PDA

View Full Version : Will T6 be smooth on this new rig i'm building?

AyImAndrew
May 2, 2016, 08:45 AM
Specs:

CPU: AMD FX 6300
GPU: GTX 750 Ti (2GB GDDR5)
RAM: 16GB DDR3
PSU: 650W

I kinda need to cheap out on the CPU due to budget and i'm not too knowledgeable
on PC parts.
Thoughts?

oratank
May 2, 2016, 08:58 AM
amd is cheap but you may need to buy cpu cooler because amd stock fan is fucking loud

red1228
May 2, 2016, 09:29 AM
Hmm... It'll run it in the 40-50 fps range on medium to mid-high settings.

FX-6300s over clock quite well, as long as you keep them cool. I highly recommend dropping another $25-30 on something like a Hyper212 Evo cooler (if your case has the clearence).

An alternative idea would be to swap out the FX6300 for a strong Intel i3 (like the 4160 or 6100). This will improve your gaming performance a bit, however it will worsen your multitasking ability (two cores/four threads vs. Six cores/six threads). If you do, make sure to swap out the correct motherboard aswell.

pkemr4
May 2, 2016, 10:07 AM
a gtx 750ti is enough to do Tier 6 and use nvidia inspector

can always overclock your cpu if you have a aftermarket cooler

Flaoc
May 2, 2016, 11:32 AM
if its within budget id highly suggest getting gtx 960 instead of 750ti

Shoterxx
May 2, 2016, 12:00 PM
Get a 950, way better performance for some extra $30.
Heck, if you get a decent 950 (like from Zotac), it outperforms most 960s, since the gap is rather small.
I'm running on 8GB RAM, it's more than enough.
The processor is good enough, though I recommend the cooler mentioned aboved (I'm actualy getting one as well) to make sure it won't die so soon.

Just a question though, what resolution do you intend to run on? A 750ti is borderline acceptable for 1080p. And even the 950 won't fare well higher than that.

黒雪Yacchi
May 2, 2016, 12:09 PM
Got a 960 gtx for 242 on newegg. Averages about 65-80 FPS http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127860

Shoterxx
May 2, 2016, 12:57 PM
Got a 960 gtx for 242 on newegg. Averages about 65-80 FPS http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127860

Isn't that kinda low? I feel like there's probably some bottlenecking happening somewhere. Also, those 4GB are not doing anything in that GPU, unless you SLI it.
Also, never gave a reference for the 950: http://www.amazon.com/ZOTAC-GeForce-DisplayPort-Graphics-ZT-90603-10M/dp/B013P30MVK $140 right now even.

AyImAndrew
May 2, 2016, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the input guys, i'll look into the recommendations listed this helps out a lot!

AyImAndrew
May 2, 2016, 01:34 PM
Get a 950, way better performance for some extra $30.
Heck, if you get a decent 950 (like from Zotac), it outperforms most 960s, since the gap is rather small.
I'm running on 8GB RAM, it's more than enough.
The processor is good enough, though I recommend the cooler mentioned aboved (I'm actualy getting one as well) to make sure it won't die so soon.

Just a question though, what resolution do you intend to run on? A 750ti is borderline acceptable for 1080p. And even the 950 won't fare well higher than that.

Just standard 1920x1080 (Virtual Full Screen)

Azure Falcon
May 2, 2016, 01:54 PM
Considering my mid-range rig from 2011 is slightly better than that and can't run T6 at an acceptable framerate (outside of the lobby), no it won't be. Quite honestly, save your money for another 6-9 months rather than building such a weak and unbalanced (16gb RAM is overkill for that CPU/GPU) setup. There are quite a few forums around where you can post your budget and other people will assemble together the best build you can get in that range, you'd be wise to do that.

At the very least ditch the AMD processor and go Intel instead, that 6300FX is worse than an old i5 2500k.

Shoterxx
May 2, 2016, 02:01 PM
Just standard 1920x1080 (Virtual Full Screen)

Then the 950 should be just fine. If you're trying to cut corners for money, a 960 is unlikely worth it, but it's a substancial improvement over the 750ti, which would require you to upgrade sooner anyway.

Check this: http://www.logicalincrements.com/ (your tier is around "Very Good");
and this: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_value.html (750ti has better price/performance ratio, but it's quite a bit older, so you're bound to have to spend again sooner, which won't save you money in the end).

Considering my mid-range rig from 2011 is slightly better than that and can't run T6 at an acceptable framerate (outside of the lobby), no it won't be. Quite honestly, save your money for another 6-9 months rather than building such a weak and unbalanced (16gb RAM is overkill for that CPU/GPU) setup. There are quite a few forums around where you can post your budget and other people will assemble together the best build you can get in that range, you'd be wise to do that.

At the very least ditch the AMD processor and go Intel instead, that 6300FX is worse than an old i5 2500k.

Going Intel right now is kinda bad IMO. Your example is kinda funny, because in technical terms, the 2500k still beats the 6600k at the highest reacheable stable clock.
(and for the record, getting a 1155 socket motherboard is nightmarish right now, since the only ones left are defective models and used and abused second hands)

dr apocalipsis
May 2, 2016, 02:17 PM
Any FX Processor is a waste of money.

Buy any cheap i3 and upgrade it later when people change platform and sell their used CPU's on Ebay for cheap. Or just push it a little and buy directly an i5 and keep it forever.

Buying an AM3 socket will leave you stuck on crappy and old platform with no upgrade chances.

Azure Falcon
May 2, 2016, 02:43 PM
Going Intel right now is kinda bad IMO. Your example is kinda funny, because in technical terms, the 2500k still beats the 6600k at the highest reacheable stable clock.
(and for the record, getting a 1155 socket motherboard is nightmarish right now, since the only ones left are defective models and used and abused second hands)

Going AMD over Intel at any time is a bad choice, they've been inferior for years and that gap is only getting worse as a number of games (including some big name ones) over the last year or two have had big performance problems on AMD machines.

Variant
May 2, 2016, 02:50 PM
See if you can spring for a 960, or wait until Computex at the end of may for the announcement on the new cards and see if we get price drops or sweet sales. 960s are really solid if you can pick them up during sales.

If you're going budget, see if you can find some sweet deals on /r/hardwareswap. YMMV, but as long as it isn't a drive, it's probably OK. Picking up a 4790k + mobo for like 300$ is pretty solid.

Sizustar
May 2, 2016, 02:53 PM
Going AMD over Intel at any time is a bad choice, they've been inferior for years and that gap is only getting worse as a number of games (including some big name ones) over the last year or two have had big performance problems on AMD machines.

Are you sure that's CPU issue and not GPU?

Since from what I remember, it was Nvidia Gamework that was causing more problem, even with older Nvidia card, due to them forcing calculation using CUDA core that doesn't actually help gaming graphic or calculation, but only their flagship chip are capable of.

Shoterxx
May 2, 2016, 03:00 PM

Except Intel has been dropping the ball lately. AMD has always lagged behind, but steadilly improving, while Intel just stagnated when it comes to i5 and i3 since ever. And according to recent news, it shall get worse: http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/222590-an-end-to-scaling-intels-next-generation-chips-will-sacrifice-speed-to-reduce-power

And thus, I shall remain with my 2500k forever.

lostinseganet
May 2, 2016, 07:06 PM
Teh next gen futures are comming so soon wait to buy. 14nm and nvidas new stuff will make all prices decrease.

Tunga
May 2, 2016, 07:53 PM
Any FX Processor is a waste of money.

Buy any cheap i3 and upgrade it later when people change platform and sell their used CPU's on Ebay for cheap. Or just push it a little and buy directly an i5 and keep it forever

uh upgrading an I3 to an I5 is also a waste because the price will still reach I7 level. And also Intel changes socket every arch so no more upgrading aside from kaby lake. AM3+ is still an ancient platform tho, better just keep saving more money OP and get something better later it's worth it. If you cant wait then go for a 6th gen I3 with fast DDR4 (like 2666+) at the minimum.

Also everyone recommending 960 but why not the 380 since it's superior and same price range?

Selphea
May 2, 2016, 07:58 PM
Still curious and minor threadjack - does AMD have an equivalent to Inspector that works for PSO2? I remember back in PSU, RadeonPro AA didn't work for me.

On the OP's rig, next gen GPUs should be coming in 2 months. Since the chosen GPU is fairly low end though, there likely won't be a replacement but a price drop is possible.

Also, why 16gb ram rather than better graphics? Ram is easier to upgrade at a later date.

Anduril
May 2, 2016, 08:05 PM
Also everyone recommending 960 but why not the 380 since it's superior and same price range?
I had to return my 380; apparently, there is a chance that it will blackscreen as soon as the drivers load (including the most up-to-date ones). Ended up happening on my build, and nothing AMD support had me do was able to fix the issue.

Sizustar
May 2, 2016, 08:08 PM
Still curious and minor threadjack - does AMD have an equivalent to Inspector that works for PSO2? I remember back in PSU, RadeonPro AA didn't work for me.

On the OP's rig, next gen GPUs should be coming in 2 months. Since the chosen GPU is fairly low end though, there likely won't be a replacement but a price drop is possible.

Also, why 16gb ram rather than better graphics? Ram is easier to upgrade at a later date.

Radeon Pro and Reshade, although they also work with Nvidia GPU.

It's just in this game that the RadeonPro AA doesn't work as well as Nvidia Inspector AA bit.

red1228
May 2, 2016, 08:59 PM
I had to return my 380; apparently, there is a chance that it will blackscreen as soon as the drivers load (including the most up-to-date ones). Ended up happening on my build, and nothing AMD support had me do was able to fix the issue.

Not to be a stick in the mud (everyone's experiences vary, of course) but I've been quite happy with my 4GB Gigabyte R9 380 with no issues (Yes I know the 4GB is a waste nine times out of ten, but I got this specific model on sale for $174.99).

Sizustar
May 2, 2016, 09:16 PM
Not to be a stick in the mud (everyone's experiences vary, of course) but I've been quite happy with my 4GB Gigabyte R9 380 with no issues (Yes I know the 4GB is a waste nine times out of ten, but I got this specific model on sale for $174.99).

It's a very good card, especially for DX12 if benchmark and info is correct, but PSO2's AO and AA is slanted toward Nvidia, as AMD card would have to rely on Reshade/RadeonPro to tweak it.

red1228
May 2, 2016, 09:23 PM
...but PSO2's AO and AA is slanted toward Nvidia, as AMD card would have to rely on Reshade/RadeonPro to tweak it.

I never did get the SweetFX or ReShade to work on my rig (tried SweetFX on my old R9 270 & ReShade on my current R9 380). Even when following the guides posted here & actually reading each post to see if there might be something I missed. :-?

Oh well... I can always try Team Green's Pascel cards for my next upgrade.

Selphea
May 2, 2016, 09:31 PM
RadeonPro AA doesn't work as well as Nvidia Inspector AA bit.

;_; sounds like a GTX 1070 for my next card then, thanks!

Anduril
May 2, 2016, 10:35 PM
Oh, I know; it was more of an anecdote on why I wouldn't be able to personally recommend a 380, as I was unable to get it to work in my build. That is the thing with PCs, sometimes certain builds and certain components have unforeseeable and non-immediate solutions (my particular issue has apparently been around for quite some time with no real solution for the small subsection of consumers who encounter it [it persists even if you switch it for another 380]), and it can vary person to person.

Keilyn
May 2, 2016, 11:08 PM
The point of building a gaming computer is not to play a current game, but to play one that is in development later. Spending money to get a quick fix on a system for a single game is not a good idea. PSO2 is from 2012 and the next generation is VR Gaming.

I am a tester for some VR Gaming Projects out there... Both Commerical and Independent. Trust me when I say that if you build for PSO2, you will truly be out of the rain in a year or two. Building a computer means having some knowledge of the future in hand prior to doing so.

Perhaps a Console might be better in your case for a quick fix.

Tunga
May 2, 2016, 11:10 PM
;_; sounds like a GTX 1070 for my next card then, thanks!

I heard this one will come with 7.5 GB of memory and 0.5 GB extra as a feature :D
Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Selphea
May 3, 2016, 12:03 AM
I heard this one will come with 7.5 GB of memory and 0.5 GB extra as a feature :D
Sorry, couldn't help myself.

That's called a PR stunt!

Also i think AMD started it with softmoddable cards and cpus :p

Shoterxx
May 3, 2016, 06:39 AM
The point of building a gaming computer is not to play a current game, but to play one that is in development later. Spending money to get a quick fix on a system for a single game is not a good idea. PSO2 is from 2012 and the next generation is VR Gaming.

I am a tester for some VR Gaming Projects out there... Both Commerical and Independent. Trust me when I say that if you build for PSO2, you will truly be out of the rain in a year or two. Building a computer means having some knowledge of the future in hand prior to doing so.

That only applies if you're going all out. If I understood the OP correctly, he's on a rather tight budget. Also, just telling "just wait X months so you can save money" means that he'll have to wait X months without playing properly.

He doesn't want/can't afford a beastly end-tier machine, he wants a budget-gaming build. The FX 6300 + 8GB RAM + 950 combo should be able to run any game decently for the next 2-3 years, while potentially costing him less than $250 altogether, if you get some deals out of it.

@OP:
Just realized, what motherboard do you have/are you getting?

Ryuuguu
May 3, 2016, 06:56 AM

VR gaming isn't going to be even remotely relevant anytime soon. This is terrible advice.

Selphea
May 3, 2016, 07:05 AM
My concerns with the 6300 are that it's a very old chip and i don't foresee FXs being around for very long after Zen is released. If the 6300 croaks say... 2-3 years later it'll be a PITA to replace. Also there's hidden costs i.e. replacing the stock fan because it runs hot and AMD's stock fan is very noisy.

SteveCZ
May 3, 2016, 07:08 AM
AMD Processor = Get a new CPU fan. Hyper EVO 212 is also one of the best suggestion. Trust me (and anyone suggested), or you'll literally suffer for the rest of your AMD processor's life.

dr apocalipsis
May 3, 2016, 09:00 AM
uh upgrading an I3 to an I5 is also a waste because the price will still reach I7 level. And also Intel changes socket every arch so no more upgrading aside from kaby lake. AM3+ is still an ancient platform tho, better just keep saving more money OP and get something better later it's worth it. If you cant wait then go for a 6th gen I3 with fast DDR4 (like 2666+) at the minimum.

Ancient 775 boards can get Xeon Quads for 25 bucks that smokes anything AMD can offer right now IPC wise once you overclock them to 4ghz and beyond. 1366 boards can get Xeon Hexacores that stomps anything AMD can offer, IPC and multithreaded -and canibalize current desktop Intel offerings-. LGA1155 is starting to get cheap Xeons aswell, and this trend will continue as large enterprises move to newer Xeons and keep flooding second hand market with old Xeons.

Then, AM3 socket is pretty much dead with old and pretty unefficient 32nm Vishera architecture as a dead end.

When I said i3 was an option I was referring for a later upgrade to Xeon/i7. If you buy directly an i5 there wouldn't be any need for any upgrade in several years, since CPU performance is increasing very slowly nowadays.

Qualia
May 3, 2016, 09:26 AM
tfw you have an fx-8350

No regrets

sol_trigger
May 3, 2016, 10:02 AM
does PSO2 even need 4ghz OC...

AyImAndrew
May 3, 2016, 10:09 AM
Changing CPU to i5 and GPU to 960.
RAM 16 ---> 8GB
This is the most conclusive thing i can come up with since an i5 is highly recommended on this thread. It will be a bit more yes but i can manage it since college isn't kicking my butt right now with expenses .

Qualia
May 3, 2016, 10:11 AM
Lol wait which i5?

Keilyn
May 3, 2016, 10:31 AM
That only applies if you're going all out. If I understood the OP correctly, he's on a rather tight budget. Also, just telling "just wait X months so you can save money" means that he'll have to wait X months without playing properly.

He doesn't want/can't afford a beastly end-tier machine, he wants a budget-gaming build. The FX 6300 + 8GB RAM + 950 combo should be able to run any game decently for the next 2-3 years, while potentially costing him less than $250 altogether, if you get some deals out of it.

@OP:
Just realized, what motherboard do you have/are you getting?

I had written a long post and when I proofed it, I realized that I was sinking to a lower level than yourself. I hope one day you grow and discover that perception plays a big role in aiding and assisting others, especially in diagnostics.. After spending over 20 years in computer science, and going to school for it; I find myself at a loss of words in reading this thread.

If this were ten years ago, I would have flamed you and turned your logic inside and out and completely devoured your words. Though I tire of always having to be the one to be dark enough to represent what honesty and tough love is supposed to be like.

@OP

You are free to follow the advice of the many living on the internet. Please consider if the interests people express in their desire to render aid is in your best interest, or in theirs.

I take my leave from this thread
~Keilyn

SteveCZ
May 3, 2016, 11:02 AM
*snip*

lol, what?

@op
i5 would be fine.
8 GB is fine too, PSO2 can only use up to 4 GB anyway at best (32 bit game).

Tunga
May 3, 2016, 11:35 AM
. replacing the stock fan because it runs hot and AMD's stock fan is very noisy.

Did you guys notice they replaced the heatsink and fan months ago? It's levels above what the shitty intel one offers.

WORST
May 3, 2016, 01:23 PM
I had written a long post and when I proofed it, I realized that I was sinking to a lower level than yourself. I hope one day you grow and discover that perception plays a big role in aiding and assisting others, especially in diagnostics.. After spending over 20 years in computer science, and going to school for it; I find myself at a loss of words in reading this thread.

If this were ten years ago, I would have flamed you and turned your logic inside and out and completely devoured your words. Though I tire of always having to be the one to be dark enough to represent what honesty and tough love is supposed to be like.

@OP

You are free to follow the advice of the many living on the internet. Please consider if the interests people express in their desire to render aid is in your best interest, or in theirs.

~Keilyn

Watch your words guys, you never know when Keilyn will lose their cool and blow. I can't imagine not having self control. What's it like?

dr apocalipsis
May 3, 2016, 04:46 PM
tfw you have an fx-8350

No regrets

Enjoy your 8320 expensive edition.

Did you guys notice they replaced the heatsink and fan months ago? It's levels above what the shitty intel one offers.

Same 2012 old crap, now with more cooler!

Shoterxx
May 3, 2016, 06:19 PM

@OP

~Keilyn

Honesty does not mean adequacy.
Tough love does not mean refusal.
Experience does not mean righteousness.

I do appreciate the thought, but looking trough the window of those who need, but cannot afford better, your solution did not meet the requirements and, therefore, refuted it.

@OP

You said you were changing your CPU. Do you have a motherboard with that socket? Are you accounting the price/features of a new one? You could be buying something that you'll regret later.

Selphea
May 3, 2016, 06:38 PM

You mean this one? http://betanews.com/2016/04/22/amd-fx-8350-6350-wraith-cooler/

2 weeks ago and not for the 6300. Even for a 6350, only 2 weeks into the market means if you buy online it's RNG to see if you get old stock or new.

Variant
May 3, 2016, 06:57 PM
Yo, OP, you should honestly just do what I do and shop around for sweet deals on /r/hardwareswap or ebay (maximize yo' Bang Per Dollar).

If you're on a budget and want new parts with a reasonable upgrade path? Grab a socket LGA1150 mobo + either a G3258 (at like 70$ new with OC potential it's neat, but having only 2 logical/physical cores is eh, would not recommend for long term), or some i3/i5.

I would personally recommend doing this:
1. Buy something for under 100$ (new or used) now in the 4th gen i3/i5 range
2. You already have a case and everything, so use the money saved to amp up your GPU to at least a 960/R9 380 range
3. Upgrade to a 4790k later when you have more dollars.
4. Sell and upgrade your GPU later if you want

I actually have a new build I just finished with a GTX 960 4GB that I picked up refurb for 150$ + a G3258 overclocked to 4.6 GHz (70$) + a Gigabyte GA-Z97M-DS3H mobo I picked up for 27$ at Fry's and the rest are just some standard parts I had lying around (put about 16 GB of RAM in there).

I plan on doing to it exactly what I recommended to you (upgrading the CPU to a 4790k when I find a deal, and probably selling the 960 to a buddy to upgrade to the new cards when Computex rolls around at the end of may and Nvidia announces new things).

The beauty of it is, there's a market for all these used parts so you'll generally always be able to recoup some of your costs as you upgrade.

I do recommend you try to grab things with at least 8 logical threads because uh, it turns out parallelization is pretty prominent in a lot of modern software development (including games, e.g. FO4).

And this is just my personal bias, but I tend to steer clear from AMD CPUs/APUs. Maybe they'll turn things around with the help of TSMC's 14nm process, but consistency outweighs potential so I'm sticking with Intel until I get some solid reason to believe that AMD can deliver.

Tunga
May 3, 2016, 06:57 PM
Same 2012 old crap, now with more cooler!

The FX are shit but the cooler is great for something that comes bundled in. Honestly it looks like the FX was the testing ground for Zen. Still hope they don't go the Intel route and use shitty TIM.

SteveCZ
May 3, 2016, 10:16 PM
I think the OP has already stated that he'll get an i5 for now.

Watch your words guys, you never know when Keilyn will lose their cool and blow. I can't imagine not having self control. What's it like?

You're saying he can't handle himself like an adult? Geez.

Qualia
May 3, 2016, 11:55 PM
Enjoy your 8320 expensive edition.

Wasn't very expensive lol