PDA

View Full Version : PSO2 SEGA working on solutions for PSO2 to the West.

Totori
May 4, 2016, 11:03 PM
Ahh that's just music to my ears, I want an english version so badly I can taste it.

http://www.seganerds.com/2016/05/04/sega-working-on-solutions-for-phantasy-star-online-2-to-west/

BlackAlphaG
May 4, 2016, 11:06 PM
http://i.imgur.com/ltl59eW.gif

SteveCZ
May 4, 2016, 11:06 PM
sigh .

Skye-Fox713
May 4, 2016, 11:12 PM
http://i.imgur.com/ltl59eW.gif

indeed

DrCatco
May 4, 2016, 11:47 PM
I really feel like Sega is using PSO2 as a test subject for different ideas of how to manage an online game, like the star gems, layered costumes, NT weapons, shaders, etc., rather than fixing problems like the game unbalance, database errors, mechanics, etc.

ZerotakerZX
May 4, 2016, 11:56 PM
Who cares?

Ahh that's just music to my ears, I want an english version so badly I can taste it.

http://www.seganerds.com/2016/05/04/sega-working-on-solutions-for-phantasy-star-online-2-to-west/

There is eng ver, but its so outdated, that nobody cares. US/EU servers gonna be the same.

pkemr4
May 5, 2016, 12:04 AM
its far to late for there to be a english release. story wise and content wise.

Shadowstarkirby
May 5, 2016, 12:14 AM
Again, too little, too late. People who continue to cling hopeful for this "delayed" game to be localized is beyond understanding.

Totori
May 5, 2016, 12:15 AM
Oh boy, you peeps are like really hopeful for PSO2's future, even with it being behind. I just want that english~

sparab
May 5, 2016, 12:17 AM
Breaking news: localized PSO2 removed smart inner

TheszNuts
May 5, 2016, 12:20 AM
This changes nothing, all that response does is reword its delayed.

risaxseph
May 5, 2016, 12:30 AM
I've proposed this solution before as have many before me. If SEGA has any intent at ALL PERIOD on making an English accessible version of the game then make GLOBAL servers; keep them at the same patch level, provide Japanese and English customer support and billing options then just use the client the community has already made. Simple solution; requires absolutely no effort on their part and they get "free" money. Legalities are a thing but if they are so intent on releasing west do it that way or no one will play and we will just have a repeat of PSU.

Shadowstarkirby
May 5, 2016, 12:32 AM
Yeah, you'll get an official English release, but you'll also get this watered down Western version, probably with no boob slider, no sexy wear, stupefied dialogue changes or cuts, and also be years behind JP version. Localization may as well be synonymous with censorship these days. It's not really a nice thing anymore, y'know?

If one wants to play the game in English, just do it already. Like right now, seriously. It's not perfect, but get around what's not translated well using online sources.

Selphea
May 5, 2016, 12:36 AM
Drawer Statement. (http://www.ehow.com/facts_7585553_drawer-statement.html)

risaxseph
May 5, 2016, 12:40 AM
Drawer Statement. (http://www.ehow.com/facts_7585553_drawer-statement.html)

"We are sorry that our employee caused you to become sad that our game is delayed... Oh wait DELAYED... U mad!"

Zyrusticae
May 5, 2016, 01:02 AM
Yeah, you'll get an official English release, but you'll also get this watered down Western version, probably with no boob slider, no sexy wear, stupefied dialogue changes or cuts, and also be years behind JP version. Localization may as well be synonymous with censorship these days. It's not really a nice thing anymore, y'know?
1. Localization changes are not censorship

2. SEGA is not Nintendo of America

3. :roll:

Shadowstarkirby
May 5, 2016, 01:17 AM
1. Localization changes are not censorship

2. SEGA is not Nintendo of America

3. :roll:

There's a growing trend of it becoming just that if you had been looking at a lot of recent titles lately.

Biggest relevant example is Blade and Soul (https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/3twutd/censorship_blade_and_soul_censorship_approaching/), an MMORPG that got released some months ago and got hit by "localization" bullshit as well. You shouldn't be rolling your eyes and dusting it off as an "NoA" problem, it's a legit concern.

Altiea
May 5, 2016, 01:39 AM
problem is they still hold up, if anything your just attention whoring at this point

I'm pretty sure he always has.

ArcaneTechs
May 5, 2016, 01:40 AM
I'm pretty sure he always has.
ya and its a shame im enabling it

Sirius-91
May 5, 2016, 01:44 AM
All I would want is PSO2es to be part of that thing, so I can be lazy and use their translations.

landman
May 5, 2016, 01:45 AM
If a western version EVER exist, I'm ok if Episode 4 is never released in it lol

ArcaneTechs
May 5, 2016, 01:47 AM
If they are trash then why are you on a fan forum for them talking to fans of the game... Just putting that out there...
same reason why ppl play the SEA version just for the Eng translation over the downloading the patch for JP. We just dont know

Felmyst
May 5, 2016, 01:50 AM
I seen this article too before coming here. Honestly it cannot be bad news. But this is nit a promise so getting hopes is rather pointless. I am happy playing the JP version, prices are good. Collabs are great, people are chill.

Western population is good for one thing. Infiliating prices to terribad prices. So market would suck pretty much all the time.

NCSoft West worked during years for Blade and Soul and game if finally out in the west. So something may or may not happen. Again, getting hopes up does sound pointless to me. I would probably stick to JP anyway if it comes out in west and support Aida and Cyberkitsune if they are to keep working onto JP version in the secenario western release nappens. If not, Tweaker project stop the I would consider a pso2 west.

This is a pure fictif scenario, but also what I think,

ArcaneTechs
May 5, 2016, 01:52 AM
how many people play pso2 in japan? last few times i installed it there were hardly any game rooms and people in lobby except once when i think an event was going on.
Ya better backpedal and pretend your suddenly interested in giving the game a chance again

SteveCZ
May 5, 2016, 01:53 AM
Keep biting folks.

Enforcer MKV
May 5, 2016, 01:56 AM
ya and its a shame im enabling it

So stop responding to him. Ignore list is there for a reason.

ArcaneTechs
May 5, 2016, 01:58 AM
So stop responding to him. Block list is there for a reason.
cant, its too much

Altiea
May 5, 2016, 02:00 AM
cant, its too much

Too much what?

ArcaneTechs
May 5, 2016, 02:03 AM
Too much what?
Too much salt, its salt from all the years this guy has complained about pso2 being trash but still comes to PS forums just to complain about it some more

SilkaN
May 5, 2016, 02:41 AM
I am hoping that they'll aim for a final solution and completely eradicate any chances of this game coming to the west.

Zeroem
May 5, 2016, 02:46 AM
With or without the PR words, it won't changed much of what would happened. It's either would never see the light, or badly presented (past cases is always there for us to gaze around.). If this is actual words and not PR, good for those who are still waiting.......for some reason. If this is just PR words, no surprises at all.

[Ayumi]
May 5, 2016, 03:22 AM
I've proposed this solution before as have many before me. If SEGA has any intent at ALL PERIOD on making an English accessible version of the game then make GLOBAL servers; keep them at the same patch level, provide Japanese and English customer support and billing options then just use the client the community has already made. Simple solution; requires absolutely no effort on their part and they get "free" money. Legalities are a thing but if they are so intent on releasing west do it that way or no one will play and we will just have a repeat of PSU.

Yeah and then get certain people you have collabs with that has no licensing in certain countries or don't want to license certain things outside of Japan to get mad at Sega. Sounds perfect.

Yeah, you'll get an official English release, but you'll also get this watered down Western version
Yup.

Probably with no boob slider
This is one reason I didn't get the new Xenoblade. Not the main, but one of the reasons. Don't see why I'm not allowed to make flat chested characters if I wanted to.

No sexy wear
I can 100% live without this as I already do in PSO2.

Stupefied dialogue changes or cuts
It would still be the same as the dialogue in this game is... eh...

Also be years behind JP version.
100% confirmed without even being confirmed. Happened since 2000 to um... PSU died in 2011 right?

Localization may as well be synonymous with censorship these days. It's not really a nice thing anymore, y'know?
Yup.

If one wants to play the game in English, just do it already. Like right now, seriously. It's not perfect, but get around what's not translated well using online sources.
This.

Keilyn
May 5, 2016, 06:35 AM
wow...this thread just suddenly popped out of nowhere......
.....and ???? even after reading it, I felt like I missed something aside from my IQ dropping into the negatives... can someone clarify?

gabor100
May 5, 2016, 06:42 AM
If you want to play it in english without fan patch just go and play the SEA version.

I highly doubt that we will get a better version.

Ziel
May 5, 2016, 07:18 AM
I would be completely and legit mad if west gets a "SEA" version, the western version would have to start from ep 1, my 13* farming luck has been horrible and im finally starting to get some (eggs aside :sleepy:), i would never ever drop the things i earned here including the insane amount of costumes, to start from scratch just because 100% translation, not to mention the fact that all but sega-made scratches wont cut it, maybe some of the collabs will but not all.

What in the current translation makes the game unplayable? the fact that you cant understand operators messages on "this magatsu is weak to melee only, pls dont shoot on AIS"?

Some of us dont support the western release now because we see how SEA is "managed", we know we would have to start over if we even decide to play on our legit region and some of us will get screwed with ip blocks, what if it gets released as NA-only? do the rest of us from europe or south america have to be screwed over?

2 years ago i went "fuq this" and lurked how to play pso2jp with or whitout english patches, simply because i accepted it wasnt coming to the west and now even if it do releases, i will still keep playing in jp, whoever wants to play this game, likes it and follows it, its already doing it and unless they one shot magatsu or loser, i highly doubt they are "done" with the game and would start over.

vbetts
May 5, 2016, 07:22 AM
If the west ever got a localized version of PSO2, it would be so different.

EQ times, what's available, content, updates, community, the economy in PSO2, everything. Sure when it is eventually released in the West it'll probably have all the content the current JP version has, but looking at the past with PSO and PSU I could see the western version falling behind quickly.

I wouldn't want or care about a western release at this point. I've put so much time in my jp account, and others have put time and money into their accounts as well so to Sega I say too little, too late.

Seijass
May 5, 2016, 07:29 AM
If the west ever got a localized version of PSO2, it would be so different.

EQ times, what's available, content, updates, community, the economy in PSO2, everything. Sure when it is eventually released in the West it'll probably have all the content the current JP version has, but looking at the past with PSO and PSU I could see the western version falling behind quick.

Are you denying the existence of SEA TW TH or what

If so, although I kinda understand the sentiment, it won't. Old content and collabs licensing.

Z-0
May 5, 2016, 07:32 AM
I want a US/EU version because it would probably be more fun than the JP version. The JP version is not fun, it might be more updated but that doesn't make it a "better version", I feel it's getting far less enjoyable over time.

The guy who said people hardly play the JP is exactly right, by the way. There are no games up for people to join and nobody "just plays" the game and sits around waiting for EQs. There might be a lot of people on but that isn't synonymous with people actually playing and not idling. (though I can't imagine it'd be much different elsewhere honestly unless they overhauled the game in some aspects like western BDO did)

ClarkDV
May 5, 2016, 07:54 AM
I happen to be the one that tweeted that to them, and got mentioned in their video! Haha. The reason I want a western release is because its pure. EVERYTHING in the game will be english, you don't have to screw around and patch it and stuff. I don't think Sega would have made ANY mention of the game yesterday if they had no intent of bringing it west. They hadn't said a word about it in about 2 years, and if they wanted people to forget it ever happened they would never say a word about it again, not make a big public statement. Plus, I think the game coming to PS4 is a clue it may come to the West, as we have tens of millions of PS4s, way more than Japan has. And just like the Valkyria Remaster, I believe it was Sega's intent to make that a safe way of localizing a game. With Sony's building the list initiative that got us the likes of Shenmue 3 and Yakuza 5 and 0, I don't see how this is any different. I have tweeted Gio Corsi (Localization director for Playstation) and he is aware that we all want it here. If Sega is working "behind the scenes" as Dan said in the video then this could very well be it. There was rumors that Sega Japan had a deal with SEA that the game couldn't be released on PC any where else for an untold amount of time, but bringing it to PS4 would bypass this entirely. That's my two cents.

Seijass
May 5, 2016, 07:56 AM
I happen to be the one that tweeted that to them, and got mentioned in their video! Haha. The reason I want a western release is because its pure. EVERYTHING in the game will be english, you don't have to screw around and patch it and stuff. I don't think Sega would have made ANY mention of the game yesterday if they had no intent of bringing it west. They hadn't said a word about it in about 2 years, and if they wanted people to forget it ever happened they would never say a word about it again, not make a big public statement. Plus, I think the game coming to PS4 is a clue it may come to the West, as we have tens of millions of PS4s, way more than Japan has. And just like the Valkyria Remaster, I believe it was Sega's intent to make that a safe way of localizing a game. With Sony's building the list initiative that got us the likes of Shenmue 3 and Yakuza 5 and 0, I don't see how this is any different. I have tweeted Gio Corsi (Localization director for Playstation) and he is aware that we all want it here. If Sega is working "behind the scenes" as Dan said in the video then this could very well be it. There was rumors that Sega Japan had a deal with SEA that the game couldn't be released on PC any where else for an untold amount of time, but bringing it to PS4 would bypass this entirely. That's my two cents.

Such optimism.

If your boat's floating then...

you don't have to screw around and patch it and stuff

Well "screwing around" with the JP version isn't a must, you know. Just those who needs translation or connection bypassing.

matt4394
May 5, 2016, 07:56 AM

You go ahead and play a version with content that's a year behind. I'll still be here enjoying the exact same game with updated content. You do realize if sega DOES make an NA version, they won't put hardly any effort into it. it happened with every other phantasy star. Just stop dreaming, and enjoy the game as it is.

IMACOP
May 5, 2016, 07:58 AM
I'm sure if the west gets it, it'll be a completely outdated version. But, please don't say it'll be as bad as SEA version. SEA anything is the worst of the worst of the worst.

Seijass
May 5, 2016, 08:00 AM
I'm sure if the west gets it, it'll be a completely outdated version. But, please don't say it'll be as bad as SEA version. SEA anything is the worst of the worst of the worst.

I'll just sit back and enjoy if they decided to implement compgacha just like the rest since it's still not inside Japan.

Though, good for you if there's a US law preventing that, I guess.

Petunia
May 5, 2016, 08:00 AM
"Solution".
Doesn't sound like they're 'bringing it' to the west, more like they're looking into ways to officially welcome Western players to the Japanese version of PSO2, like perhaps offering in-game language options (like how more recent Pokemon releases offer every single language option, regardless of what region you buy it in).
Which really, that's what they SHOULD do. They should know full well that none of us will move to a Western PSO2 server, and they also should know the backlash they'll receive if they try to block western IPs should they release a Western version in an attempt to force us to play it (I'm a Whale, I'd be MEGA pissed). If they don't know these, then they have absolutely no connection to their player base.

Just get some tiny localization team in SEGA NA or SEGA EU to translate the game, if a handful of dedicated fans can do it for free I'm sure they can pay minimum wage to some newbie employees to translate the game's text. Then offer an English website and the ability to officially make an account (like using a western address, with the ability to change your address and settings if you're already a Westerner playing with false details) and slap a big warning that THE SERVERS ARE IN JAPAN, THUS YOU MAY EXPERIENCE LAG AND CONNECTION ISSUES.

Done. PSO2 is now "solved" for the west for minimum muns and SEGA gets to rape a couple more wallets.

landman
May 5, 2016, 08:04 AM
"Solution".
Doesn't sound like they're 'bringing it' to the west, more like they're looking into ways to officially welcome Western players to the Japanese version of PSO2, like perhaps offering in-game language options (like how more recent Pokemon releases offer every single language option, regardless of what region you buy it in).
Which really, that's what they SHOULD do. They should know full well that none of us will move to a Western PSO2 server, and they also should know the backlash they'll receive if they try to block western IPs should they release a Western version in an attempt to force us to play it (I'm a Whale, I'd be MEGA pissed). If they don't know these, then they have absolutely no connection to their player base.

Just get some tiny localization team in SEGA NA or SEGA EU to translate the game, if a handful of dedicated fans can do it for free I'm sure they can pay minimum wage to some newbie employees to translate the game's text. Then offer an English website and the ability to officially make an account (like using a western address) and slap a big warning that THE SERVERS ARE IN JAPAN, THUS YOU MAY EXPERIENCE LAG AND CONNECTION ISSUES.

Done. PSO2 is now "solved" for the west for minimum muns and SEGA gets to rape a couple more wallets.

They can't do that because that would infringe all the collaboration contracts they have signed and paid in the last 4 years, they are only allowed to use that content in Japan, "opening" the server would mean new contracts, and more money, this is the ONE solution they will never do. Period.

And seriously, people that has waited 4 years, do you people think they care if the game is outdated?? if it was for me, PSO2 WITHOUT episode 4 is a better game than with it LOL

matt4394
May 5, 2016, 08:04 AM
"Solution".

Just get some tiny localization team in SEGA NA or SEGA EU to translate the game, if a handful of dedicated fans can do it for free I'm sure they can pay minimum wage to some newbie employees to translate the game's text. Then offer an English website and the ability to officially make an account (like using a western address, with the ability to change your address and settings if you're already a Westerner playing with false details) and slap a big warning that THE SERVERS ARE IN JAPAN, THUS YOU MAY EXPERIENCE LAG AND CONNECTION ISSUES.

wow, the first post in this thread that actually makes logical sense.

TehCubey
May 5, 2016, 08:05 AM
I want a US/EU version because it would probably be more fun than the JP version. The JP version is not fun, it might be more updated but that doesn't make it a "better version", I feel it's getting far less enjoyable over time.

That's nostalgia speaking for you buddy. The game wasn't any better back then, but it was new for you so everything seemed fresh and exciting.

Raujinn
May 5, 2016, 08:11 AM

The guy who said people hardly play the JP is exactly right, by the way. There are no games up for people to join and nobody "just plays" the game and sits around waiting for EQs. There might be a lot of people on but that isn't synonymous with people actually playing and not idling. (though I can't imagine it'd be much different elsewhere honestly unless they overhauled the game in some aspects like western BDO did)

I'm agreeing with Z-0 on this and I think this is something people generally aren't taking into account while tumbling over each other to laugh at the "optimists". Given that the SEA version of the game was a significantly worse experience on the "P2W" scale (I'm not debating what is and isnt P2W. Everyone's standards are different there, however I am arguing that SEA is worse off than JP for this what with costume abilities, gacha complete prizes and AC Spend rankings...) and the game itself also had different balancing (not talking about class so much, enemies hit a lot stronger) plus a number of other changes.... What I'm saying is it's actually up in the air as to what changes might be made for the game and there's a real possibility (however slim) that the US version might actually be superior to the JP one.

Imagine for the sake of argument that the cash shop was even less imposing on the US one. Imagine if instead of Gacha you could directly buy from the AC catalogue? Imagine if shop trading was free? That item upgrading and affixing was a simpler much less convoluted system? Imagine if skill tree resets were free? Naturally I'm only suggesting things that would appeal TO ME (and theres plenty more) but what I'm saying is that a theoretical US version might actually be a more enjoyable experience to some people than the JP one. Naturally, even with all the changes that'd appeal to some for the rest they'd be happier remaining with JP and there's nothing wrong with that.

Of course a US is still never happening so all we can do is speculate.

EvilMag
May 5, 2016, 08:16 AM
That's nostalgia speaking for you buddy. The game wasn't any better back then, but it was new for you so everything seemed fresh and exciting.

not really. game was a lot better back when VHAQs was the most relevant content. You could actually buy/sell the most relevant gear (no falz 11/12* don't count those were non existent) so no more having that extremely rare item that you didn't want rot in your bank. You actually made meseta off of it. AQs is the closet we have to content I want in PSO2. Actual progression not running in circles and being 4 players.

matt4394
May 5, 2016, 08:18 AM
not really. game was a lot better back when VHAQs was the most relevant content. You could actually buy/sell the most relevant gear (no falz 11/12* don't count those were non existent) so no more having that extremely rare item that you didn't want rot in your bank. You actually made meseta off of it. AQs is the closet we have to content I want in PSO2. Actual progression not running in circles and being 4 players.

Thank god you don't actually have to play a game if you don't like it.

vbetts
May 5, 2016, 08:18 AM
Are you denying the existence of SEA TW TH or what

If so, although I kinda understand the sentiment, it won't. Old content and collabs licensing.

SEA region PSO2 proves my point exactly.

However, still a different case. The SEA version is managed by Play Park, where as a western version would be managed by Sega of Europe and/or US. I can kind of see why the SEA version has older content, horrible translations, and bad economy due to that fact alone. I feel like most of those situations would happen in a western PSO2 release.

ClarkDV
May 5, 2016, 08:19 AM
You go ahead and play a version with content that's a year behind. I'll still be here enjoying the exact same game with updated content. You do realize if sega DOES make an NA version, they won't put hardly any effort into it. it happened with every other phantasy star. Just stop dreaming, and enjoy the game as it is.

I'd rather play the game as a lagging behind version that Sega doesn't care about than tinker with the JP version. I just want things to feel natural, forcing myself into the JP game when I can't speak a lick of Japanese is not a good way for me to enjoy the game. I'm either not playing it, or getting an official release.

TaigaUC
May 5, 2016, 08:19 AM
I don't really see how a US/EU version would be more fun. It's still the same game.
Lack of content is still lack of content. But don't worry, SEGA still has another 6 years of PSO2 planned.

I don't see how AQ is progression. It's the same as regular quest to me.
Run around, kill stuff. Pick up loot. Bam, done.

I guess you guys get fun out of re-earning stuff all over again with new people or something.
That kind of thing doesn't appeal to me.

landman
May 5, 2016, 08:21 AM
I'm agreeing with Z-0 on this and I think this is something people generally aren't taking into account while tumbling over each other to laugh at the "optimists". Given that the SEA version of the game was a significantly worse experience on the "P2W" scale (I'm not debating what is and isnt P2W. Everyone's standards are different there, however I am arguing that SEA is worse off than JP for this what with costume abilities, gacha complete prizes and AC Spend rankings...) and the game itself also had different balancing (not talking about class so much, enemies hit a lot stronger) plus a number of other changes.... What I'm saying is it's actually up in the air as to what changes might be made for the game and there's a real possibility (however slim) that the US version might actually be superior to the JP one.

Imagine for the sake of argument that the cash shop was even less imposing on the US one. Imagine if instead of Gacha you could directly buy from the AC catalogue? Imagine if shop trading was free? That item upgrading and affixing was a simpler much less convoluted system? Imagine if skill tree resets were free? Naturally I'm only suggesting things that would appeal TO ME (and theres plenty more) but what I'm saying is that a theoretical US version might actually be a more enjoyable experience to some people than the JP one. Naturally, even with all the changes that'd appeal to some for the rest they'd be happier remaining with JP and there's nothing wrong with that.

Of course a US is still never happening so all we can do is speculate.

This is a very optimistic way of seeing it, and it "could" happen, the problem is... they will release the game, only a few thousand players will download (or buy) it, and they will stop supporting it because it will not be worth doing it. That's of course my totally made up guess, It is to expect that a multinational company like Sega has market studies to support their decisions... like making the same PR statement for the past 3 years with some changed words instead of saying they cancelled it long ago and have really no plans to bring it here.

matt4394
May 5, 2016, 08:23 AM
I'd rather play the game as a lagging behind version that Sega doesn't care about than tinker with the JP version. I just want things to feel natural, forcing myself into the JP game when I can't speak a lick of Japanese is not a good way for me to enjoy the game. I'm either not playing it, or getting an official release.

don't play then. I wouldn't hold your breath for this so called "NA release"

TaigaUC
May 5, 2016, 08:24 AM
I just looked at that article and it's just a random guy on Twitter being super vague and inconclusive.
There's no point if they're not going to show some solid evidence that it's confirmed.

EvilMag
May 5, 2016, 08:24 AM
I remember prior to Edward getting canned from SoA, he did mention that they were planning on doing changes to PSO2 for western audiences. Unfortunately we don't know what those changes were gonna be but its assumed to make the game less grindy if US PSP2 is any indication

TaigaUC
May 5, 2016, 08:28 AM
I just looked at that article and it's just a random guy on Twitter being super vague and inconclusive.
Could be anyone related to SEGA in any country saying the same thing. Doesn't mean anything.
It's still the same situation as long as they don't show some solid evidence that it's confirmed.

landman
May 5, 2016, 08:31 AM
There's no point if they're not going to show some solid evidence that it's confirmed.
The thing comes from Sega Europe's community manager, he answered that in the latest youtube video, the article just transcripts it. It's still some goon repeating PR stuff.

Keilyn
May 5, 2016, 08:34 AM
So much for the Japanophilia-attitude of the forums. :) Some person without evidence posts on twitter, and people here make a seven page thread about "nothing" but the glimmer of hope that something can "exist" as good as the original version so we can "leave Japan" and not "deal with their anti-westerner attitude....

I remember Phantasy Star Universe and the Error Code that meant their Login Server was down and if a player logged out, they wouldn't be able to log back in, so people kept their systems on for days to weeks to remain logged in, and there are people who never logged out outside of rebooting simply out of fear of those error codes..

...No thanks,
Remember, that was a subscription based game that we had to pay for and got the short end of the stick each and everytime. :(

Zeroem
May 5, 2016, 08:59 AM
Looking at the original text and stuff, it's more likely that SEGA won't make international version of PSO2 and more like......uh, language selection in the options (just like Granblue Fantasy)? That seems like what they intended to do, but I dunno.

I found this statement to be funny, considering that this is 2016, when people can talk with others across the sea with just pressing a few buttons. Is it hard to try communicate with JP people? There are lots of JP language tutorial in the web, and it things come to worst, Google Translate is your second best friend.

....Well, unless you're the type of people that's "speak my language or GTFO". Which is sad way of thinking, if you ask me.

SteveCZ
May 5, 2016, 09:04 AM
If anyone worried how it will going to be, remember PSO2 EN version... uh, SEA version? Why not ask their experience? how is it there. I'm sure some of them are still around in both JP and here. I think that applies to TW and TH version too.

Honestly there shouldn't be any difference, but what makes it huge is, I can smell it's just small community with super loud people in the lobby (and in maps, for pubs), high prices, easier place for market maniplulators, yada yada yada.
Also, no anime collab if I recall, but this isn't a problem for gameplay-only folks of course. For gameplay-only players, I'm sure it's just fine, especially when they are okay with the content being late.

In the end, no matter how I heard they hate the publisher, the server is still up for them to join (is it?)
Whichever way SEGA would go to for this one, whichever you folks can individually enjoy to.

Oh one more thing, it'll be the next wave of IP block if it happens. :roll:

[SPOILER-BOX]http://i.imgur.com/CoWZ05t.gif[/SPOILER-BOX]

Zeroem
May 5, 2016, 09:06 AM
....In the end, no matter how I heard they hate the publisher, the server is still up for them to join (is it?)
Whichever way SEGA would go to for this one, whichever you folks can individually enjoy to.

The localized servers are still up and running. And they just got the remaining stuff for EP2 (Despair + Matterboard 2-6)

It just meant that more people will use Tweaker's proxy.....or use another VPN. Nothing much will change honestly.
Except more lag for Tweaker users.

Inb4 teleporting PDs during Progeny EQ :wacko:

Saffran
May 5, 2016, 09:15 AM
>if a handful of dedicated fans can do it for free I'm sure they can pay minimum wage to some newbie employees to translate the game's text.

No. You cannot pay a team of professionals the same wages as social security money.
Just because some person, somewhere, is in a priviledged position where he/she can allow him/herself to do a job for free or for little wage doesn't mean that everyone, in every other country on Earth, has to do the same job for free or virtually free.

ClarkDV
May 5, 2016, 09:27 AM
Looking at the original text and stuff, it's more likely that SEGA won't make international version of PSO2 and more like......uh, language selection in the options (just like Granblue Fantasy)? That seems like what they intended to do, but I dunno.

I found this statement to be funny, considering that this is 2016, when people can talk with others across the sea with just pressing a few buttons. Is it hard to try communicate with JP people? There are lots of JP language tutorial in the web, and it things come to worst, Google Translate is your second best friend.

....Well, unless you're the type of people that's "speak my language or GTFO". Which is sad way of thinking, if you ask me.

I'm actually trying to learn japanese. I just want my games to be native to me, its not worth the hassle at this point, I want to take my learning slow and easy. Honestly, I'm lazy and want an english release. I want sega to do the work for me. OR have Sega of Japan do the legwork like they use to, and include english as a language option, like the original JP version of PSO2. I'm not thinking speak my language or GTFO, the sad way of thinking is that you guys can't see there are just regular people like me that want to play the game a regular way lol.

Nulve
May 5, 2016, 09:33 AM
It's probably not just about translating it, it's how do they localise all the events and stuff that are Japanese centric.

ClarkDV
May 5, 2016, 09:36 AM
It's probably not just about translating it, it's how do they localise all the events and stuff that are Japanese centric.

They should just do this by not worrying about that. People who are buying this game are in to japanese stuff. They shouldn't care about making it seem western.

Also, I just wish sega would care about bringing over THEIR IPs, as opposed to publishing BS like Total War and Alien and crap, those are not sega games.

landman
May 5, 2016, 09:39 AM
Only Episode 4 is japanese centric, and it's not like the west is stranger to animes where characters touch each other their boobs in public baths...

EspeonageTieler
May 5, 2016, 09:53 AM
It's way to late in the game for this to work imo.

first there is a chance we could all get IP banned like the sea region and more importantly if they do bring it over and it flops (lets be real its gonna be dead like most other mmos that get brought over this late) it will make sega think that westerners dont want these games and the next time around this will all repeat itself again.

Zeroem
May 5, 2016, 09:59 AM
I'm actually trying to learn japanese. I just want my games to be native to me, its not worth the hassle at this point, I want to take my learning slow and easy. Honestly, I'm lazy and want an english release. I want sega to do the work for me. OR have Sega of Japan do the legwork like they use to, and include english as a language option, like the original JP version of PSO2. I'm not thinking speak my language or GTFO, the sad way of thinking is that you guys can't see there are just regular people like me that want to play the game a regular way lol.

I'm sure your statement contain a contradiction here. You want the game to be your native, but you don't think that the game need to be speaking at your language? Weird.

In any case, the bolded word in your paragraphs is dully noted.

Enforcer MKV
May 5, 2016, 10:02 AM

Not necessarily, reason for the SEA IP blocks is because the people handling that version specifically asked for SOJ to block IPS, if memory serves.

There's no guarantee they'd do it again for this region unless the people watching over the game over here asked.

starwind75043
May 5, 2016, 10:05 AM
[SPOILER-BOX]http://i.imgur.com/NoGTwiM.png[/SPOILER-BOX]

From my understanding pso is in unique situation in japan were there are not that many mmos or games simalr to it there. In the west that WAY different in the west.
I could see sega thinking "Our worst case is we lose big. Our best case is we break even."

Zyrusticae
May 5, 2016, 10:16 AM
There's a growing trend of it becoming just that if you had been looking at a lot of recent titles lately.

Biggest relevant example is Blade and Soul (https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/3twutd/censorship_blade_and_soul_censorship_approaching/), an MMORPG that got released some months ago and got hit by "localization" bullshit as well. You shouldn't be rolling your eyes and dusting it off as an "NoA" problem, it's a legit concern.
Blade & Soul's story changes are not censorship. Again, localization changes =/= censorship.

Sick of people crying "CENSORSHIP!!!" at any little change that's done to appease market demographics rather than ACTUAL FUCKING CENSORSHIP which is a real problem that actually happens but loses its luster when you cry censorship at EVERYTHING.

It's like the boy who cried wolf. Do it too many fucking times and no one takes you seriously anymore. And that's a goddamn sham.

ClarkDV
May 5, 2016, 10:50 AM
I'm sure your statement contain a contradiction here. You want the game to be your native, but you don't think that the game need to be speaking at your language? Weird.

In any case, the bolded word in your paragraphs is dully noted.

I've played thru many games with fanslations and stuff. It just irritates me that Sega of America has ignored arguably their best franchise and boned all the fans. I don't like the route they are going, and how they are publishing total war and BS. I just want sega of america back to their former glory, and if PSO2 is a thing of the past, then its the biggest opportunity they missed to please their fans and look good in the last five to ten years.

landman
May 5, 2016, 10:57 AM
I've played thru many games with fanslations and stuff. It just irritates me that Sega of America has ignored arguably their best franchise and boned all the fans. I don't like the route they are going, and how they are publishing total war and BS. I just want sega of america back to their former glory, and if PSO2 is a thing of the past, then its the biggest opportunity they missed to please their fans and look good in the last five to ten years.
I'm not a Total War fan, but if Sega treats this franchise better than others it's because it gives huge profits, if they thought Phantasy Star could have that potential playerbase, they would have released PSO2 long ago.

The Walrus
May 5, 2016, 11:02 AM
Blade & Soul's story changes are not censorship. Again, localization changes =/= censorship.

Sick of people crying "CENSORSHIP!!!" at any little change that's done to appease market demographics rather than ACTUAL FUCKING CENSORSHIP which is a real problem that actually happens but loses its luster when you cry censorship at EVERYTHING.

It's like the boy who cried wolf. Do it too many fucking times and no one takes you seriously anymore. And that's a goddamn sham.

we need to stand and fight against ALL censorship, friend

it is our duty as human beings to fight this evil that is greater than isis, organized religion, or even donald trump's campaign to become ceo of america

Zeroem
May 5, 2016, 11:17 AM
.....It just irritates me that Sega of America has ignored arguably their best franchise and boned all the fans. I don't like the route they are going, and how they are publishing total war and BS. I just want sega of america back to their former glory, and if PSO2 is a thing of the past, then its the biggest opportunity they missed to please their fans and look good in the last five to ten years.

First of all, SEGA of America are not the one you should shout to. It's SEGA you should shout to. Second of all, former glory? Heh, they still need to re-shape themselves after giving their former HQ buildings to Zynga :wacko:

Also, do review what happened to PSU before continue to suggest for localized PSO2.

landman
May 5, 2016, 11:27 AM
I remember PSU management, we got Episode 2 and 3 with its full content with a few months of delay, we did not get post PSP2i added content and famitsu&co weapons collabs, as I see it, we got everything the game was supposed to deliver first day+expansion, then moved to Portable games, in Japan they added more stuff and free to play model after that but for me the game had already run its course, I would repeat that experience with any other game any time.

ieptav
May 5, 2016, 11:36 AM
Only way for it to have any kind of longterm success is if they work with a translation derpartment to push the game from being Japanese only game to a game that supports the international community, not release a likely outdated and barebones version of the game designed specifically for the west. Final Fantasy 14 does it best.

BWS-1
May 5, 2016, 11:42 AM
Imagine if instead of Gacha you could directly buy from the AC catalogue

I remember prior to Edward getting canned from SoA, he did mention that they were planning on doing changes to PSO2 for western audiences.

They should just do this by not worrying about that. People who are buying this game are in to japanese stuff. They shouldn't care about making it seem western.

See I think the reason why we don't have a PSO2 outside Asia is not for lack of competent localization (I mean, they had a PAX demo that was proper WAY back then, didn't they?) but for lack of means to change PSO2 in the "intricate Japanese centric" stuff that may not be LEGALLY accepted outside Japan (or Asia).

Just looking at the current way most of the AC shop works, and by the sound of what I'm being told here, it's either "play the game for free with very little and MAYBE decent inventory space after having spent 60$+ and/or GAMBLE your way to MAYBE get that extra content" and/or "pay for fucking SCAPE DOLLS and whatnot".

I mean, for the latter, I can see this being more acceptable in Japan simply because their very idea of how you spend money on game is NUTS there. I did enjoy my time in akihabara at CLUB SEGA, but holy crap are their top-notch arcades INSANE. Sure, I ended up playing for 5 hours, but the cost-per-minute in the end for a gaming experience ended up being rather steep, especially in this day and age where something similar or better can be found on PC (but far from as unique... but I guess that's what arcades are for). Perhaps they are more used to it than us. I loved Border Break... but would hate to live there and be addicted to it. I'd probably save money to buy the arcade cabinet instead as a cheaper mean to satisfy my addiction.

Now the former, the gambling bit, that's probably their biggest international thorn. It's weird because it doesn't seem like it would be too hard to change that altogether; how hard could it be to have stuff be available like Raujinn said? Only problem with that solution I can think of is the Japanese playerbase getting aware of that and raging. They might be fine with the way the game is for their Japanese habits or reasons, but they aren't dumb either - if the same game ends up being released outside their country with no gambling barrier, I'm sure it makes sense to be mad.

I would hate to see content being delayed by the amount of years that has past, but if it means it can be released in its entirety in time sure... though it's not like that ever happened with PSO or PSU.

Zeroem
May 5, 2016, 11:47 AM
I remember PSU management, we got Episode 2 and 3 with its full content with a few months of delay, we did not get post PSP2i added content and famitsu&co weapons collabs, as I see it, we got everything the game was supposed to deliver first day+expansion, then moved to Portable games, in Japan they added more stuff and free to play model after that but for me the game had already run its course, I would repeat that experience with any other game any time.

I won't deny that at least SoA deliver the contents of the core game to its conclusions.
But the management is......well.

Manta Oyamada
May 5, 2016, 12:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFZrzg62Zj0

landman
May 5, 2016, 12:21 PM
we got the suplemental update with only 23mb of files like 1+ year after jp, then started getting reskined weapons. and ended up almost 2 years behind jp in content at the end.
no idea how you think suplimental was a "few months behind" along with it having a fraction of the weapons that it should have.
As I said, for me that was beyond the game's initial course, I got the end of the story, I got the quests and events that linked to the portable games, and I moved on, if I had been playing the Japanese server, I would have moved on as well since that kind of content was really not my thing, or it was already on PSP2.

Shadowstarkirby
May 5, 2016, 12:23 PM

Uh, I'm pretty sure censorship in all regards isn't taken as a joke, be it video games or...whatever else you're talking about. I don't know of any situation that has been taken less seriously because I decide to say, "Hey, I really wish you'd stop stripping the games I play of important/interesting dialogue to a appease a demographic who couldn't care less about playing the game anyway." Censorship comes in all different shapes and sizes. Your "boy who cried wolf" stuff is of no relevance to me neither, I don't know how many people you've seen complain about it calling it a problem, but anywhere I go, I find that the people who mind having content or dialogue cut vastly outnumbers those who don't.

But no, I guess it's okay to appease the demographic that probably don't even play whatever they're bitching about. I'm glad that you're fine having chunks of dialogue outright stripped from the game because some people get their jim jams rustled over video game characters because this isn't REEEEL CENSORSHIP.

Yes, I'm aware that censorsh--oh, I'm sorry, localization isn't anything new, it's been going on for decades, but it's just more obnoxious these days and in all honesty, I'd just like it to stop, but that's asking too much. But I'm not asking too much by saying don't outright cut features or entire paragraphs of dialogue, because that isn't fine.

we need to stand and fight against ALL censorship, friend

it is our duty as human beings to fight this evil that is greater than isis, organized religion, or even donald trump's campaign to become ceo of america

:roll:

Okay, what? Now this is silly. I never said my "legit concern" was anywhere as serious as any of those topics. I don't even know why you're bringing any of that shit in here, I'm talking about video games. Let's keep it that way, yeah?

EDIT: Actually, I'd really prefer if either of you have anything else to say, you should just PM me or whatever people do in these situations, because this stuff is derailing the main topic. Up to y'all.

FANSean
May 5, 2016, 12:31 PM
i look forward to pso2 as managed by nexon

The Walrus
May 5, 2016, 12:52 PM
Uh, I'm pretty sure censorship in all regards isn't taken as a joke, be it video games or...whatever else you're talking about. I don't know of any situation that has been taken less seriously because I decide to say, "Hey, I really wish you'd stop stripping the games I play of important/interesting dialogue to a appease a demographic who couldn't care less about playing the game anyway." Censorship comes in all different shapes and sizes. Your "boy who cried wolf" stuff is of no relevance to me neither, I don't know how many people you've seen complain about it calling it a problem, but anywhere I go, I find that the people who mind having content or dialogue cut vastly outnumbers those who don't.

But no, I guess it's okay to appease the demographic that probably don't even play whatever they're bitching about. I'm glad that you're fine having chunks of dialogue outright stripped from the game because some people get their jim jams rustled over video game characters because this isn't REEEEL CENSORSHIP.

Yes, I'm aware that censorsh--oh, I'm sorry, localization isn't anything new, it's been going on for decades, but it's just more obnoxious these days and in all honesty, I'd just like it to stop, but that's asking too much. But I'm not asking too much by saying don't outright cut features or entire paragraphs of dialogue, because that isn't fine.

:roll:

Okay, what? Now this is silly. I never said my "legit concern" was anywhere as serious as any of those topics. I don't even know why you're bringing any of that shit in here, I'm talking about video games. Let's keep it that way, yeah?

EDIT: Actually, I'd really prefer if either of you have anything else to say, you should just PM me or whatever people do in these situations, because this stuff is derailing the main topic. Up to y'all.

it was intentionally over the top and ridiculous

Petunia
May 5, 2016, 01:02 PM
They can't do that because that would infringe all the collaboration contracts they have signed and paid in the last 4 years, they are only allowed to use that content in Japan, "opening" the server would mean new contracts, and more money, this is the ONE solution they will never do. Period.

And seriously, people that has waited 4 years, do you people think they care if the game is outdated?? if it was for me, PSO2 WITHOUT episode 4 is a better game than with it LOL

Wrongo.
If that was the case then none of those contracts would be valid, because we exist and we play the game. And there's nothing in the ToS that prevents us from doing so.
Same would apply to a Japanese person who moved abroad. They aren't suddenly not allowed to play.
What sort of contract limits the country a piece of content introduced into a game that can be played in almost any country?
At most the contract would limit the version of the game that the content can be in. Which means my solution still stands, as we would be playing the Japanese version of the game, just with an official English language option.

Shadowstarkirby
May 5, 2016, 01:05 PM
it was intentionally over the top and ridiculous

I'm sorry, I'm very bad at telling when people are joking or not, second time I've made that mistake here. ^^;

Keilyn
May 5, 2016, 01:22 PM
People fail to recognize the differences between censorship and localization.

Editing content due to make it compatible with a region is not censorship as long as national borders exist. Localization allows users to have national representation when it comes to a product released in their borders. Foreign Localization is a lot easier than Alien Localization.

(Definitions, Foreign vs Alien)

Take the United States. We have 50 states, meaning 50 capital cities where 50 state governments reside. If a company is started in Massachusetts and Products are released to Massachusetts Citizens, then such a company is known as as Domestic Company. If a Company is started in New York, but a Branch opens up in Massachusetts; Both states fall under the Federal Government of the U.S but different state Government, that is called a Foreign Business. If a Software Package is made in Japan and then brought to the United States; both governments are not in each other's territory, that is called an Alien Business.

In the case of PSO-2, we went to PSO-2 as Aliens, and without permission. Legally be it cruel and punishment, we actually do not have any rights outside the International Circuit Court, and whatever can be handled by Embassies. International Incidents mostly deal with such a thing as extradition rights and priorities work differently when it comes to Illegal Aliens committing crimes.

Localization requires compliance with laws which exist in state and federal laws.

The reason why a lot of editing of anime exists is not "Japan's fault." The editing exists because of the laws that exist. Editing content for nudity, eliminating deaths of children or eliminating entire character stories because of it unfortunately is not Censorship. Its actually compliance with laws. If a problem exists in a law, go out there and change it instead of complaining about it. I make a mention simply because a lot of people online love to complain from the comfort of their own chairs, but the U.S itself has a Justice System that has Laws based on Interpretation which is actually a two-way street. It is because of Interpretation that the U.S Justice System has done more for average people through case-law than the Legislative Branch of the Government.

In the U.S, Black People got the Right to Vote before women did. That is a known fact, and an example. However, it was a case that began in Texas against a State Law that developed into Roe Vs Wade. However years before that, Brown vs The Board of Education caused the end of Segregated Schools, and as a response and fear of white people having to actually share space with black people; the result was a lot of private schools opened up that went up against the public school system where white elites and teachers enrolled into. The schools said that they do not need to answer to the government because they were private. A case-law was established when a Diner was sued on a matter of being Private and more Independent. The Diner lost their case under the ground that "If one accepts or earns money from the Public Domain in any form, or the Public Domain directly is involved in a majority share of projection and profit of a private or independent domain, such an establishment is liable to the Justice of the Public.

Localization takes case-law into account and violence in media content has always been a major issue.

Now, if you want Censorship....
Go back to the Cold War Era where our government banned the publishing of books and arrested writers for not being patriotic. For those historians and older people in the forums.. Remember wearing Gas Masks and then being pulled by Government Agents and being asked "Have you, or anyone you know ever served, or been party to the Communist Party?"

The three Nations responsible for practicing the greatest amount of censorship of material given to their citizens in the world are China, England, and The United States. I remember where in some cities in the United States refused to allow "The Sound of Music" to be performed in present day because it had Nazis, Swastikas, and a character saying "Hail Hitler." Now that is REAL censorship...

How about writing anti-government lyrics, and being arrested for sedition and having a recording studio rewrite your lyrics and music, releasing it with the message stripped from the song without your permission out of fear of governmental reprisal? That is a common in China.

If people wish for censorship to end in the U.S, they have to kindly allow people to grow up and truly be accepting of others to the point that they are willing to accept a complete story or product without alteration and be ok with it. As long as people everywhere have their "might makes rights" opinions mixed with power-based mentality, the opinions of the few will cause the censure of the masses.

.razor.
May 5, 2016, 02:49 PM
meh

JP > NA

PSO2 NA can suck my loli balls

SilkaN
May 5, 2016, 03:07 PM
meh

JP > NA

PSO2 NA can suck my loli balls

Spoken like a true man.

Xaeris
May 5, 2016, 03:32 PM
In other news, Half Life 3 is due any time now.

Yamishi
May 5, 2016, 03:55 PM
"Solution".

This is also what I first thought when I read the statement. But then, I'm startlingly optimistic.

[Ayumi]
May 5, 2016, 04:23 PM
Sure when it is eventually released in the West it'll probably have all the content the current JP version has, but looking at the past with PSO and PSU I could see the western version falling behind quickly.
Yes. All of the content the current JP version has...
...just need to wait months to a year or over that to get it
...just minus the collaborations. There's reasons certain games never make it over here. I might be the only one that got my family overseas to buy me Jump Superstars/Ultimate Stars and Battle D.O.N. (yeah yeah D.O.N. was bad but STILL!)

Care to please explain what would make it more fun? Because minus what I said about delay and very little to none of the collabs maybe coming over... what else is missing? Official English language? I can't see how the language would change anything about it.

you don't have to screw around and patch it and stuff.
Which takes like less than 2 minutes to do if you want to patch it. And you're making sound like it's like hardmodding a console or something.

The rest of it sounds like some of the stuff I heard those politicians been speaking in that presidential stuff in America in the last week. Not saying you're bad, but it sounds very delusional.

There's that tinkering again.
Oh... same person.
Natural as in what? And the way you're speaking you better pray to almighty Dark Queen Rico to bring that game over or you're pretty much never going to play then. And as of right now, it really seems like a scream in an empty cave with no reply other than your echo when it comes to Sega.

Also, I just wish sega would care about bringing over THEIR IPs, as opposed to publishing BS like Total War and Alien and crap, those are not sega games.

That's how many of the companies are these days though.

It's way to late in the game for this to work imo.

first there is a chance we could all get IP banned like the sea region and more importantly if they do bring it over and it flops (lets be real its gonna be dead like most other mmos that get brought over this late) it will make sega think that westerners dont want these games and the next time around this will all repeat itself again.

You mean like PSP2?
While yeah it was Sega's fault for the low quantity and then by the time they brought enough copies over it was too late... but it's still the same.
Sega brought PSP2 over, saw low sales, stopped caring to bring PSP2i or any of the PSP2+ content over to PSU and then PSO2 came and...
Well...

we got the suplemental update with only 23mb of files like 1+ year after jp, then started getting reskined weapons. and ended up almost 2 years behind jp in content at the end.
no idea how you think suplimental was a "few months behind" along with it having a fraction of the weapons that it should have.

I'm guessing 360 as I remember the 360 getting it. PC was long dead when that came out.
Also, I guess you wasn't around the Japanese communities to hear a lot of Japanese players on the 360 getting mad at Sega for it?
Those reskins did not make anyone happy.

Wrongo.
If that was the case then none of those contracts would be valid, because we exist and we play the game. And there's nothing in the ToS that prevents us from doing so.
Same would apply to a Japanese person who moved abroad. They aren't suddenly not allowed to play.
What sort of contract limits the country a piece of content introduced into a game that can be played in almost any country?
At most the contract would limit the version of the game that the content can be in. Which means my solution still stands, as we would be playing the Japanese version of the game, just with an official English language option.

That part is kind of "wrongo" too though.
Yes, people outside Japan are playing and yeah the ToS did not flat out say "Not in Japan? Go give a blowjob to a loaded shotgun and fuck yourselves.", but it does say that we're not technically supposed to be playing and will not give us any support because we're not supposed to be there.

It's the same as you using let's say a vehicle or device that you're not supposed to use or not meant to use. You can still use it if you want because you can go and obtain it however you want, but if you damaged it or something happens to you on it, it's not in that companies ToS to even service you as it's your fault for using it when it was not meant for you.

Certain companies make certain products for certain countries and demographics. It's stupid, but that's how they do it.
Sometimes yeah... they will take something and just port it over... like in Japan's example, there's things like certain anime and whatnot. While other times, certain things simply does not make it over here because those companies don't want to or don't see the value in doing so.
Those that collab with Sega are doing them with one audience in mind. Native Japanese players. If someone outside don't like it, tough tits if Japan does.

Like I do know some in Japan don't like EP4, but it seems that quite a bit do like it... that's also one reason they're still sticking to it and the anime now (that and yeah.. it's still new).
If they did that over here and I've heard a lot more non-Japanese players not liking EP4 (I don't know if I would be included to that as while I'm Japanese, I don't live there and fucking hate EP4 and will never watch the anime), Sega would probably lose money around the time EP4 came outside Japan from quite a bit not wanting that around.
What would Sega do in this case? Make a completely different EP4 for those not in Japan? Or maybe go the true Sega route and just let EP3 be the final episode outside Japan and then slowly kil off the game not long after?

Keilyn
May 5, 2016, 04:41 PM
@Ayumi

I think what Z-0 might mean is a game version that allows Western Culture to Interact in a much more dominant manner. It's not about "Official English Patch" as much as being able to feel good about playing a game without being reminded at every instance that we are not allowed to play and we play at our own risk.

I play a lot of foreign games and get caught up in their culture, but sometimes its good to "return home" and play a game where I can walk in and see all the good and bad that is familiar to me.

People want a Western Version to get away from the Japanese Persecution people feel they are dealing with. Am I wrong? If so... then why is this thread so long and with so many pages based on false hope?

Another difference between Americans and Japanese..

Japanese people create anime about "bringing people together" and "tolerance and fairness" for races and respect, yet stay in Japan most of the time.....

Americans don't create anime about "bringing people together" but attempts to practice "tolerance and fairness" through case law and our Professional Population actually travels the world trying to bring people together and solve problems together...

Am I wrong?

What are we doing here?
Americans and Europeans....in this forums...

Its our ship that is crossing the sea to a whole new world,
while the Japanese ship remains forever docked at port.

BWS-1
May 5, 2016, 04:54 PM
Keilyn, I like to think they are doing with PSO2 what SEGA did with PSO ver1 and ver2... except keeping it in Japan for the time they are doing QA and figuring things out before releasing to the world a more complete experience like PSO BB was in comparison with the first PSO; would probably be a PSO2 ver2 or PSO3 even.

But hey if it means a revamped engine for the same game, and internationally released from the get-go, why not? One way to not make it unfair to the have characters from dedicated "PSO2" be lost would be if they can be transferred into the "proper" PSO.

I remember Dreamcast days like yesterday where we could go back and fort to any ship, in either Japanese, American or European servers from right after login in... and we could play with anyone and everyone thanks to translation in several languages... even if that was basic, and the game itself was basic, it pains me to think we could do SO MUCH 15 years ago and looking at what we get done today with the potential we have is just, it's like SEGA is wasting a chance to make a killing to keep it in Japan. Unless my overly-idealistic view mention at first here is what's going on. Then they are just taking their sweet time, but hey, I'm patient.

[Ayumi]
May 5, 2016, 04:55 PM
I guess I'm a bit weird then.
Minus how short the skirts are (which is why I never wear them in this game), PSO2 always felt kind of like home to me.
But I'm guessing that's the nostalgia speaking as I grew up with Phantasy Star (especially PSO) and don't really feel like I'm not supposed to be there.

[Ayumi]
May 5, 2016, 05:01 PM
Keilyn, I like to think they are doing with PSO2 what SEGA did with PSO ver1 and ver2... except keeping it in Japan for the time they are doing QA and figuring things out before releasing to the world a more complete experience like PSO BB was in comparison with the first PSO; would probably be a PSO2 ver2 or PSO3 even.

But hey if it means a revamped engine for the same game, and internationally released from the get-go, why not? One way to not make it unfair to the have characters from dedicated "PSO2" be lost would be if they can be transferred into the "proper" PSO.

I remember Dreamcast days like yesterday where we could go on any ship, in either Japanese, American or European servers from right after login in... and we could play with anyone and everyone thanks to translation in several languages... even if that was basic, and the game itself was basic, it pains me to think we could do SO MUCH 15 years ago and looking at what we get done today with the potential we have is just, it's like SEGA is wasting a chance to make a killing to keep it in Japan. Unless my overly-idealistic view mention at first here is what's going on. Then they are just taking their sweet time, but hey, I'm patient.

The thing is PSO didn't stay in Japan long at all. Same with PSU. Do they really need to QA for... how many years now... it's 2012 right? this year will make it 4 bloody years. It should not take this damn long to see what might work or not work.
Also, Sega does sometimes backpedal (not a lot of course) when they see people not liking something in PSO2. They could do that same shit if they would've released it outside Japan in 2013.

And speaking of revamped engine kind of put an idea in my head...
IF they were to make PSO2 outside Japan as let's say just that new 3 button set up... outside of losing all my progress and time and fun and enjoyment I already had on the JP server.. I would not want to play with that 3 button setup.
Tried to use it enough times to realize it's not for me.

I wonder if they would mix up the buttons too as I know Sega does this with their English and Japanese games (at least it seems so on Sony based games like on the PSX/PS2/PS3/PSP and so on).
Where amost any game I've played from Sega in Japan, their cancel buttons seem to flip with the confirm buttons in English games. That could take some getting used to.
I mean this last part is just nitpicking, but it just popped in my head and thought... why not.

BWS-1
May 5, 2016, 05:26 PM
;3353067']The thing is PSO didn't stay in Japan long at all. Same with PSU. Do they really need to QA for... how many years now... it's 2012 right? this year will make it 4 bloody years.

True... I've seen games come out in that time... some get made, released, localized, patched, re-made, re-released, re-localized, re-patched... and still improve to this day - thinking of Final Fantasy XIV: ARR; when thinking of just games coming out during the wait, I can't help but think of another FTP game which, while not having total sound support in all languages, has been localized in a buttload of languages for the texts and released everywhere - thinking of WARFRAME.

;3353067']I wonder if they would mix up the buttons too as I know Sega does this with their English and Japanese games (at least it seems so on Sony based games like on the PSX/PS2/PS3/PSP and so on).
Where amost any game I've played from Sega in Japan, their cancel buttons seem to flip with the confirm buttons in English games. That could take some getting used to.
I mean this last part is just nitpicking, but it just popped in my head and thought... why not.

Hmmm, wouldn't games being released on PC - in 2016, no less - have SEGA pretty much allow for keyboard/controller configuration to be default to come with the game?

Vintasticvin
May 5, 2016, 05:30 PM

You don't want that! You think you do bit you don't and honestly we'll be lucky if reach Elder arleast given our track record.

I'm sorry Toto you kniw I have respect for you and it hurts to post this

Selphea
May 5, 2016, 05:31 PM
Funny thing is I'd actually rather have a PSU2 or PSO3 JP than a PSO2 EN at this point. The game is cluttered with too many redundant systems that could really use a ground-up redesign.

landman
May 5, 2016, 05:33 PM
Buttons are fully configurable, I've been using the B/Circle button as cancel since alpha, I wish I could actually choose this in every game, be it import japanese games, or nintendo games.

Shadowth117
May 5, 2016, 05:44 PM
Funny thing is I'd actually rather have a PSU2 or PSO3 JP than a PSO2 EN at this point. The game is cluttered with too many redundant systems that could really use a ground-up redesign at this point.

PSU had that issue as well with its design philosophy, but I would welcome a well done PSU2 or PSO3. PSO worked as nicely as I did I think because they were forced to put together the entire system before it released whereas here they make new systems part way while for whatever reason leaving the old ones to fester.

[Ayumi]
May 5, 2016, 06:17 PM
True... I've seen games come out in that time... some get made, released, localized, patched, re-made, re-released, re-localized, re-patched... and still improve to this day - thinking of Final Fantasy XIV: ARR; when thinking of just games coming out during the wait, I can't help but think of another FTP game which, while not having total sound support in all languages, has been localized in a buttload of languages for the texts and released everywhere - thinking of WARFRAME.

Hmmm, wouldn't games being released on PC - in 2016, no less - have SEGA pretty much allow for keyboard/controller configuration to be default to come with the game?

PC yes, but some of the talk brought up the PS4 somehow showing some hope to come outside of Japan which you have to also put on that list. Vita no, as that system is pretty much dead.
(Soon I can finally buy one to play Nova and PSO2 on it... as I'm not paying a lot for a system to just play 2 games on it... and one I've already been playing since beta)

Keilyn
May 5, 2016, 06:42 PM

I remember Dreamcast days like yesterday where we could go back and fort to any ship, in either Japanese, American or European servers from right after login in... and we could play with anyone and everyone thanks to translation in several languages... even if that was basic, and the game itself was basic, it pains me to think we could do SO MUCH 15 years ago and looking at what we get done today with the potential we have is just, it's like SEGA is wasting a chance to make a killing to keep it in Japan. Unless my overly-idealistic view mention at first here is what's going on. Then they are just taking their sweet time, but hey, I'm patient.

Since you just turned this into a memories thread and I like nostalgia

PSO-Memory
[spoiler-box]http://www.smashmybrain.com/screenshots/easterbasket.JPG[/spoiler-box]

Launch-Week (PSU)
[spoiler-box]http://www.smashmybrain.com/screenshots/foie20yay.JPG[/spoiler-box]

Still in NA/EU...when I got Anti Aliasing to Work.... ^_^
[spoiler-box]http://www.smashmybrain.com/screenshots/keilyn32xS.jpg[/spoiler-box]

Everyone Remembers the "Line-Shield gets disequipped" bug
[spoiler-box]http://www.smashmybrain.com/screenshots/psu20091212_052704_001.JPG[/spoiler-box]

The creation of Newman Daze, an internal RP story project.
[spoiler-box]http://www.smashmybrain.com/screenshots/psu001.JPG[/spoiler-box]

Remember when Trash-Mobs and Large Creatures weren't so pushover?
[spoiler-box]http://www.smashmybrain.com/screenshots/psuss001.JPG[/spoiler-box]

The Video Game I had on my second monitor that I liked playing while waiting for everyone to get ready.....
[spoiler-box]http://www.smashmybrain.com/screenshots/img000.jpg[/spoiler-box]

...and back when SEGA gave me headaches, I had this around.....
[spoiler-box]http://www.smashmybrain.com/screenshots/stash.jpg[/spoiler-box]

..and you bet I needed all of that after this in PSU....(I know some of you share my pain even today...)

[spoiler-box]http://www.smashmybrain.com/screenshots/blah1.JPG
http://www.smashmybrain.com/screenshots/blah2.JPG
http://www.smashmybrain.com/screenshots/blah3.JPG[/spoiler-box]

...During the time of experiments, where I could play Four Games at once on Linux without dropping below 60 FPS, and live to tell about it..

[spoiler-box]http://www.smashmybrain.com/screenshots/games.jpg[/spoiler-box]

...and not to mention the time I ran a group for 1.5 - 2 years in Guild Wars 2, with the aim of being small and intimate (actually getting to know each other) as it felt good to know people outside of the 500 - 1000 man groups I was used to running. Memorable Shot... . Twilight Daze. ^_^

[spoiler-box]http://www.smashmybrain.com/screenshots/gw368.jpg[/spoiler-box]

I have plenty of shots from PSO, PSU NA/EU, PSU-JP to post if need be. ^_^

Totori
May 6, 2016, 01:03 AM
You don't want that! You think you do bit you don't and honestly we'll be lucky if reach Elder arleast given our track record.

I'm sorry Toto you kniw I have respect for you and it hurts to post this

Given our track record we got actual content quite fast, so I think it would work out. Looking for SEGA to make a new name for themselves eventually~

Zyrusticae
May 6, 2016, 01:10 AM
The mention of "redundant systems" reminded me of how many bloody weapons that are in the game that are completely useless because crafted, boosted red weapons completely eclipse everything that isn't a 13*. WEAPON CAMO CONVERSION WHEN, SEGA?!

All these stone weapons that no one will ever buy ever again because it's soooo easy to completely skip them and jump to something better. Mind-boggling, really. Waste of development hours spent on those systems and weapons. Especially the weapons. Good grief, all those sweet weapon models, all going to waste... how the hell can management look at that and think "eh, let's leave it like that"? Just calculating all the waste in my head makes me want to slap the bastards...

KiroMatic
May 6, 2016, 02:07 AM
Don't bother trying to be happy on PSO-World. These people will tear down your happiness faster then a monkey peels a banana.

There aren't many but other PSO forums do exist and they take far more kindly to people having there own preferences then most of the chumps on here. Seriously, I've visited this site far longer then it's ever deserved and I've never seen the community ban together to do anything besides tear someones hopes and dreams apart.

SteveCZ
May 6, 2016, 02:16 AM
Don't bother trying to be happy on PSO-World. These people will tear down your happiness faster then a monkey peels a banana.

There aren't many but other PSO forums do exist and they take far more kindly to people having there own preferences then most of the chumps on here. Seriously, I've visited this site far longer then it's ever deserved and I've never seen the community ban together to do anything besides tear someones hopes and dreams apart.

Welcome to pso-world.com :(

SilkaN
May 6, 2016, 02:27 AM
Given our track record we got actual content quite fast, so I think it would work out. Looking for SEGA to make a new name for themselves eventually~

Let me quote Blizzard:

You think you do (want this), but you don't.

Maninbluejumpsuit
May 6, 2016, 03:04 AM
Let me quote Blizzard:

Seriously, screw that guy for saying that.

Though that quote holds true in this situation though. At this point, why would you want an english version? The hell is the point as long as gaijins arent being witchhunted? Why would I want to start over, and likely be at least as far behind on content as SEA? After this many years, and playing the JP version this long, a western version will not be worth the time, effort, or your hopes.

So happiness=false hope and ignorance? If we don't do it, SEGA will. They just make you wait longer, and gives your hopes time to flourish for years before they crush them.

After SOA's track records with previous PS games, and the state SEA PSO2 is in, and the years of silence regarding PSO2 west, we'd be doing people a disservice by not bringing their hopes and dreams back to earth.

morkie
May 6, 2016, 03:42 AM
start all over again, no way...content like a SEA? everyone hype for the next coming yamato patch...

Selphea
May 6, 2016, 05:29 AM
The mention of "redundant systems" reminded me of how many bloody weapons that are in the game that are completely useless because crafted, boosted red weapons completely eclipse everything that isn't a 13*. WEAPON CAMO CONVERSION WHEN, SEGA?!

Nox NTs made many Reds obsolete as far as welfare weapons go.

Ziel
May 6, 2016, 07:07 AM
WEAPON CAMO CONVERSION WHEN, SEGA?!

All these stone weapons that no one will ever buy ever again because it's soooo easy to completely skip them and jump to something better. Waste of development hours spent on those systems and weapons. Especially the weapons. Good grief, all those sweet weapon models, all going to waste... how the hell can management look at that and think "eh, let's leave it like that"? Just calculating all the waste in my head makes me want to slap the bastards...

Remember that little "Camo selection" of 10 and 11* wepons from xie? its still there on the recycle shop, LOCKED because it requires 2015 silver badges that no longer drop and you cant convert 2016s to 2015...

"eh, let's leave it like that" indeed.

Aldotsk
May 7, 2016, 08:40 AM
Honestly while Japanese version will always be superior to NA version...

If you like Japanese version and you don't want to play NA version, then play Japanese version. No one was really forcing anyone to play NA version. I'd rather see it as people who want to play NA version is those who don't want to go all the trouble to download tweaker and patch and make accounts in Sega JP. And there are definitely those who want to play English version of PS4 and PSVita instead.

I have friends who want NA version and I'll probably play both just for my friends and it's entertaining to play with IRL friends most of the time.

NA server is just an option to play whether you like it or not because it has lesser localization and due to some restricted censorship. If you don't want to play it, then dont. It should not matter on whoever wants it. Let them want it. Both sides get their games, and they are enjoying it. Everyone's a winner.

AlphaBlob
May 7, 2016, 08:51 AM
I'm pretty sure the point is, if you really want to play PSO2, you would be playing it in JP already. It's not coming to the west, that's just a fact. Sega of America is far from able to support a global server for PSO2. They'd probably need to have it published by some BS company like Nexon and it will become a terrible pay to win.

Achelousaurus
May 7, 2016, 09:03 AM
I am hoping that they'll aim for a final solution and completely eradicate any chances of this game coming to the west.
They actually do. It's called ep 4 and may yet get the game canceled before there is any way of bringing it to new areas.

Anyway, there is a reasonable way to release PSO2 in the west. Monthly subscription. Black Desert did it and I think it's doing fairly well in the west (but haven't actually checked on anything).
That would easily mean scratch isn't extremely important anymore.
of course Sega would have to remove premium and make the set stuff default as well as giving people a bunch of stuff you have to pay AC for atm without paying extra money.
But some scratch (or direct sales) of costumes and camos and 10% element boosters can still require additional payments.

Now the majority of gaijin do not even want to hear foreign languages but a good amount does, so the game would probably need dual language audio. Especially because some people will pay for additional jp voices and there aren't remotely enough popular English VAs to replace the sheer amount of jp voices we already got.

Also, some games manage being behind the original release by along time by simply releasing updates rapidly every few months, this would allow a western release to get close fairly quickly at which point you can slow down the pace cause you established a big enough gameplay base to keep a lot of players happy for a good while.
This is especially important for PSO2 cause you cannot turn an f2p game into subscription without providing the money's worth, if you delay updates too long you could have periods where it's not even worth running the servers cause too few people are online.

Yeah, no one pays money for idling but everyone uses bandwidth.
Also, the rift between jps and gaijin gets ever wider.
But tbh I don't think the game would get truly fixed in a western release. Maybe, just maybe EQs and 12man mpas might be done away with but nothing else. Though tbh that alone would make the game 1million times better.

Ziel
May 7, 2016, 09:15 AM
T
Anyway, there is a reasonable way to release PSO2 in the west. Monthly subscription. Black Desert did it and I think it's doing fairly well in the west (but haven't actually checked on anything).

As someone who lives on a shitty country that has blocked all and every online shopping no matter how much money you make, sincerely.

Fuck This

And thats exactly the problem i have with a "western release" is "release it for the USA, maybe mexico and canada, fuck everyone else"

I cant play any of the new AAA games that have been released, cant play any of the "Buy to play" online games that come out and its not even a hardware issue.

I even WANT TO and CAN pay for premium and scratches but due to the stupid circumstances cant buy ac or anything, you have no idea how happy i am this game is not p2w garbage like many other (even japanese games) that are (loking at you cosmic break).

Yeah fuck me and everyone else that cant afford anything besides f2p p2w garbages.

I wanna keep the full cosmetic not gear dependant model of pso2 that im playing right now, thank you.

Oh and if you didnt noticed, yes im saltier than a mermaid`s arse about this specific topic.

FANSean
May 7, 2016, 09:16 AM
Ah yes the 'ep4 is killing pso2 in spite of its record number of players' meme. my favorite

BWS-1
May 7, 2016, 09:41 AM
Sega of America is far from able to support a global server for PSO2. They'd probably need to have it published by some BS company like Nexon and it will become a terrible pay to win.

I dunno, the current cash-grabbing going on with PSO2JP seems hard to beat, even by Nexon standards... as the current PSO2 setup can't really be made into a "pay to win" (PSO2 being focused as a PvE game), it's a "pay to have acceptable level of gear and/or skill trees to be worthy of being considered in a group".

So a "pay to win at PvE". The only way I could think Nexon making it worse is if you'd have to pay monthly sub to KEEP extra skill trees as a "premium account feature"...

... shit, I might be giving them ideas.

BWS-1
May 7, 2016, 09:57 AM
How much are SCAPE DOLLS again?

AlphaBlob
May 7, 2016, 10:06 AM
Just... don't die? And even when you do die, there's always people with moon atomizer that can revive you, and to top it all, they give so many half dolls I'm making a coffee table out of them. That's literally the worst example you could go with...

arokidaaron
May 7, 2016, 10:09 AM

i've got about 30+ scape dolls in storage on a new account that is about 3 moths old . . . You know you could get tons from campaigns, bonus quest, daily login stamps and bingo(1 per char, so 3 for freemium) for FREE. Not to mention players below level 15 or was it 30 get like 3 free revivies per day . . . And if you die alot, there's only 1 solution to that, Git Gud.

Zyrusticae
May 7, 2016, 10:20 AM
I dunno, the current cash-grabbing going on with PSO2JP seems hard to beat, even by Nexon standards... as the current PSO2 setup can't really be made into a "pay to win" (PSO2 being focused as a PvE game), it's a "pay to have acceptable level of gear and/or skill trees to be worthy of being considered in a group".

So a "pay to win at PvE". The only way I could think Nexon making it worse is if you'd have to pay monthly sub to KEEP extra skill trees as a "premium account feature"...

... shit, I might be giving them ideas.
Just gonna have to join the other poster in utterly laughing at this post.

Shit, aside from inventory space (which I don't actually need), I haven't spent a cent on my newest character and she's totally destroying everything thanks to crafted, boosted red weapons. She's not even 75/75 yet!

If this were, say, Blade & Soul, she'd be waaaay behind in progression and still be unable to fight in the newest dungeon because of the gear gating. Completely different ball park. (And even then, I wouldn't say B&S is "P2W").

TaigaUC
May 7, 2016, 10:39 AM
It's been established that SEGA is earning quite a large amount of money from PSO2.
But I'm sure it's not so much from the "pay to win" stuff like Scape Dolls that almost nobody buys.
It's more the AC scratches. Outfits, accessories, lobby actions, upgrade items, etc.

PSO2 has some crucial stuff (eg. Mags) locked behind paywall, but it's not as bad as other games I've played.
It's also very generous in giving people Half-Dolls and Este Tickets for free. Stuff like that.
Although it wasn't like that originally.
It's also possible to solo most stuff without dying. Other games, not really possible.

landman
May 7, 2016, 11:04 AM
Extra skill trees are only necessary for certain classes and if you want to have the top configuration for each situation, and extra MAGs are only necessary if you plan on leveling certain classes with the same character, if you can manage your PA discs and distribute them with your other characters you can easily have melee, ranged and technique classes distributed to different characters, with one Mag each (which is actually better for managing storage). And having extra characters has always more benefits, like more free skill tree resets on each update that changes anything about skills, and everything else that each character is limited in game (Time Attacks, EQ, fishing...)

BWS-1
May 7, 2016, 11:19 AM
Just... don't die? And even when you do die, there's always people with moon atomizer that can revive you, and to top it all, they give so many half dolls I'm making a coffee table out of them. That's literally the worst example you could go with...

Yeah I guess that's a bad example, but I find it annoying there are skills (not a lot, mind you) that are all "75% chance of not dying when you should have died" at max. Then again, if you just suck less sure that skill is useless (and so are scape dolls) that might be negligible, but makes you think then "what a waste of a skill, why does it even EXIST". Though that isn't that big a deal

If we are starting to think PSU, having your own room and everything that came with it basically requires monthly sub here (not even gonna mention offline as a worthy element, because well, not like PSO2 has one). But I guess it's not so bad, since the game is free by default here...

But count in extra mags (unless you play ONE character), extra characters (if you don't want to pay for extra mags and don't want to pay for skill trees), skill trees (minimum to be viable if you want to have a minimum of diversity in one character) and maybe the same features of the PSO/PSU games at the ready, you'll end up paying monthly for the game in the end anyway. But yeah sure we don't have to, but compared to Nexon games I've played and never had to put money in, I hardly see myself be able to do the same thing with PSO2; too many little things costing you 3$ here, 6$ there... and 20$ here (if you want inventory space - not extra storage space because that's another story [and another 'premium' braquet/category of monthly costs]). Maybe because I lost interest in Nexon games before feeling like putting money, so that has to be a sign for something. Still, I was more put off by their games then by their cash-grabbing non-sense. In PS02, it's the other way around.

And we're not even talking about character outfits yet. AC Scratch, what a delight. I can't just default play as, say, something that looks like the good ol' HUcasts for example (even if technically default for every other classes is sets of outfit close to the original designs). Unless they added the "melder set" to character creation (which I haven't checked), you have to GAMBLE your way with AC scratch to get it. Good times. More money burnt there. Then again, that might be too specific so that doesn't count... and probably should just buy it off someone's shop... for half a million meseta if I'm lucky? After I buy premium first to be able to trade, that is... unless I get something out of the FUN scratch I guess.

Alright, so maybe it isn't as BAD as Nexon... but it ends up being as costly or more costly than a game on its own to get the same things without having to pray the gods of luck in the scratches every couple days. Still, might be worth it in the long run. I mean, it's not like SEGA's selling everyone the Episodes in PSO2.

Alright, I'll admit I was wrong.

I clearly just got intimidated by the insane amount of things that cost you money right off compared to the older PSO/PSU games. I still think the ACScratch/GoldScratch gambling bit sucks balls though. Just get a shop proper for that kinda shit, SEGA, geez, maybe THEN you'll be able to legally release outside Japan. Gambling regulations in Japan aren't the same and more accepting of that kinda stuff because it's technically "not gambling" since you are using money to get "stuff" not more money, so I wouldn't be surprised that's a big thing in preventing PSO2's release internationally, or just in North America... wait, who am I kidding, The Battle Cats is littered with that shit and is available here just fine. I have no idea anymore. I'm tired. I dunno, there's got to be something more to it. I WANT TO BELIEVE.

Still. Ship transfer fees suck though; while not going as far as PSO ver1 or ver2 on Dreamcast where not only could you get on ALL servers, but on any ship at anytime, you could, in PSU (in American servers) just jump ships whenever to go see people populating ship x or y, without losing anything. That bit still bothers me about PSO2. A lot. Especially given all the things that DON'T transfer over to the other ship. Not only it isn't free, but it's a botched cheaped-out transfer at that. Best just start another character instead.

landman
May 7, 2016, 11:46 AM
AC outfits can be bought with meseta from player shops, your room tikets are almost free, you only need to reach a certain level and drown on cubes to purchase them, and with time you will have enough FUN points to get 3 day shop tikets from gambling those free points, it's still behind RNG but it's not completely out of reach for free players.

The only "real" advantage of premium set is being able to trade 10-12* weapons and 10-11* units into tickets to purchase other weapons and units from the player shop, but you only need to be premium once and get more tickets that you will ever need, and not bother with premium ever again, unless you want a shop 24-7, and some players may come and say that there is no need for 11-12* because crafting.

IMO premium is only mandatory if you play mostly in the shop counter and earn meseta by playing the market, and most of the player-base does not play that way.

Ziel
May 7, 2016, 11:48 AM
I still think the ACScratch/GoldScratch gambling bit sucks balls though. Just get a shop proper for that kinda shit, SEGA, geez, maybe THEN you'll be able to legally release outside Japan.

Gambling has NOTHING at all to do with sega west release lagalization.

Cosmic break (this one is japanese, with a NA release super p2w and ALL gacha/gamble based), RO2, Grind Fantasia and many many others have these "Gamble for cosmetics or even p2w stuff" systems in its NA release versions.

i do hope you were kidding in the parts that you need premium to buy stuff of player shops and 500k meseta a cast part with the current payout of xqcos+tacos x 3 free characters is more than affordable.

FANSean
May 7, 2016, 12:25 PM
Amusingly enough most of Sega's updates through the latter portions of Ep3 into Ep4 were to basically invalidate a lot of AC necessities. The Bonus Card gave us a ton of Halfdolls (which were once pretty rare) and even Grind Skip +5, which negated the need for AC Scratch items for a Grind Skip +7.

The increasing availability of certain affixes means the affix market has pretty significantly deflated, so shop passes/premium isn't really what it used to be, the increasing availability of 11, 12 and 13* culminating in Collection File giving top-tier 12* and accessible while potent 13* means that the weapon passes are almost unnecessary these days. Yeah, collection file has a cooldown you can negate via Star Gems but 48 hours is so insignificant it may as well be there only for formality.

Pet Feeds are kind of a thing but those are honestly more charitable than Mag feedings if you ask me (Though Past Level 100 it gets kinda mean leveling a pet...), Collecting is the only thing that I'm on the fence on in terms of greediness. ... Well, that and Skill Trees/Mags, but widespread knowledge basically negates the 'cost' regarding that feature. It probably hurts for a lot of the new PS4 players who don't know any better though...

[Ayumi]
May 7, 2016, 12:50 PM
As someone who lives on a shitty country that has blocked all and every online shopping no matter how much money you make, sincerely.

Fuck This

And thats exactly the problem i have with a "western release" is "release it for the USA, maybe mexico and canada, fuck everyone else"

I cant play any of the new AAA games that have been released, cant play any of the "Buy to play" online games that come out and its not even a hardware issue.

I even WANT TO and CAN pay for premium and scratches but due to the stupid circumstances cant buy ac or anything, you have no idea how happy i am this game is not p2w garbage like many other (even japanese games) that are (loking at you cosmic break).

Yeah fuck me and everyone else that cant afford anything besides f2p p2w garbages.

I wanna keep the full cosmetic not gear dependant model of pso2 that im playing right now, thank you.

Oh and if you didnt noticed, yes im saltier than a mermaid`s arse about this specific topic.

Plus, I like the idea of having alt accounts and not having to pay a monthly fee for all of them.
Or some of my old old old old account I've left to rot (like my 1st 1st PSO2 account I left to die years ago), I can go back to it if I ever wanted to.. no problem without paying a fee.

It's been established that SEGA is earning quite a large amount of money from PSO2.
But I'm sure it's not so much from the "pay to win" stuff like Scape Dolls that almost nobody buys.
It's more the AC scratches. Outfits, accessories, lobby actions, upgrade items, etc.

PSO2 has some crucial stuff (eg. Mags) locked behind paywall, but it's not as bad as other games I've played.
It's also very generous in giving people Half-Dolls and Este Tickets for free. Stuff like that.
Although it wasn't like that originally.
It's also possible to solo most stuff without dying. Other games, not really possible.

This is another thing I like for my "PSO" games. The ability to solo things. Some of the stuff takes longer than playing with others.. like PSO Ultimate or PSO2 Ultimate and PSU S3 and other crap but yeah... still doable.

Yeah I guess that's a bad example, but I find it annoying there are skills (not a lot, mind you) that are all "75% chance of not dying when you should have died" at max. Then again, if you just suck less sure that skill is useless (and so are scape dolls) that might be negligible, but makes you think then "what a waste of a skill, why does it even EXIST". Though that isn't that big a deal
I've seen many other games that's not in the PS series where when you die you're penalized whether it's in drops or exp or losing exp or something. I rather let's say die in a mission I need to S/A rank and either hope someone is around or I just go back to ship and try again.
TAs and XQs are the only things I can think of that if you die and no one around that you're fucked... and even then only in XQ as you lose the ticket... which you can get back with excubes which isn't hard to get either as you can get those in abundance in EQs or simply finding 10+* weps you don't want/need and recycling them.

If we are starting to think PSU, having your own room and everything that came with it basically requires monthly sub here (not even gonna mention offline as a worthy element, because well, not like PSO2 has one). But I guess it's not so bad, since the game is free by default here...
You can keep a room up almost constantly if you once again have cubes which is easy to get as I mentioned above. There's a 3 day room pass in the excube shop that cost only like 3 cubes I think (not near the shop to confirm) which is... really not hard.

But count in extra mags (unless you play ONE character), extra characters (if you don't want to pay for extra mags and don't want to pay for skill trees), skill trees (minimum to be viable if you want to have a minimum of diversity in one character) and maybe the same features of the PSO/PSU games at the ready, you'll end up paying monthly for the game in the end anyway. But yeah sure we don't have to, but compared to Nexon games I've played and never had to put money in, I hardly see myself be able to do the same thing with PSO2; too many little things costing you 3$ here, 6$ there... and 20$ here (if you want inventory space - not extra storage space because that's another story [and another 'premium' braquet/category of monthly costs]). Maybe because I lost interest in Nexon games before feeling like putting money, so that has to be a sign for something. Still, I was more put off by their games then by their cash-grabbing non-sense. In PS02, it's the other way around.

Mag: Weren't you only getting one mag per character on PSO too? I mean yeah you could've made a new character and take that mag off them, but still you had one mag per char.
Mags aren't necessary either if you like a specific class. Like while I play all class
with one character, then yeah I'll have 3 mags on her, but I personally like/main range class as I've been a "RA" since PSO1 so my 1st mag was the range mag.
Sega has now given everyong 3 free character slots.. and you know what that mean. If means, that if you want to play all 3 class styles, you can make 1 Strike, 1 Range, and 1 Tech.

Extra characters: Like I said, you got 3 free ones you can make. More is good, but don't forget that PSO and PSU mainly you only had 4 (or 8 on a certain server of PSU) so you're just off by one. One day I'm sure they would make a 4th free but still...

Skilltrees: Once again the same as the mag situation. Not needed and you can have 3 free characters.
Back to my main as an example before she got 3 mags... I've been range most of my Phantasy life so I had range trees. I did later went like let's say Ra/Gu and then Gu/Hu. Being Gu/Hu, I won't have a hunter main tree because I wouldn't main hunter so I would have a skill tree to use it as a sub. If I want to main hunter, I would have another character in those free 3 slots to make the main hunter tree.
While I've been playing for a while, I only have one character that has more than one tree on her. My main got 2 braver trees (one for bow and one for katana), and other than that I don't have more than one tree. This yes mean that while she plays all clases, she uses her main hunter tree when I play Gu/Hu now. It's not perfect and not the "OMG BEST!" it can be, but it's manageable and not crippling to the point that I notice. I only can notice if I go on one of my other characters who would always ONLY be range so she only has a hunter sub tree. She's stronger than my main but my main isn't having trouble pulling her weight or soloing many high level things in the game.

The only feature PSU had that's behind premium in PSO2 is the shop and trading.
And trading is somewhat very shitty anyway. You could not trade anything above 9* so... what's really the point of it? The only benefit in trading in this game is trading meseta which you can transfer between each other through shop.
Which brings me to shop which yes it's nice to have, but you can get one if you're one of the golden prophets of Falz and luckily get one through the FUN scratch. Not as viable as with AC, but it's still possible to get without paying a single dime.

And we're not even talking about character outfits yet. AC Scratch, what a delight. I can't just default play as, say, something that looks like the good ol' HUcasts for example (even if technically default for every other classes is sets of outfit close to the original designs). Unless they added the "melder set" to character creation (which I haven't checked), you have to GAMBLE your way with AC scratch to get it. Good times. More money burnt there. Then again, that might be too specific so that doesn't count... and probably should just buy it off someone's shop... for half a million meseta if I'm lucky? After I buy premium first to be able to trade, that is... unless I get something out of the FUN scratch I guess.

I'll let you in on a little secret that no one knows about me... okay maybe a lot know about me.
I don't AC scratch. I only AC scratched once... and that was in the beta to get that rappy suit and that was the AC Sega gave us to mess around with in the beta.
I have never AC scratched and will NEVER AC scratch. I see it as a gamble and I hate gambling to see if I maybe get something I fucking want.

So... where do I get my outfits and accesories and such?
Player shops.
Yup, I use money I get from wherever (like TA and XQ) and buy my shit right from people.
Also you said you would like to look like a HUcast, you do know... Sega every so often do a campaign thing where you don't have to spend a dime and get free Ragol Memories which you use to get PSO styled things, right?
They don't always do it, but it's still there.

You also make 500k sound like a lot. I used to say the same when I 1st started PSO2. I would praise myself when I get 2mil. You do know you can get 500k almost a day from just doing some of the daily orders? If you have 3 free characters and do those same orders on all 3 and if they gave EXACTLY 500k then you make 1.5mil right there? The only thing I can see you can complain about would be lobby actions and certain ugly looking hair (OPINION! OPINION! MY OPINION!) for like 20+mil or 30+mil which I say isn't needed at all (okay maybe the hair if you want it).
And if we put TA and XQ in the mix you can do weekly per character (that mean you can do 3 TA/XQs a week if you want to) they can give around 2.5mil per set... that's 7.5mil a week you can get on those 3 characters while excluding the daily orders which you can maybe make like 12 to 15mil (or more) a week from doing those things.

Alright, so maybe it isn't as BAD as Nexon... but it ends up being as costly or more costly than a game on its own to get the same things without having to pray the gods of luck in the scratches every couple days. Still, might be worth it in the long run. I mean, it's not like SEGA's selling everyone the Episodes in PSO2.
I don't see it being more costly than a paid subscription honestly. People can go months without spending AC again (and I know a lot that do that). They get AC for premium of one month and do all they got to do they've been stocking and storing until that day, get a shit ton done, and then when premium expire they're set for a good long time until they need to do so again.

Not bringing up the AC Scratch talk again.

I clearly just got intimidated by the insane amount of things that cost you money right off compared to the older PSO/PSU games. I still think the ACScratch/GoldScratch gambling bit sucks balls though. Just get a shop proper for that kinda shit, SEGA, geez, maybe THEN you'll be able to legally release outside Japan. Gambling regulations in Japan aren't the same and more accepting of that kinda stuff because it's technically "not gambling" since you are using money to get "stuff" not more money, so I wouldn't be surprised that's a big thing in preventing PSO2's release internationally, or just in North America... wait, who am I kidding, The Battle Cats is littered with that shit and is available here just fine. I have no idea anymore. I'm tired. I dunno, there's got to be something more to it. I WANT TO BELIEVE.

"I still think the ACScratch/GoldScratch gambling bit sucks balls though."
I agree, and that's why I never scratched (unless I got an itch on my body HAHAHAHAHAHAHA shitty joke... shut up).

Still. Ship transfer fees suck though; while not going as far as PSO ver1 or ver2 on Dreamcast where not only could you get on ALL servers, but on any ship at anytime, you could, in PSU (in American servers) just jump ships whenever to go see people populating ship x or y, without losing anything. That bit still bothers me about PSO2. A lot. Especially given all the things that DON'T transfer over to the other ship. Not only it isn't free, but it's a botched cheaped-out transfer at that. Best just start another character instead.

You know the whole "ship" thing of PSO and PSU are what are considered blocks in this game right?
If you had everyone from every ship of PSO2 in one gigantic ship, there would be stability problems. Sega isn't the 1st to do this so I wouldn't complain here. I even saw from a few of those nexon games I tried in the past too having things to lock/log onto and unable to change unless you make another character.
As for the whole moving all over the many ships, I'm kind of fine without having to move over randomly like that as I can see that causing problems as I'm sure all of those ships are on their own servers/drives which can get very messy.
OH I remembered another game like that... FFXI.

Z-0
May 7, 2016, 12:53 PM
If you had everyone from every ship of PSO2 in one gigantic ship, there would be stability problems.
No there wouldn't be. All they have to do is let you access all your characters from every ship. Bam, problem solved.

[Ayumi]
May 7, 2016, 12:55 PM
No there wouldn't be. All they have to do is let you access all your characters from every ship. Bam, problem solved.

Then explain why other companies that's not Sega does this? Making it sound like Sega is the only ones that ever did this when they have a lot of people playing PSO2 at a time on certain ships.

BWS-1
May 7, 2016, 01:17 PM
;3353397'] (all the things)

Well wow, thanks for filling me in with all that. Obviously, since I never jumped on a JP version of PSO (other than PSO ver1 on Dreamcast), I'd rather keep on waiting. But with everything you said, at least I feel more comfortable with the idea of ever seeing a release of PSO2 as it is right now. All seems more manageable, and really, I wouldn't mind GIVING sega money for the extra skill trees if I want to keep everything on one character. I just don't want to end up pouring money into PSO2 the same way I'd pour in money in a Japanese arcade.

But still, I want the Melder set (closest thing I'd ever get to HUcast) to be part of the default Cast looks. x~x

Every other race and class has their "Ragol Memories"-style by default when you MAKE a character, why not the HU-type CAST? No, has to be looking like an anorexic gundam who lost his way into this franchise for god-knows-what-reason, with FOcast understandably being new and RAcast being almost picture-perfect upgraded style from [insert all PSOs from the past here].

I would be willing to think someone lost a bet at SEGA: "I dare you to ruin the perfectly fine HUcast design instead of upgrading it! It's not like anyone will care! I DOUBLE DARE YOU". And on the following day, someone had to dress silly at the office, thanks to that. Also, HUcasts were ruined from PSO2 on day1 launch.

Powder Keg
May 7, 2016, 01:26 PM
It's way too late and they know it.

Anyone not playing already lost interest at this point. A 15 year old game is still more popular.

jooozek
May 7, 2016, 01:41 PM
;3353400']Then explain why other companies that's not Sega does this? Making it sound like Sega is the only ones that ever did this when they have a lot of people playing PSO2 at a time on certain ships.

monetising ship transfers in context of ship-based limits is why as of now they wouldn't want to merge ships :wacko: blocks of blocks already are on different servers as was already observed by people just checking what IPs does the game connect to when :wacko:

also, personally i would start afresh on servers with better ping, being able to actually communicate on a level more than a greeting and goodbye, even more so that in january segac locked me out of my old account on which i had had thousands of hours played

TaigaUC
May 7, 2016, 01:47 PM
I've AC scratched a few times and got almost nothing but garbage for it.
So I don't AC scratch. It's not hard to earn money in-game, unlike other games.
But because of that, prices keep rising.

@Ayumi
Because a lot of people are stupid and shitty at game design? I dunno.
I'm sure there's monetary incentives involved.

There's also a thing where people just copy what other people have done up to this point.
"Because it works". They don't even think about improving it. Especially because it's risky to experiment.
That's why most games nowadays are mostly copies of each other.

A JP friend was telling me something like, in (I think it was) FF14, you can play with friends easily? But you can't because in PSO2 because of the ship and block system.
I don't remember exactly what they said. Haven't played FF14 either, so I don't know.
I know FF11 had that World Pass bullshit that took them a while to remove/improve.

In general I don't want to pay money for simple stuff that really should have been free/not a pain up the ass to begin with.
When they intentionally make stuff a pain up the ass to get people to pay, they can suck my butt. I'm not paying them.
In fact it makes me want to not pay them at all.

jooozek
May 7, 2016, 01:52 PM
well, in FF14 for time being you can play cross-server with random people in location based datacentres so it limits by ping technically but there isn't any way currently to schedule playing with someone else from another server within a datacentre but apparently they are going to add a cross-server (within datacentre) party finder which will enable hooking up with people across servers, now you can only do it by randomly stumbling upon people from another server; friend list and whispering people from another server isn't possible though and likely never will be

TaigaUC
May 7, 2016, 01:53 PM
That reminds me, Blade and Soul China has that cross-server dungeon matching system.
It didn't work well though. People kept getting disconnected or leaving.
And there was still the possibility of hooking up with leechers or assholes.
Sucks to wait a while for a group just to end up disbanding.

The joys of online gaming.
I don't even want to play with random people I don't know.

landman
May 7, 2016, 02:50 PM
The western BnS also has the cross server dungeon match up, but it's laggier than if you just go to the world in your server and open an instance, and that for certain classes is gamebreaking.

More than ship/server limitations (which is provably BS) the main problem is block confinement, but at least it has a server-wide party finder unlike the previous games, but it's still kind of useless if that block is full.

BTW:
PSO2 blocks = PSO ships = PSU universes
PSO2 Ships = PSO/PSU servers (JP, EU, US, Xbox, etc. you could only move freely between them in DC and GC)

PSO blocks are instances / channels for lobbies that reached the player limit, but you could access the same parties from the counter.

Zorak000
May 7, 2016, 04:51 PM
I mean, it would be nice to not be constantly fighting gamegaurd to be able to play the game in english

Sesheenku
May 7, 2016, 08:05 PM
The only solution is they release English language option for JP PSO2 and officially allow us to play on their servers.

That's it. Literally.

I'm not starting over on NA servers. Not dealing with content being behind because it has to go through two branches.

Don't even need English VA just let me read what they're saying and I'm good.

pkemr4
May 7, 2016, 08:17 PM
pull a granblue and google translate everything and call it a global release

PrinceBrightstar
May 7, 2016, 08:41 PM
As much as I would hate THIS to be the reason for the delay, it's possible this could have all been planned so they could release the game at the same time the (what I'm calling) wild west area is released.

PhantomBuffalo
PhantomCaravan
PhantomRider
PhantomVultur
PhantomDog
PhantomUFO

Sesheenku
May 7, 2016, 08:44 PM
As much as I would hate THIS to be the reason for the delay, it's possible this could have all been planned so they could release the game at the same time the (what I'm calling) wild west area is released.

PhantomBuffalo
PhantomCaravan
PhantomRider
PhantomVultur
PhantomDog
PhantomUFO

They better not @_@ Nobody will leave JP server.... the worst thing though, I bet if they did make an NA server they'll IP ban us :l probably without a server transfer either.

[Ayumi]
May 7, 2016, 11:55 PM
Well wow, thanks for filling me in with all that. Obviously, since I never jumped on a JP version of PSO (other than PSO ver1 on Dreamcast), I'd rather keep on waiting. But with everything you said, at least I feel more comfortable with the idea of ever seeing a release of PSO2 as it is right now. All seems more manageable, and really, I wouldn't mind GIVING sega money for the extra skill trees if I want to keep everything on one character. I just don't want to end up pouring money into PSO2 the same way I'd pour in money in a Japanese arcade.

But still, I want the Melder set (closest thing I'd ever get to HUcast) to be part of the default Cast looks. x~x

Every other race and class has their "Ragol Memories"-style by default when you MAKE a character, why not the HU-type CAST? No, has to be looking like an anorexic gundam who lost his way into this franchise for god-knows-what-reason, with FOcast understandably being new and RAcast being almost picture-perfect upgraded style from [insert all PSOs from the past here].

I would be willing to think someone lost a bet at SEGA: "I dare you to ruin the perfectly fine HUcast design instead of upgrading it! It's not like anyone will care! I DOUBLE DARE YOU". And on the following day, someone had to dress silly at the office, thanks to that. Also, HUcasts were ruined from PSO2 on day1 launch.

I disagree a bit there on the styles.
HUmar yeah look kinda the same, HUnewearl too, FOmar, FOmarl, FOnewm, FOnewearl, RAcast, RAcaseals and RAmar yes.
RAmarl looks fucking horrible in my opinion (especially around the legs), HUcaseals, and HUcast as you mentioned. The classes that came out on PS0 though I think look a lot better here than the DS game... like HUmarl.
And yeah I don't know what they were thinking with the HUcast look at all as it doesn't look like it can survive as a melee class. Look like one of those er... what's they called again from Star Wars. Drones? Droids? Whatever.

Getamped2 did the same shit (or does... don't know if that game is still online or not).

They better not @_@ Nobody will leave JP server.... the worst thing though, I bet if they did make an NA server they'll IP ban us :l probably without a server transfer either.

Honest question as I've seen this mentions for other games before (or maybe it was PSU and PSO2... I really can't remember now)
Has there ever been a game that did this? Honest question as I would really like to know. Whoever allowed this has to have a cool game for me to check out.

Totori
May 8, 2016, 01:29 AM
It's more than confirmed there wouldn't be a server transfer, that would be nothing but unfair. I mean the people that had a problem with that known the risk when they started playing I'm sure.

landman
May 8, 2016, 02:21 AM
I would gladly start over without a bank full of meseta and items inherited from previous characters, on a server were everyone is on the same situation as myself. That does not mean I would abandon my JP accounts, no big deal in "restarting" the game to change servers. The ONLY thing I would not do again is level up a Team Tree with a team of three members XD

TaigaUC
May 8, 2016, 02:38 AM
Those are enemy listings from datamining?
Sounds like the new area is going to be the Wild West or something.
Looking forward to Phantom Buffalo.

Even if PSO2 went to the West you'd still have to fight Gameguard.

Achelousaurus
May 8, 2016, 02:04 PM
Delaying a western release cause they have a wild west themed area somewhere down the line on the roadmap sounds so fucking stupid, I wouldn't be surprised if this is part of the reason XD.

Laughing so hard at this cause it sounds so real.

Zorak000
May 8, 2016, 02:07 PM
I think I remember CyberKitsune saying they found the start of some code that caused the game to use Steamgaurd instead of Gamegaurd in there while they were working on that private server

TaigaUC
May 8, 2016, 02:42 PM
Someone said a while ago that the reason they cancelled the West version is because their contract with the Asian versions doesn't allow them to put PSO2 on Steam.
Or something like that.

I'm sure there are a multitude of reasons why they just can't be bothered.

Pyromaster
May 8, 2016, 05:39 PM
I honestly need to make a poll if it even exists to see how many people whould actually abandon this server for a new engish server if it became a reality.

Totori
May 8, 2016, 05:48 PM
Dunno about abandon as you can just freely come back, just like playing another game. But there are peeps that have not played this game, and aren't going to bothering with the JP version. So the number would be off to what an actual server would feature.

arokidaaron
May 8, 2016, 06:21 PM

They already did this. Guess you never seen SEA Ep2 translations?

Maronji
May 8, 2016, 08:36 PM

That's not what he meant.

What Granblue did was they basically added a switch that allows you to switch between JP and EN, no new apps (unlike what some expected, which was an English release on the western Google Play Stores), no mastery of black magic required (beyond registration), just a switch. The translation isn't even quite 100%; there are still things here and there that just aren't translated (like all of the choices in one party member's Fate Episode, though all the dialogue is translated) if you know where to look. Some of the translations seem questionable as well, but at least it doesn't make me want to gouge my eyes out (looking at you, If My Heart Had Wings).

This is what one crowd wants, but the chances of it happening seem pretty slim, if you ask me. Square Enix, Sega is not.

EDIT: Added a detail or two.

Zeroem
May 8, 2016, 08:42 PM
Someone said a while ago that the reason they cancelled the West version is because their contract with the Asian versions doesn't allow them to put PSO2 on Steam.
Or something like that.

I'm sure there are a multitude of reasons why they just can't be bothered.

You meant this?
http://www.tssznews.com/2015/12/31/source-sega-japan-business-agreement-preventing-pso2-western-release/

Not the same thing. GBF just add a language selection in the game. One tap, and you can see the dialogues in English instead of Japanese kanji. It's the win-win solution; no progress lost, and people who didn't understand Japanese language can read what happened with the story.

It's the ideal solution honestly. Unfortunately, this is SEGA we're talking about.

arokidaaron
May 8, 2016, 08:42 PM
That's not what he meant.

What Granblue did was they basically added a switch that allows you to switch between JP and EN, no new apps (unlike what some expected, which was an English release on the western Google Play Stores), no mastery of black magic required (beyond registration), just a switch. The translation isn't even quite 100%; there are still things here and there that just aren't translated (like all of the choices in one party member's Fate Episode, though all the dialogue is translated) if you know where to look. Some of the translations seem questionable as well, but at least it doesn't make me want to gouge my eyes out (looking at you, If My Heart Had Wings).

This is what one crowd wants, but the chances of it happening seem pretty slim, if you ask me. Square Enix, Sega is not.

EDIT: Added a detail or two.

Sorry, I didn't clarify it. I meant the google translate part specifically. But i'm 99% sure that it won't happen. This would mean opening the servers to lots of bots and gold sellers also.

Sirius-91
May 8, 2016, 10:07 PM
Sorry, I didn't clarify it. I meant the google translate part specifically. But i'm 99% sure that it won't happen. This would mean opening the servers to lots of bots and gold sellers also.

Open Beta and Launch had bots. You don't see them anymore. Because SEGA IP banned china.

arokidaaron
May 8, 2016, 10:10 PM
Open Beta and Launch had bots. You don't see them anymore. Because SEGA IP banned china.

Yes, but what I meant is that "IF" they opened JP server with official english translations, there would be bots/gold spammers comming not from China.

selfhate91
May 9, 2016, 02:54 PM
wha? you can RMT in pso2?
why?

[Ayumi]
May 9, 2016, 07:01 PM
wha? you can RMT in pso2?
why?

Reasons.
I still remember going into explore either for certain orders and such. And would just see exp popping up randomly or seeing enemies like teleport away from me and a ton of rangers just blasting at calls with launchers over and over and over again with what looked like the reload animation missing.
And very very expensive monomates showing up in shops.

MegaMettaurX
May 10, 2016, 04:23 PM
10 years later, we're gonna see a post about sega still trying to release PSO2 in the west.

BWS-1
May 10, 2016, 04:28 PM
10 years later, we're gonna see a post about sega still trying to release PSO2 in the west.

Hey we might get it just in time for PSO's 20th anniversary at this rate.

Keilyn
May 10, 2016, 05:00 PM
The next generation of gaming is VR-Games...

There are already nearly 300 titles in development. Some of these titles are being made for VR-ONLY and not Monitor or TV-Support. Meaning a person can power on their computer, but if they want to play the game they will actually need the VR headset itself and the system will make a check for it.

The technical specifications required for FULL-VR Gaming are extreme. Below is a list of what is being asked for to enter "minimum specifications" for Full-VR.

Processor: Previous Generation Intel Quad Core
Video Card: GTX 970+
RAM: 16GB

Minimum Specification are for VR-Compatible Systems wishing to take part in semi-immersion of the VR System. Don't even try installing the game in a HDD... You will need SSD.

Recommended Specifications are as follows

Processors: Current to Next Generation Intel Processor
Video Card: Full SLI 980 GTX+
RAM: 24 - 32GB

VR Framerate is going to be 90 frames per second, not 60....

Thanks to this breakthrough in technology, all consoles in this current generation have become obsolete and useless unless one wants to continue in current gaming trends. All of the consoles have the specification for reduced resolution VR-Support, but none of them have the specifications to run a full Native VR-Game @framerate and @resolution.

I don't care about PSO-2 in the west. That was soooo 2012. Its 2016 and I am preparing for the 2018 - 2020 onslaught. :)

BWS-1
May 10, 2016, 05:53 PM
I wouldn't mind sticking with "old school/non-VR" refined/cleaned up 2012 gaming if I could... for maybe until 2020 who knows. I've played back with games like Guardian Heroes on 360 for longer than I did with the original SEGA SATURN version so... if PSO2 can get a similar treatment? (who am I kidding, two different "games" to handle altogether) I'd be happy!

Speaking of refined/cleaned up version, or lack thereof, why is PSO2 SO HUGE? And where does that extra 4.99 gig come from for the PS4 version?! HIDDEN ENGLISH VOICE AND TEXT FILES?

Keilyn
May 10, 2016, 06:17 PM
I wouldn't mind sticking with "old school/non-VR" refined/cleaned up 2012 gaming if I could... for maybe until 2020 who knows. I've played back with games like Guardian Heroes on 360 for longer than I did with the original SEGA SATURN version so... if PSO2 can get a similar treatment? (who am I kidding, two different "games" to handle altogether) I'd be happy!

Speaking of refined/cleaned up version, or lack thereof, why is PSO2 SO HUGE? And where does that extra 4.99 gig come from for the PS4 version?! HIDDEN ENGLISH VOICE AND TEXT FILES?

:) Seems like we both like older games.
I have the old FF games on Ipad and Emulator...

...though my favorite game way back in the day was an old Original Nintendo game called "The Guardian Legend." I still play from time to time. :)

Rupikachu
May 10, 2016, 06:48 PM
Minimum Specification are for VR-Compatible Systems wishing to take part in semi-immersion of the VR System. Don't even try installing the game in a HDD... You will need SSD.

That's pretty much bullshit.

The Walrus
May 10, 2016, 07:07 PM
vr isn't even gonna be worth it for a long time :/

lunamaniac
May 10, 2016, 07:18 PM
vr isn't even gonna be worth it for a long time :/

It'll be worth it when we can plug it directly into out brains. :-)

Forget to eat and die :grin:

Zeroem
May 10, 2016, 07:20 PM
VR at the moment still too costly to be a thing for now.

Unless they can reduce the size and the cost for the VR equipment.

[Ayumi]
May 10, 2016, 07:37 PM
I will never get into VR. So if everything just become VR and old style gaming will be done, that will be when I give up on gaming (in the new age at least)

Sesheenku
May 10, 2016, 07:48 PM
VR thing's just a fad a dead corpse of a failed idea trying to make a come back.

It's a cool idea but that's just it, it's not going to beat simply sitting down and pushing buttons and it certainly isn't going to make it go away.

Manually moving around with your body is so fun only for a while.

On the other hand I'd love to see horror games make use of it but just about everything else I'd rather have my controller and 3rd person if possible.

At BEST this VR thing will become something that can be used alongside normal gaming but it won't overtake it or make normal gaming go away.

Zyrusticae
May 10, 2016, 08:52 PM
^- lol-worthy post if I've ever seen one

It's extremely obvious when someone has never even tried it. Especially room-scale VR with the Vive or similar high-quality apparatus. You literally feel like you're inside the game. It's ridiculous.

VR's gonna be HUGE, and it sure as hell ain't a "fad". Especially not with how much money is being poured into R&D specifically for it right now.

You are right, however, that it is going to exist alongside traditional gaming, rather than replacing it entirely. That will probably be the case right up until they develop neural headgear that lets us control things with our brains, while simultaneously simulating the inner ear fluid responses that prevent motion sickness. But it'll be awhile before that becomes a thing...

Meteor Weapon
May 10, 2016, 09:17 PM
Dive feature in VR wouldn't be coming soon tho.

Nitro Vordex
May 10, 2016, 09:40 PM
What? No. If you had everyone from every ship on one server, that shit would crash HARD. I would bet money that the Ships have their own servers, datacenters, whatever. The game's lag is bad enough, if you have all those players pinging one server, it's over.

[Ayumi]
May 10, 2016, 10:00 PM
What? No. If you had everyone from every ship on one server, that shit would crash HARD. I would bet money that the Ships have their own servers, datacenters, whatever. The game's lag is bad enough, if you have all those players pinging one server, it's over.

And I'm sure Cmode is on once again their own servers which is why anyone from any ship can go there, but must leave their main ship and lose all their items (minus what they're wearing), friendlist, team, symbol art, etc.

lostinseganet
May 10, 2016, 10:24 PM
Delaying a western release cause they have a wild west themed area somewhere down the line on the roadmap sounds so fucking stupid, I wouldn't be surprised if this is part of the reason XD.

Laughing so hard at this cause it sounds so real.Nah I bet its the lolis and the japan themed stage with the black giant soldiers. They will get hit from soccer moms and the NAACP.

[Ayumi]
May 10, 2016, 11:29 PM
Nah I bet its the lolis and the japan themed stage with the black giant soldiers. They will get hit from soccer moms and the NAACP.

I recently finally got up to EP3 of the story and when I saw the main story of Harkotan it's sad the my 1st thought was...

"If this came out over here, I can see a lot of stupid SJWs bitching about how this is racist and promoting discrimination and white dominance and other bs they like to spout."
It's stupid, but not hard to easily see what those people can come up with without using a brain cell.

TaigaUC
May 11, 2016, 01:45 AM
They'd probably complain that Harukotan is cultural appropriation.
There are dreadlocks, too. You know people will rage about that.

I think someone around here was raging at the Indian headgear a while back.