PDA

View Full Version : Who else but SEGA? (2/3Button Layout issue)

Petunia
Apr 22, 2016, 05:55 AM
They make a rad new control scheme that's really neat! I can have all the important PAs I need on 1 or 2 weapons instead of having 6 with 1 PA on each.
Yeah, this is cool, how could they fuck this up? :D

"The Vita version doesn't have this feature"

That's fine, I understand that the Vita has fewer buttons. That's not a problem, I can don't mind using the old 2 Button system when I want to play on the go--

"Logging into the Vita version after playing 3 button on the PC removes all 2 button PAs from your weapon."

Uh...

"Logging into the PC version after playing 2 button on the Vita removes all 3 button PAs from your weapon"

God damn it, SEGA.

You basically are forced to save 2 copies of your set up to the Class counter, one for 3 Button and 1 for 2 Button if you own and play on the Vita version, as swapping to the Vita (and visa versa) wipes your weapons of all their PAs. Why can't the server save your PAs for both 2 button and 3 button set ups?
And how was this oversight not caught?
I really hope enough Japanese players complain about this and they fix it :/

So yeah this was pretty much a heads up for people who play on Vita and PC, make sure you save 2 layouts for each button set up unless you want to redo all your PAs every time you swap consoles.

TaigaUC
Apr 22, 2016, 07:34 AM
That's fucked up.

I was actually afraid something like that would happen to my account if I switched between PS4 and PC versions.

Meteor Weapon
Apr 22, 2016, 07:36 AM
Lol Sega fucking up again.

Petunia
Apr 22, 2016, 08:23 AM
That's fucked up.

I was actually afraid something like that would happen to my account if I switched between PS4 and PC versions.

PC and PS4 seem to be fine, as PS4 can use both 2 Button and 3 Button if I'm not mistaken.
But the Vita isn't so lucky. It's limited buttons means that it can only do 2 Button, and if you swap Button set ups between 2 and 3 on the PC/PS4 Version it resets your weapons to have no PAs attached (if I'm not mistaken. I'd test it but there seems to be an issue with the tweaker right now), and since the Vita can ONLY run 2 Button it forces that Weapon default settings.
It's a small nuisance, but I'm sure for players who have all 10 Loadout slots full it'll be an even bigger one.

This, coupled with how a lot of the new content runs at 2 FPS on the Vita and has once even caused my Vita to crash tells me that SEGA isn't actually testing any new content on the Vita, nor are they even taking the Vita into consideration when designing new content and mechanics.

I recall you saying something about how SEGA missed an opportunity to tie the Gathering system into the Crafting system. Well all this combined makes it feel like SEGA makes/does something then forgets about it immediately, never to return to that idea again. They just leave it and move on.

isCasted
Apr 22, 2016, 08:35 AM
You'd think Vita had the most freedom for control implementation, given the touchscreen capabilities and whatnot.

Petunia
Apr 22, 2016, 08:57 AM
You'd think Vita had the most freedom for control implementation, given the touchscreen capabilities and whatnot.

This. Tapping the Weapon area does your Weapon Action, just change that to swap which of the 3 PAs you want and remap the R button to the 3rd attack button.
Done.

Z-0
Apr 22, 2016, 08:59 AM
That's annoying though and messes with the pace, having to stretch your finger over to the screen. (I don't like using subpalette on Vita, for example) They should have made the entire back touchscreen swap the palette if you have 3-button setup, though. That's very easy to do, although also easy to accidently brush against.

Ryuuguu
Apr 22, 2016, 09:17 AM
>3 button mode
>can't bind ctrl
>can't bind alt
SEGA WHY

Achelousaurus
Apr 22, 2016, 12:08 PM
They should just give players the freedom of choosing.
Honestly, most settings in games can easily be changed on the fly so just let players decide what they want.
There's always a reset button so if a player fubars the controls he can just reset them and everything normal.

Sega just doesn't know much about user friendly game design.

Stormwalker
Apr 23, 2016, 03:38 AM
They should just give players the freedom of choosing.
Honestly, most settings in games can easily be changed on the fly so just let players decide what they want.
There's always a reset button so if a player fubars the controls he can just reset them and everything normal.

Sega just doesn't know much about user friendly game design.

I think it's more that Sega doesn't know jack about how controllers work.

Given that I tried to hook up my XBox One Elite Wireless Controller and PSO2 freaks out because it doesn't know how to handle a controller where the triggers are separate axes.

To make it work, I have to use a standard XBox One controller driver. Which, of course, means I can't use any of the nifty utilities that come with the controller, nor can I use the hairtrigger cutoffs. Not that I'm overly attached to those features, I wanted the controller for the paddles (very useful for TPS mode) and better construction than the Razer Sabertooth I used to use. Still annoying that the controller support in PSO2 is so pathetic, though.

Still, the new palette system makes everything SO much better than it was, in spite of the flaws.

TaigaUC
Apr 23, 2016, 04:11 AM
Yeah, I realized I couldn't bind Ctrl or Alt either. Pissed.

I think the problem is fundamentally SEGA did the 2/3 action type thing in a half-assed way.
What they did was make it so you can only store one key config at once, and selecting the action type affects EVERYTHING.
You can't store key config for type 3 and 2. You can't store palettes for type 3 and 2. Switching between them resets whatever you had setup.
Because you can only store one config at a time, if you happen to play Vita, it'll overwrite your type 3 settings with type 2, and vice versa.
And, of course, you can't use different types for different weapons, which would have been nice.

What they should have done was made it so you can assign individual palettes to 2/3 action type.
It's clear they didn't really think things through.
Or they were being half-assed about it and didn't want to bother coding the game to save a separate key config for each type.

I guess we can assume whoever adds these features to PSO2:
1. doesn't really play PSO2 enough to know the implications of their decisions
2. doesn't really test their implemented features properly
3. doesn't seem to want to pay testers to test their implemented features properly

Petunia
Apr 23, 2016, 07:04 AM
I guess we can assume whoever adds these features to PSO2:
1. doesn't really play PSO2 enough to know the implications of their decisions
2. doesn't really test their implemented features properly
3. doesn't seem to want to pay testers to test their implemented features properly

4. The testers are too typically "Polite Japanese" to point out the flaws.
We see them using the new 3 Button system on their streams like with the Battleship fight. Surely one of them would have pointed out the flaws, but then again they did fail to defeat the ship before it used its Ultimate (which didn't end the encounter, it just made every die then 5 seconds later they respawn like nothing happened mind you).

So either they're incompetent or they're too polite to point out the flaws.

ZerotakerZX
Apr 23, 2016, 07:14 AM
4. The testers are too typically "Polite Japanese" to point out the flaws.
We see them using the new 3 Button system on their streams like with the Battleship fight. Surely one of them would have pointed out the flaws, but then again they did fail to defeat the ship before it used its Ultimate (which didn't end the encounter, it just made every die then 5 seconds later they respawn like nothing happened mind you).

So either they're incompetent or they're too polite to point out the flaws.
Sounds like pretty poor testers. So every jap software should be flawed?

TaigaUC
Apr 23, 2016, 08:13 AM
Dunno how JP people do it, but I used to know someone who beta tested for a major North American publisher.
They said they don't ask people to look for bugs or issues.
They just tell people to test something specific and fill out a form regarding that.
I forget if he said anything else. It was a long time ago.

isCasted
Apr 23, 2016, 09:24 AM
Haven't these people, like, gone through Software Engineering courses or anything? Testers are supposed to break things. The whole point of hiring separate people for testing is because creators are deeply afraid of breaking their own creations due to psychological attachment. But now it looks like higher-ups are too attached to their workers' creations... or money. Testing is not supposed to confirm that things can work, it's supposed to show that things can break.

But hey, production is the best testing environment, amirite, guize?

TaigaUC
Apr 23, 2016, 03:18 PM
So I noticed something else annoying.

I have Mouse 2 and 3 swapped. Middle mouse for PA2, right mouse is for PA3.
Makes more sense that way, just by looking at the PAs lined up from left to right.
But AIS will use PA1 and PA2. Meaning I need to use left and middle mouse.

Yden
Apr 23, 2016, 03:41 PM
Yeah, I realized I couldn't bind Ctrl or Alt either. Pissed.

The problem about ctrl and alt is they're tied to global shortcuts. Quickest example I can think of is that ctrl/alt + ->/<- move between chat options. I'm in the same boat wanting to bind tab to area map since I need a new key after moving one of my extra mouse buttons to the PA3 but since that's also used in the system a lot I can't do it.

selfhate91
May 9, 2016, 03:04 PM
>trying 3 buttons once
>confused
>never try again up to now