that was too weird, especially when I had to press shift as well which is also on a trigger. So I moved my action button to that said trigger. Gonna take some getting use to when I need to pickup items on the floor.

landman
Apr 20, 2016, 11:03 AM
My attack buttons have always been R1 and R2, and L1 was switch and L2 was palete action, everything stays the same and now L2 is the third attack button, Y stays lock on, X (and Left grip in steam controller) stays dodge, and I'm just using the keyboard or the Steam Controller touch menus for the palete.

ieptav
Apr 20, 2016, 11:05 AM
Here's my original™ controller scheme.

(360 controller)
Left Bumper: Evasion
Left Trigger + Right Trigger + Right Bumper: Attacks

Left Trigger previously used for block or the other weapon actions.
Pallet action button: X
Jump: A

Moved the 'activate' button to B and got rid of the alternate lock-on button since the left stick is good enough already.

This setup prioritizes easy movement and attacks for melee users.

jooozek
Apr 20, 2016, 11:07 AM
don't have mapped interact/pickup in game, using an external tool to bind xbox 360 gamepad's home button to interact/pickup from keyboard
they had a working solution in PSO1 already, what was so hard to make it the same here

[SPOILER-BOX]https://i.sli.mg/Klma1K.png[/SPOILER-BOX]

Anduril
Apr 20, 2016, 11:08 AM
I have the palette shift button on Left Stick since my thumb rarely moves from it (I previously had TPS switch on it, but it's not too much of a hassle to just hit the keyboard for that). For the time being, I switched from Hold to Click until I get used to it. Everything else is unchanged from how it was before.

A: Jump
B: Interact
X: Normal Attack
Y: PA1
RB: PA2 / Weapon Action
RT: Dodge
LB: Lock-on
LT: Use Subpalette
L Click: Palette Shift
R Click: Minimap Switch
Back: Quick Menu
Start: Menu

Makillda
Apr 20, 2016, 11:08 AM
I moved access to the R shoulder button and changed B to action 3 on my X360 controller. Everything else is still at default. Palette shift and dodge are the two triggers, L shoulder is target lock, etc.

D-Inferno
Apr 20, 2016, 11:48 AM
This is what I changed from the default 3-button layout:
L1/LB -> 3rd Weapon Action (or first; with Square/X and Triangle/Y being 2nd and 3rd)
L2/RT -> Back to Subpalette like before
R1/LB -> Back to Palette Switch like before; too strong of a PS tradition to change to L2/RT for me
Left Stick -> Change view
Right Stick -> Lock On/Reset Camera

The biggest problem for me was deciding what to map to the Left Stick; as I feel that button is rather annoying to press compared to others. I can't manage using Zondeel, Ilzonde, and other support techs all the time with it; so I scrambled stuff as you see above for a more-PS tradition setup. While CHange View seems like it should go with the RS; you also "press" it a lot less often, so it won't make your left thumb sore. I also felt lock on works well with the fact that RS itself is used to change lock ons by nudging it while locking on to stuff.

[Ayumi]
Apr 20, 2016, 11:49 AM
I've tried a bunch of set ups and in the end i just gave up. I'm sticking to 2 button set up until I can find a controller with enough buttons.
Really wish I could pick up items and set the 3rd action on B/Circle. Or at least use the PS/XB Guide button as a button.
I mean... it's right there in the middle of the damn controller... I should be able to use it.

jooozek
Apr 20, 2016, 12:11 PM
;3348675']I've tried a bunch of set ups and in the end i just gave up. I'm sticking to 2 button set up until I can find a controller with enough buttons.
Really wish I could pick up items and set the 3rd action on B/Circle. Or at least use the PS/XB Guide button as a button.
I mean... it's right there in the middle of the damn controller... I should be able to use it.

download this (https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/1goval/any_way_to_map_the_middle_xbox_360_button/camujj7) and you will be able to bind any keyboard key to xbox 360 home button, need to run as admin - also if on win 10 will have to rollback xbox 360 gamepad drivers to a 2010 version

the_importer_
Apr 20, 2016, 12:14 PM
;3348675']I've tried a bunch of set ups and in the end i just gave up. I'm sticking to 2 button set up until I can find a controller with enough buttons.

Worst part is that on Vita, your pickup button can also act as the evade button, so they could have done something for this new layout on PC/PS4.

[Ayumi]
Apr 20, 2016, 01:51 PM
download this (https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/1goval/any_way_to_map_the_middle_xbox_360_button/camujj7) and you will be able to bind any keyboard key to xbox 360 home button, need to run as admin - also if on win 10 will have to rollback xbox 360 gamepad drivers to a 2010 version
This is really nice. Did a quick test of it and seems to be working perfectly. Will try messing with it a bit more when I get some free time later.
Now I can play 2 button on Gu Hu and Ra and 3 button on Su Fo Te.

Worst part is that on Vita, your pickup button can also act as the evade button, so they could have done something for this new layout on PC/PS4.

Vita envy is a thing, right?

Azure Falcon
Apr 20, 2016, 03:06 PM
Gave up and stuck with 2 button. As expected, Sega didn't really give a toss about PC controller users when they brainstormed this change. If they'd just fix support for the Xbox One controller with the new drivers we could at least use the Chatpad as well to completely free up all the subpalette related buttons, but of course they won't do that since that's something which really only affects non-Japanese players.

Anduril
Apr 20, 2016, 03:21 PM
Gave up and stuck with 2 button. As expected, Sega didn't really give a toss about PC controller users when they brainstormed this change. If they'd just fix support for the Xbox One controller with the new drivers we could at least use the Chatpad as well to completely free up all the subpalette related buttons, but of course they won't do that since that's something which really only affects non-Japanese players.
I actually use an off-brand chatpad for most of my subpalette (although, I kept the trigger to use subpalette since I like to have my healing on the ready). It is just a generic wireless keyboard that can be attached to the controller (it has its own receiver), so it doesn't come with the caveats of the official chatpad, driver-wise.
[spoiler-box]http://i.imgur.com/DNA1A6Ih.jpg[/spoiler-box]

IceBurner
Apr 20, 2016, 03:36 PM
2 Button:
Square = Attack
Circle = PA
Triangle = Access
X = Dodge
L1 = Camera/Lock
L2 = Open Sub
R1 = Weapon Action
R2 = Jump
Start = Open Menu
Select = Quick Menu
R3 = TPS Aim
D-Pad = Select Main and Sub-Palettes

3 Button changes:
L3 = Quick Menu
Select = Access
R1 = Palette Shift
Triangle now free for 3rd palette key

Issues: Gunner isn't very playable with weapon action and attack both on face buttons.

Might just demand KBAM form now on, since this setup is pretty nice for the other classes.

Might try seeing if Joy2Key can map R1 + X to Access, since SEGA wasn't smart enough to fully copy how PSO1 and even PSO2 on Vita have a non-attacking face button that has two functions.

n_n
Apr 20, 2016, 03:52 PM
You can just use JoyToKey for that... It's button #13 in the menu.

Zyrusticae
Apr 20, 2016, 03:54 PM
My setup is thus:

Triangle = Use
Circle = Dodge
Cross = Jump
Square = Subpalette

L1 = Weapon Action 1
L2 = Weapon Action 2
R1 = Shift (Xenoverse style)
R2 = Attack / Weapon Action 3

L3 = TPS Switch
R3 = Lock-On Toggle

D-Pad = Palettes, as usual

Select = Quick Menu
Start = Main Menu

Having every weapon action on the bumpers and triggers is preferable to me. I also prefer to have dodge and jump right next to each other on the face buttons so I can easily mash them in quick succession.

Not sure if I should have the shift on L or R2. Either way, I gotta rewire my muscle memory, for sure. Gonna be rough for a bit, I reckon.

Raujinn
Apr 20, 2016, 04:01 PM
Too busy fighting muscle memory to settle on something. Did find out that you can't have both triggers in use at once (so having L2 as pallet swap meant I could no longer use R2. It counted as letting go of L2 D:). Using a 360 controller.

Neith
Apr 20, 2016, 04:31 PM
So far I use this but finding it really difficult to drop the habits from the last few years!

Square: Attack 1
Triangle: Attack 2
X: Attack 3 (I hate using shoulder buttons as attack)
Circle: Access
L1: Lockon
L2: Jump
R1: Switch weapon pallette
R2: Evade
L3: Use (for item pallette)
R3: TPS

Works pretty well but remembering all the changes falls away when you're mashing L2 for Trimates :lol:

Ceresa
Apr 20, 2016, 06:16 PM
R1: Attack 3
X: Jump
Circle: Pallette swap
L2: Subpallette use
L3: Access

Joy2key> keyboard E to circle

Circle now doubles up and does all the access shit, couldn't care less if weapon swap gets spammed while I pick up items. R1 gets all the weapon actions so it's just like before. R1 on rod/talis gets weapon attack/zanverse.

AlphaBlob
Apr 20, 2016, 06:48 PM
For those who want to assign a key to the home button: http://www.mediafire.com/download/1zmif89ttxxy1w0/Button+On+Guide.rar

I uploaded my setting, tap = numpad4, press = numpad2.

Edit: Ninja'd

Touka
Apr 20, 2016, 07:55 PM
Don't think I changed anything for my ranger button wise,3 button set up just feels so right and cuts down on having a wep take up two or 3 palette spots.

Azure Falcon
Apr 20, 2016, 08:08 PM
I actually use an off-brand chatpad for most of my subpalette (although, I kept the trigger to use subpalette since I like to have my healing on the ready). It is just a generic wireless keyboard that can be attached to the controller (it has its own receiver), so it doesn't come with the caveats of the official chatpad, driver-wise.
[spoiler-box]http://i.imgur.com/DNA1A6Ih.jpg[/spoiler-box]

Mind linking that product, or do you know the manufacturer of it at least? I've been looking for a chatpad solution for over a year now for PSO2 both with the 360 and X1 controllers.

Viper Snake
Apr 20, 2016, 08:28 PM
I used Xpadder to combine Access and Action 3 into one button. A delay of 0.15 seconds seems to be good enough for mashing on the button to pick up items or accessing things. Holding the button lets the action button be used as normal. The in-game gamepad bind for Access and Action 3 have to be unbound for this to work since this is using keyboard inputs in place of them. Also make sure Xpadder's default key tap time is at 0.01

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v622/Viper_Snake/Access%20and%20Slot%203.png (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Viper_Snake/media/Access%20and%20Slot%203.png.html)

Anduril
Apr 20, 2016, 08:40 PM
Mind linking that product, or do you know the manufacturer of it at least? I've been looking for a chatpad solution for over a year now for PSO2 both with the 360 and X1 controllers.
Mine's a slightly older version (http://smile.amazon.com/Megadream%C2%AE-Wireless-Controller-Keyboard-Microsoft-One/dp/B00R95JT56/ref=sr_1_11?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1461202150&sr=1-11&keywords=xbox+one+chatpad) that doesn't have the connections for any peripherals at the bottom, but there are some newer models. Keep in mind, these things are pretty cheap, so there is no guarantee that it will be that great of quality.

IceBurner
Apr 20, 2016, 09:23 PM
R1: Attack 3
X: Jump
Circle: Pallette swap
L2: Subpallette use
L3: Access

Joy2key> keyboard E to circle

Circle now doubles up and does all the access shit, couldn't care less if weapon swap gets spammed while I pick up items. R1 gets all the weapon actions so it's just like before. R1 on rod/talis gets weapon attack/zanverse.Clever! I had not thought of palette shift doubling as Access. You're right that the two functions really don't interfere. Going to have to set that up.

Zyrusticae
Apr 20, 2016, 09:28 PM
My setup is thus:

Triangle = Use
Circle = Dodge
Cross = Jump
Square = Subpalette

L1 = Weapon Action 1
L2 = Weapon Action 2
R1 = Shift (Xenoverse style)
R2 = Attack / Weapon Action 3

L3 = TPS Switch
R3 = Lock-On Toggle

D-Pad = Palettes, as usual

Select = Quick Menu
Start = Main Menu
Updated my settings because you can't hit both triggers at the same time.

I find this setup works pretty well, aside from the part where it completely fucks up my muscle memory. Definitely gonna have to spend a lot of time in practice to get used to things again. Doing the R1+LB or R1+LT combination in particular ruins me. It feels wrong. But I know it's just a matter of practice.

sol_trigger
Apr 20, 2016, 09:44 PM
I used Xpadder to combine Access and Action 3 into one button. A delay of 0.15 seconds seems to be good enough for mashing on the button to pick up items or accessing things. Holding the button lets the action button be used as normal. The in-game gamepad bind for Access and Action 3 have to be unbound for this to work since this is using keyboard inputs in place of them. Also make sure Xpadder's default key tap time is at 0.01

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v622/Viper_Snake/Access%20and%20Slot%203.png (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Viper_Snake/media/Access%20and%20Slot%203.png.html)

did you purchase the license for xpadder ? if you got the free version pls pm me...im not going to pay 9.9 USD just for a damn mapping software

Youmu Konpaku
Apr 20, 2016, 10:28 PM
i don't want to change my playstyles on Gu and Bo, so my PS2 gamepad button like this ..

2 Basic button :

Square : Normal Attack
Triangle : PA
O : Access
X : Jump

R1 : Evade (Roll / Step)
R2 : Weapon Special Action
L1 : Execute item Palette
L2 : Lock On
R3 : TPS
L3 : none

Dpad : Palletes
Start : Start Menu
Select : Quick Menu

3 Basic Button :

Square : Action Weapon 1 (Normal Attack)
Triangle : Action Weapon 3 (PA)
O : Access
X : Jump

R1 : Evade (Roll / Step)
R2 : Action Weapon 2 (i use this as Weapon Special Action, like S-Roll)
L1 : Execute item Palette
L2 : Shift (changed from Lock-On)
R3 : TPS
L3 : Quick Menu

Dpad : Palletes
Start : Start Menu
Select : Lock-On (changed from Quick Menu)

Select button is rarely to use, so i think it's better to often to use it .

the results is 2 and 3 button looks almost same .. :grin:

jooozek
Apr 20, 2016, 11:37 PM
You can just use JoyToKey for that... It's button #13 in the menu.

i can't and never could, neither did xpadder ever pick it up

Stormwalker
Apr 21, 2016, 12:13 AM
I've left it on LT. What I'm still trying to figure out is where I'm going to put subpalette activate, though, because I don't like it on LS.

n_n
Apr 21, 2016, 12:24 AM
i can't and never could, neither did xpadder ever pick it up
Is your J2K outdated? I'm not sure when they added support for the silver guide button, but you might be on an old version. And Xpadder never detected it for me either.

edit: my version is 5.8.2

jooozek
Apr 21, 2016, 12:39 AM
Is your J2K outdated? I'm not sure when they added support for the silver guide button, but you might be on an old version. And Xpadder never detected it for me either.

edit: my version is 5.8.2

apparently it's a feature since a bit under half a year, now i'll have to ditch both xpadder and that tool i linked for it, great that they added support

MightyHarken
Apr 21, 2016, 12:35 PM
I'm having a blast with the gamepad and making use of the new controller type. I just set my PA pallete swap to RB and put PA's in RT Y and B, it works like a charm, I use my skills and items by pressing the left stick analog and I put access in RT.

landman
Apr 21, 2016, 01:14 PM
Tried gunner today, lol I can't, going back to combo.

And found I needed my palette action on Force to a key that was not my right thumb or the keyboard to aim fomelgion, so X is back to dodge and left grip in the steam controller is keyboard B key, it's a shame compound techs can't be placed in the weapon palette. Other than that Force is almost the same for me, just added two new attacks to what previously was the palette action button.

MightyHarken
Apr 21, 2016, 01:38 PM
I'd have to play a melee class to see if what people say is truth, but as far as ranger goes, it's perfect for ranger.

Lorne
Apr 21, 2016, 01:45 PM
This new system works great for me on melee classes. No issues whatsoever. It's a game changer, one if the best updates we've ever gotten.

MightyHarken
Apr 21, 2016, 02:06 PM
This new system works great for me on melee classes. No issues whatsoever. It's a game changer, one if the best updates we've ever gotten.

ikr, it's just that people don't want to go through a learning curve again

TyroneSama
Apr 21, 2016, 03:27 PM
Things are pretty fantastic for me on Hu/Fi, though I'm not using a gamepad. Before the update, I was basically running 6 palettes with 3 of the same PA, using 1-6 to quick switch: now, I have Action 2 on Shift and Action 3 on RMB, using an extra mouse button to swap. Same muscle memory as before, except I now have on-demand Ignite Parry and Sacrifice Bite.

https://r.kyaa.sg/hfjiyi.png

I'm pretty pleased with it, planning on adapting Gunner in the same way. Unfortunately, it doesn't free up much space on my future Te/Br...

IceBurner
Apr 21, 2016, 03:41 PM
Odd, I can't get Joy2Key to interact with PSO2 at all, even when running J2K as admin. It works fine on every other application. I can type E's and X's into Notepad all day with it.

Any ideas?

jooozek
Apr 21, 2016, 04:00 PM
Odd, I can't get Joy2Key to interact with PSO2 at all, even when running J2K as admin. It works fine on every other application. I can type E's and X's into Notepad all day with it.

Any ideas?

your profile probably reset between times where you change j2k to run as admin (that's what happened to me at least lol) - if that's not the case, change the keystroke type or something like that and maybe windows 7 compatbility mode

landman
Apr 22, 2016, 12:34 AM
I don't have a ps4, so I haven't exactly been using the touchpad.
PS4 users have not used it either lol

Squall179
Apr 22, 2016, 08:47 AM
personally I left it alone at default. I actually rather like having VERY quick access to it and still being mobile. On the old setting autorun is on leftstickclick and on my gamepad it triggered too easily. THis would cause me to mid fight run INTO enemy attacks instead of away, causing issues since the ability to run left or right somehow stops existing until you go and push it again to turn it off.

Having that button gone from the gamepad entirely and just be on the keyboard saves me a pain in the backend. ...and I rather like where the subpally activation button is in its place, since I can easily trigger it but not TOO easily (and for me its Resta, and all that means is I slow down, and can still move away from an attack)

Stormwalker
Apr 22, 2016, 08:51 AM

Wholeheartedly agree. It's revolutionized how I play Gunner. Now that I can carry four PA's on one palette and use any one I want at any time, I find I can use a number of PA's to much better effect than before. I haven't tried it with Fighter yet, but I expect similar results.

IceBurner
Apr 22, 2016, 12:16 PM
your profile probably reset between times where you change j2k to run as admin (that's what happened to me at least lol) - if that's not the case, change the keystroke type or something like that and maybe windows 7 compatbility mode

Tried both at the same time, and something worked. It's perfect now! Thank you.

Stormwalker
Apr 23, 2016, 03:33 AM
I changed up my setting, found one I like finally.

Since I don't change weapons nearly as often in the new system (being able to put 4-5 PA's on a single palette and use them at will has that effect), I actually bound D-Pad down to Open Subpalette. I left D-Pad up on weapon switching, but generally i just weapon switch using the numeric keypad now, and I switch subpalettes the same way.

This let me move my minimap back to LS, and now L1 is the weapon palette shift and L2 is lock-on.

I'm very pleased with this setup... the game feels so much better all around now.